Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the New Year begins Stodge asks “Is Britain Now a One-Party

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

His opponents really got wrong footed by him getting a deal. While I still worry about the risk at the end of the transition period, their attempts to reframe the term no deal to mean that and not getting a WA I dont think worked with the public.

It showed he could get a win others said he could not, that those who said he wanted immediate no deal (like me) were wrong, and although more voted for it the impression that parliament would continue to seek to stop it altogether (even though it might have passed after more scrutiny).

Bluntly, it undermined the Boris fear factor.

Johnson’s willingness to fold to the EU and betray the DUP is a very hopeful indicator for the coming negotiations - as was his ability to paint it as a triumph. And the stronger the personality cult that builds up around him the harder it will be for the ERG loons to stop him doing it again. The one difficulty I see, though, is the fetishisation of a US trade deal. Prioritising that over one with the EU is the biggest Brexit banana skin out there.

That's a very optimistic take. I see the lack of accountability as a cover for some very poor decision-making.

The Northern Ireland protocol was made without any consultation with those that are affected by it. (The thought apparently never entered Johnson's consideration). No-one in Northern Ireland wants it. It is markedly worse for Northern Ireland than May's Deal, as it imposes unaffordable costs on an already fragile Northern Ireland economy. It drives a coach and horses through the identity issue. The DUP might be an unattractive bunch but they represent a legitimate and large interest in Northern Ireland.

Johnson went ahead with it precisely because he agreed with the ERG loons and their interest is more important to him than the Union or the interests of one of its constituent nations.

Yep, all fair. My view is entirely Anglo-centric as my assumption is the UK is done and dusted. It’s merely a matter of how long the decoupling takes. Clearly, a PM who truly valued the Union would not have done as Johnson did.

And yet, I suspect Johnson didn't make that NI protocol decision thinking Northern Ireland is dispensable, even if that's the logical implication. I think he saw a need for a deal that was different from May's Deal and which satisfies the ERG's, and maybe his own, ideology. So he thought, I will take that. Now he's lying about what he's signed up to. Not a basis for a stable settlement.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

It's incredible to think the reason we have so much gas capacity right now is because just eight years ago nobody thought non-carbon non-nuclear energy would be an economic proposition for another 30 years.

The progress since then is just astonishing.
    At least while we transition to non-carbon we aren't burning coal anymore. People talk about the eyesore of windmills but I think that's ludicrous, I used to live near Fiddlers Ferry Power station (coal) which is due to be decommissioned this year. I still drive past it regularly to visit family. The area around Fiddlers Ferry has been transformed in recent years with a lot of new business and residential developments but also a large windfarm in the area - compared to Fiddlers Ferry the windmills are elegant and much better to look at. Far better than the puffs of smoke that Fiddlers Ferry used to be permanently emitting.

The transformation over the last decade is remarkable. I see no reason at this rate why we can't end this decade generating at least 75-80% if not more of our electricity from zero carbon sources.
    Energy density, baseload and power storage are the three major challenges facing renewables. Hopefully the 2020s sees the same huge advancements for these as we had for generating renewables in the 2010s.
    Which is where tidal has the edge. If you want to know a year in advance precisely what tidal will deliver and when - look at a tide chart. If you have enough lagoons, you can to an extent manipulate storage for a few hours at a time by not opening the sluices at high tide, but waiting a couple of hours. So have it generating power early evening not late afternoon, for example.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,042
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Happy New Year everyone. Sorry to hear Malc and Gallowgate but starting the year at the best hopefully things will improve.

Happy New Year, wife is being pumped full of antibiotics, oxygen , etc so hopefully will start to pick up. Seemingly a nasty infection.
    Indeed; does seem nasty. Is this the first such episode, or have there been others in the past?
    Best of, anyway.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Yep, all fair. My view is entirely Anglo-centric as my assumption is the UK is done and dusted. It’s merely a matter of how long the decoupling takes. Clearly, a PM who truly valued the Union would not have done as Johnson did.

And yet, I suspect Johnson didn't make that NI protocol decision thinking Northern Ireland is dispensable, even if that's the logical implication. I think he saw a need for a deal that was different from May's Deal and which satisfies the ERG's, and maybe his own, ideology. So he thought, I will take that. Now he's lying about what he's signed up to. Not a basis for a stable settlement.
    I couldn't disagree more.

People who never liked Johnson or Brexit in the first place are whining about the effect of Johnson's deal on Northern Ireland but to be frank the DUP rejected every other alternative too. If you say "no, no, no" to everything eventually people will find a "yes" without you.

