Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irish General Election 2020 : Predictions & Review, Part One

Comments

• Options
    Evening folks, I'm just in Amsterdam atm, that's why I haven't been on much, I hope you like my article.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

Amazing how much 'hate' the SNP, a fairly unremarkable centre left party, inspires.

https://twitter.com/SocReview/status/1221474027501432832?s=20

Labour are now more likely to direct venom at the SNP than at whatever latest xenophobe fest Farage has dreamed up.

Just as well they aren’t actually reading the news and focussing their fire intelligently.* This story is just beyond extraordinary (not least that the officers who carried out this kidnap face no charges):

Man wrongfully arrested given £100k compensation by police
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-51255287

In nine years, it’s difficult to think of anything to do with Police Scotland that hasn’t been an utter fiasco. At what point will the SNP admit Police Scotland has been the most epic law enforcement clusterfuck since the Keystone Cops and replace it in its entirety with new local forces?

*Although this does of course partly explain why the SNP are getting away with a dismal domestic record.
    "Learning opportunities..."
    LOL, why not regale us with the wonderful English police , next to no crimes solved , grooming gangs running amok all over the country, knife murders and stabbings just about the worst in the world.
    Go on I dare you.
    Why do you assume I was making an anti-Scottish point? I would have made exactly the same post if I had read it in an article about an England based police force..
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Amazing how much 'hate' the SNP, a fairly unremarkable centre left party, inspires.

Labour are now more likely to direct venom at the SNP than at whatever latest xenophobe fest Farage has dreamed up.

Just as well they aren’t actually reading the news and focussing their fire intelligently.* This story is just beyond extraordinary (not least that the officers who carried out this kidnap face no charges):

In nine years, it’s difficult to think of anything to do with Police Scotland that hasn’t been an utter fiasco. At what point will the SNP admit Police Scotland has been the most epic law enforcement clusterfuck since the Keystone Cops and replace it in its entirety with new local forces?

*Although this does of course partly explain why the SNP are getting away with a dismal domestic record.
    Police Scotland are simply copying the incompetence of their English brethren, as outlined by me, ad nausea ...... see also the front page of yesterday’s Times.
    Kidnapping somebody and holding them for three days before trying to cover up what had happened using even more highly illegal methods is - fortunately - not that common in England.
    Ignoring multiple rapes and sexual assults and closing the cases when they have the evidence seems a lot worse to me
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

This tradegy is going to monopolise american media for the next few days, politics will be out of the menu there:
    https://twitter.com/WPLGLocal10/status/1221525932650844161

Bryant and his entire family killed.

That is tragic
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Police Scotland are simply copying the incompetence of their English brethren, as outlined by me, ad nausea ...... see also the front page of yesterday’s Times.
    Kidnapping somebody and holding them for three days before trying to cover up what had happened using even more highly illegal methods is - fortunately - not that common in England.
    Perhaps they were channeling the spirit of Sir Thomas Moore? I'm thinking of the embarrassing case of the chap who was found not guilty of heresy, but was errrr.... worked on to "save the bishops credit"
    Possibly, although the Guildford Four/Birmingham Six would surely be better parallels.

However, it’s worrying if their procedures are over fifty years out of date.
    You would be there for weeks if you were listing English police F*** ups and incompetence. maybe look a bit closer to home rather than trying the old "look a squirrel" tactics.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2020
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The FA should kick Liverpool out of the Cup and not let them back in until they have a new manager. He is an utter disgrace.
    Utter disrespect for the FA cup. It will be interesting if action is taken against an increasingly arrogant Liverpool
    Why should the FA Cup command respect? Or the League Cup or anything else.

If he doesn't respect the FA Cup then maybe the FA should try and make it worthy of respect rather than bemoan a lack of respect. Why should action be taken against Liverpool if they have other priorities?
    Well fine, but Liverpool just shouldn't bother entering them if they feel that way.
    Why? Let the Liverpool Reserves take on the game. It gives them experience, makes it a fairer match for the League One side and if Liverpool get through then the first team would take part in the Final if they get that far.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@stodge - the ridiculous thing about this is that no one minds too much Liverpool playing the squad players. They're still very good and it gives their opponents an outside chance. And no one would have moaned if Liverpool had played the same sort of team in the replay. But Klopp saying he won't turn up for the game is just bizarre.

