Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Conservatives’ election chances. Ten Seats To Watch

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Children, stop squabbling. All the parties have ludicrous positions on Brexit, OK?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    edited November 2019
    TOPPING said:

So Labour will negotiate with all their little hearts for a deal and then campaign against it. And that, to you, is "not ludicrous". If they want to remain, which is what you say they do, then why not just say "we want to remain"?

The Deal is Norway plus! Me and you could get it done in a long weekend.

They WILL be saying they want to Remain. They ARE saying that. Just about every single leading figure bar Jez has said so.

Is that all you're getting at? That the Great Man himself has not committed?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    edited November 2019
    kinabalu said:

You people calling Labour's Brexit policy ludicrous -

Would you find it less so if the policy were NOT to negotiate a "Labour Deal" but rather to just take the Boris or May one and put that out to Ref2 vs Remain?

IOW, is it this "negotiate a Deal and then campaign against it" that is especially bugging you?

Imo that is the problem. And solved easily by letting Labour leavers negotiate it independent of the shadow cabinet team who could in turn be more clearly pro remain.
  • Options

I'd wondered how the "split" in the main parties over Brexit was going to come about.

Johnson must be pleased it's come by a few dozen left-leaning Tories like Hammond throwing in the towel, rather than Change UK or similar being a successful vehicle.

But he also needs to hope millions of voters who thought Hammond (or Clarke etc) was their cup of tea don't notice what's left is less to their taste..

Indeed! The dregs of what was once a great broad church party is not very appealing, particularly when the dregs of the dregs make up the front bench!

What I think could be very amusing will be if Bozo gets a majority of, say 5 or 10. There are a reasonable number of folk who could decide to be the new awkward squad. Cummings will order him to take away the whip and we will be back to square one!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

So Labour will negotiate with all their little hearts for a deal and then campaign against it. And that, to you, is "not ludicrous". If they want to remain, which is what you say they do, then why not just say "we want to remain"?

They WILL be saying they want to Remain. They ARE saying that. Just about every single leading figure bar Jez has said so.

And La Pidcock. Where does RLB stand on the matter?

But yes. Your leader. Note the term "leader". You told me yesterday that it was the job of political parties to lead. Your leader has manifestly failed to do that. On your own terms, that is a huge failing, no?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Children, stop squabbling. All the parties have ludicrous positions on Brexit, OK?

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  • Options

Brexit itself is ludicrous. Eventually even the most ludicrous will realise.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    TOPPING said:

But yes. Your leader. Note the term "leader". You told me yesterday that it was the job of political parties to lead. Your leader has manifestly failed to do that. On your own terms, that is a huge failing, no?

I'm going to Cafe Nero.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Hammond standing down in Runnymede.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

I'd say all the parties have an obvious Brexit position that the voter understands except Labour. They will get hammered for it on the campaign trail.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:
    Pretty vile comments under this tweet.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Pidcock was risible on DP earlier
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Sky Bet

Leader Quit Dates

You’re betting on: the date when the resignation of the leader is announced

Given Corbyn is likely to announce he's resigning if the Tories get a Maj (Around Evens) I think this year is OK at 5-2.

Note it's the opposite on Betfair who definitely don't settle till the day of replacement as per May.
  • Options

Indeed. The Tory policy of ruling out an extension to the transition period is utterly absurd and completely destructive. Either Johnson has to renege on the promise and start a Tory civil war or he has to take the UK off a cliff edge and inflict serious long term economic damage on the very constituencies that the Tories need to keep on winning to stay in power. What's more, the electoral benefit is probably neutral; as it will drive as many current LD voters to Labour as it will BXP voters to the Tories.

• Options
    Brom said:

I'd say all the parties have an obvious Brexit position that the voter understands except Labour. They will get hammered for it on the campaign trail.

Do you think voters understand the implicaitons of ruling out an extension of the transition period?

• Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

What would be a sensible position on Brexit? I'm sure we'd all like to know.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Indeed. The Tory policy of ruling out an extension to the transition period is utterly absurd and completely destructive. Either Johnson has to renege on the promise and start a Tory civil war or he has to take the UK off a cliff edge and inflict serious long term economic damage on the very constituencies that the Tories need to keep on winning to stay in power. What's more, the electoral benefit is probably neutral; as it will drive as many current LD voters to Labour as it will BXP voters to the Tories.
    So far talking the talk of No Deal while capitulating to the EU has worked for Johnson. Setting himself another deadline will enable him to do the same thing again.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Streeter said:

I wouldn’t start from here...
  • Options

I'd wondered how the "split" in the main parties over Brexit was going to come about.

