Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited February 2020 in General

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    First like Starmer.
  • Options
    Second like my boy Burgon.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Ah, Undefined discussion subject.

No going off topic, please.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FPT:
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    What would flu death rate look like if there was no flu vaccine about ?
    The Spanish Flu was about 10%, but that was pre antibiotics.
    If you weren't a doctor, I'd be asking what have antibiotics to do with tackling a viral infection. Did the Spanish flu mainly kill through secondary bacterial infections or something?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Well, 16% isn't total humilation I guess. And 30ish is creditable for second place. But it is a very boring contest.

Though I like this mini thread for using one of my favourite words 'obviate'.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,993
    rpjs said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    If you weren't a doctor, I'd be asking what have antibiotics to do with tackling a viral infection. Did the Spanish flu mainly kill through secondary bacterial infections or something?
    FPT
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    Yes, death was either very rapid, via viral pneumonia and cytokine cascade, or via secondary bacterial infection.

There is some evidence of fatalities from asprin overdose causing lung injury too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    Yes, death was either very rapid, via viral pneumonia and cytokine cascade, or via secondary bacterial infection.
    There is some evidence of fatalities from asprin overdose causing lung injury too.
    We're going to run out of antibiotics if it really takes hold due to the number of patients with secondary infections aren't we ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited February 2020
    For a side that was only formed in the last decade and play in a pub league, this Sevco/The Rangers team are doing well tonight in the Europa League.

They are an inspiration to minnows/newly formed clubs everywhere.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585
    edited February 2020
    31% of members think RBL is the answer to the shellacking Lab just got?

Jeez. Starmer has his work cut out.

I hope Starmer stands for stamina.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    We're going to run out of antibiotics if it really takes hold due to the number of patients with secondary infections aren't we ?I guess that's one of a whole bunch of reasons why slowing down the spread of infection will make a big difference, even if it can't be contained.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Voted. Weird confusing website. You have to drag and order candidates. Now waiting for my second vote.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Watched Javid resigning in the Commons. Impressive. A lightweight no more. He seemed to visibly grow as he spoke. Not hair - no obvious change there - but in stature. Hats off.
  • Options
    This is the best thread ever.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    It’s remarkable why this rule is so hard for some motorists to understand.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    We're going to run out of antibiotics if it really takes hold due to the number of patients with secondary infections aren't we ?

I’m not so sure actually. It’s the one thing I’d expect the Government to have serious reserve stocks of.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I guess Labour is really happy with upper middle class white men leading the party then.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Andy_JS said:
    for comparison what was Obama's job approval at this stage 8 years ago?
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    Maybe it is coronavirusthat makes me morbid, but is that the grim reaper behind JRMs left shoulder?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Andy_JS said:
    for comparison what was Obama's job approval at this stage 8 years ago?
    Quite similar - https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings

You may have to scroll down.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I guess Labour is really happy with upper middle class white men leading the party then.

We are. Nixon goes to China.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,552

ydoethur said:
    Many simply aren't thinking.
    Many think they know better how roads should work.
    Many are a strange mixture of indignant and terrified about the prospect of other drivers joining the motorway at the next junction.
    Berks, all.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Why would Labour object to having a leader who has worked his way through the English class system to achieve extraordinary things, helped in large part by a redistributive state that enabled him to fulfil his potential? What Starmer has achieved is everything that Labour should be about.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    Looks like a clear win for Starmer then on the first ballot and talk of Nandy beating Long Bailey for second was mistaken
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @Pulpstar

Secondary pneumonia with bacteria seems less of a problem with Corvid 19, and antibiotics have long shelf lives so I don't think stocks are a problem.

The lung disease seems to be a progressive viral pneumonia, peaking at 10 days, possibly exacerbated by an excessive host inflammatory response. Treatment is essentially supportive with oxygen and fluids. There is no specific treatment, though there are a few antiviral drugs being tried.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Starmer is working class by birth, he only got to upper middle class through university and his legal career to be fair to him
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Voted. Weird confusing website. You have to drag and order candidates. Now waiting for my second vote.

I have not had any ballots through. I have a horroible feeling it is something to do with an article I posted on here a couple of years back, which led to an official complaint being made against me by someone whose identity I never discovered. When I left the party I assumed that it would all be dropped, but maybe it was just sitting on file waiting for me to come back!!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

Secondary pneumonia with bacteria seems less of a problem with Corvid 19, and antibiotics have long shelf lives so I don't think stocks are a problem.

The lung disease seems to be a progressive viral pneumonia, peaking at 10 days, possibly exacerbated by an excessive host inflammatory response. Treatment is essentially supportive with oxygen and fluids. There is no specific treatment, though there are a few antiviral drugs being tried.

