Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Corbyn backers still not persuaded that GE2019 was the to

13»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Sandpit said:

That's really worrying, to announce five deaths but no other reports or details of infections. Are there dozens infected in Iran, or did these people actually die of something else?

Here in the UAE there have been nine cases, 8 of which have now been discharged. All were Chinese or had flown back from China.

It seems l strain doesn't guarantee immunity to another."

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

The possibility of reinfection adds a whole new dimension.
    All this points (to me) to Coronavirus being massively more prevalent than we thought. And therefore that mortality rates are actually pretty low.
    Except that there is another possibility. People are dying of coronavirus everywhere... but the lack of test kits and knowledge means that these deaths are being written off as pneumonia, old age, the ague, the bloody Fluxe, etc

So the mortality rate might indeed be 2.3%, or even higher

It's being so cheery wot makes me so popular
    I don't think that follows. If it's really prevalent and people were dropping dead of Corona virus left, right and centre, don't you think we might notice a slight rise in the number of people in the obituaries column.
    Fair point. I do not have the expertise to answer that. Where is TimT?

Obvious question is, do we always do blood tests if some old person dies of pneumonia? Do they do this in India, China, Africa?

Death rates might have risen unnoticed, in old people, in poorer countries. That seems possible, but again I will defer to experts, if there are any.

The USA is starting lab testing of atypical pneumonia to assess prevalence.

https://twitter.com/AmeshAA/status/1229773194644664321?s=19
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

There's a new South Carolina poll out from Change Research:

Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
    Dreadful for my girl.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    edited February 2020

Not really. Those already here will not be subject to these new rules.

It is not retrospective

How many of them will have applied for "settled status" and how many will keep their heads down, dealing only in cash?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
    Dreadful for my girl.
    Klobuchurn?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

Universal credit will ensure if they are under 65 and capable of work they will have to do it

The voters may have chosen Bonking Brexit Boris over IRA loving Traitor Corbyn December 2019. But the voters are not the mugs you take them for.

We are not daft. The determination of the government not to measure success of their “historic” “ground breaking” immigration policy says all you need to know. There is no intention to make things better, just fool people into believing this will make things better. Unfortunately the government fails on this simple truth: everyone, from C4 news, to BBC, ITN, SKY, The Mail, The Sun, The Telegraph, everyone, will have an upward curve with a pointy thing half way up saying moment government introduced its points based immigration policy.

The retirement age is also being raised but we now have a Government and a Home Secretary in Priti Patel determined to control immigration in a way not seem since Thatcher's time, that is in large part what the Government won a majority for as part of delivering Brexit and it is now doing so
    Have you read the actual immigration proposals? @eadric posted the details the other day.
    Yes, they are out today.

Visas only for those earning over £25k a year, except for areas like nursing where those earning over £20k a year can receive them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51550421
    Pret A Manger on Picadilly is offering £13/hour.

If you work at Pret, you can get a visa.

The points system is "could you work at Pret on Picadilly?", "yes", "here you go..."

Now, I happen to think the government's proposal is an excellent one. (Although I'd prefer my health insurance based one, because it would raise valuable revenue for the government.)

But to claim with a serious face that these proposals are designed to control immigration is absurd. It's designed to allow the government to claim that they're controlling immigration.
    As Manager or Assistant Manager https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Pret-A-Manger/salaries
  • Options
    stodge said:

It is not retrospective

How many of them will have applied for "settled status" and how many will keep their heads down, dealing only in cash?
    I really am not qualified to answer that but some will I am sure
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

Universal credit will ensure if they are under 65 and capable of work they will have to do it

The voters may have chosen Bonking Brexit Boris over IRA loving Traitor Corbyn December 2019. But the voters are not the mugs you take them for.

We are not daft. The determination of the government not to measure success of their “historic” “ground breaking” immigration policy says all you need to know. There is no intention to make things better, just fool people into believing this will make things better. Unfortunately the government fails on this simple truth: everyone, from C4 news, to BBC, ITN, SKY, The Mail, The Sun, The Telegraph, everyone, will have an upward curve with a pointy thing half way up saying moment government introduced its points based immigration policy.

