Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What we can learn from Nelson Mandela

Comments

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT
    antifrank said:

Off topic, the FT zeroes in on a puzzle that is at the heart of Britain's problems and politics:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4b82f884-5dd1-11e3-b3e8-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk#axzz2mcf3HnYb

"The OBR’s best guess is that much of this productivity loss has been structural, rather than just a result of weak demand. The watchdog notes that productivity has continued to languish this year as growth has revived. And while it forecasts output per hour to start growing again next year, it does not predict rapid catch-up growth to regain the lost ground.

This is central to its belief that the economy’s growth potential is lower than it was expected to be before the crisis. By 2019, it believes the level of potential output will be 15 per cent lower than the level the Treasury had expected in March 2008 before the crisis hit.

That is one reason why the OBR thinks more of the government’s budget deficit is structural and is not going to disappear naturally as the economic cycle turns.

“The unexpected strength of private consumption this year has largely come from lower saving, not higher income,” it said. “Ultimately, productivity-driven growth in real earnings is necessary to sustain the recovery.” This will not start to happen properly until 2015, it believes.

The OBR also cautioned that policy makers can do little to resolve the “cost of living crisis”, as the Labour party has put it, without better productivity. “Policy measures cannot continually improve the terms of trade, taxes cannot be cut indefinitely and workers can only work so many more hours in a day,” the OBR said. “Productivity growth is the only sustainable source of real income growth in the long term.” "

Mass immigration creates a deflationary spiral.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2013
    R0berts said:

antifrank said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

I wonder how many BBC staff will be flying out to South Africa, to cover events and soak up the Winter sunshine?

Loads I hope.

I also think we should have a new national holiday called Mandela Day. Wonder if Prime Minister Ed will be the type to think up imaginative and petty ways to irritate the Daily Mail tendency? He seems the type, here's hoping.

I'll give you the benefit and hope you're lightheartedly trolling

Could you imagine anything lamer and less appropriate than Nelson Mandela Day in England?
    Hehe right the first time. Some sort of high profile permanent memorial though, definitely.
    We already have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nelson_Mandela_on_Parliament_Square,_Westminster_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1229312.jpg

And this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nelson_Mandela_bust,_Southbank,_London.jpg

That seems like quite enough to me for a foreign head of state whose primary achievements, however inspirational, were domestic to that country.
    More!

Nelson Mandela Museum, dedicated to political correctness gone mad - sorry, the fight against racism - throughout history. That should be suitably irritating to Mail readers.
    R0berts said:

antifrank said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

I wonder how many BBC staff will be flying out to South Africa, to cover events and soak up the Winter sunshine?

Loads I hope.

I also think we should have a new national holiday called Mandela Day. Wonder if Prime Minister Ed will be the type to think up imaginative and petty ways to irritate the Daily Mail tendency? He seems the type, here's hoping.

Could you imagine anything lamer and less appropriate than Nelson Mandela Day in England?
    Hehe right the first time. Some sort of high profile permanent memorial though, definitely.
    We already have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nelson_Mandela_on_Parliament_Square,_Westminster_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1229312.jpg

And this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nelson_Mandela_bust,_Southbank,_London.jpg

That seems like quite enough to me for a foreign head of state whose primary achievements, however inspirational, were domestic to that country.
    More!

Nelson Mandela Museum, dedicated to political correctness gone mad - sorry, the fight against racism - throughout history. That should be suitably irritating to Mail readers.
    Turf Dacre out of Northcliffe House , and base it there.

Tony Blair can conduct the official opening ceremony, whilst Cherie supermarket sweeps the gift shop.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,998
    edited December 2013
    R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

Loads I hope.

Phew!

I don't know about the memorial really. It would give the impression that the struggles a few people in the UK have are in some way comparable to those of black South Africans in the 20th Century. I can see people who are slightly worse off than others under present conditions crowbarring embarrassing and factually lamentable parallels into public...

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,997
    edited December 2013

O/T

Steven Burrell, 21, spent 16 months hacking profiles on Runescape - the world's biggest online role-playing game - A court heard he then sold people's virtual items, such as potions, weapons and cooking equipment, on auction sites and forums to raise up to £3,000.

