Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov boost for Swinson in the TV debates row

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    IanB2 said:

The opprobrium Tory Swinson gets on here is seriously disconcerting. She seems a perfectly nice lady to me, PBers’ loathing for her really is bizarre.

She's a threat. She has to be neutralised in case she gathers momentum.
    If it was that, I’d be relatively reassured. LibDems have always attracted disproportionate flak from the old parties because they are the only real threat to their cosy two-party cartel (aka political stitch up).

But I fear that the fact that she is a younger female politician does have something to do with it.
    I think its more to do with her being a ....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I have a feeling that the right will lament our lack of Proportional Representation after this election.

Serves them right.

I don't speak for others, but I know that I won't change my view on PR just because I got a result I didn't like.
    Rubbish. If ‘leave’ parties won more than 50% of the vote combined but the election returned a ‘remain’ party you’d be whining from high heaven.
    No, I wouldn't.
    As I said: rubbish.
  • Options

Hmmm... Vanilla has stopped working on Chrome, but if I go to incognito mode in Chrome, It works again.

Weird

Keeps doing the same for me but is ok after I delete the history
    Works on Chrome on my Mac.

But Firefox has now stopped working.

I swapped to Firefox some weeks ago because Chrome stopped working!!!
    Well, clearing history and caches had not effect, but putting a browser debugger on produced this ...

Refused to display 'https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/embed/?c=1572895981522&vanilla_identifier=115961&vanilla_url=http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/11/04/yougov-boost-for-swinson-in-the-tv-debates-row/' in a frame because an ancestor violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "frame-ancestors 'self' www2.politicalbetting.com politicalbetting.com".
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1191415158331056128?s=20

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1191412011311288320?s=20

I wonder if HYUFD's confidence is just a touch dented today?

Eerily reminiscent of 2017. I could be wrong and everyone decides Johnson is Dionysus reborn whilst Corbyn is Daemon.

Or, as I think most likely, people are starting to focus on what really matters in their lives. Clue: the answers don't begin with B and end in T.

The (stop) Brexit Party doing some serious damage there. Will that happen in reality? I have my doubts.
    Me too. If it isn't clear yet that a vote for TBP makes Brexit less likely in most cases, it will certainly be made abundantly so over the coming weeks.
    Why? When only Farage is holding out for a “true” “real” Brexit, Bozo now having sold out to a worse deal from the E.U. even than Mrs M’s? ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,098
    edited November 2019

I have a feeling that the right will lament our lack of Proportional Representation after this election.

Serves them right.

They won't that would guarantee Swinson holds the balance of power
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Can we wait a few weeks and when things settle down start to discuss reality or do you almost really live in the parallel universe of the next poll.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,933

RobD said:

Serves them right.

I don't speak for others, but I know that I won't change my view on PR just because I got a result I didn't like.
    Rubbish. If ‘leave’ parties won more than 50% of the vote combined but the election returned a ‘remain’ parliament you’d be whining from high heaven.
    On what do you base that view? Plenty of FPTP supporters might do so, but we cannot assume all would, particularly when they have always backed FPTP, even when it returned outcomes they very much did not like.

As a PR supporter we often see the opposite trend, where people suddenly get very passionately in support of PR right after an outcome such as you describe, but we cannot assume everyone who backs PR thinks that way, nor that every FPTP backer only thinks that because it currently benefits them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

RobD said:

Serves them right.

Rubbish. If ‘leave’ parties won more than 50% of the vote combined but the election returned a ‘remain’ party you’d be whining from high heaven.
    No, I wouldn't.
    I'm sorry, but I know myself better than you do. I would accept that because I accept that FPTP can lead to quirks like that. If parties can't win an overall majority with the rules as they are, they should fight harder to convince more people, rather than changing the rules to make it easier for them to win.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Eerily reminiscent of 2017. I could be wrong and everyone decides Johnson is Dionysus reborn whilst Corbyn is Daemon.

Or, as I think most likely, people are starting to focus on what really matters in their lives. Clue: the answers don't begin with B and end in T.

The (stop) Brexit Party doing some serious damage there. Will that happen in reality? I have my doubts.
    Me too. If it isn't clear yet that a vote for TBP makes Brexit less likely in most cases, it will certainly be made abundantly so over the coming weeks.
    Farage said today Cameron only got a majority in 2015 due to UKIP taking Labour votes, in areas like Workington that is still the case

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1190402686828580865?s=20
    Where else is “like Workington”?

