Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Your PB easy access guide to who is standing where

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    ydoethur said:

Jason said:

That silly stunt by C4 will come back to bite them.

Did they get the pick of ice, like Corbyn’s admiree Trotsky?
    It's another of those where Johnson had absolutely nothing to gain. 5 other party leaders all saying 'it's your fault, Mr Johnson'. I know it's sent panic through the Tories here (admittedly that's not very difficult to do at the best of times), but once again it's a political calculation worth taking.

Nobody but nobody will give a flying fuck about an obscure C4 debate about climate change when they cast their vote in two weeks time. Well, apart from ofcom over the ridiculous ice block stunt.

This would have been 5 party leaders hammering Boris and the Tories for 60 minutes - gold dust for them and no upside for him.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    Johnson clearly doesn't care about the planet. #ch4noshow
  • Options

I think time here is far more relevant than which nationality they have

French person here 15 years planning to stay > Irish person here 1 year planning to leave or indeed UK person who has been absent for 20 years with no plans to return.

The only of of the three who could vote would be the Irish person and only because we treat them as British.
    Why hasn't your hypothetical French person bothered to take citizenship if they've been here for 15 years and are planning to stay? They can get citizenship if they want it if they've been here that long and then they can vote.
    The Tory manifesto is offering votes for the absent expats.

Perhaps they dont have £1k disposable income to buy a passport. Perhaps they see themselves as French. Perhaps it is more convenient for foreign travel. I dont really mind, by being here 15 years they have shown themselves to be a long term part of the community and therefore should have a say.
  • Options

houndtang said:

This C4 thing is just going to be an hour of people trying to out virtue signal each other. Really pointless.

Theyll all be out committing themselves to go carbon neutral earlier. Two weeks on friday is what theyll end up agreeing on. Climate change is full of hustlers liars, rent seekers and lunatics and theyre evenly spread across whatever side of the debate you find yourself on.
    Free advertising for the five who have showed up. Hardly a game-changer, but useful.
  • Options
    In other news....

Boris sends his mum to do Emily Maitlis on newsnight tomorrow.
  • Options
    Any polls tonight? (Twitches nervously)
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

Coupled with his cowardice with Andrew Neil, the twice sacked liar Boris Johnson is repeating Mrs May's mistakes from 2017.

Remarkable, isn’t it?

The Tory campaign also seems to have put the engine into neutral and thinks it can coast through the next two weeks now to polling day. The Conservatives were going on about fucking potholes on their Twitter feed last night. POT. HOLES.

Muppets.

Wafer-thin majority is my view, and probably two less than Cameron for the lolz. Almost the worst possible result for Boris and will make him a prisoner of the ERG.
    What the hell are the Tories playing at?
    I hope we see the Tory lead cut to 5% because they don't deserve anything more.

Hopefully they will wake up out of their complacency.
    I'm not so sure that the Tories are being complacent. Maybe they're just plain old fashioned incompetent?

After all, Parliament isn't exactly famed for being stuffed to the gunwales with talented individuals these days, now is it?
    You were right to be panicked.

The tories nowadays are simply shit.
    Regarding the channel 4 debate- I don't think people will care outside of the bubble.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited November 2019

houndtang said:

This C4 thing is just going to be an hour of people trying to out virtue signal each other. Really pointless.

Theyll all be out committing themselves to go carbon neutral earlier. Two weeks on friday is what theyll end up agreeing on. Climate change is full of hustlers liars, rent seekers and lunatics and theyre evenly spread across whatever side of the debate you find yourself on.
    Free advertising for the five who have showed up. Hardly a game-changer, but useful.
    Useful for the Tories, yes. Five parties who are all vying for the same Remain and eco conscious voters. Cummings is not as stupid as people think he is.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    I think C4 will find themselves in hot water over the sculpture and refusing to allow Michael Gove to participate. Damage of course will already have been done
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2019
    God this is boring. Thanks god for Netflix
  • Options

I wonder if the reason there are so many awful stories this election is because parties are really struggling these days to attract quality candidates.

