Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Delusions

Comments

• Options
    Byronic said:

Utterly mad pro-indyref policy from SLAB

It's electoral suicide in Scotland and won't be popular in rUK. Brilliant.

I disagree 100%. The SNP won 80% of the seats in Scotland, they have a right to demand a second referendum, and the Scottish people have a right to another vote given they were told that a vote for independence meant leaving the EU whereas it turned out that the opposite was true. The Scots want to stay in the EU, given they are being ejected against their will they have a right to the option of rejoining, which can only happen with independence.
    If the Tories try to block this there will ultimately be blood on the streets. Labour should support the Scottish people's sovereign right to decide their own destiny.
    It also makes sense from Labour's POV. They will never win an election in England as long as the SNP hold most seats in Scotland, the Tories will always play the anti-Scots card against them. With a second referendum either there will be no Scottish MPs left in the House of Commons, or if independence loses again there will be far fewer SNP ones. Either way, Labour will be strengthened.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

I’ll tell you what. If Boris really wants to thank the voters in Blyth Valley. He will fund the extension of the Metro to Blyth through Cramlington. It’s sorely needed. Much more than 1 new ‘vegan food’ factory.

Not his decision; the Metro comes under a joint board of the two separate combined authorities. They have to request funding for the project.
    They’ll request it if they know the funding will come.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Mango said:

Some of us embraced hopelessness as soon as the AV referendum was lost.

Electoral reform. Until it happens we have no democracy, and are reliant solely on the largesse of posh boys.

Was that in the Labour manifesto this time?
    Of course not.

It doesn't suit the Stalinist mob's coup-by-stealth style.

At some point though, one of these centuries, some chap like Clive Lewis* is going to convince his fellow tribalists that they really have to get behind it.

It will eventually destroy the Labour party of course, but it's about bloody time. And then the social democrats can run on a social democratic programme, Momentum can become the political wing of food bank volunteers, and the polytechnic Stalinists can run as the CPGB again.

*It won't be Clive Lewis.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Subliminal messaging on the tv and stupid people absorb that as a reason to vote tory apparently. I'd think they were joking but it was preceded by a comment about not understanding how anyone could vote Boris.

There will be a hard road back for labour if this sort of thing is still being used to comfort themselves in a few weeks.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

I’ll tell you what. If Boris really wants to thank the voters in Blyth Valley. He will fund the extension of the Metro to Blyth through Cramlington. It’s sorely needed. Much more than 1 new ‘vegan food’ factory.

Tbh, this is the kind of stuff I expect Boris to do.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Mango said:

I’m going to be more upset if the moderates lose the coming Labour civil war than I am about the election result. Only then will it all be utterly hopeless.

Electoral reform. Until it happens we have no democracy, and are reliant solely on the largesse of posh boys.

Was that in the Labour manifesto this time?
    Not really. It promised an elected House of Lords and didn't state the electoral system for it. It also promised "The renewal of our Parliament will be subject to
    recommendations made by a UK-wide Constitutional Convention, led by a citizens’ assembly", so that might have led to electoral reform.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Well if he does, I will give him credit where it is due.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Foxy said:

Endillion said:

Jess Phillips is head and shoulders above anyone else proposing to be Labour leader.
    It's a shame for her that the Corbynistas hate her guts.
    Yet that is the precise reason that Labour need her!
    Quite so, if the Corbynistas hate her, she's got sommat!
  • Options

>The Prime Minister has vowed to draw up legislation to guarantee he does not backslide on the promise that will see an extra 3.4 per cent (£20.5bn in real terms) of frontline spending by the end of the parliament.

>Experts believe the additional money will still not meet the entire needs of the NHS, but will lead to a major increase in funding, bringing the NHS England budget to £149bn by 2023/24.

We'll see by the end of the five years how it's going, I will remain cynical until then. But fair enough.

If Boris can neutralise the NHS as an attack line against the Tories, then he might be able to permanently relegate Labour to the status of a regional instead of a national party (which they virtually are already). Take away the NHS, and Labour has almost nothing left in their armoury that can mobilize people on a mass scale. It's brilliant.
    Cameron completely protected NHS funding. And because NHS spending (like all spending) had substantially increased following the 2007 crash, reigning in spending elsewhere while sustaining NHS spending had a weird effect health spending gobbling up more and more of the public spending pie that was frozen and decreasing quite significantly in other areas.