Apparently the winter break heads of agreement precludes Liverpool's Premier League squad or their manager from playing/managing anywhere in the world during their two week winter break.

Is designed to stop Klopp from managing an all stars side made up of senior Liverpool playing for money during their break.

He's sticking to the agreement.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

O/T

With the new wordpress that powers PB you can set it up to play a music file whenever you're on PB.

So what do you want the PB theme to be?

1) Ode to Joy

2) Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley

3) I Touch Myself by The Divinyls

4) I Touch Myself by Scala & Kolancy Brothers

5) Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
    6) Shostakovich - Waltz no. 2
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

The FA should kick Liverpool out of the Cup and not let them back in until they have a new manager. He is an utter disgrace.
    Utter disrespect for the FA cup. It will be interesting if action is taken against an increasingly arrogant Liverpool
    What are you on about? You have to have sufficient respect for a competition you play in now? Klopp's being a whiner, but I don't see how whinging in turn about respect is a sensible response.
    I am not winging.

I have always held the FA cup in high regard since I first watched it in the mid 50s.

Indeed I have been to 15 Man Utd finals over the years and one year my daughter and I slept on the Stretford End overnight to get our tickets
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Stocky said:

You a layer of Trump at 1.84?

Yes. It's a great bet IMO.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

What are you on about? You have to have sufficient respect for a competition you play in now? Klopp's being a whiner, but I don't see how whinging in turn about respect is a sensible response.
    I am not winging.

I have always held the FA cup in high regard since I first watched it in the mid 50s.

Indeed I have been to 15 Man Utd finals over the years and one year my daughter and I slept on the Stretford End overnight to get our tickets
    This isn't the 50s.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    @TheScreamingEagles - you are not old enough to remember Christmas Day football, though the last time league games were played on consecutive days was 1994-95.

England don't lose because their players play too much football. They lose because they aren't good enough.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I am not winging.

How upset were you when Manchester United pulled out of the 1999/00 FA Cup?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

LOL, why not regale us with the wonderful English police , next to no crimes solved , grooming gangs running amok all over the country, knife murders and stabbings just about the worst in the world.
    Go on I dare you.
    Why do you assume I was making an anti-Scottish point? I would have made exactly the same post if I had read it in an article about an England based police force..
    It was to the previous posters who were
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@TheScreamingEagles - you are not old enough to remember Christmas Day football, though the last time league games were played on consecutive days was 1994-95.

England don't lose because their players play too much football. They lose because they aren't good enough.

Oops I meant played on Boxing Day and the 27th.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Evening folks, I'm just in Amsterdam atm, that's why I haven't been on much, I hope you like my article.

Was great thanks
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    "We send £350 million each week to the EU.
    Let's send it to them as a big pile of 50p pieces"

Bozo's Brexit.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I am not winging.

This isn't the 50s.
    It is a tradition that continues today.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392

DavidL said:

Saw 1917 tonight. Intense. Very good. Think the cinematography was good but didn’t quite live up to the hype. The impression was that it was in real time but it wasn’t. Did involve you though.

Brilliant performance by George MacKay.

I won't be bothering. Howard Jacobson once described Kubrick as 'all lens and no trousers'. I think it's a description that was actually a bit unfair in the case of Kubrick, but it applies perfectly to Sam Mendes.
    It’s worth it. So much better than Joker. That was just depressingly bad.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

If he doesn't respect the FA Cup then maybe the FA should try and make it worthy of respect rather than bemoan a lack of respect. Why should action be taken against Liverpool if they have other priorities?
    Well fine, but Liverpool just shouldn't bother entering them if they feel that way.
    Why? Let the Liverpool Reserves take on the game. It gives them experience, makes it a fairer match for the League One side and if Liverpool get through then the first team would take part in the Final if they get that far.
    With Klopp as manager, fine. It's his not showing up which is the problem.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562

Surely if they were more like the Tories, educational standards would be rising?
    The Gove/Cummings reforms seem to have resulted in more pupils leaving school with no qualifications.
    Well before, they left school with qualifications that weren't worth the paper they were printed on, so the situation now is at least easier for employers and university admissions staff.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I am not winging.

