Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Corbyn backers still not persuaded that GE2019 was the to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Corbyn backers still not persuaded that GE2019 was the total disaster for their party that it was

This seems a simple thing to do but haven’t seen it anywhere yet so here it is: Labour % vote share change between 2015 and 2019, by seat, giving the “net Corbyn effect” on the Labour share https://t.co/Ls5hW6GQGg

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,979
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't laugh, but I think Steyer is better than a 26-1 shot for South Carolina.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree.
    How is your book looking, still short Bloomberg ?

Almost feels like I'm all in on Sanders at this point :E.
    Yeah. I've actually been ahead of the pundits in how serious a chance I think Bloomberg has, but the odds have always been ahead of where I think he is so I've never been willing to hedge at the price available.

Right now I think the 538 model with plurality selected and Biden/Bloomberg switched is about the same as my gut so:

Sanders - 50-60%
    Bloomberg - 20-25%
    Biden - 15-20%

Biden should get a better result in Nevada and could well then win SC. If either/both of those happen then he might pick up some support again, but the trend for him vs Bloomberg is ominous otherwise.
    I'm not convinced re Biden

Firstly, there's a strong correlation between "not paying much attention to the nomination process" and backing Biden. I think people who aren't actually going to vote, say they're going to vote Biden.

Secondly, compared to the Sanders or Buttigieg campaigns, Biden is not well organised. That's going to matter on Saturday, given the caucus format.

Thirdly, Biden is short on money, perhaps very short. This means he's not been able to match the spending of the other campaigns.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden fails to pick up delegates again on Saturday. And while he may come second in South Carolina, I don't think that's enough.

My probability of him winning the nomination is less that 10%. Really, the only way I see him getting it is if Klobuchar and Buttigieg make the call that it's better to back an old moderate Pope than to let Sanders (or Bloomberg) in.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,581
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah. I've actually been ahead of the pundits in how serious a chance I think Bloomberg has, but the odds have always been ahead of where I think he is so I've never been willing to hedge at the price available.

Right now I think the 538 model with plurality selected and Biden/Bloomberg switched is about the same as my gut so:

Sanders - 50-60%
    Bloomberg - 20-25%
    Biden - 15-20%

Biden should get a better result in Nevada and could well then win SC. If either/both of those happen then he might pick up some support again, but the trend for him vs Bloomberg is ominous otherwise.

Firstly, there's a strong correlation between "not paying much attention to the nomination process" and backing Biden. I think people who aren't actually going to vote, say they're going to vote Biden.

Secondly, compared to the Sanders or Buttigieg campaigns, Biden is not well organised. That's going to matter on Saturday, given the caucus format.

Thirdly, Biden is short on money, perhaps very short. This means he's not been able to match the spending of the other campaigns.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden fails to pick up delegates again on Saturday. And while he may come second in South Carolina, I don't think that's enough.

My probability of him winning the nomination is less that 10%. Really, the only way I see him getting it is if Klobuchar and Buttigieg make the call that it's better to back an old moderate Pope than to let Sanders (or Bloomberg) in.

What the early voting does do is downgrade any influence an outstandingly good or bad debate performance might have.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Sanders - 50-60%
    Bloomberg - 20-25%
    Biden - 15-20%

All else being equal, you'd rather have your supporters be engaged and high turnout voters - sure. But just because you are popular among low-information voters doesn't mean you can't win an election.

Biden has underperformed at Iowa and New Hampshire, but no-one but Bloomberg is rising above him (though he may simply fall below other candidates). Mayor Pete and Klobuchar show no sign of being viable through Super Tuesday (Warren neither, frankly). If Biden can remain viable, which he may be able to, then he will be one of three candidates standing. Maybe in third place, but that's a lot better than nothing. And the Pete/Klob voters have to go somewhere.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

That is nonsense of course. Many LAB voters on December 12th were like me – using my vote tactically to stop the Tories in the tightest LAB-CON marginal in the country. This was not a vote for Corbyn.

Ultimately it was a vote for Corbyn over Boris.

You could have the same arguments for all the Tory votes despite Johnson (and likely because of Corbyn).

Which is among the reasons I voted for neither.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020
    If Corbyn's Labour "won the argument" with the Tories nicking their ideas then surely the Labour Party is now surplus to requirements and should be disbanded.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

rcs1000 said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Sanders - 50-60%
    Bloomberg - 20-25%
    Biden - 15-20%

All else being equal, you'd rather have your supporters be engaged and high turnout voters - sure. But just because you are popular among low-information voters doesn't mean you can't win an election.

Biden has underperformed at Iowa and New Hampshire, but no-one but Bloomberg is rising above him (though he may simply fall below other candidates). Mayor Pete and Klobuchar show no sign of being viable through Super Tuesday (Warren neither, frankly). If Biden can remain viable, which he may be able to, then he will be one of three candidates standing. Maybe in third place, but that's a lot better than nothing.
    Possibly, but there have been signs his support is crumbling, and a caucus system arguably magnifies that effect.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

That is nonsense of course. Many LAB voters on December 12th were like me – using my vote tactically to stop the Tories in the tightest LAB-CON marginal in the country. This was not a vote for Corbyn.

