Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s successor may have only become an MP yesterday

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn's assessment of the election result:

"We won the argument, but I regret we didn’t convert that into a majority for change
    Jeremy Corbyn"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/we-won-the-argument-but-i-regret-we-didnt-convert-that-into-a-majority-for-change

I'm disappointed Labour didn't drop below 200 seats, as per the exit poll.

I really wanted to taste that.
    That's a rather unpleasant remark. I don't think grinding down your 'enemy' is what this country needs right now. So go and vent your hatred on something else please.

And, besides, it meant I won plenty of money :smiley:

(Looked very dicey with the exit poll so I was rather relieved that Labour crept over the 200)
    I agree with you. At the same time I remember when the Tories were reduced to 165 seats in 1997 and 166 in 2001 a lot of Labour supporters were crowing about it for a long time.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

I worry about us centrists. The LibDems played a good hand incredibly poorly from c. 6 months ago. We made so many mistakes.

Labour are about to go into a internecine war. I suspect, but can't be sure, that the centre ground will win.

However, I'm not at ALL sure that it's correct for the Blairite contingent to be blaming this all on Jeremy Corbyn. It could be argued that a significantly large reason for their defeat is that the party wasn't sufficiently Leave. By dithering around and embracing Remain they alienated the working class northern vote. And they're the ones who lost them the election.

When historians look back on this period they will see with crystal clear clarity that Jeremy Corbyn became and stayed leader just long enough to both cause and guarantee Brexit.
    What I find really extraordinary is that on September 25th they would almost certainly have succeeded in a VONC with an installation of an alternative PM.
    Instead they bickered. And lost.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"We won the argument, but I regret we didn’t convert that into a majority for change
    Jeremy Corbyn"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/we-won-the-argument-but-i-regret-we-didnt-convert-that-into-a-majority-for-change

That's a rather unpleasant remark. I don't think grinding down your 'enemy' is what this country needs right now. So go and vent your hatred on something else please.

(Looked very dicey with the exit poll so I was rather relieved that Labour crept over the 200)
    It's not unpleasant. Nor is it hatred.

It would have given Labour a taste of what the Tories felt in 1997 and 2001, or even 2005, when we were at a similar level, and the psychological blow would have been helpful and cathartic.

You'd have had to draw the same comparisons rather than reference back to 1935 which no-one remembers.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,617

Gabs3 said:

Interesting someone above has mentioned the Northern Ireland bridge. It's something that isn't going away - here's the DUP bringing it up just now: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/14/build-bridge-scotland-bolster-union-dup-urges-boris-johnson/amp/

I think it's a great idea. Great for the Borders, which is a much overlooked and beautiful part of Scotland, and great for Northern Ireland.

It's a terrible idea. The Irish Sea is fall of unexploded WW2 bombs.
    That's PR fluff. Clearly you'd get the all clear on bombs before work started.

How much did Boris give himself as his infrastructure slush fund in the manifesto? Was it 80bn or am I making that up? The bridge would cost 15bn.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/15/boris-johnson-bonkers-plan-for-15bn-pound-bridge-derided-by-engineers

I have more sources should you not like these ones
    I can't see the bombs being a problem as much as the Irish sea being an incredibly deep trench.
    It would also be the longest bridge in the world
    No it wouldn't.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

I agree with you. At the same time I remember when the Tories were reduced to 165 seats in 1997 and 166 in 2001 a lot of Labour supporters were crowing about it for a long time.
    True!

I'm out of the country but what has been the response to Nicola Sturgeon's reaction when Jo Swinson lost her seat?
  • Options
    I hope to God the PLP nominate some actual decent candidates and keep people like RLB and Burgon off the list - because as much as I hate to say it, the membership clearly are not capable of choosing a winner.
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

The chimera of Brexit will lead to a lot of disappointment.

The centre ground must be ready no later than 12 months from now to present an alternative agenda.

The new Labour leader should accept Brexit but commit to Rejoin ASAP.
    How on earth can that work?

I agree with Heseltine. I think Labour need to be a Leave party and move on with how best to make it work.
    They don't need to be a Leave party, but a we have left, so now what party.
  • Options
    Mango good points. Agreed!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Interesting someone above has mentioned the Northern Ireland bridge. It's something that isn't going away - here's the DUP bringing it up just now: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/14/build-bridge-scotland-bolster-union-dup-urges-boris-johnson/amp/

I think it's a great idea. Great for the Borders, which is a much overlooked and beautiful part of Scotland, and great for Northern Ireland.