How upset were you when Manchester United pulled out of the 1999/00 FA Cup?
    Very and we were the defending holders
  • Options

speedy2 said:

This tradegy is going to monopolise american media for the next few days, politics will be out of the menu there:

That is tragic
    Certainly tragic , but SKY and BBC are way over the top on it , you would think nothing else happening in the world.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,980

I do like your article, @TheGreenMachine . Thank you.
  • Options

"We send £350 million each week to the EU.
    Let's send it to them as a big pile of 50p pieces"

Bozo's Brexit.

"We send £350 million each week to the EU. At that rate, HS2 will need nearly 6 years to be paid for!"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

I struggle to see why you would genuinely think it is amazing. Nationalist politics inspires a lot of hate, for and against their enemies, even if it is a milder nationalism than some since it is all about identity.
    If you think Scottish Nationalism 'is all about identity' you really haven't being paying attention.
    Yes, Scottish Nationalism is so much better than anyone else's nationalism.....
    Look the brownshirts just cannot help themselves, give us some data on child deaths in England and why they are 250% higher than those in Scotland
    They’re not. You’re telling porkies.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    tlg86 said:

@stodge - the ridiculous thing about this is that no one minds too much Liverpool playing the squad players. They're still very good and it gives their opponents an outside chance. And no one would have moaned if Liverpool had played the same sort of team in the replay. But Klopp saying he won't turn up for the game is just bizarre.

For many teams the Cup is a distraction. The financial benefit of for example promotion to the Premiership and the equivalent problems relegation back to the Championship causes weigh heavily.

Norwich are in Round 5 but would they trade a Cup run for Premiership survival? You'd have to ask Delia.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I am not winging.

This isn't the 50s.
    Treaty of Rome dates from 1957!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

Go on I dare you.
    We were trying to categorise the criminal stupidity of Police Scotland by referring to the various criminal stupidities of UK police forces. That's not anti-Scottish.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Certainly tragic , but SKY and BBC are way over the top on it , you would think nothing else happening in the world.
    Another example of our news broadcasters, especially at weekends, mindlessly following the American channels.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Yes, I haven't heard a thing about what Harry and Megan have been up to over the last few days.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    But this is the media who obsess over their own agendas

Both Sky and BBC are guilty of far too much coverage of US politics.

The BBC even continuing their 'beyond 100 days' news programme co hosted with a US presenter from Washington

And they wonder why we are so exasperated with them
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    I've never heard of him. Obviously it's extremely sad for everyone concerned.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

O/T

With the new wordpress that powers PB you can set it up to play a music file whenever you're on PB.

So what do you want the PB theme to be?

1) Ode to Joy

2) Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley

3) I Touch Myself by The Divinyls

4) I Touch Myself by Scala & Kolancy Brothers

Like, when you are in a library or in a meeting and you forget to mute it because you forget it does that? That would be splendid.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Another example of our news broadcasters, especially at weekends, mindlessly following the American channels.
    I'd be interested if you could find a major news site anywhere in the world where this isn't currently one of the top two stories.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Seriously? How interesting.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    stodge said:

tlg86 said:

For many teams the Cup is a distraction. The financial benefit of for example promotion to the Premiership and the equivalent problems relegation back to the Championship causes weigh heavily.

Norwich are in Round 5 but would they trade a Cup run for Premiership survival? You'd have to ask Delia.
    Wigan won the cup and got relegated. I'd happily take that for Newcastle. Last trophy, 1969.
  • Options
    stodge said:

tlg86 said:

In an ideal world, we'd take a decent chunk of the PL TV money and give it to the FA Cup to incentivise getting to R5/QFs over finishing a few places higher in the PL. But that's not going to happen.

I was at the Emirates the night Wigan were relegated from the PL three days after winning the FA Cup. I'm certain their fans wouldn't swap their Cup win for a few more PL seasons.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792

Indeed GM. I would have expected Sinn Féin to do well given their position in the polls, but I don't have anything like your knowledge.
  • Options

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

Wigan won the cup and got relegated. I'd happily take that for Newcastle. Last trophy, 1969.
    You won the Intertoto cup in 2006.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Neither have I to be honest
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

With Klopp as manager, fine. It's his not showing up which is the problem.
    Why? He's not a one-man-band, Critchley has experience and works for the club too. Critchley probably has more experience of the players who'll be playing than Klopp does.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Yes?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

