Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Delusions

Comments

• Options

HYUFD said:

Thankyou, though given Thursday's Boris near landslide I think I can say I am now in the centre ground

Technically I think a landslide is over 100 seats, is this right?
    It doesn't really matter. It was large enough to call it what you like. It is hardly worth splitting hairs.

The good news is Boris owns Brexit for good or for bad, and Corbyn is going. What is not to like?
    Fair point - but all those people I think Johnson is going to screw over, all the poor and homeless people who I expect will continue to be ignored, I am sure won't have the pleasure of a Johnson premiership.

But we will see where we are in five years.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Mr. Hauser, the Scots voted to stay in the UK. That's not a prison. That's a choice.

And now they choose to vote again?
    And the Scots voted to stay in Europe. This decision must also be recognised and respected.
    There was no Scottish EU referendum.

The Scots voted to stay in the UK, the UK chose to leave the EU, ergo the Scots leave the EU.

If the Scots wanted to make their own decision on EU membership they should have left the UK when they had the chance.
    In 2014 they were told that a vote for independence was a vote to leave the EU. It turned out that the opposite was

Don't be a dingbat. Campaigners on

I highlight as follows:
    Yes and as others
    And so would I.

I am content for indy 2 in late 2021 and keep repeating the union will win
    I really don't think it will. The EU referendum has been a wake up call for many Scots, me included, who always saw the Union as essentially benign. I feel like a mug now, the SNP, who I always despised, turned out to be right all along.
    Not when you face

The border issue will make Ireland look like a walk in the park

Not to say the loss of business as companies leave the EU high corporation tax rates for the UK 19%, plus loss of benefits, especially to Scots whisky, in a UK - US trade deal

And do not forget there are many close cross border family ties

This is far from a winning hand for independence
    It's only a hard border

Though I agree that hard border is likely. We will find out soon enough.
    I am content that ' nothing will change'
    I think that is denying the reality of Brexit. A frictionless border only exists in the Single Market. With less than that it is about the degree of friction involved.
    Nothing will shift my believe the Scots will stay in the union
    In which case you should have no fear of a vote on the issue!
    I haven't to be honest.

However, it needs Holyrood 2021 to give the SNP the mandate
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I expect the SNP will get another majority with the Greens, they did last time. Why will next time be different.

The latest Holyrood poll earlier this month had the SNP on 46% on the constituency vote, unchanged from last time but down on the regional list vote from 41.7% to just 37% with the Greens only up from 6.6% to 8%.

If the SNP and Greens thus lose their majority at Holyrood in 2021 they cannot claim a mandate for indyref2.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/saacor9lpe/TheTimes_191203_Scotland_VI_Results_w2_W.pdf
    You and opinion polls again. Polls aren't facts. If the SNP and Greens lose their majority in 2021 they won't be able to claim a mandate I agree, but Labour are so weak that's extremely unlikely to occur. And the Lib Dems losing their Scottish election won't help that either.
  • Options
    The Johnson view on Indy Ref 2 is clearly untenable. If the SNP win again in 2021 (?) he's going to have to reconsider. If the Scottish people keep electing the SNP, it is their democratic right to have another referendum.
  • Options
    andypetuk said:

On wednesday Boris will attend his first PMQ v Corbyn and it could be brutal

Then on thursday Corbyn to respond to the QS

Labour need to act tomorrow to depose Corbyn otherwise it will be humiliation on humiliation

I don’t think there will be PMQs. Tuesday and Wednesday are devoted to the election of the speaker and swearing in of members.
    Sky mentioned it today
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited December 2019

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

It's strange to see people stick their fingers in their ears about Brexit and its many downsides but then become experts on Scottish Independence and how bad it will be

It's perfectly possible for someone to honestly believe that Brexit is good and Scottish independence is bad, wouldn't you say?
    Quite possibly, but to deny Scottish self determination on the issue is a contradiction. To vote against it in Sindyref3 is compatible.
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

It's strange to see people stick their fingers in their ears about Brexit and its many downsides but then become experts on Scottish Independence and how bad it will be

It's perfectly possible for someone to honestly believe that Brexit is good and Scottish independence is bad, wouldn't you say?
    Quite possibly, but to deny Scottish self determination on the issue is a contradiction. To vote against it in Sindyref3 is compatible.
    the people denying the Scots self determiniation are the SNP. The majority of Scots don't want Indyref2 and still want to stay in the Union,
    Then why do they keep electing the SNP in general elections by a landslide? Why do they keep electing the SNP into the Government?
    Its simply the vagaries of the electoral systems. Our electoral systems allow majorities off plurality votes. Weve had lots of this for years of government with minority votes.

