Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reflections from Cyclefree: Here We Go (Again)

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reflections from Cyclefree: Here We Go (Again)

There were not many dogs, hardy or otherwise, out this morning on the North West coast, understandably so in view of the overcast weather. Still, on a clear day from the top of Black Combe , a couple of miles away, it is possible to see Northern Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man. Beyond lies Ireland and the great big wide world beyond. All those opportunities! Just behind the spot where this photo was taken is Silecroft station, one of the few stations where you have to hail the two-carriage train to make it stop. The train travels from Barrow-in Furness up the coast to Carlisle via Sellafield, Whitehaven and Maryport, a town originally settled by the Romans and later turned from fishing village into a coal port.  

Read the full story here

Comments

• To quote from something else inspired by a walk on the beach that seems apt:

“Now I only hear
    Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar”

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43588/dover-beach
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Second?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Well, since 11 pm last night the answer to "who are we?" is perfectly clear.

We are (once more) a proud and independent Island Nation in charge of our own Fish.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    edited February 2020
    Was down the pub last night - and despite being in a 56:44 remain constituency - I suspect most of the clientele were leave voters. 23:00 passed with barely a murmur. Whilst leaving the EU is a big deal emotionally for some people - and I think it’s hurt remainers more than it’s cheered leavers - for most people it won’t make a difference to them. They’ll carry on being who’ve they’ve always been.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Here we go (again)

On our own!

To quote from something else inspired by a walk on the beach that seems apt:

“Now I only hear
    Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar”

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43588/dover-beach

A great poem - and here is its starker/darker extrapolation.

https://lsoares.blogs.sapo.pt/587024.html
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Poetry has no place in Brexit Britain. This is more like it.

https://twitter.com/AdamHickin/status/1223399270591713281?s=09
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I’m half way through the referred Sandbrook book so am loath to rush to early judgement. His earlier books (Seasons in the Sun etc) paint a vivid and accessible history of the period.

I agree with TLG86. There are a number of empty vessels making a lot of noise but most people haven’t and won’t change. For better or worse.
  • Jonathan said:

Looks like one of those guys who thinks he fought in the War but actually was just raised watching John Mills fight the War.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Some top quality sneering early doors btw.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Thanks for the article, Cyclefree.
    Interestingly, when you have raised Cumbria in the past I have often vaguely wonderrd which bit of Cumbria you call home. I wouldn't have guessed Silecroft! Must be quite a cintrast to Hampstead.
    isam said:

Here we go (again)

On our own!

It does appear that we've made up our mind.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Jonathan said:

I thought we had two referenda on the topic? :o
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    edited February 2020
    Above them, expensive and lovely as a rich child's toy,
    The aeroplanes fly in the new European air,
    On the edge of that air that makes England of little importance,
    And the tides warn bronzing bathers of a cooling star
    With half its history done.

I wonder how they're looking at us in Europe today. Probably like that bloke who at school/university was such a star but whom the years have not been kind to. And everyone emits a sad but relieved sigh when he when finally leaves the party at midnight extremely worse for wear.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited February 2020
    Interesting article but Thatcher took the Tories into power in 1979, Boris has become PM and been re elected after 9 years of Tory rule and we are now in the 10th year.

2020 is the equivalent of 1989 therefore not 1979 and if the parallel continues the next general election will be the equivalent of 1992 not 1983 and a close run thing, however if Labour elect Starmer they will be trying to pitch for the centre earlier than they did at that time when they ran Kinnock again, even if Starmer is no Blair
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,771
    Apart from those "ecstatic" prats in Parliament Square last night I would agree that the departure has had more impact on the remainers than the leavers. For me it was pretty much a non event and most leavers that I know felt the same.

What has happened is that the democratic decision of the British people has finally been honoured. It has not been easy or pleasant. The determination of the remainer Parliament to thwart that decision was remarkable and frankly disgraceful but most of the worst offenders ultimately paid with their jobs and careers which is only right. Good riddance.

