Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The front pages on this historic day

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Meeksit means Meeksit. I suppose today is as good a day as any to announce that I’m retiring on 30 April.

I picked 30th April too. That was 17 years ago though. The other big event for us that day was that elder son's first child was born that day. Now he's having driving lessons at a 'cardrome' and looking forward to being on the road properly. He and I were messaging each other about automatic cars last night, as per the discussion where.
    30 April is a convenient date for me - it’s my firm’s year end.
    In all seriousness, congratulations Alastair. Very well deserved.

You must have done well to be retiring at 52 (?) or something like that?!
    Thank you. Yes, 52, but I’ve always wanted to try to use some different skills and this gives me the opportunity to do so.
    My pleasure.

Any thoughts on how you might do that which you’d care to share? What are you considering?
    I’m going to be slightly coy there. I’m looking out for difficult things that no one wants to do but everyone wants to have done rather than enjoyable things that there are no shortage of volunteers for.
    Well based on your first sentence you could stand as a LD councillor
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Stocky said:

Who`s going to be in Parliament Square at 11pm?

I (and Mrs Stocky) are coming down by train this morning and making a couple of days out of it.

Is there anywhere else in London to keep an eye on for action e.g. Traf Square, Buck Palace, Downing Street?

Anyone know where Johnson is making his speech at 10 pm? I think he`s in Sunderland this morning.

And finally, and most importantly, where am I to take Mrs Stocky out for a meal this evening near Westminster? Any recommendations?

Simpsons in the Strand is suitably British if you're in that frame of mind. I've seen some grumpy comments about it but in my experience it's a classic British dining experience (roast beef from the trolley etc.) with pleasant staff, and not ludicrously expensive for Central London (from memory £30 a head will do it unless you go for expensive wine).
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Stocky said:

Anyone else surprised how well Dawn Butler is doing in CLP nominations? She`s in strong second place. Anything to read into this?

Killing two birds with one stone?
  • Options

Meeksit means Meeksit. I suppose today is as good a day as any to announce that I’m retiring on 30 April.

I picked 30th April too. That was 17 years ago though. The other big event for us that day was that elder son's first child was born that day. Now he's having driving lessons at a 'cardrome' and looking forward to being on the road properly. He and I were messaging each other about automatic cars last night, as per the discussion where.

Thank you. Yes, 52, but I’ve always wanted to try to use some different skills and this gives me the opportunity to do so.
    My pleasure.

Any thoughts on how you might do that which you’d care to share? What are you considering?
    I’m going to be slightly coy there. I’m looking out for difficult things that no one wants to do but everyone wants to have done rather than enjoyable things that there are no shortage of volunteers for.
    Assume that you're aiming higher than being the local dog poo vigilante, though I'm sure it would be appreciated. Good luck either way.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

Pro_Rata said:

Europe still has no idea what just happened to its credibility.

They wanted to forge the United States of Europe. But it's like Texas just voted to leave the USA. OK, so Texas might be the most semi-detatched state. But the loss of that large state would have massive repurcussions in the US. The EU? Nobody even lost a day of their pension....

The EU enters February 2020 a far less credible thing.

It’s the UK, not the EU that has a credibility problem after the Brexit process
    Imagine the US President, sitting in the White House, announcing gravely that as of tomorrow, "there will only be 49 stars on our slightly-less star spangled banner."

Because that is what just happened to the EU.

Now imagine the fall-out in the US. The next thing the President would be telling the people is that he was resigning. Before the Senate got a chance to fire his sorry ass, for allowing this humiliation to come about.

The EU? At the most senior level of its management, it just has no concept of fuck up.
    I'd agree there should be more of a sense of self reflection in Brussels, but, that said, I do find it odd when leavers criticize the EU for not being the United States of Europe of their imagination.

It is still a member organisation, an unusually powerful one perhaps, but still.a member organisation, that has lost a member. It is simply not like a USA that has lost a state. It is different.

It is like when you bewail the lack of a politician who campaigns for the EU presidency from Birmingham to Berlin, channelling the spirit of some William Glen federalist erotic dream. The EU presidency is not like that because the EU is not like that, the nation's do not wish it and they are happy with their own domestic democratic power bases, thank you very much.

But we're leaving, so your confusion over what it is we are leaving is, for the present time, rather more moot.
    If the EU is not going to have politicians campaigning from Birmingham to Berlin then it shouldn't have politicians passing laws from Birmingham to Berlin.
    In the UK and elsewhere, it tends to be the executive that has that roving role, whilst individual legislators campaign primarily on their own patch. So, we have a he council of ministers who, as national representatives, wish it to be run as 27 national campaigns.