Any idea how much that might cost, what sort of toll could be charged?
    Quite a lot of detail in this Wiki article. Costs in the region of £20 billion, if we apply the rule of "and you probably need to double the initial estimate when someone's trying to stoke up interest" then it's still not completely infeasible. Certainly the engineering is possible (will mean spending a lot of money cleaning up WW2 munitions!). May not make actual economic sense, but that's a different issue. The symbolism is important here.

Interestingly it's something that the DUP and Sturgeon are in agreement on! And I do wonder if Boris is tempted.
    Bread and circuses?
  • Options

How much did Boris give himself as his infrastructure slush fund in the manifesto? Was it 80bn or am I making that up? The bridge would cost 15bn.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/15/boris-johnson-bonkers-plan-for-15bn-pound-bridge-derided-by-engineers

Maybe you should read more than the headline. The only person 'deriding' anything was one engineer saying it was 'crazy' to cost something that hadn't yet been designed, and said 'costs always go up'. No shit Sherlock. Nothing whatever about unexploded ordinance. As I said, PR fluff.
    It would literally be the longest bridge in the world, the costs would spiral and I suspect it would be deemed unfeasible. But thanks for your condescending tone.

"We've had enough of experts" indeed
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

There's a MILLION TONNES of bombs in the Beaufort Dyke, and we know this because we dumped them there. How are you getting the all clear on that lot?
  • Options

I worry about us centrists. The LibDems played a good hand incredibly poorly from c. 6 months ago. We made so many mistakes.

Labour are about to go into a internecine war. I suspect, but can't be sure, that the centre ground will win.

However, I'm not at ALL sure that it's correct for the Blairite contingent to be blaming this all on Jeremy Corbyn. It could be argued that a significantly large reason for their defeat is that the party wasn't sufficiently Leave. By dithering around and embracing Remain they alienated the working class northern vote. And they're the ones who lost them the election.

You're a centrist?

Could have fooled me.

Don't you mean you just wish the centre of public opinion is where you're at?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2019

It's a mistake to expect defeated Labour members and activists to come to terms with it immediately.

They need to work through the seven stages of grief first, which could take weeks or months. If they don't they will pick a leader that accords with whatever stage of grief they've reached at the time.

Interesting point - but if Corbyn hangs around longer, is that going to be "productive reflection time" or is it going to be "scheming, plotting and organising time"?

We were discussing rail earlier. Someone wondered what date you reckoned Crossrail might be up and running by. I wondered what the prospects were for the northern end of HS2 - if Boris is going to go Plus-Quam-George-Osborne with Northern Powerhouse Blue Wall infrastructure spending, is there any realistic way he can (a) build HS2 from north-to-south in parallel with south-to-north rather than the northern end not getting done for decades, and/or (b) build the HS3 Liverpool to Hull in parallel with HS2 rather than afterwards? (Believe this is far from shovel-ready but could work be started before the next election, perhaps?) I wondered what the practical limitations were eg do we simply not have the railway building capacity to take on so much work at once, are the plans insufficiently advanced etc? Wondered if you might be able to clue us up a bit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

Maybe you should read more than the headline. The only person 'deriding' anything was one engineer saying it was 'crazy' to cost something that hadn't yet been designed, and said 'costs always go up'. No shit Sherlock. Nothing whatever about unexploded ordinance. As I said, PR fluff.
    It would literally be the longest bridge in the world, the costs would spiral and I suspect it would be deemed unfeasible. But thanks for your condescending tone.

Someone else has linked the wiki page for a far longer bridge....
  • Options

It's a mistake to expect defeated Labour members and activists to come to terms with it immediately.

They need to work through the seven stages of grief first, which could take weeks or months. If they don't they will pick a leader that accords with whatever stage of grief they've reached at the time.

Interesting point - but if Corbyn hangs around longer, is that going to be "productive reflection time" or is it going to be "scheming, plotting and organising time"?

We were discussing rail earlier. Someone wondered what date you reckoned Crossrail might be up and running by. I wondered what the prospects were for the northern end of HS2 - if Boris is going to go Plus-Quam-George-Osborne with Northern Powerhouse Blue Wall infrastructure spending, is there any realistic way he can (a) build HS2 from north-to-south in parallel with south-to-north rather than the northern end not getting done for decades, and/or (b) build the HS3 Liverpool to Hull in parallel with HS2 rather than afterwards? (Believe this is far from shovel-ready but could work be started before the next election, perhaps?) I wondered what the practical limitations were eg do we simply not have the railway building capacity to take on so much work at once, are the plans insufficiently advanced etc? Wondered if you might be able to clue us up a bit.
    A lot gets caught up in protest and NIMBYISM
  • Options

You're a centrist?

