Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks. Nighthawks gives me the opportunity to say Let Me Entertain you with my round up of links.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Labour will win outright in 2015 and a good thing too, ed PM will be the funniest thing since Harold Lloyd stopped making movies. Discuss.
  • R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Ishmael_X said:

Labour will win outright in 2015 and a good thing too, ed PM will be the funniest thing since Harold Lloyd stopped making movies. Discuss.

Everything's relative.

I've no doubt whatsoever that Ed will be a better Prime Minister, and give us fewer comedy moments, than David Cameron.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ukraine: There are rumours, including from military sources, that the army is on its way to Kiev.

If this is confirmed, this can only end badly for someone.
  • 'David Blanchflower says about the next general election: Message to forecasters: Don’t assume that the future will turn out like the past…. Labour will win in 2015 with an outright majority of 86…! Beware of out-of-sample predictions. The two Eds will be pleased.'

Blanchflower is a faintly tragic figure. Once an esteemed academic economist he now pens fawning eulogies in obscure publications like The Independent and the New Statesman to Ed Balls of all people. Where is his pride?
  • Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Y0kel, it does sound like the situation there is rather kicking off.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Will they support the govt or the pro EU protestors though?

It is the moment of truth in a revolution when an army either fires on its people- or joins them.

I hope it is the latter.

Good evening, everyone.

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    tim said:

Ishmael_X said:

Topping the Osborne Omnishambles won't be easy, the Tories have never recovered

That would be the same Osborne whose policies Labour are currently committed to keeping.
  • Ishmael_X said:

Yes, a Miliband premiership will be catastrophic for the nation, but at least there'll be plenty of laughs along the way. When the Left turn on him (they always do in the end) it'll be for lovers of dark humour especially. I wonder how Ed will take it? I get the impression he likes to be loved.
  • Apparently the first ever death that occurred during an armed police operation in Iceland was today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25190119
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @CCHQPress: Weak Ed Miliband is set to weaken *further* in face of trade union pressure, Guardian reports: http://t.co/BzJaOGaCCZ
    Ahhhh, Omnishambles and comedy crap PM, heady days.

I ate a pasty once, jolly good it was too.

edited December 2013

Good evening, everyone.

If they don't get the people off the street sharpish, whether by can kicking, compromise, change of government or force then this thing will roll. I'd be wary of the army's position if they are to get involved. Certainly some within the government are suggesting the protests are a coup of a kind and there are vague claims of outside forces. Those are a bad combination of words on the part of the state.

So far, however, the actions of the state are relatively mild.
    Scott_P said:

@CCHQPress: Weak Ed Miliband is set to weaken *further* in face of trade union pressure, Guardian reports: http://t.co/BzJaOGaCCZ

What point are you making?
    R0berts said:

Scott_P said:

What point are you making?
    Ed is crap
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Personally I think anyone who thinks either the Tories or Labour will win a majority at the next election is living in cloud cuckoo land. It'll almost certainly be another hung parliament IMO.
    Y0kel said:

Ukraine: There are rumours, including from military sources, that the army is on its way to Kiev.

Aren't the army based in Kiev?
    edited December 2013
    seems the wrong way round to me. The bills are up £70 and you want to freeze them rather than have a £50 reduction ? Strange.
  • Incidentally, I read today that Assad has been implicated as a war criminal:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25189834

I'd say that'd make a peaceful resolution and reconcilation less likely, but given what's gone on it's hard to see how much more unlikely a good outcome for Syria could be.

Mr. Y0kel, hopefully we won't find out whether a strong response by the army will intimidate the protestors or harden their resolve.
    SeanT said:

Glasgow is Scotland's Liverpool: a once proud city now irredeemably soused in lachrymose, chav-o-Catholic selfpity, which is inexplicably devoured by 24/7 news stations. Discuss.