You could have the same arguments for all the Tory votes despite Johnson (and likely because of Corbyn).

Which is among the reasons I voted for neither.
    For sure. Mike might argue that he was confident that Boris would be PM and that this was a vote to have a Labour MP over a Tory one, but I'm not sure I'd believe him.
  • Options

If Corbyn's Labour won the argument with the Tories nicking their ideas then surely the Labour Party is now surplus to requirements and should be disbanded.

There is never only one argument.
  • Options
    Two polls today show Bloomberg bests Trump the most.

Will this have an affect on polling down the road?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I did not realise you had voted Labour last December. You appeared pretty determined not to do so on account of the Anti-Semitism issue.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited February 2020

Two polls today show Bloomberg bests Trump the most.

Will this have an affect on polling down the road?

Which two ?

Sanders 46 Trump 42; Bloomberg 46 Trump 42
    Sanders 53 Trump 42; Bloomberg 52 Trump 43
    Sanders 51 Trump 45; Bloomberg 50 Trump 45
    Sanders 43 Trump 40; Bloomberg 44 Trump 38

Something, something good polls for Sanders don't count something.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Shows you how much the Iowa cock-up mattered when so much was invested in it by the rest of the field.

https://twitter.com/harrytlambert/status/1230124574794186754
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    Labour got fewer seats in 2019 than 1983 despite getting about 4% more in share of the vote, which means they must be uselessly (under FPTP) piling up huge majorities in their safe seats.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Possibly, but there have been signs his support is crumbling, and a caucus system arguably magnifies that effect.

The polling on Biden is messy, Bloomberg also. There are certainly some signs he is collapsing, but other polls seem to show him falling after NH but only to the high teens. If he can stop the rot there (perhaps with Bloomberg having a rubbish debate, or Biden doing well in Nevada) then it's a very different race.

Is he crumbling or fairly stable? I'd lean to the former but honestly I don't think it's clear at the moment. And I think we should keep the latter as a possibility in mind.

Less than half of the last few polls have Bloomberg 2nd (the page is currently missing a new Morning Consult poll with Bloomberg 2nd on 20%). The trend looks bad but we can't assume where the polls are going, especially now Biden has some more fertile states before Super Tuesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2020_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries#February_2020
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

If Corbyn's Labour won the argument with the Tories nicking their ideas then surely the Labour Party is now surplus to requirements and should be disbanded.

There is never only one argument.
    And BJ's long term commitment to anything let alone just ideas is suspect to say the least.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Andy_JS said:

Labour got fewer seats in 2019 than 1983 despite getting about 4% more in share of the vote, which means they must be uselessly (under FPTP) piling up huge majorities in their safe seats.

Labour's vote share was almost 5% higher than 1983 .The fall in seat numbers is explained by the loss of Scotland.In England Labour has significantly higher representation than 1983 and 1987 - fairly similar to 1992 albeit with a very different regional distribution of seats.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Andy_JS said:

Labour in Scotland:

1983: 57% of seats for 35% of the vote
    2019: 1.7% of seats for 19% of the vote
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

But there more seats in Scotland then. Labour would be several seats down on their 1983 score purely on this factor alone.
  • Options
    Imagine if everyone voted for a party regardless of the leader, goodness. No incentive for Labour to learn or change if that's the case.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Nigelb said:

The polling on Biden is messy, Bloomberg also. There are certainly some signs he is collapsing, but other polls seem to show him falling after NH but only to the high teens. If he can stop the rot there (perhaps with Bloomberg having a rubbish debate, or Biden doing well in Nevada) then it's a very different race.

Is he crumbling or fairly stable? I'd lean to the former but honestly I don't think it's clear at the moment. And I think we should keep the latter as a possibility in mind.

Less than half of the last few polls have Bloomberg 2nd (the page is currently missing a new Morning Consult poll with Bloomberg 2nd on 20%). The trend looks bad but we can't assume where the polls are going, especially now Biden has some more fertile states before Super Tuesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2020_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries#February_2020
    Bloomberg will start to fail after his appearance at the debate. He's the perfect foil for everyone - on the left and center - to attack for income inequality, stop and frisk, etc etc.

How far he'll fall isn't clear. He's not wonderful when speaking to crowds but he does have a certain frankness some people might respond to. (As in, "I'm a billionaire, I can say what I want, and that's what I've been accustomed to doing for a long, long time."
  • Options

Quincel said:

Nigelb said:

Bloomberg will start to fail after his appearance at the debate. He's the perfect foil for everyone - on the left and center - to attack for income inequality, stop and frisk, etc etc.