Honestly, who’d want to be an MP?

I wouldn’t.

Good point.
    There was a survey today showing women are now half as likely to see being an MP as a desirable job as men. I cant blame them given the abuse female politicians get.
    Being a male politician still wouldnt be any fun either, expected to spin and lie non stop and do what the whips tell you, rather than standing up for what you believe in or working together with those you disagree with to find solutions and compromises.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Most first generation immigrants are firm believers in self-reliance, self-betterment and personal advancement. A Conservative party that hadn’t thrown its lot in with inward-looking surly reactionaries should have an appealing message for them.

All four great offices of state are current held by descendants of people who immigrated to Britain in the 20th century.
    You could have found a better advert for immigration.
  • Options

Swinson - Brexit is a climate crime! :D

Ye Gods, there are two of us watching!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    After the "Fuck The Tories" fiasco I'm surprised the government didn't act against Channel 4 two years ago.
  • Options

I wonder if the reason there are so many awful stories this election is because parties are really struggling these days to attract quality candidates.

I wouldn’t.

Neither would I.

Forget the salary (and it is a low salary compared to what professionals earn)

You'd have constant threats of violence, your family feeling bad you're getting criticised.

Also, you're not allowed to have a past.

I'm glad I'm old enough to have missed being a student with social media and camera phones everywhere.
    Exactly. All of that.

And, I’m not entirely sure I could always keep my temper.

I’d probably end up calling someone a twat, or overreacting to someone calling me a twat, and then it’s game over.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I find it strange they would have a debate about climate change. Brexit maybe but it’s quite a niche issue and isn’t top of public priorities. Very Channel 4.

I also think it was strange Stanley was there but Gove is environment minister, it’s poor form not to let him take part when some Plaid Cymru Guy is allowed on
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited November 2019
    The spat about EU nationals getting the vote that's taking place on here at the moment demonstrates exactly why Boris Johnson probably has to win this election outright if Brexit is ever to happen. If the Conservatives fail to win and a Corbyn minority Government enters office, backed by the votes of the SNP and others, then the only way that a second referendum doesn't happen is if the EU27 decide they are so totally fed up with the UK that they determine to be rid of us at the end of January. That's possible but doesn't seem at all likely - especially because Remain will almost inevitably win such a referendum, because Labour and its partners will extend the franchise to include 16-18 year olds and all EU nationals ordinarily resident in the UK. It's not even as if this can be frustrated in the Lords because the Tories don't have the numbers there, or anywhere close.

Once A50 is withdrawn then Brexit can only happen in future if a majority Government committed to it is elected. Might that happen at some point? Perhaps. But one would've thought that having all those extra EU voters on the electoral register would rule it out for a very long time.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I'd imagine the leaders have also been instructed that they cant lay into the Tories about no showing given how far over the line C4 already are
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Brom said:

I find it strange they would have a debate about climate change. Brexit maybe but it’s quite a niche issue and isn’t top of public priorities. Very Channel 4.

I also think it was strange Stanley was there but Gove is environment minister, it’s poor form not to let him take part when some Plaid Cymru Guy is allowed on

They allowed a sub for the leader of Plaid Cymru but not the Tories? That has got to be against the rules.
  • Options

The spat taking place on here at the moment demonstrates exactly why Boris Johnson probably has to win this election outright if Brexit is ever to happen. If the Conservatives fail to win and a Corbyn minority Government enters office, backed by the votes of the SNP and others, then the only way that a second referendum doesn't happen is if the EU27 decide they are so totally fed up with the UK that they determine to be rid of us at the end of January. That's possible but doesn't seem at all likely - especially because Remain will almost inevitably win such a referendum, because Labour and its partners will extend the franchise to include 16-18 year olds and all EU nationals ordinarily resident in the UK. It's not even as if this can be frustrated in the Lords because the Tories don't have the numbers there, or anywhere close.

