Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So after the MRP polls Johnson’s GE2019 gamble looks as though

1235»

Comments

• Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019

I look forward to his tour of working men's clubs in Stoke, Mansfield, Hartlepool.

No ordinary people go to working mens clubs. Even in Stoke, Mansfield, and Hartlepool.
    How out of touch are you?
    Erm. They really do. Just not too many young people. Shame really - the beer is always cheap and you can giggle at the Phoenix Nights overtones when the “turn” starts.
    Exactly. Ordinary people don’t. Just xenophobic boomers.
    I wouldn’t try that line on the campaign trail.
    Edit - A very revealing comment actually.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320

I look forward to his tour of working men's clubs in Stoke, Mansfield, Hartlepool.

No ordinary people go to working mens clubs. Even in Stoke, Mansfield, and Hartlepool.
    Erm. They really do. Just not too many young people. Shame really - the beer is always cheap and you can giggle at the Phoenix Nights overtones when the “turn” starts.
    Doesn’t make it false.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    https://twitter.com/joerichlaw/status/1200044894326312960

A glowing endorsement from a very marginal seat.
  • I look forward to his tour of working men's clubs in Stoke, Mansfield, Hartlepool.

Edit - A very revealing comment actually.
    P.S. You’re really missing out on the meat raffles.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,998

You don`t think that xenophobic boomers are ordinary people? There`s loads of them round here.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    edited November 2019
    Jason said:

Labour managed to knock that out of the news cycle with their dodgy dossier.

The dodgy dossier which has comprehensively unravelled. I don't think voters will forget that Corbyn interview, and I'm pretty certain the Tories won't let them either. Gosh, Francis, you really are a jellyfish. If the Tories were polling 50% and Corbyn did an interview stating he hated Jews, you'd still find reasons to be worried.

A lot of people perhaps 40 million plus voters didn't see it, I haven't seen a millisecond of it, but I knew Corbyn of old, so it wasn't that surprising... the total electorate is apparently 45.7million as at Dec 2018
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,363
    edited November 2019
    3,323 candidates are standing at the election, although only 3,322 of them are able to be elected. The reason is the death of the independent candidate in Rutland Melton, Anthony Watchorn. He remains on the ballot paper and the election goes ahead on 12th December. (This wouldn't be the case if he was a party candidate). In the event of his election, there is an automatic by-election.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Feels like an age since the last opinion poll. Starting to get the shakes.

• Jason said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

Am I the only one who's intensely relaxed about Boris ditching Neil? Why risk the possibility of a Chernobyl-level event? And given that Labour's resorting to dirty tricks with their dodgy NHS dossiers, I see no reason why the Tories shouldn't try to shaft Labour in every way imaginable, including this one.

All I know is May being chicken cut through to non political types I knew, and I suspect Boris being chicken will as well. If something is tough, as a leader, you're supposed to overcome it, not wet your pants and skip it, trusting that no one is going to care.
    Except May didn't do _any_ debates, whereas Boris isdoesn't work if people see Boris on stage with Corbyn, who is after all his only rival for the premiership.
    It won't be exactly the same, so it may not be quite as effective, but it is still a hook to hang on him - because no one seems to be unde
    Given he loses if he simply does not win by enough, I think its more of a risk to be a coward - be bold Boris, be brave, be optimistic. Is that not what he is always telling us? Why suddenly walking on eggshells and restricting himself?
    kle4, you are not a Boris supporter, and the fact that you waing's a political calculation, and two weeks from a general election, Boris would be quite mad if he agreed to be interviewed by Andrew Neill.

Why risk blowing a 10 point lead?
    I doubt it is 10 points at the moment, I think it is definitely sub 10 now.
    You think that the Corbyn interview and the ensuing headlines will make the polls narrow even more? Well if that does turn out to be true after the worst two days in Corbyn's leadership.......
    Labour managed to knock that out of the news cycle with their dodgy dossier.
    It's not about narrow partisan advantage, it's about being subject to proper scrutiny as is his duty as someone asking for the privilege to lead this great country. Yes, Neil will rough him up a bit. That is his job, on behalf of the electorate. Democracy is not just about counting votes. It's also about an informed electorate and free and fair debate.
    If Johnson is allowed to duck this it is a slap in the face of voters and undermines any claim he would have to having won fairly. He should not be surprised to find many voters unwilling to treat him as a legitimate leader, a sad outcome for those of us proud to live in a democracy. The Tories need to be very careful about this. I also think it will be worse for them if he does chicken out, but that's not the point, he still must do the interview.
  • Alistair said:

I've fed this IpsosMori Scotland poll into the POSSOM and it says

Con: 6-8
    Lab: 1
    LD: 2
    SNP: 48-50

Never trust a POSSOM is what I say.