The retirement age is also being raised but we now have a Government and a Home Secretary in Priti Patel determined to control immigration in a way not seem since Thatcher's time, that is in large part what the Government won a majority for as part of delivering Brexit and it is now doing so
    Have you read the actual immigration proposals? @eadric posted the details the other day.
    Yes, they are out today.

Visas only for those earning over £25k a year, except for areas like nursing where those earning over £20k a year can receive them

The points system is "could you work at Pret on Picadilly?", "yes", "here you go..."

Now, I happen to think the government's proposal is an excellent one. (Although I'd prefer my health insurance based one, because it would raise valuable revenue for the government.)

But to claim with a serious face that these proposals are designed to control immigration is absurd. It's designed to allow the government to claim that they're controlling immigration.
    As Manager or Assistant Manager https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Pret-A-Manger/salaries
    This was from a few years back, and it was posted in their window in the Picadilly branch, which I suspect is far from typical.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

Disagree. You vote according to the rules of the contest. I voted tactically for the Tories to reduce a Labour majority in a very safe Labour seat, which proved to be the case. The outcome I voted for wasn't Boris and I admit no responsibility for his majority in parliament, because I was in no way whatsoever responsible for that. The outcome I voted for was to help Labour towards the thought processes it is now having in the leadership contest. I took a slight risk but I am livably pleased with how that turned out.

I'd probably have opted to go LD in Bedford for vote building.

So who WAS responsible for the Tory majority if not people who voted Tory?
    True. I thought you were arguing the converse, and was showing that you could have voted Tory without belonging the group that delivered the majority. The Boris majority was delivered mainly in Midlands and North in seats containing poorish distribution sector small towns and significant rural hinterlands, whose most direct equivalents in the South have unquestionably returned Tories since 2005.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2020
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
    Dreadful for my girl.
    Klobuchurn?
    My Girl the Big Liz. I really should have locked in more green when she hit evens way back when.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

The reason this government is creating this deceit of on policy writing mug across our foreheads.
    Yes, they are out today.

Overseas workers need 70 points under these plans to come here, unskilled work earning under £20 000 gives 0 points
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, they are out today.

One of the perverse effects of this system is that international recruitment will be straightforward at higher levels, but impossible at lower levels. The nurses will be immigrants and the HCAs British. It will make a change from the older times with British nurses supported by immigrant assistants.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
    Dreadful for my girl.
    Klobuchurn?
    My Girl the Big Liz. I really should have locked in more green when she hit evens way back when.
    Well yes. Failing to do so was an Un Warren ted risk.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, they are out today.

One of the perverse effects of this system is that international recruitment will be straightforward at higher levels, but impossible at lower levels. The nurses will be immigrants and the HCAs British. It will make a change from the older times with British nurses supported by immigrant assistants.
    Has it ever been mooted that the state services should have an open door policy while private firms have to use a points system?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    stodge said:

It is not retrospective

What's to stop people doing both? Plenty of UK citizens try to deal only in cash.

It seems very likely to me that many EU UK residents will fail to apply for settled status but mostly through ignorance or negligence rather than for some nefarious motive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Overseas workers need 70 points under these plans to come here, unskilled work earning under £20 000 gives 0 points

Offer of a job at appropriate skill level for the applicant - 40 pts
    Salary of £26,000 or more - 20 pts
    Speaks English - 10 pts

It's all there: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement

Look, I like it. I think it's simple, and restricts Big Issue Sellers, and the like.

But the idea that it's incredibly restrictive and is designed to dramatically reduce unemployment is for the birds.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, they are out today.

I think that's by design. The aim is to encourage British firms (and hospitals) to prioritise the recruitment of lower skilled British workers.

That's not a bad thing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Speaks English - 10 pts

It's all there: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement

Look, I like it. I think it's simple, and restricts Big Issue Sellers, and the like.

But the idea that it's incredibly restrictive and is designed to dramatically reduce unemployment is for the birds.
    It's protectionism for the lowest earners

Thatcher destroyed the trade unions, then Blair smashed open the UK labour market. A perfect storm for big business, with the added bonus that anyone who complained was labelled/libelled a racist xenophobe. Low paid workers need protection and now they have it I think.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Speaks English - 10 pts

Thatcher destroyed the trade unions, then Blair smashed open the UK labour market. A perfect storm for big business, with the added bonus that anyone who complained was labelled/libelled a racist xenophobe. Low paid workers need protection and now they have it I think.
    I don't have a problem with these proposals. Indeed, I think they're broadly positive. (Although I prefer my compulsory health insurance one, but that's another story.)

