Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2019 St John PB Christmas Crossword

13»

Comments

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Yes. Ingrieve means aggravate.
  • Options

In is used for popular but is ingrieve a word?

Yep, just seen it in the dictionary - Ingrieve
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    18 down = earning?.

ENG around Arni (briefly Arnie, ex Gov of Cal).
  • Options
    Thunberg?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

24 down is Labour at the election - they wish!

2 down is Labour after the next election....
  • Options

Thunberg?

Blair leading Brexiteers is B-ERG. Not sure about THUN tho.
  • Options

Thunberg?

Blair leading Brexiteers is B-ERG. Not sure about THUN tho.
    Maybe HUN is almost HUNT (jeremy) inside TB for tony blair.
  • Options
    Yes to Thunberg. Tory almost is HUN(T). Blair is TB. HUN stops TB is T(HUN)B + ERG = Brexiteers. Thunberg = activist.

That’s all folks!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Interested that we now decide class by self-identification.

Can we get half a million people to self-identify as elephants, so they are no longer under threat and we can go back to ivory piano keys?

I thought self-identifying as working class was a bit like self-identifying as a Lib Dem voter. There are twice as many claiming that they are than is possible.
    You have to be a millionarire in politics...
    Keir Starmer seems keen to have entries on his Wikipedia page about his considerable wealth removed.
    This is a made-up story. Until a few days ago, Starmer's page said nothing about how much money he does or does not have. Someone then added a sentence saying he's a millionaire. No citation was given and an hour or two later another editor removed the line. Wikipedia is very keen on citations.

A couple of newspapers then wrote this up as some giant scandal, a big cover-up. There's then been some debate among Wikipedia editors about whether or how to cover that story!

I've not seen anything to suggest Starmer or anyone associated with him has been involved.
    So, is he a millionaire or not? :D
    Of course he is a millionaire. :-D Nearly a 2m house and nearly 20 years as a WC.

From my point of view they have been fulminating on about taxing unearned wealth for the last period, and taxing the barstewards who have it, but don't seem to want stories about their own unearned fortunes :blush: .

MPs can't have second jobs to make extra cash, but it seems that having a house that makes you even more money than a second job without doing a stick of work is fine for the leaders of the People's Party.

Interesting that Wikipedia delete this story on the basis that "The Sun is not a reliable source", but seem quite happy to use the Mail as a source for the wealth of eg Richard Benyon.

I would be interested to know whether it is opponents stirring or Corbyn-Cultists trying to kneecap him in advance.

What is interesting is that all of them may well be millionaires, and what the normal people who they say they represent think about it.

Perhaps they need to follow the example of the new Baby of the House, and use their unearned wealth to promote the values they allege they believe in.

McDonnell has a Dacha in Norfolk that he bought for cash btw....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Oooops. Freudian slip-up.

Sir Starmer is a QC not a WC.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Yes to Thunberg. Tory almost is HUN(T). Blair is TB. HUN stops TB is T(HUN)B + ERG = Brexiteers. Thunberg = activist.

That’s all folks!

Many thanks 👏
  • Options
    stjohn said:

That’s all folks!

Cheers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mitt Romney having a small family get together this Christmas

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1209842364572934145?s=20

Why are half the boys wearing the same shirt?

ETA it is interesting that many of the auto-play videos are captioned.
    And that only with one of his wife's !
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,346
    MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Can we get half a million people to self-identify as elephants, so they are no longer under threat and we can go back to ivory piano keys?

I thought self-identifying as working class was a bit like self-identifying as a Lib Dem voter. There are twice as many claiming that they are than is possible.
    Keir Starmer seems keen to have entries on his Wikipedia page about his considerable wealth removed.
    This is a made-up story. Until a few days ago, Starmer's page said nothing about how much money he does or does not have. Someone then added a sentence saying he's a millionaire. No citation was given and an hour or two later another editor removed the line. Wikipedia is very keen on citations.

A couple of newspapers then wrote this up as some giant scandal, a big cover-up. There's then been some debate among Wikipedia editors about whether or how to cover that story!

I've not seen anything to suggest Starmer or anyone associated with him has been involved.
    Of course he is a millionaire. :-D Nearly a 2m house and nearly 20 years as a WC.

From my point of view they have been fulminating on about taxing unearned wealth for the last period, and taxing the barstewards who have it, but don't seem to want stories about their own unearned fortunes :blush: .