Once A50 is withdrawn then Brexit can only happen in future if a majority Government committed to it is elected. Might that happen at some point? Perhaps. But one would've thought that having all those extra EU voters on the electoral register would rule it out for a very long time.

Plenty of Labour MPs and the DUP probably won’t support a 2nd ref. He’d need to go backwards in seats which is possible.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293

IanB2 said:

Coupled with his cowardice with Andrew Neil, the twice sacked liar Boris Johnson is repeating Mrs May's mistakes from 2017.

A no-show is less dangerous than bumbling incompetence.
    Great. So that’s our probable next PM, someone who can’t be trusted to do a television interview.
    I am in no way inclined towards Johnson, but if one is a dire interviewee it would seem wise to avoid the interview. A lesson learned from the hapless Corbyn?
    If he was contesting to be a librarian, one might have some sympathy.

But being interviewed, and held to challenging scrutiny, is right up there at the top of the job description. Even as FS one of his interviews worsened the lot of one of our citizens in a foreign jail. As PM he’ll be batting for us in front of the world’s media, yet he’s frightened of being interviewed during an election. Just as he was when he stood for leader. Pitiful.
  • Options

Three- but its a tedious shouting match.
  • Options

The spat about EU nationals getting the vote that's taking place on here at the moment demonstrates exactly why Boris Johnson probably has to win this election outright if Brexit is ever to happen. If the Conservatives fail to win and a Corbyn minority Government enters office, backed by the votes of the SNP and others, then the only way that a second referendum doesn't happen is if the EU27 decide they are so totally fed up with the UK that they determine to be rid of us at the end of January. That's possible but doesn't seem at all likely - especially because Remain will almost inevitably win such a referendum, because Labour and its partners will extend the franchise to include 16-18 year olds and all EU nationals ordinarily resident in the UK. It's not even as if this can be frustrated in the Lords because the Tories don't have the numbers there, or anywhere close.

Precisely why the franchise extension is the most dangerous single item in the Labour manifesto (and that's saying something!). I wonder how it could be highlighted to Tory voters in key seats without firing up all those on the other side who would love a permanent boost to Labour and the pro-EU cause...
  • Options
    I don’t even see what the problem would have been for Boris doing this.

The Tories have a good story to tell on climate change.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Brom said:

They allowed a sub for the leader of Plaid Cymru but not the Tories? That has got to be against the rules.
    He is the PC leader
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Personally speaking, Channel 4 should have replaced Boris Johnson with a tub of lard.

Which was an absent Labour politician and the BBC. I missed it; can someone explain why C4’s ice is worse than that?
    The first was on a comedy show, not during an election.
    This is on a news show during, during an election campaign.
  • Options

Shall we hook up a conference call and play a game of scrabble until it's over?
  • Options

Agreed. I suspect it was Channel 4 more than the subject I think he has an issue with.
  • Options

The Greens want to cancel public transport investment. Genius.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

RobD said:

Brom said:

He is the PC leader
    OK, I misunderstood Brom’s post
  • Options

Him not turning up tells a different story.
  • Options

Total waste of time. No one gives a **** about this debate.

It's like the Rolling Stones turning up to do a gig at Brighton Pavilion....
  • Options

???? I thought she was your party Leader? Or are you talking about something non-Swinson related?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Brom said:

https://twitter.com/joerichlaw/status/1200044894326312960

A glowing endorsement from a very marginal seat.

She might not have backed Corbyn to be leader of the Labour Party, but she'd happily install him as leader of the United Kingdom, of course.

I mean, honestly.
    It's one of the most dishonest positions to take, in the guise of being more honest.
  • Options
    I’m pretty into politics, as I’m sure most on here would agree.

I’ve just switched on and have no idea who the guy standing between Corbyn and Sturgeon is.
  • Options
    All hail the spreadsheets.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Jason said:

That silly stunt by C4 will come back to bite them.