Where I have an issue is with the government tweeting that they will no longer accept British firms importing skilled foreigners when they should be upskilling Brits, when the proposals do - in fact - absolutely nothing of the sort. In fact, the proposals are the exact opposite of the tweets. I object to our politicians lying to us.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

HYUFD said:
    This is close to a no-brainer as exists in real-world politics.

So naturally Labour will oppose it tooth-and-nail...
    Not sure our expat community in Spain consider learning Spanish as their duty as a migrant.

(In the UK, yes they should be expected to learn English, forced to is probably unnecessarily strong).
    I knew lots of Brits in Denmark and Switzerland. Very few bothered to learn the local language more than necessary to get by in shops. I think they missed out by not doing so, and I'm in favour of it being worth some points towards settled status, without being essential if you tick lots of other boxes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    rcs1000 said:

I think that's by design. The aim is to encourage British firms (and hospitals) to prioritise the recruitment of lower skilled British workers.

That's not a bad thing.

Yes, it's not restrictive at all. If anything this is how EU migration should have been from the beginning. Must speak the local language and not undercut the local labour force. If the EU had put this in place from the beginning then it would be a much more politically stable bloc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, they are out today.

That's not a bad thing.
    Yes, but to recruit into low skilled jobs, by definition.

In practice the biggest obstacle to international healthcare recruitment is recognition of qualifications. Within the EU/EEA these were automatically recognised, but non EU/EEA often are 6 months or more.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/19/tory-points-based-immigration-low-skilled-workers-politics-economy

Martin Kettle nails the politics of the new policy:

'The Tory party has also discovered, without necessarily intending to, something that centre-right parties and movements have simultaneously discovered in other parts of the world. Arguments based on national identity are proving to be tailor-made for splitting the social democratic constituencies that used to maintain parties like Labour. Social democracy’s working-class voters quite like the appeal to nationhood. Its middle-class voters, on the other hand, greatly dislike it. Putting these constituencies back together gets ever more difficult.'

'In Britain, Labour does not know how to respond on immigration – and Johnson knows it. One Labour response is to criticise his immigration plans for the problems they cause for business. Johnson does not care about that. He got where he is today by saying “fuck business”. Another response is to accuse him of racism. Johnson sees no threat there either. He reckons he will be laughing all the way to the ballot box as long as middle-class politicians accuse him – and his voters – of such things. His immigration plans may or may not work on the ground, in the high street or at the borders, but in the end that’s not the point. It’s not the economy, stupid. It’s the politics.'
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not sure our expat community in Spain consider learning Spanish as their duty as a migrant.

(In the UK, yes they should be expected to learn English, forced to is probably unnecessarily strong).
    I knew lots of Brits in Denmark and Switzerland. Very few bothered to learn the local language more than necessary to get by in shops. I think they missed out by not doing so, and I'm in favour of it being worth some points towards settled status, without being essential if you tick lots of other boxes.
    My daughter and son in law have just returned from a City break to Stockholm and everyone, yes everyone, spoke English
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/19/tory-points-based-immigration-low-skilled-workers-politics-economy

'The Tory party has also discovered, without necessarily intending to, something that centre-right parties and movements have simultaneously discovered in other parts of the world. Arguments based on national identity are proving to be tailor-made for splitting the social democratic constituencies that used to maintain parties like Labour. Social democracy’s working-class voters quite like the appeal to nationhood. Its middle-class voters, on the other hand, greatly dislike it. Putting these constituencies back together gets ever more difficult.'

'In Britain, Labour does not know how to respond on immigration – and Johnson knows it. One Labour response is to criticise his immigration plans for the problems they cause for business. Johnson does not care about that. He got where he is today by saying “fuck business”. Another response is to accuse him of racism. Johnson sees no threat there either. He reckons he will be laughing all the way to the ballot box as long as middle-class politicians accuse him – and his voters – of such things. His immigration plans may or may not work on the ground, in the high street or at the borders, but in the end that’s not the point. It’s not the economy, stupid. It’s the politics.'