Now we need to work together. I have no doubt that the scars from this episode will linger, no one who lives in Scotland could have any uncertainty about that, but as much as possible we need to work in the UK national interest again.

I think that this will take time but as a UK out of the EU becomes the status quo it should be possible. Here's hoping.

Can I respectfully request that people stop copying the picture of that vulgar looking reactionary type in their posts. The look & feel of the thread is going to be seriously lowered otherwise. It will become hard for me to stay.
  • tlg86 said:

Was down the pub last night - and despite being in a 56:44 remain constituency - I suspect most of the clientele were leave voters. 23:00 passed with barely a murmur. Whilst leaving the EU is a big deal emotionally for some people - and I think it’s hurt remainers more than it’s cheered leavers - for most people it won’t make a difference to them. They’ll carry on being who’ve they’ve always been.

I won't link to the various vox pops of celebrating Leavers from yesterday (weirdly the media appear to be a lot tougher in their questioning now the deed is done) but there seemed to be common themes of uncertainty about what actual benefits would come to them and a yearning for the way things used to be, possibly for a time before some of them were born. I think many of them were distinctly unhappy with carrying on being who’ve they’ve been (recently anyway) and I can't but think they'll be disappointed that like all of us they're stuck with themselves. How big a proportion of Leavers let alone the general population they are I don't know.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

Apart from those "ecstatic" prats in Parliament Square last night

Harsh on Byro...er...Sea...er...tbc.
    I don't think he/they were on the eccies.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited February 2020
    So even the DUP can go into Government with Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland but apparently not the leaders of Fine Gael or Fianna Fail in the Republic of Ireland.

Do as I say not as I do hey Leo?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1223526810773852161?s=20
  • Above them, expensive and lovely as a rich child's toy,

I wonder how they're looking at us in Europe today. Probably like that bloke who at school/university was such a star but whom the years have not been kind to. And everyone emits a sad but relieved sigh when he when finally leaves the party at midnight extremely worse for wear.

Just a small point, but the star is not cooling but warming.

Top PB pedanting!
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

Apart from those "ecstatic" prats in Parliament Square last night I would agree that the departure has had more impact on the remainers than the leavers. For me it was pretty much a non event and most leavers that I know felt the same.

What has happened is that the democratic decision of the British people has finally been honoured. It has not been easy or pleasant. The determination of the remainer Parliament to thwart that decision was remarkable and frankly disgraceful but most of the worst offenders ultimately paid with their jobs and careers which is only right. Good riddance.

Now we need to work together. I have no doubt that the scars from this episode will linger, no one who lives in Scotland could have any uncertainty about that, but as much as possible we need to work in the UK national interest again.

I think that this will take time but as a UK out of the EU becomes the status quo it should be possible. Here's hoping.

'The Remain parliament tried to thwart the Will of The People' will sadly but probably go down as one of those enduring politic myths along with Foot's donkey jacket and Maggie closing all the coal mines. All I could see were MPs trying to secure a Brexit that was optimal for the country rather than merely optimal for the furtherance of Boris Johnson's career.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

Leavers are doing absolutely nothing to persuade Remainers to take a fresh look at Brexit.

To date, any Remainer who has sought to engage with the challenges of Brexit has been vilified and labelled a traitor. Your own post shows that sense of blinkered incomprehension of the perspectives of others.

The extreme version of Brexit that Leavers have retrospectively decided is the only true Brexit will cause much unnecessary damage. At some point they will start asking themselves what they themselves can do to start repairing the damage they caused instead of expecting others to suck it up. But that day remains a long way off and the country is continuing its spiral of decline.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

DavidL said:

'The Remain parliament tried to thwart the Will of The People' will sadly but probably go down as one of those enduring politic myths along with Foot's donkey jacket and Maggie closing all the coal mines. All I could see were MPs trying to secure a Brexit that was optimal for the country rather than merely optimal for the furtherance of Boris Johnson's career.
    Then you're myopic

DavidL said:

But they weren't. If they had been they would have voted for May's deal as they should have. Instead we had the second referendum nonsense or, in some cases, just an outright refusal to support any kind of Brexit.