Surely this must qualify for the ultimate ‘Nerd’ crime award…!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10500271/Hacker-in-court-over-thefts-in-online-fantasy-game.html

Hmm Seems that crime pays (Sort of), £160 fine for £3000 of income, the two computers are probably worth £500 each at a guess. Thus the 150 hours of his work will effectively be paying him ~ between £12.26 and £14.50/hour I make it.

His items he has sold on E-Bay will be the property of Jagex as per their EULA so I wonder if they will pursue him civilly for the £3 grand. But as it has been dealt with criminally I am not certain if they can...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Mass immigration creates a deflationary spiral.

In wages, perhaps, but not in the price of goods and services.

And that is the pinch people are really feeling.

Its partly global. In the past when western growth was weak then the cost of living would ease because we were the only market in town.

That is no longer the case. The cost of living has kept rising even amid slow growth because important markets world are growing, and growing fast.
  • Options
    isam said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

Loads I hope.

Phew!

I don't know about the memorial really. It would give the impression that the struggles a few people in the UK have are in some way comparable to those of black South Africans in the 20th Century. I can see people who are slightly worse off than others under present conditions crowbarring embarrassing and factually lamentable parallels into public...

The struggle for EMA ;)
  • Options
    I note the flash poll below and how the people below in that poll have rated the Autumn statement. I know the usual caveats of small sub-sample and one poll, however, it re-enforces my belief that the papers sway on the voters is receding very quickly. The number of certain papers and Sky News fawning over the Autumn Statement should have lead to a resounding positive, however, thanks I think mainly to the internet, people are more than ever making their own mind up of how it will effect them. Certain papers and Sky News might be telling them how fantastic everything is, however, people are trusting their own views and circumstances. The days of "The Sun what won it" are over.

Not only are the papers losing their readership, they are struggling to control their remaining readerships political views, like they have been able to in the past......which is not a bad thing.

This can only be a negative for a certain party
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

Loads I hope.

Phew!

The struggle for EMA ;)
    We'll never know what the great man thought about the 'Bedroom Tax'.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Lennon said:

@SeanT - Brilliant - have you tried submitting it to the New Statesman?

Or Private Eye?
    Spot on there, but I can pretty well guarantee that PE will be doing their own version(s).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    good day to bury bad news...

Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin have held surprise talks on a "strategic partnership treaty".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25267130
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The days of "The Sun what won it" are over.

Were they ever really with us?

The Sun could only lay claim to deciding one of the last goodness knows how many (92). And its a very slim claim at that.
  • Options
    There's not a lot you can say to Henry's piece other than

Jeff Breslin ‏@jeffbres 11m

I might as well say it since everyone knows it - in time, history will view Salmond as Scotland's paler Mandela. #LongWalkToFreedom
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Looking forward to SeanT's blog post being published by the Telegraph as soon as possible.

No to censorship.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Populus (I THINK) is:

Lab 38
    Con 34
    LD 13
    UKIP 7

Numbers are not on front page of website (where they usually are) but tables can be accessed from polls page. See link. Fieldwork 4/5 Dec. I assume the headline numbers are as per page 3 which I have posted.

http://www.populus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Online_VI_06-12-2013_BPC.pdf
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Populus confirmed - now on front page of Populus website.

38/34/13/7 as posted below.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    @RichardNabavi
    Private Eye?

@SeanT - Brilliant - have you tried submitting it to the New Statesman?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    Great column by Henry. I've quoted it in its entirety (with credit to pb) on my own blog - hope that's OK with Henry and Mike.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    @taffys
    I'm sure they would give an arm and a leg for photos of Pippa Middleton at the South African High Commission :)
    taffys said:

Outpouring of Mandela indifference on the Mail

Already slithering down their agenda, replaced by storms.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Great column by Henry. I've quoted it in its entirety (with credit to pb) on my own blog - hope that's OK with Henry and Mike.

Did you put SeanT's up on your blog too in the interest of balance... ?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

Loads I hope.

