Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so to South Carolina where anything other than a big Biden

SystemSystem Posts: 12,054
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so to South Carolina where anything other than a big Biden win would be a sensation

Just about ever since Betfair opened its South Carolina betting market former vice-president, 77 year old Joe Biden, has been the favourite. There was a moment a weak or so ago when when everything seems to be going on Bernie’s way and he had a day as favourite. Since then things have changed and now Biden is a 93%+chance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,064
    edited February 2020

In this thread, HYUFD will be arguing that falling off a roof never kills anyone. It is the secondary effect of hitting the pavement that is fatal.

That is so funny.

And just as I turn in

All the best folks

Good night
  • In this thread, HYUFD will be arguing that falling off a roof never kills anyone. It is the secondary effect of hitting the pavement that is fatal.

And he would be right ;)
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,599
    Chuntering about his Obama years may not work against Trump.
  • SagandSagand Posts: 35
    edited February 2020
    Iowa certified hours ago.

https://twitter.com/IACaucusInfo/status/1233804378009673728?s=20

Pete still won. Hopefully Betfair will settle soon.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,409
    FPT:

Sanders is 15/1 in South Carolina if anyone thinks he might unexpectedly win tonight.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.161393822
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2020
    That still produces no government (even if one believes that’s how people will, in practice, vote). Ireland is, to use a technical definition, fucked until the demise of one of FG or FF,

As an aside, for the tumescent Corbyn fanatics (aka ex Blairite MPs) SF believes in leaving corporation tax as is.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106

In this thread, HYUFD will be arguing that falling off a roof never kills anyone. It is the secondary effect of hitting the pavement that is fatal.

And that is correct, if you fall off a roof onto a net you survive, if you fall off a roof and hit the pavement from 100 feet you die
    So the rumoured FF and FG and Green government still has 9% more combined than Sinn Fein
  • Harris vs Haley - 2024.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    HYUFD said:

And that is correct, if you fall off a roof onto a net you survive, if you fall off a roof and hit the pavement from 100 feet you die
    Don't ever change!
  • In this thread, HYUFD will be arguing that falling off a roof never kills anyone. It is the secondary effect of hitting the pavement that is fatal.

That is so funny.

And just as I turn in

All the best folks

Good night
    Night.
  • Background to low rate of testing in US:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/29/new-fda-policy-will-expand-coronavirus-testing/?outputType=comment

Either the US has been uniquely lucky, or we should see a jump in diagnosing of Covid-19.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    HYUFD said:
    She is from that infamous Boris Fanzine called The Daily Telegraph. She would say that wouldn't she?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,250

HYUFD said:

Don't ever change!
    I don't think there's any likelihood of that.
  • HYUFD said:
    Borisgraph's senior spleenologist writes.

• HYUFD said:
    She is from that infamous Boris Fanzine called The Daily Telegraph. She would say that wouldn't she?
    Either that or the P45.
  • FPT

Background to low rate of testing in US:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/29/new-fda-policy-will-expand-coronavirus-testing/?outputType=comment

Either the US has been uniquely lucky, or we should see a jump in diagnosing of Covid-19.

The US have their head in the sand.

The first American fatality from this in Kirkland, Washington has been described as someone who hadn't travelled and hadn't been in contact with anyone who was known to have the illness.

In other words they don't have a clue who has the illness and who hasn't and aren't tracing it! This is going to be an unnecessarily massive epidemic in America because they aren't doing the basics. Idiots!

And they're putting us at more risk too. Can't be long before this is more of an American disease than a Chinese one if they don't pull their finger out.
  • Reid Epstein, in Raleigh, N.C. 17m ago

The Buttigieg team fears that if Sanders runs up a huge margin over the second-place candidate Tuesday, it will be impossible for anyone to catch him.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,023
    edited February 2020
    Doesn't seem like anyone significant will drop out after SC, so I guess we're still looking at a fragmented anti-sanders mess come Tuesday as expected?
  • CNN:

More than half of Democratic voters want a candidate who can beat Trump
    From CNN's Grace Sparks

A little over half of Democratic voters in South Carolina say they prefer a candidate who can beat President Trump versus someone who agrees with them on the issues, according to early exit polls. That is slightly lower than in the race’s early states, where more than 60% said they prefer such a candidate.

• kle4 said:

Doesn't seem like anyone significant will drop out after SC, so I guess we're still looking at a fragmented anti-sanders mess come Tuesday as expected?

To be honest we may be at the position where only the superdelegates can save us now from four more years of Trump.
  • kle4 said:

To be honest we may be at the position where only the superdelegates can save us now from four more years of Trump.
    No chance. They'll never be able to change it without the party tearing itself apart (which means four more years).
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:
    What a pathetic statement that is, nothing more than a childish piece of mockery.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,776
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

COVID19 is a primary viral pneumonitis/pneumonia. It kills by asphyxiation, hence the need for oxygen and multi system life support in 10% of cases.