Not gonna happen.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    It doesn't matter, the returning Labour voters will back the party in spite of him.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    17:40
    FULL-TIME
    Astana 2-1 Man Utd

Nur-Sultan erupts.

Kazakhstan champions Astana have beaten Manchester United.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,989
    Just a question - will SDLP and Alliance MPs take the Labour and Lib Dem whip respectively?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019

It's not about narrow partisan advantage, it's about being subject to proper scrutiny as is his duty as someone asking for the privilege to lead this great country. Yes, Neil will rough him up a bit. That is his job, on behalf of the electorate. Democracy is not just about counting votes. It's also about an informed electorate and free and fair debate.
    If Johnson is allowed to duck this it is a slap in the face of voters and undermines any claim he would have to having won fairly. He should not be surprised to find many voters unwilling to treat him as a legitimate leader, a sad outcome for those of us proud to live in a democracy. The Tories need to be very careful about this. I also think it will be worse for them if he does chicken out, but that's not the point, he still must do the interview.

I seem to recall Cameron refusing to be interviewed by Andrew Neil in 2015. Have I got that wrong?
    Are there any parties that haven't had a candidate suspended for either anti-semitism or Islamophobia so far? Serious question.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006
    edited November 2019
    Jason said:

kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

Am I the only one who's intensely relaxed about Boris ditching Neil? Why risk the possibility of a Chernobyl-level event? And given that Labour's resorting to dirty tricks with their dodgy NHS dossiers, I see no reason why the Tories shouldn't try to shaft Labour in every way imaginable, including this one.

All I know is May being chicken cut through to non political types I knew, and I suspect Boris being chicken will as well. If something is tough, as a leader, you're supposed to overcome it, not wet your pants and skip it, trusting that no one is going to care.
    Except May didn't do _any_ debates, whereas Boris is doing all the head-to-head ones with Corbyn, and even Corbyn hnimself is ducking out of a couple of extraneous ones, if I remember correctly. The narrative just doesn't work if people see Boris on stage with Corbyn, who is after all his only rival for the premiership.
    It won't be exactly the same, so it may not be quite as effective, but it is still a hook to hang on him - because no one seems to be under any pretence that he is not doing other things for any reason other than he is afraid of screwing up so is limiting what he does. As you yourself have put it he does not want to risk it. That is, he is frit.
    Given he loses if he simply does not win by enough, I think its more of a risk to be a coward - be bold Boris, be brave, be optimistic. Is that not what he is always telling us? Why suddenly walking on eggshells and restricting himself?
    kle4, you are not a Boris supporter, and the fact that you want him to do the interview proves that you believe there is much more for him to lose than to gain. Why the pretence? You're smart enough to know it won't make any difference to the election result, but it most certainly would be if he got skewered like Corbyn did. Everything's a political calculation, and two weeks from a general election, Boris would be quite mad if he agreed to be interviewed by Andrew Neill.

Why risk blowing a 10 point lead?
    Johnson has a reputation for being lazy, not bothering with or grasping details and being a a serial liar. If you were being honest you would admit that is the reason he will dodge being interviewed by AN.
    It is very wise of him to do run away because he is all of things and it would be cruelly exposed. It won't affect the result but it does tell us a lot about the person who is about to become our elected dictator for the next 5 years years courtesy of FPTP.
  • If the YouGov MRP model is accurate (usual caveats apply etc) then they have provided a very useful service to the potential tactical voter.

