Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov boost for Swinson in the TV debates row

124»

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

ydoethur said:

The reason the Tories are quiet is that they don't have any ideas.

I'm serious. After 9 years they have run out of ideas. They are obsessed by one thing and one thing only, which 75% of the electorate aren't as fussed about as they are a range of other things in their lives.

You’re quite right.

But nobody else has any ideas either.

Other than Corbyn whose ideas veer from the mad to the disastrous via the merely amusing.
    :wink:

I loved the ban on private planes idea. That will gain lots of support, even if you throw your hands in the air in horror. Most amusing.

It's by far the most interesting election of my life thanks almost entirely to Labour. I mean ... wow ... it's seriously radical stuff. Makes Michael Foot look like a Blairite :smiley:
    Shame about the jobs it loses though

Oh and if this is about the environment what % of emissions come from private jets?

Its a stupid, stupid idea and more about envy than anything else.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I'm serious. After 9 years they have run out of ideas. They are obsessed by one thing and one thing only, which 75% of the electorate aren't as fussed about as they are a range of other things in their lives.

So new hospitals, uprate education funding, 20,000 new police, end of austerity with inflation rises plus specific 3.9% rise in the pension, moratorium on fracking, investment in prisons with airport strength screening to keep out drugs, longer sentences, point style immigration system andmore to come in the manifesto

40% of the public in yesterday's poll said brexit is their main concern, 60% in Wales
    Well they are not new hospitals just hospitals that should have been upgraded years ago. The police will only replace those that were culled. If you believe them on fracking then you would back Johnson pensions are just a bribe, we haven’t got the room in prisons for longer sentences and god knows what a points based immigration system is but I’m sure it will be fine.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,745
    For what it's worth, at this stage of the 2017 GE (38 days out) the rolling average Tory lead over Labour was 15.3%.

It's currently 11% for the average of the last 6 polls published in Wikipedia for this GE.
  • Options
    I really hope TBP are not crass enough to put someone up against Lindsay Hoyle

An excellent choice and the start of the healing of the speakers office so debased by Bercow
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,868
    edited November 2019
    Congrats to Lindsay... And to Parliament for making their first sensible decision for months.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Johnson is a rubbish speaker.

Waffle waffle waffle
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited November 2019

For what it's worth, at this stage of the 2017 GE (38 days out) the rolling average Tory lead over Labour was 15.3%.

It's currently 11% for the average of the last 6 polls published in Wikipedia for this GE.

Mainly shifted by the dementia tax disaster which will not be repeated, Boris is running a much more populist campaign.

Plus the Tories were on 44 to 50% at this stage in 2017, much of which went back to Labour, the 34 to 42% the Tories are on now is much more realistic and matches the Tories voteshare from 2010 to 2017 so much harder for Labour to shift
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,919
    A Speaker must show kindliness, Mr Johnson, whatever could you mean?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    nichomar said:

So new hospitals, uprate education funding, 20,000 new police, end of austerity with inflation rises plus specific 3.9% rise in the pension, moratorium on fracking, investment in prisons with airport strength screening to keep out drugs, longer sentences, point style immigration system andmore to come in the manifesto

40% of the public in yesterday's poll said brexit is their main concern, 60% in Wales
    Well they are not new hospitals just hospitals that should have been upgraded years ago. The police will only replace those that were culled. If you believe them on fracking then you would back Johnson pensions are just a bribe, we haven’t got the room in prisons for longer sentences and god knows what a points based immigration system is but I’m sure it will be fine.
    Basically, it’s spaff some cash around, and the absence of any kind of fresh thinking is palpable.
  • Options

Waffle waffle waffle

He even babbled on about Newtonian time-frames when everyone knows that they were superceded 100 years ago by Einstein.