But.. Despite this we still had NHS not safe under tories/privatisation/ charges for services and operations etc by Labour.
    It is not just propaganda.
    Every major A&E misses wait target for first time
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50718869
  • Options
    Mango said:

I’m going to be more upset if the moderates lose the coming Labour civil war than I am about the election result. Only then will it all be utterly hopeless.

PR does not improve democracy. All it does is entrench the power of the parties even further and allow Parliament to ignore the public even more than they do now.
  • Options

>The Prime Minister has vowed to draw up legislation to guarantee he does not backslide on the promise that will see an extra 3.4 per cent (£20.5bn in real terms) of frontline spending by the end of the parliament.

>Experts believe the additional money will still not meet the entire needs of the NHS, but will lead to a major increase in funding, bringing the NHS England budget to £149bn by 2023/24.

We'll see by the end of the five years how it's going, I will remain cynical until then. But fair enough.

If Boris can neutralise the NHS as an attack line against the Tories, then he might be able to permanently relegate Labour to the status of a regional instead of a national party (which they virtually are already). Take away the NHS, and Labour has almost nothing left in their armoury that can mobilize people on a mass scale. It's brilliant.
    Cameron completely protected NHS funding. And because NHS spending (like all spending) had substantially increased following the 2007 crash, reigning in spending elsewhere while sustaining NHS spending had a weird effect health spending gobbling up more and more of the public spending pie that was frozen and decreasing quite significantly in other areas.

But.. Despite this we still had NHS not safe under tories/privatisation/ charges for services and operations etc by Labour.
    And?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

I am happy enough with Phillips, Nandy, Kinnock or Jarvis.

You need to get rid of Momentum first, the whole tot of them, Lansmann and all/
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    edited December 2019

Foxy said:

Endillion said:

Jess Phillips is head and shoulders above anyone else proposing to be Labour leader.
    Is there anyone the Corbynistas don’t hate? Hatred seems to be their raison d’etre.
  • Options

Mango said:

PR does not improve democracy. All it does is entrench the power of the parties even further and allow Parliament to ignore the public even more than they do now.
    Well clearly it doesn’t. New parties with new ideas can emerge much more quickly and effectively under PR than under FPTP. As we have seen. We are just slaves to Labour and the Conservatives under FPTP.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    An interesting article....(I know The Sun but there’s some nuggets in there)

https://apple.news/A91SAHCiHR_yf-lxw9pCQyQ

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Endillion said:

Is there anyone the Corbynistas don’t hate? Hatred seems to be their raison d’etre.
    St. Jeremy, the patron saint of electoral defeat.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Endillion said:

Is there anyone the Corbynistas don’t hate?
    Themselves - angels on earth, the lot of them.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Don't count your sheep yet.

If we have a recession as I think we will, all of this will quickly disappear and we'll back into austerity again.

A lot can change in five years, Labour need to wake up.
    Labour's civil war may still be in full flow in 5 years
    It won't because the party will already have imploded under such circumstances.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Endillion said:

St. Jeremy, the patron saint of electoral defeat.
    Patron saint of important policy argument victories, thank you.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452

And?
    Clearly you can't claim to be the party of the NHS if under your government its ability to meet patient welfare standards is declining year on year.
  • Options

Mr. Hauser, the Scots voted to stay in the UK. That's not a prison. That's a choice.

And now they choose to vote again?
    And the Scots voted to stay in Europe. This decision must also be recognised and respected.
    There was no Scottish EU referendum.

The Scots voted to stay in the UK, the UK chose to leave the EU, ergo the Scots leave the EU.

If the Scots wanted to make their own decision on EU membership they should have left the UK when they had the chance.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The interesting thing about my sojourn into Corbynland is that all the fevered corbynites are aged 65+ in a safe Tory seat - not typical
    corbyn sorts.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

STV: much greater accountability, no party lists, no central patronage.

