Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunday Morning Polling Round Up

13»

Comments

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    edited December 2013

Clemence
    Neal
    Hughes
    Thompson
    Kennedy A
    Souness
    McDermott
    Kennedy R
    Case
    Dalglish
    Johnson

Harvey
    Madeley
    Hunter
    McQueen
    Cooper
    Bremner
    Giles
    Gray
    Lorrimar
    Jordan
    Clarke

Jennings
    Rice
    Young
    O'Leary
    Nelson
    Price
    Brady
    Rix
    Macdonald
    Stapleton
    Sunderland

Bruce Grobbelaar
    Mark Lawrenson
    Jim Beglin
    Steve Nicol
    Ronnie Whelan
    Alan Hansen
    Kenny Dalglish
    Craig Johnston
    Ian Rush
    Jan Mølby
    Kevin MacDonald

I don't know the context of your post, by the way.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I sense a quiet despair and confusion in PB Nat ranks today. That poll was a bummer, wasn't it? You're going to lose, and there seems to be nothing you can do about it. Painful.

I'm fairly confident you'll be thinking the reverse shortly, possibly even today, then the reverse again and so on.

Weather vane Unionism:

'But unofficially, the mood is bleak. Some of the Prime Minister’s chief strategists now argue that the battle is lost and that a Yes vote is not only possible but probable. '

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Scott, Go on to iPlayer and watch Question Time from Falkirk, there you will see real opinion in Scotland. people were not cheering The Tories, Lib Dems or Labour. This will give an honest reflection of what real public opinion is like and I doubt even you could spin it as being for NO.

At the beginning of that QT, Dimbleby explicitly said that the audience had been SELECTED so it was split 50/50 Yes and No. It was engineered to be argumentative, not representative of actual Scots opinion. Which, as we all know, is actually split about two to one in favour of No.

So your point is entirely specious.
    Did you listen to that 50-50 split and the reactions to the questions, it was more like YES 80%. As soon as people hear reality and see the unionist cretins and their constant negativity they swing to YES.
    Try listening to the audience reaction.
  • Options
    The Scottish independence referendum will end up being like the one on AV - a 'No' so resounding that we'll wonder why they bothered holding it in the first place.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Scott, Go on to iPlayer and watch Question Time from Falkirk, there you will see real opinion in Scotland. people were not cheering The Tories, Lib Dems or Labour. This will give an honest reflection of what real public opinion is like and I doubt even you could spin it as being for NO.

At the beginning of that QT, Dimbleby explicitly said that the audience had been SELECTED so it was split 50/50 Yes and No. It was engineered to be argumentative, not representative of actual Scots opinion. Which, as we all know, is actually split about two to one in favour of No.

Didn't see the start of QT, but if that engineered 50/50 split is true, it would be madness to use that audience as representative.

Maybe a Nat will acknowledge this?
    The whole point is that it is at worst representative, relying on YouGov poorly weighted polls is what is unrepresentative. Also it was strange that at least 80% seemed to be on the YES side so the 50-50 did not survive the debate , rather as we see up here regularly , when done in public it is YES that is popular and not teh Naysayers and their constant negative dirge which is only loved by the union media.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Did supermac play in the same side as Stapleton and Sunderland? Brian Talbot was a regular around that time.
  • Options

SeanT said:

I sense a quiet despair and confusion in PB Nat ranks today. That poll was a bummer, wasn't it? You're going to lose, and there seems to be nothing you can do about it. Painful.

I'm fairly confident you'll be thinking the reverse shortly, possibly even today, then the reverse again and so on.

Weather vane Unionism:

'But unofficially, the mood is bleak. Some of the Prime Minister’s chief strategists now argue that the battle is lost and that a Yes vote is not only possible but probable. '

He would not recognise sense if hit hit him fair square on the face, prefers the view from the London bubble.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Didn't see the start of QT, but if that engineered 50/50 split is true, it would be madness to use that audience as representative.

The whole point is that it is at worst representative, relying on YouGov poorly weighted polls is what is unrepresentative. Also it was strange that at least 80% seemed to be on the YES side so the 50-50 did not survive the debate , rather as we see up here regularly , when done in public it is YES that is popular and not teh Naysayers and their constant negative dirge which is only loved by the union media.

So you think over half of Scotland favour the 5/1 shot that is yes?
  • Options

The Scottish independence referendum will end up being like the one on AV - a 'No' so resounding that we'll wonder why they bothered holding it in the first place.