I seem to recall Cameron refusing to be interviewed by Andrew Neil in 2015.
    Was Miliband? Johnson should just do it for goodness sake.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,738

stodge said:

Been out all day on the doorsteps. That soft Tory vote is hardening. Fear of Corbyn is bringng them back onboard.
    The LibDem women of a certain age realise the game is up - and they are not going to get Dr. Sarah re-elected. Apart from the "all Tories are f*cking arseholes" guy, the only venom that has come my way have been from these women. Real face-contorting hate. Not a good look, ladies....
    Boris still proving Marmite, but when confronted with Marmite or Corbyn's Cup of Cold Sick, it's Marmite every time.
    Returning Officer will have a fun write in on the night. Knocked on one door and was told "Och noo, this is an SNP hoos....."
    I also found a UKIP/Survivalist. Thought we should all have guns to protect ourselves from the upcoming New World Order apocolypse. She'd been reading about it online. A lot.
    In the absence of a UKIP or Brexit candidate, I secured the vote of her and her husband....

All fine, your Conservative candidate my romp home by 40,000 votes and Stephen Timms in my constituency may also win by 40,000 votes but we both know neither seat is where this election is going to be decided.
    No. But the trends we detect in these seats will decide it.
    You're in Totnes right? Not sure that's a very typical seat - it maybe indicative of the Lib Dems' failure to make inroads but not of the sort of seats in the North, Midlands and Wales that the Tories need for a comfortable majority.
    The thing to note is the confused Remainer Tories are coming home.
    Along with Labour Leavers. Went to a council estate (not "social housing" - this is a full-on old-school 20's-30's council estate). The sort of place that Tory canvassers shy away from. Normally. But we got a great reception. (Kept looking at each other, going "this can't be right....")
    Boris reaches the parts other politicians can't.
    The Vote Leave sort?
    Yes. But also the "what's the point in voting, none of them ever listen" crowd.
    Those who voted in the Referendum, but not at general elections.
    Normally. We keep finding people who don't normally vote. But they will for Boris.
    You hope.
    We will find out in a fortnight......
  • Andy_JS said:

Are there any parties that haven't had a candidate suspended for either anti-semitism or Islamophobia so far? Serious question.

OMRLP?
    Brom said:

https://twitter.com/joerichlaw/status/1200044894326312960

A glowing endorsement from a very marginal seat.

She might not have backed Corbyn to be leader of the Labour Party, but she'd happily install him as leader of the United Kingdom, of course.

I mean, honestly.
    Andy_JS said:

BNP? :p
  • It's not about narrow partisan advantage, it's about being subject to proper scrutiny as is his duty as someone asking for the privilege to lead this great country. Yes, Neil will rough him up a bit. That is his job, on behalf of the electorate. Democracy is not just about counting votes. It's also about an informed electorate and free and fair debate.

I seem to recall Cameron refusing to be interviewed by Andrew Neil in 2015. Have I got that wrong?
    Is it an Etonian thing then? Scrutiny is beneath them.
  • RobD said:

I seem to recall Cameron refusing to be interviewed by Andrew Neil in 2015.
    Was Miliband? Johnson should just do it for goodness sake.
    No I don't think so. I don't think any of them agreed to it. In fact in many prior elections I think many party leaders chose [for good reason] to not go anywhere near him.
    BigRich said:

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1200099182704570370

Not so civic and joyous nationalism after all.

so is that now a safe Lab Hold,

Or with does it become a Con - Lab contest?

It's Gordon Brown's old seat. Tories used to struggle to get 10%.
  • I've just received my first bit of election literature. From the Brexit Party through the post. It follows on from the only facebook advert I have received also being from them.

It barely mentions Brexit at all, but is all about the NHS. Very defensive, with lots of reassurance that they could be trusted in that area.
    edited November 2019
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140

Bishop Auckland Labour MP Helen Goodman’s campaign literature - “Finally, I want you to know that I have always been a moderate politician. I did not back Jeremy Corbyn to be Leader of the Labour Party.”

Too little too late unless she votes against a Corbyn Queens speech.
    dr_spyn said:
    Certainly looks a bit cheeky.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,917

I've just received my first bit of election literature. From the Brexit Party through the post. It follows on from the only facebook advert I have received also being from them.

It barely mentions Brexit at all, but is all about the NHS. Very defensive, with lots of reassurance that they could be trusted in that area.