Reposting the link to an obviously slanted pro-PR article that has a lot of references containing more unbiased evidence. The Lijphart study is particularly convincing:

https://www.fairvote.ca/2018/10/24/evidence/

Verdict: it does improve democracy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I am continuously amazed that people have projected all these wonderful policies onto Johnson's Tory party. If he wanted to do all this great stuff why wasn't it in his manifesto? When he became mayor of London he scrapped a much needed new River crossing in the East of the city and instead wasted millions on his garden bridge vanity project. The Tories crippled the Metro in the 80s by deregulating Tyne and Wear's buses, destroying the integrated public transport system that the Metro was meant to be at the centre of. Joined up thinking on public transport has never been a priority for them.
  • Options

And?
    Clearly you can't claim to be the party of the NHS if under your government its ability to meet patient welfare standards is declining year on year.
    In case you missed it the Labour Party bankrupted the country and bequeathed a mammoth budget deficit.

Easy to fund the NHS if money is no issue, when money is an issue tough choices need to be made. The Tories have chosen to prioritise the NHS with austerity elsewhere, the Labour Party want spending on everything they can think of meaning the NHS would not be a priority.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Mango said:

Well clearly it doesn’t. New parties with new ideas can emerge much more quickly and effectively under PR than under FPTP. As we have seen. We are just slaves to Labour and the Conservatives under FPTP.
    AV isn't PR.

If it had been, Cameron wouldn't have allowed a vote on it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

If Boris achieves only half of what The Times have set out, Labour face a very long time out of power:

In the Queen’s speech on Thursday he will announce he is enshrining in law the government’s commitment to boost NHS spending by £33.9bn by 2023-24 — the first time a government has made a spending commitment legally binding over several years. An extra £78bn is being earmarked to transform transport in the north of England with a blitz of new roads, bridges and buses.

The prime minister will also spend the Christmas break drawing up plans to make “big changes” to other Whitehall departments. Those in the works include:

● Setting up a department for borders and immigration separate from the Home Office to improve security and the operation of the visa system after Brexit

● Merging the Department for International Trade with the business department to create a powerful outfit that can do trade deals with the US, Japan and Australia while transforming the economy in the north of England

● Merging the Foreign Office and the Department for International Development to help co-ordinate Britain’s aid budget with foreign policy goals

● Splitting energy and climate change from the business department again.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/now-for-the-boris-johnson-revolution-pm-to-wield-axe-on-cabinet-0cpdldlk6

My worry, as a fiscally dry Tory, is who the hell pays for all of this. I know there is £6bn per year pencilled in from not cutting corporation tax. But this amounts to something like £44bn per year extra, the rest of that money needs to come from somewhere but we've committed to not raising the main rates of tax. Economic growth will account for about half of that leaving another £19bn unfunded.

We definitely need answers from Javid on where the additional money is coming from, which taxes will rise of how much additional borrowing we will see.

For gods sake, what is it with politicians and creating new departments? All the manifestos were at it
    It’s the same with council cabinet portfolios.

It’s the easiest way to appear active and send messages about your new priorities without actually having to make any progress grappling with the difficult issues themselves. Indeed the re-organisation and all the associated admin and HR processes, with everyone getting new jobs and offices and bosses, slow down the potential for progress significantly.
  • Options

Mr. Hauser, the Scots voted to stay in the UK. That's not a prison. That's a choice.

And the Scots voted to stay in Europe. This decision must also be recognised and respected.

The Scots voted to stay in the UK, the UK chose to leave the EU, ergo the Scots leave the EU.

If the Scots wanted to make their own decision on EU membership they should have left the UK when they had the chance.
    In 2014 they were told that a vote for independence was a vote to leave the EU. It turned out that the opposite was true. So you are simply rewriting history. But go ahead, Scottish freedom is inevitable, as I think will become increasingly obvious after 31 January.
  • Options

Mango said:

AV isn't PR.

Yeah, I know that. I didn’t even bother to vote in the AV ref.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

Mango said:

AV isn't PR.

indeed, AV is just more complex FPTP.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I am continuously amazed that people have projected all these wonderful policies onto Johnson's Tory party. If he wanted to do all this great stuff why wasn't it in his manifesto? When he became mayor of London he scrapped a much needed new River crossing in the East of the city and instead wasted millions on his garden bridge vanity project. The Tories crippled the Metro in the 80s by deregulating Tyne and Wear's buses, destroying the integrated public transport system that the Metro was meant to be at the centre of. Joined up thinking on public transport has never been a priority for them.
    Name every good thing "Boris something" and we'll know he will go for that
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2019
    Rebecca Long Bailey is now sub 4. I backed her at 5 today. My Labour Next Leader book is almost in profit after a disasterous 3 years.
  • Options