Plus Johnson's arrangements only continue with the democratic consent of NI. If a majority of NI find they dislike the arrangements they can elect a majority to Stormont to terminate them. Currently a majority of Stormont's numbers actually like [or at least accept] Johnson's deal and unless or until that ends that is the democratic choice of NI's voters. There's no shame in have a democratic option that can be terminated democratically (which wasn't possible in May's deal).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    EPG said:

Boris positivity theory is overplayed. He won campaigning against the EU and against Corbyn, but not for anything in the strict sense.

By comparison it was positive
  • Options
    Brilliant thread on Corbynista denialism ...
    https://twitter.com/philwoodford/status/1212316679855849472
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,293
    EPG said:

Boris positivity theory is overplayed. He won campaigning against the EU and against Corbyn, but not for anything in the strict sense.

But isn't that the nub of his genius? There will always be a bogeyman to blame for when things go wrong. It is page one of the Trump playbook.
  • Options
    EPG said:

I'm not sure that is right. Boris campaigned *for* an end to austerity, investment up north, and in the police and NHS. Never mind that in doing so he was effectively running against both Cameron and May's governments. In doing so, Boris was also shooting Corbyn's and Labour's foxes (so yes, in that limited sense, Corbyn had won the arguments).

Dominic Cummings and rival Brexiteer Arron Banks acknowledged that the referendum was won on the backs of a lot of NOTA voters and those voting for the NHS. The EU had little or nothing to do with their voting to leave.

These observations might be key in analysing and predicting Boris's next moves.
  • Options
    Delightful start to the New Year with the concert from Vienna.

Happy New Year everyone.
  • Options

FF43 said:

People who never liked Johnson or Brexit in the first place are whining about the effect of Johnson's deal on Northern Ireland but to be frank the DUP rejected every other alternative too. If you say "no, no, no" to everything eventually people will find a "yes" without you.

Plus Johnson's arrangements only continue with the democratic consent of NI. If a majority of NI find they dislike the arrangements they can elect a majority to Stormont to terminate them. Currently a majority of Stormont's numbers actually like [or at least accept] Johnson's deal and unless or until that ends that is the democratic choice of NI's voters. There's no shame in have a democratic option that can be terminated democratically (which wasn't possible in May's deal).

Who in Northern Ireland actually supports the Johnson deal?

• Options

FF43 said:

The only good thing that can be said for the NI protocol from the perspective of those living there is that a border down the Irish Sea is less bad than a land border, which is why they won't vote for it. This is what is cynically described as "consent". By the way the option of May's Deal isn't part of that consent.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596

EPG said:

I'm not sure that is right. Boris campaigned *for* an end to austerity, investment up north, and in the police and NHS. Never mind that in doing so he was effectively running against both Cameron and May's governments. In doing so, Boris was also shooting Corbyn's and Labour's foxes (so yes, in that limited sense, Corbyn had won the arguments).

Dominic Cummings and rival Brexiteer Arron Banks acknowledged that the referendum was won on the backs of a lot of NOTA voters and those voting for the NHS. The EU had little or nothing to do with their voting to leave.

Boris campaigned against Corbynism but never never did he give the impression of sneering at the traditional Labour voter, or their (good) reasons for voting Labour. The 'vile Labour scum please vote Tory' tactic was never used - for the good reasons no doubt that it is false and it doesn't work. Whereas Labour used the 'vote Labour, you vile Tory scum' the whole time.

I suspect this is not only about sane policy, it's also about character and values.

As to the question: Is Britain now a one party state? It's a QTWTAIN.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Dura_Ace said:

Now it’s delivery time. He cannot keep all the promises he has made. His fate will rest on the ones he decides to break. And how he responds to events beyond his control.

That's not how politics works now. Whatever happens we'll be told, through a barrage of shitposts, that he never made the promise or that it doesn't matter or have a look at this meme instead.
    Talking of shitposts maybe you need to take a break?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    Just perfect. Utterly peerless
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited January 2020

FF43 said:

In fairness, as Theresa May found out the hard way, what the DUP actually want is to stay in the EU and because they are officially leavers, blame someone else for not leaving.

That was always an impossible circle to square, and the fact that their over-reach meant they ended up getting sliced off not so much at the knees as at the waist would be quite funny if the consequences had not the potential to be so grave.
  • Options
    felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

Now it’s delivery time. He cannot keep all the promises he has made. His fate will rest on the ones he decides to break. And how he responds to events beyond his control.

