Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown – now being talked about as a compr

Comments

• Options
    Animal_pb said:

Surprised not to see more discussion about Heathrow today.

Personally I think its time to bring back the idea of Boris Island. Doesn't necessarily have to be explicitly in the Thames Estuary, but at this time of infrastructure investments a new purpose built 4-runway airport with good purpose built transport links rather than constantly messing around with an overcrowded airport in an overcrowded residential area could be a good idea now.

It's not a bad idea. You could extend Crossrail a little out past Abbey Wood and build something in the wastes of Erith.
    RAF Northolt could be relabelled as Heathrow-ish. Its local MP is Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

I've just seen a graphic of Coronavirus death rates (Obviously an early study) but it does suggest it is dangerous for elderly people with existing health problems.

The death rate for 80 plus people is 14.8 per cent, which is very considerable

Lower down the ages it plummets however.

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

Its an early study but those are pretty low numbers.

The source is worldometers.info

To put that in context, from a random google (so I haven't checked authenticity of this site) the all-cause death rate for 80-84 year olds in Us in 2017 was 6.9% male, 5.1% female; for 85 and over 14.7% and 13.0% male/female. Many many illnesses (and life itself) are dangerous for elderly people with existing health problems.
    The doctor who spoke to us this morning said that the provisional view is that adult men appear significantly more susceptible to catch the virus than women or children. The history of some of the well publicised early cases suggests this also.
    Not unusual with viral infections.
    I think the figures currently suggest around 60% more men than women.
    I'm curious. What is the reason for this?
    Poor hygene (I find that hard to believe makes a 60 percent difference)?
    Weaker immune system?
    Hormonal differences?
    Higher Alcohol/Drug consumption /Stress?

Is the same effect evident with transmissible bacterial infections?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285

IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

The US seems to be a perfect storm for Coronavirus.

1. Patients have to pay for healthcare -> will lead to sick people avoiding testing and treatment
    2. Large percentage of the population over 75, where mortality rises sharply to 10-15% (our 75+ is 9%, vs China 3.3%)
    3. Epidemic of low savings - people in the early stages of it may continue working trying to push through.
    4. Fractured healthcare system
    5. Massive rates of obesity. Obese people are 40% more likely to develop pneumonia, people with a BMI over 35 are more than twice as likely to develop it compared to a healthy person. This will lead to a substantially higher demand on resources.
    5. A President very keen on keeping the stock market on a short term high.
    6. Gun nuts that won't be keen on quarantine.

The USA has three things working in its favour though:

1: Very low population density (35 per square km in USA vs 117 per square km in EU and 274 per square km in UK)
    2: A geographically very spread out nature. The distances between US states and cities is massive compared to here, will make quarantine much easier.
    3: Much lower rates of international travel.

If coronavirus does become an epidemic in America its more likely to affect blue states before the red ones.
    But on 1, a lot of their population is very concentrated in urban areas, and they travel about a lot. Ditto 2 - the volume of internal flights mean that the distance between cities is in itself immaterial. The virus doesn’t have to walk. On 3. it only needs a little International travel - the whole Italian thing appears to have started from one couple.
    Their population density even in urban areas (barring a few coastal cities hence my blue states remark) is lower than in our comparable urban areas. Plus they tend to drive rather than take mass transit.
    In general, yes. But there is enough mass transit in the principal cities to get an epidemic going.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    kle4 said:

isam said:
    Oh thank goodness the beard trend will come to an end then.

Not that I am actually opposed to the resurgence in beards in the last decade, far from it, I'm just unable to grow a convincing one myself so I'm vindictive.
    #metoo
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020

Personally I think its time to bring back the idea of Boris Island. Doesn't necessarily have to be explicitly in the Thames Estuary, but at this time of infrastructure investments a new purpose built 4-runway airport with good purpose built transport links rather than constantly messing around with an overcrowded airport in an overcrowded residential area could be a good idea now.

In addition to probably meaning the much needed Heathrow expansion will never go ahead, this ruling sets a really harmful case law situation.

Basically new infrastructure project has to be analysed against ensuring it meets climate change commitments, and I don't see how any major road or airport could pass those (or at least won't be used by people to challenge them so much they get bogged down for years in court meaning they aren't economically viable).