I'm in the Canterbury constituency and now getting blitzed, especially by Labour. I don't think they need to worry here. I've lumped on Canterbury being a Labour hold.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I've just received my first bit of election literature. From the Brexit Party through the post. It follows on from the only facebook advert I have received also being from them.

do you mind me asking What seat, or type of seat do you live in, ( e.g lab with a 10,000 majority)

Sounds like they are trying to nab Tory votes - building upon the manufactured NHS/Tory concerns. Are you in a marginal seat?
    Andy_JS said:

The SDP?!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161

Doesn’t make it false.
    Loads of pretty ordinary people go to working men's clubs. Cheap beer.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    edited November 2019

It won't be immigration we're worrying about in a couple of years' time. It'll be the brain drain. Just like in the 1970s.

I made a prediction a couple of years ago that by 2026, the UK would have a year of negative net migration.
    Amusingly, I just went to Migration Watch and created a "net migration" chart for "The EU8 grouping includes citizens of Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia."
    There is now negative net migration for those countries.
    MaxPB said:

Doesn’t make it false.
    “Loads”
    slade said:

Just a question - will SDLP and Alliance MPs take the Labour and Lib Dem whip respectively?

I don't think the SDLP did when they had MPs in the past, so I don't think they will again, same with the Alliance, but not having MPs in the past I may be proved wrong.
  • Andy_JS said:

The SDP?!
    The Scottish Christian Party 'Proclaiming Christ's Lordship'
  • RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Certainly looks a bit cheeky.
    I rather like his response:
    “Corbyn Labour colours are dull red – they don’t use the Tony Blair, Gordon Brown New Labour colours,” he said.
  • rcs1000 said:

It won't be immigration we're worrying about in a couple of years' time. It'll be the brain drain. Just like in the 1970s.

I made a prediction a couple of years ago that by 2026, the UK would have a year of negative net migration.
    Amusingly, I just went to Migration Watch and created a "net migration" chart for "The EU8 grouping includes citizens of Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia."
    And by 2036 we will be back to big migration with climate refugees from southern Europe avoiding the 50 degree summers. Blackpool and Margate will be fashionable global beach resorts.
    Apparently there are calls for the Labour candidate in Dundee West to be suspended.
  • MaxPB said:

Doesn’t make it false.
    “Loads”
    Yes. If Boris gets a majority, it’ll be thanks to them. You’ve obviously never been in one, but many of us do. Back in the day they were often Labour clubs. Today, not so much.
  • rcs1000 said:

Poland is suffering from the brain drain emigration it has had and its government are actively trying to encourage some of its diaspora to return home.
    I'm curious how net migration for the EU8 in the UK compares with other comparable countries that received a large number of migrants who might now return home too. I honestly don't know the answer to that.
  • It doesn't matter, the returning Labour voters will back the party in spite of him.
    Well you keep saying that. But what do you mean by 'returning voters'? Define your terms. A lot of 2017 Labour voters were new, not least from the Lib Dems who cratered in 2017. The Lib Dems are polling much better nowadays, Large numbers of Labour voters are clearly not returning to the fold, especially in the Midlands. So who and where are all these returning voters you speak of. And where are the new Labour voters to make up for those who arent coming back?
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,450
    BigRich said:

slade said:

I don't think the SDLP did when they had MPs in the past, so I don't think they will again, same with the Alliance, but not having MPs in the past I may be proved wrong.
    IIRC There was no formal acceptance of the labour party whip but the SDLP did take it informally.
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Doesn’t make it false.
    Just incredibly childish.
    edited November 2019
    @Time_to_Leave I have been to working mens clubs and they are always half empty. There’s a reason why they close down.
    edited November 2019

@Time_to_Leave I have been to working mens clubs and they are always half empty. There’s a reason why they close down.

When I`ve been they are half full.
    And with sticky carpets.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I look forward to the DT tomorrow calling a politician refusing to do the AN interview as spineless and running scared ! Oh silly me it’s Bozo of course so we won’t see zip about it !
  • speybay said:

It doesn't matter, the returning Labour voters will back the party in spite of him.
    Well you keep saying that. But what do you mean by 'returning voters'? Define your terms. A lot of 2017 Labour voters were new, not least from the Lib Dems who cratered in 2017. The Lib Dems are polling much better nowadays, Large numbers of Labour voters are clearly not returning to the fold, especially in the Midlands. So who and where are all these returning voters you speak of. And where are the new Labour voters to make up for those who arent coming back?
    Are you saying that the Remain vote is going to coalesce around Labour? Some will, certainly. But in the same numbers as 2017 and in the same places where they are needed? I very much doubt it.
    Whatever, you have no evidence for your repetitive point, just fear. In truth it sounds a bit unhinged and, dare i say, slightly, childish.
    Andy_JS said:

Apparently there are calls for the Labour candidate in Dundee West to be suspended.

