Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    When Biden wins SC I am expecting the market to go bananananananas
    Brokered convention here we come with Hillary Clinton as the one every unites behind.
    Not even in jest
    She's my only red now, so it's going to happen.
    I still have a Bloomberg hole to go along with her.
    Relax, right now, you have has as many pledged delegates as Bloomberg, and still will after South Carolina.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Brokered convention here we come with Hillary Clinton as the one every unites behind.
    Not even in jest
    You are going to pay a terrible price in all other aspects of your life for Liverpool winning the League.

Remember that Faustian pact?
    It's coming home
    It's coming home
    It's coming
    Football's coming home

Liver bird on a shirt
    Old big ears still gleaming
    Thirty years of hurt
    Never stopped me dreaming
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    edited February 2020

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

"The lung disease seems to be a progressive viral pneumonia, peaking at 10 days, possibly exacerbated by an excessive host inflammatory response."

Wasn't that a characteristic response of Spanish flu in 1918? Explaining some of the death rate in some younger age groups.

I had mild pneumonia at university when I was 20.

It was absolutely horrible. I felt and looked like death. I felt freezing cold and boiling hot (because I had a very high temperature) at the same time.

Never again.
    I have had pneumonia 6 times (and much else besides). It is horrible. I have bronchiectasis. I have to do all I can to avoid further lung infections.

Where I am currently am is practically off the map. So am keeping calm.

I try not to worry about stuff I can do little about.
    Oh god, poor you..

Good luck. Hopefully we’ll all be ok.
    Thank you.

I had an intimation of mortality just before Xmas when I became very ill very quickly. My son was with me and he said: “Mum. You’re white and your lips are blue.” I had chest pain and it crossed my mind that maybe this was it: heart attack and off. I’d go to bed and not wake up. Partly it was because the evening before my mother died in her sleep we’d noticed that her lips were a bit blue (she had a cold) and told her we’d get the doctor in the next morning. And this was around Xmas too. So there seemed to be echoes which my son’s words brought to the surface, even though he did not know this.

Instead of which I got something nastier.

Anyway I’m still here but I remember thinking that I mustn’t worry my sons - they were all for calling an ambulance - and that bothering doctors at Xmas was the last thing they needed. I really didn’t want them (my sons) seeing me in such a state.

And now I do wonder whether I shouldn’t hoick them out of London, just in case .....
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest
    You are going to pay a terrible price in all other aspects of your life for Liverpool winning the League.

Earlier on this season I actually promised to become a good Muslim if Liverpool won the title this year.

Fortunately I never specified for how long.
    You could give up alcohol for Lent, which started today. Cultural appropriation I believe it’s called. 😏
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited February 2020

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest

Earlier on this season I actually promised to become a good Muslim if Liverpool won the title this year.

You're in a right pickle then. Once you declare the Shahadah that's it my old fruit. Muslim you then be. And here's the rub. If you then backslide you're worse off than if you hadn't opened with those glorious words in the first place.* Apostate!

* And yes they are utterly glorious. Whatever your take on Islam, the words of the Shahada are quite sublime. The Arabic alliteration is beautiful.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest

You're in a right pickle then. Once you declare the Shahadah that's it my old fruit. Muslim you then be. And here's the rub. If you then backslide you're worse off than if you hadn't opened with those glorious words in the first place.* Apostate!

* And yes they are utterly glorious. Whatever your take on Islam, the words of the Shahada are quite sublime. The Arabic alliteration is beautiful.
    I declared the Shahadah many years ago.

Actually I'm a very good Muslim if you ignore my constant whoring and gambling, and that I only pray twice a year, if that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,163
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

"The lung disease seems to be a progressive viral pneumonia, peaking at 10 days, possibly exacerbated by an excessive host inflammatory response."

Wasn't that a characteristic response of Spanish flu in 1918? Explaining some of the death rate in some younger age groups.

It was absolutely horrible. I felt and looked like death. I felt freezing cold and boiling hot (because I had a very high temperature) at the same time.

