Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s successor may have only become an MP yesterday

Comments

• Options
    https://youtu.be/4UNytGg-6xk?t=241

Put him in the cabinet
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Have any Labour MPs called for Corbyn to resign yet?
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Banterman said:

Interesting challenge coming up for broadcasters. As Corbyn only has very small pool of mp's he trusted to go on the media, the likes of Owen Jones, Ash Sackar and Rachel Shabi were used as the voice of Labour spokespeople.

Any of them appearing on air again is a laughable concept. Who will they use?

A couple of months ago there was a leak about whistleblowers going to the EHRC with evidence and whom was on Newsnight a few days later? OJ. Labour had almost given up trying to find new talent to speak on camera and you can see why, look at Burgon or Lloyd R-M and his mental victory speech. Andy MDdonald lost his shit on camera repeatedly in the last week of the election.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jason said:

My fantasy cabinet is based on the best talent Labour seem to have, which is a pretty low bar.

Who else to pop in, would like to hear thoughts

Told you. Wes Streeting. He spoke more sense in that interview on Sky News than Starmer has done for the last 4 years. Plus he is not a personality free zone like Starmer. Dan Jarvis is yesterday's man, and he's as boring as Starmer is. Benn, too much baggage - the man who tried to destroy Brexit, same for Kinnock, they're all Remainers. Angie Rayner, come on, at least try and be serious.

Nothing you or I say will make a difference anyway, because the membership will elect a Corbynista, and that person will have a cabinet that includes Burgon, Gardiner, Abbott, Butler, etc, etc, etc.

Labour are fucked CHB.
    For now.... there is always a possibility they can claw their way back.

But what a missed chance for the Lib Dems
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Wes Streeting and Margaret Hodge
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Okay reshuffle:

Keir Starmer
    Lisa Nandy
    Dan Jarvis
    Sarah Champion
    Tan Dhesi
    Wes Streeting
    Ed Miliband
    Margaret Beckett
    Jess Phillips
    Pat McFadden
    Yvette Cooper

you've got Miliband and Beckett in there, the two dorks who let Corbyn in to trash the party, Avoid
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Okay reshuffle:

Keir Starmer
    Lisa Nandy
    Dan Jarvis
    Sarah Champion
    Tan Dhesi
    Wes Streeting
    Ed Miliband
    Margaret Beckett
    Jess Phillips
    Pat McFadden
    Yvette Cooper

I think you need to go and have a lie down for a while CHB.
  • Options

Okay reshuffle:

Keir Starmer
    Lisa Nandy
    Dan Jarvis
    Sarah Champion
    Tan Dhesi
    Wes Streeting
    Ed Miliband
    Margaret Beckett
    Jess Phillips
    Pat McFadden
    Yvette Cooper

I don’t envy the problem here. The election winning Labour vote consists of:

- Northern leavers.
    - Centrist fabians.
    - Remainers.
    - The radical left.

Uniting that lot takes a very good politician.

At this last election I reckon they had 2, some of 3, and 4.

Led by a leaver they lose 3 and some of 2.

Led by a centrist they lose some of 4, and 1.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

dare you risk banana man ?
  • Options
    Jason said:

Okay reshuffle:

Keir Starmer
    Lisa Nandy
    Dan Jarvis
    Sarah Champion
    Tan Dhesi
    Wes Streeting
    Ed Miliband
    Margaret Beckett
    Jess Phillips
    Pat McFadden
    Yvette Cooper

I think you need to go and have a lie down for a while CHB.
    I LOLd
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Ooooo do I get to start laying David Milliband on Betfair again?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nunu2 said:

Have we heard from NickP yet?

Is he still telling us "it's moving back to Labour".
    "tick tock"
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    too busy
  • Options
    Who is NickP?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    The thing about comparing the UK and American politics is this. The U.K is whiter and older than America. Therefore our constituents system is vulnerable to a nationalist more than the American electoral college!