How far he'll fall isn't clear. He's not wonderful when speaking to crowds but he does have a certain frankness some people might respond to. (As in, "I'm a billionaire, I can say what I want, and that's what I've been accustomed to doing for a long, long time."
    My bank balance hopes you are right. Time will tell.

Not much time to wait, either.
  • Options
    What a nice, respectful contest this is:

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1230150706704912384

(Briahna Gray is Bernie Sanders’ press secretary, Kevin Sheekey is Bloomberg's campaign manager).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    edited February 2020

Quincel said:

Nigelb said:

If Bloomberg gets completely battered by other candidates (and subsequently falls back), is he thick skinned enough not to sulk in the continuing struggle against Trump?
  • Options

(Briahna Gray is Bernie Sanders’ press secretary, Kevin Sheekey is Bloomberg's campaign manager).

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on the Campaign Trail....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

No, it's because the Lib Dems / Liberals won far less of the vote in 2019 but only a dozen or so fewer seats.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on the Campaign Trail....
    Do Bloomberg's heart issues count ?

The former mayor is on a blood thinner after developing atrial fibrillation in the setting of otherwise normal heart function in 2018, according to the letter. Atrial fibrillation is an irregular heartbeat. It can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications.

The letter notes Bloomberg takes blood thinners, beta-blockers and cholesterol medication, but does not note specific medications or dosages.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,894

ttps://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1230150706704912384

They all want Trump to win a landslide, no? Because the big orange man is the only person who benefits from a nasty and negative Dem campaign.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They all want Trump to win a landslide, no? Because the big orange man is the only person who benefits from a nasty and negative Dem campaign.
    Plenty of Bernie bros wouldn't care if it was Bloomberg vs Trump, and they'd be right not to imo.
  • Options
    The really interesting question is what happens if Bloomberg/Biden (but probably Bloomberg) *DOES* consolidate the moderate vote. It would probably mean that Sanders wins Super Tuesday and has a big lead, but sometime in the weeks afterwards the moderate candidate overtakes him on vote share. We'd have a situation where Sanders' lead on delegates was too large, so he'd head to the convention with 200-500 more say, but the moderate had won most of the final states and clearly had more popular support as of the convention date.

Now that would be fireworks.

I suspect Sanders will gain plenty of votes from fallen candidates and win a H2H, but it's hardly an implausible scenario.
  • Options
    The Corbyn fans like to attribute every single Labour vote as being backing for their man. That is nonsense of course. Many LAB voters on December 12th were like me – using my vote tactically to stop the Tories in the tightest LAB-CON marginal in the country. This was not a vote for Corbyn.

Except it was. Any vote for a Labour candidate was, ultimately, a vote for Corbyn to become PM. That's especially so in a marginal constituency where these votes might really make the difference nationally.

Indeed, how else could the country "stop the Tories" other than by installing Corbyn in No 10?

It might well be that many votes for Labour and hence Corbyn were of a 'least-worst' variety rather than being expressions of enthusiastic support (that was my reasoning, to the opposite conclusion), but nonetheless they had exactly the same effect as those votes which were enthusiastically given.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Maybe it's a bigger deal to the left, but I do wonder how important party unity is in this age of hyper-partisanship. It's not like Trump had the party behind him until he won (and even then he didn't for a while).
  • Options
    Quincel said:

The really interesting question is what happens if Bloomberg/Biden (but probably Bloomberg) *DOES* consolidate the moderate vote. It would probably mean that Sanders wins Super Tuesday and has a big lead, but sometime in the weeks afterwards the moderate candidate overtakes him on vote share. We'd have a situation where Sanders' lead on delegates was too large, so he'd head to the convention with 200-500 more say, but the moderate had won most of the final states and clearly had more popular support as of the convention date.

I suspect Sanders will gain plenty of votes from fallen candidates and win a H2H, but it's hardly an implausible scenario.

What are the rules on delegates that "fallen" candidates 'own'. Are they all "directed" or can they be released back to the pool for redistribution ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

What are the rules on delegates that "fallen" candidates 'own'. Are they all "directed" or can they be released back to the pool for redistribution ?
    No idea. Also, would the super-delegates (who kinda exist for this purpose) be willing to go for someone else?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

No idea. Also, would the super-delegates (who kinda exist for this purpose) be willing to go for someone else?
    Warren is absolubtely directing any delegates she has to Sanders, not sure about the others.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Biden has underperformed at Iowa and New Hampshire, but no-one but Bloomberg is rising above him (though he may simply fall below other candidates). Mayor Pete and Klobuchar show no sign of being viable through Super Tuesday (Warren neither, frankly). If Biden can remain viable, which he may be able to, then he will be one of three candidates standing. Maybe in third place, but that's a lot better than nothing. And the Pete/Klob voters have to go somewhere.

Low information voters didn't turn out in Iowa and didn't turn out in New Hampshire - why should Nevada and South Carolina be any different?

