Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for Bernie to feel the heat over threatening Obama’s

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Look I'm not a Patel supporter, my only point is it could happen. If Johnson is seen to be a trimmer, a backslider or a 'betrayer' and loses his way, then attention could fall on a high profile 'full fat' alternative. Someone who is 'one of us'. And Patel is all of that.

I'm not saying it can't happen but if it did, she would be the first PM in living memory with an IQ in double digits. This would be a serious handicap in carrying out the job to an acceptable standard.
    What is it about the ethnic minority MP with both a degree and a postgraduate degree and a career outside Westminster with companies like Diageo that makes you think she is stupid?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

kinabalu said:

Look I'm not a Patel supporter, my only point is it could happen. If Johnson is seen to be a trimmer, a backslider or a 'betrayer' and loses his way, then attention could fall on a high profile 'full fat' alternative. Someone who is 'one of us'. And Patel is all of that.

I'm not saying it can't happen but if it did, she would be the first PM in living memory with an IQ in double digits. This would be a serious handicap in carrying out the job to an acceptable standard.
    What is it about the ethnic minority MP with both a degree and a postgraduate degree and a career outside Westminster with companies like Diageo that makes you think she is stupid?
    To be fair, Richard Burgon went to Cambridge.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    kinabalu said:

You just say it was a youthful indiscretion.

I fail to see why it’s anyone’s business though.

Have you ever dropped your trousers at a private gathering?
    Hasn't everyone. How private depends on your tastes.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

You've obviously not been to the right sort of private gathering.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,867
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

She is far from stupid. She is of slightly below average intelligence. This does make her relatively stupid for her position - since most cabinet ministers are of well above average intelligence - but being confident and driven and hard-working and of a robust nature more than compensates. Nevertheless it is clear that she is beyond her limits at Home Secretary, therefore the notion of her as PM is not a particularly welcome one.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

And in any case, you can irrumate a pig and still be a Tory PM
  • Options

kinabalu said:

And in any case, you can irrumate a pig and still be a Tory PM
    Fake News.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020

So what's the betting that more in the Iranian government have got it?

Well that didn't take long. MP for Tehran says he has it.

https://twitter.com/mah_sadeghi/status/1232290661174587392
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,196
    wtf is this storm in a Yorkshire teacup?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

I'm now very long Biden (And Warren and Klob; neutral Sanders). Here's the theory behind the position

All the signs are, Sanders is going to be hammered in tonight's debate. Negative headlines followed by a win for Biden in South Carolina, hopefully that'll push Biden in and Sanders out where I'll re-equalise them.

The markets are primed to over react to North Carolina. I too have gone long Biden and Warren for exactly this reason.

I am digging a bigger and bigger Bloomberg hole as I do so.

One thing I'm only just picking up on though - does Warren have an African America problem? I haven't really paid much attention to demographic breakdowns but if Warren is not connecting with Black people she is totally dead and my long is a total bust.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Frightful snobbery - is it because she went to a non Oxbridge Uni or another sort of bigotry ?

Nonsense and not at all. It's my expert assessment based on the evidence of her audible outputs over the years.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,938
    HYUFD said:
    We have the Data Protection Act (2018) which effectively has brought much of the GDPR regulations into UK law - I don't recall a mass Conservative revolt about any of that and the Act received Royal Assent on 23/5/18.

Under the terms of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act, the remaining GDPR regulations became part of UK law on the UK leaving the EU.

Carswell and Hannan doesn't seem to realise the stable door is swinging in the breeze and the horse is halfway up the hill.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

She is far from stupid. She is of slightly below average intelligence
    You think her IQ is 99 or lower?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

That was definitely an admission mix-up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Brexiteers turn against GDPR, despite the fact it is now UK law via DPA 2018

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1232065345554460676?s=20

Hello, I have a PhD in computing science. I have no clue what point 10 is supposed to mean.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

And your point is?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Err... getting herself fired for running her own Foreign Policy? Threatening to starve the Irish over Brexit? Some of her comments on QT and other TV appearances.