How about naming a university JCR after him?
  • Options
    F1: when is a re-election not a re-election? When you're unopposed. Todt retains the presidency, and also the invisibility cloak he's been wearing for the last few years:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25263441
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I spilt my tea when I read that line. Blinking spot on @SeanT

SeanT: -“And I am even sadder about this than any of you, which is why I am, perhaps, in a pure and very humble sense, slightly better than you.”

I know the type - and have personally met far too many – gargoyles ever one of them.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Turf Dacre out of Northcliffe House , and base it there.

Tony Blair can conduct the official opening ceremony, whilst Cherie supermarket sweeps the gift shop.

Nah, Cherie will be busy in Wholefoods, the suitably premium supermarket
  • Options
    Seen on a link on Guido.

"He could charm the birds off the trees—and cash right out of wallets. He told me once how Margaret Thatcher had personally donated £20,000 to his foundation. “How did you do that?” I gasped. The Iron Lady, who was famously frugal, kept a tight grip on her purse. “I asked,” he said with a laugh. “You’ll never get what you want if you don’t ask.” Then he lowered his voice conspiratorially and said her donation had nauseated some of his cohorts. “Didn’t she try to squash our movement?” they complained. His response: “Didn’t De Klerk crush our people like flies? And I’m having tea with him next week … He’ll be getting the bill.”

Read more: Bono Honors Madiba, The Man Who Could Not Cry | TIME.com http://world.time.com/2013/12/05/bono-the-man-who-could-not-cry/#ixzz2mi9nxcKR
  • Options
    Arganath 2 hours ago

Oborne wins the prize for the most OTT headline so far:

''Few human beings can be compared to Jesus Christ. Nelson Mandela was one''

Has Mary Riddle written an article yet? only she can top that, and the only figure left after Gandhi and Jesus is God himself.....

Was Nelson Mendela actually God? http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/johnmcternan1/100248969/nelson-mandela-had-a-unique-gift-he-was-able-to-govern-in-poetry/#disqus_thread
  • Options
    Amstell forced into apology for light-hearted and (from the description) amusing reference to racial segregation at the BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25256315
  • Options
    Plato said:

Arganath 2 hours ago

Has Mary Riddle written an article yet? only she can top that, and the only figure left after Gandhi and Jesus is God himself.....

Was Nelson Mendela actually God? http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/johnmcternan1/100248969/nelson-mandela-had-a-unique-gift-he-was-able-to-govern-in-poetry/#disqus_thread

This is going to sound ridiculous...

I agree that a lot of the tributes are rather sickly... but I can see the JC comparison!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    dr_spyn said:

Seen on a link on Guido.

"He could charm the birds off the trees—and cash right out of wallets. He told me once how Margaret Thatcher had personally donated £20,000 to his foundation. “How did you do that?” I gasped. The Iron Lady, who was famously frugal, kept a tight grip on her purse. “I asked,” he said with a laugh. “You’ll never get what you want if you don’t ask.” Then he lowered his voice conspiratorially and said her donation had nauseated some of his cohorts. “Didn’t she try to squash our movement?” they complained. His response: “Didn’t De Klerk crush our people like flies? And I’m having tea with him next week … He’ll be getting the bill.”

Read more: Bono Honors Madiba, The Man Who Could Not Cry | TIME.com http://world.time.com/2013/12/05/bono-the-man-who-could-not-cry/#ixzz2mi9nxcKR

Bono may have been channeling SeanT

"He had surgery in 1994 to put this right. Now, he could cry.

Today, we can"
  • Options
    World Cup draw coming up. Glad to see they have made it even more complicated than last time!!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Plato said:

Arganath 2 hours ago

I doubt Gandhi or Christ would have remained silent whilst Zuma spent 215M Rand building an opulent house, next to a township of 13,000 many of whom have no running water or electricity.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/29/jacob-zuma-accused-corruption-south-africa

• Options
    "Wealden Conservatives: At a packed public meeting, Nusrat Ghani was chosen to become our Parliamentary Candidate in 2015, when Charles Hendry will retire following 14 years service as our MP."

http://www.wealdenconservatives.com/news/nusrat-ghani-selected-open-primary-succeed-charles-hendry-mp-wealden-conservative-candidate
  • Options
    Mr. JS, wasn't Ghani the candidate who most impressed Mr. Nabavi on a previous thread?
  • Options
    isam said:

tim said:

Peter Oborne ‏@OborneTweets 9m
    Conservatives must acknowledge that they were wrong about Mandela. My latest blog post http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100249502/few-human-beings-can-be-compared-to-jesus-christ-nelson-mandela-was-

Repent collaborators, repent.