LOL, you care to back your "resounding" NO
  • Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

I am saying that it is very far from the crap that is YouGov fantasy land.
  • Options

Clemence
    Neal
    Hughes
    Thompson
    Kennedy A
    Souness
    McDermott
    Kennedy R
    Case
    Dalglish
    Johnson

Harvey
    Madeley
    Hunter
    McQueen
    Cooper
    Bremner
    Giles
    Gray
    Lorrimar
    Jordan
    Clarke

Jennings
    Rice
    Young
    O'Leary
    Nelson
    Price
    Brady
    Rix
    Macdonald
    Stapleton
    Sunderland

Bruce Grobbelaar
    Mark Lawrenson
    Jim Beglin
    Steve Nicol
    Ronnie Whelan
    Alan Hansen
    Kenny Dalglish
    Craig Johnston
    Ian Rush
    Jan Mølby
    Kevin MacDonald

I don't know the context of your post, by the way.
    Lukic
    Dixon
    Winterburn
    Bould
    Adams
    Thomas
    Richardson
    Rocastle
    Marwood
    Merson
    Smith

Anything else was weird and phased me

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    AveryLP said:

@SMukesh

[...continued]

When one-off schemes are set up to address specific economic problems then the sums earned by Central Banks can far exceed the normal annual limits. This is the case with the QE programme set up to stimulate the economy following the 2007-9 crash. Here, under the "Asset Purchase Facility", the BoE bought illiquid but sound assets from financial and commercial organisations and financed the purchases by (indirectly) issuing gilts. In other words the government borrowed money to provide liquidity to 'the banks' by buying assets on their books which they couldn't easily sell for good cash in the prevailing crisis.

The banks got cash to keep their businesses liquid and to enable them to continue operations (e.g. lending) and the BoE in return got perfectly good assets (say loans, bonds etc.) from which it earned normal returns. Because of the size of APF (to date £375 bn), the BoE was indemnified by the Treasury against any losses which might occur from the programme. Originally it was agreed that the Treasury would be paid for this indemnity on the winding up of the scheme.

However, as size of the scheme grew and its likely termination became extended, this open ended indemnity was exchanged for (paid for by) an agreement by the BoE to remit cash balances arising from APF operations to the Treasury. A one off amount of around £35 bn was agreed to be paid during 2013 over a nine month period in addition to ongoing but much smaller quarterly payments. The £35 bn is clearly well above normal limits (£12 bn per year) for Central Bank entrepreneurial income to be included in national borrowing figures. Hence the reason that Osborne is receiving £4 bn per month but this is not being shown in the borrowing figures.

I hope this answers your question adequately! You might ask how the BoE gets the cash to pay the Treasury. Apart from fees and margins arising out of the asset purchase transactions, the assets purchased eventually mature and naturally convert to cash. For example loans purchased get paid off and bonds mature all leading to the BoE realising cash from the APF programme.

Thank you for a detailed explanation.What I am surprised by is this not being mentioned by any financial journalist before!Hopefully we`ll get to hear about it more in the coming months!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

And yet, they do nothing. Its odd.

What's your suggestion for what they could be doing?
    do as Labour bid.

I'd imagine Labour would want them to carry on doing exactly what they are doing...
    jonathan and bobajob seem to disagree.
  • Options
    Sean, Do you seriously think polls a year out point to results in a vote. We do not have to look very far back to see a similar picture. The level of support is not 26% that is for sure.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Did you listen to that 50-50 split and the reactions to the questions, it was more like YES 80%. As soon as people hear reality and see the unionist cretins and their constant negativity they swing to YES.
    Oh the Nats are louder. They have to be. They have to persuade a deeply reluctant nation of their cause, so they have to get out there and emote.

But it's not working, is it? Unless every pollster in the UK is having a collective aneurysm, it seems you are headed for a crushing defeat.

What's the plan now? You've published your White Paper and the response is a poll giving you 26% support. What's next? What else can you do?
    tim has remarked on the reluctance of Scottish women to back Yes. Perhaps it's time to drop pilot Salmond and give the First Ministership to Sturgeon.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

The poll in the Daily Mail was nothing to do with Yougov but the figures were just as dismal for the YES csmpaign .
  • Options
    This site would be a lot better if there were far fewer comments.

From some people. . .
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Au contraire - it will have been well worh it for three decades of quiet that will result....
  • Options
    Tom said:

Did supermac play in the same side as Stapleton and Sunderland? Brian Talbot was a regular around that time.

Slightly before my time, but didn't Talbot play for Ipswich while Mac was At AFC?

That said it looks a v attacking line up for Boring old Arsenal!