On top of all the reams of barriers that are constantly challenged over the lesser spotted one wing bat nests and alike, this just adds an even big barrier to ever getting shit done, when we already have a system that has gold plated protections.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Is the Today programme a major media outlet? I don't think I know a single person who listens to it. And its approach makes it impossible for interviewees to get their message across.
    6 or 7 million audience.
    Your comment is just silly.
    That is the weekly reach - the number who listen for 5 minutes at ANY point in the week.

The programme lasts for 21 hours (?) each week.

So someone listening for 5 minutes out of 21 hours is counted in the weekly reach.

The number listening at any one point in time is a miniscule fraction of that.

There is a reason all radio audiences are published as weekly reach - because if the programme average (on one day) was published (like TV audiences) they would look very small indeed.
    No-one listens in five minute chunks. Today is effectively the Radio 4 Breakfast Show so 30 to 60 minutes would seem more plausible.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Sorry to be ungentlemanly, but to me Greta Thunberg manages to look like an infant and an OAP at the same time.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited February 2020
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

I've just seen a graphic of Coronavirus death rates (Obviously an early study) but it does suggest it is dangerous for elderly people with existing health problems.

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

To put that in context, from a random google (so I haven't checked authenticity of this site) the all-cause death rate for 80-84 year olds in Us in 2017 was 6.9% male, 5.1% female; for 85 and over 14.7% and 13.0% male/female. Many many illnesses (and life itself) are dangerous for elderly people with existing health problems.
    The doctor who spoke to us this morning said that the provisional view is that adult men appear significantly more susceptible to catch the virus than women or children. The history of some of the well publicised early cases suggests this also.
    Not unusual with viral infections.
    I think the figures currently suggest around 60% more men than women.
    I'm curious. What is the reason for this?
    Poor hygene (I find that hard to believe makes a 60 percent difference)?
    Weaker immune system?
    Hormonal differences?
    Higher Alcohol/Drug consumption /Stress?

Is the same effect evident with transmissible bacterial infections?
    Foxy was correct - it was the death rate ratio. My mistake.
    I think you see something similar with flu.

There are immune system differences between the sexes (see also the rate of autoimmune disease), and of course more men than women smoke in China.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

Dr Who spoke to you this morning? You could have asked him to travel to September to see how the pandemic pans out!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Is the Today programme a major media outlet? I don't think I know a single person who listens to it. And its approach makes it impossible for interviewees to get their message across.
    6 or 7 million audience.
    That is the weekly reach - the number who listen for 5 minutes at ANY point in the week.

So someone listening for 5 minutes out of 21 hours is counted in the weekly reach.

There is a reason all radio audiences are published as weekly reach - because if the programme average (on one day) was published (like TV audiences) they would look very small indeed.
    I tune to R4 Today by 7.30, once the dog has been out in the garden and my breakfast is on the go. I try and finish breakfast by 7.50 so that the radio is off before Platitude Of The Day comes on. But I am on my PC and back listening by 7.55 for the weather forecast, and stick with Today most days through to 9 am.

I can’t say I am too disappointed at not having to listen to Tory politicians, but agree that it’s a pretty poor show when our government doesn’t feel it necessary to put themselves before the nation’s principal morning current affairs radio show.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:
    Oh thank goodness the beard trend will come to an end then.

Not that I am actually opposed to the resurgence in beards in the last decade, far from it, I'm just unable to grow a convincing one myself so I'm vindictive.
    #metoo
    More like:

#MeMeMe
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Biden is gaffe prone and a bit doddery at times but regardless he would win all the states you’d expect a Democrat to win .

The issue between Biden and Sanders is who could take on Trump in the swing states and beat him. I’m not a fan of hypothetical polling now , the fundamentals favour Biden as a better bet than Sanders .

The polarization in US politics is far greater than that in the UK even allowing for the toxicity around Brexit.

People in the vast majority of states would vote for the Dem or GOP candidate even if they exposed themselves on stage at a campaign rally !

The only states that matter are the swing states and there Biden is a better bet .
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

Dr Who spoke to you this morning? You could have asked him to travel to September to see how the pandemic pans out!
    He said it was just starting to pick up again after a quiet summer.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    nico67 said:

Biden is gaffe prone and a bit doddery at times but regardless he would win all the states you’d expect a Democrat to win .