Have you ever been there?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Can we wait a few weeks and when things settle down start to discuss reality or do you almost really live in the parallel universe of the next poll.

Very well said
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,742

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Wales returning to form, LDs down, BXP down but not out - both LDs and Tories best hope this not a trend.

What is interesting about the latest Wales poll is that, whereas the LD to Lab shift reflects the last batch of national polls, the slight Tory dip and the tick up for BXP is new.
    That poll was not promising for the the tories blue collar strategy really.
    Link to the wales poll?
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1191403117910405120?s=19
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    DavidL said:

I think the sight of the other candidates on the ballot paper will have most Brexit Party supporters returning to their original preferences when they are in the booth.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

RobD said:

RobD said:

Serves them right.

No, I wouldn't.
    And as I say again, what do you base that on? Do you genuinely think no one supports FPTP except out of partisan reasons?

I don't think it's enough to just say someone is a liar. What makes you reasonably think he is lying?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    Are the tories going to bother campaigning this time, cos so far its all very quiet.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited November 2019
    After weeks getting excited over how crap Swinson is, I've now concluded she's actually too crap to do her job, which is to split the Remain vote and gift Johnson his landslide.

I'm therefore in two minds over the debates: is it better she does them and has a chance of getting some notes back due to exposure, or will this simply throw her crapness into sharp relief, exacerbating the problem?

FWIW I doubt Johnson is trembling in his boots at the thought of facing her.
  • Options

Are the tories going to bother campaigning this time, cos so far its all very quiet.

They might still be worrying about how this went for them last time?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Farage said today Cameron only got a majority in 2015 due to UKIP taking Labour votes, in areas like Workington that is still the case

Let's see what happens in the real vote.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The opprobrium Tory Swinson gets on here is seriously disconcerting. She seems a perfectly nice lady to me, PBers’ loathing for her really is bizarre.

She's a threat. She has to be neutralised in case she gathers momentum.
    If it was that, I’d be relatively reassured. LibDems have always attracted disproportionate flak from the old parties because they are the only real threat to their cosy two-party cartel (aka political stitch up).

But I fear that the fact that she is a younger female politician does have something to do with it.
    I think its more to do with her being a ....
    So another insightful fact based post from a labour blinkered voter
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

TBF, last time they campaigned with great energy and yet everyone agrees it was extremely counterproductive.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Hmmm... Vanilla has stopped working on Chrome, but if I go to incognito mode in Chrome, It works again.

Weird

Well, clearing history and caches had not effect, but putting a browser debugger on produced this ...

Refused to display 'https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/embed/?c=1572895981522&vanilla_identifier=115961&vanilla_url=http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/11/04/yougov-boost-for-swinson-in-the-tv-debates-row/' in a frame because an ancestor violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "frame-ancestors 'self' www2.politicalbetting.com politicalbetting.com".
    Well that clears that up then (!)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

They might still be worrying about how this went for them last time?
    They campaigned last time? Thats news to me.
  • Options

blueblue was saying the same on the last thread. Granted it is very early so far, but they don't seem to have gotten going yet, it's been about the LDs wanting to be in the debates, Labour with a few eye catching spends, and Farage deciding he'd rather see Brexit dead than be sub par. When do the Tories really kick off?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

The campaign does not start officially until Wednesday when Boris launches the Tories campaign in the Midlands and Parliament is dissolved, though I was delivering Tory leaflets in Harlow on Saturday
  • Options
    Endillion said:

After weeks getting excited over how crap Swinson is, I've now concluded she's actually too crap to do her job, which is to split the Remain vote and gift Johnson his landslide.

I'm therefore in two minds over the debates: is it better she does them and has a chance of getting some notes back due to exposure, or will this simply throw her crapness into sharp relief, exacerbating the problem?

Because he won’t face her, she would wipe the floor with him
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Toms said:

I wonder if what Churchill said of the Americans(*) applies to us on this side of the Atlantic

(*) "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Seems that he may not have said such a thing. I didn't recognise the quote, so I looked it up.

He did say (or so it seems) something quite similar about democracy. That was a quote I knew, and it sort of surprised me that he'd say such a similar thing about the Americans.

