Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s Johnson’s bad luck that the floods have happened in Yorks

Comments

• Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Floater said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

This is rubbish, Doncaster North is held by Ed Miliband and is not even in the top 200 Tory target seats and Doncaster Central is not even in the top 100 Tory target seats, even Don Valley is only 69th Tory target but Boris still went there anyway to help despite voters buying properties on the flood plain being surprised when it floods

Yes. Its bollocks.
    I think it is unlikely to make a tangible difference but Boris was awkward and lacked empathy. Mind you, it is almost impossible to offer any words of comfort to those who have suffered flooding. Over the years in business I dealt with many flood victims in our area, before serious sea defences were put in place, and you just feel utterly helpless and the smell is beyond belief and all invasive in peoples homes

It is a personal disaster for each and every owner and will take months, even years, to recover from
    One day does not make a difference, agreed. But if every second time that Mr Johnson meets ordinary people, he gets heckled and he has no convincing response, then he is in trouble.

John Major was surprisingly good at meeting the public, and surprisingly won an election for it. With Mr Johnson I'm not so sure.
    Assume the same applies to Corbyn?
    Yes, the same applies to Corbyn. But Corbyn has shown himself to be fairly good when meeting the public. If the election was only about who performs better when meeting the people the Corbyn would win the election. (no I do not think that the election is only about who performs better when meeting the public)
    Is that when Corbyn meets the public or when surrounds himself with adoring crowds?
    The public. Example: after the Grenfell Tower Fire (just one example)
    Obviously there would be no Labour supporters in social housing in London
    You are claiming that many people personally affected in the Fire were prepared to play party politcis in its aftermath? I find that opinion sick and offensive.
    I can’t help what you take offence at, but surely the most receptive areas for labour at that time were cities particularly London, and Corbyn is from London. I cannot see how pointing out that he might not receive a poor reception there is somehow sick.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

Corbyn would never be in a pub. And that’s the thing. He’s a joyless puritanical ideologue who never talks about anything other than politics- and his particular brand of it.

I’d much rather have a night out with Boris. That would be much more fun.

It's tedious how people who've never met politicians are dogmatically certain what they're like. I've been in an Islington pub with Corbyn and several others - and I'm no kind of pub regular, and suspect he goes more than I do.

Sure, we chatted about (Italian) politics - a common interest, just as we do here. I wouldn't describe him as fun-loving - he's fairly self-effacing in private, though a good listener. Boris is naturally boisterous. Depends what sort of company you like, really. I'd prefer an evening with Jeremy, but that's because I like quietly pleasant people.
    "boisterous" = wandering hands, drinking too much, losing a shoe, and soiling himself in the back of a taxi.
    If BJ has shat himself in the back of a taxi, i am sure he will want to keep that quiet! Mind you he has form for soiling things! Think back to earlier this year when he soiled some living room furniture whilst shouting at his partner to "get off my fucking laptop!". I think BJ soils the office of Prime Minister. The Tory/ Brexit supporting media are throwing everything at Corbyn. I think they are going to assist Corbyn by people thinking I am going to vote Labour anyway, so the Tories cannot govern without proper parliamentry scrutiny.
    They aren't, diehard Remainer fanatics like you might but the Tories are now doing even better with working class voters than they are nationally with both polls out today and heading for a comfortable majority
    I would not describe myself as a "diehard fanatic". I have not been on an anti-brexit march or donated money to anti-brexit organisations or delievered leaflets. I am someone who thinks Brexit in any form is worse for this country than continued membership of the EU.
    You are a diehard Remainer fanatic as your every post proves
    If you think putting up taxes makes you worse off and is basically stupid. Why is screwing up the economy and making everyone poorer any different due to Brexit? It is not being a fanatic to critise a poor decision when misinformed people made a historic mistake that will impact my standard of living....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The latest Northern Ireland polling shows the nationalist vote higher than the unionist vote. Should that actually happen in the GE it would be seismic. The direction of travel is only one way. Johnson’s deal will just hurry it along a little.
    https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1194716512411631617?s=21

It actually has the DUP still ahead on 28% to 24% for SF and the AP third on 16%.

The Johnson Deal of course helps avoid the hard border in Ireland which really would have pushed a United Ireland along
    I think you have to add DUP to UUP and SF to SDLP to show unionist and nationalist votes.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Looks like OGH is suffering from BDS (Boris derangement syndrome). Can anyone name a political leader who looked good from a natural disaster?

It wasn't a natural disaster, but Mrs Thatcher after the Brighton Hotel bombing reacted very well. Mr Blair reacted very well to the death of Princess Diana and acted decisivly in the Foot and Mouth crisis. Mr Obama reacted well to several natural disasters. These three examples are are of "good leaders" regardless of one's political leanings. Mrs May and Mr Brown were bad at this kind of thing and were not "good leaders". We will soon see which way Mr Johnson falls in this respect.
    Most farmers still haven't forgiven Blair for his actions in the F&M crisis.
    Funny but I was thinking about the floods and the comparison with the F&M disaster, Richard. The latter was much worse of course.

I can't speak for 'most farmers' but you'd have to say the episode didn't help Blair, although I think it was more a case of his departments and cabinet colleagues reacting slowly and weakly rather than the fault of the PM himself.

If it's true farmers still hate him, and I can believe you, it may be because they never had much love for him in the first place. In other crises however he was capable of showing a deft touch. The death of Diana is a good example; likewise his intervention in the Balkans.

Thatcher was brilliant after Brighton. Obama generally got it right. May was hopeless at Grenfell. Brown was generally awkward.