She does not exactly dazzle the audience with her brilliance.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited February 2020

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

And your point is?
    It doesn't guarantee that someone is especially intelligent.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,196

kinabalu said:

She is far from stupid. She is of slightly below average intelligence
    It's pretty tedious, saying people are morons or of low IQ. kinabalu isn't the only or most prolific offender.

• Options

Somewhere in the 90s, yes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

And your point is?
    He can row a boat?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,188
    kinabalu said:

She is far from stupid. She is of slightly below average intelligence. This does make her relatively stupid for her position - since most cabinet ministers are of well above average intelligence - but being confident and driven and hard-working and of a robust nature more than compensates. Nevertheless it is clear that she is beyond her limits at Home Secretary, therefore the notion of her as PM is not a particularly welcome one.
    I'm pretty sure she's of above average intelligence.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Hello, I have a PhD in computing science. I have no clue what point 10 is supposed to mean.
    I seem to recall that USA tech companies are signing up to GDPR as a good standard.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

The CCPA is a California law. Even the USA is discovering that without CCPA and GDPR type laws, many companies abuse personal data.

All the GDPR says is that data about me is mine and companies have to manage my data like any other asset of mine that they have access to.

As for your Point 10, I think what he is trying to say is that if our personal data is abused it is our fault for not looking after it and disclosing it in the first place.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kinabalu said:

This does make her relatively stupid for her position - since most cabinet ministers are of well above average intelligence - but being confident and driven and hard-working and of a robust nature more than compensates.

It would be interesting to see the evidence that "most cabinet ministers are of well above average intelligence."

How do you get to be an MP and then get into the Cabinet?

Party loyalty and the ability to network are obviously much more important than intelligence, independence of thinking & intellectual curiosity. In fact, the latter are hindrances rather than helps.

So, I suspect the reverse is true. If a sample of 200 Cabinet ministers (cross-parties) are compared to a random sample of 200 people, then the decrement will be in the Cabinet sample.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

I assume he means GDPR gets in the way of other more effective protection and consumer control by being overly bureaucratic. Actually that's the best point he makes. The list is nonsense.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

I am pretty sure that, from the shoulders up, she is one of the more attractive MPs that make certain Tories tumescent to the point they will forgive her anything. Their lower brain is in control :D:D:D
  • Options
    Mrs C, the solo foreign policy alone should've been enough to bar her from office.

But then, the PM isn't fit to be in Cabinet.

And yet they were still far better than the Opposition.

O tempora! O mores!
  • Options

It would be interesting to see the evidence that "most cabinet ministers are of well above average intelligence."

Party loyalty and the ability to network are obviously much more important than intelligence, independence of thinking & intellectual curiosity. In fact, the latter are hindrances rather than helps.

So, I suspect the reverse is true. If a sample of 200 Cabinet ministers (cross-parties) are compared to a random sample of 200 people, then the decrement will be in the Cabinet sample.

No way. If we could arrange that test I would bet you as much as you like that the Cabinet 200 would beat the Random 200 hands down.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

This does make her relatively stupid for her position - since most cabinet ministers are of well above average intelligence - but being confident and driven and hard-working and of a robust nature more than compensates.

:+1:
    Anybody with brains stays out of politics
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,188
    HYUFD said:
    I agree with this move provided people are always reminded of their right to opt out.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2020

Mrs C, the solo foreign policy alone should've been enough to bar her from office.

But then, the PM isn't fit to be in Cabinet.

And yet they were still far better than the Opposition.

O tempora! O mores!

Indeed Mr Dancer

BTW, you really should try using that "Quote" thingy under people's posts. It does not bite. Honest ;)
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

Frightful snobbery - is it because she went to a non Oxbridge Uni or another sort of bigotry ?

Nonsense and not at all. It's my expert assessment based on the evidence of her audible outputs over the years.
    Ah so it’s because she’s a Conservative.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

12 dead @2% = at least 600 infected, probably multiple times that because there will be many, as in China neither cured or dead. Iran are not even finding 10% of those infected right now.
    Take a look at the number of cases outside China on the logarithmic scale. (Scroll down and click on logarithmic.)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

You'll see that is basically a straight line. That means the growth is exponential. It is growing an order of magnitude every 20 days.