I don't think we're even slightly adventurous in our forms of government, and probably not in much else either.

(Was trying to think if there's a country that has really explored a good many forms of government - Germany I guess, albeit that it was only in parts of Germany that they explored some things)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    kle4 said:

blueblue was saying the same on the last thread. Granted it is very early so far, but they don't seem to have gotten going yet, it's been about the LDs wanting to be in the debates, Labour with a few eye catching spends, and Farage deciding he'd rather see Brexit dead than be sub par. When do the Tories really kick off?
    Wednesday is the Conservative's national launch, once Parliament has been formally dissolved.
  • Options

Apparently the Tory campaign will be like 2015 with a highly focussed targeted social media campaign.

So whilst Labour do the ground game the Tories look a bit silent.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Bishop Auckland, Grimsby, Vale of Clwyd, Penistone and Stockbridge, Gower, Wrexham, Weaver Vale, Rother Valley, Darlington, Ashfield etc seats the Tories could gain thanks to Labour voters going Brexit Party
  • Options
    So after she withdrew herself Harriet Harman didn't endorse the only woman left standing who was herself an experienced Deputy Speaker? Her whole "it should be a woman" line was just self-serving bullshit to suit her own agenda and not a point of principle in gender politics? What about the cringeworthy #SpeakHer did she not really mean it?

Colour me shocked! Absolutely shocked!

;)
  • Options

Weird

Well that clears that up then (!)

I am still digging. There are a number of errors in the javascript, but they all appear to be ad-related.

This error is generally from an HTTP directive intended to stop cross-site scripting attacks. Why it has suddenly triggered in Chrome is the question.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,873

It has been a quiet start to the Con campaign. Hopefully they are currently focus grouping the crap out of the manifesto so there's no "dementia tax" clangers this time...
  • Options

Official start is wednesday as parliament prorogues tomorrow

Understand Boris is to launch his campaign in the midlands later this week

Good move staying away from London
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think the Tories will go with the cult of personality again, with none of the frong bench on show. To be fair, they are a bunch of numpties unlikely to impress. I suspect that Lab will go for a broader public face. John McDonnell in particular is good on TV. The LDs too, with Layla, Ed Davey and Chuka being prominent, and all good media performers.
  • Options

Apparently the Tory campaign will be like 2015 with a highly focussed targeted social media campaign.

That was very successful but they did have a credible leader and top team at the time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wednesday is the Conservative's national launch, once Parliament has been formally dissolved.
    Great news! So the only way from there is downhill?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nichomar said:

Endillion said:

Goodness, a response even less self-aware and more arrogant than my original comment.
  • Options
    OK - a full clear of all the browser cache (not just the PB bit) seems to have worked. It looks like the HTTP security directive is triggered when a copy is served from the browser cache.

Oh well. Now that that is sorted, back to the fun.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Ushuaia at the southern tip of Tierro del Feugo sells itself as "Fin del Mundo".

Workington should sue.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,873
    How many times today have we seen that bloody clock on parliaments live feed? :D
  • Options
    The top 50 achievements of Boris Johnson, Prime Minister.
    1.Invented lie about EU law on straight bananas
    2.Invented lie about EU banning prawn cocktails
    3.Invented lie about EU introducing mandatory smaller coffins
    4.Invented lie about EU demanding plastic wrapping around kippers
    5.Lied that 80 million people from Turkey would come to UK if we didn't leave EU
    6.Sacked from The Times for inventing a quote then lying about having invented
    7.Found guilty of misrepresenting facts by IPSO
    8.Sacked from Tory front-bench for lying about an affair
    9.Accused of misuse of public funds, because it appears he gave £126,000, for no valid reason, to a pole-dancer he boasted he was having an affair with
    10.Recorded discussing a plot to break a journalist's ribs and give him "a couple of black eyes" in a conversation with his friend Darius Guppy, a convicted fraudster
    11.Referred to Commonwealth citizens as "picaninnies", racist term for black children
    12.Described black people as having "watermelon smiles"
    13.Forced by Telegraph to apologise for describing the people of Papua New Guinea as "cannibals"
    14.Suggested reinstating British control over former colonies - essentially restarting The Empire
    15.Campaigned to have a deal before we leave the EU, and to stay in the Single Market
    16.… then sacked 21 of his own MPs, including the longest-serving MP and Winston Churchill's grandson, for voting to get a deal before we leave the EU and to stay in the Single Market
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Know it well. The media have totally misrepresented it. Although called Workington it embraces a huge rural area full of sheep by the million and Tories by the thousand, as well as the Tory town of Cockermouth.