It's also worth remembering that campaigns run on two things: votes, sure, but also money. And that second one is where Biden is really struggling. Sanders is picking up donations from hundreds of thousands of people. Buttigieg is doing only slightly worse. Klobuchar has seen an influx of cash. Steyer and Bloomberg are self financing. Biden struggled to raise money when he was the front runner, and he has to be doing even worse now. Who's the natural constituency of people to donate to his campaign? Filings show a wage bill alone of $1m/week, and that's before the myriad other costs of a campaign. He had just $9m in the bank at the end of Q4. Biden is in serious danger of running out of money.

And there's one other thing about Biden: have you ever seen a candidate who's seemed so ambivalent about running? He doesn't look like he's enjoying the campaign. Sanders thrives on the fight. Biden looks like it's all a bit of a faff.

Now, none of this means Biden can't win the nomination. If Buttigieg or Klobuchar withdraws and backs him, then he's right back in contention. And I suppose he might do better than expected in Nevada, although the caucus format favours the organised, and there's not a lot of evidence of great organsation.

So, I'm going to go for a sub 10% chance of winning the nomination - perhaps even sub 5%.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Warren is absolubtely directing any delegates she has to Sanders, not sure about the others.

Hold on, there are some rules but they are pretty vague:

"The Delegate Selection Rules for the 2020 Democratic National Convention include two provisions regarding the binding of delegates to the candidates they supported at the time of their selection.[10]

“ No delegate at any level of the delegate selection process shall be mandated by law or Party rule to vote contrary to that person’s presidential choice as expressed at the time the delegate is elected.[12] ”
    —Rule 13.I (p. 14)[10]
    “ Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.[12] ”
    —Rule 13.J (p. 14)[10]
    Beyond this, the Delegate Selection Rules do not directly address how a candidate's withdrawal from the race before the convention affects the delegates pledged to that candidate. However, in 13 states, statutes establish provisions for the release of delegates either upon a candidate's withdrawal or after a specific number of ballots have been taken at the national convention. The table below identifies these states. In the column titled "Candidate withdrawal or release provision," a "yes" indicates that the statute allows for the release of pledged delegates either upon a candidate's withdrawal or at the explicit direction of the candidate. In the column titled "Multiple ballot provision," a "yes" indicates that the statute allows for the release of a pledged delegate after a specific number of ballots have been taken at the convention (the number in parentheses indicates the ballot on which the delegates would be released). The full text of relevant statutes and their citations are also provided."

https://ballotpedia.org/Democratic_delegate_rules,_2020
  • Options
    There's a new South Carolina poll out from Change Research:
    Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Shows you how much the Iowa cock-up mattered when so much was invested in it by the rest of the field.

Isn't much of Bloombergs adverts generic attacks on Trump, so more a GOTV message for Dems than building a Bloomberg bandwagon?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,894
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Plenty of Bernie bros wouldn't care if it was Bloomberg vs Trump, and they'd be right not to imo.
    Oh exactly. No matter who wins the nomination from here, getting Democrats out and united against Trump is November is already looking like a tall order.
  • Options

Normally candidates quit after Iowa and New Hampshire, and therefore those that remain (and those that won) see their polling rise.

This time, none of the losers have quit.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Sandpit said:

Remember that Bernie Bros are barely Dems and, much like Corbynistas wrt to the Blairites, they care as much about the conflict to wrest control of the left from the Democratic Party machine as they do about Trump.

On the other hand the 'moderates' are desperate to maintain that control and will use every tactic to undermine Sanders.

Trump is a sideshow in this battle, which to be fair is understandable; he's only got one more term (...or has he?) .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
    That is interesting.
    First time Buttigieg registered double digits there ?
  • Options
    As an aside, and from a betting perspective, what are the odds that - assuming he's the nominee - Sanders doesn't make it to the General?

This is a man of advancing years, who's just had a heart attack, and is involved in one of the most physically strenuous activities on the planet.

If he was sitting at home writing his memoirs, he'd probably have twenty years. But he's not. He's out in all weathers speaking, campaigning. He's probably not getting proper exercise or nutrition or sleep.

And if he did have to step down for some reason, who takes his place? It has to be Warren, I would have though.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,436
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
    That is interesting.
    Steyer
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Biden      23%
    Sanders 23%
    Steyer 20%
    Buttigieg 15%
    Warren 9%
    Klobuchar 8%
    That is interesting.
    Steyer on the march too.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

Isn't much of Bloombergs adverts generic attacks on Trump, so more a GOTV message for Dems than building a Bloomberg bandwagon?
    You can do both at the same time. He's getting his name out there and he's the only one taking the fight to Trump, so they are effectively ads for his presidential campaign.