The issue between Biden and Sanders is who could take on Trump in the swing states and beat him. I’m not a fan of hypothetical polling now , the fundamentals favour Biden as a better bet than Sanders .

The polarization in US politics is far greater than that in the UK even allowing for the toxicity around Brexit.

People in the vast majority of states would vote for the Dem or GOP candidate even if they exposed themselves on stage at a campaign rally !

The only states that matter are the swing states and there Biden is a better bet .

Biden has been absolutely terrible, beyond terrible, car crash omni-shambling cluster-fucking disaster.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

It's not a bad idea. You could extend Crossrail a little out past Abbey Wood and build something in the wastes of Erith.
    Getting car traffic anywhere around Kent or SE London from the rest of the country would be an absolute nightmare.
    Fair point, but if you want good road links to the rest of the country that sort of pushes you back towards the Thames valley and Heathrow. You could always demolish a chunk of Slough and put more runways there, I suppose. It would be an improvement on what's there at the moment.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

I don't think that is correct. The male/ female infection rate in China is more or less equal, but the fatality rate in males is nearly twice that of females.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/18/coronavirus-is-more-fatal-in-men-than-women-major-study-suggests.html
    Well he was the lead doctor for the regional primary care network and claimed to have just had the NHS Briefing. But you probably have just as good sources,

In the ski chalet where the twelve of them were in close quarters for their holiday, it seems to be mostly men who came down with it?

But maybe I misunderstood fatality rate for infection rate
    In the paper cited, the infection rate was 51% male, while mortality was 2.8% in men, 1.7% in women. The difference seems to be in severity of immune response rather than rate of infection.
  • Options
    Even though short term market trends are essentially random, it is hard not to smile when they do what you expect. I said I was taking most of my profits at 4.30 this afternoon, since when the Dow has been on a rebound. I am starting to think about taking out a down position overnight.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

:+1: Every Dem primary voter should be forced to read this post!
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

Her...

:smiley:
  • Options
    ‘UK to withdraw from European arrest warrant

Government document reveals plans to ditch tool that allows for fast extradition of criminals‘

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/27/uk-to-withdraw-from-european-arrest-warrant?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Getting car traffic anywhere around Kent or SE London from the rest of the country would be an absolute nightmare.
    Fair point, but if you want good road links to the rest of the country that sort of pushes you back towards the Thames valley and Heathrow. You could always demolish a chunk of Slough and put more runways there, I suppose. It would be an improvement on what's there at the moment.
    Expanding Luton makes more sense. It would need a better name tho'.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foss said:

Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Flattening Luton and starting again would make great sense....oh you mean the airport.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The difference seems to be in severity of immune response rather than rate of infection.

Does that imply that serious cases could be treated with drugs which modulate the severity of the response?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

6 or 7 million audience.

I disagree with your use of "miniscule" in that sentence.

But more to the point, Today is specifically designed to cater for listeners who drop in and out at different times. It would be disingenuous to insist that listeners have to listen for all 3 hours to count for the statistics. It might be reasonable for the 30 minute scheduled programmes like "Just a Minute" though.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Biden has been absolutely terrible, beyond terrible, car crash omni-shambling cluster-fucking disaster.
    And Trump wasn’t during the 2016 campaign ! The normal rules don’t apply anymore . The vast majority of Dems will do anything to remove Trump and will vote for Biden regardless. Only the swing states matter . The demographics there are better for Biden than Sanders regardless of some dodgy current hypothetical polling .
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Even though short term market trends are essentially random, it is hard not to smile when they do what you expect. I said I was taking most of my profits at 4.30 this afternoon, since when the Dow has been on a rebound. I am starting to think about taking out a down position overnight.

I think there is further to drop, when the first significant outbreak happens in the States.

I am just sitting on my cash position for the present, with 10% of my portfolio still invested, in defensive equities. It will be a couple of months at least to the bottom.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    isam said:

Sorry to be ungentlemanly, but to me Greta Thunberg manages to look like an infant and an OAP at the same time.