Never again.
    I have had pneumonia 6 times (and much else besides). It is horrible. I have bronchiectasis. I have to do all I can to avoid further lung infections.

Yes, take care. Home working in the Lakes sounds a good plan.
    The Lakes, particularly the quiet bits, is a good place. Stay safe, Cyclefree.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest

Actually I'm a very good Muslim if you ignore my constant whoring and gambling, and that I only pray twice a year, if that.
    The best sort!

:smile:
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest

Lawyers, at least in private practice, spend quite a lot of time praying. Generally it involves transactions going to term and is mixed with a big element of “there but for the grace of god”.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    edited February 2020
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    The 15 that Biden was at with Betfair before last night's debate was always a bit silly, since he was bound to come in with South Carolina being the next primary.
  • Options
    So. Was the Javid speech so unmemorable that it’s not even worth mentioning?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I can help you there. As a precis, he said something along the lines of "I should be able to pick my advisors, but I fully support this wonderful govt in which I have total confidence and our glorious PM. And that is why I resigned"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,094
    justin124 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

I guess Labour is really happy with upper middle class white men leading the party then.

Why would Labour object to having a leader who has worked his way through the English class system to achieve extraordinary things, helped in large part by a redistributive state that enabled him to fulfil his potential? What Starmer has achieved is everything that Labour should be about.

Bring back Grammars and expand assisted places at Fee paying schools? Sounds good
    No - I attended a Grammar School but it was a very unfair system.
    Why not have one per constituency and let all the parents who’d rather their kids go to an academy or whatever do so? Nice to have the choice.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Oh god, poor you..

And now I do wonder whether I shouldn’t hoick them out of London, just in case .....
    Fox Jr is in London now, and growing up to be a fine young man. Travelling on the tube, going to theatres and crowded pubs etc.

The risks to youngsters are quite low though, so he should be fine if he gets it. There have been very few fatalities under 30, mostly minor symptoms and quick resolution.

I suspect your kids are equally low risk in London, if that is any comfort.

• Options
    eadric said:

There are blue tick Republicans on Twitter seriously declaring that coronavirus is a media conspiracy to stop Trump winning.

America is crocked

You've only noticed?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    eadric said:

There are blue tick Republicans on Twitter seriously declaring that coronavirus is a media conspiracy to stop Trump winning.

America is crocked

You'll probably get tele-evangalists saying it's been sent by God to purify the gene pool.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

He spoke up quite strongly for his fiscal rules as written in the manifesto, and for debt to be lower at the end of Parliament. Low taxes, tight on value for taxpayers money.

I suspect that is why Johnson wanted him out.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I can help you there. As a precis, he said something along the lines of "I should be able to pick my advisors, but I fully support this wonderful govt in which I have total confidence and our glorious PM. And that is why I resigned"
    😀
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Oh god, poor you..

Fox Jr is in London now, and growing up to be a fine young man. Travelling on the tube, going to theatres and crowded pubs etc.

The risks to youngsters are quite low though, so he should be fine if he gets it. There have been very few fatalities under 30, mostly minor symptoms and quick resolution.

Thank you.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest

You're a MINO? :)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,548

Cyclefree said:

LOL
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    eadric said:

America is crocked

For "balance" there are also people saying Trump will use coronavirus as an excuse to suspend the election.

I'm certain that 2020 will have more craziness than 2000 and 2016 combined.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Oh god, poor you..

Thank you.
    Children are always a worry, but for this, probably not too much.

I am hoping that containment measures will keep outbreaks under control, and that it doesn't kick off in a big way other than economically (which will bounce back quickly after the peak).

I am not a particularly brave sort, and not so much in the front line as some others, but will not shirk when duty calls. I signed up for this 3 decades ago, and have had a good career.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    I’m immune suppressed somewhat, I take Adalimumab. I wonder if I should be worried. I never really get colds or anything like that though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    It wasn’t Mandela, it was some other 800 year old demigod and dildo collector.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    isam said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

I guess Labour is really happy with upper middle class white men leading the party then.