By all means sit it out with paracetamol and chicken soup yourself, but do not discourage others from seeking appropriate life saving interventions.
  • kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    What a pathetic statement that is, nothing more than a childish piece of mockery.
    Indeed. And Allison's comments were a bit childish too. ;)
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Background to low rate of testing in US:

Friend of mine has just sent 100,000 validated tests to CA

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Indeed. And Allison's comments were a bit childish too. ;)
    Boom, boom!
  • In shitting the bed and buggering off news.

https://twitter.com/Innealadair/status/1233886946990186503?s=20
    That is completely inadequate protective equipment.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

COVID19 is a primary viral pneumonitis/pneumonia. It kills by asphyxiation, hence the need for oxygen and multi system life support in 10% of cases.

By all means sit it out with paracetamol and chicken soup yourself, but do not discourage others from seeking appropriate life saving interventions.
    It was the chicken soup that did for him. Not the virus. :smiley:

It was the chlorine. Just didn't agree with him.
  • Are we due an exit poll?
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

So 90% do not need Oxygen or life support then and a higher percentage than that will not need it if under 50.

So call me an idiot if you like but when your hospital is deluged with people who should be sat at home with paracetamol and chicken soup and will recover don't come crying to me when you cannot identify and treat the people who do actually need hospital treatment!!!!
  • Foxy said:

Jeez. That is scary. Maybe US is about to find out it is not actually the greatest nation on earth etc etc.

In shitting the bed and buggering off news.

https://twitter.com/Innealadair/status/1233886946990186503?s=20

That will be the Venice that is currently locked down right?
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

So 90% do not need Oxygen or life support then and a higher percentage than that will not need it if under 50.

So call me an idiot if you like but when your hospital is deluged with people who should be sat at home with paracetamol and chicken soup and will recover don't come crying to me when you cannot identify and treat the people who do actually need hospital treatment!!!!
    I’m pretty sure that he won’t come crying to you...

Btw you’ve been told you’re wrong g by a doctor, an investor in vaccine platform technologies and a statistician.

What more do you need?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Btw you’ve been told you’re wrong g by a doctor, an investor in vaccine platform technologies and a statistician.

What more do you need?
    An opinion poll.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,106
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Hyfud...thankfully now I can say this now...I worked in NHS management at a senior position before, not now.....but your posts on this are really ignorant and ill informed.....

Please stick to politics and not to stuff you know absolutely nothing about....

Foxy said:

Jeez. That is scary. Maybe US is about to find out it is not actually the greatest nation on earth etc etc.
    And sure enough...

https://twitter.com/RyanKIRO7/status/1233891901691985920?s=09
  • Katie Glueck, in Columbia, S.C. 1m ago

Even if Biden has a great night tonight, early voting is already underway in Super Tuesday states — how much ground can momentum make up?

(NYT)
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

What more do you need?

This is one of those situations where the internet is really not good......and where Gove and Cummings et al derision of the experts leads people who are ignorant to have a view on something they know nothing about....

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

What more do you need?
    An opinion poll.
    A poll of 100 people on PB delivers a 99-1 verdict
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

And sure enough...

Virus doesn't exist. It is a hoax. You can't catch it because it is a liberal lie from New York. Lies by CNN. Evolution is a fraud. Dinosaurs lived last week.

And so it goes.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

The hole you have dug is very deep now. Stop digging!

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

And sure enough...

Virus doesn't exist. It is a hoax. You can't catch it because it is a liberal lie from New York. Lies by CNN. Evolution is a fraud. Dinosaurs lived last week.

And so it goes.

If there is a terrible pandemic...possibly one of the benefits is that the kind of delusional paranoid thinking that pervades, mostly populist right wing thinking, will end....

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

There is no hole to be dug, my advice is extremely sensible whatever Foxy wants to rant about
    Biden wins in South Carolina, CNN projects
    Former Vice President Joe Biden has won the South Carolina Democratic primary, CNN projects.

Earlier today, Biden, speaking at a rally, confidently proclaimed that “the full comeback starts in South Carolina.”

“Today is a great day because I’ll tell you what the full comeback starts in South Carolina and then goes here on Tuesday,” he said earlier today. “I mean it. We’re going to win South Carolina, and the next step is North Carolina. We do enough, we’re going to win here as well and then it’s a straight path to the nomination for President of the United States of America.”

• dodradedodrade Posts: 596
    Apologies if this is a dumb question but why is so much store being set by Biden's performance tonight given the Democrats have no chance of winning South Carolina in November?
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

There is no hole to be dug, my advice is extremely sensible whatever Foxy wants to rant about
    There you are still digging! Good night.

