Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour cannot go into GE2015 with Balls still shadow chance

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour cannot go into GE2015 with Balls still shadow chancellor

For me the striking feature of today’s autumn statement was how poorly Ed Balls performed. Yes he had to face a massive barrage of noise from the other side but his really poor communication skills were shown up. He’s just far too agressive and talks to fast.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited December 2013
    Stella Creasy is the answer
  • Options
    And some of us have been saying this for nearly three years.
  • Options
    I'll be the first one to say it, Ed is Crap
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited December 2013
    Some wise fellow wrote on this very topic in the summer of 2012

I backed Rachel Reeves and Chuka then

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2012/08/28/is-one-ed-better-than-two/
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I was always under the impression that Balls was to Milliband what Osborne is to Cameron and Brown was to Blair: too powerful/loyal to dump. Cameron holds on to Osborne in part because he stops leadership challenges as a loyal Number 2, doesn't Milliband have Balls for the same reason?
  • Options
    I can't see him going without a fight.

He's probably worth a couple of percent to the Tories, but it probably won't matter that much to whether Labour get back in. The problem will be once they get in and everyone remembers how useless he is.
  • Options
    It's not so much that he's crap but that he's wrong and been wrong all along.

The country is maxed out on debt and we need to bring sanity back to the public finances. ANY Labour Chancellor (and it probably will be just that after 2015) is going to have to apply Sound Money principles whether they like it or not. A move back to 'borrow n spend' would lead to an interest rate / mortgage disaster in very short order. How that will be compatible with the Labour mindset on public spending is going to be interesting!
  • Options
    Patrick said:

It's not so much that he's crap but that he's wrong and been wrong all along.

The country is maxed out on debt and we need to bring sanity back to the public finances. ANY Labour Chancellor (and it probably will be just that after 2015) is going to have to apply Sound Money principles whether they like it or not. A move back to 'borrow n spend' would lead to an interest rate / mortgage disaster in very short order. How that will be compatible with the Labour mindset on public spending is going to be interesting!

They will keep spending until the markets put a stop to it. Then when things go to pot it will be because "they didn't spend enough". They'll be telling themselves to spend even more next time. Seriously.

You can see this in action on here from the fact that they'll all claiming the economy and public finances were in good shape in 2010. Mental.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2013
    More certain than ever that use of the terms "PB Tories" and "PB Kinnocks" is a sure sign of idiocy.

Agree with Mike that Chris Leslie came across very well on the BBC earlier. He made the point, that I think tim also made, that wages are forecast to come down by Osborne in the next year or two, very clearly.

Steven Woolfe of UKIP was the most business like person on the whole show though. Very knowledgeable on his brief, and spoke clearly and concisely.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Labour supporters are desperately clinging on to Ed Balls, can they not see the man is incapable of doing his job, he has made two responses that were just unacceptable, in a business he would be asked to leave.
  • Options
    Ed Balls is a poor orator . Does not help of course but if he was a good chancellor it would not matter. The fact he will not be is what should be the reason behind any sacking
  • Options
    Ha, before this thread appeared I was checking the markets with exactly the same thought, hoping to get on Chris Leslie at long odds, but there is no price quoted.

Even so, I think Ed is stuck with Ed. Labour's deficit denial is, as predicted, coming back to haunt them. They are trying to repair the damage - I notice that they did finally get to understand that Osborne's creation of the OBR could in principle help them gain credibility, albeit at the cost of accepting reality - but the misguided attacks on Osborne for the first two years of the parliament can't simply be brushed aside: a large chunk of Labour's supporters are Labour supporters precisely because they believed all that garbage, or at least wanted to believe it. Ditching Balls would be the final admission that Osborne was right all along - and therefore that Labour were completely wrong. That's not a good platform for an election campaign where the public finances will still be centre-stage.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited December 2013
    MS: "coped well ... when clearly he didn’t have an answer to a key question."

Well Labour are certainly going to need someone like that going into GE 2015.
  • Options
    You may be right about EdB, but bearing in mind your perpetual spelling mistakes and grammar howlers ("agressive" and "talks to fast" , you can hardly criticise his communication skills.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    If Miliband wants to sack Balls it will have to be done on health grounds - ie Balls will leave the Shadow Cabinet.