Could have fooled me.

At some point your bitterness will hopefully evaporate and you will turn your energy to rebuilding this country and helping to bring people together. It's going to be needed because Brexit is going to be a (very) tough project to deliver successfully. That's where your focus should now be.

Yes I am. I just have a few ideas which might appear 'radical' like the public ownership of railways. Something which the majority of us agree with.

There's plenty about the Corbyn agenda that was bonkers.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedgefield_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

(You'll have to type the link in manually)

Sedgefield for instance.

Labour vote in 2017 was 22,202, 2019 was 15096. Seems conceivable some of those 3518 votes came from Labour (1763 voted UKIP in 2017 so that might be the other half).

But Labour lost 7106 votes, so 7107 - 3518 = 3589, which just about what the Tory vote went up by.

So I think it's fair to say that seat was lost due to a combination of Corbyn and Brexit. Both of these issues need resolving and fast. Phil Wilson said it was down to Corbyn on the doorstep.

It is going to take years. Momentum has to be neutralised and that is not on the horizon
    You seem to be forgetting that governments tend to lose elections rather than oppositions winning them. Labour were only 2% behind the Tories 2 years ago even with Corbyn as leader. I am detecting a great deal of hubris behind some of the Tory posters since Thursday and we all know what usually follows.

It is entirely possible that Labour choose an electable leader and Brexit/Johnson don't deliver on their promises over the next five years. In those circumstances I could easily see Labour getting their vote up into the low 40s. Things could look very different indeed come the next GE.
    I presume you've bet the house on that then. Good odds I presume.
    I think it's well worth a shot. As I say Labour polled 40% under Corbyn 2 years ago. By the next GE the Tories will have been in power 14 years, Corbyn's replacement is unlikely to have the same baggage and many of the seats the Tories gained on Thursday could easily switch back if Brexit hasn't delivered the goods for them.

I didn't vote Labour by the way but disastrous as the result was for them they still polled over 10 million votes to the Tories 13m.

The electorate is fickle and volatile. You clearly can't see anything going right for Labour or anything going wrong for Johnson over the coming years. I can.
    I don't bet on 5 year horizons and I have no clear idea of where we will be next week. I just thought you had expressed your vision so forcibly that perhaps you had a crystal ball and had put your money where your mouth is. Apologies if I misread you.
  • Options

I'm not sure that will stop Johnson. He wanted the estuary airport don't forget.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    A random O/T thought. How much has the decline in the local press contributed to what we see today, with newspapers/media dominated by 'journalists' who spend most of their time spouting opinions which have very little grounding in real evidence or reality? And particularly has contributed to an almost total failure to understand and analyse the real thoughts of the electorate as a whole.

Where once the background of a huge of journalists was grounded in knowledge of local communities, something people took with them when they moved to the national press (or in many cases never moved) now journalists are almost all entering the media straight out of university and where ability to "make an argument" is recognised, but not to actually make an argument that fits the reality. And where they think nothing of saying one thing in November, and saying completely the opposite in December. Usually without any need to admit that this means that they may have been wrong.
  • Options
    As I predicted. Boris will keep the current cabinet just long enough to pass the WA, and keep full Tory unity, and then purge the underperformers:

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1205978208484700161?s=20
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Boris Bridge is far more technically challenging mind you, and I Am Not An Expert but could well be "largest bridge of type X" for quite a painfully wide range of values of "X".
  • Options
    CHB - didn't they mock that people like us would be gone from this site by now? :smile:
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

When historians look back on this period they will see with crystal clear clarity that Jeremy Corbyn became and stayed leader just long enough to both cause and guarantee Brexit.
    What I find really extraordinary is that on September 25th they would almost certainly have succeeded in a VONC with an installation of an alternative PM.
    With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if Swinson regrets not giving in on her "never Corbyn" red line?

I would hope not. And good for her if so.
  • Options

You're a centrist?

Could have fooled me.

At some point your bitterness will hopefully evaporate and you will turn your energy to rebuilding this country and helping to bring people together. It's going to be needed because Brexit is going to be a (very) tough project to deliver successfully. That's where your focus should now be.

Yes I am. I just have a few ideas which might appear 'radical' like the public ownership of railways. Something which the majority of us agree with.

No bitterness at all; you're reflecting your own feelings onto me.

