Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will the Conservatives increase their majority at the next ele

Comments

• Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    EPG said:

MaxPB said:

I'm interested to see how the European nations will react to Iran backing out of the nuclear deal completely. Will they predictably blame the US or see the deal for what it was, a sham and finally cripple the Iranian economy again with sanctions on their oil.

Once they start murdering Iranian officials, the deal is surely off.

Imagine if Guy Verhofstadt murdered Steve Barclay and then asked for the UK what it still thought about the backstop.
    More to the point, the US already pulled out of the deal!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    EPG said:

...Imagine if Guy Verhofstadt murdered Steve Barclay...

OK, who's been peeking at my fan fiction? "Guy Verhofstadt and the Halitosis of Doom" is only half finished... :(

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    On topic. The last two GEs have been realigning party support around support for Brexit. That means Brexit will be a very dealigning event with consequences for party support that are hard to predict. Put another way, what's in it for Bishop Auckland after Brexit is actually done.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    edited January 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:
    So the Sanders surge is real then, tied for the lead in Iowa and with a clear lead in New Hampshire
    Compared to the last YouGov poll, which was in November, the moves are:

Sanders +1%
    Biden +1%
    Buttigieg +2%

That's a truly enormous surge.
    That is Iowa only.

In New Hampshire Sanders is +5% on the last Yougov, Biden -6%, Warren -2% and Buttigieg -3%, so overall yes indeed it is a Sanders surge with Sanders now tied for the lead in Iowa and clearly ahead now in New Hampshire.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:
    So the Sanders surge is real then, tied for the lead in Iowa and with a clear lead in New Hampshire

Sanders +1%
    Biden +1%
    Buttigieg +2%

That is Iowa only.

In New Hampshire Sanders is +5% on the last Yougov, Biden -6%, Warren -2% and Buttigieg -3%, so overall yes indeed it is a Sanders surge with Sanders now tied for the lead in Iowa and clearly ahead now in New Hampshire.
    I agree Sanders is surging in New Hampshire. Effectively, Warren has collapsed and it's mostly gone to Sanders.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    On topic no they won't and betting that they will at odds of 4/1 is not much short of crazily skinny. So much time, so much uncertainty, so many unknown unknowns. Madness.

• Options
    @justin124 - that kind of comment is unacceptable.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited January 2020

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:

Sanders +1%
    Biden +1%
    Buttigieg +2%

Still, its got me worried. I am so red on Bernie. I mean. Surely not? Surely the Dem base isn't that stupid?
    Bernie could win Iowa and New Hampshire.

But I don't think that makes him nailed on for the nomination. For him to win requires that a great number of moderates stay in the race until at least Super Tuesday, and maybe longer, which results in lots of centrist votes going wasted because they fall short of the 15% threshold.

That's not a completely implausible scenario. If California, say, were to be:

Sanders 35%
    Biden 20%
    Bloomberg 20%
    Buttigieg 15%

Then Sanders could easily end up with more than half the delegates. It's not *likely*. But it's certainly possible.

But if, after Iowa and New Hampshire, Klobuchar and Buttigieg and Booker drop out, then I don't see how Sanders wins. Those candidates votes go mostly to Biden, while only a third of Warren's vote goes to Sanders.
    Either Bernie or Biden on course to win the nomination when they have a major health event.

Who you gonna call?
    They’re both walking health events. One looks like dementia in action. The other is death event cardiac arrest waiting to happen.

The generation which won’t fuck off despite not having an original idea in 40 years Perhaps they’ll both die quickly instead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic no they won't and betting that they will at odds of 4/1 is not much short of crazily skinny. So much time, so much uncertainty, so many unknown unknowns. Madness.

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:

Sanders +1%
    Biden +1%
    Buttigieg +2%

That is Iowa only.