I struggle to see why you would genuinely think it is amazing. Nationalist politics inspires a lot of hate, for and against their enemies, even if it is a milder nationalism than some since it is all about identity.
    If you think Scottish Nationalism 'is all about identity' you really haven't being paying attention.
    Look the brownshirts just cannot help themselves, give us some data on child deaths in England and why they are 250% higher than those in Scotland
    Scotland is lower and the decrease is large whilst England rises, I do not see you trumpeting that. You are keen to use any old numbers or fake news re Scotland, but seem reluctant to do any real comparisons with reality.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2020
    alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    I'd be interested if you could find a major news site anywhere in the world where this isn't currently one of the top two stories.
    Its big and tragic news.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Neither have I to be honest
    Less surprising.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

+1
  • Options

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

That is tragic
    Yes?
    The only Kobe I've heard of is the earthquake of 1995.
  • Options

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

You won the Intertoto cup in 2006.
    Get outta ere
  • Options

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

Go on I dare you.
    We were trying to categorise the criminal stupidity of Police Scotland by referring to the various criminal stupidities of UK police forces. That's not anti-Scottish.
    I merely said why the focus on only Scottish police force when others are significantly worse. It started as an anti - SNP comment and only pointed to Scotland whilst there are significantly bigger issues in English Police. A bit of balance maybe slagging the Tories as incompetent and some of the staggering F*** ups in England would perhaps have made it less unbalanced.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    edited January 2020
    It's time to shit can the league cup and FA cup replays. That or give PL teams a bye into the 4th round instead. Give the league cup Europa League spot to sixth in the Premier League

I hate myself for agreeing with Klopp, but it's time to actually do something about fixture congestion. Other European leagues don't have this problem, only we do.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

It is very good. Could we have a one sentence bio of you so we can see where you are coming from?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

It is very good. Could we have a one sentence bio of you so we can see where you are coming from?
    I'm from Belfast.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's time to shit can the league cup and FA cup replays. That or give PL teams a bye into the 4th round instead. Give the league cup Europa League spot to sixth in the Premier League

I hate myself for agreeing with Klopp, but it's time to actually do something about fixture congestion. Other European leagues don't have this problem, only we do.

What fixture congestion? Congestion is when you have more games than weekends and midweeks; that is not the case here.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Facts available at - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/bulletins/avoidablemortalityinenglandandwales/2017
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My suggestion for the EFL Cup is to

1) Abolish the two legged semis

2) Bar the teams who have qualified for Europe from entry to that season's EFL Cup.

There's also an argument to be made that to protect the FA Cup replays we move the third round of the FA Cup to December.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    MaxPB said:

In the old days, the Cup winners got a European entry into the Cup Winners Cup but that no longer exists.

As usual, I fundamentally disagree with you - I see no reason to make life easy for the top clubs who have deep squads and deeper pockets. It's much easier for them to play 60 games a season than it is a team like Oxford United.

I'd give the Cup winners the fourth Champions League slot and if said Cup winners are already there it should go to the losing finalists.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Not sure what the big deal is about Liverpool not playing any senior players and Klopp not managing the team for the replay .

Liverpool’s priority is the League and Champions League .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited January 2020

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I am not winging.

You don't think you're whinging, and I am free to believe otherwise. You hold it in high regard, fine, what does that have to do with anything? Klopp was being childish, but the anger at his displaying insufficient respect because of your own personal regard for the competition is absolutely whinging. He's not required to hold it in the same regard as you. That doesn't make him less childish in his comments, but I don't see what it is to do with you, or me, if he holds a different view, we're not arbiters of moral judgement.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

"https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/bulletins/avoidablemortalityinenglandandwales/2017..."
    Go on I dare you.
    I merely said why the focus on only Scottish police force when others are significantly worse. It started as an anti - SNP comment and only pointed to Scotland whilst there are significantly bigger issues in English Police. A bit of balance maybe slagging the Tories as incompetent and some of the staggering F*** ups in England would perhaps have made it less unbalanced.
    I would say that the evidence is that there is an even level of incompetence, criminality and lumpen stupidity through out the police forces of the UK. In particular, the "Lessons will be learned/Learning opportunities" bullshit is SOP for a UK police force when they fuck up.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Not sure what the big deal is about Liverpool not playing any senior players and Klopp not managing the team for the replay .