The price that they have paid for that stupidity (apart from the careers of the Tiggers etc) is Boris's deal. May's was better in my view and certainly more conciliatory. I only hope that we end up with something pretty close to it by the end of this year.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

DavidL said:

As a Remainer it pains me to say you are talking tosh.

That Parliament tried every single ruse going to obstruct Brexit. Everyone knows it.

I marked the event in A&E. Only one of the waiting 30 people paid any attention to the event showing on the screen.

We just need to get on with it now. It's done. Finished. Over.

DavidL said:

Leavers are doing absolutely nothing to persuade Remainers to take a fresh look at Brexit.

To date, any Remainer who has sought to engage with the challenges of Brexit has been vilified and labelled a traitor. Your own post shows that sense of blinkered incomprehension of the perspectives of others.

The extreme version of Brexit that Leavers have retrospectively decided is the only true Brexit will cause much unnecessary damage. At some point they will start asking themselves what they themselves can do to start repairing the damage they caused instead of expecting others to suck it up. But that day remains a long way off and the country is continuing its spiral of decline.
    I agree May's deal was better. The damage is not necessarily irreparable.
  • alterego said:

DavidL said:

Then you're myopic
    Please give me an example of parliament enacting any legislation that reversed the effects of referendum vote.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

DavidL said:

Those that voted against May's deal got this one instead. Credit where credit is due.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The Iowa caucuses appear to be a bit later this year. Do they not normally take place in January?
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But they weren't. If they had been they would have voted for May's deal as they should have. Instead we had the second referendum nonsense or, in some cases, just an outright refusal to support any kind of Brexit.

The price that they have paid for that stupidity (apart from the careers of the Tiggers etc) is Boris's deal. May's was better in my view and certainly more conciliatory. I only hope that we end up with something pretty close to it by the end of this year.
    Labour scented blood. They thought they could topple Theresa, seize power from the wreckage, negotiate their own WA and then take all the glory. Yes, it backfired spectacularly. So Jezza was stupid. What's new?
  • DavidL said:

That Parliament tried every single ruse going to obstruct Brexit. Everyone knows it.

I marked the event in A&E. Only one of the waiting 30 people paid any attention to the event showing on the screen.

Had it been so minded, Parliament could easily have passed a law forcing Boris to revoke Article 50, as it did with forcing him to get an extension. It didn't. The story endeth here.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    CLP nominations so far today - Starmer 18 RLB 5 Nandy 1
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    justin124 said:

The Iowa caucuses appear to be a bit later this year. Do they not normally take place in January?

2016: Feb 1st
    2012: Jan 3rd
    2008: Jan 3rd
    2004: Jan 19th
    2000: Jan 24th

If memory serves Iowa and other early states kept shuffling earlier and earlier for a long time until, after Jan 3rd twice in a row, it was agreed the early states (IA/NH) had to be allowed to be first but in return they had to wait a bit longer. There was a concern the primaries would trickle into the year before the election.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Liverpool could lose all their league matches until 11th April - and still be top of the league.....
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

The temperature of a main sequence star is steady. As it turns off the main sequence and ascends the giant branch, the star cools.

Here is a cute website, "Star in a Box".

https://starinabox.lco.global

You can take it out of its box, set the dashboard to temperature and see what it happens.

Top PB pedanting!
    It’s the teacher in me.
    😀

DavidL said:

Apart from those "ecstatic" prats in Parliament Square last night

Harsh on Byro...er...Sea...er...tbc.
    I don't think he/they were on the eccies.
    It was amusing how Byronic had to return as SeanT last night as, having declared his new persona a Remain voter, he was only able to gloat about Brexit and report his real feelings at attending the goings on in Parliament Square by logging back into his original account.
    edited February 2020

The temperature of a main sequence star is steady. As it turns off the main sequence and ascends the giant branch, the star cools.