I agree Sanders is surging in New Hampshire. Effectively, Warren has collapsed and it's mostly gone to Sanders.
    This also supports your contention that much of Warren's vote goes to Sanders.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'll take £100 at 100-1 please @TheGreenMachine

Thx

Sure.
  • Options

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

If TSE is backing his own tips he must be for the poor house.

It was a value bet, ahem.

My Dem nominee portfolio is what will be sending me to the poor house.

Anyhoo.

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1213881713425813510
    It took me 60 odd minutes to realise it was an awfully boring match.
    Just dreadful. The FA Cup is on its deathbed though perhaps Everton have already died.
    They need to remove cups or at least remove the premier league teams.
    The magic of the cup used to be that the minnows got to compete one-on-one with the leviathons. The draw offered the chance that maybe for once in their career, they could be on the pitch with the stars of the game. Once in a while, they got to beat them.

But now they only get to play the reserves - teams making 11 changes is a farce. They should only be able to make 4 changes from ther previous league team.
    Agreed sir.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Still no VI poll since the election...
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Quincel said:

rcs1000 said:

Thx

Gutsy, good on you. I'm actually with Machine on which of you has value, but you clearly have 'stones'.
    I'd say the person staking £10k is displaying more stones on this one
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    I would want 10/1.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

@justin124 - that kind of comment is unacceptable.

Ok - but no more so than Johnson's own comments.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Yes, the tory majority will increase because of continued polarisation which under our current system will help tories.

Meanwhile Bernie is looking good in Iowa.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZachMontellaro/status/1213845940450271233

Is that that good for Bernie in Iowa?

23% is a good number, but it's only equal first with Biden and Buttigieg.

He then has three specific issues to overcome:

1. He has the weakest organisation in Iowa. He has nine field offices, Biden has 17 and Buttigieg has 27. Against that, he has lots of enthusiastic young (unpaid) volunteers.

2. He's not the obvious second choice of (most) third tier candidates. If Klobuchar isn't reaching the 15% threshold in that church hall in Ankeny, then her supporters are more likely to gravitate to Biden than to Sanders.

3. His support is quite geographically concentrated around the big urban conurbations of Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Sioux City. This matters because if he's getting 12% in Ottumwa and 30% in Cedar Rapids, then that 12% isn't going to result in any delegates. It means he'll do less well than a candidate who gets 20% in Cedar Rapids and 20% in Ottumwa.

What works in Sanders favour, though, are two things. Firstly, Warren is stuttering hard. He should be the biggest benficiary of that. Secondly, the "moderate" lane is currently very crowded. If Biden, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg all get delegates, then it potentially allows him to slip through the middle and grab a win.

My guess, though, is that he shouldn't be favourite. I think Biden has the better organisation, and is a more natural second choice for those voters who's candidates are eliminated. Biden is also camped in Iowa right now with his "No Malarkey" tour. Finally, Iowa tends to go establishment. When was the last time a non-establishment candidate won the state?
    Obama
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    maaarsh said:

Quincel said:

rcs1000 said:

Thx

Gutsy, good on you. I'm actually with Machine on which of you has value, but you clearly have 'stones'.
    I'd say the person staking £10k is displaying more stones on this one
    They seem supremely confident though, so while I see your point I don't agree on this occasion. The person taking an almost certainly losing bet in a public manner is risking more, in a way.

Happy to agree they both show guts.
  • Options

Quite rightly, a complete waste of pollsters money with at least 4 years until the next general election and the new Labour leader not elected.

The pollsters also had quite a good general election in terms of accuracy and are in no means to spoil it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Quite rightly, a complete waste of pollsters money with at least 4 years until the next general election and the new Labour leader not elected.

The pollsters also had quite a good general election in terms of accuracy and are in no means to spoil it
    Now is high time for one of those awful 'VI with different Lab leaders' polls which just prove people don't know how they'd react to hypotheticals. Gets to skew the market on the leadership election too, for good measure.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Gabs3 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm interested to see how the European nations will react to Iran backing out of the nuclear deal completely. Will they predictably blame the US or see the deal for what it was, a sham and finally cripple the Iranian economy again with sanctions on their oil.