I'm surprised how awkward Johnson has proved so far. The floods won't have done him much electoral damage, but his minders should perhaps keep him in more.
    Yep I was only passing comment on the idea that Blair handled F&M well. It was over 3 weeks from the first identified case before the Government sought help from the military or extra financial help for the veterinary service and over 4 weeks before they held a cross departmental meeting to try and get on top of the emergency. That allowed the disease to spread right across the country. Nor was there any contingency planning for an outbreak.

The idea that Blair acted decisively as Eristdoof claims is simply untrue.
    Don’t point out that Blair probably got a bad reception from farmers as they are more likely to vote Tory to Eristdoof - he’ll find it sick and offensive.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Pierrot said:

The proposal (IPPR report) is to abolish IHT and introduce a "lifetime gift tax" with a £125k threshold for each recipient. Currently IHT affects only 7% of estates.

What an actual politician would do with a good policy idea like this would be to set the threshold at a million pounds per recipient, then after a few years start progressively dropping it so that 10 years later it was at say £250K, and leave the final £125K to fiscal drag.
    The move from taxing the estate to taxing the recipient is spot on. And I like the "lifetime gifts" allowance element.

I think 125k is probably on the low-side for total lifetime receipts. But I'm willing to compromise.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161

HYUFD said:

The latest Northern Ireland polling shows the nationalist vote higher than the unionist vote. Should that actually happen in the GE it would be seismic. The direction of travel is only one way. Johnson’s deal will just hurry it along a little.

It actually has the DUP still ahead on 28% to 24% for SF and the AP third on 16%.

The Johnson Deal of course helps avoid the hard border in Ireland which really would have pushed a United Ireland along
    I think you have to add DUP to UUP and SF to SDLP to show unionist and nationalist votes.
    The DUP and UUP and Alliance combined are over 50% and most Alliance voters are soft Unionists
  • Options
    Opens dictionary, looks up definition of arrogant....finds this...

https://twitter.com/Ibra_official/status/1194719897592315904?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pierrot said:

The proposal (IPPR report) is to abolish IHT and introduce a "lifetime gift tax" with a £125k threshold for each recipient. Currently IHT affects only 7% of estates.

What an actual politician would do with a good policy idea like this would be to set the threshold at a million pounds per recipient, then after a few years start progressively dropping it so that 10 years later it was at say £250K, and leave the final £125K to fiscal drag.
    The move from taxing the estate to taxing the recipient is spot on. And I like the "lifetime gifts" allowance element.

I think 125k is probably on the low-side for total lifetime receipts. But I'm willing to compromise.
    You may be, the average voter would not, it would be Labour's poll tax but worse an outrageous act of hard left punitive taxation hitting millions of ordinary people.

Labour's gift tax
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pierrot said:

You may be, the average voter would not, it would be Labour's poll tax but worse an outrageous act of hard left punitive taxation hitting millions of ordinary people.

Labour's gift tax
    What about the move from taxing the estate to the recipient? That seems like common sense to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pierrot said:

Labour's gift tax
    What about the move from taxing the estate to the recipient? That seems like common sense to me.
    It isn't, it just taxes the recipient of an inheritance and any other gift they may receive, e.g. help to get on the property ladder from relatives.

It is outrageous and the Tories would rightly launch attack ad after attack ad at Labour on its gift tax in the press and in Party broadcasts and leaflets and posters
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The DUP and UUP and Alliance combined are over 50% and most Alliance voters are soft Unionists
    Unionists also ahead when including the full results. https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1194718137511534592?s=21
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112

Pierrot said:

If it's in the manifesto at all, I won't be surprised if the proposed threshold is much higher than £125k.
    HYUFD said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Telegraph saying 110 seat majority for Tories on their new poll.

No 2017 flashbacks here, nossir.
    Wait till you see the new dementia tax...
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/01/labour-tax-plan-could-stop-parents-passing-on-homes-to-kids-10095642/
    Of course in Leaverstan, £125 000 per child from an inheritance is very generous, it mostly becomes an issue in Southern Remania. What percentage of estates are going to be hit in Workington, and in Wimbledon?

Inheritance taxes are possibly the most effective form of wealth redistribution around. It is why the wealthy do not like them but the poor do.
    The average house price is £226,r tax there is

Thanks to Osborne's tax reforms yes, a lifetime gift threshold of £125k ie less than the average house price, would ensure a majority of voters would have to pay it on inheriting, getting help on the property ladder etc.
    In 2017 the average inheritance was £119k. Agreed that from a Tory point of view a threshold of £125k would be an ideal policy for Labour to try to sell to swing voters.

• Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

the term `soft unionist' is full of ambiguity and rather unhelpful in NI where a lot of the conflict is precisely because one group labels another i dont know where you get that analysis for the Alliance party from but it is sweeping.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,919
    HYUFD said:

It isn't, it just taxes the recipient of an inheritance and any other gift they may receive, e.g. help to get on the property ladder from relatives.

It is outrageous and the Tories would rightly launch attack ad after attack ad at Labour on its gift tax in the press and in Party broadcasts and leaflets and posters

I was surprised at how popular the policy was amongst friends actually.
    There's a lot of anger among young people about those who can afford a house (get given a deposit from parents) and those who can't.

It's a sensible policy, but I'm unconvinced that it would be popular electorally. Setting the limit much higher would be smart. £1m seems a nice round number.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

https://twitter.com/GeoffNorcott/status/1194633658772025350

The man most responsible for Corbyn as possible next PM.

It may be just exhaustion but he doesn’t look well.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Foxy said:

Yes, the floods may well be this years black swan. Labour need to pin neglect of flood defences on the Tories.
    Indeed, the Tories cut a lot of spending on flood defences since 2010. I remember when Cameron was PM, he suffered collateral damage over the issue.

