Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We may not have the Iowa results yet but punters think Biden w

124»

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,638

If not Dave, then Osborne might take it. He was a big supporter of tidal lagoons and instigated the Hendry Review into them.
    The problem with tidal lagoons is that

1) They cost alot - building in the surf zone is er.... fun
    2) You can have a lovely decade long planning enquiry. Lots and lots of lovely people employed in that
    3) It's Big Infrastructure. So it would be unfair not to employ one of the firms that will get it done for only 300% of the original estimate.

By contrast Tesla Megapacks are below $300K per MWh and falling. Since they basically a shipping container, you might not even need planning permission to stack them next to your power plant....
    Tesla Mega-packs: rare earth metals required ???

Tidal lagoons: rare earth metals required 0
    The important things to remember about Rare Earths are - They aren't rare and they aren't earths.

Someone then mutters something about proven reserves. This means they don't understand the concept.

Cobalt isn't a rare earth - and it is not being used in the next generation of batteries (starting this year, I believe). It isn't rare either.

Lithium isn't a rare earth and isn't rare either.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

If not Dave, then Osborne might take it. He was a big supporter of tidal lagoons and instigated the Hendry Review into them.

2) You can have a lovely decade long planning enquiry. Lots and lots of lovely people employed in that
    3) It's Big Infrastructure. So it would be unfair not to employ one of the firms that will get it done for only 300% of the original estimate.

By contrast Tesla Megapacks are below $300K per MWh and falling. Since they basically a shipping container, you might not even need planning permission to stack them next to your power plant....
    Tesla Megapacks sounds like an excellent name for a Bond girl.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599

The important things to remember about Rare Earths are - They aren't rare and they aren't earths.

Someone then mutters something about proven reserves. This means they don't understand the concept.

Cobalt isn't a rare earth - and it is not being used in the next generation of batteries (starting this year, I believe). It isn't rare either.

Why are you so anti tidal?
  • Options

On the plus side, they're built out at sea where there are very few back gardens, listed buildings and rare species of orchid. The structures seem quite simple, with relatively few pitfalls (compared with nuclear for example). So there's every chance they could come in on budget.

On the previous comment, I think Osborne is still contentious in a way that Cameron is not (perhaps unfairly). Gordon Brown or Alistair Darling might be ok alternatives.
    You haven't encountered the full joy joy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKXO02VGrQ0) of the Planning Enquiry Industrial Complex, have you? They believe that 5 year planning enquiries are a human right.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Who wants to bet the promised Iowa partial results at 10pm are delayed by at least 15 minutes?

I'm expecting another all nighter
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,856

The Dildo Brothers really are sensitive to criticism, nearly as much as Boris Johnson.

A West Ham supporter who wore an anti-board T-shirt while volunteering as a pitchside flag-waver before last week’s game against Liverpool at the London Stadium has been banned by the club from attending any of their matches for the rest of the season.

Cameron Robson took the opportunity to protest against West Ham’s beleaguered board when he volunteered to wave a giant club flag before Liverpool’s 2-0 win. Robson, a season-ticket holder, unzipped his jacket to reveal a T-shirt with the message “GSB OUT” – a reference to the club’s co-owners, David Gold and David Sullivan, and the vice-chair, Karren Brady. He had passed through stadium security while wearing the top under his jacket.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/04/west-ham-ban-fan-for-wearing-anti-board-t-shirt-at-pitchside

I'm officially fearful for West Ham's EPL survival chances this season :(
    They are the worst team that I have seen this season.
  • Options

These energy ideas just ebb and flow with predictable regularity...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Quincel said:

Who wants to bet the promised Iowa partial results at 10pm are delayed by at least 15 minutes?

Does Lady Smithson know?

Oh, you mean.....
  • Options
    Biden appears to have been drinking the same Kool-Aid as Jezza...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeY-maVo6a0
  • Options

1. Power price is midway between wind and nuclear. Even building in the surf zone.

2. Planning is done for Swansea, largely done for Cardiff. They are but a fraction of the time for a nuclear plant. With good reason. It's mostly building a wall in the surf zone.

3. It is mostly building a wall in the surf zone. Hard to hide the 300% uplift there. (Oil and gas projects required us to build small towns on stilts in the North Sea to survive the 100 year wave. They had a 10% contingency. Exceed that - and you got the role as operator taken off you. This is private sector money we are talking.)