Funny, I was thinking that myself...

Mandela's life also reminds me of the plot of my favourite book, The Count Of Monte Cristo, although Mandela was more forgiving than Edmond Dantes,
    The Count of Monte Cristo is an excellent book, and it is also notable for having a really good film version.
  • Options
    Did Del Boy live in Nelson or Winnie Mandela House?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Apparently in the football World Cup draw England have been drawn in a group with The Vatican City, Sao Tome and the Pitcairn Islands. England football manager Roy Hodgson said :

"Clearly it's a tough group and there are no easy matches at this stage and we're just pleased to be here with the giants of world football.

I only hope we manage to escape our group although very obviously we're the underdog of the four teams."
  • Options

Did Del Boy live in Nelson or Winnie Mandela House?

Pretty sure it was Nelson
  • Options
    Interesting article, and comments, on turbos and how they'll work in F1 next year:
    http://thewptformula.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/analysis-turbochargers/
  • Options
    Boris's Tory mea culpa, though more 'they' than 'me'.

'Boris Johnson tells Michael Crick the Tories got it "completely wrong" on Mandela in the 1980s, when Margaret Thatcher called the ANC a terrorist group.'

http://tinyurl.com/nspj3vj
  • Options

isam said:

tim said:

Peter Oborne ‏@OborneTweets 9m
    Conservatives must acknowledge that they were wrong about Mandela. My latest blog post http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100249502/few-human-beings-can-be-compared-to-jesus-christ-nelson-mandela-was-

Repent collaborators, repent.

Funny, I was thinking that myself...

Mandela's life also reminds me of the plot of my favourite book, The Count Of Monte Cristo, although Mandela was more forgiving than Edmond Dantes,
    The Count of Monte Cristo is an excellent book, and it is also notable for having a really good film version.
    Not a particularly big reader, but I have read The Count three or four times. Love it so much.

The film was never going to match the one I had in my head, but it was a fair attempt. The change of ending bugged me badly, but I guess stories have to adapt to the time they are told in.

• Options
    Group E has some potential for England if they could get it: Honduras, Ecuador and Switzerland
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Boris's Tory mea culpa, though more 'they' than 'me'.

'Boris Johnson tells Michael Crick the Tories got it "completely wrong" on Mandela in the 1980s, when Margaret Thatcher called the ANC a terrorist group.'

http://tinyurl.com/nspj3vj

At risk of being moderated back into the stone age, what did this bloke actually do? He went to prison for something he possibly didn't do, then he was let out again. Like SeanT. He was married to Winnie. The South African Truth and Reconciliation commission found "Ms Winnie Madikizela Mandela politically and morally accountable for the gross violations of human rights", concluding that she had personally been responsible for the murder, torture, abduction and assault of numerous men, women and children, as well as indirectly responsible for even larger number of such crimes." She made a speech in 1986 praising the practice of "necklacing" - burning victims (invariably poor blacks) to death with diesel and car tyres, a process which takes 20 minutes of unimaginable agony. It took him till 1992 to separate from her. I think Jesus Christ took a rather more proactive stance against that sort of thing.
  • Options
    LOL

*CLAPS*
    JackW said:

Apparently in the football World Cup draw England have been drawn in a group with The Vatican City, Sao Tome and the Pitcairn Islands. England football manager Roy Hodgson said :

"Clearly it's a tough group and there are no easy matches at this stage and we're just pleased to be here with the giants of world football.

I only hope we manage to escape our group although very obviously we're the underdog of the four teams."

• Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Charles said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

Loads I hope.