Mango said:

And they still have to form coalitions which then allow them to ignore what they promised to the electorate. Moreover if you are linking MPs to the number of votes the party got then the parties have more power to force their MPs to do their bidding. So both my points stand and you are wrong... again.
  • Options

In 2014 they were told that a vote for independence was a vote to leave the EU. It turned out that the opposite was true. So you are simply rewriting history. But go ahead, Scottish freedom is inevitable, as I think will become increasingly obvious after 31 January.
    It's not inevitable, just very likely. Treating it as inevitable is one reason it is not inevitable, since it means things get missed.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited December 2019
    On wednesday Boris will attend his first PMQ v Corbyn and it could be brutal

Then on thursday Corbyn to respond to the QS

Labour need to act tomorrow to depose Corbyn otherwise it will be humiliation on humiliation
  • Options
    Nandy at 8/1 was a good bet
  • Options

Foxy said:

Endillion said:

She will call Johnson 'bab' at PMQs which is good enough for me.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

His biggest weakness is precisely the one we saw in London - he has a weakness for shiny “new” things that he can open and point to and claim credit for, but is supremely disinterested in the hard graft of getting to grips with issues like housing or the existing transport system that make more difference to more people’s lives.

There is a risk of a north covered in new bridges and railway lines and cable cars and helter skelters whilst the majority of people are still condemned to use the same grubby unreliable outdated transport that they do now.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

The problem in A and E is not the front door, it is the backdoor. When there are no beds to admit into the whole system clogs up. Simultaneously around 20% of inpatients are awaiting social care, and we are back where we begin.

The new junior doctors rota is proving a nightmare to manage. It is impossible to cover gaps internally without triggering exception reports. Competent locums are doing very nicely. We have one on eye watering rates, covering a gap which arose when a Greek went home. Ironically he is also Greek, but we poached him from another hospital, and so the cycle continues.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

His biggest weakness is precisely the one we saw in London - he has a weakness for shiny “new” things that he can open and point to and claim credit for, but is supremely disinterested in the hard graft of getting to grips with issues like housing or the existing transport system that make more difference to more people’s lives.

There is a risk of a north covered in new bridges and railway lines and cable cars and helter skelters whilst the majority of people are still condemned to use the same grubby unreliable outdated transport that they do now.
    He has has to delegate...
  • Options

So the EU, the UK PM, UK governing party and UK civil service all advise that to stay in the EU the Scots need to vote to stay in the UK but Scots wanting to stay in the EU should actually have done the opposite and voted to leave the UK?

How on earth were the Scottish voters supposed to know this?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's not inevitable, just very likely. Treating it as inevitable is one reason it is not inevitable, since it means things get missed.
    To be honest it is not even very likely
  • Options

Labour need to act tomorrow to depose Corbyn otherwise it will be humiliation on humiliation

It would be funnier from Boris if he unctuously thanked Corbyn for his service as an MP and Leader of the Opposition and left it hanging like that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

If these things get built at all
  • Options

Don't be a dingbat. Campaigners on both sides claim contradictory things to further their own agenda. Cameron's EU referendum pledge was already announced long before the Scottish Referendum was held. Alex Salmond's SNP government knew this and specifically said this would be a "Consequence of Scotland voting no in the referendum" on Page 60 of their "Scotland's Future" document: https://www2.gov.scot/resource/0043/00439021.pdf

I highlight as follows:
  • Options
    One of the best ways to assist the north is to move vast swaths of government out of London into these areas. I hope Boris commits to relocating thousands of London jobs away from the south
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Don't be a dingbat. Campaigners on both sides claim contradictory things to further their own agenda. Cameron's EU referendum pledge was already announced long before the Scottish Referendum was held. Alex Salmond's SNP government knew this and specifically said this would be a "Consequence of Scotland voting no in the referendum" on Page 60 of their "Scotland's Future" document: https://www2.gov.scot/resource/0043/00439021.pdf

I highlight as follows:
    Ruth Davidson then said the EU referendum would never happen and Yes Scotland shouldn't scare monger about it.
  • Options

One of the best ways to assist the north is to move vast swaths of government out of London into these areas. I hope Boris commits to relocating thousands of London jobs away from the south

Maybe you should rename yourself to ILoveBoris
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

This Jess Phillips? The one with impeccable working class credentials

The youngest of four children, Phillips is the daughter of Stewart Trainor, a teacher, and Jean Trainor (née Mackay), who was deputy chief executive of the NHS Confederation and chair of South Birmingham Mental Health Trust.[4][5][6] They were politically active: "Growing up with my father was like growing up with Jeremy Corbyn" she told Rachel Cooke of The Observer in March 2016.[7] Phillips went to King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls, a local grammar school.[7][8] Her childhood ambition was to become Prime Minister.[7]
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    The thing about Jezza and terrorist sympathizer / not on Britain's side "smear".