That is an integral part of her spooky charisma. She looks a little bit not of this world. Her impact would be less if she looked like a routine girl.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

And Trump wasn’t during the 2016 campaign ! The normal rules don’t apply anymore . The vast majority of Dems will do anything to remove Trump and will vote for Biden regardless. Only the swing states matter . The demographics there are better for Biden than Sanders regardless of some dodgy current hypothetical polling .
    Actually Trump had a very clear set of messages, which he was incredibly good at pumping out rally after rally after rally. I am no fan of Trump, but both him and Bernie can really do these rallies, night after night. I said at the time, you can call him out on the bullshit, but his energy was unmatched, many rallies per day, giving all the greatest hits.

In the debates he talked nonsense, but he was aggressive, attacked and ridiculed his opponents and made that stuff stick.

Biden is having an absolute disaster. He is neither showing clear policy idea or managing to hurt his opponents. Most of the time he is just sort of there, like your granddad at a wedding i.e we know he is there, but he isn't going to be ruling the dance floor as his hips have gone, nor will he win the bar as all his medication means he doesn't drink like he used to.

Even the last debate, he tried to throw his weight around with the let me speak, don't cut me off, and then he mumbled China, North Korea, closer, something something, I don't know why I am stopping.
  • Options
    On topic, if Sherrod Brown wanted to be the nominee he needed to enter the race.

It would be nice for me in betting terms if he were to get it, but it seems a remote chance to me.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2020
    nico67 said:

I would say nothing's clear at this point. There's no real polling evidence in the key states so far that Biden would outperform Sanders overall , so I think it has to come down to things :

Is Sanders core vote as durable as Trump's ? If it is, his vote won't be significantly reduced by the deluge of negative campaigning about to come his way, which will be a new development for him. Essentially, is 'socialism' still enough of a dirty word in the US to make his vote softer than Trump's from here on in ?

Can BIden actually inspire enough people to match Trump's heartfelt support ? I've no idea. On the one hand, the idea that enough "never Trumpers" , rather than convinced Clintonites , would turn out to defeat Trump failed completely in 2016 , and could again. On the other hand, Bernie may create as many Never-Sanders as key supporters, and Biden never does that.

Everything is still up in the air.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    stodge said:

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1232939748286550018

The US election aint gonna happen this year is it?

There are of course people working in the UK who don't have sick pay and who literally cannot afford to miss a day's work so that will be how the coronavirus has or will spread here.

People who cannot afford to miss work won't take any notice of calls to self-isolate. They'll keep going to work no matter how sick they are because they have no choice.
    If necessary the Government can pass emergency legislation making it illegal to employ staff with potential coronavirus symptoms or require home working, enforceable by whistleblowers and inspectors
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

I think there is further to drop, when the first significant outbreak happens in the States.

I am just sitting on my cash position for the present, with 10% of my portfolio still invested, in defensive equities. It will be a couple of months at least to the bottom.
    I agree that the medium term outlook is down. I am sure the Dow will reach 24000 and in the longer term a return to 20000 isn’t unlikely. But for spread bettting - given the margin requirements (significantly increased since last year) the question is what will happen in the next few weeks.

For investors, the outlook is to me clear - don’t buy back into the market during 2020.

For speculators, if you had asked me on Monday I would have said hold sell positions for at least the rest of this month.

But I am now wondering whether the gradual warming of the northern hemisphere will turn Carry on Corona into a story that will be continued.....in the autumn.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

Have you guys not clocked that Dr Who is a WOMAN?
  • Options

Foxy said:

The difference seems to be in severity of immune response rather than rate of infection.

Does that imply that serious cases could be treated with drugs which modulate the severity of the response?
    Therapy is mostly supportive, keeping people alive while the virus subsides. There are potential interventions in terms of viral replication and in managing the cytokine inflammatory response, but not much proven yet.

There are theoretical reasons for some common drugs including Statins, ARB blood pressure tablets and metformin (used in type 2 diabetes) to be beneficial, but that doesn't seem to match the significantly higher mortality in patients with diabetes and heart disease. These are cheap generic drugs so I would expect to have been in widespread use in China.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

Well hardly anybody watches it anymore...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

There are of course people working in the UK who don't have sick pay and who literally cannot afford to miss a day's work so that will be how the coronavirus has or will spread here.