What have they done?
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Ever the pessimist, they're actually half full.
  • spudgfsh said:

BigRich said:

slade said:

IIRC There was no formal acceptance of the labour party whip but the SDLP did take it informally.
    Yes, the SDLP did take the whip. Whereas Alliance are the LDs' sister party.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Just saw Gove and Stanley J at C4. So they’ve got a Johnson.
  • I've just received my first bit of election literature. From the Brexit Party through the post. It follows on from the only facebook advert I have received also being from them.

I'm in the Canterbury constituency and now getting blitzed, especially by Labour. I don't think they need to worry here. I've lumped on Canterbury being a Labour hold.
    Martin Baxter gives Canterbury to the Tories by a margin of 7.6% of the vote.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    BigRich said:

Andy_JS said:

What have they done?
    Insufficiently anti-Semitic?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349

Charles said:

That's current spending.

It doesn't consider capacity utilisation.

If - for example - our schools and hospitals are full to bursting we have the options of:

(i) increasing capex to build more facilities, with the increased overhead and associated running costs;
    (ii) providing a sub-optimal service by cramming more kids into the classroom; or
    (iii) reducing the demand

In any event, your calculation above doesn't take into account the limited capacity

It also doesn't take into account opportunity cost. If we are taking in someone unskilled on minimum wage via free movement but are trying to manage numbers [due to capacity etc] then do we take in one fewer highly skilled migrant that could contribute much more?
    Indeed. This isn’t particularly difficult, each immigrant should be able to prove their worth to the country they wish to immigrate to - whether that’s due to having a high income, providing a needed skill or be investing in the country. There’s plenty of scope for short-term farm workers, students and refugees. Countries such as Australia also operate various guest worker visas, so someone can go there and work for a few months whilst travelling. The important factor is that only citizens have recourse to state benefits and the right to vote. People should have to show their loyalty to the country before being able to take from it.

Martin Baxter gives Canterbury to the Tories by a margin of 7.6% of the vote.
    Bet365 have the Tories down as favourites, I'm thinking different and took advantage.
  • Andy_JS said:

OMRLP?
    I understand they hate Belgians and Georgians instead. Not the Georgians from the Caucasus but the ones from around Atlanta in the US.

Andy_JS said:

OMRLP?
    I understand they hate Belgians and Georgians instead. Not the Georgians from the Caucasus but the ones from around Atlanta in the US.
    South Georgians got off lightly.

rcs1000 said:

And by 2036 we will be back to big migration with climate refugees from southern Europe avoiding the 50 degree summers. Blackpool and Margate will be fashionable global beach resorts.
    We're only 17 years from 2036 (i.e. it's nearer than 2000), so the absolute increase in temperature is unlikely to be such that it causes mass climate migrations. And even if there were (which there won't be), we won't get (many) as we won't be in the EU, and there are plenty of places in the EU with terrible demographics they can move to.

Finally, adding even 2 degrees to Blackpool and Margate only gets you temperatures approaching Paris Plage today, and that's not exactly Cap Ferrat.

Andy_JS said:

OMRLP?
    I've seen the Real Housewives of Atlanta, so I understand (but don't condone) their prejudices.
  • KeithJennerKeithJenner Posts: 99
    edited November 2019
    BigRich said:

do you mind me asking What seat, or type of seat do you live in, ( e.g lab with a 10,000 majority)
    Stocky said:

Sounds like they are trying to nab Tory votes - building upon the manufactured NHS/Tory concerns. Are you in a marginal seat?
    Barnsley East. Safe Labour seat, but also very strongly leave. If the Brexit Party were to win a seat (which they won't) then this would be one of the possibilities. I can see why I have heard for them.
    To be honest, it's nice to hear from someone other than Labour. :)
    I was a bit surprised at the focus on the NHS, as I was expecting more of a direct appeal to vote for them over Conservative based on Brexit policy but yes, maybe this does make sense as a way of appealing to leavers who are undecided between the two.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

I am somewhat surprised at this confidence.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Has anyone yet been suspended who is in with a chance of winning?
    alex_ said:

Has anyone yet been suspended who is in with a chance of winning?