If all of this was just stuff from the 1980s you can say you have changed. Alan Johnson used to be a Marxist, Alistair Darling a Communist, but they clearly changed as they grew up and by the time they got to mainstream politics they had moderated their viewed.

But what we saw with the likes of Salisbury, Press TV, yadda yadda yadda was this wasn't isolated to something when he was a young man.
  • Options

I don't think that is too much of a worry about. What happens next is.

Even a gorgeous genius like Boris with his lovely chums like Francois and Bridgen need a competent opposition, not least to take over from them if they fail miserably.
  • Options

I hope Corbyn pulls out a few of the last letters to grandad, we are all going to miss that tactic at PMQS.

• Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900
    edited December 2019

Mango said:

This is clearly not true. Look at Germany, for example. A few decades ago, the CDU/CSU and SPD were the dominant parties - a little like the Conservatives and Labour in the UK. Since then, though, their power has been strongly challenged by a host of smaller parties. They are far from entrenched.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited December 2019

No

I love the people of the north who have been under the yoke of London and the metropolitan elite for far too long

No more - the people have spoken and rediscovered their mojo and in the process delivered the 'coup de grace' on a labour party unfit for government now or anytime soon
  • Options

No

I love the people of the north who have been under the yoke of London and the metropolitan elite for far too long

No more - the people have spoken and rediscovered their mojo and in the process delivered the 'coup de grace' on a labour party unfit for government now or anytime soon
    You do come across brainwashed by him sometimes though - I have to be honest
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

No

They voted for Brexit that hands massive power to London and the metropolitan elite: Boris, and his hedge-fund donors. So I think this is a patronising view of the people of the north.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Well - arguably if the analysis you give is correct, the situation is so bonkers that they should be given another chance?

And why does it matter so much to you? I assume you are English? Because of the asymmetries involved, this is such a big deal to Scotland compared to England that it is surely their problem rather than yours? What satisfaction do you derive from the thought of them being involuntarily bonded to you?
  • Options

No

You do come across brainwashed by him sometimes though - I have to be honest
    Do not be ridiculous.

I bow to nobody and you need to concentrate on how to save labour who are terminally ill and likely only going to arrange palliative care
  • Options
    saddened said:

The youngest of four children, Phillips is the daughter of Stewart Trainor, a teacher, and Jean Trainor (née Mackay), who was deputy chief executive of the NHS Confederation and chair of South Birmingham Mental Health Trust.[4][5][6] They were politically active: "Growing up with my father was like growing up with Jeremy Corbyn" she told Rachel Cooke of The Observer in March 2016.[7] Phillips went to King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls, a local grammar school.[7][8] Her childhood ambition was to become Prime Minister.[7]
    And your point is? Ambition is OK if you are Boris Johnson irrespective of whos careers he ended to get there?

You didn't like Corbyn because he was a 'thickie' (true he was) but you don't like Jess Phillips because she is no stupid and simpering peasant. In my day you had to be clever to get to Camp Hill.
  • Options
    EPG said:

No

They voted for Brexit that hands massive power to London and the metropolitan elite: Boris, and his hedge-fund donors. So I think this is a patronising view of the people of the north.
    I can hardly patronise them as I am a person of the north myself
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It would be funnier from Boris if he unctuously thanked Corbyn for his service as an MP and Leader of the Opposition and left it hanging like that.
    Spot on
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

No

27 of the last 40 years have been under a Tory government so whilst the ‘north’ rightly feels it’s been neglected it’s not entirely the fault of the Labour Party. The fact that you had a labour MP for the last x years and nothing changed is not entirely their fault. We can judge this new so called northern focused Tory party in two years time but the evidence of the previous 27 years of Tory rule showed otherwise. I personally reserve judgement and take the rhetoric as just that only time will tell.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Ash is a literal communist. Hopefully the new leader will throw her out.
    I don't understand how that conversation even came about, Britain was the IRA's enemy.
    Ive just been running through the NI results. Amid all the excitement of Dodds and North Down noone is looking at the SF collapse in Foyle. Any idea why they lost half their votes ?
    I was and I still am, the only reason SF won Foyle in 2017 is because the UUP and the SDLP joined forces / invented a partnership.