MPs can't have second jobs to make extra cash, but it seems that having a house that makes you even more money than a second job without doing a stick of work is fine for the leaders of the People's Party.

Interesting that Wikipedia delete this story on the basis that "The Sun is not a reliable source", but seem quite happy to use the Mail as a source for the wealth of eg Richard Benyon.

I would be interested to know whether it is opponents stirring or Corbyn-Cultists trying to kneecap him in advance.

What is interesting is that all of them may well be millionaires, and what the normal people who they say they represent think about it.

Perhaps they need to follow the example of the new Baby of the House, and use their unearned wealth to promote the values they allege they believe in.

So.i was right.. he and probably others want to.hide their wealth from their red wall voters ..
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597
    Thanks for organising the crossword, St. John. It was great fun.

I've just been watching Glenda Jackson on the Morecambe and Wise Show. I'd forgotten how stunning she was when younger.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    MattW said:

Although he did get dumped on by Corbyn over Brexit.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    MattW said:

I like version 1 better.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who had a go at the crossword - especially SandraMc, who once again kept things moving along. And to andypet. Also to Sunil - who almost solved one! And thanks to Mike for indulging me once again.

😀

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Pierre Delecto and supporters.
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

So.i was right.. he and probably others want to.hide their wealth from their red wall voters ..
    Yes, although Boris's Wikipedia page suggests he too is running for leader of the Labour Party, if not being described as a millionaire is the criterion.
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

To be slightly less hard on Sir Keir, there is some truth in the claim that uplift in decent size properties in London generates millions over time.

Ed Milliband had the same problem with his big terrace in Dartmouth Park.

But I think they really need to decide how they will reconcile their unearned wealth with their alleged values, and because they wish to mine everybody else's "windfalls", I am quite happy to be fairly harsh.

A series of stories about all of them would be most welcome.
  • Options
    MattW said:

To be slightly less hard on Sir Keir, there is some truth in the claim that uplift in decent size properties in London generates millions over time.

But I think they really need to decide how they will reconcile their unearned wealth with their alleged values, and because they wish to mine everybody else's "windfalls", I am quite happy to be fairly harsh.

Surely it would only serve to shut down accusations of hypocrisy if they are imposing new taxes on themselves?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    MattW said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

I am reminded of a couple, acquaintances of friends, who were management consultants in the NHS. Furiously progressive, green and anti-Tory. Lived in vast North London house with a an actual curved gravel drive before the door of their Georgian symmetrical. His and hers Range Rovers, complete with custom plates. I can only imagine the rate they charged the NHS....
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

Yes, although Boris's Wikipedia page suggests he too is running for leader of the Labour Party, if not being described as a millionaire is the criterion.
    If the current rumours are true, Boris has less children by various partners than Ken Livingston.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,264

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

I ible.

The story was really that someone repeatedly edited in the info to the article, rather than its deletion. WP likely takes the view that whereas notable wealth like Branson’s is worthy of a mention, inserting ‘millionaire’ into the bio article of everyone with a London house is not.
  • Options

MattW said:

Surely it would only serve to shut down accusations of hypocrisy if they are imposing new taxes on themselves?
    Absolutely - if that were to happen.

Nothing would make me happier than to see them following some variety of the model of Nadia Wittome from Nottingham East, tuned to their circumstances.

It is exactly the same issue as politicians sending their politicians to Independent Schools, then trying to deny the opportunity to poorer people. The Electorate - correctly - do not like hypocrites.
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

If the current rumours are true, Boris has less children by various partners than Ken Livingston.
    I'm not sure many voters will care enough to change their vote. It is like when some Labour activists would criticise Cameron for being posh. Everyone knows, no-one cares.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Absolutely - if that were to happen.

Nothing would make me happier than to see them following some variety of the model of Nadia Wittome from Nottingham East, tuned to their circumstances.

It is exactly the same issue as politicians sending their politicians to Independent Schools, then trying to deny the opportunity to poorer people. The Electorate - correctly - do not like hypocrites.
    It's precisely the opposite, I'd have thought. In the schools case there is hypocrisy; for the wealth (or whatever) tax, there is not because that would be imposed on politicians as well. It might be politically damaging for other obvious reasons but not that one.
  • Options

I am reminded of a couple, acquaintances of friends, who were management consultants in the NHS. Furiously progressive, green and anti-Tory. Lived in vast North London house with a an actual curved gravel drive before the door of their Georgian symmetrical. His and hers Range Rovers, complete with custom plates. I can only imagine the rate they charged the NHS....