The needs of national sovereignty and the lack of a Europe wide demos have the same root.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Anyone else surprised how well Dawn Butler is doing in CLP nominations? She`s in strong second place. Anything to read into this?

Burgon is buggered.....
    Butler is reliably Corbynite without going OTT about it, and I think also there's a feeling that some racial and gender balance with Starmer would be a good idea. I'm considering voting for her.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726

Stocky said:

I (and Mrs Stocky) are coming down by train this morning and making a couple of days out of it.

Is there anywhere else in London to keep an eye on for action e.g. Traf Square, Buck Palace, Downing Street?

Anyone know where Johnson is making his speech at 10 pm? I think he`s in Sunderland this morning.

And finally, and most importantly, where am I to take Mrs Stocky out for a meal this evening near Westminster? Any recommendations?

Simpsons in the Strand is suitably British if you're in that frame of mind. I've seen some grumpy comments about it but in my experience it's a classic British dining experience (roast beef from the trolley etc.) with pleasant staff, and not ludicrously expensive for Central London (from memory £30 a head will do it unless you go for expensive wine).
    Thank`s for that Nick. Looks a bit pricey. We`ve been married 17 years.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    The i front page is very much a case of what might have been for remain. When Cummings was focus grouping slogans for leave, he also did it for remain to get an idea of what he might be up against. "A leap in the dark" was by far the most effective slogan for remain.

Alas, George Osborne saw differently and predicted a massive recession.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Burgon is buggered.....
    Butler is reliably Corbynite without going OTT about it, and I think also there's a feeling that some racial and gender balance with Starmer would be a good idea. I'm considering voting for her.
    That`s interesting. Why Butler rather than Raynor?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tlg86 said:

The i front page is very much a case of what might have been for remain. When Cummings was focus grouping slogans for leave, he also did it for remain to get an idea of what he might be up against. "A leap in the dark" was by far the most effective slogan for remain.

My slogan for Remain would have been Fools Rush Out.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Congratulations!

I enjoy the mix of freelance working and having time to myself that the last two and a bit years have brought. One of the unexpected pleasures has been having the time to enjoy small every day things: my home, garden, lunches with friends, not having to worry about what time it is, avoiding commuter hour, going for a walk if the day is nice rather than hoping the good weather lasts until the weekend etc. It has been a wonderful contrast with what went before and it has given me the mental and creative space to think about what I was doing and what I want to do.

And it also takes time to get your previous work and place of work truly out of your system.

Good luck with whatever you do next!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Pension-pot holders across the land will remember this day as a national tragedy.

Enjoy Next Phase of Life. I hop your partner is looking forward to it too.

He’s threatening to go back to work.
    The wife in a couple we know pointed out to the husband on the day after his retirement that 'they'd married for better or worse, but not for lunch!'.
    He'd been into computing very early, worked for one of the big companies and consequently did a lot of travelling. Having him home all day needed quite an adjustment.
    And he doesn't like golf!
    Retirement does mean getting under each other's feet all day but I wonder if there is also a touch of the lottery winners' curse, that now they can afford to do (or have time to do) whatever they want, they discover what they want is two different things. A friend mentioned the other day that he only holidays abroad because his wife likes to; if they could suddenly afford a year cruising round the world, would their marriage last?
    I mentioned the U3a. We both belong, belong to quite a few interest groups, but only both belong to one, a Lunch Group where we work round the local pubs etc once per month.
    Only taking one month to get round all the local pubs, etc sounds like a full-time job!!
    Haha; One pub per month. Would take years to get round all the reasonable eateries in the Northen part of mid-Essex.
  • Options
    Congratulations to the various PBers contemplating or actually going into retirement. Alastair at 52 might consider something political - I started at 47 and had a lot of fun, and there are European campaigns if that takes your fancy. The main thing that retirees say to me is that it's important to have a central, preferably new, interest - just assuming one will enjoy doing a favourite hobby all day doesn't usually work.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

My pleasure.

So being a prison visitor, keeping an eye on detainees in police stations, while also fostering difficult teenagers, then?!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Haha; One pub per month. Would take years to get round all the reasonable eateries in the Northen part of mid-Essex.

Well, there's an incentive to hang around a good few more years then!

Although, you might want to step it up to two a month. Live a little.....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

tlg86 said:

My slogan for Remain would have been Fools Rush Out.
    The rejoin campaign, “back to the future”.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Burgon is buggered.....
    Nothing against Rayner, but I see her as a loyalist rather than a left-winger. I accpet that we need Starmer or Nandy at the top of the ticket, but a signal to the Corbynites (like me) that we're not throwing everything overboard would be good for unity. And race is mildly relevant too at about the same level as gender - it's odd that we've never had a senior black MP in either leader or deputy slots.