There comes a time when you have a months rain in a day no amount of flood defences can prevent damage to low lying property
    The point is money can be found in London and the South east but other places like Yorkshire or North Wales don't have flood mitigation schemes implemented. I agree that nature can be a fickle beast and it must be appalling for the people affected.
    FFS. Have you not noticed the complete lack of flooding in Sheffield? Those defences have probably contributed to the problems in Fishlake.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

If it's in the manifesto at all, I won't be surprised if the proposed threshold is much higher than £125k.
    HYUFD said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/01/labour-tax-plan-could-stop-parents-passing-on-homes-to-kids-10095642/
    Of course in Leaverstan, £125 000 per child from an inheritance is very generous, it mostly becomes an issue in Southern Remania. What percentage of estates are going to be hit in Workington, and in Wimbledon?

Inheritance taxes are possibly the most effective form of wealth redistribution around. It is why the wealthy do not like them but the poor do.

Thanks to Osborne's tax reforms yes, a lifetime gift threshold of £125k ie less than the average house price, would ensure a majority of voters would have to pay it on inheriting, getting help on the property ladder etc.
    In 2017 the average inheritance was £119k. Agreed that from a Tory point of view a threshold of £125k would be an ideal policy for Labour to try to sell to swing voters.

Now it's being floated in the press they're almost better off just going ahead and announcing it with a threshold of a million pounds, rather than saying they're not going to do it and everybody thinking they're lying and they're going to do it at £125k.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,316
    HYUFD said:

This is rubbish, Doncaster North is held by Ed Miliband and is not even in the top 200 Tory target seats and Doncaster Central is not even in the top 100 Tory target seats, even Don Valley is only 69th Tory target but Boris still went there anyway to help despite voters buying properties on the flood plain being surprised when it floods

It may be rubbish, but blaming people for "buying properties on the flood plain" is sadly typical of Johnson's conservative party. The Undeserving Poor, eh?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,807
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Yes, the floods may well be this years black swan. Labour need to pin neglect of flood defences on the Tories.
    Indeed, the Tories cut a lot of spending on flood defences since 2010. I remember when Cameron was PM, he suffered collateral damage over the issue.

There comes a time when you have a months rain in a day no amount of flood defences can prevent damage to low lying property
    The point is money can be found in London and the South east but other places like Yorkshire or North Wales don't have flood mitigation schemes implemented. I agree that nature can be a fickle beast and it must be appalling for the people affected.
    FFS. Have you not noticed the complete lack of flooding in Sheffield? Those defences have probably contributed to the problems in Fishlake.
    Err, the first place affected by the flooding was Meadowhall in Sheffield.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    rkrkrk said:

HYUFD said:

I was surprised at how popular the policy was amongst friends actually.
    There's a lot of anger among young people about those who can afford a house (get given a deposit from parents) and those who can't.

It's a sensible policy, but I'm unconvinced that it would be popular electorally. Setting the limit much higher would be smart. £1m seems a nice round number.
    You miss the point of being a Socialist if you let rich bastards keep a million quid.

Milk them. Milk them! Take it all....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Funny, I don't recall seeing Meadowhall under water like in 2007.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

Corbyn would never be in a pub. And that’s the thing. He’s a joyless puritanical ideologue who never talks about anything other than politics- and his particular brand of it.

I’d much rather have a night out with Boris. That would be much more fun.

It's tedious how people who've never met politicians are dogmatically certain what they're like. I've been in an Islington pub with Corbyn and several others - and I'm no kind of pub regular, and suspect he goes more than I do.

Sure, we chatted about (Italian) politics - a common interest, just as we do here. I wouldn't describe him as fun-loving - he's fairly self-effacing in private, though a good listener. Boris is naturally boisterous. Depends what sort of company you like, really. I'd prefer an evening with Jeremy, but that's because I like quietly pleasant people.
    "boisterous" = wandering hands, drinking too much, losing a shoe, and soiling himself in the back of a taxi.
    If BJ has shat himself in the back of a taxi, i am sure he will want to keep that quiet! Mind you he has form for soiling things! Think back to earlier this year when he soiled some living room furniture whilst shouting at his partner to "get off my fucking laptop!". I think BJ soils the office of Prime Minister. The Tory/ Brexit supporting media are throwing everything at Corbyn. I think they are going to assist Corbyn by people thinking I am going to vote Labour anyway, so the Tories cannot govern without proper parliamentry scrutiny.
    They aren't, diehard Remainer fanatics like you might but the Tories are now doing even better with working class voters than they are nationally with both polls out today and heading for a comfortable majority
    I would not describe myself as a "diehard fanatic". I have not been on an anti-brexit march or donated money to anti-brexit organisations or delievered leaflets. I am someone who thinks Brexit in any form is worse for this country than continued membership of the EU.
    You are a diehard Remainer fanatic as your every post proves
    You are a slavish regurgitator of your party line, whatever it might be on any given day.

As your every post proves.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

It may be rubbish, but blaming people for "buying properties on the flood plain" is sadly typical of Johnson's conservative party. The Undeserving Poor, eh?
    It’s certainly of a piece with criticising the Grenfell dead for following official advice.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

From what I can tell, Fishlake is not as poor as neighbouring Hatfield and Stainforth. Sky News went inside the home of an Arsenal fan and the poor guy's man cave was flooded.
  • Options

Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

The proposal (IPPR report) is to abolish IHT

What an actual politician .
    HYUFD said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Thanks to Osborne's
    In 2017 the

Now it's being floated in the press they're almost better off just going ahead and announcing it with a threshold of a million pounds, rather than saying they're not going to do it and everybody thinking they're lying and they're going to do it at £125k.
    The difficulty is more the tracking of a lifetime gift allowance, and in fact little money would be raised until it was exhausted on such a high threshold.