Your posts on here are far from centrist, and at the same time are highly emotional: your responses dependent upon whether people agree with you or not.

You'd do well to reflect on that.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Gabs3 said:

The centre ground must be ready no later than 12 months from now to present an alternative agenda.

I agree with Heseltine. I think Labour need to be a Leave party and move on with how best to make it work.
    How can you be a progressive party if you don't care about international unity or the poor in other countries?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if Swinson regrets not giving in on her "never Corbyn" red line?

I would hope not. And good for her if so.
    Yep. Plague on both their houses. Corbyn needed to swallow his, and Momentum's, fanatical zeal.

If they had installed Ken Clarke the country would look very different right now.

And I'd have £1300 in the bank :smiley:
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

How can you be a progressive party if you don't care about international unity or the poor in other countries?
    So the way to win back the Northern working class is to tell them that some of their taxes are going to help the poor in other countries, rather than helping improve their lot back home?

Good luck. :p
  • Options

Swinson got Brexit done
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    Which cabinet members for the chop ?
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

That I agree with but I do think that's it for Britain in the EU. We're about to come out and trying to campaign to rejoin would be a sad, sad, sight. We need to move on and make Brexit Britain work.

(The fact that I think we're going to end up impoverished doesn't mean we shouldn't all try and make it work)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

I'm out of the country but what has been the response to Nicola Sturgeon's reaction when Jo Swinson lost her seat?
    They keep showing it on tv - definitely the election moment - I don t think politicos give a shit, can t speak for the proles

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056
    alex_ said:

A random O/T thought. How much has the decline in the local press contributed to what we see today, with newspapers/media dominated by 'journalists' who spend most of their time spouting opinions which have very little grounding in real evidence or reality? And particularly has contributed to an almost total failure to understand and analyse the real thoughts of the electorate as a whole.

Where once the background of a huge of journalists was grounded in knowledge of local communities, something people took with them when they moved to the national press (or in many cases never moved) now journalists are almost all entering the media straight out of university and where ability to "make an argument" is recognised, but not to actually make an argument that fits the reality. And where they think nothing of saying one thing in November, and saying completely the opposite in December. Usually without any need to admit that this means that they may have been wrong.

The good thing is that local papers still exist in most of the country. In the United States they are apparently disappearing altogether from a lot of places, even towns with pretty large populations.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    IshmaelZ said:

There's a MILLION TONNES of bombs in the Beaufort Dyke, and we know this because we dumped them there. How are you getting the all clear on that lot?
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
  • Options

You're a centrist?

Could have fooled me.

Your posts on here are far from centrist, and at the same time are highly emotional: your responses dependent upon whether people agree with you or not.

Mansplaining
  • Options

The best thing would be for Corbyn to stand down for an interim leader over Christmas, who then runs a long campaign. Failing that, he can't stay longer than about 12 weeks. Labour activists need to come back in the NY and think fast.

On your second question, building HS2 from the north is a non-starter. The capacity constraints are into London, so it would just be a white elephant: the trains couldn't decant anywhere.
  • Options

On the contrary, I am all for engineering experts when it comes to engineering projects, and since this project has already been examined and costed more than once over a period of decades, it is clear that engineering experts more experienced than you, me, or @Ishmael_Z, do not consider the WW2 bombs to be a sufficient blocker to make this a no go.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
    One carefully aimed shot from a destroyer? ;)
  • Options

I'm not sure that will stop Johnson. He wanted the estuary airport don't forget.
    It will definitely not stop him if he does a quick Google and finds it's not true.
  • Options

You're a centrist?

Could have fooled me.

Mansplaining
    Well, that told him.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

They keep showing it on tv - definitely the election moment - I don t think politicos give a shit, can t speak for the proles

So no one thought it was inappropriate? I have to confess (look away now Scots) that I've never quite got the visceral hatred between SNP and SLD?
  • Options

CHB - didn't they mock that people like us would be gone from this site by now? :smile:

They did. But I think you and I have had similar realisations in the last few days.

I genuinely think I'm a pragmatist, what underlines me is getting the Conservative Party out - and I think therefore you can see where I come from with my views.