I might vote for Rayner in the end, but certainly I think there should be a contest, and Butler would be an interesting contrast. I don't share the dislike of Burgon that seems common here, but he's a bit One True Faith for me.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Cyclefree said:

My pleasure.

So being a prison visitor, keeping an eye on detainees in police stations, while also fostering difficult teenagers, then?!
    Maintaining political balance on pb.com?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Congratulations to the various PBers contemplating or actually going into retirement. Alastair at 52 might consider something political - I started at 47 and had a lot of fun, and there are European campaigns if that takes your fancy. The main thing that retirees say to me is that it's important to have a central, preferably new, interest - just assuming one will enjoy doing a favourite hobby all day doesn't usually work.

That's a big advantage of the U3a. All sorts of interest groups which one can join; some 'intellectual', some less so, some physical...... rambling
    Ours has a a 'Grumpy Old Men' group, which is actually alleged to be very cheerful. Must admit I've never been.
  • Options

They wanted to forge the United States of Europe. But it's like Texas just voted to leave the USA. OK, so Texas might be the most semi-detatched state. But the loss of that large state would have massive repurcussions in the US. The EU? Nobody even lost a day of their pension....

Imagine the US President, sitting in the White House, announcing gravely that as of tomorrow, "there will only be 49 stars on our slightly-less star spangled banner."

Now imagine the fall-out in the US. The next thing the President would be telling the people is that he was resigning. Before the Senate got a chance to fire his sorry ass, for allowing this humiliation to come about.

The EU? At the most senior level of its management, it just has no concept of fuck up.

So what?

Well, we can be a disinterested observer of their fuck ups as of 11pm.....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

My pleasure.

Alternatievely, the near impossible challenge of growing pots of citrus fruit in our climate.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

The Prime Minister is narked with the Chancellor. It's just like old times.

Downing Street anger over 'ill-disciplined' Javid’s attempt to hijack HS2 decision
    Boris Johnson’s relationship with Sajid Javid under renewed strain after Chancellor's intervention in rail project row

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/30/downing-street-anger-ill-disciplined-javids-attempt-hijack-hs2/

What an odd thing to be mad about. Politicians have been weighing in on it for years and Boris might as well have been speaking out about himself, so anger ar Javid would be remarkably phony even for him.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Burgon is buggered.....
    Nothing against Rayner, but I see her as a loyalist rather than a left-winger. I accpet that we need Starmer or Nandy at the top of the ticket, but a signal to the Corbynites (like me) that we're not throwing everything overboard would be good for unity. And race is mildly relevant too at about the same level as gender - it's odd that we've never had a senior black MP in either leader or deputy slots.

I might vote for Rayner in the end, but certainly I think there should be a contest, and Butler would be an interesting contrast. I don't share the dislike of Burgon that seems common here, but he's a bit One True Faith for me.
    Burgon is appalling.
  • Options

My pleasure.

Ah, so you’re going to be working for Dom Cummings to sort Brexit out! It all makes sense now.
    A critic being at the heart of it would not be a bad idea if only to ensure alternative views get heard of course. Cummings is the kind of cool and edgy alternative thinker whose mind is completely closed even as they act like they are open to anything
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995

I retire today, finally at 66.5.. I am going to join the U3A.
    You'll be very welcome. Gives my wife and I lots of opportunities for interests
    I joined the U3A many years ago to study philosophy. Very stimulating. I retired 24 years ago on an old fashioned final salary inflation proof pension. But I've done a lot since. Still skiing.
  • Options

My pleasure.

Seriously, have you thought about doing something in the financial education field. I don’t mean the Martin Lewis- here are the best deals stuff. But people are woefully ignorant or naive about financial matters and, this is my bugbear, about falling for scams, not asking obvious questions, etc - particularly in relation to long-term investments.

Think of the steel workers diddled out of their pensions by crooks - obvious to me and you - but not most people.

There is room, it seems to me, for a way of giving or making available advice about what to do and about what not to do - if presented in a different and compelling / interesting way - rather than the dreary “eyes glazing over” way this stuff is usually presented. It is something I have wondered about for a while - how to make this available to people before they get into a mess rather than after when they appear as sad stories on Radio 4’s money programmes.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

My pleasure.