• Options

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

The poll in the Daily Mail was nothing to do with Yougov but the figures were just as dismal for the YES csmpaign .
    It was done by YouGov as per earlier explanations and so will be only half the actual vote, do try to keep up
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

AveryLP said:

And Osborne/Alexander haven't lost sight of this goal. We are now more likely than not to 'balance the budget' by 2017 than at any stage of this parliament to date.

Your problem is that 2017 is about time for the next recession to start.

And in the decade before then government debt will have increased by approximately a TRILLION quid.

What do we do after 2017 ? Borrow another trillion ?

Provided the debt can serviced out of a balanced budget and its extent as a proportion to GDP is falling then the country will be moving away from danger.

Forecasting 2017 as the likely timing for the next recession is somewhat pessimistic, ar! It is possible that the post 2007-9 recession recovery will have reached full exit velocity by then but more probably we will have reached mid-cycle with a few years of upswing to come.

But you are right about resilience. Balancing the books in mid-cycle and a declining Debt:GDP ratio will not be enough to buffer us against future downturns. So there will need to be a period of debt pay down financed by budget surpluses to build the buffer, but this need not involve radical surgery just sustained discipline.

The aim should not be to pay off the trillion of debt but to gradually reduce it as a proportion of GDP to the point that its extent is no longer an economic threat.

Another couple of terms of Osborne and Alexander will be enough to do the trick.

• Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Sean, Do you seriously think polls a year out point to results in a vote. We do not have to look very far back to see a similar picture. The level of support is not 26% that is for sure.

Apart from a few outliers, support for independence has been about 30%, and opposition about 50%, for as long as I can remember. If I had to make a prediction, I think the result won't be far off that.

But now I must take my quarter Scottish daughter to Willows Farm Village to see Santa. Anon.
    Have fun, tell Santa to get me a nice big present this year
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

From some people. . .

Take your advice and shut up then
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Au contraire - it will have been well worh it for three decades of quiet that will result....

Now that's one of the most naive things ever posted on here!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

It was done by YouGov as per earlier explanations and so will be only half the actual vote, do try to keep up
    No it was done by Progressive Scottish Opinion a Scottish company .
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited December 2013
    malcolmg said:

Swiss_Bob said:

From some people. . .

Pricked you did it? I was referring to those who dribble all over every post, the site bores but well done you for being such a good competitor.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Very bad tempered thread on here today...The SNP posters seem particularly agitated which suggests they are losing confidence..
  • Options
    Seeing as no political bettors are tempted by the 8/13 arb how about 4/6 LDS bt UKIP in 2015 vote %?

Good in £90 to the first five happy punters
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

But you are right about resilience. Balancing the books in mid-cycle and a declining Debt:GDP ratio will not be enough to buffer us against future downturns. So there will need to be a period of debt pay down financed by budget surpluses to build the buffer, but this need not involve radical surgery just sustained discipline.

AveryLP said:

Another couple of terms of Osborne and Alexander will be enough to do the trick.

Your two quotes are in contradiction.

And you are of course aware of the underlying complacency of your assumptions.

A country which has become addicted to living £100bn beyond its means, has a permanent trade deficit and miserable productivity growth has problems too fundamental for a few years of economic growth to solve.

• Options

Progressive Opinion use the Yougov Scottish panel for their online polls. The Mail doesn't say whether it's web or phone.

• Options
    Yoy

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Doh, who use YouGov and their crap weighting

Very bad tempered thread on here today...The SNP posters seem particularly agitated which suggests they are losing confidence..

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Yoy

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Doh, who use YouGov and their crap weighting

Quite the opposite Richard
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

malcolmg said:

Swiss_Bob said:

From some people. . .

Pricked you did it? I was referring to those who dribble all over every post, the site bores but well done you for being such a good competitor.
    No just that your pathetic post suggested that you should take your own advice if you had nothing to add to the debate. Your next one confirmed it , back to your toys.
  • Options
    @ malcomg

Even if it were an online poll ( which we do not know ) and Yougov's panel were used they would almost certainly have used their own version of weighting .
  • Options

Progressive Opinion use the Yougov Scottish panel for their online polls. The Mail doesn't say whether it's web or phone.

Think it is Mark very Senior today
  • Options
    Maybe Scotland is like this site in that a debate on the subject and you'd think independence was a shoo in, then you see it's just 2 or 3 very committed supporters that post more often and with more vigour than the majority, who are unionists?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

And then we'll endure hundreds of posts complaining it wasn't fair, what would've happened if blah blah, using another voting system would have meant Yes won yawn...