18 Feb 1,000
    10 Mar 10,000
    30 Mar 100,000
    19 Apr 1,000,000
    9 May 10,000,000
    29 May 100,000,000
    18 Jun 1,000,000,000
    6 Jul everyone

But this won't happen for a variety of reasons. It is worth watching this chart to see when the straight line begins to deviate in a clockwise direction. That will mean that the exponential growth is slowing down.
    The graph of death rate on that site appears to be levelling out at well above 2%.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,248

CatMan said:

Pity the poor Priti Patel
    twitter.com/Simon_Nixon/status/1232202926329909248?s=19

The civil service should be careful not to overplay their hand. In Patel they may be unwittingly creating a rival to Johnson down the line.
    What? You mean another vacuous, policy-free politician who plays to the popular audience whilst Rome burns?
    I suspect Patel would play to the 'popular audience' even more than the current PM. Quite a bit more, actually.
    Maybe she could provide the "creative destruction" so craved by the madder "advisors" clustering around Johnson? I suspect that after those two clowns, the UK would unrecognisable from its current (or former) self.

I am not saying Patel cannot take over from Johnson. She could do so.

I am saying it would be a disaster for the country.
    The Tory fanboy right wingers on here will love her though, will be having wet dreams about her being PM and deporting all and sundry whilst locking up the remainder of the non Tories etc.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Has anybody not.
  • Options
    Privacy enhancing innovation

Just a splendidly nonsense phrase.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No way. If we could arrange that test I would bet you as much as you like that the Cabinet 200 would beat the Random 200 hands down.
    Above average but not necessarily well above. People forget the bump at the bottom owing to head injuries and the like. It depends what "well" means.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    edited February 2020

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

I seem to recall that USA tech companies are signing up to GDPR as a good standard.
    Bannerman and Carswell are both talking bollocks, and seem to be unaware that much of this privacy and data protection law predates the GDPR, some of it goes back to the 1980s. Obviously companies were "against" it, they'd be against anything that costs them to implement, but that doesn't mean that data and privacy protection are a bad idea.

Given that internet services operate globally there's little to no advantage in a race to the bottom, as any UK internet service would have to comply with the GDPR to serve the EU, and whatever the US finally adopts as well. It's effectively no different from an international techincal standard, you implement the standard and deviate from it at your peril. Brexiteers who think leaving the EU means we should do everything differently are morons.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Possibly, by a smidgen. But I still think just slightly below is more likely. I'm happy to go with bang on average. That won't be far wrong either way. She's not very bright but she's no moron.
  • Options
    Mrs C, I'd love to, but unfortunately a Mayan prophecy indicates the world will be destroyed by the dreaded Galactic Scorpion of Doom if I ever use quotes.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    FF43 said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

I assume he means GDPR gets in the way of other more effective protection and consumer control by being overly bureaucratic. Actually that's the best point he makes. The list is nonsense.
    I think it's unavoidably bueracratic, if you don't mandate standards and police them companies will do their own thing and in most cases make a hash of it. Sometimes it really is better to say this is good practice, now do it or else.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    glw said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Bannerman and Carswell are both talking bollocks, and seem to be unaware that much of this privacy and data protection law predates the GDPR, some of it goes back to the 1980s. Obviously companies were "against" it, they'd be against anything that costs them to implement, but that doesn't mean that data and privacy protection are a bad idea.

Given that internet services operate globally there's little to no advantage in a race to the bottom, as any UK internet service would have to comply with the GDPR to serve the EU, and whatever the US finally adopts as well. It's effectively no different from an international techincal standard, you implement the standard and deviate from it at your peril. Brexiteers who think leaving the EU means we should do everything differently are morons.
    Yup. Bit difficult to do all that fancy Data Science, AI etc stuff without the data.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

The CCPA is a California law. Even the USA is discovering that without CCPA and GDPR type laws, many companies abuse personal data.

All the GDPR says is that data about me is mine and companies have to manage my data like any other asset of mine that they have access to.