I genuinely thought Labour could do that with Corbyn and his policies - but I was wrong. Some of them aren't bad in isolation - but it's caught up in the anti-business, anti-media, anti-aspiration, really anti-Britain sphere that makes him so toxic. I am embarrassed I could not see it.
  • Options

Delighted you are both still around, disappointed CHB has yet to commemorate his GE punditry by changing his name to IncorrectHorseBattery.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

The good thing is that local papers still exist in most of the country. In the United States they are apparently disappearing altogether from a lot of places, even towns with pretty large populations.
    They exist but they don't contain much journalism. From my reading a lot of their content comes direct from local council (or sometimes opposition) press releases.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

RobD said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Boris Bridge is far more technically challenging mind you, and I Am Not An Expert but could well be "largest bridge of type X" for quite a painfully wide range of values of "X".
    I doubt that bridge will be seriously considered, let alone built. Why invest money in places that offer you few or no votes, and which might sod off in a few years' time?

The cash would, from the point of view of political expediency, best be lavished on England and Wales. Now, a tidal power barrage across the Bristol Channel, with a road running along the top to join Glamorgan and Somerset - that would be a project... 😁
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Delighted you are both still around, disappointed CHB has yet to commemorate his GE punditry by changing his name to IncorrectHorseBattery.
    I tried - but I can't change it!
  • Options
    Totally agree with you CHB. Let's stick around.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Pulpstar said:

Which cabinet members for the chop ?

Stephen Barclay would seem to be surplus to requirements, as of very soon from now.

And it's only a matter of time before Priti Patel does something unconscionably stupid. Goldsmith is obviously dead in the water already.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

So no one thought it was inappropriate? I have to confess (look away now Scots) that I've never quite got the visceral hatred between SNP and SLD?
    She was made a bit uncomfortable about it and had to apologise/claim it was celebrating her 'friend' being elected, not Swinson being defeated.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

It separatist versus unionist - and us Scots have been well used to it since 2012
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Local press is part of this disconnection with the "real world", but a related issue is the way 24-hour news has generated an apparently insatiable demand for "commentators" and the recent wave of talking heads has been particularly poor. The success of the Corbyn Project within the Labour party rendered a lot of the previous "go-to" Labour-related commentators pretty useless, as their personal ties or experience wonking for New Labour/EdM left them out of tune and largely devoid of insight on the inner workings of the new machine. Their replacements were essentially activists rather than journalists - that's the pool you have to fish to get people who've hung out and cultivated connections with the far-left. The flip side of this is gobby offence-merchants on the Right who make their living spouting controversial views. Need something to make the news channels more "entertaining"/provocative and grab viewing share I guess. @MediaGuido points out the left-wing issue but not the right-wing one!

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1205805160016105473
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Good news LAB losers taking it well. Next LAB government 2050 or next time Watford win two premier league games in a row!

In the year 2525 etc 😊😊
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464

Were're currently struggling with high speed rail, something for which the technology exists and examples can be seen in across the world. But no Boris will fix everything.

You cannot slogan your way out of building the most technologically challenging bridge in the world, in a fucking shipping lane over a giant munitions dump. Run all the Facebook campaigns you want. Plaster it over the Sun and the Mail, it changes nothing. Look at the expected cost over runs of Crossrail, HS2 and the latest super-subsidised nuclear power stations and then honestly say you think Boris, the man of 'the airport on the Thames' can feasibly build a bridge across the Irish sea.

We all know every time Johnson needed a little publicity he'd whip out one of these spaff covered monstrosities and then ignore the backlash like the mother of
    his last illegitimate child. For the cost of the fucking thing you could run a free ferry service for eternity.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

She was made a bit uncomfortable about it and had to apologise/claim it was celebrating her 'friend' being elected, not Swinson being defeated.
    That's good - it was quite unbecoming for a party leader!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

:smiley:

Thanks.

It was evidently celebration at Jo's decapitation.

I guess sometime that's going to come back and bite her but who knows.

Right off for some breakfast. The sun is up.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

Gabs3 said:

And that wins back Northern seats how?
    You seem to be assuming that WWC leavers will be as happy with Brexit once it has happened as they are now. They could be but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Brexit does b*gger all for them and they come to believe that they were conned.
  • Options

RobD said:

Gabs3 said:

I can't see the bombs being a problem as much as the Irish sea being an incredibly deep trench.
    It would also be the longest bridge in the world
    Are we not allowed to think big any more?
    Hangzhou Bay Bridge is 35.673 km (22 miles). Believe this is longer than the route under discussion. An alternative Mull of Kintyre to County Antrim route is even shorter (19 km / 12 miles) but doesn't seem to generate as much interest.
    You could always build two more bridges East and West of Arran to reduce the journey time.
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

That I agree with but I do think that's it for Britain in the EU. We're about to come out and trying to campaign to rejoin would be a sad, sad, sight. We need to move on and make Brexit Britain work.