Typical Boris... well out of date :D:D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1190576786083418114?s=20
    There must be a sweet point for the Conservatives where the 2:1 ratio of Labour/Tory voters going LibDem delivers Labour seats before suffering crushing losses themselves to the LibDems. Anyone done any work on where that point is?
    I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know we're a long way from it. Would require Lib Dems considerably ahead of Labour.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,740

So a reversal of the last 9 years. Thank heaven for the magic money tree!
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    HYUFD said:

camel said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1191415158331056128?s=20

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1191412011311288320?s=20

I wonder if HYUFD's confidence is just a touch dented today?

Eerily reminiscent of 2017. I could be wrong and everyone decides Johnson is Dionysus reborn whilst Corbyn is Daemon.

Or, as I think most likely, people are starting to focus on what really matters in their lives. Clue: the answers don't begin with B and end in T.

The (stop) Brexit Party doing some serious damage there. Will that happen in reality? I have my doubts.
    Me too. If it isn't clear yet that a vote for TBP makes Brexit less likely in most cases, it will certainly be made abundantly so over the coming weeks.
    Farage said today Cameron only got a majority in 2015 due to UKIP taking Labour votes, in areas like Workington that is still the case

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1190402686828580865?s=20
    Where else is “like Workington”?

Have you ever been there?
    Bishop Auckland, Grimsby, Vale of Clwyd, Penistone and Stockbridge, Gower, Wrexham, Weaver Vale, Rother Valley, Darlington, Ashfield etc seats the Tories could gain thanks to Labour voters going Brexit Party
    Workington is very rural. Darlington and Grimsby certainly are not.
    They are still strong Leave won by the Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections
    Fair enough on its brexity nature and your research.

But the constituency is not typical of northern working class towns. Most of it is "Escape to the Country" territory. (Noone has ever escaped to Grimsby),

As i noted earlier, it would draw less attention if it were more accurately named "North Lake District and Solway".
  • Options

Good - poll leads can lead to complacency
  • Options
    I've actually won some money by backing Hoyle. I think this is the first time this year.

Let us hope this bodes well for the forthcoming election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

An excellent choice and the start of the healing of the speakers office so debased by Bercow

Can't see TBP getting 51% even if they do.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There must be a sweet point for the Conservatives where the 2:1 ratio of Labour/Tory voters going LibDem delivers Labour seats before suffering crushing losses themselves to the LibDems. Anyone done any work on where that point is?
    LDs 20 to 25%, Labour 20 to 25%
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So a reversal of the last 9 years. Thank heaven for the magic money tree!
    Indeed, the irony is staggering!
  • Options

Bryant 213
    Hoyle 325

That's a lot of MPs already off campaigning......
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Let’s get a decent human being in number 10, so that the healing can really begin.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    AndyJS said:

Lindsay Hoyle gets exactly 50% of the membership of the House.

Just over, surely - we have two by-elections pending (Bercow and Mann)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Waffle waffle waffle

Good job they elected Hoyle instead then...
  • Options
    Parliament is a well Hoyle'd machine...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Let’s get a decent human being in number 10, so that the healing can really begin.
    :+1:
  • Options
    I did not know that Lindsay Hoyle's daughter tragically hung herself in her bedroom when she was 28 in 2017

What a terrible thing to happen to him and his family

• Options

AndyJS said:

Uh?
  • Options
    I find Nigel Dodds and J Swinson's speeches a touch ungracious.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114

Those collecting their winnings can be thankful to those on the other side of the bet: "Hoyle lay, Hoyle lay, Hoyle lay, Hoyle lay"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    HYUFD said:
    FiveThirtyEight has really good potential matchup polls: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/

Worth noting that Siena College, who did this poll, is an unknown, and 538 doesn't give them a rating yet. They may be great. But their numbers are very different to Fox News (an A rated pollster), who has for Wisonsin leads of 5, 4, and 9 for Sanders, Warren and Biden in order.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That is upto the electorate
  • Options

Bryant 213
    Hoyle 325

Off "campaigning" or filling their boots at tax payers expense? ;)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Well of the two current front runners a description of decent does not stand scrutiny what is decent about either Johnson or corbyn?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    Technically true, but will become irrelevant once Parliament is dissolved.
  • Options

I find Nigel Dodds and J Swinson's speeches a touch ungracious.