Why would Labour object to having a leader who has worked his way through the English class system to achieve extraordinary things, helped in large part by a redistributive state that enabled him to fulfil his potential? What Starmer has achieved is everything that Labour should be about.

Bring back Grammars and expand assisted places at Fee paying schools? Sounds good
    No - I attended a Grammar School but it was a very unfair system.
    Why not have one per constituency and let all the parents who’d rather their kids go to an academy or whatever do so? Nice to have the choice.
    In the past it was never a matter of choice - nor was admission dependant on reaching a particular academic threshold. So much was owed to luck - in that pupils who gained entry in one academic year would have been rejected in another year and vice versa.In large metropolitan areas such as London entry requirements varied significantly from borough to borough, so that applicants failing to obtain entry in Redbridge - say - would likely have been successful in Enfield - or vise versa.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    eadric said:
    If you are in Iran certainly, though 8 deaths in a big hospital in a non developed country could have been worse
  • Options
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:
    If you are in Iran certainly, though 8 deaths in a big hospital in a non developed country could have been worse
    The concern is not the number (tho it is high) it is that Iran is so obviously lying.

This is the second plausible report from Qom that the Iranian regime is desperately fibbing about the true scale of the epidemic.
    It is still a theocracy so no real surprise about its secrecy
  • Options

I’m immune suppressed somewhat, I take Adalimumab. I wonder if I should be worried. I never really get colds or anything like that though.

Paradoxically it may even be beneficial by dampening down the excessive immune response.
  • Options

eadric said:

America is crocked

You'll probably get tele-evangalists saying it's been sent by God to purify the gene pool.
    I think Trump should deliberately expose himself to the coronavirus to prove just how much God is looking after his main man.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Oh god, poor you..

Thank you.

I am hoping that containment measures will keep outbreaks under control, and that it doesn't kick off in a big way other than economically (which will bounce back quickly after the peak).

I am not a particularly brave sort, and not so much in the front line as some others, but will not shirk when duty calls. I signed up for this 3 decades ago, and have had a good career.
    As a random fact, the AVERAGE age of the first 11 deaths in Italy was above 80. I think it has dipped just below since. Indeed, the local health authorities are expecting a somewhat higher case fatality than in China because of Italy's demographics.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Eadric incoming in 3...2...1

Coronavirus cases jump to 400 in Italy
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51645902
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Oh god, poor you..

Thank you.

As a random fact, the AVERAGE age of the first 11 deaths in Italy was above 80. I think it has dipped just below since. Indeed, the local health authorities are expecting a somewhat higher case fatality than in China because of Italy's demographics.
    I don't think Chinas age demographics are very different now to our own.

It is early days in Italy though, and quite a few on ICU.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,163
    HYUFD said:
    If America wanted a monarch, they would never have declared independence.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The governor of Lombardy is in quarantine.
  • Options
    eadric said:

ydoethur said:

My theory that it comes for politicians, ESPECIALLY (old, male, sociable, handshakers and baby kissers) is looking good.
    So you do see some positives in it, then?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles you are upper middle class. Keir Starmer isn't.
    You’re right. QC MP PC xDPP makes him upper class
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

eadric said:

America is crocked

I think Trump should deliberately expose himself to the coronavirus to prove just how much God is looking after his main man.
    Not sure even coronavirus could survive Trump deliberately exposing himself tbh.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles is upper class born and bred never mind upper middle class
    Solidly middle class I’m afraid, sorry to disappoint
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Remoteness didn’t help during the Black Death
  • Options

eadric said:

America is crocked

Not sure even coronavirus could survive Trump deliberately exposing himself tbh.
    Depends on whether it had a microscope handy?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I see that plod is warning attendees to Greta's forthcoming Bristol climate strike rally that they are at risk of "slips, trips, falls and crushing".

60,000 attended a rally of hers in Stuttgart.

There is a touch of the Maid of Orleans about the whole thing.

I thought she had mild Aspergers not schizophrenia?
  • Options

BigRich said:

31% of members think RBL is the answer to the shellacking Lab just got?

Jeez. Starmer has his work cut out.

I hope Starmer stands for stamina.