As for your Point 10, I think what he is trying to say is that if our personal data is abused it is our fault for not looking after it and disclosing it in the first place.
    Isn't Carswell a Libertarian of sorts ?
    A philosophy that says the powerful should be free to prey on the weak unhindered by state interference.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

12 dead @2% = at least 600 infected, probably multiple times that because there will be many, as in China neither cured or dead. Iran are not even finding 10% of those infected right now.
    Take a look at the number of cases outside China on the logarithmic scale. (Scroll down and click on logarithmic.)

You'll see that is basically a straight line. That means the growth is exponential. It is growing an order of magnitude every 20 days.

18 Feb 1,000
    10 Mar 10,000
    30 Mar 100,000
    19 Apr 1,000,000
    9 May 10,000,000
    29 May 100,000,000
    18 Jun 1,000,000,000
    6 Jul everyone

But this won't happen for a variety of reasons. It is worth watching this chart to see when the straight line begins to deviate in a clockwise direction. That will mean that the exponential growth is slowing down.
    The graph of death rate on that site appears to be levelling out at well above 2%.
    Does the virus do maths?
  • Options

Mrs C, I'd love to, but unfortunately a Mayan prophecy indicates the world will be destroyed by the dreaded Galactic Scorpion of Doom if I ever use quotes.

And you're not even tempted ??
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

CatMan said:

The civil service should be careful not to overplay their hand. In Patel they may be unwittingly creating a rival to Johnson down the line.
    What? You mean another vacuous, policy-free politician who plays to the popular audience whilst Rome burns?
    I suspect Patel would play to the 'popular audience' even more than the current PM. Quite a bit more, actually.
    Maybe she could provide the "creative destruction" so craved by the madder "advisors" clustering around Johnson? I suspect that after those two clowns, the UK would unrecognisable from its current (or former) self.

The Tory fanboy right wingers on here will love her though, will be having wet dreams about her being PM and deporting all and sundry whilst locking up the remainder of the non Tories etc.
    I am not a fan of Priti Patel and shudder at the thought of her being PM. She is too right wing for me and her immigration proposals will need amending in several areas
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    geoffw said:

It's pretty tedious, saying people are morons or of low IQ. kinabalu isn't the only or most prolific offender.

No, I rarely venture into this area. However people were discussing Patel's PM prospects and in that context her relative lack of grey matter (which is undeniable) is IMO relevant.

As compared to, for example, the gratuitous Burgon and Abbott abuse that one often encounters.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    I agree with this move provided people are always reminded of their right to opt out.
    It is already law in Wales
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

I was just beginning to admire your restraint and then you tell us it was Hobson's choice
  • Options
    glw said:

FF43 said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

I think it's unavoidably bueracratic, if you don't mandate standards and police them companies will do their own thing and in most cases make a hash of it. Sometimes it really is better to say this is good practice, now do it or else.
    I think GDPR is more bureaucratic (although not necessarily more intrusive) than it needs be. The question though is whether the UK should sign up. Of course it should, for the reasons you have given on this thread.
  • Options
    Mr. Ego, admire away :D

Mr. B, Morris Dancer is a colossus of self-discipline.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,032

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    Personally, I am not keen on nationalising the dead* as state assets.

*though I believe that the deceased legally belong to the Coroner until released to the family for funeral.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CatMan said:

I am not a fan of Priti Patel and shudder at the thought of her being PM. She is too right wing for me and her immigration proposals will need amending in several areas
    Her immigration proposals (non-EU) are far more liberal than anything we ever had under either May or Cameron.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kinabalu said:

Somewhere in the 90s, yes.
    I would suggest IQ in the range of 100 - 110. Ditto Dawn Butler.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

geoffw said:

No, I rarely venture into this area. However people were discussing Patel's PM prospects and in that context her relative lack of grey matter (which is undeniable) is IMO relevant.

As compared to, for example, the gratuitous Burgon and Abbott abuse that one often encounters.
    What evidence do you have for a lack of grey matter.

I don't just find it undeniable, I outright deny it. She strikes me as very intelligent.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Oddly enough, it's not the immigration policy per se with which I have a problem - treating all prospective migrants equally from wherever they originate seems inherently reasonable - but her comments on the "economically inactive" which have really grated with me.