No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMJBQoHJ4E
    British Jobs for British Workers !!
    AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

Aren't the army based in Kiev?
    Depends what units. Kiev is also a big city, the number of military units within the capital itself is comparatively small. The major fighting units, for example if you wanted to drive tanks in or flood the place with infantry are located outside the main city the nearest large scale corps actually hubs around Zhitomir.
  • 'David Blanchflower says about the next general election: Message to forecasters: Don’t assume that the future will turn out like the past…. Labour will win in 2015 with an outright majority of 86…! Beware of out-of-sample predictions. The two Eds will be pleased.'

Blanchflower is a faintly tragic figure. Once an esteemed academic economist he now pens fawning eulogies in obscure publications like The Independent and the New Statesman to Ed Balls of all people. Where is his pride?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanchflower_v._Blanchflower
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead still at 6: CON 32%, LAB 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%
  • *** Betting Post ***

If any of the Cameron cheerleaders want to put their money where their keyboards are then:

Paddy Power
    Weaver Vale - Con 5/1

By comparison PP have Con Maj at 3/1
  • seems the wrong way round to me. The bills are up £70 and you want to freeze them rather than have a £50 reduction ? Strange.
    Sounds as if Labour's energy policy is mired in confusion. Are they now going to legislate to bring bills in 2015 down to 2013 levels? Personally, I think all tinkering with the free market is idiotic and dangerous, but you have to say that Dave, in cahoots with the energy industry, has shot Miliband's fox guilefully.

Sounds as if Labour's energy policy is mired in confusion.

Did the shadow energy spokesperson not say today "you can't control energy prices"?

seems the wrong way round to me. The bills are up £70 and you want to freeze them rather than have a £50 reduction ? Strange.
    Sounds as if Labour's energy policy is mired in confusion. Are they now going to legislate to bring bills in 2015 down to 2013 levels? Personally, I think all tinkering with the free market is idiotic and dangerous, but you have to say that Dave, in cahoots with the energy industry, has shot Miliband's fox guilefully.
    I'd be surprised if Labour actually had a policy on energy, or anything else for that matter. I think the bigger fox shooter will turn out to be Iran coming back on stream which may well stabilise energy prices if not actually lead to a reduction in wholesale prices by 2015.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    SeanT said:

A frankly pathetic death toll from the Glasgow pubchopper disaster-ette.

9. NINE. Count that NINE.

Not even double figures. But there is a dog missing.

Watching BBC24 you'd think this was a combination of 9/11 and the Great Asian Tsunami, only with more haggis, possibly poisoned.

Glasgow is Scotland's Liverpool: a once proud city now irredeemably soused in lachrymose, chav-o-Catholic selfpity, which is inexplicably devoured by 24/7 news stations. Discuss.

Not a pleasant way to speak of a tragic accident even if it is designed to provoke

• SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

What are you on about?Prices were due to go up by £120 but after the £50 reduction,they still go up by £70.There`s no plan for further reduction only a `price freeze` till spring 2015.
    Goes against the grain of libertarian free market principles, but whats so wrong with government providing gas, electricity and water for the first £150 per month, then letting the companies charge what they like thereafter?
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Watching BBC24 you'd think this was a combination of 9/11 and the Great Asian Tsunami, only with more haggis, possibly poisoned.

Not a pleasant way to speak of a tragic accident even if it is designed to provoke

Never mind professional trolls like SeanT, can I have a wee 20 quid on that Lib Dem/UKIP bet you were offering on the last thread? For charity, preferably?
    SMukesh said:

What are you on about?Prices were due to go up by £120 but after the £50 reduction,they still go up by £70.There`s no plan for further reduction only a `price freeze` till spring 2015.
    so your plan is therefore to have a freeze at £120 rather than a £50 reduction ? Even stranger.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    tim said:

Things sound bad in Fop Central

@benedictbrogan: The Conservative Party is in danger of dying on its knees http://t.co/D4HIoa5C28

"Yet news that should give the Tories something to cheer about is being met with nervousness. MPs worry that the good news will not translate into election victory. "

Tory MPs really are some of the most useless individuals, even Labour in 2009 when the economy was falling to pieces managed to behave with a bit more fight.
  • Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    SeanT said:

Selective recall. The Great London Chopper Disaster of Jan 13 got more column inches, for a total one pilot and one pedestrian.