Ah, so you’re going to be working for Dom Cummings to sort Brexit out! It all makes sense now.
    A critic being at the heart of it would not be a bad idea if only to ensure alternative views get heard of course. Cummings is the kind of cool and edgy alternative thinker whose mind is completely closed even as they act like they are open to anything
    I was taught that one needed a critic/candid friend in any management team. Someone to say 'Yebbut' and point out the cliff-edge, or even just the marshy ground!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,724

So what?

Well, we can be a disinterested observer of their fuck ups as of 11pm.....
    But if Brexit is itself by far the biggest fuck up, we won't be disinterested observers.

And we're not.
  • Options

Sad day for those like me who never wanted to leave the EU, but I don't mind brexiteers celebrating or marking the occasion. Steve Baker's comments on it were good.

I do also feel relief in a way that the whole mess is behind us. I think the heat will go out of brexit as a news story very quickly, and the PM will have a lot more room to manoeuvre in the next stage of the negotiations. He will compromise in certain areas to enable a mid level trade agreement to be signed, enough to avoid any sort of dramatic cliff edges in 2021. I also don't see rejoin being a mainstream idea in the next couple decades.

It probably means Boris will be the first tory PM in decades not to be destroyed over Europe, so what will bring him down instead?

Time and lack of direction. His lack of vision and spraying of cash on big name issues will work for a bit, but as a man with no plan eventually he'll muck up in pursuit of a good headline. Wont be for some time.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Thank`s for that Nick. Looks a bit pricey. We`ve been married 17 years.
    The Standard loved it last month.
    Jimi Famurewa reviews Simpson's in the Strand: A waistband-bursting riot that delights beyond nostalgia

Though from memory, it was not cheap. Ah, here we are:
    But it was that carved beef that we couldn’t stop talking about, even as an enjoyably daft, mint chocolate baked Alaska was set ablaze at the table and the 160 quid bill arrived, trailed by squidgy blocks of rosemary fudge. It is, of course, a fairly hilarious figure for essentially two courses each and not much booze.

Yet even my mum — who had been muttering playful disparagements about the prices all afternoon — conceded that it was completely worth it; worth it for the exceptional cooking, worth it for the thrumming, unstuffy atmosphere and worth it for that glow-giving, Yuletide sense of occasion.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/restaurants/jimi-famurewa-restaurant-review-simpsons-in-the-strand-covent-garden-a4306781.html

I think NP might have been mixing it up with the nearby McDonald's. Joe Allen's is often good for pre- and post-theatre.
    https://www.joeallen.co.uk/
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I’m actually rather sad today.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I did it at 54 - teacher - never a single regret and never been as prosperous in so many ways!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

My pleasure.

I know quite a few people who retired, became cllrs for 10-20 years, then retired properly. Keeps you busy, can be varied, helps people (can sit in the local pension committee perhaps?)

If you make it through the first term you will know if it's a gig for the long term or if the aggravations are not worth it
  • Options

kle4 said:

My pleasure.

I was taught that one needed a critic/candid friend in any management team. Someone to say 'Yebbut' and point out the cliff-edge, or even just the marshy ground!
    Good luck with that. In practice the candid friend or devil's advocate is "not a team player". Arse-licking works, even when everyone knows that is what is going on. These days, diversity is the great, erm, diverse hope of the management gurus but let's see.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

My pleasure.

I know quite a few people who retired, became cllrs for 10-20 years, then retired properly. Keeps you busy, can be varied, helps people (can sit in the local pension committee perhaps?)

If you make it through the first term you will know if it's a gig for the long term or if the aggravations are not worth it
    CAB advisor?????
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

My pleasure.

Alternatievely, the near impossible challenge of growing pots of citrus fruit in our climate.....
    Tell me about it!! Citrus plants and lavender are the two plants I have never had any success with. I can grow parsley outside through the winter; I even managed to get a sunflower flowering outside in December a few years ago. I’m brilliant with all sorts of plants. But lavender and citrus: no chance. I can do without lavender, TBH. It has become a bit of a cliche.

But the smell of mandarins in winter in Naples is such a potent memory for me. I have been trying to recreate it ever since.......
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    edited January 2020
    A good friend of mine, the leading advocate in corporate matters at the Scottish bar for many, many years, retires today. We were out for a few drinks last night and he was complaining that he'd had no less than 3 eulogies from Judges which he had found deeply embarrassing.

It made me think about retirement as of course does Alastair's announcement this morning. My provisional view is that I am a boring old bugger with insufficient interests to fill my time if I retired. Its not that I like my work especially but it is stimulating and keeps me active. I think my plan is to gradually slow down and do a little less but not stop. This has financial attractions as well.