You can take it out of its box, set the dashboard to temperature and see what it happens.
    In fact, the Sun is ever so slightly warming:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#/media/File:Solar_evolution_(English).svg
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

I thought we had two referenda on the topic? :o

I don’t recall any referendum in the USA?
    edited February 2020

Labour scented blood. They thought they could topple Theresa, seize power from the wreckage, negotiate their own WA and then take all the glory. Yes, it backfired spectacularly. So Jezza was stupid. What's new?

Turned out atrociously for Labour.

Could have had - (i) Brexit (ii) Backstop (iii) Minority Tory Govt (iv) Weak PM May.

Got - (i) Brexit (ii) No Backstop (iii) Landslide Tory Govt (iv) Strong PM Johnson.

But not because Corbyn was stupid on this issue. Quite the opposite. His instincts were sound. He wanted to let Brexit happen. To go for the 1st scenario above. But he was unable to resist the push for Ref2/Remain in his own party (MPs and membership) and from the rabidly anti-Corbynite "PV" mob. The Blairs. The Campbells. The Leslies. The Chukas. All of those people. Then the Benn Act, which only gave Johnson an alibi and the GE framing he needed. And the LDs duly giving him the GE timing he needed too. Perfect storm. They all got it far more wrong than Corbyn did. They are to blame not him. In fact they have a hell of a cheek seeking to lay any of this at his door. His "crime" was to fail to win an election that was unwinnable.
    edited February 2020
    RobD said:
    You have excellent eyesight to detect the gradient in the green line! If there is one!

If a main sequence star heats up slightly, the temperature increases, the radiation pressure increases, the star expands and so it cools back down to its steady state temperature, no?

This is pb.com HyperPedantry though.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

There was semi-serious interest in France building one or more copies of the Uk carriers. Their own design has essentially failed.

You can't say the CdG has failed because its prime objective is the same as the HMS QE class - the bolstering of national vanity for a post-imperial power. In that sense it is a success just by existing.

The main technical issue with her (apart from the fact there is only one of them) is that it's slow compared to a Nimitz (27kts vs 31kts) which payload limits the strike package. This stems from using a nuclear power plant based on a submarine design rather than designing a carrier specific variant.
  • DavidL said:

Have to disagree with your first paragraph David. All the Leavers I know were delighted and actively celebrated the event with at least a toast to the occasion. There were also plenty of fireworks in my area and reports rom many other areas of the same.

Indeed it seems to me that the attempts by the Remoaners top thwart Brexit for the last 3 1/2 years made last night all the sweeter and all the more worthy of celebration.

RobD said:
    You have excellent eyesight to detect the gradient in the green line! If there is one!

If a main sequence star heats up slightly, the temperature increases, the radiation pressure increases, the star expands and so it cools back down to its steady state temperature, no?

I did say ever so slightly. Here's a better plot:

https://d2vlcm61l7u1fs.cloudfront.net/media/389/389509f3-f2ea-47ac-850c-54423ae2b1aa/phpBmKfNZ.png
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    RobD said:

If that graph is correct then:

i) the temperature t - the green line - is stable (or going up very, very slightly)
    ii) the radius r - the blue line - is going up noticeably
    iii) the surface area s (4pi*r^2) is going up quickly - since surface area = 4pi*r^2
    iv) the temperature per square inch of sun (t/s) is going down
    v) since the heat the earth receives is proportional to t/s, the heat the earth receives is going down.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited February 2020

DavidL said:

Hope you are okay Mystic

Edit - referring to the A&E comment
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

i) the temperature t - the green line - is stable (or going up very, very slightly)
    iii) the surface area s (4pi*r^2) is going up quickly - since surface area = 4pi*r^2
    v) since the heat the earth receives is proportional to t/s, the heat the earth receives is going down.
    Luminosity is going up faster though, so the net energy received by the Earth will be going up.
  • DavidL said:

Had it been so minded, Parliament could easily have passed a law forcing Boris to revoke Article 50, as it did with forcing him to get an extension. It didn't. The story endeth here.
    They were too cowardly to do that. Which is why they tried to frustrate and prevent it in other ways. The trick was always to stop Brexit without having been seen to stop Brexit.