Referenda are different since they are based on a single issue ( allegedly ). Of the two in this decade both have gone against the will of the governments pushing them.
  • Options

Nothing will shift my believe the Scots will stay in the union

Perhaps not entirely persuasive after you're recent foray in Scotpol predicting.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

the people denying the Scots self determiniation are the SNP. The majority of Scots don't want Indyref2 and still want to stay in the Union,
    Then why do they keep electing the SNP in general elections by a landslide? Why do they keep electing the SNP into the Government?
    Its simply the vagaries of the electoral systems. Our electoral systems allow majorities off plurality votes. Weve had lots of this for years of government with minority votes.

Referenda are different since they are based on a single issue ( allegedly ). Of the two in this decade both have gone against the will of the governments pushing them.
    But my point is that if they keep electing Governments that want a referendum, how on Earth is it a tenable position to say no?

We've just elected Johnson by a massive majority to deliver Brexit. If I came along and said "no", you'd call me a nutter.

It's just hypocrisy, it really is.
  • Options

I consider myself very well versed in Scots matters having lived and been associated with the Scots, Scotland and it's politics for nearly 70 years
    Not doubting it, it's a shame you don't provide the same kind of analysis of Brexit
    I am a remainer remember so brexit happening is the will of the people being respected for better or worse
    If Scottish people keep electing the SNP by a landslide, will you accept their right to a referendum or do you just pick and choose the results you like?
    If they elect a Scottish SNP majority government in a landslide in 2021 then yes they should have a referendum

Last thursday the SNP achieved 45% so not a majority vote

They will however lose it
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

HYUFD said:

Thankyou, though given Thursday's Boris near landslide I think I can say I am now in the centre ground

It doesn't really matter. It was large enough to call it what you like. It is hardly worth splitting hairs.

The good news is Boris owns Brexit for good or for bad, and Corbyn is going. What is not to like?
    Fair point - but all those people I think Johnson is going to screw over, all the poor and homeless people who I expect will continue to be ignored, I am sure won't have the pleasure of a Johnson premiership.

It was the ignored who voted for him. Settle down and relax with the popcorn and enjoy the ride. It might be bumpy and it might even come off the rails. Let's hope not of the latter though.

Now is not the time to raise doubts, but between you and me, Jennifer Arcuri may well cause insurmountable problems for Boris sooner rather than later. He may ride out any criticism but the public money issue could yet prove problematic.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

The Johnson view on Indy Ref 2 is clearly untenable. If the SNP win again in 2021 (?) he's going to have to reconsider. If the Scottish people keep electing the SNP, it is their democratic right to have another referendum.

It's their democratic right to keep electing an impotent SNP.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

But my point is that if they keep electing Governments that want a referendum, how on Earth is it a tenable position to say no?

We've just elected Johnson by a massive majority to deliver Brexit. If I came along and said "no", you'd call me a nutter.

No they keep electing a government that fights thir corner.
  • Options

I consider myself very well versed in Scots matters having lived and been associated with the Scots, Scotland and it's politics for nearly 70 years
    Not doubting it, it's a shame you don't provide the same kind of analysis of Brexit
    I am a remainer remember so brexit happening is the will of the people being respected for better or worse
    If Scottish people keep electing the SNP by a landslide, will you accept their right to a referendum or do you just pick and choose the results you like?
    If they elect a Scottish SNP majority government in a landslide in 2021 then yes they should have a referendum

So it is about picking results you like. The majority of people voted for pro-Remain/pro second ref parties in the election - but I'm not going to sit here and argue we should Remain in the EU or have another referendum.

The hypocrisy just shines through I'm afraid.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

HYUFD said:

It wont be five. If he thinks he will win it will be sooner.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

Tories got less than 45% on Thursday, parties favouring a peoples vote or Revoke had the majority.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Leave parties only had 48% of the vote so we clearly don’t have to leave on that basis😀
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

With their main policy being Independence.