He wouldn't be polling anything like what he currently is without those attack ads.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

"The Delegate Selection Rules for the 2020 Democratic National Convention include two provisions regarding the binding of delegates to the candidates they supported at the time of their selection.[10]

“ No delegate at any level of the delegate selection process shall be mandated by law or Party rule to vote contrary to that person’s presidential choice as expressed at the time the delegate is elected.[12] ”
    —Rule 13.I (p. 14)[10]
    “ Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.[12] ”
    —Rule 13.J (p. 14)[10]
    Beyond this, the Delegate Selection Rules do not directly address how a candidate's withdrawal from the race before the convention affects the delegates pledged to that candidate. However, in 13 states, statutes establish provisions for the release of delegates either upon a candidate's withdrawal or after a specific number of ballots have been taken at the national convention. The table below identifies these states. In the column titled "Candidate withdrawal or release provision," a "yes" indicates that the statute allows for the release of pledged delegates either upon a candidate's withdrawal or at the explicit direction of the candidate. In the column titled "Multiple ballot provision," a "yes" indicates that the statute allows for the release of a pledged delegate after a specific number of ballots have been taken at the convention (the number in parentheses indicates the ballot on which the delegates would be released). The full text of relevant statutes and their citations are also provided."

In 2008, after John Edwards endorsed Obama, his delegates all voted for Obama.

But the rules vary by state, I think.
  • Options

Foxy said:

You can do both at the same time. He's getting is face out there and he's the only one taking the fight to Trump, so they are effectively ads for his presidential campaign.

He wouldn't be polling anything like what he currently is without those attack ads.
    They're clever adverts. And that's Bloomberg's message: "I'm the one out there attacking Trump while you lot fight among yourselves."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Normally candidates quit after Iowa and New Hampshire, and therefore those that remain (and those that won) see their polling rise.

This time, none of the losers have quit.
    Well, three have (Yang, Bennet and Patrick) but they really were also-rans rather than middle-rank candidates.

I've not fully checked and it gets difficult with definitions anyway but I do think that seven reasonably serious candidates - I'm not counting Gabbard - still competing going into the first state after NH (never mind less than a fortnight before Super Tuesday) is unprecedented.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Oh exactly. No matter who wins the nomination from here, getting Democrats out and united against Trump is November is already looking like a tall order.
    Except Trump will fulfil the Corbyn role of mobilising his opponents.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

The Corbyn fans like to attribute every single Labour vote as being backing for their man. That is nonsense of course. Many LAB voters on December 12th were like me – using my vote tactically to stop the Tories in the tightest LAB-CON marginal in the country. This was not a vote for Corbyn.

Except it was. Any vote for a Labour candidate was, ultimately, a vote for Corbyn to become PM. That's especially so in a marginal constituency where these votes might really make the difference nationally.

Indeed, how else could the country "stop the Tories" other than by installing Corbyn in No 10?

It might well be that many votes for Labour and hence Corbyn were of a 'least-worst' variety rather than being expressions of enthusiastic support (that was my reasoning, to the opposite conclusion), but nonetheless they had exactly the same effect as those votes which were enthusiastically given.

Absolutely. And ditto for those voting Conservative. That WAS a vote for "Boris" and for immediate Brexit of likely the Hard variety. This is simple fact. It matters not a jot how "reluctant" and "agonized" the choice was. They all count one. This is why it is not tenable for anybody who voted Tory on Dec 12th to describe themselves as a Remainer. They are not. They are Leavers.
  • Options
    Northern Ireland Update :

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    The Greens in Germany are averaging 22%.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

A vote for Corbyn over Johnson IS a vote for Corbyn. People choose one option over all the others. That is the act of voting. Same in 2019 as in every other election.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

If Corbyn's Labour "won the argument" with the Tories nicking their ideas then surely the Labour Party is now surplus to requirements and should be disbanded.

But who will then generate new ideas?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

But who will then generate new ideas?
    They can join the Tories as a pressure group.
  • Options
    Is it a safe assumption that there's going to be a complete pile-on, in the style of Murder On The Orient Express, on Michael Bloomberg tonight?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Except Trump will fulfil the Corbyn role of mobilising his opponents.
    Trump's current rating is in negative single figures. Corbyn's was in mid-double figures. That's a massive difference.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Now, none of this means Biden can't win the nomination. If Buttigieg or Klobuchar withdraws and backs him, then he's right back in contention. And I suppose he might do better than expected in Nevada, although the caucus format favours the organised, and there's not a lot of evidence of great organsation.

It's not a pure caucus this time, though. They've changed the rules to allow early voting for the first time, and the indications are that the number of people using the early-voting option is well over half the total number who took part in the caucus last time. So that might help Biden as a candidate with a strong national profile but a less good ground game, perhaps?
  • Options

Is it a safe assumption that there's going to be a complete pile-on, in the style of Murder On The Orient Express, on Michael Bloomberg tonight?