How about naming a university JCR after him?
    Perhaps one where the Federation of Conservative Students meet, they've got some songs about him after all.
  • Options
    Hmm Fail to see how this draw could have been much worse for my three picks Uruguay, Chile and England !
  • Options
    Oh my life, just how many goals is Messi going to get in that group ??!!!
  • Options
    England on the way home from Brazil before the knock out stages.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Ladbrokes: After that horror draw, we go 33/1 on England to win the #WorldCup2014

For those of you who don't bet, that means if you bet £10, you will lose £10
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Ladbrokes: After that horror draw, we go 33/1 on England to win the #WorldCup2014

For those of you who don't bet, that means if you bet £10, you will lose £10

I wonder if there have ever been any groups before with 3 World Cup winners in them before?
  • Options
    England have had a mare!

I'd take

Hart, Forster, Foster

Walker, Johnson, Cole, Baines
    Jagielka, Cahill, Terry, Jones

Gerrard, Wilshere, Carrick, Barkley
    Townsend, Morrison, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sturridge, Rooney, Carroll
  • Options
    WHat the hell did I do to deserve those groups with my punts of Uruguay, England and Chile look to have got the roughest group of all.
  • Options
    1724:

Gary Lineker, BBC Sport
    "One of the positives is that Luis Suarez isn't in good form at the moment."

• Options
    edited December 2013
    antifrank said:

There's something very appropriate about Margaret Thatcher and Nelson Mandela dying in the same year. It's as if the 20th century has finally ended.

Sad news indeed. I keep hoping time will be reversed so I can attend music concerts by some of my favourite 80s pop bands, like Japan's Sons Of Pioneers tour in 1982.
  • Options
    What are the 'paths' of each team ?
  • Options
    @Coral: England are 8/15 to get out of the group. 6/4 to be knocked out!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    isam said:

England have had a mare!

I'd take

Hart, Forster, Foster

Walker, Johnson, Cole, Baines
    Jagielka, Cahill, Terry, Jones

Gerrard, Wilshere, Carrick, Barkley
    Townsend, Morrison, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sturridge, Rooney, Carroll

And leave them there?

Footballers Get Me Out Of Here.

I'd pay to see them stuck in the jungle.
  • Options
    To some extent, Italy are trading on their past glories at the moment.

(As are we all.)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

To some extent, Italy are trading on their past glories at the moment.

(As are we all.)

Hope so...

Chile is my punt that has had the real stinker in terms of a group.
  • Options
    The muddle headed & shallow minded leaping to denounce Smuts in the previous thread might like to read this contemporary article from The Economist on the Royal Tour of South Africa in 1947 and the challenges Smuts was facing:

http://www.economist.com/news/21583170-royal-tour-great-significance-divided-dominion
  • Options
    Interesting fact — Trevor Huddleston was born in Bedford:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Huddleston
  • Options
    Huge surge in Prozac sales expected late June 2014 as England fly home early from Brazil.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

1724:

Gary Lineker, BBC Sport
    "One of the positives is that Luis Suarez isn't in good form at the moment."

Yes Gary. He's only got 7 months to get back on top (Not that it makes any difference).
  • Options
    I don't understand how Sepp Blatter's Switzerland and Michel Platini's France both got such easy groups.
  • Options
    Stuart Dickson has a tricky decision ahead. Will it be good news for the Yes camp if England get knocked out early because all Scots will unite in derision for the underperforming English or will it be good news for the Yes camp if England get through because the English patriotism at this footballing success will unite all Scots in antipathy?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Interesting fact — Trevor Huddleston was born in Bedford:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Huddleston

Indeed and Mandela came here in 2000 to unveil a statue of Huddleston.

Let's be thankful that ex-Tory MP, Terry Dicks has no links with the town.

He said: “(Mandela) was just a terrorist, no different to the Irish terrorists, perhaps no different to the ones we’re fighting now … a terrorist is a terrorist … and if they (the apartheid regime) had wanted to they could have executed him, seriously, and then you wouldn’t have had all this fuss of ‘I lived 27 years in prison.’”

Mandela was “no different from … people like al-Qaeda, no different from bin Laden,”

http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/mandela-uk/27176#sthash.yZFKTVtL.pv3wzxIx.dpuf
  • Options
    I've been backing Uruguay for years. 40/1 at one point.