If he is demoted it will be too damaging politically - details don't matter - the public will just get the message that "Labour is conceding it was wrong".

It's exactly the same situation as when people were saying Cameron should sack Osborne.

It doesn't matter that the replacement would do better / come across better - only a tiny % of people are voting on their judgement of how the Shadow Chancellor comes across.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    matyusha said:

You may be right about EdB, but bearing in mind your perpetual spelling mistakes and grammar howlers ("agressive" and "talks to fast" , you can hardly criticise his communication skills.

Welcome to PB, Matyusha.

Mike is not trying to become the next CoE though.

To be honest I'm quite relieved Darling is tied up north of the border for so long. I'm sure Shadsy will give us a price on Chris Leslie but could well not be value as he knows pb.com as a whole generally knows its stuff.

• Options
    Wonder who'll be sacked first: Balls or Moyes?
  • Options
    matyusha said:

You joined PB just to criticise Mike's typing skills?

Welcome to PB... you'll fit right in.
  • Options
    I'd be delighted if Balls was sacked, but I fear that Miliband would take too much political damage by losing his second shadow Chancellor of the Parliament, particularly if he then brought in a complete unknown such as Chris Leslie to replace him.

That said, if Darling helps to win the Scottish referendum for the Unionist's then it provides a way for him to come back as shadow Chancellor without it appearing as though Miliband is desperately casting about for someone to do the job - it can be said that Balls was just keeping the seat warm for him while he saved the Union.

Problem is that the electoral politics is arguably even worse with Darling as shadow Chancellor, because although it largely wasn't his fault, it was he who presided over the uber-crash.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tim said:

@RichardNabavi

If Osborne was right all along how come we ended up with a recovery based on falling real pay, stoked up house price inflation and increased domestic consumption rather than any rebalancing?

It's simply a policy for pensioners sitting on rising housing values, everyone else gets screwed

If Balls was right how come France is not booming with big pay rises for all and a falling deficit ?
  • Options
    If I can out-smart Chris Leslie - and I have done when he was Shipley MP and I was chairman of Bradford Council's Shipley Area Committee - I'm quite sure that other, more capable politicians could.

Leslie was responsible for the postal voting shambles in the 2004 Euro-elections and has a much better record at playing Labour's internal politics than he does in delivery of anything meaningful. Of course, being adept at playing the internal politics is very helpful in being appointed to what's essentially a patronage position but he has little following in the PLP or wider party and others who have more backing in pushing their claim will surely be further forward in the queue.

In any case, with Balls, as with Brown before him, the pain of moving him probably outweighs the benefits that would accrue from such a move. Does anyone think he'd go quietly?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    We all knew that balls was crap long ago, so whats new?
    --------------------
    CARDIFF - Riverside (Labour resigned)
    CARDIFF - Splott (Labour resigned)

UKIP will be contesting these two strong Labour Cardiff seats in the by-elections due tonight.
    It will be the first time that UKIP is contesting these seats, it will be interesting to see if they make any impact in one of Labours Welsh heartlands.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    It's simply a policy for pensioners sitting on rising housing values, everyone else gets screwed

Like Ed Balls, your hyperbole is letting you down.

Yes there are problems with the housing market, and yes the recovery isn't reaching the people it should. But the latest PMI surveys show that manufacturing, services and construction are all accelerating rapidly. There's obviously some real juice in this recovery.

• Options
    It would be hard for Ed Miliband to sack Ed Balls. To lose one shadow Chancellor is unfortunate, but to lose two would look like carelessness.

Should he nevertheless do it? It would feed a narrative that Labour had got the economy completely wrong, which would be more damaging than having an unattractive character as shadow Chancellor.

So Labour are stuck with Ed Balls now.
  • Options

In any case, with Balls, as with Brown before him, the pain of moving him probably outweighs the benefits that would accrue from such a move. Does anyone think he'd go quietly?

179 votes in the shadow cabinet elections suggest that he would do anything other than go quietly. That's more than two-thirds of the Parliamentary Labour Party.
  • Options
    @davidherdson

Ed Balls might go quietly if his replacement was his wife.
  • Options

Wonder who'll be sacked first: Balls or Moyes?

Moyes.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2013

@davidherdson

But that begs several questions.