(The fact that I think we're going to end up impoverished doesn't mean we shouldn't all try and make it work)
    You certainly sound like you're up for it.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I tried - but I can't change it!
    Strong and Staple :lol:
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    rcs1000 said:

On the FPTP vs PR argument, I think there are clearly arguments for both. There are successful countries with PR (like Germany, Israel or Switzerland) and successful ones with FPTP (like the US or Australia). I don't think either is some panacea that brings good governance.

Australia uses AV for the lower house and STV for the upper house. And has proper federalisation. It is way more democratic than the UK.

Link to a biased pro-PR article, but with useful references of studies examining the large body of evidence for the superiority of consensual systems over winner-take-all systems:

https://www.fairvote.ca/2018/10/24/evidence/
  • Options
    edited December 2019

alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

Thanks.

One day the SNP won't be dominant in Scotland. It just might take independence for it to happen!

Wasn't she planning on quitting/retiring as leader early next year, or have I just totally made that up?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    edited December 2019

‘Weeks or months’? These are people who make up a large percentage of, and have the same entitled world view as, those who haven’t reached stage 2 of grief over 2016s referendum
  • Options

On your second question, building HS2 from the north is a non-starter. The capacity constraints are into London, so it would just be a white elephant: the trains couldn't decant anywhere.

Makes sense. Could be a long wait for them then.

Any idea of whether HS3 is only viable once HS2 is done and dusted?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Gabs3 said:

You seem to be assuming that WWC leavers will be as happy with Brexit once it has happened as they are now. They could be but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Brexit does b*gger all for them and they come to believe that they were conned.
    And so the prospect of handing over money to the EU each week is supposed to be attractive?
  • Options
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

That's good - it was quite unbecoming for a party leader!
    Lol sturgeon. When Boris tells her to fuck off next week he can do the fists in the air!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The Borders? How the fuck does it help the Borders?

It'd be a link from Belfast to Glasgow and Carlisle.

It'll do fuck all for the Borders.
  • Options

RobD said:

I doubt that bridge will be seriously considered, let alone built. Why invest money in places that offer you few or no votes, and which might sod off in a few years' time?

The cash would, from the point of view of political expediency, best be lavished on England and Wales. Now, a tidal power barrage across the Bristol Channel, with a road running along the top to join Glamorgan and Somerset - that would be a project... 😁
    I'm all for tidal barrages too. But it's worth investing so they don't sod off.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Good news LAB losers taking it well. Next LAB government 2050 or next time Watford win two premier league games in a row!

In the year 2525 etc 😊😊

The trouble is it's all very fine and dandy saying LOL Labour are going to double down and appoint an even loonier version of Corbyn, that's them unelectable for the foreseeable, but the reality is we are all going to be reduced to SeanT levels of gibbering terror whenever GE time come around thinking Fuck, how confident are we about unelectable?
  • Options

RobD said:

Why?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

The SLD have been wining like fuck about it no one else gives a shit.
  • Options
    Let's scrap HS2 now. Let's use the money to improve existing rail network including new North link and reverse rail closures which LAB made 1964-1970.

Including Dumfries- Stranraer link closed by LAB 1965
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The Borders? How the fuck does it help the Borders?

It'd be a link from Belfast to Glasgow and Carlisle.

It'll do fuck all for the Borders.
    Yes, someone already pointed out my mistake - it was Dumfries and Galloway not the Borders. You'll have to forgive me, I'm very unfamiliar with the location. I've driven to England and back a couple of times but never stopped.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,890
    Ave_it said:

In the year 2525 etc 😊😊

Big Nige will see you right, he would never need to pay for a drink if he were to visit Leicester. A real legend. Deeney is past it now though.

Liverpool are a tough place to go.
  • Options

Were're currently struggling with high speed rail, something for which the technology exists and examples can be seen in across the world. But no Boris will fix everything.

You cannot slogan your way out of building the most technologically challenging bridge in the world, in a fucking shipping lane over a giant munitions dump. Run all the Facebook campaigns you want. Plaster it over the Sun and the Mail, it changes nothing. Look at the expected cost over runs of Crossrail, HS2 and the latest super-subsidised nuclear power stations and then honestly say you think Boris, the man of 'the airport on the Thames' can feasibly build a bridge across the Irish sea.