Yeah, the economy gets screwed so pensioners can indulge their dislike of foreigners.
  • Options
    Northern Ireland Update :

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    I don't know if anybody has posted this before but a poll in California has:

Sanders: 32%
    Bidden: 14%
    Warren 13%
    Bloomberg 12%
    Buttigieg 12%
    everybody else 12% or less.

I'm not going to pay too much attention to a one pole and especially not for a state tat does not vote for 2 weeks (when some may have puled out) but still.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-02-18/california-poll-democratic-presidential-primary-ppic

That would give BS all of the statewide delegates and probably all the delegates from some CD, plus most of the delegates from most of the rest of the CDs

California has 415 delegates in total, including 144 at large delegates.
  • Options

Yeah, the economy gets screwed so pensioners can indulge their dislike of foreigners.
    Such a sad comment by a bitter remainer
  • Options
    edited February 2020

It is cyclical; we have had a decent run of the rich getting richer and the poor, poorer because the centrists dislike everyone except themselves
  • Options

Which bit do you quibble with, as opposed to make gratuitous personal attacks? If you want to be cheery about Brexit, be my guest. Don’t bitch at those of us who aren’t prepared to live in a fool’s paradise.
  • Options
    isam said:

It is cyclical; we have had a decent run of the rich getting richer and the poor, poorer because the centrists dislike everyone except themselves
    And now we’re going to have a run of the rich getting poorer and the poor getting poorer.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

HYUFD said:

English is the local language here in the UK, and it's also a bit more - in fact everything more. Nobody thinks learning Danish is essential when taking a high-flying job in Denmark, but everybody thinks knowing good English is, and for that job in Denmark.

Immigrants to the UK therefore have a unique hurdle, in that foreign languages aren't really going to be a thing. Obviously the government caters for all sorts of languages when they're dealing with you, but really - it's just English.

English is nothing to do with England though - the Pakistani cricket commentator in Lahore owns it as much as I do.
  • Options

isam said:

And now we’re going to have a run of the rich getting poorer and the poor getting poorer.
    Well we'll have to wait and see about that. But it's better than the status quo, so hey ho.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Well we'll have to wait and see about that. But it's better than the status quo, so hey ho.
    The “eat grass” school of Brexit.
  • Options
    For fans of Radiohead and puns, I believe we have one or two on here.

• Options
    edited February 2020

isam said:

isam said:

Too clever for me, I just dont like selling out the poor of our country to big corporates
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Too clever for me, I just dont like selling out the poor of our country to big corporates
    So you’d make everyone including the poor worse off?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

So you’d make everyone including the poor worse off?
    I don't think that will happen, but there are circumstances where rich and poor both being worse off is preferable to the rich getting richer because the poor are getting poorer
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited February 2020

Isn't it something to be celebrated that we live in a country so rich that our pensioners are free to explore the higher levels of Maslow's hierarchy of needs? :wink:
  • Options

Isn't it something to be celebrated that we live in a country so rich that our pensioners are free to explore the higher levels of Maslow's hierarchy of needs? :wink:
    Not when they’re salting the earth for the younger generation. Truly the current generation of pensioners are the most selfish ever.
  • Options

Not when they’re salting the earth for the younger generation. Truly the current generation of pensioners are the most selfish ever.
    The earth is being salted by having an immigration policy looser than nations such as Canada and Australia?

Your hyperbole surely knows no bounds.
  • Options

Which bit do you quibble with, as opposed to make gratuitous personal attacks? If you want to be cheery about Brexit, be my guest. Don’t bitch at those of us who aren’t prepared to live in a fool’s paradise.
    Your constant accusations that we hate foreigners.

Far from it Boris has now opened our country to the worlds population

You need to move on
  • Options
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

English is the local language here in the UK, and it's also a bit more - in fact everything more. Nobody thinks learning Danish is essential when taking a high-flying job in Denmark, but everybody thinks knowing good English is, and for that job in Denmark.

Immigrants to the UK therefore have a unique hurdle, in that foreign languages aren't really going to be a thing. Obviously the government caters for all sorts of languages when they're dealing with you, but really - it's just English.