SMukesh said:

so your plan is therefore to have a freeze at £120 rather than a £50 reduction ? Even stranger.
    The policy is to freeze prices from 2015 May till January 2017.Since energy companies are acquiescing to the government`s request to freeze prices till Spring 2015,you can bet your bottom dollar that we are due for humungous price rises from May 2015 unless Labour are voted into power.
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

The policy is to freeze prices from 2015 May till January 2017.Since energy companies are acquiescing to the government`s request to freeze prices till Spring 2015,you can bet your bottom dollar that we are due for humungous price rises from May 2015 unless Labour are voted into power.
    I wouldn't bet anything of the sort. Labour and Miliband did bugger all to sort out energy policies when in power and quite happily ratcheted up prices via taxtion. They'll do the same again, and then you'll be on blogging why price increases are a good thing.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    £50 off energy bills doesn't sound like a great deal.

Is it possible there will be something extra in the Autumn Statement? Two options:

1) Extra Winter Fuel payment - to be paid in Jan or Feb (and then have two payments again next winter)

2) Reduce VAT on energy bills. Currently 5% - reduce to 3% (or even 0%)
    R0berts said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Never mind professional trolls like SeanT, can I have a wee 20 quid on that Lib Dem/UKIP bet you were offering on the last thread? For charity, preferably?
    £20 at 4/6 yes youre on

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

I wouldn't bet anything of the sort. Labour and Miliband did bugger all to sort out energy policies when in power and quite happily ratcheted up prices via taxtion. They'll do the same again, and then you'll be on blogging why price increases are a good thing.
    He`s made a pledge that he`ll freeze prices if voted to power and that`s what he`ll do.Besides energy prices fell by £100 during Ed`s stint as energy secretary.
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

He`s made a pledge that he`ll freeze prices if voted to power and that`s what he`ll do.Besides energy prices fell by £100 during Ed`s stint as energy secretary.
    So if world energy prices fall by £100 again the freeze will make sure we don't get the benefit ? Confused politics.
    isam said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

£20 at 4/6 yes youre on
    Cool. For charity, yeah?

Remind me when the time comes, if I'm still posting, I don't jib but I do forget (antifrank, think I've got a similar Clegg / Salmond bet with you, same goes!)
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Besides energy prices fell by £100 during Ed`s stint as energy secretary.
    Do you have a source for that?

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

So if world energy prices fall by £100 again the freeze will make sure we don't get the benefit ? Confused politics.
    You are the one who is confused.Look back at the last few years and point out how many times the energy prices have gone down.Generally they only go one way and that`s up.

And now having to stave off price rises inorder to support a Conservative government,the companies will be waiting for May 2015 for prices to blast into orbit.
    That Brogan article below about trouble at t'Tory Mill is very interesting, given the author.

I'm not sure how to read it. Brogan doesn't usually seem to write anything without a green light, of course.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Yeah, right. His track record at DECC was *so* good. Leaving aside the possible upcoming generation shortages (see discussions passim), you might also like to look at (1)

Tell me, what will he do if wholesale energy costs increase in those twenty months? Or does he really think he is Canute?

(1): http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/the-seven-green-taxes-that-put-112-on-your-energy-bill-and-which-of-them-ed-miliband-brought-in/
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Poor even by his standards
    R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

£20 at 4/6 yes youre on
    Cool. For charity, yeah?

Remind me when the time comes, if I'm still posting, I don't jib but I do forget (antifrank, think I've got a similar Clegg / Salmond bet with you, same goes!)
    The winner donates the dough to the site?

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Yeah, right. His track record at DECC was *so* good. Leaving aside the possible upcoming generation shortages (see discussions passim), you might also like to look at (1)

Tell me, what will he do if wholesale energy costs increase in those twenty months? Or does he really think he is Canute?

(1): http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/the-seven-green-taxes-that-put-112-on-your-energy-bill-and-which-of-them-ed-miliband-brought-in/
    Then the energy companies can subsidise our through their vast profits. Suck it up.
    isam said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

R0berts said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

£20 at 4/6 yes youre on
    Cool. For charity, yeah?