Not saying Boris is one......but it's simply a warning.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Ooooo do I get to start laying David Milliband on Betfair again?
    I believe great progress has been made on exoskeletons since he was last in politics
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    nunu2 said:

The thing about comparing the UK and American politics is this. The U.K is whiter and older than America. Therefore our constituents system is vulnerable to a nationalist more than the American electoral college!

Not saying Boris is one......but it's simply a warning.

Not sure that is right. More visible minorities frighten white people more.
  • Options
    Rory being all sour grapes-y on Sky.
  • Options
    Labour needn’t worry: in its northern heartlands, Brexiters are not the only voices - Polly Toynbee

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/30/labour-brexiters-northern-european-manifesto
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Go Daisy
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    IshmaelZ said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

You can say it is boring but pretty soon Rejoiners will be the plucky anti-establishment rebels.

Or they'll be like Republicans, a passionate yet tiny and ignored rump.

We don't know for sure, but I doubt that most of the public is in the mood for being assailed by activists waxing lyrical about the joys of the European Union, nor will be for many years.
    I think more and more people are going to believe in international solidarity and people being people as the years pass. Sure, baby boomers might see Greeks as profligate wastrels that don't deserve our money, but Millenials will see them as people in a bad economy needing a little support.
    Hath not a baby boomer hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Millennial is? If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh?
    Don't be silly. Boomers don't have internal organs: they are instead filled with a cheese-like solid throughout, having only a tube passing from mouth to anus.

Expert studies from experts have shown that they have no brain: the vocal cords are instead attached directly via a node to Central Office, where they repeat comforting nostrums like "Boris Johnson is a one-nation Conservative" without the bother of wondering if it's actually true or not.

In the latter stages they deteriorate further, requiring constant tending and can only murmur cant phrases like "Well I call it the EUSSR!". Finally they are stuck to the Internet and pretend to be other people, occasionally more than one.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Who is NickP?

Ex Labour MP and current Labour ramper.
  • Options
    at 25 on BF.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    Jarvis, like Burnham, will probably see that there's more likely to be political success for them remaining Mayors than bothering trying to clean up the cesspit. With Boris likely to focus more on devolution they'll get a much higher profile and actually be able to get things done rather than wrestling with trots for the rest of their careers.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited December 2019

Labour needn’t worry: in its northern heartlands, Brexiters are not the only voices - Polly Toynbee

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/30/labour-brexiters-northern-european-manifesto

Some of those quotes are tres amusing:

“Together with three other MPs, Creagh has written a thundering article in the Northern Echo and the Yorkshire Post denouncing this patronising nonsense, denying the southern caricature that “we northern Labour MPs live in constant fear of losing our seats” and “unless we repeat that mantra that leave means leave … we are all heading for the political scrapyard”“

Of the four who wrote that article, only one (Catherine McKinnell) is still an MP.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    The other Mr Rook thinks that Labour will probably pick Long-Bailey for Leader and Burgon for Deputy (although I reckon Lammy might get the #2 gig.) Regardless, he believes it'll be whoever Momentum decide that they prefer. I would imagine that, if Momentum can come to an agreement on a slate to back, they'd have little trouble getting the nominations required and said duo would then be bound to get elected by the mass membership because it's now so extreme.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

On the FPTP vs PR argument, I think there are clearly arguments for both. There are successful countries with PR (like Germany, Israel or Switzerland) and successful ones with FPTP (like the US or Australia). I don't think either is some panacea that brings good governance.

One problem with FPTP is that it can hide growing dissatisfaction with some part of the status quo. Opposition to the EU was growing, but never got the parliamentary representation it needed. And it became all too easy - in the pre-2016 era - for both main parties and the LDs to support the status quo.

I therefore wonder if isam's suggestion of a small PR contingent to add to the FPTP seats mightn't be a good one. So, you'd go with (say) 600 parliamentary seats elected by FPTP, and then you'd add 50 elected by PR. In this way, minority views like Euroscepticism would have gotten into parliament earlier. Now, these fifty "party listers" would have an easy life, with no constituency business, so I'd suggest not giving them an office budget, and maybe only a salary of (say) £25,000/year. But they'd be like regular MPs in other ways.