• Options

The top 50 achievements of Boris Johnson, Prime Minister.
    1.Invented lie about EU law on straight bananas
    2.Invented lie about EU banning prawn cocktails
    3.Invented lie about EU introducing mandatory smaller coffins
    4.Invented lie about EU demanding plastic wrapping around kippers
    5.Lied that 80 million people from Turkey would come to UK if we didn't leave EU
    6.Sacked from The Times for inventing a quote then lying about having invented
    7.Found guilty of misrepresenting facts by IPSO
    8.Sacked from Tory front-bench for lying about an affair
    9.Accused of misuse of public funds, because it appears he gave £126,000, for no valid reason, to a pole-dancer he boasted he was having an affair with
    10.Recorded discussing a plot to break a journalist's ribs and give him "a couple of black eyes" in a conversation with his friend Darius Guppy, a convicted fraudster
    11.Referred to Commonwealth citizens as "picaninnies", racist term for black children
    12.Described black people as having "watermelon smiles"
    13.Forced by Telegraph to apologise for describing the people of Papua New Guinea as "cannibals"
    14.Suggested reinstating British control over former colonies - essentially restarting The Empire
    15.Campaigned to have a deal before we leave the EU, and to stay in the Single Market
    16.… then sacked 21 of his own MPs, including the longest-serving MP and Winston Churchill's grandson, for voting to get a deal before we leave the EU and to stay in the Single Market

Errr... that is 16, not 50. Unless..........

Ah ha!!

You are Dianne Abbot and I claim my £5,000
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Boris probably is nervous of facing Swinson, or at least his handlers are, because of fears that a man with a woman problem will be seen as bullying a woman.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    nichomar said:

Endillion said:

That's something I find both unnerving and agreeable to visualize.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It has been a quiet start to the Con campaign. Hopefully they are currently focus grouping the crap out of the manifesto so there's no "dementia tax" clangers this time...
    State pension rise, end to benefits freeze, more money for the police announced etc
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    Don’t really understand the grounds on which it’s been determined that Swinson is crap. Truth is she’s fundamentally untested as yet.

I think she’s right to make a fuss about the fact of her exclusion, but that exclusion should play well for her. What I think the debate is likely to show is how manifestly unfit both men are fit for the post of prime minister. The response of the audience is likely to be ‘gawd, there’s got to be some better alternative than those two ...’
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

You reckon Labour and LibDems aren't doing social media? :wink:
  • Options
    Johnson campaigned to stay in the Single Market? Are you inventing your own lies @bigjohnowls ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUI5A1Gd5D0
  • Options
    Top 50 achievements of Johnson PM
    17.Wrote insulting poem about the people of Turkey, then "apologised" to the President of Turkey by complimenting his washing machine
    18.Questioned the repeal of the ban on producing information about homosexuality
    19.Wrote an article scoring female delegates to the Labour Party conference on his "tottyometer"
    20.Said "Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts"
    21.Described gay men as "bum-boys"
    22.Said "Islamophobia — fear of Islam — seems a natural reaction"
    23.Said the UK must accept that "Islam is the problem"
    24.Referred to Muslim women as looking like "bank robbers" and "post-boxes"
    25.Blamed Hillsborough on Liverpool fans, then described the victims as "whingeing scousers"
    26.Found to have broken the Ministerial Code by failing to declare income
    27.Said Libya could be the new Dubai if "they clear the dead bodies away"
    28.Recited racist colonial-era poem in Buddhist temple, and had to be stopped and castigated by the British Ambassador
    29.At the World Islamic Economic Forum, said that Malaysian women only attended university in order to find husbands
    30.Got a British Citizen, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, jailed in Iran because he mistakenly called her a spy
    31.Bought water cannon that are illegal to use in the UK at a cost of £333,000. They were sold for scrap, unused
    32.Doubled rough-sleeping when he was Mayor of London
    33.Spent £46m on a garden bridge that had absolutely zero construction done.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

The Tory launch is Thursday after Parliament dissolves on Wednesday.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,276

I've never heard her speak, but it's funny how female politicians are a minority and yet a big majority of complaints about the sound of a politician's voice are about female politicians.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

The Telegraph reported that Johnson spent last weekend at leisure in the New Forest with Carrie Symonds while Corbyn was campaigning,
  • Options
    kamski said:

I've never heard her speak, but it's funny how female politicians are a minority and yet a big majority of complaints about the sound of a politician's voice are about female politicians.
    Yep it's misogyny. Pure and simple.
  • Options

Ground game in the cold dark winter nights?