The SNP candidate in the tweets upthread.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,594
    saddened said:

Doesn’t make it false.
    Just incredibly childish.
    Just accept it, the Conservatives are relying on this demographic.
  • Sandpit said:

Charles said:

That's current spending.

If - for example - our schools and hospitals are full to bursting we have the options of:

(i) increasing capex to build more facilities, with the increased overhead and associated running costs;
    (ii) providing a sub-optimal service by cramming more kids into the classroom; or

In any event, your calculation above doesn't take into account the limited capacity

It also doesn't take into account opportunity cost. If we are taking in someone unskilled on minimum wage via free movement but are trying to manage numbers [due to capacity etc] then do we take in one fewer highly skilled migrant that could contribute much more?
    Indeed. This isn’t particularly difficult, each immigrant should be able to prove their worth to the country they wish to immigrate to - whether that’s due to having a high income, providing a needed skill or be investing in the country. There’s plenty of scope for short-term farm workers, students and refugees. Countries such as Australia also operate various guest worker visas, so someone can go there and work for a few months whilst travelling. The important factor is that only citizens have recourse to state benefits and the right to vote. People should have to show their loyalty to the country before being able to take from it.
    The problem is the mismatch between the "skills" that the country actually needs because of its demographics and economy, including lots of low skilled people, and the language of the tory party (and commentators on here) expecting immigrants to be only high income bankers, scientists and footballers, who are of course welcome but will only make up a small proportion of migration.

When voters see more low skilled immigrants from Africa and Asia replacing those from Europe the Tory leave coalition will split.

And the contribution of immigrants may be they raise great kids, or they are an empathetic and responsible carer, they deliver service with a smile at the local restaurant. And shock horror, some of them will not make a positive contribution because they are fallible humans just like people born here.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    What’s the major problem with spending too much and increasing the debt if it doesn’t damage business and the economy?

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Just remembered I was going to bet agianst the SNP kirkcaldy candidate because he was a vile transphobic twat.

Who'd have thought a total bigot would harbour other terrible views?
    edited November 2019
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

That's current spending.

There are two ways to do this, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Firstly, there is the US system where there are many, many different classes of visas. You can be an investor. A manager. An inter-corporate transfer. A student. A lottery winner. A genius. A family member. Quotas for specific professions. This, by and large, gets the right people into the country, but it comes with significant costs, in implementation and in the assumption the government knows the right numbers of people at any time.
    Secondly, there is the free market way, where you basically trust the free market to find the right people. That's the old US way. (And is used for US-Canada, Australia-New Zealand, or inter-EEA.) That means you get people who add value, and people who don't. But you also let the market decide, and you remove transactional costs.
    I personally prefer a hybrid system, where you have a "fee" to come. (Of course there would be rules such as no criminal record. It could be implemented via compulsory health insurance, as in Switzerland, or a one entrance charge. This could be on a sliding scale with age, so that a 20 year old pays a tenth of a 60 year old.) This means there are negligible transaction and implementation costs, it augments government revenue, and it means there is little incentive for low skilled workers to come.
    New thread.
  • dr_spyn said:

That's significant as it is currently a Labour seat by a tiny tiny margin.
    Tough one for the voters of Kirkcaldy; do you vote for the anti-Semitic candidate, or party?
  • rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

That's current spending.