Are you saying therefore that Johnson wasn't elected to deliver Brexit? Let's remain in the EU then, since most people didn't vote for Johnson.

Hypocrisy all around.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

Do we know the general ideological stance of the newly elected Tory MPs?

Mostly just run of the mill.
    They are a typical collection of bankers, lawyers, consultants with some odd one outs.
    Quite a few doctors too. My noble profession contested a lot of seats:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1203241356728115200?s=19
    Maybe they should be working in the NHS. We pay their wages !!!!
  • Options

And if they keep electing a Government who want a referendum they surely have to be allowed it. Your subtle attack on them shows deep down you know I'm right but you won't admit it because it would make you a hypocrite.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

With their main policy being Independence.

Are you saying therefore that Johnson wasn't elected to deliver Brexit? Let's remain in the EU then, since most people didn't vote for Johnson.

Hypocrisy all around.
    you wouldn't have PM Johnson if Parliament had accepted the referendum result. That's where the hypocrisy lies.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Tories got less than 45% on Thursday, parties favouring a peoples vote or Revoke had the majority.

This argument is pointless, it's just rank hypocrisy from this lot.

I am happy to accept we're leaving the EU as Johnson has got a majority - but these people don't have the decency or honesty to do the same the other way around. But it's fine because Tory word is final.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Foxy said:

The Tories won a majority at Westminster on a platform of delivering Brexit, the SNP will need to win a majority at Holyrood 2021 on a platform of indyref2
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Perhaps Boris will add a second ballot to the next Holyrood election - Do you want a second indyref - Yes or No.
  • Options

Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

They are a typical collection of bankers, lawyers, consultants with some odd one outs.

Presumably the ones not elected will be! I know Dr Eynon in NW Leics. She is an excellent GP.
  • Options

you wouldn't have PM Johnson if Parliament had accepted the referendum result. That's where the hypocrisy lies.

What does this have to do with literally anything?

We had an election, the circumstances in how we got there are irrelevant. The people voted, they voted for Johnson and the Tories and gave them a large majority. We are leaving.

This is a really very poor attempt to weasel out of your rank hypocrisy.

BTW, is this the referendum result Johnson himself voted against twice?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Boris had as big a lead on votes over Corbyn on Thursday as Blair had over Hague in 2001 and that is termed a landslide, on seats the Tories won their biggest majority since Thatcher
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

The Tories won a majority at Westminster on a platform of delivering Brexit, the SNP will need to win a majority at Holyrood 2021 on a platform of indyref2
    That vote has already passed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/28/scottish-parliament-votes-for-second-independence-referendum-nicola-sturgeon
  • Options
    andypetuk said:

Labour need to act tomorrow to depose Corbyn otherwise it will be humiliation on humiliation

I don’t think there will be PMQs. Tuesday and Wednesday are devoted to the election of the speaker and swearing in of members.
    Nobody thinks The Speaker won't be returned to the post do they?
  • Options

Brexiteers fighting for their own independence while denying it to others is not a good look. It's just typical Tory arrogance and will ultimately backfire because the Scots won't have it.
  • Options

So it is about picking results you like. The majority of people voted for pro-Remain/pro second ref parties in the election - but I'm not going to sit here and argue we should Remain in the EU or have another referendum.

Whatever if it keeps you happy

I can only agree the Scots should have a referendum in late 2021 if they win Holyrood

I think you have far more serious problems in trying to prevent the extinction of the labour party
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

This would explain the entire series of Unionist landslide election victories that have taken place in Scotland since 2014.

Oh, wait...
  • Options

Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

At a glance, most of those Tory doctors must have won mustn’t they?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I expect the SNP will get another majority with the Greens, they did last time. Why will next time be different.

The latest Holyrood poll earlier this month had the SNP on 46% on the constituency vote, unchanged from last time but down on the regional list vote from 41.7% to just 37% with the Greens only up from 6.6% to 8%.