That's not how politics works now. Whatever happens we'll be told, through a barrage of shitposts, that he never made the promise or that it doesn't matter or have a look at this meme instead.
    I think of Dura Ace as a sort of Corbynista MalcolmG. Somebody who says the most outrageous things but in a rather entertaining way, so you're never quite sure how serious he is. He's also our one real expert on military matters.

So, I have to say I think it would be a loss to the site if he left.

There are others who have left whom I would not say that of - Bromptonaut, for example.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think of Dura Ace as a sort of Corbynista MalcolmG. Somebody who says the most outrageous things but in a rather entertaining way, so you're never quite sure how serious he is. He's also our one real expert on military matters.

There are others who have left whom I would not say that of - Bromptonaut, for example.
    I agree but it does not excuse the more outrageous quotes especially to do with wishing ill health or death on anyone no matter who they are
  • Options

ydoethur said:
    It is arguable that Abba are the greatest pop group of all time, even above the Beatles, provided you ignore the wider context and just consider their pop records.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

Mr Ace's original avatar was a crank. I'd say he fits right in here.
  • Options

ydoethur said:
    It is arguable that Abba are the greatest pop group of all time, even above the Beatles, provided you ignore the wider context and just consider their pop records.
    ABBA are the greatest pop group of all time. You don't have to ignore the wider context. They could make a catchy song out of a shopping list. Sometimes I wonder if they actually did.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

Wishing death/illness on someone should be a straight red, and arguably his attempts at macho boasting over driving cars fast should be a yellow for pure walliness. I was once banned for saying "Dont apologize, I'm sorry you're alive" to Bobajob/Anazina/Last Boy Scout/BobaFett or whatever they were calling themselves at the time, and that was just a joke quoting Edmund in BlackAdder II to Lord Percy

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

Corbynista MalcolmG. Somebody who says the most outrageous things but in a rather entertaining way, so you're never quite sure how serious he is. He's also our one real expert on military matters.

"Corbynista MalcolmG" is the worst fucking thing I have ever been called in my life.

I am not the only military expert; Topping is an arquebus bearer from way back and worth listening to on matters pertaining thereto.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Corbynista MalcolmG. Somebody who says the most outrageous things but in a rather entertaining way, so you're never quite sure how serious he is. He's also our one real expert on military matters.

"Corbynista MalcolmG" is the worst fucking thing I have ever been called in my life.

I am not the only military expert; Topping is an arquebus bearer from way back and worth listening to on matters pertaining thereto.
    We aim to please! :smile:

On your second point, I hold my hands up. How about on military hardware?
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

Wishing death/illness on someone should be a straight red, and arguably his attempts at macho boasting over driving cars fast should be a yellow for pure walliness. I was once banned for saying "Dont apologize, I'm sorry you're alive" to Bobajob/Anazina/Last Boy Scout/BobaFett or whatever they were calling themselves at the time, and that was just a joke quoting Edmund in BlackAdder II to Lord Percy

Should we therefore ban all Corbynistas? They have after all wished death on the whole Labour party.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

In fairness, as Theresa May found out the hard way, what the DUP actually want is to stay in the EU and because they are officially leavers, blame someone else for not leaving.

That was always an impossible circle to square, and the fact that their over-reach meant they ended up getting sliced off not so much at the knees as at the waist would be quite funny if the consequences had not the potential to be so grave.
    With very good fortune the long tern consequence may be a peacefully united Ireland. The DUP have failed so far to assist themselves or anyone else. They have never stated with rational clarity what they want. What they want is a square circle. They object very strongly when someone else delivers one.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

Should we therefore ban all Corbynistas? They have after all wished death on the whole Labour party.
    When? did I miss that?
  • Options

Happy New Year everyone.

Lovely, isn't it!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

The DUP made some colossal blunders, but in the end it didn't make any difference. Johnson and his faction were determined to displace May by any means possible.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

I know a bit about war and soldiers. Just that I'm shy of showing it because I have never seen action - unless one counts a couple of "incidents" relating to poor service at the Hampstead crepe van.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    ABBA are the greatest pop group of all time. You don't have to ignore the wider context. They could make a catchy song out of a shopping list. Sometimes I wonder if they actually did.
    I still yearn for the great days of Lonnie Donegan.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

When? did I miss that?
    12th September 2015.

They elected Corbyn as leader...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

I know a bit about war and soldiers. Just that I'm shy of showing it because I have never seen action - unless one counts a couple of "incidents" relating to poor service at the Hampstead crepe van.
    Crap service at a crepe van?