The winner donates the dough to the site?
    Charity of choice!
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

You are the one who is confused.Look back at the last few years and point out how many times the energy prices have gone down.Generally they only go one way and that`s up.

And now having to stave off price rises inorder to support a Conservative government,the companies will be waiting for May 2015 for prices to blast into orbit.
    But you just said energy prices dropped when Ed was at DECC. So is it a one way street or not ? I mean if you're claiming Ed can single handedly set the price for crude oil then he's wasting his time in politics he should be out earning for Britain and making amends for £1trn labour pissed up the wall.
    JonathanD said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/did_ed_miliband_lower_fuel_bills_but_increase_energy_company_profits-28556
  • SeanT said:

Ironic coming from someone who sat quivering in his hairdressers' car as civilisation crumbled under the onslaught of the 'UK' riots.

'I'm bloody telling you, it was definitely a police siren. The humanity, oh, the humanity.'
    R0berts said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Then the energy companies can subsidise our through their vast profits. Suck it up.
    Evidence for that? Do you know their margins, or is it just guesswork? Can we see some figures?

Actually, it must be guesswork as you have no idea how large any increase might be. Canute must be praying the tide will be ebbing in 2015, rather than flowing ...
    JonathanD said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

pure spin.

Miliband was at DECC as the economic crisis broke Oct 2008 to 2010. So the world market in commodities crashes. oil chief among them and he's claiming the credit for lower energy prices. Stupid even by Labour's standards.

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Is that the same taxes that the Tories under Cameron voted for in Parliament?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    MikeL said:

Is it possible there will be something extra in the Autumn Statement? Two options:

1) Extra Winter Fuel payment - to be paid in Jan or Feb (and then have two payments again next winter)

The latter (said he, eyeing Dominic Grieve nervously) is against EU rules. The 5% discounts are maximum special-case reductions, except where we had an exemption before joining the EC (food, children's clothes, newspapers).

There have been various other minor sweeteners mentioned. If you buy a new house you will get £1000 to do green stuff to it (but if it's new, do you really want to start by replacing the boiler?). Petrol prices will be frozen for a year, or perhaps for 20 months, in pleasing symmetry to Ed's fuel freeze. Vaguely recall some other bits and bobs too - it was all in the Sunday Telegraph, I think.

This week will thoroughly test the stability of that 6-point lead. With Cameron all over the news getting half-promises of Chinese money (they may pay for HS2, or even build the thing for us, says the Standard) and Osborne showering gifts, it'll be interesting to see what happens. My guess is that the gap will indeed narrow for a week or so, then widen back to 6.

SMukesh said:

JonathanD said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/did_ed_miliband_lower_fuel_bills_but_increase_energy_company_profits-28556

Great, so the reduction in bills was all down to the drop in gas costs (a result of the recession) and at the same time energy company profits went from -£30 per customer to +£55 per customer. I'd imagine the energy companies will be quite keen to get Ed back in so they can return to making bumper profits.
  • Jeremy *unt being a very naughty boy again. Lost a Court case and an appeal trying to close Lewisham Hospital under very dubious reasoning, now trying to slip in an amendment into a bill which would give him the right to close any hospital with out taking local concerns and community into account.http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/jeremy-hunt-should-resign-and-take-his-hospital-closure-clause-with-him/?state=thanks

R0berts said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Evidence for that? Do you know their margins, or is it just guesswork? Can we see some figures?

Actually, it must be guesswork as you have no idea how large any increase might be. Canute must be praying the tide will be ebbing in 2015, rather than flowing ...
    I'm sure Miliband as PM will be pragmatic enough to be flexible if there's some huge global energy price crisis during the freeze period.