If the SNP and Greens thus lose their majority at Holyrood in 2021 they cannot claim a mandate for indyref2.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/saacor9lpe/TheTimes_191203_Scotland_VI_Results_w2_W.pdf
    You and opinion polls again. Polls aren't facts. If the SNP and Greens lose their majority in 2021 they won't be able to claim a mandate I agree, but Labour are so weak that's extremely unlikely to occur. And the Lib Dems losing their Scottish election won't help that either.
    In PR terms Labour will still get around 15% as most likely will the LDs, with the Tories on 25%+ that makes a Unionist majority
  • Options

Foxy said:

I am happy to accept we're leaving the EU as Johnson has got a majority - but these people don't have the decency or honesty to do the same the other way around. But it's fine because Tory word is final.
    the UK system is based on a plurality gaining a majority. Even Blair in his mega win only got 43% of the vote. Are you saying all his reforms are illegal and should be reversed ?

That is the system we work under and everyone works with it. If you don't like it vote for PR. But oddly once Labour has got to that point by being in government
    it will suddenly decide PR is a bad idea and FPTP is better as indeed has every UK government before it.
  • Options

Catalan nationalists won a majority in their legislature though and Spain still blocked an independence referendum
  • Options

Brexiteers fighting for their own independence while denying it to others is not a good look. It's just typical Tory arrogance and will ultimately backfire because the Scots won't have it.
    The Scots had their "once in a generation" chance - and chose not to take it.

Brexiteers had their "once in a generation" chance - and chose to take it.

Simple as that.
  • Options

I can only agree the Scots should have a referendum in late 2021 if they win Holyrood

I think you have far more serious problems in trying to prevent the extinction of the labour party
    You're just a hypocrite, end of story.

I am trying to stop the extinction of Labour, I am taking action on it - but your pathetic whataboutism is telling.

You really have been brainwashed.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I am trying to stop the extinction of Labour, I am taking action on it - but your pathetic whataboutism is telling.

You should have taken action earlier rather than turning up here ramping and trying to deflect valid criticism of where Labour currently is.

• Options

Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

Yes, the new MP in Bosworth being one. A step up from the useless David Tredinick probably.
  • Options

Perhaps Boris will add a second ballot to the next Holyrood election - Do you want a second indyref - Yes or No.

Would love to hear how you think this would be done.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/28/scottish-parliament-votes-for-second-independence-referendum-nicola-sturgeon
    They did not campaign specifically for indyref2 at Holyrood 2016 and thus have no mandate for it, especially as they lost their outright majority then anyway
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

You should have taken action earlier rather than turning up here ramping and trying to deflect valid criticism of where Labour currently is.

Oh do sod off, do you ever post anything of use to anyone?
  • Options

You are becoming too personal and losing it

Labours demise is hurting and I can understand that

• Options

take a break
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019

We had an election, the circumstances in how we got there are irrelevant. The people voted, they voted for Johnson and the Tories and gave them a large majority. We are leaving.

I think two things are true.

1) The SNP should get a second referendum - not off the back of this election but off the back of the last Hollyrood election. Powers to call them should be permanently devolved to the various assemblies.

2) It’s smart politics for the PM to refuse it, and allow the SNP to be impotent and gradually have its Gvt record catch up with it; just as it’s embroiled in scandal.

The PM will be morally wrong, but politically clever.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

They did not campaign specifically for indyref2 at Holyrood 2016 and thus have no mandate for it, especially as they lost their outright majority then anyway
    Casuistry. Holyrood has backed a further Sindyref.
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has posted this, but it doesn’t make great reading for anyone who wants effective opposition to Boris: https://theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/15/labour-leadership-race-begins-as-senior-figures-back-rebecca-long-bailey
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Its a not uncommon phenomenon, around the world, for pro-independence parties to get votes from people who then don't back actual independence.
  • Options

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but it doesn’t make great reading for anyone who wants effective opposition to Boris: https://theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/15/labour-leadership-race-begins-as-senior-figures-back-rebecca-long-bailey

I hope the PLP stop her from standing, she will be awful
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Chameleon said:

the long termers on here had 2 years of Indyref arguments. Weve heard it all before.
    I think that I was most active around that time. I really don't want to go through it again.
    Hear, hear.

I think there will be two differences next time, if there is a next time.