Yep.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    kinabalu said:

Absolutely. And ditto for those voting Conservative. That WAS a vote for "Boris" and for immediate Brexit of likely the Hard variety. This is simple fact. It matters not a jot how "reluctant" and "agonized" the choice was. They all count one. This is why it is not tenable for anybody who voted Tory on Dec 12th to describe themselves as a Remainer. They are not. They are Leavers.
    True but Corbyn acted like kryptonite to a section of Labour Leave voters then add on Tory Remainers who might have voted Lib Dem in Tory marginals and you end up with the perfect storm which delivered that big majority .

• Options

Buttigieg hasn't really had much of a bounce after Iowa, needs the moderate lane clearing - so needs to go after Bloomberg with Biden heading back
    Biden is staring down the barrel …
    Warren viscerally loathes Bloomberg's candidacy, even though she might be better off going after Sanders who is more in her "lane"
    Klob - Same as Buttigieg.
    & He is the absolute poster boy for Sanders billionaire message.

Bloomberg isn't a particularly compelling speaker too imo.
  • Options

Yep.
    Now might be a good moment to lay him, I suppose. He hasn't seemed especially nimble with his words till now.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, and from a betting perspective, what are the odds that - assuming he's the nominee - Sanders doesn't make it to the General?

This is a man of advancing years, who's just had a heart attack, and is involved in one of the most physically strenuous activities on the planet.

If he was sitting at home writing his memoirs, he'd probably have twenty years. But he's not. He's out in all weathers speaking, campaigning. He's probably not getting proper exercise or nutrition or sleep.

And if he did have to step down for some reason, who takes his place? It has to be Warren, I would have though.

Depends on the timing.

During or immediately after the primaries, once nominee-presumptive: perhaps Warren but we'd be in 1968 territory.

After the convention but before filing deadlines: probably the VP nominee but could be controversial if the convention was brokered.

After filing deadlines: Would have to be Sanders - even if dead - with the VP stepping up. Legal obligations on Electoral College members in enough states probably prevent any actual change of candidate.

(Also, even if he was sitting at home writing his memoirs, I doubt he'd have twenty years. He's already 78 and with a dicky ticker; he'd do very well to make his late 90s).
  • Options

Yep.
    Now might be a good moment to lay him, I suppose. He hasn't seemed especially nimble with his words till now.
    Yes, I would lay him now, except that I've already got a biggish red against him.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

Disagree. You vote according to the rules of the contest. I voted tactically for the Tories to reduce a Labour majority in a very safe Labour seat, which proved to be the case. The outcome I voted for wasn't Boris and I admit no responsibility for his majority in parliament, because I was in no way whatsoever responsible for that. The outcome I voted for was to help Labour towards the thought processes it is now having in the leadership contest. I took a slight risk but I am livably pleased with how that turned out.

I'd probably have opted to go LD in Bedford for vote building.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    edited February 2020

Surely that misses the point.

The problem was ASSUMING those votes were enthusiastically given, and so sticking with Corbyn until 2019 (and for some still wanting to stick with him/his policies).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's not a pure caucus this time, though. They've changed the rules to allow early voting for the first time, and the indications are that the number of people using the early-voting option is well over half the total number who took part in the caucus last time...
    Which suggests how much they enjoyed the experience...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's not a pure caucus this time, though. They've changed the rules to allow early voting for the first time, and the indications are that the number of people using the early-voting option is well over half the total number who took part in the caucus last time. So that might help Biden as a candidate with a strong national profile but a less good ground game, perhaps?
    It might do.

But early voters tend to be more enthused and committed voters. Other than @Quincel, I'm not convinced there are many enthusiastic or committed Biden voters.

The one thing that it does do is limit the effects of the debate this evening. A great night for Klobuchar or Warren or whoever won't have the same impact it might have done in New Hampshire.

My guess is that early voting favours the organised. That is probably good for Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg, all of whom have significant "on the ground" operations in Nevada.

So, I'm going to make a prediction. Warren will be Nevada's Klobuchar. She's going to outperform and make the 15% hurdle in most, maybe all, of Nevada's Congressional Districts. This probably limits Sanders to a high 20s score. I think Buttigieg will be roughly even with Warren, maybe taking second, but more likely third.

Biden will pick up some delegates, making the 15% bar in some (but not all) the CDs. He'll be fourth.

Klobuchar and Steyer will, I think, underperform and get zero delegates.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

It's not a pure caucus this time, though. They've changed the rules to allow early voting for the first time, and the indications are that the number of people using the early-voting option is well over half the total number who took part in the caucus last time...
    Which suggests how much they enjoyed the experience...
    Maybe! But it might simply be that these are shift workers and others who can't easily attend the caucus.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

—Rule 13.I (p. 14)[10]
    —Rule 13.J (p. 14)[10]

Thanks for that link, I had been wondering about some of the what if scenarios,

If I have red that correctly in 37 states, there is nothing written down to indicate whether or not a delegate who has been elected to support one candidate is allowed to switch to another candidate if the first candidate they were elected to support withdraws from the race.

And the national party rules are not precise ether.