What nonsense. The Iran nuclear deal completely restrained Iran's nuclear weapon ambitions. The independent inspectors were reporting full compliance. It is predictable the US will be blamed because it is the US that breached the deal. You can't blame one side for leaving a deal the other side has already left!
    Obviously Iran were sticking to the deal, it was hugely favourable for them. Take a few years off developing nuclear weapons and elimination of sanctions for life. The deal was crap, only those who are blinded by Trump derangement syndrome think it's a good deal.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    HYUFD said:

That's lovely for them, but my point is it makes the question in the OP especially difficult right now. The election was a watershed event and we haven't actually had any polling yet to see if there is any movement in the coalitions that formed post-referendum.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I would want 10/1.

10-1 for what?
  • Options
    @rcs1000

Do you have twitter or Facebook?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501

@viewcode

Anyone who thinks liberals will win are living in a fairytale.

There's no point in them existing tbh, at least labour do win occasionally.

The belief that the LibDems are SpareLabour - OK for a protest vote against the OneTrueLove (Labour) - Is deeply ingrained in the Labour party. They would do well to understand that the LibDems & the Greens are *not* The CoOp party.
    This is true. There is a huge amouny of space in not-Tory land. There is a market old fashioned liberalism, or for social democracy, and no inherent reason why those favouring either of these positions would naturally favour the Labour Party.
    Which makes ut even more frustrating that the Lib Dems are crowding into the same narrow identity-politics-and-ultra-Europhilia space that Labour have occupied.
  • Options
    @TheGreenMachine

For the header - bigger Con majority next time.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Yes, the tory majority will increase because of continued polarisation which under our current system will help tories.

1. He has the weakest organisation in Iowa. He has nine field offices, Biden has 17 and Buttigieg has 27. Against that, he has lots of enthusiastic young (unpaid) volunteers.

2. He's not the obvious second choice of (most) third tier candidates. If Klobuchar isn't reaching the 15% threshold in that church hall in Ankeny, then her supporters are more likely to gravitate to Biden than to Sanders.

3. His support is quite geographically concentrated around the big urban conurbations of Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Sioux City. This matters because if he's getting 12% in Ottumwa and 30% in Cedar Rapids, then that 12% isn't going to result in any delegates. It means he'll do less well than a candidate who gets 20% in Cedar Rapids and 20% in Ottumwa.

What works in Sanders favour, though, are two things. Firstly, Warren is stuttering hard. He should be the biggest benficiary of that. Secondly, the "moderate" lane is currently very crowded. If Biden, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg all get delegates, then it potentially allows him to slip through the middle and grab a win.

My guess, though, is that he shouldn't be favourite. I think Biden has the better organisation, and is a more natural second choice for those voters who's candidates are eliminated. Biden is also camped in Iowa right now with his "No Malarkey" tour. Finally, Iowa tends to go establishment. When was the last time a non-establishment candidate won the state?
    Obama
    A fair point. Perhaps I should have said "moderate". Because neither Obama nor Clinton were on the left of the party.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@TheGreenMachine

Mugs bet.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@TheGreenMachine

I'd be looking at least 25-1.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

No, labour will get around 240 seats next time and Lib Dems might improve by a handful, although Tories most seats at 5-6 is best bet of the decade.

The best bet of the decade, I would wager, will be something at rather better odds than 5-6.
    I just backed 'Completed Match - No' in the India vs Sri Lanka t20 cricket at 1.06 when the cut off time for there to be a match had passed 3 mins before... that's got to be close to the bet of the decade hasnt it? Free money!!
    It's probably not even the best 1-16 of the year let alone decade.
    What??? Something that has already won isn’t the best 1/16 shot you can back?!?!