Assuming Starmer wins, what will all the Corbyn fans that joined while he was leader do?

1) Leave and set up new party.

2) Leave and get disinterested in Politics

3) Stay members paying the £4 a month but not do anything for the party.

4) Stay but continually campaign within the party for a return to a Corbyn like leader, in a never-eding civil war.

5) stay and campaign for the party as viscerally as they did before?

Clearly each is an individual and some will try each of the above, but what do we think most will do? given its potentially 100,000 plus people we are talking about it could make a difference to how successful labour are.
    Most of the Corbynites I know (like myself) are philosophical about it - we lost, we accept it's time to try someone new, and we hope they won't swing violently right. Unless Starmer goes out of his way to attack them, I think most will stick around and see how it goes. They certainly won't start a new party in any number.
    Admit it Nick - you’re a trimmer
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Since nobody is asking -

Charles is 17 on the Class Test and Starmer is 13.

That's where 18 is max upper and 6 is salt of.
    Class test?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Yes, it did. Read The Decameron!
    I'm guessing that during the Black Death, the total population of England was less than the modern population of Wuhan?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    HYUFD said:
    That seems like an effective add, at this stage,

If this does drag on and Bloomberg spends hundreds of millions on such adds, but Sanders wins the Dem Nomination anyway, it will be very hard if not impossible for him to win in November.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,584

ydoethur said:

Trip advisor travel forums are awash with Americans cancelling Italy trips, as well as a few Brits and others. A big hit to the tourist trade there.
  • Options

eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

I'm guessing that during the Black Death, the total population of England was less than the modern population of Wuhan?
    Estimated at about 3-4 million before hand, and 40-50% mortality. That’s without checking John Hatcher (which is at school).
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Always makes me laugh me how the upper classes pretend to be middle class. :wink:
    You have to wonder who they think really is upper class?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    If America wanted a monarch, they would never have declared independence.
    They have an elected monarch
  • Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Always makes me laugh me how the upper classes pretend to be middle class. :wink:
    Or when the upper middle classes pretend to be working class?

I've always considered people with a title as upper class.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Way less.

The point is good. If you could REALLY self isolate during the Black Death, before you were infected, it did give you some protection. I think.
    Clearly, if you "REALLY self isolate" before you are infected, you're not going to get infected. But you might have to self-isolate forever.

(EDIT: Though on reflection, with the Black Death you'd have needed to self isolate from rats and fleas IIRC.)
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

How many average middle class people went to Eton and Oxford, live in a posh part of central London, have family estates and know half the royal family as you do? Upper landed gentry with trade added on rather than a Dukedom is about as close as you get to middle class
  • Options
    eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

My Italian is limited I’m afraid
  • Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I work for a living and my family lives in a flat over the shop. Does that make us working class?
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Being upper class is determined by birthrate, you can work your way up to the upper middle class as Starmer has but you can never truly be upper class unless born into it
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Yep. That's exactly how the British class system works.
  • Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

If the title predates Lloyd George yes. Otherwise it makes them middle class
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Estimated at about 3-4 million before hand, and 40-50% mortality. That’s without checking John Hatcher (which is at school).
    Black Death had an 80% mortality rate on some estimates, made coronavirus looked like a slight winter sniffle
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

How many average middle class people went to Eton and Oxford, live in a posh part of central London, have family estates and know half the royal family as you do? Upper landed gentry with trade added on rather than a Dukedom is about as close as you get to middle class
    Shopkeepers made good would be more accurate
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Way less.