The Scottish top up system works reasonably well but I would put more emphasis on the Constituency element, ie not a full top up.
    I would go with 600 + 50 (partly because we already have 600 seat boundaries set up, and also because it wouldn't change the mathematics of majorities meaningfully). I'd also use the FPTP elections as the source of the top up, to avoid the situation in Scotland where the SNP encourages its voters to go Green for the list vote. I'd also simply make the 50 proportional, so it wouldn't seek to compensate for some parties getting too few FPTP seats, it would simply be a case of one seat per 2% share gained. (Or more likely 1.91%)
    I wonder whether there is some mechanism by which the PR element could be representative in a different way than merely by party?

It seems to me that we are much more divided by age-related matters, so if, for example, the top-up seats could go proportionately to those age-ranges not otherwise represented, that would help to give a wider perspective within parliament.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

The other Mr Rook thinks that Labour will probably pick Long-Bailey for Leader and Burgon for Deputy (although I reckon Lammy might get the #2 gig.) Regardless, he believes it'll be whoever Momentum decide that they prefer. I would imagine that, if Momentum can come to an agreement on a slate to back, they'd have little trouble getting the nominations required and said duo would then be bound to get elected by the mass membership because it's now so extreme.

I believe that combination has already been floated. To much merriment in No 10.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

I wonder if that happens if a significant proportion of the Labour Parliamentary party will sit as Independent Labour, as a party with an alternative whip? What will they have to lose now? How would the Short funding work if they did that?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

If LAB go with RLB and Burgon it WILL be CON gain Ogmore next time!
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Well, yes. Identity politics may work in the US but GB is far more homogeneous than US[1] and a political stance that deprecates white males has a pretty hard upper bound here.

[1] This is not to say that UK doesn't have racism: it does, but the different histories and ethnic mixes make it different.

• Options
    Ave_it said:

But perhaps not Bootle.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ClippP said:

AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

Do the Lib Dems need to rush to appoint a new leader?
    Let Ed Davey and Baroness Sal Brinton run as interim leaders until after the next local elections and then have a proper leadership contest in advance of the next party conference.
    The Lib Dems aren't going to be the centre of attention for a while, so they have the luxury of time to see how Johnson intends to govern and in what direction Labour decides to run in. It also gives the new MPs a chance to make an impression, both amongst MPs and through media appearances.

That’s a much more sensible suggestion than a leader from outside Parliament. Leaving aside the fact the Party’s constitution would need changing, it would emphasise how marginalised they have become.
    Seems to me the LDs have marginalised themselves. In what world does having real experience of government office come to be a negative, disqualifying factor?
    Before Remain/Revoke/Rejoin pushed everything else out, the LDs USP was PR. PR means coalition government, does it not?
    Are the LDs still keen on PR? They should be, since their vote is much higher than the seats they can gain under FPTP.
    So their rejection of the one Coalition they did join renders them pointless, in my view.
    The real problem with the Coalition was that Clegg was so keen to prove to the world that coalition government could work, that he sacrificed everything to this objective. The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!

The Tories were ruthless and untrustworthy. And so were Labour - even campaigning against the Coalition on policies which had been in their own manifesto.

All is not lost. If I have placed AnneJGP correctly, the Lib Dems were second in this election in her constituency, and she has a good Lib Dem run council.
    "The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!"

Bleat bleat bleat bleat bleat......
  • Options
    Don't see how RLB gets nominated, don't they need a certain number of MPs?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    alex_ said:

Ave_it said:

But perhaps not Bootle.
    Labour actually came surprisingly close to losing a bunch of Welsh Valley seats.

Torfaen, Llanelli Pontypridd, all go tory on another 7% swing
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Aren't there loads of Momentum MPs now?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I wonder if that happens if a significant proportion of the Labour Parliamentary party will sit as Independent Labour, as a party with an alternative whip? What will they have to lose now? How would the Short funding work if they did that?
    Labour Co-operative Party could be the new umbrella.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Are there? Whom?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,243

Didn’t Corbyn change the rules so it was only 10%? I’m sure she can get 22 MPs.