Given that there is a reasonable change at the moment of this going to a contested convention, is it safe to assume that delegates in theses 37 states will be able to vote for another candidate, if/when theirs drops out? or is this potentially going to go to the courts?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I did not realise you had voted Labour last December. You appeared pretty determined not to do so on account of the Anti-Semitism issue.

OGH ended up voting Labour despite saying he never would again whilst Corbyn was leader due to that issue... still surprises me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It might do.

But early voters tend to be more enthused and committed voters. Other than @Quincel, I'm not convinced there are many enthusiastic or committed Biden voters.

The one thing that it does do is limit the effects of the debate this evening. A great night for Klobuchar or Warren or whoever won't have the same impact it might have done in New Hampshire.

My guess is that early voting favours the organised. That is probably good for Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg, all of whom have significant "on the ground" operations in Nevada.

So, I'm going to make a prediction. Warren will be Nevada's Klobuchar. She's going to outperform and make the 15% hurdle in most, maybe all, of Nevada's Congressional Districts. This probably limits Sanders to a high 20s score. I think Buttigieg will be roughly even with Warren, maybe taking second, but more likely third.

Biden will pick up some delegates, making the 15% bar in some (but not all) the CDs. He'll be fourth.

Klobuchar and Steyer will, I think, underperform and get zero delegates.
    Should Klobuchar then drop out, that might just give Buttigieg a long shot at SC, if the poll Robert posted earlier isn't a rogue one.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That has me looking at the 200/1 plus odds on her being elected President...

Any actuaries care to chime in ?
  • Options

Yep.
    Yes, I would lay him now, except that I've already got a biggish red against him.
    I may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Did Bloomberg, do a debate before the election to be New York mayor?

If so does anybody know how he got on?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Disagree. You vote according to the rules of the contest. I voted tactically for the Tories to reduce a Labour majority in a very safe Labour seat, which proved to be the case. The outcome I voted for wasn't Boris and I admit no responsibility for his majority in parliament, because I was in no way whatsoever responsible for that. The outcome I voted for was to help Labour towards the thought processes it is now having in the leadership contest. I took a slight risk but I am livably pleased with how that turned out.

I'd probably have opted to go LD in Bedford for vote building.

So who WAS responsible for the Tory majority if not people who voted Tory?
  • Options
    nova said:

The problem was ASSUMING those votes were enthusiastically given, and so sticking with Corbyn until 2019 (and for some still wanting to stick with him/his policies).
    No, that's definitely missing the point: Mike's talking about 2019, not 2017 (although it is relevant to the current Continuity Corbyn campaign).

But both points can be true; they're not either-or.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

That has me looking at the 200/1 plus odds on her being elected President...

Any actuaries care to chime in ?
    Not an actuary, but her odds have got to be better than that. Stuff happens,
  • Options
    Thank you for the thread Mike.

Yes I agree that the focus on Labour vote share is irrelevant without the context provided by the share of the other parties. The fact that the Labour vote share rose 2% between 2015 and 2019 is no comfort when the Tory vote share rose by 7%. The implosion of UKIP/BXP over that period should have returned more votes to Labour, but it didn't, because some pre 2015 Labour voters went over to the Conservatives in 2019 via UKIP in 2015.

In our system, it's the gap between the Labour and Tory party vote shares that is the key metric, and in modern history only in the 1983 election has Labour trailed further behind the Tories than happened in 2019 (and 1987) when the gap was 12%. The last time before 1983 that the gap exceeded 12% was in 1924.

In context, we need also to remember that the Tories were a shambles throughout most of 2017-2019, in contrast to the formidable election machine of Cameron and Osborne of 2010-2015. Corbyn's Labour could not capitalise only because they were in an even worse state.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

True but Corbyn acted like kryptonite to a section of Labour Leave voters then add on Tory Remainers who might have voted Lib Dem in Tory marginals and you end up with the perfect storm which delivered that big majority.

Perfect storm, it was. Re Corbyn, I think he was flattered by the GE17 result (where Brexit helped him) but in 2019 it was the opposite, he was hurt by Brexit. Take Brexit away - please! :smile: - and run a GE with pure Corbyn the man and a radical Left manifesto and IMO he scores about 240 seats.
  • Options
    What's the collective actuarial risk for Bloomberg, Biden, Sanders and Trump between here and November ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

From this paper the 7 year mortality is about 20%, but age is not a big factor, more other cardiovascular risk factors. I would expect that 20% to be quite front loaded, but as a ball park figure maybe 5% chance of a major repeat event before November.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041108013032.htm
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What's the collective actuarial risk for Bloomberg, Biden, Sanders and Trump between here and November ?

See previous thread.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

See previous thread.
    If you assume 15% mortality from COVID19 for people with health conditions near enough 80 then we're looking at ~50% collectively for the serious field :) ?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

See previous thread.
    If you assume 15% mortality from COVID19 for people with health conditions near enough 80 then we're looking at ~50% collectively for the serious field :) ?