Incidentally, talking of crap, I have just seen the strapline for Cats. It is apparently 'an experience like no other.'

Those who have been to see it are wholeheartedly agreeing, but not quite as the producers meant...
  • Options
    isam said:

Wishing death/illness on someone should be a straight red, and arguably his attempts at macho boasting over driving cars fast should be a yellow for pure walliness. I was once banned for saying "Dont apologize, I'm sorry you're alive" to Bobajob/Anazina/Last Boy Scout/BobaFett or whatever they were calling themselves at the time, and that was just a joke quoting Edmund in BlackAdder II to Lord Percy.

I will not go up against what is a wholesome sentiment - but if Trump were to choke on a fish bone I'm not sure how distressed I would be. Perhaps best to leave it there. In fact that might be my advice if I were on the scene.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    Lol, did you actually say ABBA were greater than the Beatles? I mean, I've seen some real shit in here before including stuff about pineapple on pizza and a lot of odd stuff about Radiohead but this takes the biscuit.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Possibly. But Westlife have to at least be in the conversation. People get blinded by his looks but Keating could hold a tune.
  • Options

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    As someone-or-other famous once said, the three pivotal names in the history of British pop music were:
    1) Lonnie Donnegan, who showed you did not have to be in a big band
    2) The Beatles, who took Britain to America
    3) John Peel, who gave myriad performers their first exposure
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

When? did I miss that?
    12th September 2015.

Aaah. I thought you meant some for of statement to that effect.

Its not quite like a wish of death. Labour has, since 12/9/15, a nasty contagious virus that is eating away at the soul of the Labour Party. It needs someone of the ingenuity of Dr Bones McCoy to save the day once more.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

Happy New Year everyone.

You mean the Nazi concert!!!!

Apparently they've changed one piece of music because it was altered by a Nazi or something.

Happy New Year.
  • Options

I agree but it does not excuse the more outrageous quotes especially to do with wishing ill health or death on anyone no matter who they are.

Not sure you truly mean the bit in bold.

Or do you?
  • Options
    It seems to enough to me that Brexit will continue to dominate politics for the entirety of this parliament - albeit from outside the EU rather than inside.

Those of us who are Remainers have some tough choices ahead. We cease to be Remainers within the month and I don't really know what psychological effect that will have on those of us of a pro-EU disposition. My own mood is that it's in nobody's interest for us to leave the EU but it's happening so it'd be turning a problem into a total catastrophe if Brexit fails now that it's a certainty to happen.

Those of us who are Lib Dems also have a lot to think about. I hope we can resist the temptation to rush into an early leadership contest (I don't know what the party rules say about how long the position can be left vacant for but I'm sure someone here will tell me). This parliament is going to run full term so there's no rush for us, the 4th largest party, to redefine ourselves as time is on our side and people won't be hugely interested in hearing from us in the short term anyway. I think it's best to let Labour pick their new leader first then we'll know what we're facing from both the big two and we can find the leader best able to tackle them both.

It's not all bad though. At least the new series of Doctor Who begins tonight. :)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I agree but it does not excuse the more outrageous quotes especially to do with wishing ill health or death on anyone no matter who they are.

Or do you?
    Yes. No one should seek the death of anyone
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Or do you?
    Seconded.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

When? did I miss that?
    12th September 2015.

Its not quite like a wish of death. Labour has, since 12/9/15, a nasty contagious virus that is eating away at the soul of the Labour Party. It needs someone of the ingenuity of Dr Bones McCoy to save the day once more.
    The only British politician I can recall publicly and explicitly wishing actual death on a political party - even including Shinwell and Bevan - is Robert Kilroy Silk, who wanted UKIP to 'kill the Tories.' Even Margaret Thatcher urged Labour members to stay and retake the party from the far left to provide a proper opposition. How serious she was may be a question for another day.

But sometimes actions are more important than words.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

When? did I miss that?
    12th September 2015.

It needs a modern day Neil Kinnock.

I will never forget him purging Hatton and his cabal from labour
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    Lol, did you actually say ABBA were greater than the Beatles? I mean, I've seen some real shit in here before including stuff about pineapple on pizza and a lot of odd stuff about Radiohead but this takes the biscuit.
    Abba were the only group who could get me on my feet and for some their music was preferred to the Beatles. We are all different with different tastes
  • Options

It seems to enough to me that Brexit will continue to dominate politics for the entirety of this parliament - albeit from outside the EU rather than inside.