People who cannot afford to miss work won't take any notice of calls to self-isolate. They'll keep going to work no matter how sick they are because they have no choice.
    If necessary the Government can pass emergency legislation making it illegal to employ staff with potential coronavirus symptoms or require home working, enforceable by whistleblowers and inspectors
    You are all heart !!
  • Options

In addition to probably meaning the much needed Heathrow expansion will never go ahead, this ruling sets a really harmful case law situation.

Basically new infrastructure project has to be analysed against ensuring it meets climate change commitments, and I don't see how any major road or airport could pass those (or at least won't be used by people to challenge them so much they get bogged down for years in court meaning they aren't economically viable).

On top of all the reams of barriers that are constantly challenged over the lesser spotted one wing bat nests and alike, this just adds an even big barrier to ever getting shit done, when we already have a system that has gold plated protections.
    To be fair this ruling didn't set that in motion, votes in Parliament did. Parliament voted to require the planning rules the judges based upon. Parliament voted to have the zero carbon policy. The judges are implementing what Parliament voted upon - if Parliament didn't mean that they shouldn't have voted for it - and Parliament has the ability to reverse this precedent through new votes if it wanted to do so.

Future planning applications will know they need to deal with this. The ruling was based upon the Paris agreement being ignored as not relevant despite Parliament voting to make it policy.

There is certainly an argument to be made that an improved airport can lower carbon emissions by stopping planes from circling etc - a smartly designed new airport may be able to lower emissions further.
  • Options

Interesting thought, that.

If Coronavirus strikes bigtime in the US and Trump's ratings plummet, what are the chances he'll try to push for a postponement?

Does the constitution even allow for a postponement?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

MikeL said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

6 or 7 million audience.

No-one listens in five minute chunks. Today is effectively the Radio 4 Breakfast Show so 30 to 60 minutes would seem more plausible.
    I occasionally listen in on the way to work. 5 minutes is usually about as much as I can stand before the red mist descends and I turn it off. Seriously - why are so many interviewees so poor, and the interviewers no better? On areas I know a little about, many of their interviewees are so clueless I could wipe the floor with either side, provided I knew which side's case I was meant to be arguing.

The interviewers are no better - they constantly let interviewees get away with assertions which are plain untrue, when they might do better to hold their feet to the fire (I suspect their research generally isn't adequate, they certainly seem to get blinded by science a lot).
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

You mean its not David Tennant?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    Alistair said:

eadric said:
    I work in flights, our income has been smashed.

And to go all materialistic about things this is an absolute bummer as we have share options that are vesting soon which are going to lose a lot of value.
    Real bummer
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Nah. How can someone who’s not been tested by the primaries get chosen? Bloomberg is bad enough. Should be a good shout for VP though.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

I don’t watch children’s TV so I wouldn’t know.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

You are all heart !!
    Well if it saves lives in the long run
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

Nah. How can someone who’s not been tested by the primaries get chosen? Bloomberg is bad enough. Should be a good shout for VP though.

I am shocked how bad Bloomberg is. He has all the resources one could possibly hope for to prep him, he has spent $400m in advertisting and has previously been a long time elected politician, so you would think would be a) able to dunk and dive in a debate and b) able to realize the level of incoming that will be fired and be prepped for it.

Instead all you get is the odd really cringe-worthy attempt at a joke, some mumbling and muttering and then bogged down in NDAs.

He is exactly how I imagine Zuckerberg would have done if he had decided to run, but Bloomberg actually has been a politician.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Foss said:

Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Flattening Luton and starting again would make great sense....oh you mean the airport.
    Same of Croydon, which had London's first airport and could have been made jet-ready .... if someone had had the foresight and, er, not built Croydon, or built it around a long enough strip of land for jets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_Airport

After all, Washington DC has a National Airport which is only about 4 miles/6 km from the White House.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

You are all heart !!
    Well if it saves lives in the long run
    You just do not have any empathy and at times talk nonsense, as in your views on Scotlands indyref 2
  • Options
    I think I might need to have a lie down as I actually agree with an Adonis tweet...