How could it possibly be bettered?
    How did you manage to bet something already over?
    Can I introduce you to the Hillary Clinton to win most votes market in the POTUS election of 2016 ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Obama
    A fair point. Perhaps I should have said "moderate". Because neither Obama nor Clinton were on the left of the party.
    Obama was the left wing candidate in 2008 compared to Hillary
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@TheGreenMachine

On the face of it, I think 4-1 is quite generous; I'd put the chances of a larger majority at closer to 40% than 20%. But tying your money up for that long isn't an attractive proposition.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

Now is high time for one of those awful 'VI with different Lab leaders' polls which just prove people don't know how they'd react to hypotheticals. Gets to skew the market on the leadership election too, for good measure.
    Those 'awful' hypothetical VI with different leaders polls proved spot on in regards to Boris last summer, so if any voting intention poll is to be done that would be it
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    HYUFD said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

Those 'awful' hypothetical VI with different leaders polls proved spot on in regards to Boris last summer, so if any voting intention poll is to be done that would be it
    I think they got lucky. Remember the hypothetical polls regarding an extension?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

That's lovely for them, but my point is it makes the question in the OP especially difficult right now. The election was a watershed event and we haven't actually had any polling yet to see if there is any movement in the coalitions that formed post-referendum.
    Until a new Labour or LD leader is elected there will not be so again other than hypothetical polls straight voting intention polls now are a waste of time and money
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

What RobD said, and we don't even know if they were right or not. We'll never know how other leaders would have performed; another problem with these polls. We have no clue of their track record since they are never tested, unlike general VI polls.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,307
    HYUFD said:

I think Boris would be looking at a significant upward bounce.

Boris may not be my cup of tea, but in my circles everyone is raving about his post election performance. They like the jolly post Brexit optimism, and the eye-watering spending proposals.

Don't see it myself, however out there in anecdote-land Boris is bringing home the bacon.
  • Options
    I'll lay labour at evens, any takers?
  • Options
    @TheGreenMachine

Where would you price Laura Pidcock to be the next PM?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Until a new Labour or LD leader is elected there will not be so again other than hypothetical polls straight voting intention polls now are a waste of time and money
    You've changed! You were quoting the wildest poll extrapolations at one point. Fair play.to you though they weren't that far out.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think Boris would be looking at a significant upward bounce.

Boris may not be my cup of tea, but in my circles everyone is raving about his post election performance. They like the jolly post Brexit optimism, and the eye-watering spending proposals.

Don't see it myself, however out there in anecdote-land Boris is bringing home the bacon.
    Newspapers are no longer filled with hot-take, misery porn/over-excited but always tedious Brexit articles. You cannot underestimate the feelgood factor this generates.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lib Dems 33-1 most seats is a joke, should be 5,000-1.

What odds would you give me?
    What odds would you like?
    Well, if you had 100-1, you would be saying (more or less) that it was a once every five hundred year event. I'd chuck £10 on that.
    Not worth while taking your £10.

If you want to put £50 + on them I'll take it off you.
    With all due respect, how do I know you're good for paying out £5,000?
    The fact is I won't be paying out.
    I'm serious: I have a reputation for paying out on my bets. I would only enter into this bet if I thought you would pay out in the unlikely event that I won. Otherwise, I'm just giving you £50.

I'm betting there is more than a 1% change the LDs get most seats next time around. If you're saying that in that 1% chance, you won't pay out, then you're not someone I want to bet with.

Well lets see first at what level would the LD need to be to get most seats.

At present they would need a lead of 14% over all others under UNS to become the largest party something like 40% over 26%, realistically from the 2005-10 elections a lead of 5% would probably do, lets say 35 vs 30.