We all know every time Johnson needed a little publicity he'd whip out one of these spaff covered monstrosities and then ignore the backlash like the mother of
    his last illegitimate child. For the cost of the fucking thing you could run a free ferry service for eternity.
    In 2017 someone here suggested May sweeten the deal with the DUP by offering them "a laser big enough to write Fuck the Pope on the moon." Might be a cheaper alternative to the bridge.
  • Options
    isam said:

‘Weeks or months’? These are people who make up a large percentage of, and have the same entitled world view as, those who haven’t reached stage 2 of grief over 2016s referendum
    I think i saw the new LibDem interim leader (Baroness someone) complaining that the LibDem "revoke" policy was unfairly abridged, and pointing out that the LibDems had been consistent advocates for a "people's vote"... from the day after the referendum result was announced.
  • Options
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

Gabs3 said:

And so the prospect of handing over money to the EU each week is supposed to be attractive?
    The money will all be in euros, that'll be the clincher. Who wants to see Charlie on their banknotes?

On a serious note, once we're out the EU becomes a Foreign Land. Once we're out for a bit longer, and as the EU changes, it becomes Even More Foreign Land. This makes the argument to rejoin harder. Even if plenty of us feel European, that might be in a similar sense to how Norwegians and Swiss do, rather than as EUians in Exile.
  • Options

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Gabs3 said:

The money will all be in euros, that'll be the clincher. Who wants to see Charlie on their banknotes?

On a serious note, once we're out the EU becomes a Foreign Land. Once we're out for a bit longer, and as the EU changes, it becomes Even More Foreign Land. This makes the argument to rejoin harder. Even if plenty of us feel European, that might be in a similar sense to how Norwegians and Swiss do, rather than as EUians in Exile.
    Switzerland and Norway have very close EU relationships, that I would personally be happy with as a Remainer. So far the Brexit policy of the Tories has been to take us more to a USA-style relationship, i.e. no relationship at all really
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ave_it said:

In the year 2525 etc 😊😊

Big Nige will see you right, he would never need to pay for a drink if he were to visit Leicester. A real legend. Deeney is past it now though.

Liverpool are a tough place to go.
    Fair call Foxy. Are you the same foxy who is Leicester? If so you are doing really well ! Needed to beat Norwich though cos they are League 1 😊
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Let's scrap HS2 now. Let's use the money to improve existing rail network including new North link and reverse rail closures which LAB made 1964-1970.

Including Dumfries- Stranraer link closed by LAB 1965

I ve always liked HS2 - but since it s getting late I say it should go all the way from London to Aberdeen (via Birmingham etc). It would look ineffient on a map but it makes sense to me
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Johnson’s going to occupy it

Get Brexit done (TM) then park his tanks firmly on the centre right/soft left.

Moderately high spending socially liberal.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Local press is part of this disconnection with the "real world", but a related issue is the way 24-hour news has generated an apparently insatiable demand for "commentators" and the recent wave of talking heads has been particularly poor. The success of the Corbyn Project within the Labour party rendered a lot of the previous "go-to" Labour-related commentators pretty useless, as their personal ties or experience wonking for New Labour/EdM left them out of tune and largely devoid of insight on the inner workings of the new machine. Their replacements were essentially activists rather than journalists - that's the pool you have to fish to get people who've hung out and cultivated connections with the far-left. The flip side of this is gobby offence-merchants on the Right who make their living spouting controversial views. Need something to make the news channels more "entertaining"/provocative and grab viewing share I guess. @MediaGuido points out the left-wing issue but not the right-wing one!

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1205805160016105473
    I broadly agree with your point but Guido is just as trash as some of the leftie outlets, I really wish people wouldn't post it.
  • Options
    Labour are fucked for the locals. If the Con managed to convince people to vote for them because Labour aren't investing in the NHS or doing enough about homelessness then Labour are going to get destroyed at the locals.
  • Options
    Is the worry that they will do well in the locals, or badly?
  • Options
    Charles said:

And if/when the next recession comes under his watch, even deeper austerity?

The astonishing thing is that even three years ago this kind of spending would have been ripped to shreds by the current Tory Party.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

If they don't get totally obliterated under a competent leadership (which I concede is unlikely), they will take that as a good sign.
  • Options

Why?