There are those who can't work, those who no longer want to work so if you want to do something to help those who do want to contribute, put some policies in place to make it easier for carers to find work and also support those with significant disabilities (the figures for unemployment among blind and partially sighted people are appalling).

If you want to "level up", encourage companies to provide work for carers and for those with disabilities, Make it easier for these groups and others to get into the workplace and stay in the workplace. That's the real challenge rather than migration.
  • Options

I would like to see the Scorpion of Doom Mr Dancer. Please use the button :D
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Has anybody not.
    I often do not wear any trousers at all at meetings. Just saying...... ;)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

I would think so too in terms of the general population - but below the level normally expected of someone in her position.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    I will opt out of this.
  • Options
    Mrs C, that's the Galactic Scorpion of Doom.

He didn't go to Interstellar Extradimensional Doom University to have his title truncated.
  • Options
    I am amused by people who were perfectly happy to hear Cameron and May attack immigration and hear them talk about how we need to get immigration down to the tens of thousands . . .

. . . are utterly appalled at Johnson and Patel for treating migrants fairly and equitably, abolishing the tens of thousand target and slashing the income required in order to be able to migrate here making it easier than it used to be for non-EU migrants.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

18 Feb 1,000
    10 Mar 10,000
    30 Mar 100,000
    19 Apr 1,000,000
    9 May 10,000,000
    29 May 100,000,000
    18 Jun 1,000,000,000
    6 Jul everyone

For most epidemics, the curve for the total number of people infected is a sigmoid curve. This starts off as exponential growth, becomes linear, then the number of new cases drops off asymptotically approaching a maximim.

It is clear that COVID 19 cases outside of china are in the exponential phase at the moment. The good news is it will start to level off, the bad news is, at this stage it is very difficult to estimate when and where the tail-off occurs.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

18 Feb 1,000
    10 Mar 10,000
    30 Mar 100,000
    19 Apr 1,000,000
    9 May 10,000,000
    29 May 100,000,000
    18 Jun 1,000,000,000
    6 Jul everyone

Now would be a good time but I fear that the number of cases is being determined more by the ability to test and the amount of testing being done than its actual prevalence.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I would think so too in terms of the general population - but below the level normally expected of someone in her position.

OK. I could just stretch to that. Bottom end of second quartile for the population as a whole. Bottom end of fourth quartile for a cabinet minister. And for a PM, a data point in her own right. A genuine outlier.
  • Options

I am amused by people who were perfectly happy to hear Cameron and May attack immigration and hear them talk about how we need to get immigration down to the tens of thousands . . .

. . . are utterly appalled at Johnson and Patel for treating migrants fairly and equitably, abolishing the tens of thousand target and slashing the income required in order to be able to migrate here making it easier than it used to be for non-EU migrants.

I'm not sure those two sets of people are the same at all.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    isam said:
    The first thought that comes to my mind when I think of these structures is the smell of stale pee!
  • Options

I often do not wear any trousers at all at meetings. Just saying...... ;)

Ooo.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    kjh said:

isam said:
    The first thought that comes to my mind when I think of these structures is the smell of stale pee!
    Hello Mr Weller!

https://youtu.be/TMXNV4cKjK4

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

I'm thinking of anti-Johnson Conservatives on this site of which there are a fair few.

Personally I left the party when May became leader because I was repulsed by her ranting against immigrants while Cameron was PM. Hearing people who happily supported May and Cameron attack Johnson and Patel is bemusing to me.
  • Options

To play Devil's Advocate, the argument may not be about immigration per se but the lack of planning. If we knew we were going to take in x migrants in 2021, we could provide the housing and the infrastructural support to deal with x migrants.

It's one thing to oppose an open door policy on immigration but another to leave the door half-broken and swaying on its hinges and try to pretend there's a tough new policy on immigration.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

OK. I could just stretch to that. Bottom end of second quartile for the population as a whole. Bottom end of fourth quartile for a cabinet minister. And for a PM, a data point in her own right. A genuine outlier.
    I would say above average for population as a whole, above average for a cabinet minister and waits to be seen but would do better than at least 2 PMs of the last 13 years.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

I don't just find it undeniable, I outright deny it. She strikes me as very intelligent.