If it's just the usual case of the energy companies continuing to want to screw us blind because they can't do their job properly, then they can take a hit on their profits and suck it up.
  • Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited December 2013
    An interesting rift in judicial opinion, on the effect of the judgment of the Strasbourg court in Vinter and others v United Kingdom, has emerging among the senior judiciary. Flaux and Sweeney JJ clearly believe that the imposition of a whole life order is now contrary to section 6 of the Human Rights Act 1998. By contrast, following the plea of guilty in R v Reynolds today at the Crown Court at Stafford, Wilkie J has said he is considering the imposition of a whole life order in the case, while Jeremy Baker J has already imposed whole life orders since the judgment in Vinter. The need for the Court of Appeal to determine this highly contentious issue is now every more apparent.
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Is that the same taxes that the Tories under Cameron voted for in Parliament?
    Yes.

Some of these taxes make sense (waits for howls from some). I have some concerns about companies pushing for insulation of homes that should not have it it - see my post from the other morning - but generally moving some of the non-energy related items to general taxation seems a sensible move.
    JonathanD said:

SMukesh said:

JonathanD said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Great, so the reduction in bills was all down to the drop in gas costs (a result of the recession) and at the same time energy company profits went from -£30 per customer to +£55 per customer. I'd imagine the energy companies will be quite keen to get Ed back in so they can return to making bumper profits.
    Or not judging from their response to the government`s proposal and willingness to freeze prices till the election,they are desperate to avoid a Labour government.
    @Nick Palmer

"Petrol prices will be frozen for a year, or perhaps for 20 months, in pleasing symmetry to Ed's fuel freeze."

You do understand that its the fuel duty on petrol that has been frozen not the actual prices themselves?
    R0berts said:

R0berts said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

I'm sure Miliband as PM will be pragmatic enough to be flexible if there's some huge global energy price crisis during the freeze period.

If it's just the usual case of the energy companies continuing to want to screw us blind because they can't do their job properly, then they can take a hit on their profits and suck it up.
    You want the energy companies to base future investment on Ed being pragmatic? Really? With his track record?

MikeL said:

The latter (said he, eyeing Dominic Grieve nervously) is against EU rules. The 5% discounts are maximum special-case reductions, except where we had an exemption before joining the EC (food, children's clothes, newspapers).

There have been various other minor sweeteners mentioned. If you buy a new house you will get £1000 to do green stuff to it (but if it's new, do you really want to start by replacing the boiler?). Petrol prices will be frozen for a year, or perhaps for 20 months, in pleasing symmetry to Ed's fuel freeze. Vaguely recall some other bits and bobs too - it was all in the Sunday Telegraph, I think.

This week will thoroughly test the stability of that 6-point lead. With Cameron all over the news getting half-promises of Chinese money (they may pay for HS2, or even build the thing for us, says the Standard) and Osborne showering gifts, it'll be interesting to see what happens. My guess is that the gap will indeed narrow for a week or so, then widen back to 6.

Might do, but Osborne is at his worst when he over-thinks the politics. And the Tories have been so wrong-footed by Miliband, no doubt they're thinking real hard.

Don't worry about the lead, just the Labour share. 37 and you have a majority any way up.

R0berts said:

R0berts said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

You want the energy companies to base future investment on Ed being pragmatic? Really? With his track record?
    Because they've been investing so successfully and munificently in our infrastructure whilst hiking our prices and raking in vast profits for so long.

MikeL said:

Apparently Osborne has got a rabbit of a dramatic reduction in the deficit and Avery hinted at this here.Unless he`s able to do this I don`t think the autumn statement is going to make a big difference.
  • BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @NickP FPT

My main issue with e-fags is they are too bloody strong. There just seems to be a LOT of nicotine in them, so much you can spin out if you are sitting around a restaurant table with free flowing wine. Some bright spark needs to invent a non intrusive way of the e-fags pausing when you have had a normal fag's worth, so it's easier to self regulate.
    R0berts said:

R0berts said:

R0berts said:

Because they've been investing so successfully and munificently in our infrastructure whilst hiking our prices and raking in vast profits for so long.
    They've been wanting to invest. Firstly, they cannot just build; they have to get permission. Hence power stations waiting for planning permission, or the long, drawn out saga of the Beuly-Denny transmission line.

Secondly, in the old days it was simpler; now we have green energy and more complex pricing to complicate matters.