Those of us who are Remainers have some tough choices ahead. We cease to be Remainers within the month and I don't really know what psychological effect that will have on those of us of a pro-EU disposition. My own mood is that it's in nobody's interest for us to leave the EU but it's happening so it'd be turning a problem into a total catastrophe if Brexit fails now that it's a certainty to happen.

Those of us who are Lib Dems also have a lot to think about. I hope we can resist the temptation to rush into an early leadership contest (I don't know what the party rules say about how long the position can be left vacant for but I'm sure someone here will tell me). This parliament is going to run full term so there's no rush for us, the 4th largest party, to redefine ourselves as time is on our side and people won't be hugely interested in hearing from us in the short term anyway. I think it's best to let Labour pick their new leader first then we'll know what we're facing from both the big two and we can find the leader best able to tackle them both.

It's not all bad though. At least the new series of Doctor Who begins tonight. :)

Lot to be said, as one who, while no longer a member, is still an LD sympathiser, for leaving Ed Davey in post.
    The European Movement appears to be stirring itself again too. I predict that within a couple of years there'll be a Rejoin movement.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

Crap service at a crepe van?

Incidentally, talking of crap, I have just seen the strapline for Cats. It is apparently 'an experience like no other.'

Those who have been to see it are wholeheartedly agreeing, but not quite as the producers meant...

Seen Cats many years ago. Could just as happily not have.

As for the crepe van, yes crap service is not unknown - and nor is a crap crepe at the end of it.

Still, it is in many other ways excellent.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

When? did I miss that?
    12th September 2015.

..and then fucking it up completely with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8ktNsie0I

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

When? did I miss that?
    12th September 2015.

Dammit @squareroot2 he's a doctor, not a miracle worker... :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    Ha. It's a Mozart versus Beethoven comparison, so I suppose we're back to the "arguably". I would say ABBA defines pop music, while the Beatles aren't really defined by their genre.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

Possibly. But Westlife have to at least be in the conversation. People get blinded by his looks but Keating could hold a tune.
    He was in Boyzone. Not Westlife.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

When? did I miss that?
    12th September 2015.

..and then fucking it up completely with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8ktNsie0I

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro
    He never really recovered from falling into the sea. He was a genuine 24 carat knob. It runs in the family by the way.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026

DEG5Y was a man out of time. He'd be the perfect leader of the Labour party in these febrile days.
  • Options

Those of us who are Lib Dems also have a lot to think about. I hope we can resist the temptation to rush into an early leadership contest (I don't know what the party rules say about how long the position can be left vacant for but I'm sure someone here will tell me).

It doesn't actually say. Article 18 just says an election must be called if the leadership becomes vacant (specifically mentioning, as one way this can happen, the leader losing her seat) and gives the Federal Board control of the timetable. So at the moment it would appear that when it happens is a decision for Mark Pack, as the new party president and acting co-leader with Ed Davey, although it is one he will have to make fairly soon.

I can't see them not having a leadership election by Easter, frankly. What may delay it is that it seems probable Davey will win it anyway.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    Abba were the only group who could get me on my feet and for some their music was preferred to the Beatles. We are all different with different tastes
    I seem to recall that The Beatles represented 'something different' to many. Working in Manchester in the early 60's their appeal, even though they were Liverpool, was very evident.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    As someone-or-other famous once said, the three pivotal names in the history of British pop music were:
    1) Lonnie Donnegan, who showed you did not have to be in a big band
    2) The Beatles, who took Britain to America
    And John Peel type music probably doesn't matter to anyone under the age of 25 now.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Those of us who are Lib Dems also have a lot to think about. I hope we can resist the temptation to rush into an early leadership contest (I don't know what the party rules say about how long the position can be left vacant for but I'm sure someone here will tell me).

It doesn't actually say. Article 18 just says an election must be called if the leadership becomes vacant (specifically mentioning, as one way this can happen, the leader losing her seat) and gives the Federal Board control of the timetable. So at the moment it would appear that when it happens is a decision for Mark Pack, as the new party president and acting co-leader with Ed Davey, although it is one he will have to make fairly soon.