My son still has 1 year to do at school and then 3-4 years of University. That needs funding. After that I may have more options but its nose to the grindstone for a while yet.
  • Options
    New consultancy firm of Meeks and Cyclefree incoming?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Sad day for those like me who never wanted to leave the EU, but I don't mind brexiteers celebrating or marking the occasion. Steve Baker's comments on it were good.

I do also feel relief in a way that the whole mess is behind us. I think the heat will go out of brexit as a news story very quickly, and the PM will have a lot more room to manoeuvre in the next stage of the negotiations. He will compromise in certain areas to enable a mid level trade agreement to be signed, enough to avoid any sort of dramatic cliff edges in 2021. I also don't see rejoin being a mainstream idea in the next couple decades.

It probably means Boris will be the first tory PM in decades not to be destroyed over Europe, so what will bring him down instead?

I think Europe could also do for Johnson indirectly. In his short time as PM he has stored up a lot of problems: with Northern Ireland, Scotland, business, farmers, public finances. It's quite likely these will come back to bite him.

Against that, he has a secure base with English nationalists
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Begs the question what he is going to be doing a deal on or whether he wants a trade agreement.
  • Options
    Man, I need to start earning more, as I currently expect not to retire but instead just die at my desk.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:
    Begs the question what he is going to be doing a deal on or whether he wants a trade agreement.
    He does not want a deal that sacrifices fishing ports in Tory marginal seats from Brixham to Grimsby and Moray
  • Options
    edited January 2020

kle4 said:

My pleasure.

Good luck with that. In practice the candid friend or devil's advocate is "not a team player". Arse-licking works, even when everyone knows that is what is going on. These days, diversity is the great, erm, diverse hope of the management gurus but let's see.
    I've been on both sorts of teams. You are right; the 'candid friend' is often not popular. The other thing to remember in a team is Truman's aphorism' it's surprising what can be achieved when no one person is anxious to take the credit'.
    Or something like that.
    Again, can be difficult to achieve!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    HYUFD said:
    Pretty childish of him, really.
    And his line about staying as a shareholder so they could have 'influence', laughable.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

My pleasure.

Plus you get allowances now to top up your pension
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    HYUFD said:
    My old college - really good riposte for the snowflakes.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:
    Gove's Euroscepticism is founded on his blaming the CFP for the demise of his family's business. For Gove, it is personal. I'd bear that in mind and look to see what other ministers are saying.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Time and lack of direction. His lack of vision and spraying of cash on big name issues will work for a bit, but as a man with no plan eventually he'll muck up in pursuit of a good headline. Wont be for some time.
    I’m going to stick my neck out. There is a reasonable chance he too could be destroyed by the European question - if Brexit ie the post-departure trade relationship does not go well, there is a bad recession and it is all those new Tory seats which are the ones suffering the most. This last election might end up being more like 1987 than 1997 - for the Tories.

Merely resolving the question of whether in or out does not resolve the European question at all. What happens next will. And on that we - and possibly also Boris - have no real idea.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    edited January 2020

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Burgon is buggered.....

It wont be good for unity if the Corbynites like you are still in the party. The Labour Party needs to move towards the centre, and the Corbynites still within will leave the party well and truly split.
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:
    An intellectually lightweight response.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:
    He does not want a deal that sacrifices fishing ports in Tory marginal seats from Brixham to Grimsby and Moray
    That’s all very well, but the time long past to say what you don’t want. He has to decide what he does want if he is to achieve a deal.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    kle4 said:

New consultancy firm of Meeks and Cyclefree incoming?

Put that English sparkling wine on ice, we might not be leaving!!
  • Options

kle4 said:

My pleasure.

That is sadly the reality. I've found the more people focus on saying the right things management wise the less it's true, like being insistent on not having a blame culture.
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:
    It is a good line but is it true? How hard is it to sell a few shares? It is not as if he has to dismantle an oil rig.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:
    Sure, but those sort of debates are typified by lightweight reasoning and demands, so it all works out.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Nice one. I dropped out a fair bit younger than you are now and it's been good. Mind you, I was a bit "burnt out" (as they say) so had little choice. Hope you do embrace something gritty and unpleasant rather than soft and fluffy. I felt the same, once I'd got my bearings, and my top idea was to teach literacy and numeracy in prisons. I have not done so - which is disappointing (to myself) and far from the first time time I have proved to be all trimmings and no turkey.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