I would suggest a £125 000 rate from the start, but not at a 40% band. Perhaps 10% at £125 000, 20% at £250 000, 40% at £500 000, off the top of my head. By keeping the rate low it normalises IHT.

Not quite the LD policy, but not too far off. Taxing the recipient rather than the estate is a big step in the right direction.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/everyone-a-stake.

In practice, it is likely that wills would be rewritten in favour of grand children as well as children. That would probably keep tax receipts down, but rather than inherit as a fifty something, many more would inherit in their twenties, when it is more useful.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Funny, I don't recall seeing Meadowhall under water like in 2007.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/08/we-had-to-buy-blankets-floods-force-shoppers-to-spend-night-in-meadowhall?__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. Its bollocks.
    I think it is unlikely to make a tangible difference but Boris was awkward and lacked empathy. Mind you, it is almost impossible to offer any words of comfort to those who have suffered flooding. Over the years in business I dealt with many flood victims in our area, before serious sea defences were put in place, and you just feel utterly helpless and the smell is beyond belief and all invasive in peoples homes

It is a personal disaster for each and every owner and will take months, even years, to recover from
    One day does not make a difference, agreed. But if every second time that Mr Johnson meets ordinary people, he gets heckled and he has no convincing response, then he is in trouble.

John Major was surprisingly good at meeting the public, and surprisingly won an election for it. With Mr Johnson I'm not so sure.
    John Major was astonishing in 92. The environment was pretty hostile, but he faced up to the public and tried his best. Enough people respected him for that to swing enough key marginals to stop Kinnock, who badly suffered from over-confidence.

Who is over-confident in 2019?

Who is facing up to a dissatisfied public and trying their best?

Correctly answer those two questions and you can make some cash. I can well remember how shocked I was in 1992 at some of the terrific Tory results. One thing is guaranteed about 2019: a lot of people are going to be in total shock on the morning of 13 December.
  • Options
    A reminder of what Sheffield looked like in 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSqh1-d7edc
  • Options
    Tories drifting in Brecon & Radnorshire:

Con 4/5
    LD 11/10
    Bxp 50/1
    Lab 50/1
  • Options

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. Its bollocks.

John Major was astonishing in 92. The environment was pretty hostile, but he faced up to the public and tried his best. Enough people respected him for that to swing enough key marginals to stop Kinnock, who badly suffered from over-confidence.

Correctly answer those two questions and you can make some cash. I can well remember how shocked I was in 1992 at some of the terrific Tory results. One thing is guaranteed about 2019: a lot of people are going to be in total shock on the morning of 13 December.
    John Major is a genuinely nice guy, and that came across when meeting the public, even a public initially antagonistic. Jezza has some of the same charm.

Johnson prefers photo-ops of himself with primary school children or bed bound pensioners. It is working age adults he doesn't like encountering.
  • Options

Con 4/5
    LD 11/10
    Bxp 50/1
    Lab 50/1

I'm surprised. I don't rate the LDs chances of holding on particularly highly.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

More heavy rain predicted today, but lightening for the weekend.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Con 4/5
    LD 11/10
    Bxp 50/1
    Lab 50/1

I'm surprised. I don't rate the LDs chances of holding on particularly highly.
    Presumably weight of betting rather than any actual polling.
  • Options
    Most of those people will have been opposition activists looking to embarrass Johnson in front of the cameras.
  • Options
    Charles said:

https://twitter.com/GeoffNorcott/status/1194633658772025350

The man most responsible for Corbyn as possible next PM.

It may be just exhaustion but he doesn’t look well.
    Guilt.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Most of those people will have been opposition activists looking to embarrass Johnson in front of the cameras.

That's a pretty disgraceful comment.

People's lives have been affected by these floods and you sit on your laptop and post rubbish like that. Shame on you.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,055
    Foxy said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. Its bollocks.

John Major is a genuinely nice guy, and that came across when meeting the public, even a public initially antagonistic. Jezza has some of the same charm.

Johnson prefers photo-ops of himself with primary school children or bed bound pensioners. It is working age adults he doesn't like encountering.
    Unless they are nubile young women.
  • Options
    And I totally agree with Mike's assessment above.

Whatever your views on Tony Blair he had that ability to look and sound genuine, to be in touch with people, in spades.

Johnson is, as Mike rightly says, very like Theresa May in this regard: he is awkward, lacks empathy and doesn't respond well to being attacked.

Jeremy Corbyn is marginally better but he can get ratty, which isn't a good look either.

Jo Swinson: I know too many people who find her irritating to dismiss out of hand their qualms.

What an election.
  • Options

Foxy said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. Its bollocks.

Unless they are nubile young women.
    Everyone needs to download their dongle while watching a little pole dancing surely?
  • Options

Ouch! You do realise how bitter that sounds, don’t you?

Is there not just a teensy-weensy possibility that “those people” are just regular folk?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Johnson is, as Mike rightly says, very like Theresa May in this regard: he is awkward, lacks empathy and doesn't respond well to being attacked.

2017, part two: the comparisons continue to mount up.
  • Options

People's lives have been affected by these floods and you sit on your laptop and post rubbish like that. Shame on you.
    If you want to support the nasty party, you have to pass the entrance exam ...
  • Options

Is there not just a teensy-weensy possibility that “those people” are just regular folk?
    Not always...

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1194601590629515264?s=19
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

Normal people hate Boris too.
  • Options
    In other news, having looked at the headlines..... BBC and Guardian so far..... it's quite surprising, and indicative of a total lack of self-awareness to see Priti Patel promising stronger anti-immigrant measures.
    Shades of 'pull up the ladder, Jack, I'm all right!'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,997

The guy banging on about austerity may well have been. Most were just very pissed off though.