In what way?
  • Options

RobD said:

Brom said:

He is the PC leader
    Yep but they’re standing in a tiny amount of seats. If they were serious about this they’d have someone like Gove who was actually in a position to make change happen.
  • Options

I'd guess it's because no one for whom climate change is a first-order issue will ever vote Conservative, whereas a certain chunk of the Tory base / potential Tory voters is likely to still be sceptical.

Plus a good showing by the minor parties could draw key votes away from Labour.
  • Options

I wouldn’t.

Also social media. All the kind of stupid things people used to say down the pub are now written down and available for all to see. For ever. I doubt if today's candidates are any worse than in the past. Casual racism of all kinds used to be much more prevalent back in the day than now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Brom said:

It’s an election - the people arguing on our tv should be people contesting for our votes. Sending your father is pitiful behaviour. Gove however should have been allowed in, on the same basis as Rudd who subbed for the last Tory leader too frightened to appear on tv.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

Remarkable, isn’t it?

The Tory campaign also seems to have put the engine into neutral and thinks it can coast through the next two weeks now to polling day. The Conservatives were going on about fucking potholes on their Twitter feed last night. POT. HOLES.

Muppets.

Wafer-thin majority is my view, and probably two less than Cameron for the lolz. Almost the worst possible result for Boris and will make him a prisoner of the ERG.

I'm not so sure that the Tories are being complacent. Maybe they're just plain old fashioned incompetent?

After all, Parliament isn't exactly famed for being stuffed to the gunwales with talented individuals these days, now is it?

I've gone past the panic phase and am now in a much calmer place. I truly detest the idea of Corbyn as Prime Minister, but at least I'm reasonably sure that he can't get over the finishing line on his own and the Scots Nats aren't completely mad. They'll stop him from doing anything too silly because (a) they'd suffer too if he made a mess of the economy, and (b) they're very committed to keeping the UK in the EU, and the EU's institutions should also act as a check on some of the more extreme forms of crazy behaviour in which Labour might otherwise indulge.

Beyond that, I've switched sides to Remain and Tory defeat seems highly likely to lead to that outcome. True faith Brexiteers will not, I imagine, be feeling so sanguine about that prospect.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Total waste of time. No one gives a **** about this debate.

It's like the Rolling Stones turning up to do a gig at Brighton Pavilion....
    In any campaign you bloody well get stuck in and say yes to everything.

Particularly on TV.
  • Options

French person here 15 years planning to stay > Irish person here 1 year planning to leave or indeed UK person who has been absent for 20 years with no plans to return.

The only of of the three who could vote would be the Irish person and only because we treat them as British.
    Why hasn't your hypothetical French person bothered to take citizenship if they've been here for 15 years and are planning to stay? They can get citizenship if they want it if they've been here that long and then they can vote.

Perhaps they dont have £1k disposable income to buy a passport. Perhaps they see themselves as French. Perhaps it is more convenient for foreign travel. I dont really mind, by being here 15 years they have shown themselves to be a long term part of the community and therefore should have a say.
    If they see themselves as French they have no reason to vote in our elections. The fee has nothing to do with it and if you want to remove the fee then I'd have no objection to that. All countries for good reason reject their national elections to their own nationals.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

FPT

I think Boris ducking Neil is a serious mistake. And a stupid one.

I find myself instantly losing respect for him at the prospect of it. Admittedly, I didn’t have much of it to start with, but I thought he did ok at the QT special last Friday night.

Getting a ”frit” meme snowballing is a horrible label to have hung round your neck in the last 2 weeks before polling day when you’re relying on your best PM lead and a ‘balls of steel’ reputation.

Neil is a competent interviewer but he is also a self-important bully. Look at the stuff he retweets about himself, e.g.

"It appears that

@afneil

is on a one-man mission to clean up politics in the UK, by exposing the lies, exaggerations and deceptions of every party’s politicians. He must be striking fear into the stone-cold hearts of most of those in Westminster. Thank goodness. Bravo, Sir."