The point is good. If you could REALLY self isolate during the Black Death, before you were infected, it did give you some protection. I think.
    Looks like you should move up the road to the Vale of Health.
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

You are about as much a shopkeeper as Mohammed Al Fayed
  • Options
    Just got back from a week in Colorado, which is a Super Tuesday state. Saw adverts as follows:

Bloomberg (2 different ones)
    Warren
    Sanders

My impressions from what I have seen on US TV is as follows:

- Warren is viscerally offended by Bloomberg's presence in the race.
    - I can't see the democrats voting for a billionaire and Bloomberg is pretty uninspiring
    - Sanders is far more like Corbyn than Boris is like Trump. I can see things going the same way as for Labour if he gets the nomination
    - There's a bit of snark going on between Buttegieg and Klobuchar

It feels like it might go to the convention unless the DNC can lean on one or more of the moderates to drop out
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

You are about as much a shopkeeper as Mohammed Al Fayed
    I’m not - I work for a bank - but my brother works in the family shop.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Black Death had an 80% mortality rate on some estimates, made coronavirus looked like a slight winter sniffle
    Never seen that high an estimate, although it varied somewhat by area (London had a higher mortality rate than Penkridge). What’s your source for it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    edited February 2020
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I thought class was determined by distance from Lords cricket ground, with an exception for Sir Paul McCartney, who will always be a toerag.
  • Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Or when former public schoolboys pretend to be working class?

:innocent:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

You can be very well off and middle class - virtually all americans with money for instance come into this category. But when the money is older than the old lady of Threadneedle :D
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Why do people of class have none?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:
    That seems like an effective add, at this stage,

If this does drag on and Bloomberg spends hundreds of millions on such adds, but Sanders wins the Dem Nomination anyway, it will be very hard if not impossible for him to win in November.
    Adverts or no adverts, it will be very hard for Sanders to win in November.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eadric said:

America is crocked

https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1232733193175998464?s=19
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I thought class was determined by distance from Lords cricket ground, with an exception for Sir Paul McCartney, who will always be a toerag.
    Neighbour of an Astor.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    eadric said:

God, I bloody love Osea island. The silence and darkness is intense. 90 minutes from London.

And the bird life is insistent. When you drive along the Roman causeway at dusk, the white birds flee the car lights, like tiny frightened ghosts. And then the shadows thicken.

OOOOOOhhhhyeah

You hired the whole thing?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Never seen that high an estimate, although it varied somewhat by area (London had a higher mortality rate than Penkridge). What’s your source for it?
    Certainly some medieval villages hit an 80% death rate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/middle_ages/black_01.shtml
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,617
    ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

I always thought it was 40-45%, but I've heard recently that's based on records of deaths of the clergy and there's reason to think they might have suffered a higher mortality rate. Other records suggest a mortality rate of 20-30% for the general population.

I have a sentimental attachment to the 40-45% range because the probability of rolling 6 or less on two D6 is 41.7%, which you can use to simulate the effect of the Black Death on your nearest and dearest. Which is what I had my daughter do when she was eight.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Voted. Weird confusing website. You have to drag and order candidates. Now waiting for my second vote.

I have not had any ballots through. I have a horroible feeling it is something to do with an article I posted on here a couple of years back, which led to an official complaint being made against me by someone whose identity I never discovered. When I left the party I assumed that it would all be dropped, but maybe it was just sitting on file waiting for me to come back!!

I think I'd defend that if you were actually suspended while they looked into it. Say you were alleged to be a mad anti-semite, and were suspended while it was checked out. It wouldn't make sense if you could simply resign and then rejoin as a fresh new member - they would need to have a look to see if you were a known suspendee.

I'd be all in favour of clearing you (and Al) now though.

I have no problem with being investigated - as long as I know it’s happening! I am confident I can make my case, but I need the chance to.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

BigRich said:

Assuming Starmer wins, what will all the Corbyn fans that joined while he was leader do?

4) Stay but continually campaign within the party for a return to a Corbyn like leader, in a never-eding civil war.

Clearly each is an individual and some will try each of the above, but what do we think most will do? given its potentially 100,000 plus people we are talking about it could make a difference to how successful labour are.
    Most of the Corbynites I know (like myself) are philosophical about it - we lost, we accept it's time to try someone new, and we hope they won't swing violently right. Unless Starmer goes out of his way to attack them, I think most will stick around and see how it goes. They certainly won't start a new party in any number.
    I still cannot quite understand how the Corbynites added anything other than to herald in possibly 10 years of rampant neoliberalism through their pathetic grandiose posturing of nonsense gesture politicking.,..seriously I hope all the Corbynites fuck off and disappear into some swamp somewhere....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Voted. Weird confusing website. You have to drag and order candidates. Now waiting for my second vote.