Would she be any good?
    How would the nepotism be played out. Worse than or as bad as a chumocracy?
    Would she be popular in the role (maybe a more important question than would she be any good)?
  • Options

@davidherdson

I can imagine that annoying him even more. And if doesn't exactly look good either, Balls is rubbish so let's replace him with er...his wife.

I think he's staying.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Phew Last nag of the day didn't fall at the last and actually won like it was supposed to. Hopefully Ed Balls will just get some reminders and won't fall ;)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Don't expect UKIP to do well in Splott or Riverside by-elections in Cardiff. Can't think of two likely worse areas for them in the city. Working class, high ethnic minority plus a bit of middle class yuppies.
  • Options
    Max_EdinburghMax_Edinburgh Posts: 347
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

Who cheered the Omnishambles, who cheered the Barber boom, who cheered the Lawson boom?

The same sort of people who are cheering this

@PickardJE: Obr now reckons galloping house prices will take housing market to a whisker below 2007 bubble (3pc less in real terms). That is the story.

Sadly we no longer get to cheer booms. Not since your party so successfully abolished both boom and bust. Oh wait . . . .
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    @CopperSulphate (and others) have explained this well.

The key Labour error was not to understand (because they believed that retaining sterling insulated against the possibility) that UK borrowing rates would have risen dramatically had there not been a clear "austerity" commitment.

But that aside, policy following GE2010 was the mother of all "I wouldn't have started from here" scenarios.

This of course doesn't absolve the Cons for picking the housing market as a "growth" driver but they couldn't have done all that good infrastructure stuff in June 2010 because the markets would have said "not so fast" and then promptly added 300bps to our 10-year borrowing rates.
  • Options

@davidherdson

He might do, but only if he thought he'd be a backseat driver - and if he thought it, others would too. It'd keep most of the disadvantages of sacking Balls while bringing few of the benefits.
  • Options
    Does Len McLuskey rate Balls ? It's not really up to Miliband is it ?
  • Options
    bit of middle class yuppies.

Middle class yuppies in Splott?? Blimey, times have changed...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thinking about the fragrant Yvette and rumbustious Ed, and the lack of mojo they show these days, it is very evident that there are remarkably few ministers from the Brown Blair era that have any meaningful or positive (for Labour) political input now.

Straw, Brown, Balls, Cooper, Darling, Purnell, Blair, Reid, Clarke, Blunkett, Prescott, Millband snr and Postie, all seem neutered.

Harman, Burnham are slaloming along in a undirected alternative universe with odd pronouncements.

Then there is EdM, bravely holding it all together promoting the vision of a fair Labour England to all who will be beguiled by his smooth rhetoric.

Where have the class of 2005 to 2010 gone?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The key Labour error was not to understand (because they believed that retaining sterling insulated against the possibility) that UK borrowing rates would have risen dramatically had there not been a clear "austerity" commitment.

Sorry what is the evidence for that? It depends what you mean by austerity. Since we were borrowing at historically low rates under the previous government and we've continued to under a government that has missed its own borrowing targets by miles, I'd suggest the claims about us facing a Greece style debt crisis were always baloney.

• Options
    taffys said:

bit of middle class yuppies.

Middle class yuppies in Splott?? Blimey, times have changed...

No in Riverside which includes Pontcanna. Full of people who work for the beeb in Llandaff.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Don't expect UKIP to do well in Splott or Riverside by-elections in Cardiff. Can't think of two likely worse areas for them in the city. Working class, high ethnic minority plus a bit of middle class yuppies.

I could be going down the wrong track, but I thought generally a working class area with high ethnic minority would contribute to a good UKIP showing?

& the middle class yuppies as well come to that!
  • Options
    If Ed Miliband were to replace Ed Balls, he could only do so without embarrassment by replacing him with Alistair Darling. If that were a positive reward for his demolition of the Scottish nationalists, that would massively help with the news management.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sorry what is the evidence for that? It depends what you mean by austerity. Since we were borrowing at historically low rates under the previous government and we've continued to under a government that has missed its own borrowing targets by miles, I'd suggest the claims about us facing a Greece style debt crisis were always baloney.

See the reports issued by the credit ratings agencies at the time.