The DUP "ungracious" Shirley not!!!!! :D
  • Options

I did not know that Lindsay Hoyle's daughter tragically hung herself in her bedroom when she was 28 in 2017

Yes, she was in an abusive relationship. I remember him speaking about it after the inquest.

I have a huge amount of time for him, he always seems to be a very decent man. I know from friends in his constituency how well respected his is, regardless of political affiliation.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Bryant 213
    Hoyle 325

Off "campaigning" or filling their boots at tax payers expense? ;)
    Or still around, making the most of their last shots of subsidised booze?
  • Options
    Anyway, with the excitement over for the evening, I shall put the kettle on and have a relax

Later peeps!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    There would only be by-elections if the writs were moved so it's not even 'technically' true.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Jonathan said:

Comrade...they haven't got much of a choice.....
  • Options

Yes, she was in an abusive relationship. I remember him speaking about it after the inquest.

I have a huge amount of time for him, he always seems to be a very decent man. I know from friends in his constituency how well respected his is, regardless of political affiliation.
    I think he'll be excellent. He's just the breath of fresh air Parliament needs after Bercow.
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    There would only be by-elections if the writs were moved so it's not even technically true.
    Even more technically true, touche. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    But neither were MPs available to vote, so the total electorate was 648.
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    Are the Sinn Fein MPs eligible to vote as they haven't taken the oath?
  • Options

Those collecting their winnings can be thankful to those on the other side of the bet: "Hoyle lay, Hoyle lay, Hoyle lay, Hoyle lay"
    Surprised you didn't end that post with "...Hoyle get my coat."
  • Options

Jeez...what a profoundly shocking event....

I've worked in m mental health, and I really do think that 99% of young people who hang themselves at home really do not mean to do it...i's a very volatile act to do in a moment of madness, and it is very easy to do....
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    There would only be by-elections if the writs were moved so it's not even technically true.
    But technically normally the by-election is still pending even if the write wasn't moved yet would it not?

Moving the writ moves the by-election from simply pending to scheduled.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

HYUFD said:

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know we're a long way from it. Would require Lib Dems considerably ahead of Labour.
    Does anyone have the 2017 UKIP /LD/ Other Nos ?
  • Options
    Well done Parliament for finally making a decent decision but even then they still managed to drag it out for as long as they possibly could until they literally couldn't drag it out any further.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    I was wondering that. Complicated because if they had turned up, there would have been no Speaker to administer the Oath. Maybe the Father of the House would have to rule on their eligibility?
  • Options
    Breaking news

Trump gives formal notice to the UN he will withdraw from the Paris accord on the 4th November 2020

Words fail me
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    But technically normally the by-election is still pending even if the write wasn't moved yet would it not?

Is there law requiring a by-election to be held, or can a seat remain vacant for the duration of a Parliament?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184

Alistair said:
    Well, it might be a bit huffy but it is at least correct. There is a scenario - unlikely but by no means impossible - by which she becomes PM, even if only temporarily. There is no plausible scenario in which Sturgeon becomes PM.

So the interview was wrong, and presumably just being provocative.
    It’s a fake account
  • Options
    So, when is Hoyle due to receive HM's approbation? :D
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    I was wondering that. Complicated because if they had turned up, there would have been no Speaker to administer the Oath. Maybe the Father of the House would have to rule on their eligibility?
    Surely the answer to that is simple?

There have been Speakers chosen directly after an election before when newly elected MPs wouldn't have taken the Oath yet, what happens then?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?