@tlg86 Observation about Sheffield's flood defences is correct btw
  • Options

Why do you find it so hard to believe that people whose lives have been so affected by flooding might find a PM breezing in for a photo opportunity a bit too much to stomach? Johnson got what he deserved. He poses as the champion of the ordinary punter, of those ignored by the metropolitan elite, but put him in front of such people and he comes across for what he is - a bumbling oaf who can't be arsed to get on top of his brief.

• Options
    And here's yet another Tory lie exposed ...
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1194736455849000961
  • Options

Regular folk would tug their forelocks and tell the Prime Minister they got what they deserved for voting Labour!

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    edited November 2019

Unlikely - are you suggesting that the flood somehow targeted opposition activists, or that these people filmed with their homes full of water were not actual victims?

A more reasonable defence would be that their anger is entirely understandable but Johnson isn't personally responsible for deciding flood defence priorities and accept that in mid-campaign he was slow to respond. We can then debate how these priorities are set. But blaming the victims is not a good look.
  • Options

You’re too emotional about your politics and desperate for the narrative to change.

Don’t be naive.
  • Options

Why do you find it so hard to believe that people whose lives have been so affected by flooding might find a PM breezing in for a photo opportunity a bit too much to stomach? Johnson got what he deserved. He poses as the champion of the ordinary punter, of those ignored by the metropolitan elite, but put him in front of such people and he comes across for what he is - a bumbling oaf who can't be arsed to get on top of his brief.

I didn’t say all. I said most.

Labour and the LD are both trying to make political capital out of this. It’s naive to think they won’t have prepped some of their activists to ambush Boris on his visits.

Normal people simply aren’t that rude and confrontational.

I expect we’ll find out more in the coming days.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,426

Like the Tories were planning active energetic campaigns throwing resources into these safe Labour seats in the first place?
  • Options

You’re too emotional about your politics and desperate for the narrative to change.

Don’t be naive.

Blaming victims of flooding for giving a clueless, bumbling PM a hard time is the height of emotional politics. The ratiuonal thing to do would be to admit that Johnson came across very poorly but to accept that because of who he is up against it doesn't matter. There is no conceivable way he can ever look worse than his opponent in the eyes of most voters.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

If i
    HYUFD said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

do.
    The

Thanks to Osborne's
    In 2017 the

The difficulty is more the tracking of a lifetime gift allowance, and in fact little money would be raised until it was exhausted on such a high threshold.

I would suggest a £125 000 rate from the start, but not at a 40% band. Perhaps 10% at £125 000, 20% at £250 000, 40% at £500 000, off the top of my head. By keeping the rate low it normalises IHT.

Not quite the LD policy, but not too far off. Taxing the recipient rather than the estate is a big step in the right direction.

In practice, it is likely that wills would be rewritten in favour of grand children as well as children. That would probably keep tax receipts down, but rather than inherit as a fifty something, many more would inherit in their twenties, when it is more useful.
    God, it’s a good job us pb’ers don’t make Government policy.

Cutting IHT allowances is a terrible idea and would be wildly unpopular.

People work hard all their lives for their estates and legacy, particularly their family homes, and want to be able to dispose of it how they choose.

If the State tries to intervene in that then don’t expect the party that advocated that policy to benefit.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Normal people hate Boris too.
    Brilliant! :D
  • Options

Labour and the LD are both trying to make political capital out of this. It’s naive to think they won’t have prepped some of their activists to ambush Boris on his visits.

The problem of whipping up "People vs Parliament" sentiment is that when those people get a Parliamentarian in front of them, they give them a piece of their mind.

When you release the dogs of war, don't be surprised when they bite the wrong people.
  • Options

I am struggling to see how they were either rude or confrontational. They were given the opportunity to sit down and talk to the Prime Minister in front of the cameras. They were given this opportunity by the Prime Minister. They took it. They asked him tough questions, politely. As for making political capital out of it. What are the Tories currently doing with the footage of a pro-Brexit, Johnson supporter heckling Jeremy Corbyn? You talk of naivity, but the idea your opponents are going to ignore footage in which you come across very badly is for the fairies.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Like the Tories were planning active energetic campaigns throwing resources into these safe Labour seats in the first place?

Indeed - but an offer makes it a deal.

• Options

Don’t be naive.

Blaming victims of flooding for giving a clueless, bumbling PM a hard time is the height of emotional politics. The ratiuonal thing to do would be to admit that Johnson came across very poorly but to accept that because of who he is up against it doesn't matter. There is no conceivable way he can ever look worse than his opponent in the eyes of most voters.

Calm down, dear. I’m not blaming victims of flooding. I am saying most of those skits would have been planned ambushes by opposition activists, or supporters.

This has already happened with the NHS worker who gave Johnson a ticking off in hospital a few weeks ago. We repeated the same debate here then.

And I agree he came across nervously and awkwardly.

We are in the heat of a GE campaign and the opposition are desperate to lay some punches. I guess objectivity is out the window for the next 4 weeks.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Whatever your views on Tony Blair he had that ability to look and sound genuine, to be in touch with people, in spades.

Jeremy Corbyn is marginally better but he can get ratty, which isn't a good look either.

Jo Swinson: I know too many people who find her irritating to dismiss out of hand their qualms.

What an election.

This is the key point about Bozo.