Also, borrowing as a % of GDP is prety much back on the 2011 track: https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/407815271907606528/photo/1

and borrowing was only low in 2009-10 because the markets expected a government with some responsibility to come to the helm.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    On the measure that really matters most to Osborne – the politics – today was game, set and match in his match with Ed Balls.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100249249/autumn-statement-game-set-and-match-for-osborne/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Greece were borrowing at historically low rates too until their creditors realised they weren't serious about paying it back.

The point about Greece is that the government has always spent the absolute maximum they could get their hands on. The only reductions they have made is due to having absolutely no choice about having to cut. They are the perfect example of what happens if you don't cut before the markets turn against you.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Just scanned my original post to see where I put that we would have faced a "Greece style debt crisis". Oh yes, I see I didn't write that.

My point is that by several measures including size of deficit and debt/GDP ratios we were way towards the bottom of our european peers and the markets weren't in the mood to tolerate profligate fiscal programmes.

The "evidence" is that we could run those type of ratios and not be overly penalised. Even today of course our debt/GDP ratio is relatively pretty ugly and although our borrowing rates have ticked up, this is more as an expectation of stronger economic growth rather than any kind of premium demanded for lending to us.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Amazing trap by Osborne today that may actually need someone other than Balls to address as well. The new proposition on a mechanism to force future governments to prioritise debt reduction over spending is a huge trap for Labour, accept it and lose support from core voters and Lib Dem 2010 voters, reject it and be painted as fiscally irresponsible and willing to throw away years of hard work to fatten up the public sector again.
  • Options
    Floater said:

What stopped Gordon Brown from going ahead with an autumn general election in 2007 were the astonishing polling figures for the Scottish National Party. Wee Dougie Alexander successfully persuaded his boss that an autumn UK GE would be signing the death certificate of his belovèd SLAB.

Nothing to do with a Tory conference speech.

Just wow.

Please tell me you are trolling and you don't actually believe that guff?
    Of course I believe it, because it is true.
  • Options
    Now, gloating Tory Chancellors don’t play well with voters, so this was all dressed up as a lengthy discussion of the long term challenges that remain to be addressed in Britain’s economy. It wasn’t though. It was the Parliamentary equivalent of skipping from foot to foot, pointing at Ed Balls and singing “I was right and you were wrong, so I can sing the I was right song‘.
    http://hopisen.com/?p=6023
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2013
    TGOHF said:

Does Len McLuskey rate Balls ? It's not really up to Miliband is it ?

I wonder if Balls gains influence, and survival, through his relationship with the Co Op? Though that income stream could be drying up sooner rather than later.
  • Options

Floater said:

What stopped Gordon Brown from going ahead with an autumn general election in 2007 were the astonishing polling figures for the Scottish National Party. Wee Dougie Alexander successfully persuaded his boss that an autumn UK GE would be signing the death certificate of his belovèd SLAB.

Just wow.

Stuart has quaffed deeply from the SNP Kool Aid.

St Eck is infallible and all his utterances are literal gospel truth...

@TomHarrisMP: An independent Scotland will change the names of "Starburst" and "Snickers" bars back to "Opal Fruits" and "Marathon". White Paper p377.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013
    Tim's gender gap:

TNS BMRB published today 5 Dec
    Sample size 1,004 adults aged 16+ in Scotland
    Fieldwork dates 20th – 27th November 2013
    Interview method Face-to-face, in-home

Females: Yes 22% No 45% DK 33%
    Males: Yes 30% No 39% DK 31%

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/assets-uploaded/documents/som-data-tables-27-nov-2013_1386178151.pdf

• Options
    edited December 2013
    At what point will Cameron give the order that everyone is to say the deficit has been cut in half?

He used to say a quarter, then he suddenly switched to a third - I reckon he'll be saying a half some time in 2014.
  • Options
    isam said:

I could be going down the wrong track, but I thought generally a working class area with high ethnic minority would contribute to a good UKIP showing?

TOPPING said:

Also, borrowing as a % of GDP is prety much back on the 2011 track: https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/407815271907606528/photo/1

and borrowing was only low in 2009-10 because the markets expected a government with some responsibility to come to the helm.
    Still taking the credit ratings agencies seriously then? From what I can understand the Tory position is that although there was no upward spike in government borrowing costs at the time, the markets were suddenly about to turn and there would have been had there not been a radical austerity programme in place. That's a pretty remarkable piece of second guessing of the markets.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If Ed Miliband were to replace Ed Balls, he could only do so without embarrassment by replacing him with Alistair Darling. If that were a positive reward for his demolition of the Scottish nationalists, that would massively help with the news management.