There are two ways to do this, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Firstly, there is the US system where there are many, many different classes of visas. You can be an investor. A manager. An inter-corporate transfer. A student. A lottery winner. A genius. A family member. Quotas for specific professions. This, by and large, gets the right people into the country, but it comes with significant costs, in implementation and in the assumption the government knows the right numbers of people at any time.
    Secondly, there is the free market way, where you basically trust the free market to find the right people. That's the old US way. (And is used for US-Canada, Australia-New Zealand, or inter-EEA.) That means you get people who add value, and people who don't. But you also let the market decide, and you remove transactional costs.
    I personally prefer a hybrid system, where you have a "fee" to come. (Of course there would be rules such as no criminal record. It could be implemented via compulsory health insurance, as in Switzerland, or a one entrance charge. This could be on a sliding scale with age, so that a 20 year old pays a tenth of a 60 year old.) This means there are negligible transaction and implementation costs, it augments government revenue, and it means there is little incentive for low skilled workers to come.
    With our demographics, a service based economy, and all parties looking to invest more in social care and health to cope with a booming retired population, why are we pretending we dont need low skilled workers?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    I am rewatching the dystopian BBC drama "1990," originally shown in 1977-8. I found it quite interesting that even though Britain is depicted as a totalitarian state run by a Labour government in cahoots with the trades unions, following national bankruptcy (I wonder where on earth those ideas came from), it remains a member of the EEC and a signatory of the ECHR!

Obviously the scriptwriters' imaginations were too limited ...
  • rcs1000 said:

Which, of course, is exactly what some people voted for.
  • I think Boris ducking Neil is a serious mistake. And a stupid one.

I find myself instantly losing respect for him at the prospect of it. Admittedly, I didn’t have much of it to start with, but I thought he did ok at the QT special last Friday night.

Getting a ”frit” meme snowballing is a horrible label to have hung round your neck in the last 2 weeks before polling day when you’re relying on your best PM lead and a ‘balls of steel’ reputation.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Yes, there’s plenty of examples around the world of immigration systems, and we should look at what works and what doesn’t when it comes to designing our own.
    I imagine that you and I, who have both lived and worked extensively abroad, could quickly work out something that allows for skilled and key workers, while preventing immigrant Big Issue sellers, organised beggars and child benefit exports. Or in California, thousands of H1(B)s displacing tech jobs to companies like Tata.
    As you say, there’s a fine line between too much government intervention / bureaucracy and letting the free market work as it does best.
    speybay said:

Are you saying that the Remain vote is going to coalesce around Labour? Some will, certainly. But in the same numbers as 2017 and in the same places where they are needed? I very much doubt it.
    Whatever, you have no evidence for your repetitive point, just fear. In truth it sounds a bit unhinged and, dare i say, slightly, childish.

Oh. That's nice.

Truth is, we're all guessing a bit here aren't we? My thesis is, quite simply, that not that much has changed since 2017 and we all know what happened then.

This time around, the Conservatives have probably squeezed all that they're going to out of the Brexit Party vote, whereas the Lib Dems still have further to drop. The Labour habit vote is very sticky, and Labour drones on endlessly about the NHS for a reason: it works. Despite all the awful headlines Corbyn's dreadful leadership ratings are improving, Johnson's are moving in the other direction.

I said when this all kicked off that I thought the Tories would either get just over the finishing line or fall just short. I now think it more likely that they'll fall short. The Conservative seats won in 2017 probably represent, in broad-brush terms, the maximum extent of toleration for austerity, which has been going on for a decade now. Labour's vast expenditure plans, as ludicrous as they appear, will probably attract more of the lower middle income swing voters that they need to win back than they'll repel. Brexit ought to help them a little, but most of the Labour Leave seats are held by large margins and the surviving Brexit Party candidates will get in the way as well. Taking into account all of this and the number of marginal defences they have against the SNP, the Tories may very well go slightly backwards.

Once again, this is all an educated guess. One could just as easily argue that the YouGov MRP called it right last time and will, therefore, probably be about right this time. But their projected national share of the vote (Con 43, Lab 32, LD 14) just doesn't smell right. The polls have been showing a slow but steady improvement for Labour since the start of the campaign, we've already had a couple of 34% results so far this week, and there's still a fortnight to go until the big day. And yes, the Tories were doing slightly better when all the postal votes went out, but only about 1 in 5 votes will be cast in this fashion.

We shall soon find out if I'm on the right track here, because we shall see further tightening in the polls over the next few days. This does not necessarily preclude a Conservative majority but, unless UNS proves to be a very poor guide for this election and the Tories do manage to stack up the votes where they need them most (i.e. with outsized swings in the Midlands and the North,) then the likelihood of a Hung Parliament increases, of course, with each percentage point reduction in the Con-Lab spread.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

speybay said:

Truth is, we're all guessing a bit here aren't we? My thesis is, quite simply, that not that much has changed since 2017 and we all know what happened then.