Liverpool fans were prepared to lose (heavily) to Everton in the third round if it meant we won the league, Liverpool fans are going to back Klopp here.

We won't be confident about winning the league even if we're 29 points ahead of second place with 10 games to play.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

2) Bar the teams who have qualified for Europe from entry to that season's EFL Cup.

There's also an argument to be made that to protect the FA Cup replays we move the third round of the FA Cup to December.
    Nah, 90 mins then pens works for an FA cup draw.

The Premier League needs to just not be in the league cup. I honestly don't care that the EFL just got some sponsorship deal with a dodgy Asian energy drinks company, it's their problem and the Premier League needs to handle it.

All of this is killing England's chances at major tournaments. Kane is probably not going to be fit, Rashford definitely won't be. The FA needs to decide whether the league cup is more important than England's chances of landing any kind of trophy. There no point in having two domestic cups.
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

In the old days, the Cup winners got a European entry into the Cup Winners Cup but that no longer exists.

As usual, I fundamentally disagree with you - I see no reason to make life easy for the top clubs who have deep squads and deeper pockets. It's much easier for them to play 60 games a season than it is a team like Oxford United.

I'd give the Cup winners the fourth Champions League slot and if said Cup winners are already there it should go to the losing finalists.
    If they got rid of the league cup, I'd probably be ok with the fourth champions league spot going to the winner/loser of the FA cup. I think that's a fair compromise and it would massively increase the competitiveness of it. Look at how much more competitive the knock out stages of the Europa League has become since it got a winners champions league spot.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The Premier League needs to just not be in the league cup. I honestly don't care that the EFL just got some sponsorship deal with a dodgy Asian energy drinks company, it's their problem and the Premier League needs to handle it.

All of this is killing England's chances at major tournaments. Kane is probably not going to be fit, Rashford definitely won't be. The FA needs to decide whether the league cup is more important than England's chances of landing any kind of trophy. There no point in having two domestic cups.
    Works for me.

It is interesting that managers that come from the football powerhouses (and internationally successful countries) say we play too many games and it stops us winning international tournaments.

I mean what do the likes of Wenger, Conte, Guardiola, Ancelotti, and Klopp know?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

Go on I dare you.
    Just for you - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/01/17/a-toxic-culture/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Works for me.

It is interesting that managers that come from the football powerhouses (and internationally successful countries) say we play too many games and it stops us winning international tournaments.

I mean what do the likes of Wenger, Conte, Guardiola, Ancelotti, and Klopp know?
    Leave Wenger out of this. That man has won more FA Cups than any other manager.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I endorse that
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Works for me.

But no one wants to get rid of the fa cup, in fact making it the only domestic trophy will probably help it be taken more seriously by managers, especially if the FA and PL agreed that the compromise will be a winners champions league spot.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    News here in the US is reporting that the five dead in the Calabasas helicopter crash were Kobe Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, a teammate of Gianna, one of the teammate’s parents and the helicopter pilot.

Reportedly they were flying to a game Gianna and her teammate were due to be playing in. The aircraft went down in very foggy conditions.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Works for me.

But no one wants to get rid of the fa cup, in fact making it the only domestic trophy will probably help it be taken more seriously by managers, especially if the FA and PL agreed that the compromise will be a winners champions league spot.
    You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think the PL will give up a CL spot.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited January 2020
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I am not winging.

You don't think you're whinging, and I am free to believe otherwise. You hold it in high regard, fine, what does that have to do with anything? Klopp was being childish, but the anger at his displaying insufficient respect because of your own personal regard for the competition is absolutely whinging. He's not required to hold it in the same regard as you. That doesn't make him less childish in his comments, but I don't see what it is to do with you, or me, if he holds a different view, we're not arbiters of moral judgement.
    He is required to respect the other teams and supporters and to be honest, he should have done what Man Utd did in 2000 and withdraw, as they too had to play in the World Club Final and did just that
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Facts available at - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/bulletins/avoidablemortalityinenglandandwales/2017
    LOL how Tory , you choose 2017 , surely just by chance.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Works for me.