Foyle is a die hard republican and nationalist area and therefore dissident republicans are more likely to vote sdlp over SF any day.

Also, soft to centre unionists tend to vote sdlp as they can accept them more than SF.

Colum Eastwood is more popular and interesting than mark durkan as well.

Mark Durkan would be more well known in Belfast.
    Wasn't it also the case that SF got in last time shortly after the death of Martin McGuinness ?

Also with Derry being so close to the border with Donegal, having someone in Westminster to vote against Brexit must have been appealing. With Foyle being overwhelmingly Catholic anyway, no-one has to worry about splitting the vote.
  • Options

EPG said:

No

Good. Then I think you are just mistaken. They did vote for London and its metropolitan elite over Europe and its elite. What was opposed even more strongly was devolution in the north for an elite comprisng local people. For that decision you can thank the 2000s devolution referendum defeated by ... Dominic Cummings!
  • Options

Even a gorgeous genius like Boris with his lovely chums like Francois and Bridgen need a competent opposition, not least to take over from them if they fail miserably.

Corbyn will be left in place to take the fall for the EHRC report after which he can resign they won’t risk anyone else take the fall. There may well be financial implications as well so why not let him stew.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

No

27 of the last 40 years have been under a Tory government so whilst the ‘north’ rightly feels it’s been neglected it’s not entirely the fault of the Labour Party. The fact that you had a labour MP for the last x years and nothing changed is not entirely their fault. We can judge this new so called northern focused Tory party in two years time but the evidence of the previous 27 years of Tory rule showed otherwise. I personally reserve judgement and take the rhetoric as just that only time will tell.
    Actually that is fair comment.

But the conservative party post GE 2019 is nothing like the previous conservative party
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Corbyn will be left in place to take the fall for the EHRC report after which he can resign they won’t risk anyone else take the fall. There may well be financial implications as well so why not let him stew.
    Good point.
  • Options
    The decline and fall of the Office of National Statistics is instructive about what happens when entire civil service departments get moved out of London. To sum up, the talented people can't find jobs for their spouses in smaller cities dominated by low-wage work, so they find jobs elsewhere in the London area.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I highlight as follows:
    Ruth Davidson then said the EU referendum would never happen and Yes Scotland shouldn't scare monger about it.
    So who should Scots believe on the matter? Ruth Davidson, or Alex Salmond? Yes Scotland or the Scottish Government?

If Salmond and the Scottish Government were telling the truth then Scots would have known that a "consequence of Scotland voting no" would be in their own words that "Scotland will be forced to leave the EU against the wishes of the people of Scotland." Were Salmond and the Scottish Government telling the truth at the time?
  • Options
    On the subject of the NHS. I’m due to have my ileostomy removed and ‘reconnected’ on the 27th December so I’ll be in hospital over new year. Fingers crossed it doesn’t get cancelled...
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

No

Good. Then I think you are just mistaken. They did vote for London and its metropolitan elite over Europe and its elite. What was opposed even more strongly was devolution in the north for an elite comprisng local people. For that decision you can thank the 2000s devolution referendum defeated by ... Dominic Cummings!
    But things are a changing.

As a trivial point of interest my paternal family have been traced by my daughter through dna to Bolton in the 1600. It is my maternal family that has the Welsh stock
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981

nichomar said:

No

But the conservative party post GE 2019 is nothing like the previous conservative party
    That’s my fear too. The Conservative Party used to have respect for the British Constitution and the principles of democratic scrutiny.
  • Options

On the subject of the NHS. I’m due to have my ileostomy removed and ‘reconnected’ on the 27th December so I’ll be in hospital over new year. Fingers crossed it doesn’t get cancelled...