This time around, the Conservatives have probably squeezed all that they're going to out of the Brexit Party vote, whereas the Lib Dems still have further to drop. The Labour habit vote is very sticky, and Labour drones on endlessly about the NHS for a reason: it works. Despite all the awful headlines Corbyn's dreadful leadership ratings are improving, Johnson's are moving in the other direction.

I said when this all kicked off that I thought the Tories would either get just over the finishing line or fall just short. I now think it more likely that they'll fall short. The Conservative seats won in 2017 probably represent, in broad-brush terms, the maximum extent of toleration for austerity, which has been going on for a decade now. Labour's vast expenditure plans, as ludicrous as they appear, will probably attract more of the lower middle income swing voters that they need to win back than they'll repel. Brexit ought to help them a little, but most of the Labour Leave seats are held by large margins and the surviving Brexit Party candidates will get in the way as well. Taking into account all of this and the number of marginal defences they have against the SNP, the Tories may very well go slightly backwards.

Once again, this is all an educated guess. One could just as easily argue that the YouGov MRP called it right last time and will, therefore, probably be about right this time. But their projected national share of the vote (Con 43, Lab 32, LD 14) just doesn't smell right. The polls have been showing a slow but steady improvement for Labour since the start of the campaign, we've already had a couple of 34% results so far this week, and there's still a fortnight to go until the big day. And yes, the Tories were doing slightly better when all the postal votes went out, but only about 1 in 5 votes will be cast in this fashion.

We shall soon find out if I'm on the right track here, because we shall see further tightening in the polls over the next few days. This does not necessarily preclude a Conservative majority but, unless UNS proves to be a very poor guide for this election and the Tories do manage to stack up the votes where they need them most (i.e. with outsized swings in the Midlands and the North,) then the likelihood of a Hung Parliament increases, of course, with
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    What do you do when the post you make comes up ‘to long’? I can delete up thread but it isn’t the answer, I put blockquote in but it doesn’t work what is the solution?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I think Boris ducking Neil is a serious mistake. And a stupid one.

I find myself instantly losing respect for him at the prospect of it. Admittedly, I didn’t have much of it to start with, but I thought he did ok at the QT special last Friday night.

Getting a ”frit” meme snowballing is a horrible label to have hung round your neck in the last 2 weeks before polling day when you’re relying on your best PM lead and a ‘balls of steel’ reputation.

Neil is a competent interviewer but he is also a self-important bully. Look at the stuff he retweets about himself, e.g.
    "It appears that
    @afneil
    is on a one-man mission to clean up politics in the UK, by exposing the lies, exaggerations and deceptions of every party’s politicians. He must be striking fear into the stone-cold hearts of most of those in Westminster. Thank goodness. Bravo, Sir."
    So let's not appoint him a living national treasure, bulwark of our democracy, etc. and let's not condemn Johnson for ducking out of the interview until he actually ducks out of it. It's very possible he is stringing things out so that we can continue to laugh at the sheer ineptitude of Labour in putting forward Corbyn without guarantees, and so that he can extract concessions from Neil. For instance it would be reasonable to stipulate that Arcuri is sub judice and off limits, and that's a concession he might get if Neil is desperate enough.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    I see Johnson doesn't care about the planet then.
    #ch4noshow
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260

I think Boris ducking Neil is a serious mistake. And a stupid one.

Agree with you. It will look bad for both BBC and Boris if he ducks it.
    Not sure he has a "balls of steel" reputation though.
    Do lots of people think he has balls of steel?
  • kinabalu said:

I see Johnson doesn't care about the planet then.
    #ch4noshow

They turned down Gove.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1200124563067166720?s=20
  • dr_spyn said:
    Ruth George is busy hiding replies to her tweets:

https://twitter.com/RuthGeorgeMP/status/1200049865293811713/hidden
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dead thread
  • PaulM said:

BigRich said:

dr_spyn said:

so is that now a safe Lab Hold,
    Or with does it become a Con - Lab contest?
    People will turn up and vote ‘SNP’ anyway without caring who the candidate is I would think.
    Looks like the betting hasn't been suspended yet and SNP still odds-on ?
    SNP still 1.33 fav, Unibet have Labour on offer at 3.3 ... FREE MONEY surely?
This discussion has been closed.