Piss easy draw for England.

Wind up Baloteli and Suarez and get them sent off in the first 10mins. Walkover for England.

Costa Rica are getting pounded like a dockside hooker.

They are shite. They've only ever beaten Scotland in a World Cup match.
  • Options
    @antifrank - Either way, it will be Good news for the Yes Camp! and A Victory for Eck!

Which group are Scotland in?

:Innocent Face:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Coral: England are 8/15 to get out of the group. 6/4 to be knocked out!

I don't bet, but is it me or does that 6/4 look like easy money?
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Fun Manaus fact4: Apparently there are no roads to Manaus. Either a flight. Or a two week boat up the amazon. Rooney should take the boat.
  • Options
    When Ed Miliband becomes PM he should appoint Phil Woolas as Minister for celebrating The Life of Nelson Mandela.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, like many here I hope Uruguay do well.

The bigger question is this: will the English football team be more disappointing than the English cricket team?
  • Options
    To be fair this is the first time England can go into a tournament with reasonable excuses for getting knocked out early.

"There are no expectations, we are in a very difficult group so just enjoy it" should be Roys advice

Pick a young squad. At least a dozen u-23s
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Amazing that England get shafted and France get off easy.
  • Options

The bigger question is this: will the English football team be more disappointing than the English cricket team?

English football.

English cricket has given me a lot of joy in the last few years.
  • Options
    Interesting tweet from Jim Murphy:

twitter.com/jimmurphymp/status/408745108277063680

"Jim Murphy ‏@jimmurphymp 18h

I spent all my teenage years in South Africa. Here's my obituary from the Scotsman newspaper of Nelson Mandela. http://tinyurl.com/qxfpxms"
  • Options

English football.

A no brainer

Our cricket team can claim to have been the best in the world in recent years, the football team has never been close.

• Options

I don't understand how Sepp Blatter's Switzerland and Michel Platini's France both got such easy groups.

It's a similar process to the one that led to Qatar being awarded the World Cup. i.e. open, transparent and entirely fair.
  • Options

English football.

And the England cricket team are likeable, almost Mandela-like in their humility.

The England football team are, by and large, complete t*ssers.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    edited December 2013
    Incidentally, a reminder to those of you upset by Australia slaughering us at cricket that next year will see the probable crushing of Ricciardo (who is, of course, an Aussie) by Vettel in F1. If he is, as I expect, bloody murdered, it'll be interesting to see if he stops smiling so much.
  • Options
    Uruguay/England likely paths:

Colombia -> Brazil -> Germany -> Argentina (2nd in group)

Ivory Coast (Or Greece) -> Spain -> Argentina -> Brazil (Win group)

Chile Paths:

Brazil -> Colombia, Italy or England -> Germany -> Argentina (2nd in group)

Mexico -> Uruguay -> Argentina -> Brazil. (Win group)

Argentina/Germany/Portugal/Belgium have had great draws, particularly Argentina.
  • Options
    We're being very England-centric.

We really should talk about whom Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have drawn in the World Cup...oh

::Innocent Face::
  • Options
    R0berts said:

English football.

And the England cricket team are likeable, almost Mandela-like in their humility.

The England football team are, by and large, complete t*ssers.
    Don't say that to Rogerdarmus.

He views Stuart Broad as a vile cheat, and speculated that he must be a Tory.
  • Options
    Having backed both England and Uruguay do I want Suarez to continue his shit hot form ?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Stuart Dickson has a tricky decision ahead. Will it be good news for the Yes camp if England get knocked out early because all Scots will unite in derision for the underperforming English or will it be good news for the Yes camp if England get through because the English patriotism at this footballing success will unite all Scots in antipathy?

You haven't been studying your Scottish anthropology enough if you don't know the answer to that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Having backed both England and Uruguay do I want Suarez to continue his shit hot form ?

Back Suarez to be leading goalscorer at the Coupe du Monde.

It may well be that John Ruddy is our keeper at the world cup.

Luis Suarez vs England defenders and a Norwich goalkeeper, it's going to be carnage. He could easily score 5 or 6 just against England.