As I said down the thread, I base it on what I've heard from her over the years. There are umpteen clips I could dig out and post but I'm not minded to do so here and now. That "counter terrorism" car crash interview was a fairly good recent example, if you want to google it. I'm genuinely astonished that she strikes you as very intelligent. But if you tell me that she does, then OK I believe you. She is a person of limited intellect who to you is extremely intelligent.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

I would say above average for population as a whole, above average for a cabinet minister and waits to be seen but would do better than at least 2 PMs of the last 13 years.
    Priti would be an absolute star as Tory Leader. She would guarantee an opposition victory.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:
    Cheshire? Ski trip? Is the patient called Tarquin or Jemima?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Has anybody not.
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair, just think "complete bollox"
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I'm thinking of anti-Johnson Conservatives on this site of which there are a fair few.

Personally I left the party when May became leader because I was repulsed by her ranting against immigrants while Cameron was PM. Hearing people who happily supported May and Cameron attack Johnson and Patel is bemusing to me.
    Fair enough.
    I thought the Cameron target absurd and dishonest, and May was worse.
  • Options
    stodge said:

To play Devil's Advocate, the argument may not be about immigration per se but the lack of planning. If we knew we were going to take in x migrants in 2021, we could provide the housing and the infrastructural support to deal with x migrants.

It's one thing to oppose an open door policy on immigration but another to leave the door half-broken and swaying on its hinges and try to pretend there's a tough new policy on immigration.
    There's an argument to be made (I don't buy it, but I get it can be made) to say x and mean x. However Cameron and May said x and never once got close to x - so even that argument is moot!

Furthermore I've not once heard Johnson and Patel "pretend there's a tough new policy on immigration" - quite the opposite, all I hear them talk about is that it is controlled. It was Cameron and May who were banging on about being tough and banging on about tens of thousands while leaving the door completely open.

Nobody would reasonably deny that the Aussies and Canadians control migration - but they also have more migrants per capita than we do. I'd rather control quality than try and put off numbers.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I would suggest IQ in the range of 100 - 110. Ditto Dawn Butler.

Yes OK. That's a wrap.

See, I can compromise.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

An exceptionally nasty piece of work even by Tory standards.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

As I said down the thread, I base it on what I've heard from her over the years. There are umpteen clips I could dig out and post but I'm not minded to do so here and now. That "counter terrorism" car crash interview was a fairly good recent example, if you want to google it. I'm genuinely astonished that she strikes you as very intelligent. But if you tell me that she does, then OK I believe you. She is a person of limited intellect who to you is extremely intelligent.
    I went to see her speak during the Brexit referendum in Leicester. She was fairly well drilled, and spoke well but dealt poorly with questions even though it was an entirely (bar me!) pro Leave audience. The head of the East Midlands Chamber of Commerce out shone her.

She certainly is ambitious, and I would agree that her ugliness is on the inside, but not suitable for any position other than lobby fodder.
  • Options

+1

But I must ask you something in the light of your "Boris" history.

Would you swing behind her if - god forbid - she somehow gets there?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

What's she done in office that's exceptionally nasty?

* She's liberalised the elements of migration we controlled so that it is easier to get into this country.
    * She's abolished the tens of thousand target and trying to put off immigrants coming here.

Early days yet but that is two positives in my eyes.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

That is more than reason enough
  • Options
    isam said:
    Too late for the "Get Carter" car park in Gateshead. I have a coffee mug with a picture of it on the side.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

+1

But I must ask you something in the light of your "Boris" history.

Would you swing behind her if - god forbid - she somehow gets there?
    Getting a bit personal there I think
  • Options
    edited February 2020

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

What's she done in office that's exceptionally nasty?

* She's liberalised the elements of migration we controlled so that it is easier to get into this country.
    * She's abolished the tens of thousand target and trying to put off immigrants coming here.

Early days yet but that is two positives in my eyes.
    She is a Tory,
    she would deport her granny,
    she has a permanent smirk ,
    and did I say she is a Tory

PS: Her immigration policy will kill Scotland, it is the opposite of what we need.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596
    edited February 2020

malcolmg said:

CatMan said:

Oh Dear.

