Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rishi Sunak – tipped here for next PM when he was 200/1 now 25

13»

Comments

• Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

RT ticker - one million Irish passports issued in 2019 amid Brexit concerns

Some much needed revenue for the ROI as they move from recipients to contributors in the EU.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

According to Twitter (so caveat emptor) Iain Duncan Smith is being awarded a knighthood.

Fair reward for his leadership of the party, his social justice campaigns and holding Chingford and Woodford Green against the Momentum onslaught. Well done Sir Iain
    You really are a lickspittle.
    @HYUFD conveniently forgets IDS's serial disloyalty to two Prime Ministers and the problems with Universal Credit.
    The problems created by osbourne removing the funding IDS said was and is required
    OK. So Osborne is also to blame.

So you design a system which only works if £X amount is spent. You are not given £X but a smaller sum which will cause problems for some of the poorest in the country?

You can either carry on implementing a system with inadequate money while knowing of the problems. Or you can resign.

Which choice did IDS make?
    To be fair to IDS, he resigned
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Some much needed revenue for the ROI as they move from recipients to contributors in the EU.
    I thought it was quite a startling stat - I thought population of ROI was only 3.5 M - hell of a lot of part-time Brits
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

The EU will see that as another million Irishmen, when calculating contributions to their coffers.....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

When exactly *should* we apply civility?

Never. It's a bourgeois tool used to enforce conformity.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Sir Clive Lloyd. Bravo!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,521
    Dura_Ace said:

I would have so much enjoyed your court martial!

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

TGOHF666 said:

I thought it was quite a startling stat - I thought population of ROI was only 3.5 M - hell of a lot of part-time Brits
    I know quite a few Americans with Irish passports. They only keep them because it makes traveling to Europe easier.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I know quite a few Americans with Irish passports. They only keep them because it makes traveling to Europe easier.
    Sounds like they dish them out like a psychiatrist with olanzapine

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Dura_Ace said:

Oh good, that will make me enjoy being civil even more.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

HYUFD is a worthy commenter, with much insight, who is seldom as rude to his detractors, as they are to him.

Jo Maugham career ended yet, like you desperately wanted yesterday?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF666 said:

They do, and have always done so. You need to prove that one of your grandparents was Irish (or Northern Irish). Which makes it one of the easiest passports to get.

That means six million Brits are eligible for an Irish passport. As are many Americans who had a single grandparent emigrate here from Ireland.

All that being said, it is worth remembering that there are 6.6m people in Ireland. If you assume ten year passport duration, you'd expect about 650-700,000 passports issued per year, even before you talk about Brits, Americans or other Irish diaspora.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited December 2019

Do they have a breakdown by citizenship of recipients? Only I've got a bet that fewer than 200k UK citizens are issued them in 2019.

EDIT: BBC says 95k Brits applied. Nice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50926634
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Looking at the results in West Yorkshire, it's looks like Labour didn't do too badly, even when they lost the seat. Holding on to seats such as Halifax and Batley and Spen and only losing 3 or 4% share in many of the seats.

Is that because of the large Muslim votes in many of these seats? Or something else?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF666 said:

They do, and have always done so. You need to prove that one of your grandparents was Irish (or Northern Irish). Which makes it one of the easiest passports to get.

That means six million Brits are eligible for an Irish passport. As are many Americans who had a single grandparent emigrate here from Ireland.
    If she wasn’t laid up with the norovirus, my wife would wave hello. Her grandmother was born in County Tyrone in 1920 and so my wife will remain a citizen of the EU after I cease to be in just over a month. I am jealous.
    rcs1000 said:

All that being said, it is worth remembering that there are 6.6m people in Ireland. If you assume ten year passport duration, you'd expect about 650-700,000 passports issued per year, even before you talk about Brits, Americans or other Irish diaspora.

Don’t forget that once acquired, Irish citizenship is the gift that gives on giving. Most countries that allow dual citizenship and for citizens to pass it on to children born abroad only do so for one generation abroad, including the UK. With Irish citizenship, so long as each generation born outside Ireland registers their offspring as Irish citizens before they themselves have children, Irish citizenship can be passed on indefinitely.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF666 said:

If she wasn’t laid up with the norovirus, my wife would wave hello. Her grandmother was born in County Tyrone in 1920 and so my wife will remain a citizen of the EU after I cease to be in just over a month. I am jealous.
    rcs1000 said:

Don’t forget that once acquired, Irish citizenship is the gift that gives on giving. Most countries that allow dual citizenship and for citizens to pass it on to children born abroad only do so for one generation abroad, including the UK. With Irish citizenship, so long as each generation born outside Ireland registers their offspring as Irish citizens before they themselves have children, Irish citizenship can be passed on indefinitely.
    All well and good but call me eccentric if I stick to my Brit one until I m force fed a Scottish one
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

I see @viewcode is compiling a list of things that happened to people who comment on here in 2019. Well, my first child, a son, was born on November 1st. Leading up to the big day I had thought it would be a happy coincidence if we left the EU at 11pm on October 31st, as the government had said we would, making him one of the first British children to be born a non EU citizen for forty odd years... but it wasn't to be.

It's not that detail that keeps me up at night though! :)

Condolences to all those on the list who had sad news this year.

Congratulations, @isam, happy news! Please tell me you called him @himsam .... :)
    If the day he was born had been the day we left the EU, as promised, I had floated ‘Independence’ as a middle name 🤓

@sonsam Would have been good... gets stronger with every haircut
    @sonOFsam on the other hand has more sinister connotations ...
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Nice, so if one of my parents can find an Irish grandparent, can they get Irish citizenship, then I apply for it myself on the basis of theirs?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

rpjs said:

Nice, so if one of my parents can find an Irish grandparent, can they get Irish citizenship, then I apply for it myself on the basis of theirs?
    From their post it sounds as though you have to register the children before the children themselves have children.
  • Options

rpjs said:

That is correct, yes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rpjs said:

From their post it sounds as though you have to register the children before the children themselves have children.
    So long as one of your grandparents has Irish citizenship, or was born on the island of Ireland, then you're eligible for citizenship.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

So long as one of your grandparents has Irish citizenship, or was born on the island of Ireland, then you're eligible for citizenship.
    In Edmund's case it'd be a great-grandparent, then the registration requirement would be relevant.

In contrast, those wishing to claim citizenship through an Irish citizen great-grandparent would be unable to do so unless their parents were placed into the Foreign Births Register. Their parents can transmit Irish citizenship to only those children born after they themselves were registered and not to any children born before registration.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

In Edmund's case it'd be a great-grandparent, then the registration requirement would be relevant.

In contrast, those wishing to claim citizenship through an Irish citizen great-grandparent would be unable to do so unless their parents were placed into the Foreign Births Register. Their parents can transmit Irish citizenship to only those children born after they themselves were registered and not to any children born before registration.
    The thought is that I'd be claiming though my parent, who would in turn have claimed through a grandparent.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Hang on. EiT's parents can claim Irish citizenship.

Once they are Irish, can't he then claim?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hang on. EiT's parents can claim Irish citizenship.

Hypothetically, BTW...
  • Options
    Older readers will remember this is how Jack Charlton revived Ireland's football team, taking Ireland into the top 10 and to the World Cup: by trawling English clubs for players whose grannies had sung them to sleep with Molly Malone.
    https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/tribute-jack-charltons-republic-ireland-memorable-era/
  • Options
    OBE for James Graham. Who?

Ah yes, the playwright who made a star of Dominic Cummings in Brexit: the Uncivil War.
This discussion has been closed.