25/1 With Ladbrokes

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/top-goalscorer
  • Options

There's a hostage to fortune if ever there was one. Better hope the footballing gods missed that.

• Options
    edited December 2013

There's a hostage to fortune if ever there was one. Better hope the footballing gods missed that.

My tongue was somewhere in the vicinity of my cheek when I wrote that post.

I'm not expecting England to do well at all.

And we're playing Costa Rica at Belo Horizonte, the last time we played a World Cup match there, we lost one nil to the USA.

Remember, history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as an England World Cup campaign
  • Options
    That said

Last time England were in a World Cup group with Uruguay......1966.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    One of my earliest world cup memories involved Uruguay, vs Scotland in the 1986 world cup.

IIRC, Uruguay hacked Scotland off the park, had a player sent off in the first minute, which meant Uruguay qualified and Scotland didn't.

After the match they interviewed some of the the Tartan Army, who were very angry at the Uruguayan tactics and said

"If Uruguay played England, I'll be cheering for England"
  • Options
    Some nice thoughts from Henry.

In comparison I don't know if I live within an especially cynical and callous section of society but the universal response I've heard today has been "I'm sick of hearing about nothing else than bloody Nelson Mandela" with several "they've only flicked the switch now to give publicity to that film about him".

Now if I do live within an especially cynical and callous section of society its all the most surprising that I'm such a moderate and generous hearted individual ;-).
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I preferred watching the England cricket team in the 90s and early 2000s because there were more characters in the squad at that time. These days a lot of the players seem a bit robotic IMO.
  • Options
    Another good thing about this World Cup Draw for England.

We won't be going out on penalties this time.
  • Options
    tim said:

Terry Dicks

"Living proof that a pigs bladder on a stick can be elected to Parliament"

Tony Banks may not have made that comment if he'd been aware that Terry Dicks suffered from cerebral palsy.
  • Options

"If Uruguay played England, I'll be cheering for England"

Christ, they must have been raging...

• Options
    edited December 2013
    O/T:

"Derren Brown trains four pensioners to steal for latest TV show

Illusionist's new show for Channel 4, The Great Art Robbery, aims to show older people in a new light":

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/nov/30/derren-brown-show-great-art-robbery-older-people

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/videos/all/derren-brown-the-great-art-robbery-clip-1
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    There's Mandela, an upright straight forward man and there's Cammo.

What does one say about a PM who acts so small and licks the boots of his hosts in the hope of ingratiating himself and Britain. Ugh!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cb01954e-5d12-11e3-a558-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2miQq8phR
  • Options
    One thing that I'm sure most of us can agree on is that it would have been much more likely for the South Africa of 1980 to have a more disasterous future than it in fact has.

In fact its likely that any significant change in the political and economic influences upon South Africa in the 1980s could have led to catastrophe, millions of deaths and millions of refugees - the events of Rwanda but on a far larger playing field.

So I wonder if any of the PB lefties will show some of the generosity of spirit Nelson Mandela is famed for and admit that Thatcher's policy towards South Africa ** was the correct one ?

** Which was of course the same policy the previous Labour government had persued.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,230
    AndyJS said:

antifrank said:

There's something very appropriate about Margaret Thatcher and Nelson Mandela dying in the same year. It's as if the 20th century has finally ended.

Sad news indeed. I keep hoping time will be reversed so I can attend music concerts by some of my favourite 80s pop bands, like Japan's Sons Of Pioneers tour in 1982.
    I believe A Secret Affair are playing in Islington on Saturday.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Pity the poor children across the land in assemblies this morning sitting through a hastily cobbled (by a non tech savvy deputy head) ppt on Mandela.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Back Suarez to be leading goalscorer at the Coupe du Monde.

It may well be that John Ruddy is our keeper at the world cup.

Luis Suarez vs England defenders and a Norwich goalkeeper, it's going to be carnage. He could easily score 5 or 6 just against England.

25/1 With Ladbrokes

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/top-goalscorer
    Have gone £5 E/W on Suarez at 25-1
    £5 E/W on Falcao at 33-1
    £10 Win & £5 E/W on Messi at 9-1
This discussion has been closed.