Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

Link 19: Amazon drone delivery. Wait, what, you mean it's a real proposal? I saw a thingy on Youtube and assumed it was a joke or a spoof or a comedy sketch or something.

It's real but it sounds ridiculous to me. How could it ever be cheaper than using the existing mail system?
    Amazon has a complex delivery infrastructure - some things I order arrive by US Postal Service, some by UPS, and some FedEx. It depends on size, weight and distance.

They are currently experimenting with same day delivery in major metropolitan areas in the US.
  • Options
    "Going gangbusters" is a reasonably common phrase in Australia. Never heard it in the UK.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Icelandic police have shot dead a man who was firing a shotgun in his apartment in the early hours of Monday.

It is the first time someone has been killed in an armed police operation in Iceland, officials say."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25190119
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    edited December 2013
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

Link 19: Amazon drone delivery. Wait, what, you mean it's a real proposal? I saw a thingy on Youtube and assumed it was a joke or a spoof or a comedy sketch or something.

It's real but it sounds ridiculous to me. How could it ever be cheaper than using the existing mail system?
    Amazon has a complex delivery infrastructure - some things I order arrive by US Postal Service, some by UPS, and some FedEx. It depends on size, weight and distance.

They are currently experimenting with same day delivery in major metropolitan areas in the US.
    And it's coming soon for routine medications in the NHS. As the norm, not the exception.

• Options
    "New UK Wind Energy Record - Highest Amount of Green Electricity Ever Generated By Wind - More Than 6 Gigawatts
    29 November 2013

National Grid has confirmed that a record-breaking amount of clean electricity was generated by wind power in the UK today – achieving more than 6 gigawatts (over 6,000 megawatts) for the first time.

From 2.30 till 3pm, wind power produced an average of 6,004 megawatts (MW), which accounted for 13.5% of the UK’s total electricity demand at that time – enough to power more than 3,410,000 British homes. National Grid measures electricity generation in half-hour periods."

Http://www.renewableuk.com/en/news/press-releases.cfm/2013-11-29-new-uk-wind-energy-record-highest-amount-of-green-electricity-ever-generated-by-wind-more-than-6-gigawatts#sthash.q5Z6Hnl0.dpuf
  • Options

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

And it's coming soon for routine medications in the NHS. As the norm, not the exception.

That's awesome. My little suburb of 60000 people has about 30 pharmacies, zero of which are open at night. I always thought it should be replaced by two competing stores, each with half a dozen kids doing deliveries on mopeds. They could let Pizza Hut run the whole thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Strong winds are forecast from Thursday onwards.

It'll be interesting to see whether the wind generation indicator on this webpage changes a lot at that time:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

Speaking of the NHS, I remember 8 years ago while back in the UK calling my doctor for a prescription renewal, and - after getting round the standard bullsh*t "prescriptions only issued between 10 and 11 am Tuesday and Thursday" - going to the doctor's ofice and literally picking up a piece of paper with the prescription on it and handing it in to the chemist to fill.

It was quite incredible, like being back in the 1940s.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

That's awesome. My little suburb of 60000 people has about 30 pharmacies, zero of which are open at night. I always thought it should be replaced by two competing stores, each with half a dozen kids doing deliveries on mopeds. They could let Pizza Hut run the whole thing.
    There's an argument which says that the exercise involved in walking to pharmacy to collect the medication is useful in many cases. Apparently, according to still-practising friends, it's not uncommon for patients to say that it's far too difficult, physically, for them to come out. Then when the delivery driver calls they're out, and they come to the pharmacy (not ring) to complain.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Strong winds are forecast from Thursday onwards.

It'll be interesting to see whether the wind generation indicator on this webpage changes a lot at that time:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Wind's back to about 3% now and looked to be under 2% on Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.