So let's not appoint him a living national treasure, bulwark of our democracy, etc. and let's not condemn Johnson for ducking out of the interview until he actually ducks out of it. It's very possible he is stringing things out so that we can continue to laugh at the sheer ineptitude of Labour in putting forward Corbyn without guarantees, and so that he can extract concessions from Neil. For instance it would be reasonable to stipulate that Arcuri is sub judice and off limits, and that's a concession he might get if Neil is desperate enough.
  • Options

I’ve just switched on and have no idea who the guy standing between Corbyn and Sturgeon is.

Ah, Plaid Cymru.

Still don’t know his name.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    No gives a flying fuck about channel 4. Bozza needs to step up and do the Andrew Neil interview.
  • Options

Adam Price, leader of Plaid.
  • Options

I wouldn’t.

Neither would I.
    You'd have constant threats of violence, your family feeling bad you're getting criticised.
    I'm glad I'm old enough to have missed being a student with social media and camera phones everywhere.
    I'm not sure how we fix this issue. I'm as guilty of anyone of going too far in condemnation of the political classes sometimes, but I do try to give them credit where it is due adn acknowledge the difficulty of the job they are asked to do, but I see no sign as a society we would take action to make it an appealing job for people to do.
  • Options
    On the day after my party has been predicted to get just 13 seats it's actually the PB Conservatives who are in another blind panic... As a Lib Dem I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...
  • Options

nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

Remarkable, isn’t it?

Muppets.

Regarding the channel 4 debate- I don't think people will care outside of the bubble.
    That's what people say about everything that ever happens in politics.
  • Options
    Exactly - watermelon on watermelon action = Tory win.
  • Options
    Apparently Stanley Johnson was invited by C4News for the “spin room”, not “sent by the PM” from John Rentoul.

Looks like the participants vetoed Goves inclusion which would be a breach of standards in an election period
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

I'm happy to continue to be a contrarian: if the worst story about Boris over the next 13 days is that he dodged an interview with Andrew Neil and that story dominates the political news cycle, then that does the Tories much less harm than if Labour's NHS BS were being run 24/7. It's basically a running dead cat!

Neil is a Westminster bubble story, especially since Boris has already gone head-to-head with Corbyn, and will do so again.

Bojo has stolen Farage's thunder by being a better blustering authoritarian than Farage.

The thing about Authoritarians is that they mist appear strong. That's why it was ridiculous when people saying Boris might switch constituency, it would have destroyed his aura.

Skipping multi party debates was fine as that kept his aura of being above it all intact. Skipping the 1 v 1 makes him look like a coward and makes people reassess his skipping the multi party debates.

It is a massive category error.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

It’s an election - the people arguing on our tv should be people contesting for our votes. Sending your father is pitiful behaviour. Gove however should have been allowed in, on the same basis as Rudd who subbed for the last Tory leader too frightened to appear on tv.
    Who is sending their dad where?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

FPT

I find myself instantly losing respect for him at the prospect of it. Admittedly, I didn’t have much of it to start with, but I thought he did ok at the QT special last Friday night.

Getting a ”frit” meme snowballing is a horrible label to have hung round your neck in the last 2 weeks before polling day when you’re relying on your best PM lead and a ‘balls of steel’ reputation.

Neil is a competent interviewer but he is also a self-important bully. Look at the stuff he retweets about himself,
    He is clearly a vain man who likes retweeting the praise that he gets from people, but I'm not sure where the bully stuff comes from. Do we know what he is like as a colleague or employer? Because his interviewing style, which people whinge about as being bullying, does not amount to being a bully and I don't know what else we have to go on.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Brom said:

She might not have backed Corbyn to be leader of the Labour Party, but she'd happily install him as leader of the United Kingdom, of course.