How likely is that the LD can get 35% in the next election up 24% from this one ?
    What are the odds for the circumstances that they will need to achieve that ?
    OK, it's quite unlikely, but a lot of REALLY unlikely things have happened recently, so I'll join in.
    The Liberals then the LibDems always do best against a Tory government that has been in power for a long time and where the Labour leader is not too awful and not too charismatic. That's a possible and even quite likely scenario.
    A new party could appear and be able to take advantage of the others unpopularity but after the SDP, TIGgers and even TBP (in FPTP elections) I think that's unlikely - unless they have a pact with the Libdems.
    The LibDems do have an organisation on the ground and now have a number of near misses and a great many more 2nd places. Would they even need 35%? I think they'd need something close to that but it would depend how it's distributed.
    100 to 1 is probably as good a guess as any, but .....
    “I hate to lose more than I love to win.” -Jimmy Connors
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion
  • Options
    Cookie said:

On the face of it, I think 4-1 is quite generous; I'd put the chances of a larger majority at closer to 40% than 20%. But tying your money up for that long isn't an attractive proposition.

Yes the time aspect is key.

But don't agree with 40% or anything close.

Perfect storm this time.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@TheGreenMachine

Where? Or what odds?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

I think they got lucky. Remember the hypothetical polls regarding an extension?
    Irrelevant because Boris of course refused to ask for the extension just sent a photocopy of the Benn Act
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    Given we don't know how many seats the 2024 election will be for (600? 650?), the bet in the article is silly.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

What RobD said, and we don't even know if they were right or not. We'll never know how other leaders would have performed; another problem with these polls. We have no clue of their track record since they are never tested, unlike general VI polls.
    Wrong, the hypothetical polls compared a Boris led Tories v a Corbyn led Labour and were spot on, indeed more so than the actual voting intention polls at the time in predicting the general election result
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Obama
    Obama supported NAFTA, while a Hilary opposed it (or wanted to change it) so I think it's more complicated than that.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Yes the time aspect is key.

But don't agree with 40% or anything close.

Perfect storm this time.
    Are you thinking it can't get any worse for Labour? I can think of plenty of ways in which it can:
    - Unfavourable boundary reviews.
    - Ian Lavery
    - Rebecca Long Bailey
    - Labour losing Remainers who'd voted Labour solely in order to Remain
    - Continuation of long term trends in small town England.
    - SDP Mk 2
    - Some other sort of Black Swan

You might reasonably argue that none of these will happen and everything instead will go wrong for the Tories, and that well might be the case. But Labour have a lot of banana skins to avoid between now and 2024, and I'm therefore surprised by your confidence.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    kinabalu said:

@TheGreenMachine

The last MP to have lost their seat to go on to become PM was Harold Macmillan in 1957. Before that it was Churchill, then Macdonald, and offhand I cannot think of anyone else. The last one even to make it as far as LotO was Foot in 1980.

So I am going to go with about 6% chance in theory, less in practice. Call it 20-1.

Or alternatively, the triumph of adulation over experience.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

@TheGreenMachine

The last MP to have lost their seat to go on to become PM was Harold Macmillan in 1957. Before that it was Churchill, then Macdonald, and offhand I cannot think of anyone else. The last one even to make it as far as LotO was Foot in 1980.

So I am going to go with about 6% chance in theory, less in practice. Call it 20-1.

Grand national Odds, 10-1 the field.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,696
    RobD said:
    Starmer finally comes clean on his own position, and sells out those who wanted to remain. He s no better than the rest of the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    ClippP said:

RobD said:
    Starmer finally comes clean on his own position, and sells out those who wanted to remain. He s no better than the rest of the Labour leadership.
    Alternatively, he's seen that his previous position is no longer viable.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    ClippP said:

RobD said:
    His position is now the same as Layla Moran, ie move on from Remain to having the closest possible relationship with the EU post Brexit
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Obama
    Obama supported NAFTA, while a Hilary opposed it (or wanted to change it) so I think it's more complicated than that.
    Trump also opposed NAFTA
  • Options
    Cookie said:

The belief that the LibDems are SpareLabour - OK for a protest vote against the OneTrueLove (Labour) - Is deeply ingrained in the Labour party. They would do well to understand that the LibDems & the Greens are *not* The CoOp party.