That's a very good idea in my opinion. I'm finding on the council that there are lots of things that I'd really like to spend a day studying and discussing to get them optimal, but I'm having to take leave from my day job to do it, as the council is really designed for retired people and staff don't like evening/weekend meetings. There are some really professional councillors in all parties and there's a lot to get one's teeth into. The main snag is the dire budgetary squeeze from central government and of course the limits of local government power - but one can do more tan I'd expected.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Gove's wishful thinking is probably genuine. Father was screwed by the EU etc. He probably doesn't want to admit even to himself that he will do exactly the same.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    Pretty childish of him, really.
    And his line about staying as a shareholder so they could have 'influence', laughable.
    The point he is making is that if you want to use less carbon-unfriendly energy then you are also willing the consequences of that choice. If we stopped heating our homes with our gas boilers we’d reduce our carbon footprint but we’d also be cold. Most of us don’t want the latter however much we say we want the former. No reason why students should be excused from understanding that.

I have had similar conversations with my 3 when they moan about being cold (I am always turning the heating right down) while dressing as if it were 30 degrees outside.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

That's a very good idea in my opinion. I'm finding on the council that there are lots of things that I'd really like to spend a day studying and discussing to get them optimal, but I'm having to take leave from my day job to do it, as the council is really designed for retired people and staff don't like evening/weekend meetings. There are some really professional councillors in all parties and there's a lot to get one's teeth into. The main snag is the dire budgetary squeeze from central government and of course the limits of local government power - but one can do more tan I'd expected.
    Cabinet members like you can be practically full time of course, and last stats I saw was around 20-25 hours a week for most councillors. You get out of it what you put into it.

Whether people like also depends on how much quick and direct action individuals expected, even as opposition. I'm amazed that parties dont get more questions from people they persuade to stand. But there's always being an independent. Id recommend it if people like meeting others, fixing problems however small, and community organising. Downsides are public demands, bureaucracy and so on.
  • Options
    Here’s one solicitor who won’t be able to retire in his 50s.

Slaughter and May is discussing the prospects of a future trainee with the Solicitors Regulation Authority over messages he wrote on social media as a teenager.

The future trainee, who RollOnFriday is identifying only as 'Jabo', was reported to Slaughter and May and the SRA by a whistleblower, who identified themselves only as 'Anonymous Source'. An email from Anonymous Source on Wednesday evening informed the firm and the profession’s regulator that "This individual has posted some seriously offensive material".

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-slaughter-and-may-discusses-trainees-racist-and-sexist-social-media-sra

I reckon he’s going to be severely punished by S&M.

(I’ll get my coat.)
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Burgon is buggered.....

It wont be good for unity if the Corbynites like you are still in the party. The Labour Party needs to move towards the centre, and the Corbynites still within will leave the party well and truly split.
    I'm not a member but is moving to the centre all it is cracked up to be?

If Labour's problem at the election was Corbyn personally, as many reports have it, and not policy, then why change? If voters liked the policies but not the lack of focus in the "all must have prizes" manifesto, then why move to the centre?

For a start, even if Labour does nothing, Boris is moving the centre, or some of it, leftwards: end of austerity; investment in infrastructure; nationalising the means of production railways. It even looks as if Boris might pinch Labour's wheeze of counting assets on the national balance sheet to make nationalisation cheap and privatisation expensive. Corbyn's going, along with his fascination for all points abroad. That might be enough.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:
    Sure, but those sort of debates are typified by lightweight reasoning and demands, so it all works out.
    Less so in this case.
    The drying up of investment in fossil fuel companies will do quite a lot to cut production and usage over the next decade or so (it's already started to have a significant effect on coal plants).
    One could correctly argue that in this case it's merely a gesture, but it's a gesture in the right direction.

And the bursar is supposed to be one of the grownups.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:
    Gove's Euroscepticism is founded on his blaming the CFP for the demise of his family's business. For Gove, it is personal. I'd bear that in mind and look to see what other ministers are saying.
    Didn’t his father point out that Gove’s memory on this was - ahem - incorrect?

Not quite sure why fishing is such a fetish for some Tories - it seems to me to be the epitome of being obsessed by the few rather than the many - but this article may be of interest - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/promises-to-uk-fishing-industry-were-just-another-brexit-fantasy-tm7z96v53.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    No one cares about Fishing. Less than 11k people are employed in the industry. For context more than 10k people rely on the Nissan factory in Sunderland Washington alone.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:
    Didn’t his father point out that Gove’s memory on this was - ahem - incorrect?