You deserve a 'like' for bloodymindedness!
    edited March 2020
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

What more do you need?
    They have not told me I am wrong, the facts are right and they say quite clearly that less than 0.5% of those under 50 will die of coronavirus and only once you get to those over 80 will more than 10% who get coronavirus die after.

So my original point that the vast majority of those with coronivarus are better off at home with broth than in hospital remains absolutely correct and I refuse to apologise for it
    dodrade said:

Apologies if this is a dumb question but why is so much store being set by Biden's performance tonight given the Democrats have no chance of winning South Carolina in November?

It is the first southern state, with large black demographic, so gives an indication of what candidates might do in November.

Plus, if Biden loses this, he is out.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    Biden is back
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,599
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

And sure enough...

And so it goes.

If there is a terrible pandemic...possibly one of the benefits is that the kind of delusional paranoid thinking that pervades, mostly populist right wing thinking, will end....
    Pretty sure they'll just double down. 'Trump did everything he could' etc. If their media only shows the Trumpian narrative whats gonna change?
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

And sure enough...

And so it goes.

Maybe. Or will see more Millennialism, end of days type stuff.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

HYUFD isn't an idiot. He's absolutely right that panic is the biggest potential problem re coronavirus.
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Hyfud...thankfully now I can say this now...I worked in NHS management at a senior position before, not now.....but your posts on this are really ignorant and ill informed.....

Please stick to politics and not to stuff you know absolutely nothing about....
    If your advice is everyone with coronavirus should be in hospital thank God I was never in a hospital managed by you!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,250
    dodrade said:

South Carolina is a large-ish state, and a big win there for Biden propels him into first position in the delegate count.

Biden Wins South Carolina Primary, AP Projects
    Former Vice President Joe Biden is projected to win the South Carolina primary, according to the Associated Press.
    NYTimes: Biden has won SC.
    dodrade said:

Yes, Biden being popular in the South doesn't win any Red state to blue. How African Americans feel in more swing states might matter more.

I think though that Biden and Bloomberg are the only two candidates worse than Bernie.
    Biden beats Sanders - 40 to 27 on v early results.
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

HYUFD isn't an idiot. He's absolutely right that panic is the biggest potential problem re coronavirus.
    If you have an acute respiratory illness your best chance of survival will be being treated in hospital.....

Your ignorance on this matter is reckless, ignorant and dangerous....
    Foxy said:

dodrade said:

Yes, Biden being popular in the South doesn't win any Red state to blue. How African Americans feel in more swing states might matter more.

I think though that Biden and Bloomberg are the only two candidates worse than Bernie.
    Why? Yeh, I can see Bloomberg is a joke entry, but Biden? Too old - yeh, that's a given, but he is more bulletproof than Sanders surely?
    Foxy said:

dodrade said:

So the three worst candidates are the three most likely (not with anything like equal chances though of course).
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

No, the biggest potential problem with coronavirus is coronavirus. Don't Panickers like you are making it worse, by enabling governments not to enact the stringent quarantines we sadly need.

This is not a rehearsal. The "fear mongering" epidemiologists' predictions have proven to be accurate, even as the plague grows. We can no longer ignore their warnings. And their advice is that we need to self isolate, etc, and cancel mass gatherings, close schools, and so on.

If we want to get through intact as a society it looks like that's what we've got to do.
    Yep. But thankfully not sure the Chief Science types are going to be listening to some wibble on PB.com about falling doesn't kill you, only the pavement does.
    Joe Biden takes second place in overall delegates (for now)
    From CNN's Adam Levy

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s first place projected win in South Carolina brings him to second place in the national delegate estimate.

It’s still early in the night, but CNN currently estimates Biden will earn at least 14 of the state’s 54 pledged delegates at stake.

The current CNN national Democratic delegate estimate is:

Sanders: 45
    Biden: 29
    Buttigieg: 26
    Warren: 8
    Klobuchar: 7
    Back to plan Biden for the Democrat establishment
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

No, the biggest potential problem with coronavirus is coronavirus. Don't Panickers like you are making it worse, by enabling governments not to enact the stringent quarantines we sadly need.

This is not a rehearsal. The "fear mongering" epidemiologists' predictions have proven to be accurate, even as the plague grows. We can no longer ignore their warnings. And their advice is that we need to self isolate, etc, and cancel mass gatherings, close schools, and so on.

If we want to get through intact as a society it looks like that's what we've got to do.
    Fine, self isolate with broth, just do not deluge your GP and hospital just because you have a bad cough
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Point taken. What we really need to know is whether the virus is killing people with no pre-existing serious health conditions.
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

For some obscure reason, right wing populism appears to equate to delusional thinking that state intervention is bad...ergo the anti vaccine lobby. I don't know what the problem is with these people, but the thinking that coronavirus is some kind of hoax is frightening....
    tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

If you have an acute respiratory illness your best chance of survival will be being treated in hospital.....