I mean, honestly.
    It's one of the most dishonest positions to take, in the guise of being more honest.
    Really? I recall MP's having a Corbyn revolt before the Commissars got a grip on the Party. IIRC, a large percentage voted not to work with him.
    Perhaps her position is "Look - we MPs are stuck with this fool too"
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

I called that this morning.
  • Options
    This isn't a "debate" its a series of one-on-one interviews conducted in parallel by KGM.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

Channel 4 invited Stanley Johnson to the spin room for this and now people are spinning/trolling it as BJ sending his Dad to do the debate
  • Options

If they see themselves as French they have no reason to vote in our elections. The fee has nothing to do with it and if you want to remove the fee then I'd have no objection to that. All countries for good reason reject their national elections to their own nationals.
    The fee matters to those who cant afford it!

I want people who are a long term part of the community of the UK to be able to vote, whether they see their main identity as British, Scottish, Cornish, French, Irish, world citizens, Europeans, Chinese or even Catholic or Muslim doesnt change that.
  • Options
    Brom said:

The spat taking place on here at the moment demonstrates exactly why Boris Johnson probably has to win this election outright if Brexit is ever to happen. If the Conservatives fail to win and a Corbyn minority Government enters office, backed by the votes of the SNP and others, then the only way that a second referendum doesn't happen is if the EU27 decide they are so totally fed up with the UK that they determine to be rid of us at the end of January. That's possible but doesn't seem at all likely - especially because Remain will almost inevitably win such a referendum, because Labour and its partners will extend the franchise to include 16-18 year olds and all EU nationals ordinarily resident in the UK. It's not even as if this can be frustrated in the Lords because the Tories don't have the numbers there, or anywhere close.

Plenty of Labour MPs and the DUP probably won’t support a 2nd ref. He’d need to go backwards in seats which is possible.
    If Labour ends up in power then I would expect the Labour MPs in Leave-leaning areas to back a referendum on their own party's Brexit proposal versus Remain. Why wouldn't they? Will there be any committed Brexiteers in the PLP after this election?

The position of the DUP only becomes pivotal if the arithmetic stacks up in just the right fashion to give them the balance of power between the Tories and the Labour-led bloc. If it does then things get very interesting, but the chances of that happening again are rather slender.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

Nobody. Some people who should know better started frothing, for no apparent reason.
  • Options

On the day after my party has been predicted to get just 13 seats it's actually the PB Conservatives who are in another blind panic... As a Lib Dem I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...

Well sure that would be very disappointing, but the LDs were not going to be potentially running the country for five years, and even on 13 seats they get what they want, remain, if Labour hold up their end and prevent a Tory majority.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    Alistair said:

BluerBlue said:

I'm happy to continue to be a contrarian: if the worst story about Boris over the next 13 days is that he dodged an interview with Andrew Neil and that story dominates the political news cycle, then that does the Tories much less harm than if Labour's NHS BS were being run 24/7. It's basically a running dead cat!

Neil is a Westminster bubble story, especially since Boris has already gone head-to-head with Corbyn, and will do so again.

Bojo has stolen Farage's thunder by being a better blustering authoritarian than Farage.

The thing about Authoritarians is that they mist appear strong. That's why it was ridiculous when people saying Boris might switch constituency, it would have destroyed his aura.

Skipping multi party debates was fine as that kept his aura of being above it all intact. Skipping the 1 v 1 makes him look like a coward and makes people reassess his skipping the multi party debates.

I think your category error is assuming that the "people who care" category is 100 times bigger than it really is. Boris is going up against Corbyn head-to-head, and that's all that really matters. How many people even know the C4 debate is happening, let alone are watching it, let alone are Tory supporters or potential Tory voters?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    kle4 said:

I wouldn’t.

Neither would I.
    I'm not sure how we fix this issue. I'm as guilty of anyone of going too far in condemnation of the political classes sometimes, but I do try to give them credit where it is due adn acknowledge the difficulty of the job they are asked to do, but I see no sign as a society we would take action to make it an appealing job for people to do.
    +1, though of course I'm biased. Personally I wish I was back there - one of the most interesting jobs in the world. But I do see that the level of public intimidation and media muckraking makes it high-risk. Mainly I do blame the print media - one of the nastiest in the democratic world, and lightyears away from the reasonable attempt at balance in the German, French, Scandianavian and indeed American press.