Thankfully they were just too stupid to achieve it.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

Luminosity is going up faster though, so the net energy received by the Earth will be going up.
    Ah, thank you
    RobD said:

RobD said:

https://d2vlcm61l7u1fs.cloudfront.net/media/389/389509f3-f2ea-47ac-850c-54423ae2b1aa/phpBmKfNZ.png
    The dot-dashed line at 4.5 Gyr rises from ~ 5780 K to ~ 5792K and then falls again to ~ 5780 K by 8 Gyr.

This is Ultra-Mega-Super-Hyper-Pedantry ..... but there are no error bars on the modelling due to e.g., uncertainties in the solar composition which causes changes in the opacity, or uncertainties in the rates of the thermonuclear reactions with temperature.

So, put the error bars on your graph and then we will talk 😀
  • DavidL said:

They were too cowardly to do that. Which is why they tried to frustrate and prevent it in other ways. The trick was always to stop Brexit without having been seen to stop Brexit.

What did they have to be cowardly about? The whole point is it's supposed to be abundantly clear that parliament tried to thwart Brexit at every turn. If that's the case they had nothing to lose and everything to gain by simply reversing the decision through legislation.

The dot-dashed line at 4.5 Gyr rises from ~ 5780 K to ~ 5792K and then falls again to ~ 5780 K by 8 Gyr.

This is Ultra-Mega-Super-Hyper-Pedantry ..... but there are no error bars on the modelling due to e.g., uncertainties in the solar composition which causes changes in the opacity, or uncertainties in the rates of the thermonuclear reactions with temperature.

Also, what book is that page 350 of?
  • Liverpool could lose all their league matches until 11th April - and still be top of the league.....

They could but then again Prince Charles could be the next James Bond.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    DavidL said:

In a situation where the decision is controversial, the risks are essentially all downside and where the pathway to success is a narrow one, you might expect those in charge to limit the damage and mitigate the risks. Yet the Johnson regime shows absolutely no interest in doing that. And certainly not in its attitude towards Scotiand.

The prospects for a passably successful Brexit are poor, I would say.
  • FF43 said:

DavidL said:

In a situation where the decision is controversial, the risks are essentially all downside and where the pathway to success is a narrow one, you might expect those in charge to limit the damage and mitigate the risks. Yet the Johnson regime shows absolutely no interest in doing that. And certainly not in its attitude towards Scotiand.

Given that has been your position since before the referendum I am not sure anyone should be surprised you still maintain it.
  • DavidL said:

What did they have to be cowardly about? The whole point is it's supposed to be abundantly clear that parliament tried to thwart Brexit at every turn. If that's the case they had nothing to lose and everything to gain by simply reversing the decision through legislation.
    They were frightened of losing their seats. Their fear turned out to be well justified thankfully.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Red giants are cooler than main sequence yellow stars.
    edited February 2020
    ----
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/01/unionists-northern-ireland-brexit-backfired-uk-government-nationalists

"A century after the foundation of the Northern Irish state, unionism is demoralised. Brexit has backfired on them, and the English nationalists who drove it have not hidden their contempt for the most British of Britain’s subjects in this last fragment of the empire, now that they no longer need them."

• They were too cowardly to do that. Which is why they tried to frustrate and prevent it in other ways. The trick was always to stop Brexit without having been seen to stop Brexit.

