Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will UKIP outpoll the Lib Dems at the 2015 General Election

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, a friend of mine (upon hearing I was very loosely using some Cornishness for a certain part of a fantasy land) elsewhere suggested I use the apparently real place name of Ventongimps. Research has also uncovered a village called Mousehole.

I don't suppose your thriller will be set in Ventongimps? :p

An old friend of my dad's lived in Mousehole (pronounced, from memory, something like mouzzul), and we used to go there every couple of years. We turned up one Easter to discover he had died the day before.

Oh, and for the cartophiles amongst us, the Ordnance Survey sea level datum was set from the nearby Newlyn Harbour.

There is something about Cornwall that is unutterably beautiful. History and wilderness at what must have seemed the very edge of the world. I love it, even if it is a bit of a swine to walk around.
    Have you done a few days on the coastal path? I'm guessing yes? I did Portreath all the way to Cape Cornwall (four days), on a bright, cold, sunny week in early Spring, 1997; the best moment was actually in Zennor, which is where I first saw Comet Hale Bopp - literally poised over the pinnacles of Zennor church, one starry midnight.

Absolutely spine tingling. Yes, Cornwall is special. There's nowhere like it on God's good green earth.
    What a coincidence — Ruth's Coastal Walk just happens to be at Land's End at the moment:

http://ruthl.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited November 2013

The UK will not leave the EU. The balance of forces is overwhelmingly against such an outcome.

The question is how long can that mottley list of reprobates remain unified. Should 'ever closer union' take place nobody in this country envisages us joining the Eurozone. Over what will be a short period of time we will then see ourselves suspended in Euro limbo land where we will have all the disadvantages of remaining (and few of the advantages) and none of the advantages of being outside its stranglehold.

Add to that that we will likely suffer some serious blows through QMV in the meantime and given the inherent scepticism to the EU I think it is inevitable that we will reach a point where withdrawal is the only logical option. It may take a decade it may take a generation but we will leave.

• Options

I was reporting this here last year, when Richard N and others were insisting that the EU would be ready to make major concessions to keep us on board. They're bored with Cameron's poses and flounces. We want to stay? Fine. We want to leave? OK. We want massive changes as a condition for staying? Forget it.

What a strange post in response to a summary of an opinion poll. You seem to be making the massive error of assuming that the concessions obtainable are somehow related to public opinion in other EU states, indeed to public opinion in minor EU states.

Nick, the EU doesn't work like that. Surely you of all people should know that?
    It does so work like that. Passing a treaty of the full EU is very, very hard. It has a vast number of veto points, many of them with very little to lose for vetoing it. It only gets done if nearly everyone agrees with it. Even then it risks getting blown up by popular opposition in a single large member state, or repeated popular opposition in a small member state.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    rcs1000 He did defy Miliband and vote for an EU referendum, but perhaps John Cryer, Austin Mitchell and Jeremy Corbyn would have been better examples. In total 19 Labour MPs voted for a referendum, plus LD Adrian Sanders and Caroline Lucas (although I believe the Greens want to stay in)
    http://liberalconspiracy.org/2011/10/24/up-to-10-labour-mps-could-defy-eu-whip/
  • Options
    AndyJS Yes Gravity is the best film I saw this year, and while no 2001 it not only had tremendous views of space but also had some insights into life's fragility!
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Opinium found that just 26% of British voters regard the EU as, overall, a "good thing" compared with 42% who say it is a "bad thing". In Poland 62% say it is a good thing and 13% bad; in Germany 55% good and 17% bad, and in France 36% good and 34% bad.

When asked about the UK's contribution to the EU, there is little enthusiasm among our partners, and little to suggest they will go out of their way to keep us in. Just 9% of Germans and 15% of French people think the UK is a positive influence on the EU, with more Poles, 33%, taking that view.

Only 16% of Germans and 26% of French people back the idea of a special deal being struck for the UK. Cameron has said he intends to renegotiate the UK terms of entry and hold an in/out referendum if he wins a majority at the next election, offering the new arrangement to the British people in a referendum.

The idea of Britain leaving the EU does not appear to worry our European partners unduly. Just 24% of French voters said a UK exit would have a negative effect, compared with 36% of Germans and 51% of Poles.

I was reporting this here last year, when Richard N and others were insisting that the EU would be ready to make major concessions to keep us on board. They're bored with Cameron's poses and flounces. We want to stay? Fine. We want to leave? OK. We want massive changes as a condition for staying? Forget it.

Perfect. I really hope they don't give any ground. Cameron tries to be reasonable, EU refuses to compromise, we leave. Sounds like a winning formula.