I can't see them not having a leadership election by Easter, frankly. What may delay it is that it seems probable Davey will win it anyway.
    I doubt it will happen but the lib dems and the sane labour party need to come together to form a credible centre left opposition. There is a chance once labour have elected their next leader that upwards of half the labour mps will feel homeless and seek to take action to address the issue, the same action Watson should have led last autumn
  • Options

EPG said:

You observe rightly - I should have written that Boris was against the EU, against Corbyn, and against any further reorganisation of public service funding or organisation. At a stretch, he was for more money for some parts of the NHS, and for investment in the north, yeah, but we are getting down to themes four and five. It was indeed all about no to Europe, Corbyn and austerity.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I doubt it will happen but the lib dems and the sane labour party need to come together to form a credible centre left opposition. There is a chance once labour have elected their next leader that upwards of half the labour mps will feel homeless and seek to take action to address the issue, the same action Watson should have led last autumn
    In a situation where we are outside the EU the could be hope for REAL Liberal revival. Hell of a long way to go, though!
  • Options

Unfortunate choice of words.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

In a situation where we are outside the EU the could be hope for REAL Liberal revival. Hell of a long way to go, though!
    I agree and they have some years to come to terms with policies that will appeal and not just about Europe
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That would be very sensible. You forget however that no one in the Labour Party can even spell sensible.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Fair enough. And if opposed to capital punishment (as I am) one must logically agree.

But do I? Not sure. Let's say I do though. I'm happier saying that.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That would be very sensible. You forget however that no one in the Labour Party can even spell sensible.
    There are some and maybe they will surface later in the year
  • Options
    i.e. Boris presented himself as the stop-all-this-change candidate - which in fact makes him really different to the Donald. Whether this is his sincere goal, or whether he secretly wants full Cummings radical state and foreign policy restructuring, is not relevant to his first GE campaign, but it might matter for the second. I think he does secretly want some of those things, but of course given the way democratic politics works, he has no "spiritual mandate" for them.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Fair enough. And if opposed to capital punishment (as I am) one must logically agree.

But do I? Not sure. Let's say I do though. I'm happier saying that.
    I think that is a wise choice
  • Options

I get the Corbyn hostility, I truly do, but please note that in both the elections he fought he did better on votes and vote share than either of his 2 predecessors. And please also note that Kinnock also lost 2 elections in a row and never won one. Oh and Foot, he got smashed in his one and only.

In the modern era the only Labour leader seen by the British public in their wisdom as electable was one Anthony Charles Lynton Blair.
  • Options
    EPG said:

i.e. Boris presented himself as the stop-all-this-change candidate - which in fact makes him really different to the Donald. Whether this is his sincere goal, or whether he secretly wants full Cummings radical state and foreign policy restructuring, is not relevant to his first GE campaign, but it might matter for the second. I think he does secretly want some of those things, but of course given the way democratic politics works, he has no "spiritual mandate" for them.

I for one am looking forward to full Cummings radical state.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    kinabalu said:

I get the Corbyn hostility, I truly do, but please note that in both the elections he fought he did better on votes and vote share than either of his 2 predecessors. And please also note that Kinnock also lost 2 elections in a row and never won one. Oh and Foot, he got smashed in his one and only.

In the modern era the only Labour leader seen by the British public in their wisdom as electable was one Anthony Charles Lynton Blair.
    Yes, it seems Labour leaders are said to be failures by virtue of their inability to defeat the Tories in General Elections. I'd say that wasn't the stick to be measuring them with, as it seems pretty obvious that we live in a country that has always been more comfortable being led by Conservatives
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

And he couldn't hold a tune. Other than that, the statement is completely accurate.
  • Options

You are totally right. I was mixing up my Irish balladeers. Head hanging and rightly so.

Having said that, imagine Westlife WITH Ronan Keating - what a package that would have been!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Depends what you mean electable. Blair came in after 13 yrs of Tory Govts AND Major's issues with the "Bustards" and the loss of his majority on a drip by drip basis.

Boris was electable because he wasn't May or Cameron, and more specifically not Corbyn, so voters actually voted FOR Boris .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Unfortunate choice of words.
    and in the wrong sequence
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Wishing death/illness on someone should be a straight red, and arguably his attempts at macho boasting over driving cars fast should be a yellow for pure walliness. I was once banned for saying "Dont apologize, I'm sorry you're alive" to Bobajob/Anazina/Last Boy Scout/BobaFett or whatever they were calling themselves at the time, and that was just a joke quoting Edmund in BlackAdder II to Lord Percy.

I will not go up against what is a wholesome sentiment - but if Trump were to choke on a fish bone I'm not sure how distressed I would be. Perhaps best to leave it there. In fact that might be my advice if I were on the scene.
    You couldn't guarantee what followed wouldn't be worse.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kinabalu said:

You are totally right. I was mixing up my Irish balladeers. Head hanging and rightly so.