1. It won't simply be "should Scotland be an independent country?" It will be a choice between UK and EU membership. As the latter will represent all kinds of risks and discontinuities (currency, economics, fiscal transfers, pensions, fisheries, etc) then its certainly not a slam dunk for "Indy".
    2. UK Govt will, rightly, amend referendum question so that it reads something like: "Should Scotland be an independent country - and leave the United Kingdom?"
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Watching C4 Election night on catch up. Truly dreadful. Desperate for some Tory bad news and very unfunny comedians.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Its a not uncommon phenomenon, around the world, for pro-independence parties to get votes from people who then don't back actual independence.
    It helps that they are the only credible centre left party in scotland. SLab are nowhere and LibDems are still a busted flush
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It's almost heroic the amount of crap you spout on this subject from such a low knowledge base.

'We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people – or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will.'
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Mr. Hauser, the Scots voted to stay in the UK. That's not a prison. That's a choice.

And now they choose to vote again?
    And the Scots voted to stay in Europe. This decision must also be recognised and respected.
    There was no Scottish EU referendum.

The Scots voted to stay in the UK, the UK chose to leave the EU, ergo the Scots leave the EU.

If the Scots wanted to make their own decision on EU membership they should have left the UK when they had the chance.
    Well - arguably if the analysis you give is correct, the situation is so bonkers that they should be given another chance?

And why does it matter so much to you? I assume you are English? Because of the asymmetries involved, this is such a big deal to Scotland compared to England that it is surely their problem rather than yours? What satisfaction do you derive from the thought of them being involuntarily bonded to you?
    It's Phil the British nationalist tonight. Don't worry, he's incapable of being consistent on this for any length of time.
    Not my fault you Scots turned your back on nationalism.
  • Options
    Evening all,

RE:Indyref2

Nobody on the unionist side uttered anything about "once in a generation". But the Yessers used the line repeatedly.

Very proud of the Johnson/Gove stance after watching re-run of #ridge
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

Yes, the new MP in Bosworth being one. A step up from the useless David Tredinick probably.
    Don’t get me started. I grew up there. Utter prat, and directly led to NHS funds being spent on quacks.
  • Options

Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

On the flipside, Dr. Sarah Wollaston can go back to the NHS.....
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

Watching C4 Election night on catch up. Truly dreadful. Desperate for some Tory bad news and very unfunny comedians.

If you really want apoplexy, watch Fridays "The Last Leg"!
  • Options

andypetuk said:

Nobody thinks The Speaker won't be returned to the post do they?
    No. They still have to go through the formalities, though.
  • Options

Labour is not dead yet, merely resting. Not sure yet how long for tbh.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In PR terms Labour will still get around 15% as most likely will the LDs, with the Tories on 25%+ that makes a Unionist majority
    No way! That's 55%, why would they get so much?

2016 the proportions on the Regional List were SCON 22.9, SLAB 19.1 and SLD 5.2

Don't forget that 4.5% of the Regional vote last time went to tiny parties.
  • Options

You have to add the green score to nationalists.

It's very much game on.

I am prepared - just look at my username
  • Options

It depends how much the membership cares to save it, or how many people choose to join and save it.

My fear is that having just joined, my voice will be denied as there will be some kind of cut off date.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Xtrain said:

But I'm enjoying it!
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

It helps that they are the only credible centre left party in scotland. SLab are nowhere and LibDems are still a busted flush
    I have members of our family who are SNP voters but would vote for the union

Indeed Sturgeon admitted as much on the media today

There are many commenting on Scottish matters who to be honest do not understand the complexities of politics north of the border
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193

1) The SNP should get a second referendum - not off the back of this election but off the back of the last Hollyrood election. Powers to call them should be permanently devolved to the various assemblies.

2) It’s smart politics for the PM to refuse it, and allow the SNP to be impotent and gradually have its Gvt record catch up with it; just as it’s embroiled in scandal.

How quickly could a referendum be held? Would it not be better to do it asap, and have the trial of the century during the unofficial campaign?
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

There are many commenting on Scottish matters who to be honest do not understand the complexities of politics north of the border
    The situation isn't really that complex. The Scottish electorate rejects independence at the ballot box, then votes in another Nationalist Government whose primary aim is - you guessed it - another independence vote.

How, pray tell, is the rest of the country meant to react to this? With unbridled joy?
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited December 2019

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

You have members of your family who are thick.