This is true. There is a huge amouny of space in not-Tory land. There is a market old fashioned liberalism, or for social democracy, and no inherent reason why those favouring either of these positions would naturally favour the Labour Party.
    Which makes ut even more frustrating that the Lib Dems are crowding into the same narrow identity-politics-and-ultra-Europhilia space that Labour have occupied.
    I must have missed that, Mr Cookie. When did Labour take up a Europhilia position?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2020
    This was Cummings from 2 years ago....but he basically lays out how he has just run the GE campaign (again)...down to leaving all the advertising to the last minute and only spending it once they had AB tested the message and got enough data who to fire at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDbRxH9Kiy4
  • Options
    glw said:

Someone wants to play with his nukes.

Tillotson called Trump a moron, predominantly because POTUS was sketchy on the consequences of their use.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

This was Cummings from 2 years ago....but he basically lays out how he has just run the GE campaign (again)...down to leaving all the advertising to the last minute and only spending it once they had AB tested the message and got enough data who to fire at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDbRxH9Kiy4

How does this work when something like 1/5th of all votes are now postal votes and will have been cast before this final splurge? Do you simply assume that those who cast their votes in this way are very unlikely to have their minds changed?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Obama
    That sort of nuance won’t help here.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

RobD said:
    Those who want to remain - as I did - have lost. Those who were foolish enough to try and prevent us leaving have made any other outcome untenable. It is now time to deal with the world as it is, not the world as we would have liked it to be. That is what Starmer is doing and given he would rightly be attacked for being totally delusional if he had said the opposite, it is unfair to criticise him for it.
  • Options
    If the Dems hadn’t so rashly gone for an unattainable impeachment, right now they would have all the evidence they needed to invoke the 25th Amendment.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited January 2020

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

@TheGreenMachine

Grand national Odds, 10-1 the field.
    Alec Douglas Home also lost his seat in 1945.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    That Tony Benn? Total sell-out who served under neoliberal, union hating, warmonger, Wilson.
  • Options
    Yes, hello Paul. Have you been living under a rock for three years?

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1213764043636461568
  • Options
    Another incredible game in the Hand-Egg Play-offs.
  • Options

That Tony Benn? Total sell-out who served under neoliberal, union hating, warmonger, Wilson.

Wilson was no neoliberal and kept the UK out of the Vietnam War
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

If the Dems hadn’t so rashly gone for an unattainable impeachment, right now they would have all the evidence they needed to invoke the 25th Amendment.
    The 25th could have been invoked for so many of Trump's actions over the last three years, it has not and even as we wander around in a Mad Max- like dystopia, there will be people in what is left of Alabama contesting that irradiating the world was the act of a great American patriot.

And yes impeachment is very silly.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Momentum_NHS/status/1213817206137602049

Who sent her child to private school, despite insisting everyone else use the state system.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The 25th could have been invoked for so many of Trump's actions over the last three years, it has not and even as we wander around in a Mad Max- like dystopia, there will be people in what is left of Alabama contesting that irradiating the world was an act of a great American patriot.

The 25th doesn't work. It is clearly flawed as it relies on Trump's handpicked Cabinet.
  • Options

Lexit?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I liked Harold too.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,984
    Cookie said:

Lexit?
    Left Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Obama
    Trump also opposed NAFTA
    I don't think that affects my point.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:
    Those who want to remain - as I did - have lost. Those who were foolish enough to try and prevent us leaving have made any other outcome untenable. It is now time to deal with the world as it is, not the world as we would have liked it to be. That is what Starmer is doing and given he would rightly be attacked for being totally delusional if he had said the opposite, it is unfair to criticise him for it.
    Not at all. Starmer is an unprincipled opportunist. How else would anybody
    describe him?
  • Options
    ClippP said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:
    describe him?
    Former Head of the CPS?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

ydoethur said:

The 25th could have been invoked for so many of Trump's actions over the last three years, it has not and even as we wander around in a Mad Max- like dystopia, there will be people in what is left of Alabama contesting that irradiating the world was an act of a great American patriot.

