Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour cannot go into GE2015 with Balls still shadow chance

124»

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    edited December 2013
    @Alanbrooke

"Rogerissimo, please don't bore us with trivia from the land of politics, regale us with what's new in Adland or how your 70s DJ pals are getting on with the Met."

You're just trying to get me banned. However noting your penchant for high flyers I note that my recent neighbour on Old Compton Street Robert Chote thinks George O has been gilding the lily. Thank goodness all those hours discussing fiscal drags haven't been completely wasted.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The answer to the Cost of Living crisis is to spend, spend, spend. All hail the Zombie Chancellor, lurching down the street looking for his lost magic money tree, through his glazed eyes and partly functioning brain.

Put him out of his misery for all our sakes.

R0berts said:

R0berts said:

Getting rid of Balls would do more harm than good, so Ed won't

And Mike is wrong, the personality of the shadow chancellor won't change votes. The arguments will. On that score, the Tories are still struggling to catch up with Labour.

chortle

arguments ? Which arguments ? Labour have none. Their policy bag is emptier than Prescott.s head.
    The Cost of Living Crisis.

Like it or not, that's the playing field.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    SMukesh said:

R0berts said:

Getting rid of Balls would do more harm than good, so Ed won't

And Mike is wrong, the personality of the shadow chancellor won't change votes. The arguments will. On that score, the Tories are still struggling to catch up with Labour.

chortle

arguments ? Which arguments ? Labour have none. Their policy bag is emptier than Prescott.s head.
    Is that why the Tories stole all their policies ahead of the autumn statement?
    You can't steal what doesn't exist. HMG will simply pick up the gimmicks and put them to bed and move on. Labour have no economic arguments.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

I am a Lib Dem voter, so it is possible that my party will be supporting a minority Labour govt in 18 months. It would not be credible to do this with Balls as Chancellor, as it would be the antithesis of everything that they have done in this govt.

Balls is a Dead Man Walking, though I do think it possible that he may be a Zombie Chancellor, lurching after hard working families to feed upon.

SMukesh said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Ed Balls is performing well and is an asset to the party?

Nothing would demonstrate a clean break with the Brown economic policy better than showing Balls the door.

The key is timing. It needs to be far enough in advance of the next election that the new guy/gal can master their brief, but close enough to it that Balls has to keep quiet because of the proximity to the election.

I suspect that ALP is right, and that we will have an interesting spring budget that will flatfoot the less than nimble Ed Balls, and he will be dumped in a Summer reshuffle.

SMukesh said:

It`s funny how the Tory media used to go on about Ed Miliband and now that he`s destroyed their plans with a single policy,they now think Ed Balls is the weak link.

The two big weak links are in their own party and Labour will go after them nearer the election!

Balls knows far more about economics than the towel folder and he`ll be a real asset to the party when it matters and he has his fingers around the purse-strings.

He suffers from a stammer and may have been temporarily put off by deliberate Tory/Lib Dem heckling but he`s a smart political operator and his influence will be seen in the party manifesto.

Why do you think the Tories are going after him?

The two Eds are the team that take Labour into 2015.
    Your party will be a skeleton come 2015.In what position would they be to offer support to others?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I am a Lib Dem voter, so it is possible that my party will be supporting a minority Labour govt in 18 months. It would not be credible to do this with Balls as Chancellor, as it would be the antithesis of everything that they have done in this govt.

Balls is a Dead Man Walking, though I do think it possible that he may be a Zombie Chancellor, lurching after hard working families to feed upon.

SMukesh said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Ed Balls is performing well and is an asset to the party?

Nothing would demonstrate a clean break with the Brown economic policy better than showing Balls the door.

The key is timing. It needs to be far enough in advance of the next election that the new guy/gal can master their brief, but close enough to it that Balls has to keep quiet because of the proximity to the election.

I suspect that ALP is right, and that we will have an interesting spring budget that will flatfoot the less than nimble Ed Balls, and he will be dumped in a Summer reshuffle.

SMukesh said:

It`s funny how the Tory media used to go on about Ed Miliband and now that he`s destroyed their plans with a single policy,they now think Ed Balls is the weak link.

The two big weak links are in their own party and Labour will go after them nearer the election!

Balls knows far more about economics than the towel folder and he`ll be a real asset to the party when it matters and he has his fingers around the purse-strings.

He suffers from a stammer and may have been temporarily put off by deliberate Tory/Lib Dem heckling but he`s a smart political operator and his influence will be seen in the party manifesto.

Why exactly do you think the Lib Dems will be in a position to dictate who the government members are?

I highly doubt Labour would want to do a deal with you in a hung parliament anyway. They'd rather go as a minority govt.
  • Options
    For all the Ed is crap Balls is crap from the Tory media whores and the PB Hodges.....has anyone noticed the widening of the Labour lead?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options

I noticed a few weeks ago when spittle was appearing on Red Ed lips that the media and the PB Hodges went into a frenzy over "Red Ed foaming at the mouth". Gideon does the same at the Autumn statement......anyone hear that pin drop?

Too busy listening to the good news.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Your party will be a skeleton come 2015.In what position would they be to offer support to others?
    It's an HP and the LDs will be kingmakers. Just keep insulting Clegg.
  • Options

I noticed a few weeks ago when spittle was appearing on Red Ed lips that the media and the PB Hodges went into a frenzy over "Red Ed foaming at the mouth". Gideon does the same at the Autumn statement......anyone hear that pin drop?

Too busy listening to the good news.
    I prefer reading it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

It may be the Tories` best hope,not necessarily the result.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    If it is a parliament with NOC, even a diminished LD party will be the third biggest, and unlikely kingmakers.

Either that or there would be minority government and a new election after a year or so, probably with some or all parties under new leadership.

I quite like Ed Miliband, who is a shrewd enough operator to know that being handcuffed to a Zombie is a major handicap, as well as a risk to himself.
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Danny565 said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Why exactly do you think the Lib Dems will be in a position to dictate who the government members are?

I highly doubt Labour would want to do a deal with you in a hung parliament anyway. They'd rather go as a minority govt.
    Labour would need the LDs for a supply and confidence arrangement for a minority administration.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

hey it's an election and still 18 months to go, so anything could happen, we could have UKIP govt ! But HP still looks most likely.
  • Options
    Next said:

Danny565 said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Labour would need the LDs for a supply and confidence arrangement for a minority administration.
    Labour wont need whatever is left of the Lib Dems. It will have a large enough majority to govern on it's own.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Certainly hope so!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Next said:

Danny565 said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Labour wont need whatever is left of the Lib Dems. It will have a large enough majority to govern on it's own.

God help us all.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    There be a new thread over yonder >>>>
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited December 2013
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

The Coalition has been a fantastic success and sooner or later this fact is going to sink in with general public. The LDs and the Tories are going to perform much better in 2015 than current polls suggest , Labour and the SNP will be playing on very sticky wickets come the GE and risk spectacular collapses.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    SMukesh said:

No sometimes it's not political. In Balls's case I think it is simply that they hate him, like all right thinking people, and enjoy being abusive towards him.

He deserves worse.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Next said:

Danny565 said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

No they wouldn't. Most of the small parties would prefer a Labour government to a Conservative government (even the DUP, although rightwing socially, leans towards Labour on economic and spending matters thesedays) so Labour would be able to tell the Lib Dems to get stuffed.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Militwunt's 'One-Nation' party a 'minority' gubbermint: Sounds about right. Anything for power; forget the masses....

:chuckles-u-monies:

This discussion has been closed.