I've heard that as much as 1/3 of SNP voters don't want indepedndance.

The mind really boggles at the idiocy that goes on on the north of the island.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019
    tlg86 said:

How quickly could a referendum be held? Would it not be better to do it asap, and have the trial of the century during the unofficial campaign?
    I presume he wants Brexit to have happened, and the sky to have not fallen in, for the 2021 elections. At that stage I imagine he’ll also have an offer for fishing communities and farmers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Ah, finally had my first real conspiracy theory from Corbynland. Apparently votes for Boris in some places dont make sense and something might have happened with the numbers, somehow to do with Peter Lilley and scottish councils using the services of Idox. They'll vote in person next time as a result .

I had to jump in when that discussion occurred
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Casuistry. Holyrood has backed a further Sindyref.
    So what, Westminster is sovereign and will determine when it can be able to declare a mandate for it
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    kle4 said:

Ah, finally had my first real conspiracy theory from Corbynland. Apparently votes for Boris in some places dont make sense and something might have happened with the numbers, somehow to do with Peter Lilley and scottish councils using the services of Idox. They'll vote in person next time as a result .

:o they are onto us. Do what must be done, @kle4.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Dear god

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/great-divide

"We have had senior military personnel threatening “mutiny” in the event of a Corbyn victory, threats of foreign intervention by the US government, "

"We need a return to whole worker organising, across workplaces and communities, to build an integrated movement, not based simply on a core of politicised activists but on deep roots within the class which can mobilise organised workers, in elections and on the streets, to defend their communities."

Mobilise on the streets to "defend" eh?

Are these "the best of the Labour movement"??
  • Options
    If everyone wants to discuss The West Lothian Question then I wish you all goodnight. I’m not Scottish and, although I would be sorry to see them go, it is their decision to make.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Excuse me that is just wrong and unnecessary

Indeed these members of my family have contributed greatly to the Scots economy and their communities

That intolerance is just ugly
  • Options
    kle4 said:

#penisbest
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It's almost heroic the amount of crap you spout on this subject from such a low knowledge base.

'We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people – or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will.'
    And there is no clear evidence independence has become the preferred option of most Scots even despite Brexit
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

The situation isn't really that complex. The Scottish electorate rejects independence at the ballot box, then votes in another Nationalist Government whose primary aim is - you guessed it - another independence vote.

How, pray tell, is the rest of the country meant to react to this? With unbridled joy?
    I answered this in reply to BIgG

Scots just aren't very canny anymore.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Foxy said:

the UK system is based on a plurality gaining a majority. Even Blair in his mega win only got 43% of the vote. Are you saying all his reforms are illegal and should be reversed ?

That is the system we work under and everyone works with it. If you don't like it vote for PR. But oddly once Labour has got to that point by being in government
    it will suddenly decide PR is a bad idea and FPTP is better as indeed has every UK government before it.
    I accept that is our system and that Brexit will clearly go ahead. None of that alters the fact that a clear majority of people voted for parties supporting people vote or remain. We have to go ahead with Brexit but it is not a very auspicious start for such a major constitutional change that at least half the country are opposed to it even before it happens.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No way! That's 55%, why would they get so much?

2016 the proportions on the Regional List were SCON 22.9, SLAB 19.1 and SLD 5.2

Don't forget that 4.5% of the Regional vote last time went to tiny parties.
    Latest regional list poll is Tories 25%, Labour 14%, LDs 10%, BXP 2% ie 51% combined. SNP are Greens are only 45% combined.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And there is no clear evidence independence has become the preferred option of most Scots even despite Brexit
    Fuckin' hell, an inability to understand basic English, let alone Scottish politics.

'or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will.'
  • Options

Given the Labour nomination rules, she requires the backing of only 21 MPs and Len McCluskey to make it onto the shortlist.

So, unless Unite alight upon and decide to back an even more left-wing candidate, she'll go to the membership vote and she'll win it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fuckin' hell, an inability to understand basic English, let alone Scottish politics.

'or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will.'
    The SNP did not get a majority on that platform in 2016, it had to rely on the Greens to get that majority.