Thirdly, managing the network is much more complex nowadays, with the variable loading that intermittent energy sources put onto the grid. The network is always fairly precarious, and you only have to look at recent problems in the US and Canada to see what happens when things go wrong.

Fourthly, the profits may be 'vast' (but so are Tescos - is Ed going to have a 'food freeze'?), but so are the amounts needed for investment.

Ed made it impossible for new coal-fired stations to be built in the UK when he demanded that any new such power stations have the untried-at-large-scale CCS technology. Strangely, this occurred a short period after he got harangued by a c-list celebrity about Kingsnorth.

And Germany are building new coal-fired stations. The economy of such might or might not be right at the moment here in the UK, but it would be blooming nice to have the option.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/mar/16/kingsnorth-pete-postlethwaite
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

I see they wheeled out the popcorn toothed manager of the local football club to come and visit the site - for no reason. The same cretin who famously hid in the changing rooms so he wouldn't have to respect a minutes silence for a tragedy where 66 people died.

Glasgow has to man up fast or indeed it is Liverpooling down the mawk toilet.

R0berts said:

R0berts said:

R0berts said:

They've been wanting to invest. Firstly, they cannot just build; they have to get permission. Hence power stations waiting for planning permission, or the long, drawn out saga of the Beuly-Denny transmission line.

Secondly, in the old days it was simpler; now we have green energy and more complex pricing to complicate matters.

Thirdly, managing the network is much more complex nowadays, with the variable loading that intermittent energy sources put onto the grid. The network is always fairly precarious, and you only have to look at recent problems in the US and Canada to see what happens when things go wrong.

Fourthly, the profits may be 'vast' (but so are Tescos - is Ed going to have a 'food freeze'?), but so are the amounts needed for investment.

Ed made it impossible for new coal-fired stations to be built in the UK when he demanded that any new such power stations have the untried-at-large-scale CCS technology. Strangely, this occurred a short period after he got harangued by a c-list celebrity about Kingsnorth.

And Germany are building new coal-fired stations. The economy of such might or might not be right at the moment here in the UK, but it would be blooming nice to have the option.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/mar/16/kingsnorth-pete-postlethwaite
    They can't look after our energy infrastructure because it's all too difficult and complicated for them, so they just rake in massive profits by hiking our bills instead.

The poor lambs.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545

MikeL said:

I think that the Government is free to decide what attracts VAT (e.g. pasties) but cannot have more than 2 rates (currently 20% and 5%) I am not a lawyer though. So they would be allowed to remove VAT from fuel, but not to reduce the rate to 3%

If I was in charge, I'd look at reducing the rate of interest on Green Deal loans as my top priority. The scheme works by the Government analysing what improvements your home needs and then lending you money to make them, with your savings then paying off the loan. However interest is charged at 8% making it less economic and arguable that you'd do better going to the bank instead. anecdotally this is causing schemes not to proceed after quotes have been generated so this would be my priority policy ask at the mo
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Ironic coming from someone who sat quivering in his hairdressers' car as civilisation crumbled under the onslaught of the 'UK' riots.

'I'm bloody telling you, it was definitely a police siren. The humanity, oh, the humanity.'
    I have been personally kidnapped, and held at gunpoint, by Hezbollah, DURING AN ISRAELI AIR RAID in the Lebanon, which was slaughtering people all around me, and was targeted at the Hezbollah HQ where I was detained, and nearly murdered.

You? What have you done? YOU POST ON A F*CKING POLITICAL BETTING WEBSITE. YOU LIVE IN DUNDEE. THE MOST DARING THING YOU EVER DID WAS EAT A SCOTCH PIE THREE DAYS PAST ITS SELL BY.

What has ANYONE on PB EVER F*CKING done which comes within three light years of ABOUT 3% OF MY LIFE HISTORY?

I've DONE TIME in WORMWOOD SCRUBS for ALLEGEDLY RAPING A BEAUTIFUL HEIRESS, who is now extremely FAMOUS. I was a HEROIN ADDICT for THIRTEEN YEARS and OVERDOSED SIX TIMES, the last two times CLOSE TO FATALLY.