Johnson has a jovial bonhomie that he rolls out when he meets people - but it’s an evasion tactic to avoid having to genuinely engage with real people and their concerns. It relies on him being able to walk quickly on by, deflecting any comeback with more of his humorous shtick. He has no more ability to do a Blair/Clinton/Obama (or even a John Major) and engage with people on the campaign trail than did Mrs May. To him, politics is simply another schoolboy game and he doesn’t understand its impact on real lives at all.
  • Options
    Let's have a think about this - neutral or vaguely positive reactions to Johnson aren't going to make the news like people telling him to piss off will.
  • Options

Unlikely - are you suggesting that the flood somehow targeted opposition activists, or that these people filmed with their homes full of water were not actual victims?

A more reasonable defence would be that their anger is entirely understandable but Johnson isn't personally responsible for deciding flood defence priorities and accept that in mid-campaign he was slow to respond. We can then debate how these priorities are set. But blaming the victims is not a good look.
    I’m not blaming the victims. I’m saying that opposition activists or supporters are amongst them, and in a co-ordinated manner.

How many reasonable conversations did Boris have with flood victims where this didn’t happen?

I suspect many more. But we’ll never hear about those.
  • Options

In other news, having looked at the headlines..... BBC and Guardian so far..... it's quite surprising, and indicative of a total lack of self-awareness to see Priti Patel promising stronger anti-immigrant measures.
    Shades of 'pull up the ladder, Jack, I'm all right!'

You calling her a coconut? Shameful.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

If i
    HYUFD said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

do.
    The

Thanks to Osborne's
    In 2017 the

Now itdo it at £125k.

I IHT.

People work hard all their lives for their estates and legacy, particularly their family homes, and want to be able to dispose of it how they choose.

If the State tries to intervene in that then don’t expect the party that advocated that policy to benefit.

I agree that it is politically naive to expect this to be anything other than hugely unpopular. However, I am not sure that hard work is what secures massive rises in house prices. It's more that there are not enough houses. My parents did work hard, but no harder than people who never owned their own homes or who do not live in London. It was not hard work that led to the house they bought in 1970 for £7,000 rising in value to something like £1.5 million now. It was pure luck.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Working all of a mile from there I can assure you that the same road was also under water this time, albeit not as deeply. There is a video that went onto YouTube of the Don overtopping the wall onto Meadowhall Road directly opposite the centre. The shopping mall itself stayed dry inside thanks to the new flood defences they put in - again video of it lapping the top but then the river started to recede.

The Don at Meadowhall topped out 18cm below the 2007 record. Sorry if that wasn't high enough for you. Meanwhile, the every set of traffic lights in the area that the non-flood knocked out continues to cause traffic fun whwre the odd set of temporary light set up on key junctions aren't phased, which combined with the no lights at all junctions makes for "fun"
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

More rain today and tomorrow, it seems. *sighs*
  • Options

I am struggling to see how they were either rude or confrontational. They were given the opportunity to sit down and talk to the Prime Minister in front of the cameras. They were given this opportunity by the Prime Minister. They took it. They asked him tough questions, politely. As for making political capital out of it. What are the Tories currently doing with the footage of a pro-Brexit, Johnson supporter heckling Jeremy Corbyn? You talk of naivity, but the idea your opponents are going to ignore footage in which you come across very badly is for the fairies.

When in a situation where clowning around is inappropriate, Johnson really does struggle. No decent handler should have put him there without a detailed briefing of local Doncaster issues. They probably did, but just like his time at the FCO he probably couldn't be arsed reading them. Just as when meeting Ulster businesspeople he didn't read his own withdrawal agreement.

Preparing him for the debates will be a nightmare, he is right to be frit of them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Let's have a think about this - neutral or vaguely positive reactions to Johnson aren't going to make the news like people telling him to piss off will.

Exactly.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I’m not blaming the victims. I’m saying ...
    If I were you, I'd stop saying anything more. You've made a fool of yourself this morning.

More flooding today and no real let up in sight to the rain over the next week or two. What we desperately need is settled high pressure but there's been ne'er sight nor feel of one all autumn.

It's really horrendous for those going through it. I'm sorry some politicians don't get it. Sorry too that a couple of posters on here are so cynically enwrapped in their politicking that they've lost touch with the real world.

Party politics doesn't matter when your livelihood is at stake. Action does.
  • Options

Big floods a decade ago. A party that decides not to spend any money on flood defences. Another big flood and the same politicians who refused to spend the money to protect their homes comes to their homes to show sympathy.

Personally I am shocked that Johnson hasn't been chased out of town. Political Capital? Tories couldn't give a toss about people's lives and this is direct proof smacking them in the face.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

What an election.

This is the key point about Bozo.

Johnson has a jovial bonhomie that he rolls out when he meets people - but it’s an evasion tactic to avoid having to genuinely engage with real people and their concerns. It relies on him being able to walk quickly on by, deflecting any comeback with more of his humorous shtick. He has no more ability to do a Blair/Clinton/Obama (or even a John Major) and engage with people on the campaign trail than did Mrs May. To him, politics is simply another schoolboy game and he doesn’t understand its impact on real lives at all.
    That’s a good post. I agree.

I guess, at the very least, Boris is willing to at least attempt to appear to meet normal people.

May would have hid in a cupboard with a look of abject horror on her face.
  • Options
    It's hard to know how a Labour government would have responded differently, other than maybe have the PM there in wellies earlier for a PR opportunity. Surely this is a local emergency that the EA should have plans for - it's the sort of event we get every year. If they need to request military assistance, they should do so without a COBRA meeting having to happen. I can only think that they feel that "responding to an emergency" falls under purdah.
  • Options

Don’t be naive.

Calm down, dear. I’m not blaming victims of flooding. I am saying most of those skits would have been planned ambushes by opposition activists, or supporters.

This has already happened with the NHS worker who gave Johnson a ticking off in hospital a few weeks ago. We repeated the same debate here then.