Is there law requiring a by-election to be held, or can a seat remain vacant for the duration of a Parliament?
    It remains vacant until Parliament moves to hold a by-election. I don’t think there’s a law prescribing when that has to happen, although doubtless the SC would invent one if necessary.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Breaking news

Trump gives formal notice to the UN he will withdraw from the Paris accord on the 4th November 2020

Words fail me

Will words fail Boris in condemning it. Needs a strong response.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BBC Parliament said 21:30.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Breaking news

Words fail me

All leaders need to condemn him

He is a disaster for the US and all of us
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The opprobrium Tory Swinson gets on here is seriously disconcerting. She seems a perfectly nice lady to me, PBers’ loathing for her really is bizarre.

She's a threat. She has to be neutralised in case she gathers momentum.
    If it was that, I’d be relatively reassured. LibDems have always attracted disproportionate flak from the old parties because they are the only real threat to their cosy two-party cartel (aka political stitch up).

But I fear that the fact that she is a younger female politician does have something to do with it.
    It is OPINION she is crap and economical with the truth. A dogmatic toerag.
    Fact or OPINION?

You thickie
    Fact for me you cretinous half witted moron. Back under your rock where you belong.
    Whereas you can only dream and aspire to being under a rock of your own? ;)
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The opprobrium Tory Swinson gets on here is seriously disconcerting. She seems a perfectly nice lady to me, PBers’ loathing for her really is bizarre.

If it was that, I’d be relatively reassured. LibDems have always attracted disproportionate flak from the old parties because they are the only real threat to their cosy two-party cartel (aka political stitch up).

But I fear that the fact that she is a younger female politician does have something to do with it.
    Fact or OPINION?

You thickie
    Fact for me you cretinous half witted moron. Back under your rock where you belong.
    I have an above ground palace as befits my magnificence
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    RobD said:

9.35 tonight
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited November 2019
    Looking at the last thread two interesting NEW polls. ICM (the gold standard ) has Labour within 7 points of the Tories and another poll showing Labour overtaking the Tories in Wales. Clearly the fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet.
  • Options

Breaking news

Words fail me

That's the day after the 2020 presidential election.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Breaking news

Words fail me

Boris will weigh things up and wonder which response will better suit him.....he'll go in for the Paris Accord knowing that the idiots who think global warming is a lefty plot will hardly vote for Corbyn....
  • Options

RobD said:

BBC Parliament said 21:30.
    marke09 said:

RobD said:

9.35 tonight
    I'm looking forward to a good doffing.
  • Options
    The suicide cycle within families is difficult to defeat, once one is successful it’s incredibly difficult to fight against. I’ve spent 43 years fighting the issue across two generations. It’s destructive and irrational almost certainly grounded in depressive genes. There is no logic that you can deploy you just hope that it eventually fades. I’m currently comfortable with the overall positive nature of the ‘family’ but I’m always on the watch for the signs that things are going wrong. Electronic communication has helped but you can not always be there. It is an illness, possibly inherent but very real
  • Options
    If it just me, or Houston do we have another problem with the thread on the main site not appearing?
  • Options

Breaking news

Words fail me

I thought he had announced this years ago?
  • Options

White supremacist Richard Spencer makes racist slurs on tape leaked by rival
    Ex-Breitbart writer, Milo Yiannopoulos, released expletive-laden audio recording amid deepening in-fighting on the far right

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/04/white-supremacist-richard-spencer-racist-slurs-tape-milo-yiannopoulos
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,919

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?
    There would only be by-elections if the writs were moved so it's not even 'technically' true.
    It was obviously meant to say that there are two vacancies, in fairness.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Uh?

It remains vacant until Parliament moves to hold a by-election. I don’t think there’s a law prescribing when that has to happen, although doubtless the SC would invent one if necessary.
    The Chief Whip usually issues the writ within 3 months but occasionally they have delayed longer - over 6 months a couple of times.

No writ, no by election. And obviously with dissolution of Parliament and a General Election there ain't no by elections.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Tory to hold Finchley and Golders Green looks value at 5/4.