Having said that, imagine Westlife WITH Ronan Keating - what a package that would have been!
    Yes. All getting off their stools at the same time. The audience going crazy.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    kinabalu said:

Yes, it's easy to be a revisionist now Boris has won his historic majority.

But Corbyn came from a long way behind in 2017 and vastly exceeded expectations, even if the end result was only a hung parliament in the end. The "one more heave" strategy wasn't such a bad idea, particularly when the inept and unpopular Theresa May was in charge. It was certainly the best shot the far left has ever had at getting into power in my lifetime.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Yesterday I posted that I would like to see a better account of the relationship of Britain and the EU in respect of the fishing industry. Later that day I read what appeared to be one in the Guardian; the editorial: 'The Guardian view on Brexit’s fishy tale: we will need friends at sea' and wondered. If the position IS as discussed there it's going to be quite a circle to square to keep all our fishermen happy and meet our international obligations.

The fishermen will get totally shafted. Just as they did in the 70s.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Actually, I disagree.

As long as Pence is Vice President, we can guarantee that what would follow would be worse.

That's one of the many reasons I am amazed the Dems are trying for impeachment.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

What, one where they actually try to convince the voting public about the merits of Liberal policies rather than rely upon the EU legislation to do it for them? That would be novel.
  • Options

Yesterday I posted that I would like to see a better account of the relationship of Britain and the EU in respect of the fishing industry. Later that day I read what appeared to be one in the Guardian; the editorial: 'The Guardian view on Brexit’s fishy tale: we will need friends at sea' and wondered. If the position IS as discussed there it's going to be quite a circle to square to keep all our fishermen happy and meet our international obligations.

It would be highly impolitic to shaft the fishermen, so it won't happen.
  • Options

Depends what you mean electable. Blair came in after 13 yrs of Tory Govts AND Major's issues with the "Bustards" and the loss of his majority on a drip by drip basis.

Boris was electable because he wasn't May or Cameron, and more specifically not Corbyn, so voters actually voted FOR Boris .

My view is that the election was a slam dunk for the Cons but that "Boris" added 50 seats to the majority as compared to your bog standard Con leader.

He was also instrumental in framing and timing the election so perfectly - i.e. he can take credit for making it a slam dunk and can then take further credit for winning by 80 rather than by 30.

People were able to kid themselves that they were voting "Boris" and "Brexit" rather than voting Tory.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Actually, I disagree.

As long as Pence is Vice President, we can guarantee that what would follow would be worse.

That's one of the many reasons I am amazed the Dems are trying for impeachment.
    Disagree, Pence would be terrible but within traditional, well-understood bounds. Trump is probably not going to end up worse, but he's astonishingly uninformed, he's not right in the head and he doesn't listen to advice, and there's a plausible downside case of things like nuclear annihilation.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, it seems Labour leaders are said to be failures by virtue of their inability to defeat the Tories in General Elections. I'd say that wasn't the stick to be measuring them with, as it seems pretty obvious that we live in a country that has always been more comfortable being led by Conservatives
    So the Conservatives can protect the NHS.

The NHS is only at risk from Labour trashing the economy. Yet again.....
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

It's an asymmetric system. Labour is usually the change party, Conservatives usually the no-change party, Thatcher being the big exception. English people dislike change. Compare to French or American people who see the performance of change as a social necessity, even if the substance isn't always there. So that is one big sense in which the game is asymmetric. A corollary is that Labour supporters have higher expectations of their governments and get disillusioned rapidly. Before Corbyn cult it was very hard to get Labour people to parrot the same line, the way many Conservative supporters repeat a small number of slogans and memes. It's still hard to get trad Labour people to do so. There are other asymmetries - the Conservatives have a lot more money, and I think even the fairest-minded commentator would identify a Conservative lean in the media now, to the extent that the party itself doesn't need to run negative campaigns any more, the media will do it for them.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,363

Except that it’s a tiny industry, employing fewer people than Harrods, our position in the negotiations generally is going to be weak with a longer wishlist than has the EU including some services issues that are critical to the economy, and with the market for our domestic catch being mostly the EU. Access to our waters is likely to be an EU red line and it is hard to see any outcome that our fisherfolk will like.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Labour’s huge strategic mistake was turning its back on its own promise to introduce PR, when they had the chance.

This article is very pertinent:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/31/only-way-labour-win-ditch-labourism-corbyn
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

But Corbyn came from a long way behind in 2017 and vastly exceeded expectations, even if the end result was only a hung parliament in the end. The "one more heave" strategy wasn't such a bad idea, particularly when the inept and unpopular Theresa May was in charge. It was certainly the best shot the far left has ever had at getting into power in my lifetime.
    There is a big weight of opinion now (backed by polling) that says it was Corbyn being unacceptable (AS being a big factor), that did for Labour, but I'm not sure. I'd like to have seen what would have happened if their policy programme had been more realistic. People tend (rightly) to vote out of self-interest.