We are in the heat of a GE campaign and the opposition are desperate to lay some punches. I guess objectivity is out the window for the next 4 weeks.

Accusing those giving the PM a hard time of being rude, unreasonable and of being opposition activists without a shred of evidence is not exactly objective! The PM wanted TV coverage of him sitting down and talking to flood victims. That's why the scenes were filmed. He got what he deserved for just assuming he could wing it. But it will make no difference whatsoever.

• Options

Foxy said:

Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

If i
    HYUFD said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

do.
    The

Thanks to Osborne's
    In 2017 the

House prices though, which is a significant part of most people's wealth, haven't risen as a result of the owners efforts, or if they have..... installation of a conservatory, central heating etc. ...... only marginally. They've risen as a result of a collective action..... either inflation or a general rise in prosperity, or alternatively, shortage..... collective failure to build enough for the next generation.
    So shouldn't the 'collective' have some benefit, rather than the 'lucky' individual?
  • Options

Big floods a decade ago. A party that decides not to spend any money on flood defences. Another big flood and the same politicians who refused to spend the money to protect their homes comes to their homes to show sympathy.

Personally I am shocked that Johnson hasn't been chased out of town. Political Capital? Tories couldn't give a toss about people's lives and this is direct proof smacking them in the face.
    Lol. Yep, it sure is an election campaign alright ladies and gentlemen.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

What an election.

To Bozo [...] politics is simply another schoolboy game and he doesn’t understand its impact on real lives at all.
    Exactly

He will always be found out when he meets real people whose real lives are being affected by real events.

And, with that, I bid you all to have a good day whilst I head out into that real world.
  • Options

Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

I know nothing about this but isn't the win from the policy that you could tax inheritance that's received via trusts which currently escapes IHT? If that were the case then you would be able to raise more money even with a higher threshold, particularly as you'd eventually receive tax from the trusts left behind by estates many years ago.

So, yes, announce it with a threshold of a million pounds. Not sure Labour are smart enough to do that though.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

When in a situation where clowning around is inappropriate, Johnson really does struggle. No decent handler should have put him there without a detailed briefing of local Doncaster issues. They probably did, but just like his time at the FCO he probably couldn't be arsed reading them. Just as when meeting Ulster businesspeople he didn't read his own withdrawal agreement.

Preparing him for the debates will be a nightmare, he is right to be frit of them.

Johnson thought he could wing it. He couldn't. This is why he tries so hard to avoid detailed scrutiny. Every time he is subjected to it - by ordinary punters, by the media or by Parliamentarians, he is exposed for the fraud that he is.

• Options

I’m not blaming the victims. I’m saying ...
    If I were you, I'd stop saying anything more. You've made a fool of yourself this morning.

More flooding today and no real let up in sight to the rain over the next week or two. What we desperately need is settled high pressure but there's been ne'er sight nor feel of one all autumn.

It's really horrendous for those going through it. I'm sorry some politicians don't get it. Sorry too that a couple of posters on here are so cynically enwrapped in their politicking that they've lost touch with the real world.

Party politics doesn't matter when your livelihood is at stake. Action does.
    Appreciate the advice but I’ll judge for myself what I say or don’t say on here, thank you very much.

I’m not the slightest bit interested in politicking, and don’t even like Johnson. I am interested in making money on this election, and longstanding regulars will know that. I’m simply saying it as I see it.

You’re judging me by your own standards, and there’s your problem right there.
  • Options

Don’t be naive.

Accusing those giving the PM a hard time of being rude, unreasonable and of being opposition activists without a shred of evidence is not exactly objective! The PM wanted TV coverage of him sitting down and talking to flood victims. That's why the scenes were filmed. He got what he deserved for just assuming he could wing it. But it will make no difference whatsoever.

Quite.

I'm afraid Casino Royale has made a complete arse of himself today. But he carries on digging. Sometimes it's a good idea to listen to another point of view, accept you may be barking up the wrong tree, and adjust accordingly.

Changing the subject, I mentioned something about Jo Swinson. As a LibDem, I'm rather concerned at the number of people who really find her off-putting. I've tried to dismiss this previously as misogynism but I don't think that's really the whole story. She really seems to irritate quite a few people I know :neutral:
  • Options

It's hard to know how a Labour government would have responded differently, other than maybe have the PM there in wellies earlier for a PR opportunity. Surely this is a local emergency that the EA should have plans for - it's the sort of event we get every year. If they need to request military assistance, they should do so without a COBRA meeting having to happen. I can only think that they feel that "responding to an emergency" falls under purdah.

From what I remember, Gordon Brown was faxced witha major flooding crisis just after he became PM in 2007. He came out of it pretty well, if I recall, because he was seen to be on top of it from day one. It played to all of Brown's strengths.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quite possibly so, but members of the public dissing him to his face is emerging as one of the memes of the election.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,378

I thought a large part of the problem here was that they *did* spend money on flood defences, meaning the water didn't hit most of Sheffield and flooded downriver instead?

Which makes it sound as though the key problem was a lack of planning in preparing additional runoff areas. Equally, without knowing the area I'm not sure how practical such spaces would be.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    edited November 2019

Don’t be naive.

Quite.

I'm afraid Casino Royale has made a complete arse of himself today. But he carries on digging. Sometimes it's a good idea to listen to another point of view, accept you may be barking up the wrong tree, and adjust accordingly.

Changing the subject, I mentioned something about Jo Swinson. As a LibDem, I'm rather concerned at the number of people who really find her off-putting. I've tried to dismiss this previously as misogynism but I don't think that's really the whole story. She really seems to irritate quite a few people I know :neutral:

On Swinson, I have no strong views whatsoever. I don't see why people find her so annoying. For me Johnson and Corbyn are in a completely different league! The former because he is a lying oaf, the latter because he is a sanctimonious hypocrite.