Not quite sure why fishing is such a fetish for some Tories - it seems to me to be the epitome of being obsessed by the few rather than the many - but this article may be of interest - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/promises-to-uk-fishing-industry-were-just-another-brexit-fantasy-tm7z96v53.
    And yet the six made sure that the three were thoroughly screwed when they joined.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,009

Questionable whether it’s even worth learning on a manual now. I have a manual licence but haven’t driven one for 15 years.
  • Options

felix said:

HYUFD said:
    It is a good line but is it true? How hard is it to sell a few shares? It is not as if he has to dismantle an oil rig.
    The shares will likely be held not on an individual basis but through funds etc and the college’s investments will be managed by others in accordance with all sorts of legal and fiduciary requirements. So yes it is not something that can be done by one person at a moment’s notice.
  • Options

Congratulations Alastair. I don’t know how old you are but from your picture it looks like you have several good decades ahead of you, free from the shackles of work.
  • Options

No one cares about Fishing. Less than 11k people are employed in the industry. For context more than 10k people rely on the Nissan factory in Sunderland Washington alone.

I think you`re wrong. Whilst it`s true that only a few have a direct interest interest in the industry, it is a totemic issue for leavers, because it`s integral to sovereignty (as leavers see it). It will hurt the gov greatly if they caved in on this. I don`t think they will.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I think you`re wrong. Whilst it`s true that only a few have a direct interest interest in the industry, it is a totemic issue for leavers, because it`s integral to sovereignty (as leavers see it). It will hurt the gov greatly if they caved in on this. I don`t think they will.
    The average leaver on the street in County Durham doesn’t give two hoots about fishing let’s get real.

This is proper Westminster bubble stuff.
  • Options
    Not been a good few days for Katie Hopkins.

Guy Tricks Katie Hopkins Into Accepting 'C**T' Award

A YouTuber has pranked media commentator Katie Hopkins by making her accept the Campaign to United the Nation Trophy.

If you haven't figured it out yet, Josh Pieters absolutely trolled Ms Hopkins by making her get an award that spells out c***.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/viral-guy-tricks-katie-hopkins-into-accepting-ct-award-20200130
  • Options

Stocky said:

The average leaver on the street in County Durham doesn’t give two hoots about fishing let’s get real.

It's the Tories' equivalent of mining for Labour?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

I’d be really interested to hear what you think of it.
    I give it 6-12 months before you rock up in a US firm or in a senior in-house role.
  • Options

Stocky said:

That sounds crap to be honest!

Celebrate Global Britain at Hakkasan Mayfair instead!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Sky: 2 virus cases in England
  • Options

Not been a good few days for Katie Hopkins.

Guy Tricks Katie Hopkins Into Accepting 'C**T' Award

A YouTuber has pranked media commentator Katie Hopkins by making her accept the Campaign to United the Nation Trophy.

If you haven't figured it out yet, Josh Pieters absolutely trolled Ms Hopkins by making her get an award that spells out c***.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/viral-guy-tricks-katie-hopkins-into-accepting-ct-award-20200130

She seems to be the Leave/Right Wing foil for the lefty Remainers who fall for any bit of fake news that backs up their prejudices
  • Options

Stocky said:

I think that you tend to see things from the perspective of individual self interest.

This is not what Brexit was about and I still don`t think many remainers have understood this sufficiently. It`s not about self-interest, it`s about identity. I disagree with leavers about this, but have taken the time to understand their position (helped by the fact that I am surrounded by so many!).
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Burgon is buggered.....

Personally I’m just amused by the criticism of Rayner being a that she’s a loyalist. From someone who is the archetype of loyalist “the king is dead, long live the king”.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Stocky said:

That sounds crap to be honest!

Celebrate Global Britain at Hakkasan Mayfair instead!
    We went there this month and it was over £100 with no alcohol! Lumpy Chinese

Coach and Horses pub nearby is lovely though*

Rules in Cov Gdn is meant to be the best British place

*Hakkasan was lovely too
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686
    BBC News - First coronavirus cases confirmed in UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51325192
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I think that you tend to see things from the perspective of individual self interest.

This is not what Brexit was about and I still don`t think many remainers have understood this sufficiently. It`s not about self-interest, it`s about identity. I disagree with leavers about this, but have taken the time to understand their position (helped by the fact that I am surrounded by so many!).
    Do you think that James from Consett who works on the assembly line at Nissan would trade his job so the 10k who work in Fishing make a bit more profit?

The answer is no.

I’m not a deluded Remainer, I worked in County Durham in industry with plenty of Leavers. I know how they think.

Not once have I ever heard them celebrate the fact we’ll be fishing more fish.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:
    The lightweight response was the student organiser who said, “... It’s January and it would be borderline dangerous to switch off the central heating.”. Any sacrifice but the personal.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    matt said:

I give it 6-12 months before you rock up in a US firm or in a senior in-house role.
    I can absolutely guarantee that neither of those is going to happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Do you think that James from Consett who works on the assembly line at Nissan would trade his job so the 10k who work in Fishing make a bit more profit?