99.5% of those under 50 will survive coronavirus without hospital treatment.

Your panic demands that everyone who gets it should go to hospital is the reckless, ignorant and dangerous advice that will hamper efforts to treat those who do need hospital treatment
    Buttigieg on 9% in a state that he was supposed to be utterly dire in.

How about a deal with Biden. Secretary of State?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    edited March 2020
    This is why the government need to get their act together and start pumping out a public awareness campaign on tv and social media.

It should be a very clear this is what you do with x, with y, with z....otherwise we will have everybody with any sort of cold / flu type symptoms storming into A&E. When we know a) the symptons of this virus has a specific fingerprint and b) younger people will more than likely be ok and best they can do is self isolate.

That will both overload the system and also make it much more likely to spread it.
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Point taken. What we really need to know is whether the virus is killing people with no pre-existing serious health conditions.
    30-40% of Italians in the north have been admitted to hospital- it has completely overloaded the Chinese health system...this isn't panic...these are people who need acute treatments
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Fine, self isolate with broth, just do not deluge your GP and hospital just because you have a bad cough
    Do you have investments in Hot Broth, Inc?
    As you said earlier, invest in soup companies like Campbells, they will be one of the few winners from coronavirus
    Pulpstar said:

They had another one?
    Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe endorses Joe Biden for president
    From CNN's Kate Sullivan

Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe on Saturday endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden for president.

Virginia is a Super Tuesday state, and voters will head to the polls next week to vote in the state’s Democratic primary.

Significant for the South.

Pulpstar said:

They had another one?
    Plan Bloomberg, Buttigieg, Clinton and plan Sherri's Brown
    edited March 2020
    "NATE SILVER
    7:20 PM

Biden’s margin among black voters in South Carolina was 60-17 over Sanders, according to exit polls. That’s much bigger than his 38-28 win among black voters in Nevada. The black vote just isn’t automatically the same from state to state and you need to be wary of analyses that presume the contrary."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/south-carolina-primary/
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551

Buttigieg on 9% in a state that he was supposed to be utterly dire in.

How about a deal with Biden. Secretary of State?

If I was him I'd hold out for VP
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Do you have investments in Hot Broth, Inc?
    As you said earlier, invest in soup companies like Campbells, they will be one of the few winners from coronavirus
    You know that soup isn't actually an anti-viral right?
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Your panic demands that everyone who gets it should go to hospital is the reckless, ignorant and dangerous advice that will hamper efforts to treat those who do need hospital treatment
    Do you not think hospitals triage those who need to be admitted??....honestly your absolute ignorance on this matter is shocking, yet you choose just to plough on ignorantly and shamelessly....

I hope this disease is contained....but if it's not we need to ensure that our health system saves people's lives..even if they have conditions or are elderly....it doesn't matter..a life is a life
    edited March 2020
    Biden currently leading in South Carolina with 70% of the vote, Steyer second with 12% and Sanders third with 10% with less than 1% in
    https://www.nytimes.com
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

They had another one?
    Plan Bloomberg, Buttigieg, Clinton and plan Sherri's Brown
    I'm liking the Sherrod Brown plan (says my wallet)
    CNN: How Biden won the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary

I guess thats a win then.
    Factoid of the night

This Is Joe Biden’s 1st-Ever Primary Win
    In his third run for the presidency, four states into the Democratic nominating process of 2020, South Carolina is finally delivering former vice president Joe Biden his first ever primary or caucus win, Yhe Associated Press projects.
    HYUFD said:

Biden currently leading in South Carolina with 70% of the vote, Steyer second with 12% and Sanders third with 10% with less than 1% in
    https://www.nytimes.com

Go Biden.

Will this be enough to persuade the powers-that-be to 'have a word' with other moderates?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

You are an idiot.

Do you not think hospitals triage those who need to be admitted??....honestly your absolute ignorance on this matter is shocking, yet you choose just to plough on ignorantly and shamelessly....

I hope this disease is contained....but if it's not we need to ensure that our health system saves people's lives..even if they have conditions or are elderly....it doesn't matter..a life is a life
    We need a really visible public information campaign ASAP, so that hospitals are only "triaging" those that need to e.g.

When should you see a doctor?
    Seek medical attention if you have those symptoms and are over the age of 60 or have underlying medical problems, Azar stressed. Anyone with shortness of breath, fever above 104 degrees, chest pain, intractable vomiting or diarrhea should seek medical attention. But if you have mild, cold or flu-like symptoms, there's no need to see a doctor.

https://www.today.com/health/what-are-coronavirus-symptoms-t174824
    Looking dismal for Warren. Surely time's up?
This discussion has been closed.