That some here are still flogging the AV system alternative shows us what is it come. When I won POTY, that another poster wanted to rerun it showing that FPTP was flawed because I did just shows how desperate it all gets.
  • Options
    At 650ish pages - that makes the document weigh about 2 or 3kgs - could the Scottish Gov afford to send one to every voter? What's the postage on that? A tenner or more?

As you noted earlier - its makes the Gettysburg Address look like a Post-It note.

And it wants the BoE to be their lender of last resort? They're having a larf. The comments in the Times were most coruscating.
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Oh the Nats are louder. They have to be. They have to persuade a deeply reluctant nation of their cause, so they have to get out there and emote.

But it's not working, is it? Unless every pollster in the UK is having a collective aneurysm, it seems you are headed for a crushing defeat.

What's the plan now? You've published your White Paper and the response is a poll giving you 26% support. What's next? What else can you do?
  • Options
    MG As someone who makes a shedload of dosh analysing speech patterns and dialogue I would say that the SNP posters are in a very defensive mode and using aggresive terminology to express their desires with regard to the Ref outcome..not a lot of confidence on display there...
  • Options
    There's a huge volume of bluster and not much else. As ever. I love @malcolmG and insulting others is his signature chamber pot = but the number of angry rude posts from our SNP commenters shows they're very rattled.

And justifiably so if the slew of polls over recent months is an indicator of their fate.

No is looking at a big win and has done for ages.

MG As someone who makes a shedload of dosh analysing speech patterns and dialogue I would say that the SNP posters are in a very defensive mode and using aggresive terminology to express their desires with regard to the Ref outcome..not a lot of confidence on display there...

• Options
    Plato said:

At 650ish pages - that makes the document weigh about 2 or 3kgs - could the Scottish Gov afford to send one to every voter? What's the postage on that? A tenner or more?

As you noted earlier - its makes the Gettysburg Address look like a Post-It note.

And it wants the BoE to be their lender of last resort? They're having a larf. The comments in the Times were most coruscating.

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Carney has already invited Salmond for discussions on the currency, having no axe to grind he realises it makes sense. Copies are only sent out hard copy if you request it , first 20,000 are gone and another 10,000 ordered. You can get it in e-book and pdf.
  • Options
    Plato said:

There's a huge volume of bluster and not much else. As ever. I love @malcolmG and insulting others is his signature chamber pot = but the number of angry rude posts from our SNP commenters shows they're very rattled.

And justifiably so if the slew of polls over recent months is an indicator of their fate.

Richard you are robbing people then or they are just plain stupid paying you loads to be told the tosh they want to hear. This is confidence it is in the bag, truth will out.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Plato said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Carney has already invited Salmond for discussions on the currency, having no axe to grind he realises it makes sense. Copies are only sent out hard copy if you request it , first 20,000 are gone and another 10,000 ordered. You can get it in e-book and pdf.
    The perfect Christmas gift.

• Options
    MG You have just proved my point...
  • Options
    isam said:

Maybe Scotland is like this site in that a debate on the subject and you'd think independence was a shoo in, then you see it's just 2 or 3 very committed supporters that post more often and with more vigour than the majority, who are unionists?

It is far from a shoo in given there has been 300 years of brain washing , it is hard for some people to be decisive, lots of wimps about who are always scared and prefer others to make their decisions. However the worm is turning and the scales are dropping from peoples eyes, the time has come.
  • Options
    MG,

'Scottish Independence' as set out by the SNP is so oxymoronic, moronic it's not even worth debating.
  • Options

MG You have just proved my point...

Richard, just you have had too many pre lunch aperitifs today. It is about time I went and had a refreshment , after 3pm , I am slipping badly. Need to get my expenses in for my recent rip off trip to London. Shysters on every corner.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Plato said:

It's admirably ambitious that you don't limit yourself on subjects you know very little about.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    It seems to me that the YES campaign is struggling to build up a coalition just as Yes2AV did. Even with the Lib Dems 'sponsoring' AV, half of Labour including its leader in favour, and a host of minority parties, there wasn't nearly enough of a coalition built up.

It seems to me the SNP are in a far worse position at this stage. Where are the backers they've managed to peel off from the other parties? What about business groups? What about prominent Scots? At the moment the YES campaign feels like the SNP + Eddi Reader, and it's hard to see that being enough to make it competitive
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

MG,

'Scottish Independence' as set out by the SNP is so oxymoronic, moronic it's not even worth debating.

Bob Boring , why post then , go pester someone else
This discussion has been closed.