But I'm not sure what to do about it either. It does seem odd that a genuinely non-partisan paper doesn't do well - the public seem at some level to like mud-slinging, so long as they think the target is right.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019

Apparently Stanley Johnson was invited by C4News for the “spin room”, not “sent by the PM” from John Rentoul.

Looks like the participants vetoed Goves inclusion which would be a breach of standards in an election period

That's ridiculous. If this is a Climate debate he is eminently qualified to represent the party.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Sir Richard Evans, eminent historian of Nazi Germany and the man who exposed the lies and anti-semitism of David Irving in the Lipstadt/Penguin libel trial, is no longer voting Labour.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,635
    Decarbonised heat - not one of them has mentioned hydrogen.

Get with it, party leaders.
  • Options

For you guys getting 13 is just another day in the office.
    For us who are genuinely terrified of a Corbyn government any less than 320 or more is a terrifying prospect.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

Neil is a competent interviewer but he is also a self-important bully. Look at the stuff he retweets about himself,
    He is clearly a vain man who likes retweeting the praise that he gets from people, but I'm not sure where the bully stuff comes from. Do we know what he is like as a colleague or employer? Because his interviewing style, which people whinge about as being bullying, does not amount to being a bully and I don't know what else we have to go on.
    "I have asked you four times" is bullying. Ask, ask again, move on.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

Problem is that it's a specialist subject, so you have an advantage if you can replace the Leader, who is naturally enough a generalist.

This point is being borne out by the discussion I am watching (in between playing scrabble). Sian Berry is not a great speaker but she has a grasp of detail that is giving her a definite edge in this debate.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Shame they didn't send Piers along to debate climate with Jeremy. That wouldn't livened things up. :D
  • Options

kle4 said:

I wouldn’t.

Neither would I.
    the public seem at some level to like mud-slinging, so long as they think the target is right.
    This is the main problem. While we will have disagreement about what the current parties' positions are and how appealing those positions are, one thing some often say is that 'the people' want a sensible centrist alternative, but I suspect we'd agree that there's not really much sign that that is true. The public reward parties who are firm and ideological. And they also reward political mudslinging and lack of compromise.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

Decarbonised heat - not one of them has mentioned hydrogen.

Get with it, party leaders.

It sounds as though this debate is significantly adding to global warming via enormous emissions of hot air.
  • Options

That's ridiculous. If this is a Climate debate he is eminently qualified to represent the party.
    I think Ch4 might be in serious trouble over this stunt. They absolutely cannot insist on the presence of party leaders at an event set up by themselves and refuse to accept a sensible stand in during am election period. And definitely not empty chair anybody who was never booked and has sent his environment secretary to participate
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Alistair said:

BluerBlue said:

I think your category error is assuming that the "people who care" category is 100 times bigger than it really is. Boris is going up against Corbyn head-to-head, and that's all that really matters. How many people even know the C4 debate is happening, let alone are watching it, let alone are Tory supporters or potential Tory voters?
    No one knew. The only reason I know this debate is on is because Boris ducked it.
    Now people know. It's not about specific events, or is about the backgrounds radiation level of discourse. Before the background radiation was that corbyn is useless (not about any specific thing, just that he was useless). Now the background radiation is that old Bojo us running scared.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Everyone remembers the ICM poll from 21/04/97 that "cut" Labour's lead to 5%.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,635

She's the leader of your party!
  • Options

The fee matters to those who cant afford it!

I want people who are a long term part of the community of the UK to be able to vote, whether they see their main identity as British, Scottish, Cornish, French, Irish, world citizens, Europeans, Chinese or even Catholic or Muslim doesnt change that.
    As I said the fee can be abolished so no it isn't relevant. There is no reason to change the law on voting rather than make acquiring citizenship easier if it is an issue. There are more benefits to citizenship than just voting.