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1232978314559729665?s=20
  • Options
    Canada to stop paying towards Harry and Meghan's security 'within weeks'

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/o9UgkX

Sent via @updayUK
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Sent via @updayUK

I thought old black face said they would be more than happy to pay for it if they moved to Canada?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

Well hardly anybody watches it anymore...
    It isn't Tom Baker?
  • Options
    Today's shocking news from a Labour extremist is that a union booed a Tory minister.

Tomorrow's shocking news is that a footballer kicked a ball.
  • Options
    FTSE top 100 companies have lost £152 billion in the last four days
  • Options

Today's shocking news from a Labour extremist is that a union booed a Tory minister.

Tomorrow's shocking news is that a footballer kicked a ball. banged a Instagram model behind his girlfriend back
    Fixed for you...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2020
    My dem nomination position has improved dramatically over that blast 48 hours, my cash out value has doubled. Who have been the big movers, My Boy Sherrod Brown excepted?
  • Options

... or rather their investors have.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    isam said:

Government document reveals plans to ditch tool that allows for fast extradition of criminals‘

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/27/uk-to-withdraw-from-european-arrest-warrant?CMP=share_btn_tw

Criminals taking back control, I see. Costa del Crime will be a thing again?
  • Options

... or rather their investors have.
    That is true and pension funds
  • Options
    Alistair said:

My dem nomination position has improved dramatically over that blast 48 hours, my cash out value has doubled. Who have been the big movers, My Boy Sherrod Brown excepted?

Biden shortening, Bloomberg lengthening.

Or, to put it another way, some modicum of sense returning to the market. The odds on Bloomberg were nuts.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

You don't know which of the Doctors IanB2 spoke to. It could just as easily be the 2029 incarnation of the Doctor than the 2019/20 incarnation.
  • Options

Sent via @updayUK

I thought old black face said they would be more than happy to pay for it if they moved to Canada?
    He now realises it is 20M a year and they are a pair of whinging wokes.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

You are all heart !!
    So will it send most so-called 'self-employed' (ha ha) van drivers home without pay and ban car mechanics, electricians, carpenters, jobbing builders, agricultural contractors, etc from going out to work?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

Not looking good in Iran

twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1233087384910254081?s=19

Has Alex Jones claimed it is a giant conspiracy for regime change yet?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Brown is down to 110/190, ludicrous.
  • Options

Tomorrow's shocking news is that a footballer kicked a ball.
    https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1232679362912247811?s=21
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Hmmm... remind me what the mortality rate estimates were for elderly men?
  • Options
    I can't see any way we avoid a serious crash this year now. Coronavirus may or may not be containable and/or a major cause of global mortality* but the economic damage seems unavoidable to me.

Worse than 2008/9 I suspect.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

You don't know which of the Doctors IanB2 spoke to. It could just as easily be the 2029 incarnation of the Doctor than the 2019/20 incarnation.
    He was a very well spoken early middle aged Asian guy. I will leave it to fans of kiddie television to decide which of them it might be, or might yet be.
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Hmmm... remind me what the mortality rate estimates were for elderly men?
    1 or 2 out of those in the picture.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

50/59 is 1.3%
    40/49 is 0.40%
    20/29 is 0.20%.

He was a very well spoken early middle aged Asian guy. I will leave it to fans of kiddie television to decide which of them it might be, or might yet be.
    Ok you've convinced me...

But never mind who's Who, or the extent of corona - when did the stock market bottom out?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Time to start thinking who BENEFITS from a wide pandemic requiring mass quarantine..

My initial list

Netflix (their shares are UP)
    Publishers and writers (lots more time to read)
    Journalists and journalism (same reason, plus desire for news)
    Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Staycation companies in remoter parts of the uk: holiday cottages in the Grampians are a BUY
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

Anything pregnancy related....to boom in about 9 months.
  • Options
    Oh great...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/27/coronavirus-england-only-has-15-beds-for-worst-respiratory-cases

Can't see the government coming out of this smelling of roses if it gets bad.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Time to start thinking who BENEFITS from a wide pandemic requiring mass quarantine..

My initial list

Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Staycation companies in remoter parts of the uk: holiday cottages in the Grampians are a BUY
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

Big Pharma? Governments likely to splash the cash for treatments/cures.