A more serious problem might be they are required to have brain ce...oh, as you were, Corbyn got rid of that one too.
  • Options

Labour MPs have always been sheep, they do what they are told even when they know they shouldnt
  • Options
    I see there’s a return to Jan Darvis thing going on. Check out Johnny Mercer for the necessary corrective.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MaxPB said:

Are there? Whom?
    The word is (in this context) "who."
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

I'm starting to build a fantasy cabinet.

Leader: Keir Starmer
    SC: Stephen Kinnock
    HS: Dan Jarvis
    FS: Hilary Benn
    ES: Yvette Cooper
    Minister: Angela Rayner

Thoughts?

Far too sensible and IMO a vote winner so therefore has zip chance of happening. Labour need to wake up and realize you don’t win elections if you can’t do better in the over 50s age group .

• Options
    Let's work out who these 22 MPs are then
  • Options
    Can you nominate yourself?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

We kept saying stuff like this all through the Corbyn era. Fact is, the ones who couldn't stand the bugger all quit. Then those who weren't planning on retiring or starting new careers anyway went on to lose at this General Election.

The surviving Labour MPs are either true believers, or hangers-on who have made the not unreasonable calculation that they've more chance of keeping their jobs by sticking with Labour than they have if they turn against it.

Caveat: if Labour takes another great leap into madness and the Government turns out not to be rabidly right-wing (and possibly even displays tentative signs of competence,) then I wonder if some Labour MPs in marginal seats might cross the floor? But I really am getting ahead of myself with that idea!
  • Options
    It's been little remarked upon, but Labour ultimately fared rather better than the exit poll had predicted, in fact 12 seats better, compared with the Tories, who did 3 seats worse. I believe this resulted, whisper it quietly, from a handful of disappointing results in the West Midlands, which failed to deliver much for the Blue Team.
    In addition there was the odd isolated stonking good result for Labour, an example being Jon Cruddas' Dagenham & Rainham, he really must be an oustandingly good MP to emerge unscathed yet again.
  • Options

We can point to the EU Elections and council elections as being good indicators of future performance based on this year's election, so if Labour/Lib Dems start to make progress (RIP EU Elections), that's a good sign. But I fear they won't.

'good indicators of future performance'

The Lib Dems had excellent results in both the EU & local elections this year & then went backwards in the GE
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

MRP looks more and more like in 2017 it got lucky

I haven't looked at it in seat by seat terms, but remember MRP #1 was majority 58. MRP #2 was taken at height on photogate, the day before they still had Tory majority I think at 50.
    I didn't post about it at the time but I wondered if a bit of differential non response bias was going on after Boris' photo gaffe.
    Same effect with Biden's polling after Harris' moment in the sun.

Polling immediately after a gaffe is suspect. Well unless the whole campaign is a gaffe as it was for May in 2017.
  • Options

It's been little remarked upon, but Labour ultimately fared rather better than the exit poll had predicted, in fact 12 seats better, compared with the Tories, who did 3 seats worse. I believe this resulted, whisper it quietly, from a handful of disappointing results in the West Midlands, which failed to deliver much for the Blue Team.
    In addition there was the odd isolated stonking good result for Labour, an example being Jon Cruddas' Dagenham & Rainham, he really must be an oustandingly good MP to emerge unscathed yet again.

I think Preston was surprisingly good too.
  • Options

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    That’s one third of the way without any trouble at all.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,685

ClippP said:

AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

Do the Lib Dems need to rush to appoint a new leader?
    Let Ed Davey and Baroness Sal Brinton run as interim leaders until after the next local elections and then have a proper leadership contest in advance of the next party conference.
    The Lib Dems aren't going to be the centre of attention for a while, so they have the luxury of time to see how Johnson intends to govern and in what direction Labour decides to run in. It also gives the new MPs a chance to make an impression, both amongst MPs and through media appearances.