I LIKE to use CAPITALS.

I have been FRONT PAGE NEWS FOR BESMIRCHING THE COUSIN OF THE QUEEN. I NEARLY DIED IN A KNIFE FIGHT OVER HEROIN IN MARSEILLES.

I AM PAID £500,000 A YEAR TO WRITE LUDICROUS BOLLOCKS. I TOOK THE FIRST ECSTASY PILL IN ICELAND (IN 1986). I AM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

And Glasgow should get over itself. A sad thing happened, but thousands die on global motorways every day.
    Lol! Your saving grace is your self-awareness, I have to say. Love it.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I have been personally kidnapped, and held at gunpoint, by Hezbollah, DURING AN ISRAELI AIR RAID in the Lebanon, which was slaughtering people all around me, and was targeted at the Hezbollah HQ where I was detained, and nearly murdered.

You? What have you done? YOU POST ON A F*CKING POLITICAL BETTING WEBSITE. YOU LIVE IN DUNDEE. THE MOST DARING THING YOU EVER DID WAS EAT A SCOTCH PIE THREE DAYS PAST ITS SELL BY.

What has ANYONE on PB EVER F*CKING done which comes within three light years of ABOUT 3% OF MY LIFE HISTORY?

I've DONE TIME in WORMWOOD SCRUBS for ALLEGEDLY RAPING A BEAUTIFUL HEIRESS, who is now extremely FAMOUS. I was a HEROIN ADDICT for THIRTEEN YEARS and OVERDOSED SIX TIMES, the last two times CLOSE TO FATALLY.

I LIKE to use CAPITALS.

I have been FRONT PAGE NEWS FOR BESMIRCHING THE COUSIN OF THE QUEEN. I NEARLY DIED IN A KNIFE FIGHT OVER HEROIN IN MARSEILLES.

I AM PAID £500,000 A YEAR TO WRITE LUDICROUS BOLLOCKS. I TOOK THE FIRST ECSTASY PILL IN ICELAND (IN 1986). I AM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

And Glasgow should get over itself. A sad thing happened, but thousands die on global motorways every day.
    SeanT

Was it you who was found wondering along the Trans Siberian Railway without knowing how you'd got there.

I definately know someone that has happened to but can't remember who.

And you're the obvious choice.
    tpfkar said:

I think that the Government is free to decide what attracts VAT (e.g. pasties) but cannot have more than 2 rates (currently 20% and 5%) I am not a lawyer though. So they would be allowed to remove VAT from fuel, but not to reduce the rate to 3%

Don't think anything can be reduced under 5% now, though we could specify some more 5% things, see

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/

"Given that EU law only requires that the standard VAT rate must be at least 15% and the reduced rate at least 5% (only for supplies of goods and services referred to in an exhaustive list), actual rates applied vary between Member States and between certain types of products. In addition, certain Member States have retained separate rules in specific areas."
  • SMukesh said:

JonathanD said:

SMukesh said:

JonathanD said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Or not judging from their response to the government`s proposal and willingness to freeze prices till the election,they are desperate to avoid a Labour government.
    Now I understand why the banks wont lend to SME and pay such low rates to savers.

The bankers are desperate to get their Labour mates back into government so they can have another round of handouts.
    edited December 2013
    Yes, Sean definitely back on form there. Inimitable! (Imagine if there were two?)

tim said:

@benedictbrogan: The Conservative Party is in danger of dying on its knees http://t.co/D4HIoa5C28

"Going gangbusters" should be placed on the verboten list forthwith - one of those horrid buzz phrases that catches on among the lobby, cf kicking the can down the road
    Bobajob said:

tim said:

"Going gangbusters" should be placed on the verboten list forthwith - one of those horrid buzz phrases that catches on among the lobby, cf kicking the can down the road
    "Barnacles off the boat"
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I LIKE to use CAPITALS.

You're evidently suffering from a bad case of drama envy.

• Bobajob said:

tim said:

I've never come across it before and I sincerely hope I never come across it again.