We won't know what Darling has "demolished" until September. It might be the Union.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: SNP won't be happy: OBR forecasts even smaller oil and gas revenues due to production/sterling, £5bn less in next half decade
  • Options
    Mr. P, Opal Fruits is/was a much better name.

Mr. Dickson, is it now SNP policy, in the event of a No vote, to hold another referendum within 15 years [assuming that fits with electoral reality at the time]?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Amazing trap by Osborne today that may actually need someone other than Balls to address as well. The new proposition on a mechanism to force future governments to prioritise debt reduction over spending is a huge trap for Labour, accept it and lose support from core voters and Lib Dem 2010 voters, reject it and be painted as fiscally irresponsible and willing to throw away years of hard work to fatten up the public sector again.

Or quietly get rid of it and no one is any the wiser.

Things like this are only important if the media make a fuss about it. They might do but they probably won't.
  • Options
    On the measure that really matters most to Osborne – the politics – today was game, set and match in his match with Ed Balls.

The most sobering stat in that article is the number that UK public debt in 2007 was 500bn.

Whoever you believe is at fault, the fact remains that the decade 2007/2017 will have cost the British people a trillion pounds.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013
    Scott_P said:

Floater said:

Just wow.

@TomHarrisMP: An independent Scotland will change the names of "Starburst" and "Snickers" bars back to "Opal Fruits" and "Marathon". White Paper p377.
    Remind us of your prediction for Edinburgh South West just before the last GE Scott. The Tory Kool Aid must have been good that night.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Thats why it will be interesting to see how they poll in these Labour heartlands. If they get more that 10% in Cardiff things are looking up for the 3rd party.
  • Options

Mr. P, Opal Fruits is/was a much better name.

Mr. Dickson, is it now SNP policy, in the event of a No vote, to hold another referendum within 15 years [assuming that fits with electoral reality at the time]?

The only people who can determine if there would be another referendum, and when, are the Scottish electorate. They are sovereign.
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, indeed, the Scottish people will determine the electoral circumstance in 15 years' time. But is it SNP policy to hold a second referendum, in the event of a No vote this time, in the near future (ie 15 years or so)?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

At what point will Cameron give the order that everyone is to say the deficit has been cut in half?

He used to say a quarter, then he suddenly switched to a third - I reckon he'll be saying a half some time in 2014.

Pretty much in line with Darling's plan in 2010 I think?
  • Options

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Still taking the credit ratings agencies seriously then? From what I can understand the Tory position is that although there was no upward spike in government borrowing costs at the time, the markets were suddenly about to turn and there would have been had there not been a radical austerity programme in place. That's a pretty remarkable piece of second guessing of the markets.
    The markets work on the basis of future expectations. In 2009 and early 2010, the expectation was that Labour would lose office, which they duly did. Unsurprisingly, the markets reacted by taking this expected event in their stride. Had something unexpected happened, that's when the markets would have reacted.

There were comments by the agencies put out before the election that if Labour’s spending plans continued unchanged, a ratings cut was inevitable. Now, you can say that there was a ratings cut anyway and you’d be right. Borrowing costs have also risen – a not unrelated event. And that’s despite spending restraint and a recovery now underway. Had Brown continued in office with Balls as chancellor – as everyone, including Darling, expected to happen if Labour won – the rating cuts would have happened sooner and faster, and borrowing costs risen further and sooner.
  • Options

MikeL said:

And what actions had Darling proposed to meet his target / plan?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited December 2013
    Good summary of the state of play from Simon Carr

"Osborne’s peroration is worth quoting in full – it just kept coming, a relentlessly personal attack.

"“They can’t talk about their record because they had the biggest recession ever.

They can’t talk about the deficit because they’ve got no plan to deal with it.

He can’t talk about infrastructure and his much vaunted plan for a cross-party consensus because he was the person who tried to break the consensus on the biggest project of all.

He can’t talk about housing because there were 420,000 fewer affordable homes at the end of the Labour government.