The UK will not leave the EU. The balance of forces is overwhelmingly against such an outcome. In favour of staying in we have

The Labour Party
    The Liberal Democrats
    The SNP
    Plaid Cymru
    The NI parties, with the exception of Sinn Fein
    The City
    The CBI
    The TUC
    The EEF and most other large employer organisations
    Foreign investors - Nissan, Honda etc etc
    UK companies with significant trade with the EU
    The US government
    Other EU governments
    The Universities
    Most local authorities
    The Guardian, Mirror, FT, Independent
    Quite a number of senior Tories, including John Major, Kenneth Clarke and (we must assume) David Cameron

In favour of coming out we have

UKIP
    The majority of the Tory party
    The Sun, Mail, Times & Telegraph
    and, er..........

Withdrawal is a chimera and will not happen.

So the "balance of forces" are more important than what voters think, which is that 50% or thereabouts want to pull out.
  • Options
    EdinTokyo It depends on how it is spun, and what Merkel is willing to concede, but it does at least suggest a majority of public opinion is sceptical of the EU, but not downright opposed to it
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think one of the reasons why HS2 isn't very popular around the country is that the first place to benefit from it will be Birmingham and that city is never very high in the popularity ratings as, for example, we saw on this blog yesterday evening.
  • Options
    It's dispiriting that a professional writer doesnt respect the difference between disinterested and uninterested.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@anothernick

'The UK will not leave the EU. The balance of forces is overwhelmingly against such an outcome. In favour of staying in we have'

Shame, you forgot about voters.

Ever since the UK joined the EU in 1973 opinion polls have consistently shown a majority for leaving. The only time when this was not the case was in 1975, when voters were actually faced with making a decision on the issue. Suddenly withdrawal did not seem such a great idea.I have no doubt that the same would happen again were there to be another referendum.

Thats just simply untrue as the Mori series linked below demonstrates opinion has swayed back and forward throughout the period.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/poll.aspx?oItemId=2435&view=wide

• Options

john_zims said:

@anothernick

'The UK will not leave the EU. The balance of forces is overwhelmingly against such an outcome. In favour of staying in we have'

Shame, you forgot about voters.

Ever since the UK joined the EU in 1973 opinion polls have consistently shown a majority for leaving.

I very much doubt that.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited November 2013
    @anothernick

'Ever since the UK joined the EU in 1973 opinion polls have consistently shown a majority for leaving. The only time when this was not the case was in 1975, when voters were actually faced with making a decision on the issue. '

After only two years in the Common Market voters thought that remaining in a common trading area with the wealthiest countries in Europe would be good for the UK.

The decision was based on what was on offer then, without the following 38 years of baggage..
  • Options
    What time is YouGov usually published on a Saturday night/Sunday morning?
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited November 2013

HYUFD said:

The EU polls also show a clear NO to withdrawal if Cameron achieves a renegotiation. This decade will probably have 3 key referendums on the constitution, on electoral reform and AV, the Union and Scottish independence, and EU membership, in political terms it is the biggest decade for determining our nation's future direction since WW2. Personally, as with AV, I expect no change in any of the referendums, although I think the EU referendum will be the tightest with just a few points in it

Problems with reading a lot into that polling:
    1) Middle option bias.
    2) It leaves the voters to fill in the blanks about what they'd like the renegotiation to achieve, when in reality the voters wouldn't get much that they actually wanted, and might not want much of what they did get, like the right to shittier working conditions if the UK opted out of the Social Chapter again.
    That is particularly true with some of the EU polling which offers a mythological scenario of remaining in the EU on a solely trading basis. Given there is about as much likelihood of that ever happening in reality as David Cameron joining UKIP then basically the poll figures are void. If people understood that the only way to get our relationship with the EU to be a trading relationship was to withdraw we have no indication which way those middle option voters would go.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,004
    Enoch again... This speech could easily be applied to the EU situation now, and that of the Scottish referendum

http://youtu.be/Alld4Og2sTE
  • Options
    "Indian probe begins journey to Mars

India's mission to Mars has embarked on its 300-day journey to the Red Planet, performing a crucial manoeuvre to leave Earth's orbit."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25163113
  • Options

Ever since the UK joined the EU in 1973 opinion polls have consistently shown a majority for leaving.