Hope everything goes well!
  • Options
    If Johnson has any intention of using his quite magnificent victory to right historic wrongs, rather than grandstanding in Sedgefield he should be on a plane to Tehran to get Mrs Zahari Radcliffe back to the UK for Christmas. If he tried, and still failed to achieve this he would go up enormously in my opinion.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Ash is a literal communist. Hopefully the new leader will throw her out.
    I don't understand how that conversation even came about, Britain was the IRA's enemy.
    Ive just been running through the NI results. Amid all the excitement of Dodds and North Down noone is looking at the SF collapse in Foyle. Any idea why they lost half their votes ?
    I was and I still am, the only reason SF won Foyle in 2017 is because the UUP and the SDLP joined forces / invented a partnership.

Foyle is a die hard republican and nationalist area and therefore dissident republicans are more likely to vote sdlp over SF any day.

Also, soft to centre unionists tend to vote sdlp as they can accept them more than SF.

Colum Eastwood is more popular and interesting than mark durkan as well.

Mark Durkan would be more well known in Belfast.
    Wasn't it also the case that SF got in last time shortly after the death of Martin McGuinness ?

Also with Derry being so close to the border with Donegal, having someone in Westminster to vote against Brexit must have been appealing. With Foyle being overwhelmingly Catholic anyway, no-one has to worry about splitting the vote.
    Yes that was a key factor also.
  • Options

All the very best for your treatment Gallowgate.

Not good to be in hospital over the new year but health always comes first

And enjoy your christmas
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Well - arguably if the analysis you give is correct, the situation is so bonkers that they should be given another chance?

And why does it matter so much to you? I assume you are English? Because of the asymmetries involved, this is such a big deal to Scotland compared to England that it is surely their problem rather than yours? What satisfaction do you derive from the thought of them being involuntarily bonded to you?
    None. I wanted Scotland to go independent, I still do. I think it will be the best thing to occur for both Scotland and England.

I'm also argumentative against bad logic. All this information was rightly out there before the referendum and those claiming otherwise [even if it suits my agenda] are talking garbage.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    saddened said:

I watched a few Youtube clips of her over the last few days. She said in one that she was raised to hate Tories and seemed to act like Somerset was a foreign country.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

None. I wanted Scotland to go independent, I still do. I think it will be the best thing to occur for both Scotland and England.

I'm also argumentative against bad logic. All this information was rightly out there before the referendum and those claiming otherwise [even if it suits my agenda] are talking garbage.
    I do not agree but then you have no family or emotional attachment to Scotland

As I keep reaffirming I have no doubt whatsover the Scots will vote for the union in any referendum
  • Options

saddened said:

And your point is? Ambition is OK if you are Boris Johnson irrespective of whos careers he ended to get there?

You didn't like Corbyn because he was a 'thickie' (true he was) but you don't like Jess Phillips because she is no stupid and simpering peasant. In my day you had to be clever to get to Camp Hill.
    My point is, Phillips is a massive self promoter of her working class roots. Which she obviously doesn't have. It's a massive character flaw.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

nichomar said:

No

We don’t know anything yet about what Johnson conservatives will do, we think we know based on what they said but it’s far to early to make any form of judgement. What they do is own everything from now on and they have an awful lot of work to do like trying to replicate the 70+ FTA which need renegotiating, the small matter of the on going relationship with the EU investing the 350M a week into the NHS, ensuring we are no worse off than if we had stayed in, ensuring UK citizens in the EU are secure and one or two other minor things so let’s wait and see.
  • Options
    EPG said:

The decline and fall of the Office of National Statistics is instructive about what happens when entire civil service departments get moved out of London. To sum up, the talented people can't find jobs for their spouses in smaller cities dominated by low-wage work, so they find jobs elsewhere in the London area.

Sounds like an excellent argument for ensuring ALL civil servants are moved out of London ASAP. Lets make sure the entire civil service knows that the only way their spouses and loved ones in smaller cities will find good work is ensuring the country is built for good work in all cities and not just where they are in London.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Ah OK. And quite right. It just struck me as a bit "gotcha" to hold people to what they were told in the very very small print about something as hypothetical in 2014 as euref happening and going the way it went.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

But when will that report come? Could be ages couldn't it?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

No

We don’t know anything yet about what Johnson conservatives will do, we think we know based on what they said but it’s far to early to make any form of judgement. What they do is own everything from now on and they have an awful lot of work to do like trying to replicate the 70+ FTA which need renegotiating, the small matter of the on going relationship with the EU investing the 350M a week into the NHS, ensuring we are no worse off than if we had stayed in, ensuring UK citizens in the EU are secure and one or two other minor things so let’s wait and see.
    Strange isn't it? The name 'Liam Fox' feels like a vague memory from some distant age.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

No

I think the EU and ex pats subject resolves on voting through the WTA and that is a really important and a landmark moment for me, even though I have no personal interest in the status of these groups
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Bloody hell, I watched some of the C4 election night coverage as it was linked in one my Whatsapp groups. It's fucking terrible. It's time for the government to cut C4 loose and make them survive (or not) as a private entity. No more state guarantee if they can't stick to being impartial. Let them get woke and go broke like so many other companies that shun everything that isn't completely purist leftism.