He can’t talk about business rates because they went up 71 per cent under Labour.

He can’t talk about support for business because he wants to put taxes up on business.

He can’t ask about standing up to the powerful because this is the week they caved in to the trade unions.

He can’t ask about jobs because he wants more jobs taxes.

And he can’t ask about banking and financial services because the person they hired to advise them was the Reverend Flowers.”

And Balls’ only response was to point and go “Ooooo!” as if to suggest Osborne and Cameron had taken cocaine themselves.

It was far from a complete response to a massive reputational attack.

Can Labour go into an election with a liability like this? Osborne must be hoping they can."

http://order-order.com/2013/12/05/sketch-the-end-of-an-error-new-balls-please/#more-155944
  • Options

MikeL said:

The only people in the country which think that Darling's plan was anything other than fairy dust and moonbeams seem to be you and tim...
  • Options

isam said:

TOPPING said:

The markets work on the basis of future expectations. In 2009 and early 2010, the expectation was that Labour would lose office, which they duly did. Unsurprisingly, the markets reacted by taking this expected event in their stride. Had something unexpected happened, that's when the markets would have reacted.

There were comments by the agencies put out before the election that if Labour’s spending plans continued unchanged, a ratings cut was inevitable. Now, you can say that there was a ratings cut anyway and you’d be right. Borrowing costs have also risen – a not unrelated event. And that’s despite spending restraint and a recovery now underway. Had Brown continued in office with Balls as chancellor – as everyone, including Darling, expected to happen if Labour won – the rating cuts would have happened sooner and faster, and borrowing costs risen further and sooner.
    The interesting thing is that many Lab supporters genuinely believe that nothing was broke so nothing needed fixing.

Which I can forgive as they have been fed it by their beloved Eds.

What I cannot forgive is EdB, a former Harvard economics fellow, spinning such transparent bollocks.
  • Options
    The only people in the country which think that Darling's plan was anything other than fairy dust and moonbeams seem to be you and tim...

Absolutely. The darling plan had about as much credibility as a rehab program designed by an addict.
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited December 2013
    TOPPING said:

The interesting thing is that many Lab supporters genuinely believe that nothing was broke so nothing needed fixing.

What I cannot forgive is EdB, a former Harvard economics fellow, spinning such transparent bollocks.

I think they know deep down that the direction the economy was going under Labour was unsustainable, but they loathe the Tories so much that their heart overrules their brain and they convince themselves that everything was fine and dandy.

If Labour had just got back in and continued to do exactly what caused the problem in the first place a bit longer then everything would have been alright. Makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

I certainly wouldn't suggest nothing was broken. However the idea we were going to fix things by embarking on the most radical deficit programme in our history (at a time of record low government borrowing costs) whilst there was a massive overhang of private debt and a bust financial system was incredibly stupid. Check out former MPC member Adam Posen's interview on Hardtalk available on youtube in which he makes clear that the Keynesian analysis of depressions has basically been proved right.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Things like this are only important if the media make a fuss about it. They might do but they probably won't.
    It's a bit like the EU referendum bill, now that it's on the statute book they can't get rid of it easily so will have to abide by it. Obviously the next Labour government could get rid of both as Parliament can't tie the hands of future governments but in trying to remove them it will inevitably raise questions that Labour will fail to answer.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    If Osborne is as useless as some would like us to believe, Labour should be beating the Tories to a pulp, week in and week out on the subject of the Economy. Surely a good Shadow Chancellor would be up to the task?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: SNP won't be happy: OBR forecasts even smaller oil and gas revenues due to production/sterling, £5bn less in next half decade

Having skipped through some of the SNP's document, I note that they want to retain their "share" of the BoE based on London. But keep all of the oil & gas fields that are currently owned by the whole country and just happen to be located near Scotland.

Hmmm.
  • Options
    James Forsyth of the Speccie obviously reads PB

http://t.co/SF8NfIQINw
  • Options

Mr. Dickson, indeed, the Scottish people will determine the electoral circumstance in 15 years' time. But is it SNP policy to hold a second referendum, in the event of a No vote this time, in the near future (ie 15 years or so)?

Worth noting that there was only an 18 year gap between the Scottish devolution referendums of 1979 and 1997.