The answer is no.

I’m not a deluded Remainer, I worked in County Durham in industry with plenty of Leavers. I know how they think.

This isn`t about a worker in fishing making more profit. It`s about whether or not our country has the power to control who can and who can`t fish in our waters.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686

matt said:

I can absolutely guarantee that neither of those is going to happen.
    I suppose that you are not in need of good pensions advice at least!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

True. Yet people DO care. Especially Leavers. I sense that it's baked deep into their identity as natives of a rugged Island Nation. We have many times more hairdressers than fishermen but the thought of a cut and blow-dry somehow fails to stir the blood in quite the way that battling the elements for a catch does.

There is also the proprietorial aspect. Our waters. Our fish. The idea that boats from alien lands can just steam in and snaffle them causes real resentment. It feels to many like nothing less than theft and triggers (I suspect) subliminal thoughts of long ago and the Vikings.
  • Options
    Got to go catch my train to That London. Have a good 11pm.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The answer is no.

This isn`t about a worker in fishing making more profit. It`s about whether or not our country has the power to control who can and who can`t fish in our waters.
    Yes but that won’t matter if peoples jobs are on the line.

It’s all well and good the likes of @Byronic bigging up how much “suffering” leavers are willing to go through.

In reality the answer is “none”.

People voted Brexit because they thought it would make their lives better. To pretend otherwise is missing the point.

People believed their lives would be better with more sovereignty. That may be true but it also may be not.
  • Options
    This - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/the-times-view-on-the-crisis-in-the-judicial-system-court-in-limbo-djdlvbf33 - is serious and important. Of course, no-one will care - or not enough.

When people get exercised by grooming gangs and the like, it would be worth them remembering that without an effective criminal justice system to try such people within a reasonable time frame, there is no chance of there being any justice - even after investigation.

And yet - after a 40% cut to the Justice budget, the Chancellor wants another 5% on top.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Happy retirement Mr Meeks - may it be long and enjoyable.
  • Options
    Congratulations Mr Meeks, I'm sure Meeksit is must deserved and well earned.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

True. Yet people DO care. Especially Leavers. I sense that it's baked deep into their identity as natives of a rugged Island Nation. We have many times more hairdressers than fishermen but the thought of a cut and blow-dry somehow fails to stir the blood in quite the way that battling the elements for a catch does.

There is also the proprietorial aspect. Our waters. Our fish. The idea that boats from alien lands can just steam in and snaffle them causes real resentment. It feels to many like nothing less than theft and triggers (I suspect) subliminal thoughts of long ago and the Vikings.
    I’m sorry but this is romanticized nonsense.

On a fundamental level it all comes down to people believing life would be better outside the EU. Everything else is cotton wool.

And you know what, maybe they’r right?

But to suggest people are willing to suffer in order to protect “fishing rights” which they have no stake in is just fantasy. They might say they would if asked because people generally don’t think things can be worse, but push comes to shove? Not in a million years.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The answer is no.

It’s all well and good the likes of @Byronic bigging up how much “suffering” leavers are willing to go through.

People voted Brexit because they thought it would make their lives better. To pretend otherwise is missing the point.

People believed their lives would be better with more sovereignty. That may be true but it also may be not.
    Wasn’t the main motivation to vote Brexit the principle that decisions should be made in the UK and not in Brussels? I don’t recall seeing personal self-interest topping the list of reasons.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The answer is no.

Wasn’t the main motivation to vote Brexit the principle that decisions should be made in the UK and not in Brussels? I don’t recall seeing personal self-interest topping the list of reasons.
    Because they think decisions will be made to better their lives.

To suggest otherwise is either delusion, dishonesty, or stupidity.
  • Options
    matt said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:
    The lightweight response was the student organiser who said, “... It’s January and it would be borderline dangerous to switch off the central heating.”. Any sacrifice but the personal.
    “Borderline dangerous” - what bollocks! I grew up in houses without any central heating at all. Borderline uncomfortable, I grant you.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The answer is no.

Because they think decisions will be made to better their lives.

To suggest otherwise is either delusion, dishonesty, or stupidity.
    Is there polling evidence to back this up, that people would only vote Brexit if it made their own lives better?
  • Options
    @RobD travel to Sunderland and ask workers at Nissan if they are willing to trade their job for “Fishing Rights”.

I don’t think we need polling evidence.
This discussion has been closed.