Johnson must be pleased it's come by a few dozen left-leaning Tories like Hammond throwing in the towel, rather than Change UK or similar being a successful vehicle.

But he also needs to hope millions of voters who thought Hammond (or Clarke etc) was their cup of tea don't notice what's left is less to their taste..

The idea that Hammond is a left-leaning Tory is for the fairies. He is far more fiscally conservative than the current Chancellor.

• Options

So far talking the talk of No Deal while capitulating to the EU has worked for Johnson. Setting himself another deadline will enable him to do the same thing again.

There will come a point when Johnson cannot get away with lying. My guess is that it will happen over the transition.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2019
    Streeter said:

Theresa May's was by far the most sensible we've seen: respect the spirit and letter of the referendum, informed by what the Leave campaigns actually campaigned on, by negotiating an orderly withdrawal agreement with time to ratify it, and with a view to a final position that left us out of the EU whilst minimising the economic damage, avoiding a border down the Irish Sea, and leaving us with a highly advantageous fallback position to avoid a cliff-edge at the end of the transition period.
  • Options

Brom said:

Do you think voters understand the implicaitons of ruling out an extension of the transition period?

He's very early into the term at that point, perhaps with a majority.

In order to secure the mega huge Bozza brexit bonananza deal we'll need to err.. just for a little bit.. extend. It's a touch of the melton mowbrays to keep Brexit nutjobs onboard for the election. In reality he has 5 years if he gets a majority to negotiate a trade deal with the EU.
    The self imposed pressure means we might get to one sooner than if a 5 year deadline was given too.

tldr; He'll extend.
  • Options
    Now, on more important matters: what the hell do we make of Ashfield???
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sky Bet

Leader Quit Dates

Given Corbyn is likely to announce he's resigning if the Tories get a Maj (Around Evens) I think this year is OK at 5-2.

Note it's the opposite on Betfair who definitely don't settle till the day of replacement as per May.

Corbyn will not resign. He is sticking around until he has a credible far-left successor - and as Pidcock and Long Bailey have shown, he does not have one yet.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Pulpstar said:

Sky Bet

Leader Quit Dates

Question: if Labour lose badly and Tom Watson loses his seat, who becomes the acting leader if Corbyn decides to go this year?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

He's very early into the term at that point, perhaps with a majority.

In order to secure the mega huge Bozza brexit bonananza deal we'll need to err.. just for a little bit.. extend. It's a touch of the melton mowbrays to keep Brexit nutjobs onboard for the election. In reality he has 5 years if he gets a majority to negotiate a trade deal with the EU.
    The self imposed pressure means we might get to one sooner than if a 5 year deadline was given too.

tldr; He'll extend.

I am not sure he will. It will be carnage inside the new look English Nationalist Party if he does.

• Options

Brom said:

Some do and some do not but that goes with numerous policies across the board.Ruling out an extension on the transition period is something that can be implemented whether you like it or not.

What we do know is there is clear water between the Brexit policies of all the main parties but Labour are the only party with a completely fanciful policy that is impractical, unattainable and unpopular.
  • Options

Ind gain
  • Options

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

The plan is to negotiate a deal, but then campaign against that deal. I think any normal person would find that ludicrous.

The plan is to negotiate the least economically damaging Brexit possible and allow the public to choose between that and Remain. This is not "ludicrous" in any regular sense of the word. The resulting Referendum, however, in having no option that could enthuse the Leave community would be a bit ludicrous. So I'll give you that.
    The ludicrous bit is them campaigning against the deal they negotiated.
    That's exactly what a bunch of cabinet ministers did in 2016.
    Campaigning against a deal you had no part in negotiating is not the same as campaigning against the deal you yourself negotiated.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited November 2019
    Great news for the Lib Dems . Any split in the Tory vote there looks likely to give them the seat .
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Some do and some do not but that goes with numerous policies across the board.Ruling out an extension on the transition period is something that can be implemented whether you like it or not.

What we do know is there is clear water between the Brexit policies of all the main parties but Labour are the only party with a completely fanciful policy that is impractical, unattainable and unpopular.

I agree about the Labour policy. As Richard N points out, the same applies tot he LibDem and Tory ones, too.

• Options
    edited November 2019

I'd have thought with the "plague on all your houses" stuff, Zadrozny (Unusually for an independent) would have a good chance perhaps ?