You'll start by threatening to resign if ever she gets the job.

Then there'll be a leadership election, she'll throw her hat into the ring, and you'll be scrabbling around trying to shift the problem onto some particular policy matter.

Then she'll become leader and we'll find you still a member of the party.

Within a month or two you'll turn into her biggest cheerleader. Because of course the thought of Starmer PM was so very terrible.

A few months later the particular policy will be heading for implementation and you'll be cheering it on.

We've been here before.
  • Options

Above average but not necessarily well above. People forget the bump at the bottom owing to head injuries and the like. It depends what "well" means.

OK, let's get numerical. I would instinctively say that the average IQ of a cabinet minister since the War is of the order 125. So top 5% of the population.

Course this cabinet (with Patel) is bringing that down a bit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

And your point is?
    So did TSE?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

18 Feb 1,000
    10 Mar 10,000
    30 Mar 100,000
    19 Apr 1,000,000
    9 May 10,000,000
    29 May 100,000,000
    18 Jun 1,000,000,000
    6 Jul everyone

When the outbreak is over, the mortality rate will be known (total deaths / total confirmed cases). During the outbreak this is harder because of the period between confirmation and death/survival. The mortality rate should be calculated as total deaths (today) / confirmed cases (T days before today, where T is the incubation period).

We have 2 problems. Firstly we don't have hard numbers on the number of confirmed cases because it is pretty clear that China is not using the same definition as everyone else and is keen to keep 'true' numbers down. Secondly we are not really sure what value to use for T (probably 14-21 days).

The best guess will be the people from the cruise ship as we have traceability. In a period of weeks we will get a final mortality rate - probably 4-9%, but will have to remember that the passenger profile may be older, sicker and more asian (higher risk ACE2 receptor count) than the general World population.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

Nope. I am not in the habit of disparaging the intellect of Conservative politicians.

Lots of very clever ones. But not the current Home Secretary. I sense you know this.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

OK, let's get numerical. I would instinctively say that the average IQ of a cabinet minister since the War is of the order 125. So top 5% of the population.

Course this cabinet (with Patel) is bringing that down a bit.
    You have to be joking , the amount of donkeys we had in Cameron;'s time would drop the average into single figures alone.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

She is a Tory,

PS: Her immigration policy will kill Scotland, it is the opposite of what we need.

So nothing then.

1 is a good thing.
    2 was her granny a serious criminal? She's only deporting criminals.
    3 is just appearances.
    4 is as I said earlier a good thing.

PS Scotland's not an independent country, your choice not mine. Why can't Scotland find migrants from within the large pool of migrants coming to this country, or from the rest of the UK? Maybe the SNP could consider using some of its devolved powers it already has to make Scotland a more attractive place to come and live.

Just an odd suggestion but Alaska as a cold and miserable place to live has lower taxes than the rest of the country to try and attract migrants. Has the SNP considered doing that? You could cut spending on something, lower taxes and attract people that way. Or do you only want to bitch and moan?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Latest confirmed case in Barcelona
  • Options

malcolmg said:

She is a Tory,

So nothing then.

1 is a good thing.
    2 was her granny a serious criminal? She's only deporting criminals.
    3 is just appearances.
    4 is as I said earlier a good thing.

PS Scotland's not an independent country, your choice not mine. Why can't Scotland find migrants from within the large pool of migrants coming to this country, or from the rest of the UK? Maybe the SNP could consider using some of its devolved powers it already has to make Scotland a more attractive place to come and live.

Just an odd suggestion but Alaska as a cold and miserable place to live has lower taxes than the rest of the country to try and attract migrants. Has the SNP considered doing that? You could cut spending on something, lower taxes and attract people that way. Or do you only want to bitch and moan?
    Thank F**k you are not anything to do with running the country, you have no clue what you are talking about and know even less about Scotland and the fact that 95% of the taxes are reserved to the cesspit at Westminster. FFS try and bone up on the basics before uttering drivel.
This discussion has been closed.