Good Lancet paper about a case in Canada. Mild pneumonia. No O2 reqd.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:
    Many simply aren't thinking.
    Many think they know better how roads should work.
    Many are a strange mixture of indignant and terrified about the prospect of other drivers joining the motorway at the next junction.
    Berks, all.
    Yep, I think some just kind of like sitting there because “options”, and can then switch off.

Total Highway Code fail.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Well a majority of Democrats now seem to think the leftwing Sanders is the best bet to beat Trump, at least Labour is finally electing the centrist candidate
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    HYUFD said:

Looks like a clear win for Starmer then on the first ballot and talk of Nandy beating Long Bailey for second was mistaken

The latter is a great shame.
  • Options

To put that Long-Bailey total into context, Owen Smith got 38% in 2016.

• Options

Jonathan said:

I have not had any ballots through. I have a horroible feeling it is something to do with an article I posted on here a couple of years back, which led to an official complaint being made against me by someone whose identity I never discovered. When I left the party I assumed that it would all be dropped, but maybe it was just sitting on file waiting for me to come back!!

Mine was in spam filter. 😀
  • Options

Assuming Starmer wins, what will all the Corbyn fans that joined while he was leader do?

1) Leave and set up new party.

2) Leave and get disinterested in Politics

3) Stay members paying the £4 a month but not do anything for the party.

4) Stay but continually campaign within the party for a return to a Corbyn like leader, in a never-eding civil war.

5) stay and campaign for the party as viscerally as they did before?

Clearly each is an individual and some will try each of the above, but what do we think most will do? given its potentially 100,000 plus people we are talking about it could make a difference to how successful labour are.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

I don't like to crow, but the virus is called Covid, not Corvid...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    HYUFD said:

Well a majority of Democrats now seem to think the leftwing Sanders is the best bet to beat Trump, at least Labour is finally electing the centrist candidate
    Isn't Sanders' support well below 40% ?
  • Options
    Unite are pushing RLB hard. It’s not over IMO.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Expectations are a funny thing.

Mine were so low for RLB she’s actually exceeded them.

Starmer has been exactly how I expected.

Nandy too, because I expected her to be the best - and she has been.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

Well, that just sounds lovely.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    So if Bloomberg goes up or down by 0.5% sanders could get 100% or 62% of the statewide delegates in Washington.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Dr Fox,

"The lung disease seems to be a progressive viral pneumonia, peaking at 10 days, possibly exacerbated by an excessive host inflammatory response."

Wasn't that a characteristic response of Spanish flu in 1918? Explaining some of the death rate in some younger age groups.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Nandy would be a big asset in a Starmer cabinet.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Agreed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Jonathan said:

I didn't have to do that. I just had to click on each name in turn.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    Charles said:

Charles you are upper middle class. Keir Starmer isn't.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

"The lung disease seems to be a progressive viral pneumonia, peaking at 10 days, possibly exacerbated by an excessive host inflammatory response."

Wasn't that a characteristic response of Spanish flu in 1918? Explaining some of the death rate in some younger age groups.

I had mild pneumonia at university when I was 20.

It was absolutely horrible. I felt and looked like death. I felt freezing cold and boiling hot (because I had a very high temperature) at the same time.

Never again.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles is upper class born and bred never mind upper middle class
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Free the Labour Two.

(You and Al Campbell)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Isn't Sanders' support well below 40% ?
    Head to head as Yougov showed he beat every candidate with Democrats
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Assuming Starmer wins, what will all the Corbyn fans that joined while he was leader do?

4) Stay but continually campaign within the party for a return to a Corbyn like leader, in a never-eding civil war.

Clearly each is an individual and some will try each of the above, but what do we think most will do? given its potentially 100,000 plus people we are talking about it could make a difference to how successful labour are.
    4)

And post many, many comments on CiF.
  • Options
    Sanders polling is vastly different to Corbyns.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

having endorsed her, Unite and Len McClusky are in danger of looking both silly and week if she totally flops so I understand why they are now trying, but do they have much inflownce? in 2017 less than 100,000 affiliates voted in total, (Unite members will only be a fraction of that) and many of those will have subsequently joined the party in there own right now. and Corbyns support from registered supporters was only slightly 1.2% more than members overall. Can unite inflwanse people outside the union? a bit maybe but being funding her campaign but I suspect not much beyond that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

It was absolutely horrible. I felt and looked like death. I felt freezing cold and boiling hot (because I had a very high temperature) at the same time.

Never again.
    I have had pneumonia 6 times (and much else besides). It is horrible. I have bronchiectasis. I have to do all I can to avoid further lung infections.

Where I am currently am is practically off the map. So am keeping calm.

I try not to worry about stuff I can do little about.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Shadow Home Secretary, I'm thinking.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles is upper class born and bred never mind upper middle class
    It's a dammed near-run thing.