Food processing companies - ready meals, canners?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eadric said:

My initial list

Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

3 M
    Funeral directors
    Scrap metal merchants
  • Options
    eadric said:

Oh great...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/27/coronavirus-england-only-has-15-beds-for-worst-respiratory-cases

Christ. We’re another Wuhan in the making.
    Don't worry 5 of those beds are on Osea! :lol:
  • Options

Oh great...

Carlotta will be on soon to say the SNP run NHS is much worse and only has a few hundred
  • Options
    FF43 said:

isam said:

Criminals taking back control, I see. Costa del Crime will be a thing again?
    The Costa del Crime was a retirement home for British armed robbers. Trouble is (apart from extradition) the expanding drug trade has attracted a lot of very violent gangs so it is even more dangerous than parts of London, as this URL (no need to read the story!) explains.
    https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2019/12/02/revealed-shocking-timeline-of-violence-on-spains-costa-del-sol-sees-up-to-four-brits-killed-as-emboldened-drug-mafias-use-bombs-and-assassinate-enemies-in-broad-daylight/
  • Options
    nichomar said:

eadric said:

My initial list

Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

3 M
    Funeral directors
    Scrap metal merchants
    3M? Do they make masks?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Oh great...

I am sure that Dr Foxy said that that treatment cost £50k per patient per treatment and can only be used on somebody for about a week. That is why there are hardly any of them. And it didn't help the whistle-blower doctor in China when they used it on him.

For example, I believe Wales has 0 of them.
  • Options

Oh great...

Don't worry Boris Johnson will heal the lepers and sick.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

eadric said:

My initial list

Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

3 M
    Funeral directors
    Scrap metal merchants
    3M? Do they make masks?
    Yes!
  • Options

Oh great...

The age-old tension that politicians never understood between efficiency and spare capacity.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    eadric said:

90% of businesses are gonna suffer from this virus. But not all. It’s time to start thinking who BENEFITS from a wide pandemic requiring mass quarantine..

My initial list

Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

If the Black Death is anything to go by, healthy working age survivors will see the price of their labour go up.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Oh great...

The age-old tension that politicians never understood between efficiency and spare capacity.
    These aren't standard hospital beds. They are £50k a week specialist treatment.

I would imagine any NHS trust would struggle to determine ordering many of these over all the other potential upgrades they could do to a hospital.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    malcolmg said:

Oh great...

Carlotta will be on soon to say the SNP run NHS is much worse and only has a few hundred
    No worries. The bracing air north of the border should stop it from spreading. And, if you do get it, a few wee drams will see the afflicted alright.
  • Options
    More deliberate SNP policies to benefit Scotland, where is Carlotta.
    https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1233075874393731074
  • Options
    eadric said:

Laughter in the darkness

twitter.com/keya5000/status/1233096238846939137?s=21

I broke down and just popped in to ask to use the phone...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    malcolmg said:

More news from the SNP official twitter account?
  • Options
    eadric said:
    Well at least they have something to do whilst they're in quarantine.
  • Options
    I was thinking about the potential shortage of general hospital beds and the Chinese response of building a potakabin hospital in 6 days.

We clearly couldn't do that here (it would take 6 years of planning to decide where to site it) but...

... There are potentially going to be a lot of empty cruise ships in dock if panic sets in. Could some of these be repurposed into makeshift hospitals?

(No idea where the staff would come from but then the Chinese must have faced the same issue.)
  • Options

eadric said:
    What would that be?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    malcolmg said:

Not sure about that. Downgrading of maternity services a big issue across the north of Scotland - constantly in the local press. Scotland is more than the Central Belt.
  • Options

eadric said:
    What would that be?
    Spend their luncheon vouchers.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

(No idea where the staff would come from but then the Chinese must have faced the same issue.)

iirc the Chinese used their military medical people to staff the new hospital. Obviously there's a limit to how many times they can do that, but a definite advantage to having a military of 2 million+
  • Options

eadric said:
    What would that be?
    I'm sure they'll be willing to provide us all with a blow by blow account of their activities during quarantine.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    eadric said:

90% of businesses are gonna suffer from this virus. But not all. It’s time to start thinking who BENEFITS from a wide pandemic requiring mass quarantine..

My initial list

Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

Those making conference calling facilities.
This discussion has been closed.