Because we belong to the most successful political union in modern history. I've always loved Scotland and coming to live here has been wonderful - it's given me so much. It troubles me that people feel so alienated from Britain, and I hope that one day all of us will feel ownership and pride in every square mile. And even if you're firmly in the Little England camp, if we have no successful formula for uniting the four nations of the UK, do we also wave goodbye to Cornwall? Yorkshire? Where does it stop?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464
    IshmaelZ said:

In 2017 someone here suggested May sweeten the deal with the DUP by offering them "a laser big enough to write Fuck the Pope on the moon." Might be a cheaper alternative to the bridge.
    IMO the bright side of a large majority is I don't have to hear Arlene or Dodds rationalising their latest extortion racket outside of #10.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    Charles said:

I hope that proves correct. But how will the neoliberals in the Tory party - Rees-Mogg and the like - react?
  • Options

alex_ said:

If they don't get totally obliterated under a competent leadership (which I concede is unlikely), they will take that as a good sign.
    I thought maybe the worry is that they might do quite well with Corbyn still in situ, and take that as a sign...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

I'm not sure which measurement is being used to assert Sturgeon was 'made a bit uncomfortable', and if you think a young candidate with an impressive back story knocking out the leader of an opposition party isn't worth celebrating, perhaps you've never been part of a GE campaign (even at the low level that I've been).

If we're on gracious SLD responses in victory..

https://twitter.com/KAlmsivi/status/1205387070748925954?s=20

https://twitter.com/sblack505/status/1205795928764026881?s=20

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878

IshmaelZ said:

IMO the bright side of a large majority is I don't have to hear Arlene or Dodds rationalising their latest extortion racket outside of #10.
    +1 I should add that to my 'reasons to be cheerful" list.
  • Options

Charles said:

I hope that proves correct. But how will the neoliberals in the Tory party - Rees-Mogg and the like - react?
    Yes indeed, how does the pro free market ERG Tory Party now link together with the new Cameronite style Johnson party, when the latter they had comprehensively rejected just a few months ago?
  • Options

RobD said:

I reckon the bridge would economically be a white elephant even if physically feasible. Might even be too late for any purported union-saving. I'm not ramping it up as a great idea. Just saying, if you try entering into the mind of Boris, this does feel like the kind of big boy's toy symbolic legacy thing that might just trigger some excitation in his neural pathways. He's talked a lot about the North of England, the Bridge lets him say he's "One Nation" in the Union-wide sense too. Wouldn't be surprised if the plans come out again. Would be surprised if it all gets rubber-stamped and any work starts on it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Corbyn"

True!

Thanks.

One day the SNP won't be dominant in Scotland. It just might take independence for it to happen!

Wasn't she planning on quitting/retiring as leader early next year, or have I just totally made that up?
    You've made it up.
  • Options

Charles said:

Toe the line like the Labour centrists did with Corbyn, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited December 2019
    I see Jezza writing in the Observer is still basically saying we woz right about everything, it was the evil media.
  • Options
    As a LD and Plymouth Argyle supporter, I am used to disappointment but I am very optimistic of a LD revival in Devon and Cornwall. 'Horlicks to Brexit!' and 'Revoke Article 50!' went down like a cup of cold sick here as Andrew George, struggling and failing to retake St. Ives, pointedly noted. Michael Heseltine (one time MP for Tavistock) conceded this morning that the 'war is lost and Brexit will happen'. Providing LD HQ are not stupid (not to be discounted) and campaign for an immediate rejoin, we should be able to resume our traditional 'anti-Tory' role in the South West. Layla Moran would be my choice as leader, having no coalition baggage, albeit with a slight worry that her 'chic geeky' style might not be to everyone's taste.

After Brexit, then the organic matter hits the Vent-Axia for Devon and Cornwall. Farmers and fishermen will become uncompetitive, manufacturers in Plymouth will struggle to export and the national economy will go into recession. Infrastructure spending, such as it is, will go to the North and we will be still stuck with a railway line that closes every time there is a high-tide at Dawlish. No branch-lines will reopen, and the A38 between |Exeter and Plymouth will still remain a death-trap. Still, looking on the bright side there might be a few extra low-paid jobs in the tourist industry as 'staycations' become more popular due to the hassle of passport and border controls on the continent.

At the May local elections the Tories lost control of every district council in Devon, bar West Devon and South Hams which just clung on by one councillor each. Tory Devon County Council is approaching Northamptonshire levels of incompetence, so the 2021 election is going to be very interesting.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Alistair said:

Labour are fucked for the locals. If the Con managed to convince people to vote for them because Labour aren't investing in the NHS or doing enough about homelessness then Labour are going to get destroyed at the locals.
    Not necessarily. If people are feeling badly about having felt obliged to vote Not-Labour in the GE, they may well compensate by turning out in large numbers to vote for their Labour candidate in the locals.
This discussion has been closed.