It does change that. All countries let their nationals vote in their national elections. It is what citizenship means. Why not abolish citizenship as a concept if you're just going to let anyone vote?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Yeah, but that was an election where the party that was miles ahead was the one putting out the press releases about its vote being in freefall.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

Problem is that it's a specialist subject, so you have an advantage if you can replace the Leader, who is naturally enough a generalist.
    This point is being borne out by the discussion I am watching (in between playing scrabble). Sian Berry is not a great speaker but she has a grasp of detail that is giving her a definite edge in this debate.
    The answer to that, is have it between specialists. Much more useful and informative. And is Gove a specialist anyway?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Cyclefree said:

Sir Richard Evans, eminent historian of Nazi Germany and the man who exposed the lies and anti-semitism of David Irving in the Lipstadt/Penguin libel trial, is no longer voting Labour.

This is very welcome news.

I am quite surprised at how long it took one of the country's leading experts on 1930s Germany to realise that "I want more steps towards a federal Europe and the objections of the Jews will not stop me" was, to put it mildly, a bad look.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

And democracy will have died in our country. All those non citizens having the vote is just a gerrymander ( for clarity is withdraw the rights of the Commonwealth to vote too).

If people feel the field is slanted against them like that, it will be a dark day.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,746
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

Is the aim of election programmes to find out party positions, or to catch out people without specialist knowledge (and would have no particular reason to)?
  • Options

Are we saying the veto, or the inclusion, would be a breach of standards? And what standards?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Brom said:

I mean, honestly.
    Really? I recall MP's having a Corbyn revolt before the Commissars got a grip on the Party. IIRC, a large percentage voted not to work with him.
    Perhaps her position is "Look - we MPs are stuck with this fool too"
    None of them are stuck with him that's the excuse of a coward, they could have taken a stand if they don't like his leadership, as some did with him and others did with Boris. They are happy for him to be leader of the country so downplaying their support for him is just stupid. If they want him to be PM that's a position a lot of people can get behind, millions in fact, and you don't have to worship him, but if you are making someone PM what's the point bringing up your relative lack of enthusiasm? It makes no difference to how they will act on the critical question.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Can't those who turned up for Channel4 climate debate be dunked in a vat of green slime?

Word soup from Price of PC, and the others aren't any better.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Alistair said:

BluerBlue said:

Alistair said:

BluerBlue said:

No one knew. The only reason I know this debate is on is because Boris ducked it.
    Now people know. It's not about specific events, or is about the backgrounds radiation level of discourse. Before the background radiation was that corbyn is useless (not about any specific thing, just that he was useless). Now the background radiation is that old Bojo us running scared.
    To be honest, I suspect the vibe from this will be who the fuck do Chnl 4 think they are demanding the PM appears. Spun correctly, Jon fuck the Tories, Snow and the senior bod whose name escapes me slagging off Boris can be made to play well.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    It would be quite funny if as a result of this Channel4 were forced to rectify by giving Gove a full length interview on climate change. It would be a free hit for the Tories.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

BluerBlue said:

Alistair said:

BluerBlue said:

Corbyn "ran scared" of an election for months. Is that fact going to sway this election one way or another? The people who will "cancel" Boris for missing one interview and a C4 debate were never going to vote for him anyway.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Cyclefree said:

And this is the letter which, according to him, changed his mind - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/11/open-letter-sir-richard-evans-labour-s-anti-semitism-cannot-be-disregarded.
    “This anti-Semitism concerns us all, Jews and non-Jews. A party that cannot be trusted in relation to Jews cannot be trusted at all. No party of reform and justice can be trusted if it makes exceptions of a minority community. British Jews have heard for some weeks now the argument that the anti-Semitism is all very unfortunate; it is limited (to the leader, to a small fraction in the party enabled by him); there are bigger issues (Brexit, austerity, etc). There is even an implication that it is a little parochial – perhaps even, selfish – of Jews to insist on their own special suffering, their own local fears, in these times of national crisis. So what if the party is contaminated by Jew hatred if it is also the party that will save the country?”
    We’ve even had some of that on here. Sadly.
This discussion has been closed.