That’s a much more sensible suggestion than a leader from outside Parliament. Leaving aside the fact the Party’s constitution would need changing, it would emphasise how marginalised they have become.
    Seems to me the LDs have marginalised themselves. In what world does having real experience of government office come to be a negative, disqualifying factor?
    Before Remain/Revoke/Rejoin pushed everything else out, the LDs USP was PR. PR means coalition government, does it not?
    Are the LDs still keen on PR? They should be, since their vote is much higher than the seats they can gain under FPTP.
    So their rejection of the one Coalition they did join renders them pointless, in my view.
    The real problem with the Coalition was that Clegg was so keen to prove to the world that coalition government could work, that he sacrificed everything to this objective. The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!

The Tories were ruthless and untrustworthy. And so were Labour - even campaigning against the Coalition on policies which had been in their own manifesto.

All is not lost. If I have placed AnneJGP correctly, the Lib Dems were second in this election in her constituency, and she has a good Lib Dem run council.
    "The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!"

Bleat bleat bleat bleat bleat......
    Says the Tory sheep.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    It's funny how I've heard a couple of references in the media about how the polls got it wrong.

Except they didn't.

The MRP effect.
  • Options

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

We did ok in West Midlands. We never win anything in Birmingham. We gained seats in Wolverhampton and West Bromwich
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I wonder whether there is some mechanism by which the PR element could be representative in a different way than merely by party?

It seems to me that we are much more divided by age-related matters, so if, for example, the top-up seats could go proportionately to those age-ranges not otherwise represented, that would help to give a wider perspective within parliament.

I go back to an idea I floated a while back. You could have these 50 MPs (alternatively, a big slab of the House of Lords) reserved for interest groups. For example, 10 MPs for youth, 10 MPs for pensioners, 10 MPs for the NHS, 10 MPs for the disabled, 10 MPs to represent the interests of those UK residents who get no vote at the general election. No party affiliations, done on maybe a list system. Voted for on a different ballot paper. You could choose whether you wanted to take that ballot paper or not. In a close election, they would make the difference between majority Govt. - or needing to get some of these MPs onboard for your legislation to pass.
  • Options

Just saw Heseltine on Sky. He spoke a lot of sense about what the Tories need to do now in regards to left behind towns.

Heseltine, whilst not winning Liverpool for the Tories (probably an impossible task) did help there.
  • Options

It's funny how I've heard a couple of references in the media about how the polls got it wrong.

Except, they didn't.

The MRP effect.

Media bubble.. they were all reading centrist phone's twitter feed.
  • Options
    1) what happened to the youthquake then?
    2) where's @TheJezziah? Has he/she been banned? (I've not been monitoring this for a while). Seems odd that I haven't seen anything from him/her for a while.
  • Options
    Quick question: Is this any good?
    Better question: Is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6fne0PXIZM
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Is Kinnock a remainer?

Not really. More of a soft brexiteer.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

I go back to an idea I floated a while back. You could have these 50 MPs (alternatively, a big slab of the House of Lords) reserved for interest groups. For example, 10 MPs for youth, 10 MPs for pensioners, 10 MPs for the NHS, 10 MPs for the disabled, 10 MPs to represent the interests of those UK residents who get no vote at the general election. No party affiliations, done on maybe a list system. Voted for on a different ballot paper. You could choose whether you wanted to take that ballot paper or not. In a close election, they would make the difference between majority Govt. - or needing to get some of these MPs onboard for your legislation to pass.
    I hope BoJo has the sense to reform the HoL, I always thought Cameron was an idiot for not grasping the nettle. It's better the Tories reform it while they can than leave it to Corbyn Mark 2 in the future.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

I hope BoJo has the sense to reform the HoL, I always thought Cameron was an idiot for not grasping the nettle. It's better the Tories reform it while they can than leave it to Corbyn Mark 2 in the future.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited December 2019
    For all the talk of what’s happening domestically the fact that the deal will pass in January is a huge relief to both EU nationals in the UK and UK ones in the EU.

I don’t think people understand just how stressful living under a cloud of uncertainty is for these people .

A no deal would have been a disaster and however sad I am that we will definitely be leaving I would have been in despair if we crashed out with no deal .