I think we'd have other things to worry about in that scenario, though!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I suspect Mike Pence in the Oval Office with the Second Amendment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

See previous thread.

Covid 19 has significant male preponderance, but on the other hand none of these would be triaged out of ICU. Money talks.

I do wonder if the COVD 19 figures for mortality are significantly skewed because of triage. Scarce ICU beds may well go to the forty something rather than the eighty something with a heart condition.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    A slightly ominous development, with no obvious China link. Both are now RIP.

https://twitter.com/yasnaH_/status/1230097692396748802?s=19
  • Options
    "A net loss of one seat including their leader Swinson herself"
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

See previous thread.

Covid 19 has significant male preponderance, but on the other hand none of these would be triaged out of ICU. Money talks.

I do wonder if the COVD 19 figures for mortality are significantly skewed because of triage. Scarce ICU beds may well go to the forty something rather than the eighty something with a heart condition.
    I think likely to be a bit of both. Now these results have been released then it can become self-fulfilling.

But those who are calmly comparing the 0.5% rate outside of China with the higher rate in Hubei seem to keep ignoring the constraints of an overwhelmed health care system.

The rest of the world is chucking everything it knows at a handful of patients. If it cannot do that anymore we will get mortality rates similar to the Hubei figures. So that's why it's so important to be extremely risk averse about this and do everything we can to keep it out for as long as possible.

Someone replied to me this morning that the NHS was uniquely well placed because of its funding system. The delusion and wishful thinking is extremely high amongst some.
  • Options
    OGH is a closet Corbynista? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

nova said:

No, that's definitely missing the point: Mike's talking about 2019, not 2017 (although it is relevant to the current Continuity Corbyn campaign).

But both points can be true; they're not either-or.
    Clearly the vote counts the same no matter how reluctantly the pencil marks paper - so I agree that's true.

However, isn't Mike arguing that drawing conclusions about Corbyn's popularity (i.e. the net Corbyn effect in the post) simply based on vote share is wrong? Corbyn was just one factor - and a negative one for many, which was outweighed by other factors for voters including Mike.

That's the context that it "was not a vote for Corbyn".
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

See previous thread.

I think likely to be a bit of both. Now these results have been released then it can become self-fulfilling.

But those who are calmly comparing the 0.5% rate outside of China with the higher rate in Hubei seem to keep ignoring the constraints of an overwhelmed health care system.

The rest of the world is chucking everything it knows at a handful of patients. If it cannot do that anymore we will get mortality rates similar to the Hubei figures. So that's why it's so important to be extremely risk averse about this and do everything we can to keep it out for as long as possible.

Someone replied to me this morning that the NHS was uniquely well placed because of its funding system. The delusion and wishful thinking is extremely high amongst some.
    I agree, funding is much less an issue than personnel and facilities. A system with 12 hour trolley waits is not going to cope well in a pandemic. Side rooms for isolation and barrier nursing are less common than private rooms in other systems too.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Depends on the timing.

During or immediately after the primaries, once nominee-presumptive: perhaps Warren but we'd be in 1968 territory.

After the convention but before filing deadlines: probably the VP nominee but could be controversial if the convention was brokered.

After filing deadlines: Would have to be Sanders - even if dead - with the VP stepping up. Legal obligations on Electoral College members in enough states probably prevent any actual change of candidate.

(Also, even if he was sitting at home writing his memoirs, I doubt he'd have twenty years. He's already 78 and with a dicky ticker; he'd do very well to make his late 90s).
    Electoral College members used to be able to vote how they chose, how much do these legal obligations' tie them down?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

A slightly ominous development, with no obvious China link. Both are now RIP

There goes the 'it only kills East Asians' theory.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

See previous thread.

I agree, funding is much less an issue than personnel and facilities. A system with 12 hour trolley waits is not going to cope well in a pandemic. Side rooms for isolation and barrier nursing are less common than private rooms in other systems too.
    Exactly so the pop up hospitals that were mocked as being a 'dead cat' in Hubei as some sort of propaganda are actually essential to help. They are just the sort of thing we cannot do in a country with finite land, manpower, resources and a lack of political will outside of a war footing.

The idea that we can just release an extra '100 million' (lol) and fix a pandemic is just ludicrous.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

From this paper the 7 year mortality is about 20%, but age is not a big factor, more other cardiovascular risk factors. I would expect that 20% to be quite front loaded, but as a ball park figure maybe 5% chance of a major repeat event before November.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041108013032.htm
    I'm not sure it's all that physically demanding - depends how much you push yourself, but if you can easily sleep on planes etc. I suspect that you can handle it OK. I never felt fitter than when I was canvassing 8 hours a day...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,436
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

See previous thread.

Also, while the NHS, as a single massive consumer, is well-placed to strike favourable deals on the acquisition of medicines, this is no help where supplies of medicines are short and go to the highest bidder.
This discussion has been closed.