Simply not true. According to Ipsos Mori who have regularly asked the withdrawal question since 1977, at no time between 1984 and 1999 was there any poll that showed a majority for withdrawal. Since then it has bounced back and forth regularly. However since 2010 almost every poll by any company has shown a majority in favour of withdrawal.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/poll.aspx?oItemId=2435&view=wide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_withdrawal_from_the_European_Union#Opinion_polling
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

If the Tory figure is good, then 10pm. Otherwise, 6am.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

So we know the Tory figure won't be flattering, but whether it's good for Labour or UKIP is still up in the air.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

So we know the Tory figure won't be flattering, but whether it's good for Labour or UKIP is still up in the air.
    Surbiton is talking rubbish.

The Sunday Times publishes the results anytime beween 10.30pm and 2am.

The earliest release in the last 3 months have been at 10.30pm and 10.45pm, which showed the largest labour leads of recent months.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Just wanted to say @DavidHerdson, I really enjoyed your excellent and thought provoking article on the SNP White Paper this morning.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2013
    YouGov Sunday Times polling on Scotland

58% of British voters — and three-quarters of Conservative voters — believe an independent Scotland should have to apply for EU membership.

No leads yes by 9% in Scotland EDIT - I Think the 9% lead for No in the Sunday Times is last week's panelbase poll.

the poll finds the difference between supporters and opponents of independence is more stark across Britain as a whole.

Half of UK voters oppose Scotland going it alone while 27% back the idea and 22% don’t know.

Regardless of whether Scotland becomes independent, however, only a minority (28%) favour sticking with the way England is currently governed, with laws made by all MPs in the UK parliament.

Nearly one-third (31%) would prefer England to be governed by laws made by English MPs in the UK parliament while 18% would like England to have its own new parliament with law-making powers.

The poll also found that in the event of a Yes vote in Scotland, two-thirds of Britons believe Scottish MPs and peers should immediately lose their rights to vote in parliament.
  • Options
    Sunday Times also reports the Belgian government would veto an Independent Scotland's automatic entry into the EU.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    If that is a YouGov poll in the Sunday Times.

Then the Yes side will be cock-a-hoop.

The last YouGov poll on Scottish Independence, no had a 20% lead.

EDIT - I Think the 9% lead for No in the Sunday Times is last week's panelbase poll.
  • Options
    What has Belgium got against Scotland?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    AndyJS said:

Nothing against Scotland per se, more to do with their problem with Flemish separatists.
  • Options
    DAVID Cameron and the Spanish Prime Minister have held talks on independence movements in Scotland and Catalonia, it has been reported.

Spanish media said the two leaders had "decided to co-ordinate" their response to next year's referendum in Scotland and continuing calls for secession in Catalonia.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/cameron-and-rajoy-consult-on-scotland-and-catalonia.22831898
  • Options
    EDIT - I Think the 9% lead for No in the Sunday Times is last week's panelbase poll.
  • Options
    Interesting/useless fact - the King of Thailand was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhumibol_Adulyadej
  • Options
    One reason to support Scottish independence is the grand consternation it would cause Walloon politicians.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    maybe the kippers.should be cheering On Alex Salmond. It strikes me that a vote to take the UK out of the EU is more winnable if you take Scotland out of the equation.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Nothing against Scotland per se, more to do with their problem with Flemish separatists.
    "With no power comes no responsibility."
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    tpfkar said:

maybe the kippers.should be cheering On Alex Salmond. It strikes me that a vote to take the UK out of the EU is more winnable if you take Scotland out of the equation.

There's no great difference in attitudes to the EU:

"...an analysis of opinion poll data collected during the course of this year suggests that whereas across Britain as a whole only 37% would vote to stay in the European Union, in Scotland that figure is rather higher, 43% – a difference of six points. Equally, the proportion who would vote to leave is six points lower in Scotland.

While that difference is potentially enough to alter the majority outcome, it is not enough to suggest that there is a far stronger groundswell in favour of the European project north of the border."

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/10/two-different-countries-scottish-and-english-attitudes-to-equality-and-europe/
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2013

GeoffM said:

Opinium found that just 26% of British voters regard the EU as, overall, a "good thing" compared with 42% who say it is a "bad thing". In Poland 62% say it is a good thing and 13% bad; in Germany 55% good and 17% bad, and in France 36% good and 34% bad.

When asked about the UK's contribution to the EU, there is little enthusiasm among our partners, and little to suggest they will go out of their way to keep us in. Just 9% of Germans and 15% of French people think the UK is a positive influence on the EU, with more Poles, 33%, taking that view.

Only 16% of Germans and 26% of French people back the idea of a special deal being struck for the UK. Cameron has said he intends to renegotiate the UK terms of entry and hold an in/out referendum if he wins a majority at the next election, offering the new arrangement to the British people in a referendum.