Edit: That said I generally bet against independents. But he's a bit different to say Dominic Grieve and Rory Stewart.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Pulpstar said:

Sky Bet

Leader Quit Dates

Question: if Labour lose badly and Tom Watson loses his seat, who becomes the acting leader if Corbyn decides to go this year?
    I believe the NEC decide
  • Options

Every year is starting to feel the same
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Hammond standing down in Runnymede.

Good.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Ind gain
    I know they did very well in the council elections, but Indies don't tend to do well in GEs - and won't the potential Zadrozny Leaver-friendly vote be split Con/BXP?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sky Bet

Leader Quit Dates

Corbyn will not go. But, in theory, the NEC would decide. In fact, I am pretty sure that is the case now even if watson holds his seat.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Good riddance. Incompetent and arrogant fool.

A Chancellor who thinks it is a good idea to spend billions on Trident to mitigate against the risk of nuclear war but thinks it is a good idea to block spending on preparations for a no deal Brexit when it is not just a clear and present risk that it could occur but is in fact government policy that it could occur is utterly out of his depth and should never be trusted near power ever again.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Great news for the Lib Dems . Any split in the Tory vote there looks likely to give them the seat .
    Would the people who will vote for Anne Milton have been more likely to vote Tory or LD? I could be wrong but would have thought those independently enough minded to vote for her as an independent might be close to 50/50 between Tory/LD if she was not standing?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

A Chancellor who thinks it is a good idea to spend billions on Trident to mitigate against the risk of nuclear war but thinks it is a good idea to block spending on preparations for a no deal Brexit when it is not just a clear and present risk that it could occur but is in fact government policy that it could occur is utterly out of his depth and should never be trusted near power ever again.
    What an absolutely stupid post. Really, you sound completely deranged.

Quite apart from the absurdity of your comparison, we were assured by Boris and his team just days after Hammond resigned that No Deal was going to be fine on October 31st. So how in the name of heaven can it possibly be that Hammond blocked spending on preparations? If he had, Boris would have have to extend as we wouldn't have been ready, wouldn't he?
  • Options

nico67 said:

Would the people who will vote for Anne Milton have been more likely to vote Tory or LD? I could be wrong but would have thought those independently enough minded to vote for her as an independent might be close to 50/50 between Tory/LD if she was not standing?
    I considered this myself earlier, I will bow to any local knowledge as I only visit Guildford once a year. Looking at the numbers the Lib Dems probably need to squeeze Labour under 5,000 votes in order to win.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    The Thread's dead baby! The thread's dead!
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

IanB2 said:

Ind gain
    I know they did very well in the council elections, but Indies don't tend to do well in GEs - and won't the potential Zadrozny Leaver-friendly vote be split Con/BXP?
    One of the things to note for Ashfield (and East Devon) is that it appears that the Lib Dems have lots of money, and appear to be throwing large amounts into the air war / are generically carpet bombing the country with leaflets relatively indiscriminately. Like the 2010 'Cleggasm' I expect this to boost Lib Dem votes even in places where it is of no help - and I don't see that being to the advantage of local indie type candidates.
  • Options
    Mr. P, and Mr. Tweed, there's a choice, though. It's not a poll on whether you like the Conservative Party (or the Labour Party, for that matter). It's comparing them to see what you like the most/dislike the least [well, really it's voting for individuals, but many people are motivated on a party basis].
  • Options

Scott_P said:

What an absolutely stupid post. Really, you sound completely deranged.

Quite apart from the absurdity of your comparison, we were assured by Boris and his team just days after Hammond resigned that No Deal was going to be fine on October 31st. So how in the name of heaven can it possibly be that Hammond blocked spending on preparations? If he had, Boris would have have to extend as we wouldn't have been ready, wouldn't he?
    Its an entirely reasonable comparison. The point is that the government doesn't just spend money it wants to occur, but to prepare for unwanted contingencies. Even if a government wants a deal, it is entirely logical and reasonable to prepare for No Deal. If we only prepared for events we wanted to occur we could abolish not just Trident but the entire Ministry of Defence.

As for Boris, Brexit was only going to be fine because Boris and his team massively ramped up no deal Brexit preparations which Hammond had neglected.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

Pulpstar said:

Sky Bet

Leader Quit Dates

Corbyn will not go. But, in theory, the NEC would decide. In fact, I am pretty sure that is the case now even if watson holds his seat.

If Labour lose, Corbyn will definitely go.
    Will happily do a charity bet that he'll be gone by June 2020 if he loses the election.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I've been told by the same.person who gave me the bum Brecon and Radnor info that this isnt true..
    Which means it will probably happen
This discussion has been closed.