Of course, if the Scots vote for independence one can be sure that there won't be a referendum for renewing the Union in any length of time, let alone 15 years.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Scott_P said:

Floater said:

Just wow.

That about sums up Harris, makes Balls look like a genius. Useless twat.
  • Options

Worth noting that there was only an 18 year gap between the Scottish devolution referendums of 1979 and 1997.
    True, although Yes did 'win' the 1979 referendum, so there was a legitimate sense of grievance to that one being rerun.
  • Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

I think they know deep down that the direction the economy was going under Labour was unsustainable, but they loathe the Tories so much that their heart overrules their brain and they convince themselves that everything was fine and dandy.

If Labour had just got back in and continued to do exactly what caused the problem in the first place a bit longer then everything would have been alright. Makes perfect sense.
    Remind me where the Tories said three years ago that they would base a recovery on stoking up house prices to crash levels with state subsidies and domestic consumption financed by lower savings ratios.
    since he gave up on his fantasy rebalancing Osborne is relying solely on the themes the PB Tories used to slag Brown off for.
    The Tories are balancing keeping asset prices high to stop the banks going bust whilst trying to stop the government spending too much. I don't think they're doing a great job but that's not what my point was about.

I was pointing out that Labour supporters have convinced themselves things were going well in 2010 despite all the evidence to the contrary. They think that even more government spending was the answer to the debt disaster caused by the biggest government spending splurge of all time.

Idiots.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Well given they were 25% low in their forecast on last couple of years , we have little to worry about on that front. That will guarantee more venue.
    Sad that little Tories like you live just to denegrate the country they live in, full of glee hoping for disaster to strike.
    Pity you are so thick that if revenue did decline it would decline for the UK as well twat and so is it better we get 100% of a declining revenue or as we do now get 0% of a declining revenue. Pray tell us about this union benefit.
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited December 2013
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It's a bit like the EU referendum bill, now that it's on the statute book they can't get rid of it easily so will have to abide by it. Obviously the next Labour government could get rid of both as Parliament can't tie the hands of future governments but in trying to remove them it will inevitably raise questions that Labour will fail to answer.
    When Gordon Brown signed the Lisbon Treaty despite years of promising a referendum on it first, it was the Tories that ended up copping most of the flak from the media.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the same thing happened again when Labour drop the referendum bill (which of course they will even though they will once again be committed to holding one in their manifesto).
  • Options
    I don't know if this article was posted yesterday, but worth reading...

The low paid taxed at 84 - 95%...

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/12/brits-are-not-lazy-ms-campeanu-theyre-just-taxed-to-death/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

I certainly wouldn't suggest nothing was broken. However the idea we were going to fix things by embarking on the most radical deficit programme in our history (at a time of record low government borrowing costs) whilst there was a massive overhang of private debt and a bust financial system was incredibly stupid. Check out former MPC member Adam Posen's interview on Hardtalk available on youtube in which he makes clear that the Keynesian analysis of depressions has basically been proved right.
    The key issue is that at that time no one, including the UK with its own currency, could embark on Keynesian fiscal expansion because the markets weren't having it. We had a deficit going into the crisis and a large one at that, vs our peers. We went into the problem with a deficit. Sorry to repeat but this doesn't seem to be a factor for you.
  • Options
    tim said:

If Osborne is as useless as we're lead to believe, Labour should be beating the Tories to a pulp, week in and week out over the Economy. A good Shadow Chancellor would be up to the task.

Osborne wrecked Tory polling with the Omnishambles, they haven't recovered
    Can you really defend Balls? I'm not sure that you can even bring yourself to type his name.

• Options
    Next said:

Scott_P said:

Having skipped through some of the SNP's document, I note that they want to retain their "share" of the BoE based on London. But keep all of the oil & gas fields that are currently owned by the whole country and just happen to be located near Scotland.

Hmmm.
    You need to read up on international law regarding territorial waters. You can certainly keep the Bank of England if you wish , just means you keep the £1.5 Trillion debt it has and would be better option for Scotland.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

you keep the £1.5 Trillion debt

"A separate Scotland would immediately default on its International debt obligations"

That's a winner Malc.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Asked about his Commons performance, @edballsmp adds "I've got a bit of a sore throat."
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Next said:

Scott_P said:

Hmmm.
    You need to read up on international law regarding territorial waters. You can certainly keep the Bank of England if you wish , just means you keep the £1.5 Trillion debt it has and would be better option for Scotland.
    The oilfields will be Europe's. Just like Scotland's fisheries.