1) Price - so lots. The original proposals fell over because the government wasn't prepared to subsidise the power produced to the level required, after all.

2) The plans have been drawn up - but have the Planning Vampyres had their blood yet?

3) Ha Ha Ha. Yes, if you got Oil industry people to do it, it might come in something like cost. but until you've actually demo'd your wall in the surf zone - and more importantly, the turbines and generators in the surf zone.....

When I worked in the Oil industry, every year we would get the designs for tidal generation stuff handed to us - usually by a investors or government asking if it would work. The engineers would look at them and be polite. Occasionally something would get built. And last 2 storms at most.

The most sensible tide generation schemes I've seen involve sinking turbines underwater, midway between the surface and the bottom - usually on a pylon. Think a wind turbine, but for water. This gets you out of the wave action and away from the particulates at the bottom.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,037
    Ah, there is a bit of a distinction here.

Back in the early days MEPs started congregating into cross-national groups in the European Parliament. This caucusing was encouraged and later formalised and became the "political groups of the European Parliament". For reasons beyond my ken they are frequently referred to as "groupings", which annoys the pedant in me (see also "regimen" Vs "regime"). Such a group is made up of individual MEPs

Around the turn of the century, in an effort to encourage crossborder politics, the concept of a "political party at the European level" was born, which would be made up of national political parties (some individual people joined as individuals, but I don't think it caught on). This concept is sometimes referred to as a "Europarty" and was disdained in the UK, mostly because Europe but also because people think a political party should be a single organisation made up of individuals (there are numerous exceptions but that's a separate argument).

The two concepts are distinct, although frequently elided because the names are similar and because MEPs in grouping X will belong to national political parties who are in turn members of Europarty X.

So a Non-EU political party may belong to a Europarty, but a Non-EU party has no MEPs to be members of the similarly named grouping.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Does Lady Smithson know?

Oh, you mean.....
    You need to get your mind out of the gutter.

Be clean minded like me.
  • Options

God he looks old.

On topics, what chance this whole screwup is a carefully orchestrated stunt on behalf of the Iowa Tourism Board? I assume that, once the results are out, their state reverts to being an unremarkable backwater for the next 3.95 or so years...
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Isn’t part of the point of the caucus system though that voters are supposed to change their minds during the debates?

• Options
    alex_ said:

Isn’t part of the point of the caucus system though that voters are supposed to change their minds during the debates?

Only those in support of canditates with <15% at teh precinct are directly targetted, although of course people could turn up and go round and listen to people of their own accord
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Iowa can't be polled imho.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited February 2020
    The Iowa Democratic Party Chair is currently drowning under questioning.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Only those in support of canditates with <15% at teh precinct are directly targetted, although of course people could turn up and go round and listen to people of their own accord</p>
    While clearly the reporting needs fixing, I rather like the Iowa Caucus. It requires a bit more thought than a simple AV system.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Endillion said:

God he looks old.

On topics, what chance this whole screwup is a carefully orchestrated stunt on behalf of the Iowa Tourism Board? I assume that, once the results are out, their state reverts to being an unremarkable backwater for the next 3.95 or so years...
    He has an oddly reanimated look. Sanders looks old in a more conventional way.

• Options
    Dem spokesman - "the results are coming in"

• Options
    Top ten reasons why millennials are amazed at clickbait. Number seven will shock you...
  • Options
    I imagine Trump isn't going to shut about this for months.
  • Options

I'm not anti-tidal. What I am pointing out is that to many people's surprise (including mine) the energy storage option of using massive battery arrays has already dropped to a point where it is cheaper than pumped storage... Dinorwig could be replicated for less than £2 billion.

When you add in the fact that you can smoothly scale from a single shipping container upwards and put it where you need it easily....

The main thing holding it back is capacity in battery manufacturing. But that is coming.
  • Options
    Mayor Pete ahead on 62% of reported vote.
  • Options
    62% reporting apparently. Movement on Betfair - Pete in massively, Bernie out to evens.
  • Options
    Price says he will report 62 percent of precincts from all 99 counties.
    Troy Price, the chairman of the Iowa Democratic Party, addressed the news media Tuesday afternoon one day after the Iowa caucuses.