English is nothing to do with England though - the Pakistani cricket commentator in Lahore owns it as much as I do.
    Yes, I broadly agree with you - we're lucky that the global language is the one we learned by accident of birth. I get a bit contrarian when I hear people get on their high horse about it - "OF COURSE everyone should learn English, or they're just layabouts"
  • Options
    isam said:

Under 45 educated and hard working have just been screwed by a decade of asset inflation, and the rich getting richer, and are now going to get screwed by a decade of economic self harm and protectionism.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Arguments based on national identity would have been viewed with all around contempt before mass immigration and globalisation. Now? not so much,

Johnson may have expoited the split, but it was the Blair government created the fault lines.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Speaks English - 10 pts

I don't have a problem with these proposals. Indeed, I think they're broadly positive. (Although I prefer my compulsory health insurance one, but that's another story.)

Where I have an issue is with the government tweeting that they will no longer accept British firms importing skilled foreigners when they should be upskilling Brits, when the proposals do - in fact - absolutely nothing of the sort. In fact, the proposals are the exact opposite of the tweets. I object to our politicians lying to us.
    The even more cynical amongst us may have noticed that it creates incentives for firms to spend a lot of money lobbying politicians to gain approved sponsor status and to get their employees defined as shortage occupations. Completely incidental I am sure.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I broadly agree with you - we're lucky that the global language is the one we learned by accident of birth. I get a bit contrarian when I hear people get on their high horse about it - "OF COURSE everyone should learn English, or they're just layabouts"
    I broadly agree with you! I dont say they should, but is it unfair to say that anyone who hasn't learned English is likely to be a bit of a layabout?
  • Options
    Re the US, I have a theory.

I think that in the immediate aftermath of the South Carolina primary, Barack Obama is going to be calling all the Presidential candidates who aren't called Bernie Sanders and will be telling them:

Your campaign is not viable right now. You need to come to an accommodation with the other members of the moderate lane, and you need to come to it now. If you don't do this, I will be forced to pick a candidate to endorse. And you don't want me to do that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    If immigration gets overly restrictive and labour gets tight the cost of care will increase. That’s going to hit the old rather than the young. The young benefit from higher wages and possibly even more interest in training them and increasing their productivity. A reduction in immigration may well also reduce the pressure on housing reducing the capital value of houses again benefiting the young over the old. The idea this is all to favour the old is nonsense.

But hey, whatever rocks your boat.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

You really have zero understanding of the motives and life experiences of pensioners but simply hurl insults which are so obviously the result of a failure to accept something that happened 4 years ago now. Truly awful to see you repeatedly lash out in this way. FFS move on.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited February 2020

You need to move on
    Our pensioners are so racist they voted for a government where some of the highest offices in the land, the most powerful and prestigious positions a country can bestow, are occupied by the sons and daughters of immigrants.

The actual evidence is that when people come here seeking a better life, their families can quickly rise to the highest echelons in the land. Foreign Secretary. Home Secretary. Chancellor.
  • Options
    felix said:

You really have zero understanding of the motives and life experiences of pensioners but simply hurl insults which are so obviously the result of a failure to accept something that happened 4 years ago now. Truly awful to see you repeatedly lash out in this way. FFS move on.
    Agreed
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Speaks English - 10 pts

The even more cynical amongst us may have noticed that it creates incentives for firms to spend a lot of money lobbying politicians to gain approved sponsor status and to get their employees defined as shortage occupations. Completely incidental I am sure.
    Which is why my compulsory health insurance proposal is the better option. Dead simple to implement. Raises revenue for the Treasury. Involves exactly no bureaucrats making arbitrary decisions over whether a firm should be approved or what are shortage occupations.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It depends what you mean by control.

I want us to control immigration so we allow in people who want to work hard, play fair, contribute to society, pay taxes and not claim benefits. If we do all that I will consider it controlled.

I don't want us to control immigration by targetting some arbitrary number of people regardless of quality, wages or ability.

The government has said they're going to control migration by aspects of quality but they're not targeting numbers. That seems entirely rational to me.