The 25th doesn't work. It is clearly flawed as it relies on Trump's handpicked Cabinet.
    As far as I can see most of the checks and balances that are meant to restrain the executive in the US are effectively useless.
  • Options

He’s been one of the people throwing rocks. A tedious hypocrite who had has 15 minutes (and beyond).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    RobD said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:
    Although, having punted it so vociferously for years, it inevitably leads to questions on his judgement.....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    ClippP said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:
    describe him?
    What he says (in the linked article) that Boris Johnson getting an 80 seat majority on the basis of "Get Brexit Done" means that Brexit is going to be done.

Not sure how that is betraying anything. Unless people think passing their glass of port over the finger bowl every time The Loyal Toast is drunk is more sensible, or something.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:
    describe him?
    A lawyer?
  • Options
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

As far as I can see most of the checks and balances that are meant to restrain the executive in the US are effectively useless.
    Seems to rely on men or women of honour and duty being in these positions. Hmmm...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I liked Harold too.
    I was being sarcastic.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

ydoethur said:

Not necessarily. Under the terms of the amendment it is at least arguable Congress could appoint a medical panel to judge it.

But boasting about planning a war crime live on Twitter after blowing somebody up to show he could is all the evidence we need that he has truly gone insane.
  • Options

Is this the same Paul Mason whose head was firmly lodged in Corbyn's anal cavity since 2014? Perhaps that is why he was so unaware of the chaos surrounding Corbyn.
  • Options

ClippP said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:
    describe him?
    Former Head of the CPS?
    He was appointed - by whom? Friends and relations? - to occupy an important administrative post. OK, so far perhaps. How did he do there? Has there ever been a proper appraisal of his achievements? If I remember correctly, the latest incumbent has been showered with honours, despite reports that she was singularly useless.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Obama
    Trump also opposed NAFTA
    It does, support for NAFTA is not a left/right issue, but a populist v globalist one, to some extent like Brexit
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Cookie said:

I must have missed that, Mr Cookie. When did Labour take up a Europhilia position?
    Fair point, Clippo: on reflection I am thinking of some in the Laboir Party here, typified by Emily Thornberry. I accept that post-election many Labour MPs are now taking the view that it is time to move on. Though the dice are still in the air here!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    ydoethur said:

Firstly the one in no way blocks the other, secondly it wouldn't be the Dems who needed evidence, it would be Pence and Trump's cabinet, and they haven't just learned anything about Trump they didn't already know.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I liked Harold too.
    I was being sarcastic.
    Harold was a man of much mystery. He could well have been as you described, and many of Benn's ilk would have held that view.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563

RobD said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:
    Although, having punted it so vociferously for years, it inevitably leads to questions on his judgement.....
    It reads to me like an admission that his side has lost and discusses what to do next?

What else can Labour do - pretend there is no Brexit? Launch a court case to demand... what? At this point the only thing that will stop Brexit is an unusually argumentative meteorite, or a coup. Even WWIII probably won't.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Cookie said:

ClippP said:

Cookie said:

Fair point, Clippo: on reflection I am thinking of some in the Laboir Party here, typified by Emily Thornberry. I accept that post-election many Labour MPs are now taking the view that it is time to move on. Though the dice are still in the air here!
    ...and it could still fall with the face that states Ian Lavery uppermost.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Lexit?
    Left Brexit.
    Ah. And who are the Lexit deadbeats - McCluskey? Must admit, I thought I had a handle on left-wing sub-factions, but I'm feeling a little out of my depth here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu2 said:

Obama
    Trump also opposed NAFTA
    It does, support for NAFTA is not a left/right issue, but a populist v globalist one, to some extent like Brexit
    I think you'd find support for NAFTA correlates pretty strongly with other centrist views. But feel free to argue the point of you like.
This discussion has been closed.