It’s time to move on now , I don’t regret the election even though Labour got hammered, it was one final chance to save our EU membership .

With that over I think it’s incumbent on all of us to move past the Remain and Leave tags . We can now just go back to bickering over normal politics as we used to before Cameron decided to polarize the country !
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

Well, yes. Identity politics may work in the US but GB is far more homogeneous than US[1] and a political stance that deprecates white males has a pretty hard upper bound here.

[1] This is not to say that UK doesn't have racism: it does, but the different histories and ethnic mixes make it different.

I agree, we do have racism in the UK but it is not in the same way as the US and doesn't have the same history. It's why David Lammy is so sidelined, he tried to apply US style politics to the UK and it just doesn't fly.
  • Options
    Mr. O, Lammy didn't help his reputation when he criticised the Grenfell judge for, amongst other things, being white.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    A longer list is here, although not all of them were elected.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/leftwing-labour-mps-corbyn-selections-unite-momentum_uk_5dcd737be4b0a794d1fc1071
    Bottom line is, a candidate endorsed by Corbyn or Lansman is almost certain to be nominated unless they actually have three heads.
  • Options

The Conservatives picked up six seats in the old county of the West Midlands, and a number of others in the wider region. Labour in the Midlands as a whole is now looking very denuded and moth-eaten. I'm not sure, therefore, what would count as "delivering much"? Were you expecting Selly Oak to go?

As regards Cruddas, I wouldn't describe surviving by 293 votes as being a stonking good result, but then again these things are all relative. At least Labour's net losses in London were zero. They weren't so fortunate elsewhere.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,012

Mr. O, Lammy didn't help his reputation when he criticised the Grenfell judge for, amongst other things, being white.

Your leader banters about piccaninnies and bumboys for a chortle.
  • Options

And claiming the police were supressing the real number of deaths at the Grenfell fire on Politics Live. Andrew Neil was livid.
  • Options

at 25 on BF.
    I owe you £140 if he's next leader I think ?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

We did ok in West Midlands. We never win anything in Birmingham. We gained seats in Wolverhampton and West Bromwich
    The swings across much of the city of Birmingham were way down on the exit poll. Two failures by 100's in Coventry were a choker.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

For all the talk of what’s happening domestically the fact that the deal will pass in January is a huge relief to both EU nationals in the UK and UK ones in the EU.

I don’t think people understand just how stressful living under a cloud of uncertainty is for these people .

A no deal would have been a disaster and however sad I am that we will definitely be leaving I would have been in despair if we crashed out with no deal .

It’s time to move on now , I don’t regret the election even though Labour got hammered, it was one final chance to save our EU membership .

With that over I think it’s incumbent on all of us to move past the Remain and Leave tags . We can now just go back to bickering over normal politics as we used to before Cameron decided to polarize the country !

That's a noble sentiment. However, having seen the rewards that the politics of divisive populism can reap ('metropolitan elites', 'will of the people' etc.) there will be elements of the Right who will want more - a lot more. They've only just started.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

Identity politics worked just exceedingly well in the UK. Millions of people expressing their hate of rootless cosmopolitans, who support the party of the expatriate New York-born part-Turkish millionaire. Lots of people support Boris Johnson because they hate immigrants / "immigration" and like voting for a guy who propagates images of "piccaninnies" and Muslim women dressed as postboxes.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    EPG said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

Identity politics worked just exceedingly well in the UK. Millions of people expressing their hate of rootless cosmopolitans, who support the party of the expatriate New York-born part-Turkish millionaire. Lots of people support Boris Johnson because they hate immigrants / "immigration" and like voting for a guy who propagates images of "piccaninnies" and Muslim women dressed as postboxes.
    That post was so much better (relatively speaking) before that unnecessary edit about piccaninnies etc.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,653

Labour just held onto two seats in Coventry with tiny majorities, and also unexpectedly held Warwick & Leamington.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2019

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,653
    Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

You got Birmingham Northfield for the first time since 1987.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

Surely Abbott would be leader?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

Only be prior arrangement, and there has been nun.
  • Options
    Mr. EPG, I've criticised Boris Johnson on many occasions. I'm quite surprised you've managed to miss all of them.