Theresa May was right. Conservatives did come to be seen as the nasty party by large numbers of well-to-do professionals who really ought to have been voting Tory but had become disaffected growing up during the Thatcher/Major years. As that cohort ages, things might become even more difficult for Labour.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,545
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

I like version 1 better.
    You’re suggesting RLB will piss all over him in the leadership election ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

I ible.

ey believe in.

The story was really that someone repeatedly edited in the info to the article, rather than its deletion. WP likely takes the view that whereas notable wealth like Branson’s is worthy of a mention, inserting ‘millionaire’ into the bio article of everyone with a London house is not.
    Branson lost the West Coast Rail Franchise a couple of weeks back.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Unit_390156_at_Birmingham_New_Street_in_Avanti_West_Coast_02.jpg
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

MattW said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

SNIP
    SNIP

My son went to school with the kids of a consultant.

He bought a pretty expensive house which had an indoor swimming pool

He wanted to change the pool house to a 2 story building with a games room above - plus some other works around the house.

He didn't want to have his kids stressed by the works so he kept the house they were living in whilst the works were completed

Budget for the works was circa 60k I think ......

To cap it all the new house was not inside the time / distance to hospital which he had to be.

So, the hospital fudged the rules for him......

I also remember he was very fond of regaling people with his salary level at social get togethers...
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

FEWER.not less.. @grammar police .
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Theresa May was right. Conservatives did come to be seen as the nasty party by large numbers of well-to-do professionals who really ought to have been voting Tory but had become disaffected growing up during the Thatcher/Major years. As that cohort ages, things might become even more difficult for Labour.
    Actually, they were just hideous hypocrites - greens who drive multiple Range Rovers?

Their anti-Toryism came from a policy change that capped the rates that non-medical staff in their part of the NHS could get. Don't worry - they were still pulling in 4 figures a day each, but apparently they'd had their lifestyle hit by the "austerity".

They were completely vile people IIRC - loads of the psycho-sexual level of spitting hatred for people they didn't like. A Jewish friend I bumped into at a gathering at their house (I only met them twice) made the sickest, funniest comment about them.....
  • Options
    Floater said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

SNIP
    SNIP

:
    North London house with a an actual curved gravel drive before the door of their Georgian symmetrical. His and hers Range Rovers, complete with custom plates. I can only imagine the rate they charged the NHS....

He wanted to change the pool house to a 2 story building with a games room above - plus some other works around the house.

He didn't want to have his kids stressed by the works so he kept the house they were living in whilst the works were completed

To cap it all the new house was not inside the time / distance to hospital which he had to be.

I also remember he was very fond of regaling people with his salary level at social get togethers...
    60K - was he going to food banks? The poor man should have had at least 600K.
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

:
    :
    I'm not sure many voters will care enough to change their vote. It is like when some Labour activists would criticise Cameron for being posh. Everyone knows, no-one cares.
    I'm just mentioning the hypocrisy - Ken's private life was (and is) carefully guarded - mostly using legal threats, relating to child welfare.
  • Options
    Who gives a shit about Livingstone.. yesterdays man with a very nasty agenda
  • Options

I'm just mentioning the hypocrisy - Ken's private life was (and is) carefully guarded - mostly using legal threats, relating to child welfare.
    Is it? I'm fairly sure I've seen Ken walking his sprogs on telly and (re hypocrisy) has Ken attacked Boris over this?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Actually, they were just hideous hypocrites - greens who drive multiple Range Rovers?

Their anti-Toryism came from a policy change that capped the rates that non-medical staff in their part of the NHS could get. Don't worry - they were still pulling in 4 figures a day each, but apparently they'd had their lifestyle hit by the "austerity".

They were completely vile people IIRC - loads of the psycho-sexual level of spitting hatred for people they didn't like. A Jewish friend I bumped into at a gathering at their house (I only met them twice) made the sickest, funniest comment about them.....
    What was that comment?
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

:

There must be something in the water at City Hall
  • Options
    Thanks to St John again for providing the Xmas entertainment on PB. Can I book you for next year St John?
  • Options

Thanks to St John again for providing the Xmas entertainment on PB. Can I book you for next year St John?

