Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s GE2019 post mortem

124»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,254

speedy2 said:

HYUFD said:

Jess Phillips and Nandy look best for Labour in terms of appealing to the public in a new Yougov poll, Thornberry worst https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1207760010442264576?s=20

At 19% I'm pretty sure some people might confuse Nandy for Nandos.
    Almost half have heard of Emily, astounding ​statistic.
    Mostly due to just one tweeted photo.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,254
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

Starting to think Boris is right on prison sentences.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/12/19/teen-prison-court-same-sex-couple-brutal-london-bus-attack-referral-order-melania-geymonat-christine-hannigan/

I am going to guess the judge was a white straight Anglo-Saxon male.

There used to be a magistrate who had a blog called "The Law West of Ealing Broadway". It used to contain wonderful (anonymised) versions of cases he heard at one point or another.

One of the best bits is that he'd have a case, and then he'd ask people in the comments what people thought the sentence that was given would be, and how much people would actually serve. People invariably guessed way low on sentences. Because regular, just sentences aren't news. We don't hear about a burglar who gets five years, because it's not newsworthy. On the other hand, should a teenage attacker of LBG couples avoid jailtime... well, that's a story.

The consequence of this is that we only hear about sentences that seem to defy logic. And this skews public perception of sentencing policing.
    Sounds like stronger minimum sentences should be used to stop the stupid cases then. There is no reason why an intentional violent hate crime should avoid prison time.
    Why should me punching someone because they're gay or Muslim attract a greater sentence than me punching then because I don't like the way they're looking at my pint?
    Being a mindless thug is bad enough, but being a bigoted mindless thug is worse.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    Did Sanders and Biden avoid shitting themselves on stage ?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Across the pond, aren't the Democrats committing exactly the same error that the British Opposition did?

Labour and LibDems played politics - 'dicking around' and thus putting off a huge number of people. The Democrats are now doing exactly the same.

p.s. for the record, I said they should have backed Theresa's deal. When they didn't, I said they should have VONC'd Johnson on Sept 25th when they had the chance. Playing politics with the ridiculous filibustering served to increase Johnson's majority.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    p.s. I think Johnson is quite right to put a 12-month limit on the trade deal. Yep, it's going to be tough but otherwise there would be further dithering for a decade.

Nothing like a deadline to focus minds.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    IanB2 said:

speedy2 said:

HYUFD said:

Jess Phillips and Nandy look best for Labour in terms of appealing to the public in a new Yougov poll, Thornberry worst https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1207760010442264576?s=20

At 19% I'm pretty sure some people might confuse Nandy for Nandos.
    Almost half have heard of Emily, astounding ​statistic.
    Mostly due to just one tweeted photo.
    "If I could turn back time...."
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    New thread
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    Foxy said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/12/19/teen-prison-court-same-sex-couple-brutal-london-bus-attack-referral-order-melania-geymonat-christine-hannigan/

There used to be a magistrate who had a blog called "The Law West of Ealing Broadway". It used to contain wonderful (anonymised) versions of cases he heard at one point or another.

One of the best bits is that he'd have a case, and then he'd ask people in the comments what people thought the sentence that was given would be, and how much people would actually serve. People invariably guessed way low on sentences. Because regular, just sentences aren't news. We don't hear about a burglar who gets five years, because it's not newsworthy. On the other hand, should a teenage attacker of LBG couples avoid jailtime... well, that's a story.

The consequence of this is that we only hear about sentences that seem to defy logic. And this skews public perception of sentencing policing.
    Sounds like stronger minimum sentences should be used to stop the stupid cases then. There is no reason why an intentional violent hate crime should avoid prison time.
    Douglas Hurd was the only Home Sec of recent times to get it. Prison is an expensive way to make bad people worse.

Bang up this teenager and guarantee him being in and out of prison forever.
    The stocks with a good supply of cabbages should do the trick. nothing like humiliation and our forefathers knew, but then it would against his uman writes
  • Options

Message to SNP - Pete "heavy breathing like a hollywood monster" Wishart is not the chap to make your message.

I’m not a big fan of the SNP, as you know, but to be fair he’s at least got a bit of charisma and sense of humour, unlike Ian Blackford.

Blackford would depress Lord Sauron.
  • Options

I may have misheard but I think KLOBUCHAR just promised to build a fridge to the next century, I want to hear more about this idea

It’s not that good an idea.

Chill.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,462
    Foxy said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

Douglas Hurd was the only Home Sec of recent times to get it. Prison is an expensive way to make bad people worse.

Bang up this teenager and guarantee him being in and out of prison forever.
    Perhaps we need to reconsider abolishing sentences under 6 months or one year.
This discussion has been closed.