This election the alternative was even worse, and worse by a significant margin.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

Ave_it is just greedy. For him it's Ladywood or bust.
  • Options

2) where's @TheJezziah? Has he/she been banned? (I've not been monitoring this for a while). Seems odd that I haven't seen anything from him/her for a while.

1. It happened, it's just that it was a youth minor tremor. People always overstate the potential effect of the youth vote: the 18-24 age group is a small slice of the electorate and only really crucial in seats that are both marginal and contain HE campuses. The youth vote has been credited with saving Canterbury and two seats in Coventry that were only just held for Labour, and I'm guessing that it may also have done for the Tory challenge in Bedford and in Warwick & Leamington, but I doubt if it made a decisive difference to Labour anywhere else.

2. Probably still in mourning.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

The swings across much of the city of Birmingham were way down on the exit poll. Two failures by 100's in Coventry were a choker.
    I wonder if the exit poll is potentially particularly vulnerable in University/large student population seats? Because as i understand, the poll works in part by measuring change from responses at the previous election (so is even potentially insulated against voters not telling the truth as long as the level of non-truth telling is consistent with what happened last time). Postal voting also isn't much of a problem, as long as the levels are fairly consistent with the last election.

However student seats will have massive turnover in voters, both because they simply are different people from previously and also because they may note consistently vote in the same place (home/at university). And/or will employ more or less levels of postal voting dependent on when the election is held. And this will present presumably present more variables for the exit poll to deal with.

• Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

I wanted three CON gains in Coventry! And nearly got them!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

You really need to get out of this habit.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

Labour just held onto two seats in Coventry with tiny majorities, and also unexpectedly held Warwick & Leamington.
    Two universities. Although W&L clearly was a sterling effort despite that.
  • Options

1. It happened, it's just that it was a youth minor tremor. People always overstate the potential effect of the youth vote: the 18-24 age group is a small slice of the electorate and only really crucial in seats that are both marginal and contain HE campuses. The youth vote has been credited with saving Canterbury and two seats in Coventry that were only just held for Labour, and I'm guessing that it may also have done for the Tory challenge in Bedford and in Warwick & Leamington, but I doubt if it made a decisive difference to Labour anywhere else.

2. Probably still in mourning.
    Not been around since the password debacle.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

Earlsdon remainia and students in St Michaels cost the Tories Cov South.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

You wanted three, isn't that all of them? Insatiable. :o
  • Options

Mr. EPG, I've criticised Boris Johnson on many occasions. I'm quite surprised you've managed to miss all of them.

This election the alternative was even worse, and worse by a significant margin.

It was yes.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
    Are there two Hodge's? Not Margaret, surely?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
    You've both missed two of the most obvious, Gardiner & McDonald.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

You really need to get out of this habit.
    I haven’t taken a vow of obedience, so I won’t.
  • Options

It seems to be just a series of one-line talking points against anybody not on the Conservative side. Fine for the last nine years, but they will hold all the power for the next five, so it seems foolish to focus on the errors of those with no power.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
    Are there two Hodge's? Not Margaret, surely?
    Hodge was of course the person who effectively got Corbyn his seat in Islington in ‘83 because he was ideologically sound.

I wonder if she now regrets this...
  • Options
    Jason said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
    You've both missed two of the most obvious, Gardiner & McDonald.
    Sarah Owens and Laura Hopkin.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

EPG said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

That post was so much better (relatively speaking) before that unnecessary edit about piccaninnies etc.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but your prime minister does whip up disdain of the weak to empower the strong, so if you are going to criticise criticism of it, then own it. Tell us how funny is is to banter about "bumboys" or how Muslim women looking like postboxes is accurate and necessary. And thanks to a content-free campaign, you own this image for the next five years!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

You wanted three, isn't that all of them? Insatiable. :o
    Was the swing in the west Midlands lower than the other Leave regions? Because that was what the polls were showing before the elections.
This discussion has been closed.