• Options

Foxy said:

Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

If i
    HYUFD said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

/
    do.
    The

Thanks to Osborne's
    In 2017 the

Now itdo it at £125k.
    The
    God

I agree that it is politically naive to expect this to be anything other than hugely unpopular. However, I am not sure that hard work is what secures massive rises in house prices. It's more that there are not enough houses. My parents did work hard, but no harder than people who never owned their own homes or who do not live in London. It was not hard work that led to the house they bought in 1970 for £7,000 rising in value to something like £1.5 million now. It was pure luck.

Yes, a better policy would be to tax the capital gain on the primary home over the purchase price at the point of sale or disposal*, with some relief given to direct descendants/inheritors, rather than a blanket IH tax. And that could never lead to the inheritors being required to vacate the home to pay that tax.

What you can’t have is robbing the mortgage people have just spent 25-30 years paying off. And most home prices are by and large static (ish) now and highly leveraged so I’m not sure if the London price boom will ever repeat itself in future. Post WWII and London becoming the global capital of finance was a unique time in our history.

Anyway, that’s not what’s being proposed here. It’s a blanket heavy tax above an estate value and it’s rightly seen as unfair.

(*That would be hugely unpopular too, by the way)
  • Options

From what I remember, Gordon Brown was faxced witha major flooding crisis just after he became PM in 2007. He came out of it pretty well, if I recall, because he was seen to be on top of it from day one. It played to all of Brown's strengths.

I assure you that wasn't the opinion of those of us who lived in the affected areas who saw him coming in for photo ops with carefully selected 'members of the public' and had to listen to his stupid blather about making sure water works were situated away from rivers in future.
  • Options

On Swinson, I have no strong views whatsoever. I don't see why people find her so annoying. For me Johnson and Corbyn are in a completely different league! The former because he is a lying oaf, the latter because he is a sanctimonious hypocrite.

That's unfair, Joff. Johnson is a sanctimonious hypocrite too, just as Corbyn is also a lying oaf.

I am, it has to be said, annoyed with Swinson at the moment but that's because of her daft 'Remain Alliance' and not her personality.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

I thought a large part of the problem here was that they *did* spend money on flood defences, meaning the water didn't hit most of Sheffield and flooded downriver instead?

Which makes it sound as though the key problem was a lack of planning in preparing additional runoff areas. Equally, without knowing the area I'm not sure how practical such spaces would be.
    Minimum spend that 'the authorities' could get away with, or authorise, probably.
  • Options

Yes he did the detail stuff quite well. But we should have arms of government that function without the PM getting involved. This is an event we get 2-3 times a year, nationally, the EA should find it routine.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Minimum spend that 'the authorities' could get away with, or authorise, probably.
    OK - but isn't Sheffield Labour controlled?
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Pierrot said:

What's the source of that?

ONS' Wealth and Assets Survey between 2014 and 2016 is the latest hard data I can find. It shows the average person who received an inheritance received £11,000. And just 4% of the population had received an inheritance in the past two years

And that's consistent with my experience. For most of the past 60 years, most people's assets were derisory. Few owned their own home, their pensions disappeared at death and all their children got was a few thousand quids' life insurance and a bit of ageing furniture.

The only people who believe different are Tories living in their own echo chamber (and desperate to keep the property gains they've made by accident), whingeing millennials and journalists. Who, these days, are all offspring of an entitled property-owning minority.

Back in the days when all journos started off like John Humphrys, the media wasn't stuffed with the delusion that "everyone" handed a mortgage-free piece of prime property to their children. Most of us earned our money: most left little more than fond memories.

I may be wrong. But I'd love to see real evidence.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Inheritance taxes destroy private reserves of capital and result in increased dependence on the state. It’s why socialists like them and conservatives & liberals don’t
  • Options

Not entirely, but the context was similar, with major flooding taking place early in his premiership, and with an election planned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6911467.stm
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OK - but isn't Sheffield Labour controlled?
    Indeed, so undoubtedly bears some responsibility. However, aren't such matters as flood control part of the area of responsibility of the Environmental Authority, the River Board or whatever, and nationally funded.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I can assure you it's all been paid for by Sheffield businesses.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,540
    It's rather transparent, not to say stupid, to criticise Boris Johnson for running scared of the public, and in the next breath criticise him for being shouted at by the public. People will make of it what they will. In many cases I suspect the response will be sympathetic.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Of course in Leaverstan, £125 000 per child from an inheritance is very generous, it mostly becomes an issue in Southern Remainia. What percentage of estates are going to be hit in Workington, and in Wimbledon?

Inheritance taxes destroy private reserves of capital and result in increased dependence on the state. It’s why socialists like them and conservatives & liberals don’t
    Would you prefer a 1% wealth tax instead. Tax has to come from somewhere and most people's wealth in Southern Remainia has come from house price inflation not from wages.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    ydoethur said:

I assure you that wasn't the opinion of those of us who lived in the affected areas who saw him coming in for photo ops with carefully selected 'members of the public' and had to listen to his stupid blather about making sure water works were situated away from rivers in future.
    Indeed - but even Brown was unable to generate this headline...

“Boris Johnson’s five flooding failures make Jeremy Corbyn look credible as PM finally visits Doncaster”
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/boris-johnson-s-five-flooding-failures-make-jeremy-corbyn-look-credible-as-pm-finally-visits-doncaster-tom-richmond-1-10101111
  • Options
    Just done a YouGov panel VI survey, so hopefully we should be seeing something from their model soon.
This discussion has been closed.