I have not had any ballots through. I have a horroible feeling it is something to do with an article I posted on here a couple of years back, which led to an official complaint being made against me by someone whose identity I never discovered. When I left the party I assumed that it would all be dropped, but maybe it was just sitting on file waiting for me to come back!!

I think I'd defend that if you were actually suspended while they looked into it. Say you were alleged to be a mad anti-semite, and were suspended while it was checked out. It wouldn't make sense if you could simply resign and then rejoin as a fresh new member - they would need to have a look to see if you were a known suspendee.

I have no problem with being investigated - as long as I know it’s happening! I am confident I can make my case, but I need the chance to.

Positively Kafka-esque.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I work for a living and my family lives in a flat over the shop. Does that make us working class?
    No. Even the Queen works for a living.

Anybody who was privately educated is upper class, end of.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Never again.

Oh god, poor you..

Thank you.

I don't think Chinas age demographics are very different now to our own.

It is early days in Italy though, and quite a few on ICU.
    Yes, I wondered that. Might be a locality specific thing as well - Wuhan city vs wine growing villages in winter.

Thinking back, and my memory is hazy, I may even have once, many years ago, got completely blotto at the wine harvest festival in Codogno within the current exclusion zone (as you would) - it was certainly very, very close to that area.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

God, I bloody love Osea island. The silence and darkness is intense. 90 minutes from London.

And the bird life is insistent. When you drive along the Roman causeway at dusk, the white birds flee the car lights, like tiny frightened ghosts. And then the shadows thicken.

OOOOOOhhhhyeah

In late February I appear to be the only guest here. I am certainly the only person in the nine bedroom “Captain’s House”. There must be other people on the island (a few workers live here full time) but they are invisible.

It is a deliciously eerie feeling.
    A bloody good place to ride out COVID-19. Shoot any potentially snotty bastard that ventures on the causeway....

Now there's a novel.
  • Options
    eadric said:

ydoethur said:

My theory that it comes for politicians, ESPECIALLY (old, male, sociable, handshakers and baby kissers) is looking good.
    The Presidential election might come down to Pence vs whoever Sanders picks for VP on his ticket.

I did idly wonder what would happen if he picked Warren and they both succumbed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,584

Jonathan said:

Doesn’t sound like an organisation I’d want to be part of.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

I can’t argue against grammar schools. I went to one and it was very good for me. The issue is what happens to the 75% or so of kids who don’t get in. There is also a fairness issue. I did not initially get into my school, even though I passed my 11+ and was literally the closest child to it. The second closest applicant didn’t get in either. My Dad fixed lifts, his Dad was a taxi driver. Kids who lived further away, with parents in the professions were accepted, though. We both ended up going because others dropped out and went private instead. That was the 70s, and I doubt things would be as blatant now, but bias is always an issue when there is selection.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,248

ydoethur said:
    It’s remarkable why this rule is so hard for some motorists to understand.
    Who cares? There are more important things in life, yet this seems to wind up the leather glove brigade.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

No. Even the Queen works for a living.

Anybody who was privately educated is upper class, end of.
    Seant- one of his wisest bits of advice to me was that a person needs to work....

Sean was right.....I returned back to work because I needed something to get me through the week...it can be a long time....I get paid a quarter of what I use to earn, maybe less...and I seriously do not need any more money, wealth, capital...I'm trying to divest myself of assets...but work can be fun

• Options
    tyson said:

BigRich said:

I still cannot quite understand how the Corbynites added anything other than to herald in possibly 10 years of rampant neoliberalism through their pathetic grandiose posturing of nonsense gesture politicking.,..seriously I hope all the Corbynites fuck off and disappear into some swamp somewhere....
    Osborne was a neoliberal, Boris is not, even Blair was more neoliberal than Boris
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

BigRich said:

Osborne was a neoliberal, Boris is not, even Blair was more neoliberal than Boris

Boris is a rampant neoliberal clothed in a false Keynesian fleece....
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