Hi Mike. Yes, you may. 😀

Though I’m starting to run out of political names to squeeze into the political crossword jigsaw Puzzle! I suppose another “Chuka” will be along any moment.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

ISNIP

:

SNIP
    SNIP

:
    North London house with a an actual curved gravel drive before the door of their Georgian symmetrical. His and hers Range Rovers, complete with custom plates. I can only imagine the rate they charged the NHS....

60K - was he going to food banks? The poor man should have had at least 600K.
    I forgot to mention the 2 sets of private tuition school fees he was shelling out for too......

• Options
    BigRich said:

What was that comment?
    A bad taste Holocaust joke that would have had Rod Crosby climbing the curtains. I am quite certain that OGH wouldn't want it here.
  • Options

Is it? I'm fairly sure I've seen Ken walking his sprogs on telly and (re hypocrisy) has Ken attacked Boris over this?
    How shall I put this - you have seen some of Ken's children. Various journalists have been warned off, over the years on this subject.

The hypocrisy is not from Ken - who, not being a total idiot, didn't raise the subject.

The hypocrisy came from certain Labour people who tried to use the avenue of attack against Boris, having previously helped Ken keep his social behaviour out of the limelight.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Thanks to everyone who had a go at the crossword - especially SandraMc, who once again kept things moving along. And to andypet. Also to Sunil - who almost solved one! And thanks to Mike for indulging me once again.

😀

Thanks stjohn. I didn't manage to get any before others did but your crosswords are now as much part of my christmas traditions as (dare I say it) the Queen's Speech.

Merry Christmas sir.
  • Options

stjohn said:

😀

Thanks stjohn. I didn't manage to get any before others did but your crosswords are now as much part of my christmas traditions as (dare I say it) the Queen's Speech.

Merry Christmas sir.
    Thanks Richard. Yes, it has become a great tradition and great fun for me. Back in the day I would post an occasional crossword clue on the thread - which led one day to Peter the Punter suggesting I compile a PB Christmas crossword. So it was Ptp’s original idea.
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    edited December 2019

How shall I put this - you have seen some of Ken's children. Various journalists have been warned off, over the years on this subject.

The hypocrisy is not from Ken - who, not being a total idiot, didn't raise the subject.

The hypocrisy came from certain Labour people who tried to use the avenue of attack against Boris, having previously helped Ken keep his social behaviour out of the limelight.
    Eh? Ken is a serial shagger?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It looks like Amy could be into fourth​ shortly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

HYUFD said:
    It looks like Amy could be into fourth​ shortly.
    She needs to be top three in Iowa, because (as the old saying goes) there are only three tickets out of Iowa.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Floater said:
    Britain isn't a "dominant global economy" today! There are exactly two dominant global economies, the US and China. There are then two also rans, Germany and Japan, and then three or four decent mid to large sized economies - Canada, the UK and France.

In the long run, we simply don't have the population to be a "dominant global economy" (and nor do Japan or Germany). Only China, the US, and in the future potentially India or Brazil, could fulfil that role.

And ultimately, Brexit won't be the major factor in our economic success: it will be mostly the choices made by our politicians.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:
    Britain isn't a "dominant global economy" today! There are exactly two dominant global economies, the US and China. There are then two also rans, Germany and Japan, and then three or four decent mid to large sized economies - Canada, the UK and France.

In the long run, we simply don't have the population to be a "dominant global economy" (and nor do Japan or Germany). Only China, the US, and in the future potentially India or Brazil, could fulfil that role.

And ultimately, Brexit won't be the major factor in our economic success: it will be mostly the choices made by our politicians.
    Robert: whenever you feel the need to criticise the Mail’s economic analysis you should read this first:

https://m.xkcd.com/386/
  • Options

Certain Labour people? The first two google results for "Boris children" are from the Sun and Express. In any case, Ken was not a candidate for prime minister, and is not even Labour so there is no equivalence. A google search for "Corbyn children" finds the same Sun and Express in the top four results. Back to Boris: google also shows the question was raised during the Conservative leadership race last summer. Journalistic prurience or rival Tories planting questions?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    HYUFD said:

They like their denim shirts
This discussion has been closed.