Have to hand it to BBC and ITV they bloody smashed it with the quality of coverage and guests. Getting Osborne and Balls on together was a really good move by ITV, so was Alan Johnson vs Lansmann, special mention for Campbell vs Lansman on the BBC as well. C4 was basically "Boris is bad, how can we frame all of our coverage to say anyone who voted for him is evil!".
  • Options

I am sure Maureen from Margate has already written 10 letters to Jezza telling him how scared she is of the Tories, that they are going to sell off the NHS, cut her benefits, yadda yadda yadda.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

No

I think the EU and ex pats subject resolves on voting through the WTA and that is a really important and a landmark moment for me, even though I have no personal interest in the status of these groups
    It isn’t it depends on future actions and attitudes regardless of the text, personally I’m not worried but will keep a careful eye on things.
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:

My point is, Phillips is a massive self promoter of her working class roots. Which she obviously doesn't have. It's a massive character flaw.
    I don't know any politician who doesn't promote themselves. I think far from being a fraud, her modest background might be popular after five years of Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

I believe January
  • Options

nichomar said:

No

The Conservative Party is always the Conservative Party. If they now have a load of MPs who now have more day to day contact with the kind of people who the Tories usually shit all over then hopefully they might become slightly less obnoxious, but I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

I believe January
    Are you sure. I thought it was much later but pleased if you are correct

This boil needs lancing
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

No

It isn’t it depends on future actions and attitudes regardless of the text, personally I’m not worried but will keep a careful eye on things.
    I really do think this is one of the easier issues
  • Options

saddened said:

saddened said:

I don't know any politician who doesn't promote themselves. I think far from being a fraud, her modest background might be popular after five years of Johnson.
    It isn't a modest background, that's the point. To listen to her the 4 Yorkshire men where middle class softies compared to her background.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

Bloody hell, I watched some of the C4 election night coverage as it was linked in one my Whatsapp groups. It's fucking terrible. It's time for the government to cut C4 loose and make them survive (or not) as a private entity. No more state guarantee if they can't stick to being impartial. Let them get woke and go broke like so many other companies that shun everything that isn't completely purist leftism.

Have to hand it to BBC and ITV they bloody smashed it with the quality of coverage and guests. Getting Osborne and Balls on together was a really good move by ITV, so was Alan Johnson vs Lansmann, special mention for Campbell vs Lansman on the BBC as well. C4 was basically "Boris is bad, how can we frame all of our coverage to say anyone who voted for him is evil!".

I notice they had Nish Kumar was on, giving the usual rant.

ITV was hands down the best coverage. Osborne, Balls and Johnson all managed to give opinion without resorting to the dull what-about-ery slanging in regards to Tory vs Labour. There was perfectly legitimate criticism delivered in a sensible adult manner.

I would watch a show with Squeaky Osborne and Eddie Spheroids talking about the week in politics.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2019

IshmaelZ said:

I do not agree but then you have no family or emotional attachment to Scotland

As I keep reaffirming I have no doubt whatsover the Scots will vote for the union in any referendum
    Yes I do! My Father In Law is Scottish (and believes in both independence and Brexit). My wife is half-Scottish, half-South African.

However I do think there's a good reason to wait 'a generation'. My Grand Father is 89 (English) and was very upset by the idea of Scottish Independence during the referendum. He as someone who lived through WWII and served in the RAF afterwards found the idea of the country breaking up very upsetting in a way I don't.

In general I am a firm believer that people become more conservative as they get older, but I do think those of my grandad's generation and maybe a bit younger will permanently view the country different to younger people and thus more firmly against Scottish Independence. However I don't know what proportion of the Scottish electorate are in their 80s upwards.
This discussion has been closed.