Luciana Berger is new, well known and Jewish, but a 20 point swing is a big ask. And I cannot see Labour gaining the seat for obvious reasons.

Anyway I've piled in.
  • Options

Breaking news

Words fail me

Interesting discussion on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR1snnEx6oI
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Roger said:

Looking at the last thread two interesting NEW polls. ICM (the gold standard ) has Labour within 7 points of the Tories and another poll showing Labour overtaking the Tories in Wales. Clearly the fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet.

The Tories lead has increased with ICM on their last poll and Labour's lead has fallen in Wales from 16% in 2017 to just 1% now
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,345
    edited November 2019
    Roger said:

Two interesting NEW polls from a quick flick through the last thread. ICM (the gold standard ) has Labour within 7 points of the Tories and another poll showing Labour overtaking the Tories in Wales. Clearly the fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet.

The Wales poll shows

Labour 18 (-10)
    Conservatives 17 (+9)
    Plaid 4
    Lib dem 1 (+1)

This would see labour in a minority of seats for the first time in decades
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Roger said:

Oh absolutely. Labour will likely be averaging 30% by the weekend, and will continue to head Northwards as the robot voters come home.

I wouldn't anticipate their getting all the way back up to 40% by polling day, but the vote share ought to be substantially better than would've been suggested both by pre-election polling, and Corbyn's abysmal personal ratings.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

The suicide cycle within families is difficult to defeat, once one is successful it’s incredibly difficult to fight against. I’ve spent 43 years fighting the issue across two generations. It’s destructive and irrational almost certainly grounded in depressive genes. There is no logic that you can deploy you just hope that it eventually fades. I’m currently comfortable with the overall positive nature of the ‘family’ but I’m always on the watch for the signs that things are going wrong. Electronic communication has helped but you can not always be there. It is an illness, possibly inherent but very real

So sorry to hear that
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    nichomar said:

And very silent.
  • Options

Roger said:

Two interesting NEW polls from a quick flick through the last thread. ICM (the gold standard ) has Labour within 7 points of the Tories and another poll showing Labour overtaking the Tories in Wales. Clearly the fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet.

The Wales poll shows

Labour 18 (-10)
    Conservatives 17 (+9)
    Plaid 4
    Lib dem 1 (+1)

For the first time since 1931, to be exact. Then the score was Tory 11, Lib 8, Lab 16.
  • Options

Roger said:

Oh absolutely. Labour will likely be averaging 30% by the weekend, and will continue to head Northwards as the robot voters come home.

I wouldn't anticipate their getting all the way back up to 40% by polling day, but the vote share ought to be substantially better than would've been suggested both by pre-election polling, and Corbyn's abysmal personal ratings.
    And if so Jo Swinson has failed
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Fact or OPINION?

You thickie
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Fact or OPINION?

You thickie
    I have an above ground palace as befits my magnificence
    Let's run a book on which is malc's gaff:

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/attractions/castles/16-fairytale-castles/
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Roger said:

The Wales poll shows

Labour 18 (-10)
    Conservatives 17 (+9)
    Plaid 4
    Lib dem 1 (+1)

Also the tory share has risen faster than Labour with icm
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    edited November 2019
    It is weird that we have a system that places so much emphasis on the link between MP and constituency and the MPs role in engaging in the political process on behalf of their constituents, yet then tolerates four such constituencies whose MPs are unable to engage in politics and one where every elector is effectively excluded from the election.

It would be more sensible for the Speaker and deputies to be excluded from the 650 MP total, and for a vacancy to be created upon their ascent to said position, to be filled by by-election. Thereby ensuring all constituencies are represented by an active political (except Hallam, obvs ;) )
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

How awful.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

The Tories lead has increased with ICM on their last poll and Labour's lead has fallen in Wales from 16% in 2017 to just 1% now
    I see what you did there.

Surely a role in LD leaflet production awaits you
This discussion has been closed.