They were frightened of losing their seats. Their fear turned out to be well justified thankfully.
    As I said, nothing to lose and everything to gain then by simply legislating to cancel Brexit. That no such legislation was even mooted, let alone passed, rather belies that particular Leave claim to persecution. It matters because there were calls for riots on the streets to counter a mere conspiracy theory.
  • https://twitter.com/NicolaRBartlett/status/1223573839034167299

The smears being when the press quote Jeremy presumably.
    edited February 2020
    Article 50 was voted through 498 - 114. That's not parliament blocking Brexit.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    edited February 2020

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Given that has been your position since before the referendum I am not sure anyone should be surprised you still maintain it.
    Indeed. Brexit is a process that has only just begun, not a one day transition that occurred last night. Johnson may have his "Mission accomplished" moment, but it isn't accomplished, by a long way. Now is when it gets interesting.

RobD said:

RobD said:

I think modeling of the Sun's interior is sufficiently advanced that we can take these plots as reliable. After all, it's mainly hydrogen and helium.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,742
    Late afternoon all :)

Thank you for the piece, Cyclefree. This is not 1979, nor is it even 1982. The circumstances were quite different.

As I said this morning, I'm far from certain where the country now goes. It's not Stunde Null - we haven't been militarily defeated or physically conquered as were Germany, Italy, France and much of the rest of Europe in WW2. Once the occupations were over or the liberators had come, the question everyone had to ask was "what's next" which was part looking at the future and part coming to terms with the recent past.

Membership of the EU was a million miles from occupation or conquest (despite what Farage and his ilk would claim) yet the fact remains we have not been in this position since 1972 and that, for most of us, is a lifetime.

Johnson naturally offers an unreconstructed positive version of the future - that's what the PM has to do at times like this and it chimes with his upbeat nature which makes him such a strong electoral asset - how do you beat happy?

Others are much less positive and are immediately criticised by fans of Johnson for the more insidious charge of "talking down Britain" which is the modern version of high treason.

I'm of the view if we can't be honest with ourselves we're going to find it difficult to be honest with each other. I've never expected the sky to fall in or to be eating rats within 24 hours of leaving the EU but that doesn't stop me having concerns about the future economic health of the country.

The nirvana we are promised of free trade with everyone is all well and good but it's not just about trade deals - I'd much rather be talking about the opportunity we now have to re-design or re-imagine the nation state for the 2020s and beyond.

Sometimes a blank piece of paper is intimidating but it's often a good place to start.
    CatMan said:

That's awfully selective.
  • Dura_Ace said:

There was semi-serious interest in France building one or more copies of the Uk carriers. Their own design has essentially failed.

You can't say the CdG has failed because its prime objective is the same as the HMS QE class - the bolstering of national vanity for a post-imperial power. In that sense it is a success just by existing.

The main technical issue with her (apart from the fact there is only one of them) is that it's slow compared to a Nimitz (27kts vs 31kts) which payload limits the strike package. This stems from using a nuclear power plant based on a submarine design rather than designing a carrier specific variant.
    Does that mean our national vanity has double bolstering? Suck it up, crapauds.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    CatMan said:

Brexit needs a central myth (the people against the elite) in order to mask the essential xenophobia of the movement.
    Brexit boost for UK criminals!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51194363

"It won't be possible for some suspected criminals to be brought back to the UK if they flee to Germany. Germany's constitution does not allow its citizens to be extradited, unless it's to another EU country. "This exception cannot apply any more after the UK has left EU," a spokesman from the German Federal Ministry of Justice told BBC News."
    CatMan said:

"It won't be possible for some suspected criminals to be brought back to the UK if they flee to Germany. Germany's constitution does not allow its citizens to be extradited, unless it's to another EU country. "This exception cannot apply any more after the UK has left EU," a spokesman from the German Federal Ministry of Justice told BBC News."

For German criminals, surely? UK ones can still be extradited.
  • CatMan said:

So do the Germans not extradite criminals to their Swiss neighbours? Or to Norway or others?

Sounds like Germany should update their constitution but that's up to them.
  • RobD said:

CatMan said:

Could Prince Andrew claim German citizenship?