Its worth noting that Australia (and Canada) have points based immigration systems that allow in quality migrants but not set to some arbitrary cap below ours. They in fact allow in more migrants per capita than we do.
  • Options

For fans of Radiohead and puns, I believe we have one or two on here.

I came up with some Queen ones a few years ago:

It's a Hard Loaf
    Radio Rum-Baba
    Flesh
    Under Pressure Cooker
    It's a Rind of Magic
    Breadlong
    We are the Champignons
    I want to Bake Free
    Bun Vision
    Spread your Chicken Wings
    Seven Seas of Rhye Bread
    You don't Raspberry Fool Me
    Now I'm Beer
    Good Old Fashioned Liver Boy
    Another One Bites the Crust
    Bakethru'
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It depends what you mean by control.

I want us to control immigration so we allow in people who want to work hard, play fair, contribute to society, pay taxes and not claim benefits. If we do all that I will consider it controlled.

I don't want us to control immigration by targetting some arbitrary number of people regardless of quality, wages or ability.

The government has said they're going to control migration by aspects of quality but they're not targeting numbers. That seems entirely rational to me.

Its worth noting that Australia (and Canada) have points based immigration systems that allow in quality migrants but not set to some arbitrary cap below ours. They in fact allow in more migrants per capita than we do.
    You're right - the last sentence of mine was incorrect.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

English is the best language in the world!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Iran coronavirus: "BBC Persian [sic] understands that 25 people are being quarantined in the same hospital on suspicion that they might have Covid-19. "
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Well, I am currently sitting in a hospital waiting room while my daughter has some tests. She may have developed viral meningitis, a side effect of mumps.

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

Has anything exciting - other than endless rain - happened?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If immigration gets overly restrictive and labour gets tight the cost of care will increase. That’s going to hit the old rather than the young. The young benefit from higher wages and possibly even more interest in training them and increasing their productivity. A reduction in immigration may well also reduce the pressure on housing reducing the capital value of houses again benefiting the young over the old. The idea this is all to favour the old is nonsense.

I think it inevitable that there will be both cost pressures and staffing pressures on social care will dramatically increase over the next 15 years, even before immigration changes. The population growth forecast for the next 15 years, even with current immigration, is of several million over 65s with no real change in the working age population. The cohort of Gen X is simply a lot smaller than the Boomers.

The cost pressures are bearable with more spending, either by state or individual, the quantity and quality of staffing are much more problematic. I expect more scandals and bankruptcies in the sector.

In the hospitality sector, I wouldn't expect so much problem, marginal businesses in the pub, restaurant, cafe and hotel sector will simply become non viable and close. In agriculture, I expect it will be simple too, we will import produce rather than workers.

• Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Sandpit said:

That's really worrying, to announce five deaths but no other reports or details of infections. Are there dozens infected in Iran, or did these people actually die of something else?

Here in the UAE there have been nine cases, 8 of which have now been discharged. All were Chinese or had flown back from China.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

All this points (to me) to Coronavirus being massively more prevalent than we thought. And therefore that mortality rates are actually pretty low.
    Except that there is another possibility. People are dying of coronavirus everywhere... but the lack of test kits and knowledge means that these deaths are being written off as pneumonia, old age, the ague, the bloody Fluxe, etc

I don't think that follows. If it's really prevalent and people were dropping dead of Corona virus left, right and centre, don't you think we might notice a slight rise in the number of people in the obituaries column.

Obvious question is, do we always do blood tests if some old person dies of pneumonia? Do they do this in India, China, Africa?

Death rates might have risen unnoticed, in old people, in poorer countries. That seems possible, but again I will defer to experts, if there are any.

no spike in england/wales death rates in week ending 7 FEB at least.
    in fact it was quite low (possibly due to mild feb weather.

"The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 7 February 2020 (week 6) was 10,986; this represents a decrease of 626 deaths registered in comparison with the previous week (week 5).

The average number of deaths for the corresponding week over the previous five years was 11,925."
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

That's exactly what the slope browed residents of Hartlepool wanted when they vote leave.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, I am currently sitting in a hospital waiting room while my daughter has some tests. She may have developed viral meningitis, a side effect of mumps.