Does anyone actually use phrases like that in real life and if so do they realise they sound like an imbecile ?
    R0berts said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I LIKE to use CAPITALS.

Lol! Your saving grace is your self-awareness, I have to say. Love it.
    Quite right.
  • I use the phrase "opening a can of whoop ass" regularly.

I feel deeply embarrassed every time I do so.
  • SeanT, I once gave the members of the EDL a history lesson, when they said immigration to this country was an insult to the heirs of St George.

Sod your Hezbollah story.

I win.
    The Brogan piece is baffling - he, or perhaps the Tory Party, seems to swing from "it'll be fine" to "we are all doomed" at four-day intervals.

Who was it who said Conservatives have but two states of mind, complacency, and panic?
    R0berts said:

Bobajob said:

tim said:

"Barnacles off the boat"
    Yes, that as well. Throw it to the lions.

Bobajob said:

tim said:

I've never come across it before and I sincerely hope I never come across it again.

Does anyone actually use phrases like that in real life and if so do they realise they sound like an imbecile ?
    I have never heard it uttered. Yet I have read it at least ten times in the past fortnight.
  • Item 2 is in the Guardian, so it must be accurate.

That means Ed's flunked it as I predicted, right?
  • Item 2 is in the Guardian, so it must be accurate.

That means Ed's flunked it as I predicted, right?

No, no.

All of PB's Labour supporters assured us that Ed was brilliant and courageous when dealing with the Trade Unions.

The Guardian is wrong.
    edited December 2013
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    re: Tom Daley

Good on him. It was very smart to do it through YouTube, too - he wrote the headline & story himself. Who needs hacks?
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @RichardNabavi

'Item 2 is in the Guardian, so it must be accurate.

That means Ed's flunked it as I predicted, right?'

Didn't take McCluskey long to get little Ed back into line.
    edited December 2013
    Bit of a bizarre story — a 74 year-old Conservative councillor from Oxfordshire has been found guilty of stealing £150,000 from a 92 year-old woman, the majority of which he spent on gambling slot machines at service stations and in Las Vegas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25189297

He's still a member of Vale of White Horse council, and Vice-Chairman of the Planning Committee:

http://whitehorsedc.moderngov.co.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=492
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Dating update:-

i) The Scouser whose husband works away (said he works in London for the Immigration Service- suppose he might be 'inside' in reality) and who gets 'lonely'...

ii) The Wirral bookworm whose 'friend' slipped me her phone number when we bumped into her on our date. Tempted.

iii) The 5'11 sexy Russian who 'doesn't want a relationship', but is happy to share my bed once a week. Heavily into kink. Brought whips and toys with her on our second date... Even offered unprompted to find a girlfriend for a threesome. Perhaps SeanT could advise on this one...

;-)
  • SeanT said:

you London types started it with the Diana funeral.

Thence a new age of mawk began.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Link 19: Amazon drone delivery. Wait, what, you mean it's a real proposal? I saw a thingy on Youtube and assumed it was a joke or a spoof or a comedy sketch or something.
    JohnLoony said:

Link 19: Amazon drone delivery. Wait, what, you mean it's a real proposal? I saw a thingy on Youtube and assumed it was a joke or a spoof or a comedy sketch or something.

It's real but it sounds ridiculous to me. How could it ever be cheaper than using the existing mail system?
  • JohnLoony said:

Imagine the sport on Britain's classiest housing estates. There'll be kids jumping on and trying to fly the things, shoot them down, burn them. jolly japes.

Also, a whole new means of citizen surveillance paid for by the citizens. Just like everyone is now carrying tracking device iphones, paid for by themselves so the govt (or the American govt) can follow them at any time.

for a bonus 1 click payment, russian oligarchs can deliver a wee shot of bonus polonium

consumer joy

• Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Oh dear - the US government now claims that the Obamacare website team is operating "with private sector velocity and effectiveness."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/12/01/chuck_todd_praising_private_sector_velocity_of_obamacare_website_is_an_indictment_of_government.html
This discussion has been closed.