BigRich said:

He isn't, he is now spending more than Blair and borrowing to pay for it
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8036023/Boris-Johnson-spend-Tony-Blair-Chancellors-Budget-pushes-figure-1trillion.html
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,248

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Not even in jest

It's coming home
    It's coming home
    It's coming
    Football's coming home

Liver bird on a shirt
    Old big ears still gleaming
    Thirty years of hurt
    Never stopped me dreaming
    Are you from Liverpool or - like the majority of PB Reds - nothing to do with Merseyside whatsoever?
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

OOOOOOhhhhyeah

In late February I appear to be the only guest here. I am certainly the only person in the nine bedroom “Captain’s House”. There must be other people on the island (a few workers live here full time) but they are invisible.

A bloody good place to ride out COVID-19. Shoot any potentially snotty bastard that ventures on the causeway....

Now there's a novel.
    Or maybe an island in Poole Harbour. Or one of the tinier Scilly Isles.

But for full-on Gothic atmospherics, Osea is almost impossible to beat. The Battle of Maldon took place here (and on the neighbouring isle) - the skulls of Saxon warriors sleep beneath the shingle.

The oyster beds are Roman. The villa was used for rehabbing Amy Winehouse. There are five species of owl.
    Probably had a Snowy Owl too out there, over the years.

A crazy amphibian soundtrack too, at this time of the year.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

isam said:

Charles said:

I can’t argue against grammar schools. I went to one and it was very good for me. The issue is what happens to the 75% or so of kids who don’t get in. There is also a fairness issue. I did not initially get into my school, even though I passed my 11+ and was literally the closest child to it. The second closest applicant didn’t get in either. My Dad fixed lifts, his Dad was a taxi driver. Kids who lived further away, with parents in the professions were accepted, though. We both ended up going because others dropped out and went private instead. That was the 70s, and I doubt things would be as blatant now, but bias is always an issue when there is selection.

The other kids, who don’t get in, go to the kind of schools we have now. Comprehensive school teachers are all supposedly of similar ability, so it shouldn’t make much difference. I’d say the most beneficial effect of a Grammar is to be in an environment where academic ability isn’t seen as something to be ashamed of.

When I was thinking of being a Kipper candidate, my policy suggestion was to turn the school in the worst part of each constituency into a Grammar to put house prices up as well as give poor kids a better chance
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

BigRich said:

He isn't, he is now spending more than Blair and borrowing to pay for it
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8036023/Boris-Johnson-spend-Tony-Blair-Chancellors-Budget-pushes-figure-1trillion.html
    One of the great eccentricities of UK politics is how the right wing gloat in bathing in lefty policies (Cameron and civil partnerships), but as soon as a lefty ventures into righty territory (ie Blair with Iraq) they get absolutely fucking hammered....
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I see Grant Shapps is on Peston, apparently one of the lots up at the £1000 a ticket Tories Black and White Ball last night was to fly in a Lancaster Bomber with Shapps
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/brexit-day-coins-sell-for-c2-a360k-at-tory-black-and-white-ball/ar-BB10q8mx
  • Options

ydoethur said:
    It’s remarkable why this rule is so hard for some motorists to understand.
    Who cares? There are more important things in life, yet this seems to wind up the leather glove brigade.
    It's a sign that the driver responsible isn't paying enough attention to be safe enough on the road and it's so easy to get right, quite apart from the inherent rudeness of it.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

OOOOOOhhhhyeah

Now there's a novel.
    Or maybe an island in Poole Harbour. Or one of the tinier Scilly Isles.

But for full-on Gothic atmospherics, Osea is almost impossible to beat. The Battle of Maldon took place here (and on the neighbouring isle) - the skulls of Saxon warriors sleep beneath the shingle.

The oyster beds are Roman. The villa was used for rehabbing Amy Winehouse. There are five species of owl.
    My girlfriends mates parents live in nearby Mersea... they’re from Hong Kong, they are going back for a family funeral next week... and I’m scared of the kids playing together in the near future!
This discussion has been closed.