Mr. Price said, “The reporting of the results and circumstances surrounding the 2020 Iowa Democratic Party caucuses were unacceptable. As chair of the party I apologize deeply for this.”

NYT
  • Options

Well he hasn't been drinking of the Fountain of Youth for sure......
  • Options
    Serious question. Do we have any ideas about why Mayor Pete appears to have done so well in Iowa?
  • Options

Told you all to lay the old dudes in this race.

I am Nostradamus reincarnated.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    4.5 tickets + Bloomberg out of Iowa.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,453
    edited February 2020

Wow. Pete on 1.31
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Dem spokesman - "the results are coming in"

'coming in' maybe but there not coming out........
  • Options

Serious question. Do we have any ideas about why Mayor Pete appears to have done so well in Iowa?

In political terms, very even support.

However in caucus terms, organisation, organisation, organisation

• Options
    Very close on popular vote between Bernie and Pete B. No wonder the Mayor made that barnstorming speech last night, a good night for him.
  • Options

Price says he will report 62 percent of precincts from all 99 counties...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M

• Options
    Endillion said:

God he looks old.

Time to hand to a new generation. Go Pete.
  • Options

Well he hasn't been drinking of the Fountain of Youth for sure......
    Back being pushed up against the wall, needing to reach down deep, Joe Biden goes out and delivers... a typical Joe Biden performance.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

He spent almost 24/7 for the last 6 months in Iowa
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    If these results are accurate, they're just about the best possible Iowa result for Sanders (short of him getting an even higher %, that is). Biden, who was looking like his only serious opposition, fell off a cliff, and because Pete, Liz and Amy all overperformed, there's no clear candidate for the anti-Bernie vote to coalesce around. Pete being in 2nd helps muddy the anti-Bernie water even further because there's no apparent path for him after NH.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited February 2020

Wow. Pete on 1.31
    We don't know if he has won.
    We don't know from where that 62% is from geographically.
  • Options
    So much for the taming of the Shrews......

Extra time
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599

I'm not anti-tidal. What I am pointing out is that to many people's surprise (including mine) the energy storage option of using massive battery arrays has already dropped to a point where it is cheaper than pumped storage... Dinorwig could be replicated for less than £2 billion.

When you add in the fact that you can smoothly scale from a single shipping container upwards and put it where you need it easily....

The main thing holding it back is capacity in battery manufacturing. But that is coming.
    But tides are forever.
  • Options

@rcs1000 has many times pointed out his organisation there. Let's see if that momentum continues.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@rcs1000 has many times pointed out his organisation there. Let's see if that momentum continues.
    Massive organization in Iowa. Good tactic. He's mid-western and he had nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at an early hit.
  • Options

But tides are forever.
    And they deliver their power themselves, right up to the turbines, cost-free. Twice a day.

(Assuming always the Moon is still in the sky. If not, we have bigger problems....)
  • Options

Candidate Total S.D.E.s* Pct. Pledged delegates
    Pete Buttigieg
    36,262 26.9% —
    Bernie Sanders
    33,793 25.1 —
    Elizabeth Warren
    24,623 18.3 —
    Joseph R. Biden Jr.
    21,038 15.6 —
    Amy Klobuchar
    16,972 12.6 —
    Others
    2,055 1.5
  • Options
    Wonderful family news tonight.

Our youngest son (45) and his partner (37) have announced they are to marry in August after 10 years together and have two fantastic children

• Options
    Buttigieg Leads After Iowa Democrats Release First 62% Of Results
    Former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg leads with about 27% of State Delegate Equivalents, after the Iowa Democratic Party released most caucus results just now.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders was second, with about 25% of delegate equivalents. (The full results can be found in the graphic atop this page.)

Hours after the conclusion of the caucuses, the party has released the first 62% of results, across all of the state’s 99 counties.

In a just-completed news conference, the state’s party chair, Troy Price, apologized for the issues that led his organization to hold back releasing the results.

He again cited a “coding error” on the backend of the reporting system, but maintained that the raw data was accurate and secure — and there was a paper trail of the results as well.

— Benjamin Swasey, NPR Deputy Political Editor
This discussion has been closed.