I also wonder if they should have radically altered their Brexit policy to be a 'renegotiated IN' policy. 'We recognise that the vote showed deep dissatisfaction with the EU, so we will negotiate a great deal to go back in as an associate member, and then put this back to the people who can choose to go in under these terms, or continue the process of leaving. Would have required EU support which would not have been guaranteed.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Access to UK fishing waters is something the other side wants, which gives the UK leverage and a rare high card in an otherwise weak negotiating hand. The UK should be able to convert that to a comparatively high level of access to EU markets. (To be clear, relative to No Deal; not relative to the status quo).

But high cards only have value if you play them.

Which is a long-winded way of saying the fishermen will get totally shafted.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Except that it’s a tiny industry, employing fewer people than Harrods, our position in the negotiations generally is going to be weak with a longer wishlist than has the EU including some services issues that are critical to the economy, and with the market for our domestic catch being mostly the EU. Access to our waters is likely to be an EU red line and it is hard to see any outcome that our fisherfolk will like.
    It's a tiny industry because of the EU. I am sure the EU will negotiate strongly on it, as they will on everything. The UK needs to do the same.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Access to UK fishing waters is something the other side wants, which gives the UK leverage and a rare high card in an otherwise weak negotiating hand. The UK should be able to convert that to a comparatively high level of access to EU markets. (To be clear, relative to No Deal; not relative to the status quo).

But high cards only have value if you play them.

Which is a long-winded way of saying the fishermen will get totally shafted.
    Having been wrong about everything the Tories have negotiated since Boris came in, you might think people would be a tad more circumspect.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    Indeed. The Beatles understood how music works, at a much deeper level than is immediately apparent from their hits. ABBA perfected populist pop and marketing their brand, but judged as pure music they aren’t even in the league.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    isam said:

Depressing (for me) but perhaps some truth there.

Pity the Great Financial Crash did not happen on the Tory watch. If it had - i.e if Labour had lost the 05 GE - I think the country might have swung Left in a big way in 2010.

But nothing more futile than counter factuals.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It's a tiny industry because of the EU. I am sure the EU will negotiate strongly on it, as they will on everything. The UK needs to do the same.
    It’s a tiny industry because, were it a big industry, there wouldn’t be any fish.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kyf_100 said:

It was. All hindsight now, of course, but surely they would have had a better shot in a GE following the May Deal passing.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    EPG said:

I don't think that is quite right. The brilliance of the campaign was that Brexit was an assumption - "get it done" was not campaigning *against* the EU; the message was that the whole wearisome argument was over and the Government was now just going to get on with it. The LDs struggled in part because they had a negative message ("against Brexit") with no positive alternative ("the damaged status quo and continued arguments" being unattractive at toxic levels). Labour had a manifesto so positive that no-one really believed it, and Corbyn and his leadership team meant lots stuck with Nanny for fear of worse.

I don't think this is a complex situation to analyse, but the route out for the opposition requires a moment of inspiration that will seem obvious in retrospect but is unguessable right now.
  • Options

All getting off their stools at the same time. The audience going crazy.

Oh yes.

Made it look so easy too.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It’s a tiny industry because, were it a big industry, there wouldn’t be any fish.
    It's a tiny industry because our waters are being fished by overseas fishing fleets. Many of which are selling these fish back to the UK to be processed at our own facilities. I have nothing against Spanish and Portuguese fishermen (people?) and their efforts to grow and prosper, but this situation is an anachronism and can and will be fixed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

It was. All hindsight now, of course, but surely they would have had a good shot in a GE following the May Deal passing.
    An interesting point. The question after Brexit would be akin to the “what sort of peace?” that saw Churchill defeated in 1945. The LibDems must take a lot of ordure for calling the election before Brexit was decided one way or the other.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It's a tiny industry because our waters are being fished by overseas fishing fleets. Many of which are selling these fish back to the UK to be processed at our own facilities. I have nothing against Spanish and Portuguese fishermen (people?) and their efforts to grow and prosper, but this situation is an anachronism and can and will be fixed.
    Problem being that the market for the mackerel and herring mostly caught in our waters is inside the EU, our consumers mostly wanting cod, haddock and plaice from outside.
This discussion has been closed.