Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit: it’s not going away

124»

Comments

• Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431

Labour needs to discuss voting systems with pro-PR parties or it risks 15-20+ years of losing elections held under FPTP. AFAIK only Lewis has suggested that we need PR.

They do need to discuss such systems, and it's great that Lewis is doing so, but until they win an FPTP election, they won't be able to change the system. Therefore, this is not a significant part of their route back to government. They will need to win some of these seats that people think they are "delusional" to aim for.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    This thread has

Nominated Emily Thornberry for Leader

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

Your trade deficit, or surplus, is the consequence of your household savings rate. It is nothing to do with your free trade agreements.

We have a trade deficit, as a country, because we consume more than we make.

Swapping an FTA with the EU for one with the US will not change or trade deficit, all it will mean is that we drink more American wine, and less French. To actually lower the trade deficit would require Brits to actually drink less.

Or drink wine from Sussex, Cornwall and, hard to believe, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.....
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited January 2020
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

Not unexpected news, but the Sultan of Oman has died:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50902476

Was he a nice guy?
    With all that’s gone on in the Middle East in recent decades, he’s been completely neutral and as a result has a stable well-developed economy. Oman is a lovely place to visit.
    He sounded like a legend.
    When you get people to name a county beginning with O - They insist there is not one pretty quickly and move on to P . err hang on a minute there is one! Oman is always destined to be one of those completely ignored countries because they are not big or bad and too far to go on holiday to. Any other countries/states /counties like this?

I always forget about

Gabon (when recalling countries in Africa)
    Belize in central america
    Oman in Asia
    Moldova in Europe
    Northamptonshire (when recalling counties )
    Wisconsin (usa states)
    Lol @ Northamptonshire​.
    Yeah, I live in Northamptonshire.

It`s shit.
    Quite nice at the NE tip, and some of the bits near Market Harborough. Definitely a curates egg.
    I was joking (kind of). Best part of the county is N/W, within the triangle made by Market Harborough, Northampton and Long Buckby - tis where I live, so I may be biased.
    MH is in Leicestershire? FWIW what I see of Kettering and Wellingborough from the train makes me want to stay on the train. But living somewhere is very different to being a visitor.
This discussion has been closed.