The idea of Britain leaving the EU does not appear to worry our European partners unduly. Just 24% of French voters said a UK exit would have a negative effect, compared with 36% of Germans and 51% of Poles.

Perfect. I really hope they don't give any ground. Cameron tries to be reasonable, EU refuses to compromise, we leave. Sounds like a winning formula.

The UK will not leave the EU. The balance of forces is overwhelmingly against such an outcome. In favour of staying in we have

The Labour Party
    The Liberal Democrats
    The SNP
    Plaid Cymru
    The NI parties, with the exception of Sinn Fein
    The City
    The CBI
    The TUC
    The EEF and most other large employer organisations
    Foreign investors - Nissan, Honda etc etc
    UK companies with significant trade with the EU
    The US government
    Other EU governments
    The Universities
    Most local authorities
    The Guardian, Mirror, FT, Independent
    Quite a number of senior Tories, including John Major, Kenneth Clarke and (we must assume) David Cameron

In favour of coming out we have

UKIP
    The majority of the Tory party
    The Sun, Mail, Times & Telegraph
    and, er..........

Withdrawal is a chimera and will not happen.

"...Business leaders believe the costs of being in the EU outweigh the benefits.

A poll of more than 1,000 bosses, from companies of all sizes and sectors, found overwhelming backing for plans for an in-out referendum on Britain’s place in Europe, with 66 per cent in favour.

The results dramatically undermine the conventional wisdom in Westminster that the business community would automatically campaign for Britain to remain in the EU if a vote were held in 2017, as David Cameron has promised."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2482755/Costs-staying-EU-outweigh-benefits-warn-business-leaders-overwhelmingly-plans-referendum.html

http://youtu.be/jOySb8PjNVg
  • Options

The results dramatically undermine the conventional wisdom in Westminster that the business community would automatically campaign for Britain to remain in the EU if a vote were held in 2017, as David Cameron has promised."

Passing over the problems with how they made their sample, this looks entirely in line with the conventional wisdom to me.
    http://businessforbritain.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/10/Britain-and-the-EU-What-business-thinks-EMBARGOED-00.01-01.11.13.pdf

The Mail is mysteriously coy about whether the people surveyed supported staying in or leaving, which came out at:
    Stay: 49%
    Leave: 39%

This seems to be even after they push the respondents with a bunch of questions like
    "For the area of monopolies and competition regulation, please say who you think should
    be in control – the UK Government or the EU? (%)"
    UK
    EU
    Don't Know
    ...all of which mysteriously lack an option for the EU only doing the parts of the regulation that have EU-level implications, which is the actual status quo.
  • Options
    YouGov on Scotland:

OA (Scotland)
    Independence
    Support: 27 (31)
    Oppose: 50 (57)

How likely?
    Likely: 31 (27)
    Unlikely: 55 (59)

Better or worse of if Scotland independent:
    E&W
    Better: 28 (8)
    Same: 30 (32)
    Worse: 23 (42)

Scotland
    Better: 13 (25)
    Same: 9 (9)
    Worse: 62 (54)

EU:
    Reapply to join: 58 (47)
    Automatic Member: 21 (35)

England & Wales (Scotland)
    Net support for:
    Keep getting BBC: -1 (+48)
    Keep pound: -5 (+42)
    Keep Queen: +17 (+22)
    Ban Scots MPs from Westminster votes post referendum: +53 (+44)
    Ban Scots Lords ditto: +57 (+39)
  • Options
    felix said:
    There was also a huge difference in voting intentions depending on whether people work. Incredibly, two –thirds of unemployed people intend to vote yes, compared to just one in four of full-time workers – a clear sign that lose who have most to lose are most fearful of separation. Much of the SNP’s campaign has focused on the Westminster coalition’s welfare shake-up.
  • Options
    Best YouGov for UKIP since June, and interesting to see how parties have done over p12m:
    (vs year ago)
    Con: 30 (-1)
    Lab: 38 (-6)
    LibD: 10 (-)
    UKIP: 15 (+5)

Both Cameron and 'state of the economy' fall:
    Net 'well':
    Cameron: -18 (-5)
    Miliband: -33 (-2)
    Clegg: -50 (+1)

State of Britain's economy
    Net 'good': -40 (-6)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/l0855oqucd/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-291113.pdf
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

My ninth cousin once ate mushy peas with gravy on them, it's a stain on the family.

More likely to lead to a stain on your onesie, tim.

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Doesn't look like we will be getting any Cowdenbeath by-election markets. The bookies have clearly concluded that it will be an easy LAB HOLD. Paddy Power offered me LAB at 1/25. I'll pass thanks.
This discussion has been closed.