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Could Prince Andrew claim German citizenship?
    Why ever would he need that?

*innocent face*

*banned*

CatMan said:

So do the Germans not extradite criminals to their Swiss neighbours? Or to Norway or others?

Sounds like Germany should update their constitution but that's up to them.
    It isn't exactly a gotcha moment is it? If the Germans want to have convicted criminals roaming their country freely that is their problem.
  • CatMan said:

Excellent point. Parliament, rightly, only started to seize the reins when the ERG and co. popped up with the intention of hijacking Brexit and bringing about WTO madness and other assorted nasties. We should be grateful they succeeded (for now).
  • CatMan said:

No. Brexit boost for German criminals. UK ones will still be able to be extradited from Germany.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    RobD said:

CatMan said:

Indeed, let’s remember the Brexiteers blocking Brexit.
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Yeah, and I remember criticising them on here at the time.

CatMan said:

No. Brexit boost for German criminals. UK ones will still be able to be extradited from Germany.
    Whoops. I've always said I talk crap on here :'(
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Perhaps also worth recalling we elect a parliament to represent 650 different communities across the UK. There never was a single and obvious outcome from the referendum, and nobody - until Swinson’s idiotic gambit - advocated to ignore the vote.
  • CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Whoops. I've always said I talk crap on here :'(
    Nah I read it exactly the same way initially until I went and looked into it a bit more. Also the law in Slovenia and Austria. I wonder if it has something to do with the possible extradition of Nazi suspects in the past. If so it might well be time to update the law.

I would say - and this is a completely serious comment - that there is more chance of Prince Charles being cast as the next Bond than there is of Liverpool losing the title.
  • CatMan said:

Brexit needs a central myth (the people against the elite) in order to mask the essential xenophobia of the movement.
    Yet more utter BS from Mr Gardenwalker.

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Perhaps also worth recalling we elect a parliament to represent 650 different communities across the UK. There never was a single and obvious outcome from the referendum, and nobody - until Swinson’s idiotic gambit - advocated to ignore the vote.
    I don't know. You could argue that seeking a second go was an attempt at ignoring the first vote.

CatMan said:

You won, by joining hands with xenophobia.
    Own it.
  • CatMan said:

As I said they were too cowardly to do it directly - which is what refusing to invoke Article 50 would have been - so they tried to do it in other ways. But again they were too stupid to work out how to do it without getting the blame. And blamed they were which is why so many of them were kicked out.
  • CatMan said:

Own it.
    No matter how often you claim it, it still doesn't make it true. It just shows what a bad loser you are. Unlike most decent Remain voters you and the rest of the unreconciled fanatics deserve all the self inflicted angst you have coming to you.
  • Jonathan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Anyone advocating a second vote was doing exactly that.
    edited February 2020

CatMan said:

Own it.
    No matter how often you claim it, it still doesn't make it true. It just shows what a bad loser you are. Unlike most decent Remain voters you and the rest of the unreconciled fanatics deserve all the self inflicted angst you have coming to you.
    Well, it’s your country. You can do what you want with it. That you have decided - unwittingly to be sure - to consign it to material and moral decline is your lookout.

The rest of the world is moving on.
  • kinabalu said:

I would say - and this is a completely serious comment - that there is more chance of Prince Charles being cast as the next Bond than there is of Liverpool losing the title.
    Yes, without doubt but @MarqueeMark comments some ridiculous stuff, stupid comments will always get stupid replies.

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Anyone advocating a second vote was doing exactly that.
    Laughable. You’ve won already. You should exercise yourself on figuring out the direction of those sunny uplands you’ve promised yourself.

• Why bet England 5-6 to win the title when they're 4-7 for one match?
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

I don't know. You could argue that seeking a second go was an attempt at ignoring the first vote.
    The Runciman article posted earlier was very good and describes the second referendum movement as always a delusion. Probably that’s right. But there were also serious issues with that first vote which has left a poison in the body politic.
This discussion has been closed.