Kick the prima donnas out of it and let the real football teams contest it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Or because the page says

"this is the latest release"?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Some good facts here, Carlotta would never use them as they show how good a job SNP have done since they came to power, Scotland has had a big big drop.
    https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/infant-and-neonatal-mortality
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Some good facts here, Carlotta would never use them as they show how good a job SNP have done since they came to power, Scotland has had a big big drop.
    But it all ends in 2017 ;)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Latest data I found
  • Options
    alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Or because the page says

"this is the latest release"?
    there are plenty of others
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Is there any point to the EFL Cup when we already have the FA Cup?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Clue is in the name.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

But it all ends in 2017 ;)
    some later data , same results though https://www.scotpho.org.uk/population-dynamics/pregnancy-births-and-maternity/data/maternal-and-birth-outcomes/
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Latest data I found
    I note Carlotta is in hiding as data does not support her hatred of the SNP.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Both reports do not show that child deaths are 250% higher in England Vs Scotland.

Incidentally, the Nuffield report you link to is using the ONS data for England, Scotland and Wales.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Just the league.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    What are we thinking...

"ministers are poised to allow Huawei, effectively China’s state-owned tech company, to play a central role in the development of Britain’s 5G network. This technology is not, as some say, simply the next generation for mobile phones. It will be at the heart of everything we do – in life at home, commerce, public services and our national security – for years to come."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/26/handing-5g-network-huawei-would-generation-defining-error/
  • Options
    We should reject Huawei, and accept that 5G will be years late in the UK.

And then ask ourselves long and deeply why we can't develop next gen Internet technology in the country that invented the computer.

• Options
    There should be a Royal Commission into why we don't have the capacity, with alliances with other Western countries, to develop 5G at the same time as the Chinese.

What on earth are we thinking?
  • Options

What are we thinking...

"ministers are poised to allow Huawei, effectively China’s state-owned tech company, to play a central role in the development of Britain’s 5G network. This technology is not, as some say, simply the next generation for mobile phones. It will be at the heart of everything we do – in life at home, commerce, public services and our national security – for years to come."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/26/handing-5g-network-huawei-would-generation-defining-error/

If true - and I fear it is - a disastrous decision. Quite the worst any government will take in my lifetime, I suspect.
  • Options
    The FA cup was MASSIVE when I was a kid. Bigger than the league. It was the glamour comp to win. It was Laura Pidcock to the league's Kier Starmer.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Why is that funny? The Brexiteers own the result. The negative consequences are theirs to deal with.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Both reports do not show that child deaths are 250% higher in England Vs Scotland.

Incidentally, the Nuffield report you link to is using the ONS data for England, Scotland and Wales.
    What I mentioned was in a tweet but cannot find it , I think it was the drop in last year rather than overall number. England is rising I believe whilst Scotland is dropping significantly over recent years.
    I was taunting Carlotta as she constantly pushes lies about SNP and NHS in Scotland. As you will have seen she disappeared quickly.
  • Options

And then ask ourselves long and deeply why we can't develop next gen Internet technology in the country that invented the computer.

A huge part of the equation is Huawei being able to undercut Western companies due to Chinese government subsidies. It's completely crazy that we're going to allow it, but speaks volumes about the complete c***s in the civil service that are pushing to approve it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

A huge part of the equation is Huawei being able to undercut Western companies due to Chinese government subsidies. It's completely crazy that we're going to allow it, but speaks volumes about the complete c***s in the civil service that are pushing to approve it.
    Of course it’s the civil service’s fault and not the government’s.
    Jesus wept.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Clue is in the name.
    Yes, but is there any point to it?
  • Options

RobD said:
    Why is that funny? The Brexiteers own the result. The negative consequences are theirs to deal with.
    And the positive ones
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:
    It's funny because all the action in Parliament was about preventing Brexit (or a hard Brexit, if you are charitable). They've ended up even closer to that result than they would have had they voted for May's deal.
  • Options

RobD said:
    And the positive ones
    If there are any, sure.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

What I mentioned was in a tweet but cannot find it , I think it was the drop in last year rather than overall number. England is rising I believe whilst Scotland is dropping significantly over recent years.
    I was taunting Carlotta as she constantly pushes lies about SNP and NHS in Scotland. As you will have seen she disappeared quickly.
    The differences between the countries are mostly statistical noise. The changes over time are very much in step with each other.
This discussion has been closed.