A scion of the upper classes perhaps. I'm not going to get hung up on it. Whichever, as you say Starmer was working class going to a state school and through hard work has made it into the middle classes.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Yes lol, it's much better - healthcare in the USA is in a shocking state compared to here for the average person.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Someone, who shall remain nameless, asked in the previous thread, apropos, coronovirus:

Have the Orkneys sealed themselves off yet?

THIS IS IMPORTANT:

Never say "Orkneys" or, for that matter, "Shetlands". You should always use the singular.. It's either Orkney or the Orkney Islands.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.
    I have had pneumonia 6 times (and much else besides). It is horrible. I have bronchiectasis. I have to do all I can to avoid further lung infections.

Oh god, poor you..

Good luck. Hopefully we’ll all be ok.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Oh god, poor you..

Good luck. Hopefully we’ll all be ok.
  • Options
    The Party has had to explain that an email that they sent out yesterday on behalf of John McDonnell was an RLB campaign email.

However, what hasn't been explained is why her campaign gets to send out a second email when none of the others appear to have done so.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yes lol, it's much better - healthcare in the USA is in a shocking state compared to here for the average person.
    The separation of powers might have something to do with that.

A US President isn’t quite as domestically all powerful as a UK PM.
  • Options

Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

My spell checker must be raven a laugh.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

Probably a rookie spell checker
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

I thought you were just doing it for a lark.
  • Options
    I see that plod is warning attendees to Greta's forthcoming Bristol climate strike rally that they are at risk of "slips, trips, falls and crushing".

60,000 attended a rally of hers in Stuttgart.

There is a touch of the Maid of Orleans about the whole thing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

Certainly made you look like a right tit.

(joking, of course :p )
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Jonathan said:

I found the process last time round (1 Miss 4%, 2 Jez) simple enough but I'm not participating this time round given the last 4 years in politics.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

It does seem that the Spanish Flu caused a fulminating response in young people, but that doesn't seem to be the general case with this Coronovirus. There are few severe cases in the under 30s, and more typically it is slowly progressive over a week to 10 days, when not self limiting.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I see that plod is warning attendees to Greta's forthcoming Bristol climate strike rally that they are at risk of "slips, trips, falls and crushing".

We weren't that nice to her.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Jonathan said:

I think I'd defend that if you were actually suspended while they looked into it. Say you were alleged to be a mad anti-semite, and were suspended while it was checked out. It wouldn't make sense if you could simply resign and then rejoin as a fresh new member - they would need to have a look to see if you were a known suspendee.

I'd be all in favour of clearing you (and Al) now though.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Yes, take care. Home working in the Lakes sounds a good plan.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

Jonathan said:

Perhaps they have two versions... an easy, straightforward one for RLB supportes and a nigh on impossible one for everyone else? :wink:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    BigRich said:

Most of the Corbynites I know (like myself) are philosophical about it - we lost, we accept it's time to try someone new, and we hope they won't swing violently right. Unless Starmer goes out of his way to attack them, I think most will stick around and see how it goes. They certainly won't start a new party in any number.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    TOPPING said:

Since nobody is asking -

Charles is 17 on the Class Test and Starmer is 13.

That's where 18 is max upper and 6 is salt of.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmwMhjbThKg
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Bloomberg is going to wish he'd come in 1 state earlier.
    I'm mulling a whole range of scenarios after South Carolina - the tea leaves look good for Biden there anyway
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

@Pulpstar

Bet you were quite chough-ed with yourself about that one....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

There's a reason the Dems mid term messaging was all healthcare all the time.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Was it about pineapple or AV?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090

Charles said:

Why would Labour object to having a leader who has worked his way through the English class system to achieve extraordinary things, helped in large part by a redistributive state that enabled him to fulfil his potential? What Starmer has achieved is everything that Labour should be about.

Bring back Grammars and expand assisted places at Fee paying schools? Sounds good
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    When Biden wins SC I am expecting the market to go bananananananas
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Brokered convention here we come with Hillary Clinton as the one every unites behind.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Brokered convention here we come with Hillary Clinton as the one every unites behind.
    Not even in jest
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest
    She's my only red now, so it's going to happen.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest
    You are going to pay a terrible price in all other aspects of your life for Liverpool winning the League.

Remember that Faustian pact?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Jonathan said:

Your fears may be premature here in that I have encountered other full party members who have yet to receive a ballot paper. That also applies to myself as member of an affiliated organisation.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited February 2020

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest
    You are going to pay a terrible price in all other aspects of your life for Liverpool winning the League.

Remember that Faustian pact?
    Earlier on this season I actually promised to become a good Muslim if Liverpool won the title this year.

Fortunately I never specified for how long.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    isam said:

Charles said:

Bring back Grammars and expand assisted places at Fee paying schools? Sounds good
    No - I attended a Grammar School but it was a very unfair system.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest
    I still have a Bloomberg hole to go along with her.
This discussion has been closed.