• Options

I don't think that your view is correct. If NO loses then then if the Scottish government wants another vote then it would have to secure agreement from the UK government
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

When Gordon Brown signed the Lisbon Treaty despite years of promising a referendum on it first, it was the Tories that ended up copping most of the flak from the media.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the same thing happened again when Labour drop the referendum bill (which of course they will even though they will once again be committed to holding one in their manifesto).
    Very few people give a sh*t about Europe. Look how little all this talk of referendum has done to the poll ratings.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Chris Leslie has been very quiet about the mismanagement at The Co-Op, like all of the other Lab Co-Op MPs.
  • Options
    It's true.

Osborne is the man who

did nothing on a boat
    bought a train ticket
    got out of a car
    ate a burger
    cried at a funeral

is presiding over the (2nd) fastest recovery in the developed World

What a liability
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Are there seriously Labour supporters who think the only problem today was the Tories were a bit rowdy and Ed B had a sore throat?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

If Osborne is as useless as we're lead to believe, Labour should be beating the Tories to a pulp, week in and week out over the Economy. A good Shadow Chancellor would be up to the task.

Osborne wrecked Tory polling with the Omnishambles, they haven't recovered
    Can you really defend Balls? I'm not sure that you can even bring yourself to type his name.

Let's see some polling of 2010 LDs, Balls usually leads Osborne

I wonder what they'll think of today's truly dire performance by the Shadow Chancellor on behalf of the Opposition.

Woeful or Wonderful?

• Options
    The 2010 LDs are the polling equivalent of Labours' bankers' bonus tax. Their influence has been spent 10 times over...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

Who cheered the Omnishambles, who cheered the Barber boom, who cheered the Lawson boom?

The same sort of people who are cheering this

@PickardJE: Obr now reckons galloping house prices will take housing market to a whisker below 2007 bubble (3pc less in real terms). That is the story.

tim

You really must be more careful about the tweets you select for posting on PB.

Apart from the obvious warning sign that a return to 2007 house price levels cannot possibly mean a 3 percent gap in real terms (cumulative inflation at 3% over six years??), there is no evidence in the OBR EFO of the levels of house price growth forecasts you have claimed.

Here are the correct figures:
    OBR EFO, December 2013                                       
    =============================================================
    % Change on a year earlier
    Outurn Forecast
    Household sector 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Real household -1.0 1.6 0.2 0.4 1.3 1.8 2.3
    disposable income

Saving ratio 6.6 7.0 6.6 5.8 5.6 5.4 5.0

House prices -1.0 1.6 1.3 1.6 3.3 4.0 4.0
    =============================================================
    There is nothing in these forecasts which should ring any alarms.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    I think Alastair Darling is an impressive politician for being 1. brainy 2.relatively lacking in vanity/ego. He did well as Chancellor when the **** hit the fan in 2007-08. I disagree with him on Scottish independence but he'd make a good Chancellor if he wants to return to the job. Ed M would be foolish not to ask him.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Next said:

Scott_P said:

Hmmm.
    Law which says that they belong to the whole of Britain at the moment.

So Scotland will simply get their "share" (a lot less than 100%).

Fields found after independence would be treated differently.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Next said:

I don't know if this article was posted yesterday, but worth reading...

The low paid taxed at 84 - 95%...

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/12/brits-are-not-lazy-ms-campeanu-theyre-just-taxed-to-death/

Why have those graphs got Income Tax starting at a bit over £5,000 rather than £9,440 which is the starting point now?

There is even an arrow with "Income tax - 20%" pointing at about £6,000!

Need to get the basics right - I'm afraid destroys credibility of article as if that's wrong, what else is wrong?

Exactly the same as someone posting on here a few weeks ago that higher rate tax starts at £32k.
  • Options
    Quoting the Darling plan is a bit ironic.

He was £100Bn+ out on his 2008 forecasts 12 months later.

Anyone who thinks he would be on the same page as his 2010 forecast is deluded.
This discussion has been closed.