The Tories won a majority on Thursday on a manifesto commitment to block indyref2
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Excuse me that is just wrong and unnecessary

Indeed these members of my family have contributed greatly to the Scots economy and their communities

That intolerance is just ugly
    It's people like them, with their idiocy, that are causing absolute havoc north of the border. It's alright for you; you don't live here.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    OllyT said:

Foxy said:

I accept that is our system and that Brexit will clearly go ahead. None of that alters the fact that a clear majority of people voted for parties supporting people vote or remain. We have to go ahead with Brexit but it is not a very auspicious start for such a major constitutional change that at least half the country are opposed to it even before it happens.
    So what ?

GEs are a choice of a bundled set of policies to run the country. Nobody ever gets everything that they want even the winners. People compromise and vote for a party.

A referendum is a vote on a single matter and the bundling falls apart as its a yes \ no choice.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Can I just clarify my position

If the SNP gain a majority in Holyrood 2021 then a referendum should take place probably in the Autumn of that year
  • Options

Given the Labour nomination rules, she requires the backing of only 21 MPs and Len McCluskey to make it onto the shortlist.

So, unless Unite alight upon and decide to back an even more left-wing candidate, she'll go to the membership vote and she'll win it.
    Don't forget that nearly 40% voted for Owen Smith. Being anointed by the most disastrous party Leader since Ramsey MacDonald may not be a good endorsement!
  • Options

And so momentum continues to control labour and nothing changes
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    OllyT said:

Foxy said:

It isn't reasonable to throw in "Will have a referendum but the party line will be neutral" as on the Remain side.
  • Options

I agree with you on your first point. It should be up to the devolved assemblies whether or not they call a referendum.

I disagree entirely on your second point though. Refusing it is not smart at all. It will simply give more ammunition to the Independence movement so that when the referendum does eventually come - as it will - it is far more likely that Leave will win. It is a stupid and petty move to deny the referendum and Boris should know better.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    In case anyone's interested, I have cashed out my modest bet on the Meaningful Vote passing this year, for a modest profit. I may be wrong, but statements by Michael Gove and Rishi Sunak today mentioned the Bill but not the MV, and I wonder whether there is time to squeeze the MV through before the New Year.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the SNP gain a majority in Holyrood 2021 then a referendum should take place probably in the Autumn of that year
    Gove was quite clear this morning on #ridge

No indyref2 this parliament.

Suck it up nationalist scum
  • Options

It depends how much the membership cares to save it, or how many people choose to join and save it.

My fear is that having just joined, my voice will be denied as there will be some kind of cut off date.
    Much also depends on how Johnson gets on over the next five years. He could be in for three or four terms, but more likely in my view he will disappoint in his first.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Don't forget that nearly 40% voted for Owen Smith. Being anointed by the most disastrous party Leader since Ramsey MacDonald may not be a good endorsement!
    1. 60% didn't
    2. How many of the centre-leftists have since given up and walked away?
  • Options

I agree with you on your first point. It should be up to the devolved assemblies whether or not they call a referendum.

I disagree entirely on your second point though. Refusing it is not smart at all. It will simply give more ammunition to the Independence movement so that when the referendum does eventually come - as it will - it is far more likely that Leave will win. It is a stupid and petty move to deny the referendum and Boris should know better.
    I think it is finely poised and I can see your argument.

But it would be better if the PM just did as we both agree and devolved powers. I don’t understand anyone who wants to have a country stay in the Union against the will or it’s people. What’s the point? I’d like the Scots to choose to stay, but it should be a choice.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it helps more that they are the only credible Scotland only party in Scotland. Rightly or wrongly, a plurality of Scottish people feel alienated from Westminster. Many in England do too, but in Scotland everything is always seen through a Scotland vs. England lense. They want a party that fights hard for their interests within the United Kingdom. The only party that promises to do that also campaigns to leave it. How much overlap there is between the two is questionable and is not static.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Gove actually said that???
  • Options

I think it is finely poised and I can see your argument.

But it would be better if the PM just did as we both agree and devolved powers. I don’t understand anyone who wants to have a country stay in the Union against the will or it’s people. What’s the point? I’d like the Scots to choose to stay, but it should be a choice.
    We chose in 2014.

Do you want a yearly ref on the matter?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Gove actually said that???
    He even gave them the finger, live on air.
This discussion has been closed.