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

Hope that she’s ok.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

I am sure you are worried and lets all hope you receive good news

All the very best
  • Options

You need to move on
    Our pensioners are so racist they voted for a government where some of the highest offices in the land, the most powerful and prestigious positions a country can bestow, are occupied by the sons and daughters of immigrants.

The actual evidence is that when people come here seeking a better life, their families can quickly rise to the highest echelons in the land. Foreign Secretary. Home Secretary. Chancellor.
    Not any more. Neither Priti nor Sajids parents would pass muster under the new system.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

Best wishes :+1:
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

The people who were angry about immigration aren't anymore, and the people who weren't... are

All the best to your daughter
  • Options
    felix said:

On the contrary, @AlastairMeeks is a pensions specialist, and shortly to join the pensioner ranks himself.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

On the contrary, @AlastairMeeks is a pensions specialist, and shortly to join the pensioner ranks himself.
    At 52
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Fantastic, does this mean I don't have to press 'accept cookys' on every website i go to?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I think it inevitable that there will be both cost pressures and staffing pressures on social care will dramatically increase over the next 15 years, even before immigration changes. The population growth forecast for the next 15 years, even with current immigration, is of several million over 65s with no real change in the working age population. The cohort of Gen X is simply a lot smaller than the Boomers.

The cost pressures are bearable with more spending, either by state or individual, the quantity and quality of staffing are much more problematic. I expect more scandals and bankruptcies in the sector.

In the hospitality sector, I wouldn't expect so much problem, marginal businesses in the pub, restaurant, cafe and hotel sector will simply become non viable and close. In agriculture, I expect it will be simple too, we will import produce rather than workers.

That's absolutely right, and that's why the government has introduced a pretty relaxed immigration policy, and will probably loosen it further in the years to come.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

Sorry to hear it. A miserable thing to have but generally a good prognosis.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    llef said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Sandpit said:

no spike in england/wales death rates in week ending 7 FEB at least.
    in fact it was quite low (possibly due to mild feb weather.

"The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 7 February 2020 (week 6) was 10,986; this represents a decrease of 626 deaths registered in comparison with the previous week (week 5).

The average number of deaths for the corresponding week over the previous five years was 11,925."
    Has the London Mayor done something at last about knife crime?
  • Options
    Best wishes, @Cyclefree and daughter.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

Hope it turns out to be a false alarm. Best wishes to you all.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Fantastic, does this mean I don't have to press 'accept cookys' on every website i go to?
    You think the GDPR is bad... wait until California passes its planned law.
  • Options
    Good luck @Cyclefree and daughter.
  • Options
    Freedom from the GDPR protection racket!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
  • Options
    Best wishes for your daughter and you, Cyclefree - sounds as if you've had a really rough time lately.

Interesting article contrasting Sanders with Corbyn:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/regular-democrats-arent-least-bit-worried-about-bernie/606688/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    Best wishes to both Ms Cyclefree's
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Hardly. 52, 53? It’s the impetuosity of youth that we are seeing.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    Foxy said:

You need to move on

Not any more. Neither Priti nor Sajids parents would pass muster under the new system.
    Quite right.
    Went to a talk today by someone high up in the 'anti-crime' world in Essex. Wasn't enthusiastic (to say the least) about the Home Secretary.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Yay! Fantastic. What a load of cost, faff, risk, and hassle, we can lose. Where do we sign please!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

Hope she makes a full recovery!
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Yay! Fantastic. What a load of cost, faff, risk, and hassle, we can lose. Where do we sign please!
    Yay! Fantastic. Now Google can treat our data like THEY own it. Where do the marketing companies sign up for access?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    I would much rather keep those currently contributing to our inland revenue system and welcome those who want to contribute to it in the future, irrespective of where they are from.

For anyone worried about net migration figures I would be quite content to exchange with Eastern and Southern European countries their workers for anyone who has ever appeared on the Jeremy Kyle Show, just to balance the numbers.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Yay! Fantastic. Now Google can treat our data like THEY own it. Where do the marketing companies sign up for access?
    Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn. GDPR is one of the stupidest ideas of the last decade.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    This thread has been cast off.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Am a bit worried.

A long evening ahead.

Thoughts are with you.

Hope that she gets well very soon.
  • Options

You need to move on

Or indeed Prime Minister...
This discussion has been closed.