Fun game.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Boris probably is nervous of facing Swinson, or at least his handlers are, because of fears that a man with a woman problem will be seen as bullying a woman.
    The candidate in the lead is always unwilling to risk it with debates. It is a chance for the challenger but not for the leader.

Of course that did backfire for May.

• Options
    Top 50
    34.As Mayor of London, spent £500,000 on a cable-car - the most expensive ever built - that has an average of 4 daily users
    35.Claimed he had introduced Oyster cards. They were introduced 5 years before he became Mayor
    36.As Mayor, claimed he had made serious youth crime fall, when Met figures showed the opposite
    37.Promised £350m a week for NHS (at time of writing, owes NHS £57.7 billion)
    38.Had police called to his house during his actual job interview as PM
    39.Refused to take part in any debates when campaigning to become PM
    40.Said "fuck business" when presented with concerns about Brexit
    41.Refuses to admit how many children he has
    42.Broke the law by illegally proroguing parliament to shut down debate
    43.Broke the record for the most parliamentary defeats in a day, then next day, broke it again
    44.Has been accused of 2 acts of sexual harassment. Entirely coincidentally, he has said investigations into accusations of sexual harassment were "spaffing money up the wall"
    45.Called himself The Hulk because he wanted to appear tough, then refused to take part in a press conference because he might be jeered at
    46.Lied, on camera, about there being no press present when confronted by a distraught father in a hospital
    47.Said, on camera, that claims of death threats against female PMs were "humbug"
    48.Days later, said, on camera, that he had never said "humbug"
    49.His own brother resigned rather than work with him
    50.His own sister says he is "highly reprehensible"
  • Options
    The reason the Tories are quiet is that they don't have any ideas.

I'm serious. After 9 years they have run out of ideas. They are obsessed by one thing and one thing only, which 75% of the electorate aren't as fussed about as they are a range of other things in their lives.
  • Options

The Tory launch is Thursday after Parliament dissolves on Wednesday.
    It dissolves tomorrow
  • Options

I'm serious. After 9 years they have run out of ideas. They are obsessed by one thing and one thing only, which 75% of the electorate aren't as fussed about as they are a range of other things in their lives.

You’re quite right.

But nobody else has any ideas either.

Other than Corbyn whose ideas veer from the mad to the disastrous via the merely amusing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

State pension rise, end to benefits freeze, more money for the police announced etc
    Free unicorns for under five’s a cure for cancer, free tv license for anybody over 18, a no deal/FTA agreement with the EU, no solution to dementia care unrestrained spending based on borrowing to support tax cuts without beneficial infrastructure investment, replacing the police that we cut, continuing to fail to build the houses that are needed ......
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

I think the Tories will go with the cult of personality again, with none of the frong bench on show. To be fair, they are a bunch of numpties unlikely to impress. I suspect that Lab will go for a broader public face. John McDonnell in particular is good on TV. The LDs too, with Layla, Ed Davey and Chuka being prominent, and all good media performers.
    You don't think Labour has a personality cult?

"oh Jeremy Corbyn" - from this week
  • Options
    edited November 2019

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1190576786083418114?s=20
  • Options

Hence the genius of the Tory campaign: let's "get Brexit done" because we're all bored and want to move on.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Good job that no social media platform has banned political ads then........
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

All parties get behind their leader as the election gets near. The others do have other front benches on the news though, not just the leader.

• Options
    I have no problem with Jo v Boris v Jeremy

But now I understand Nicola, Nigel and others are demanding they are also included

This needs to be put before a commission but it is too late for this GE
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes I stayed in a guest house whwer the journey from the bedroom to the en suite was worse than the Krypton Factor assault course. Most frightening night of my life (including my Tunisian shooting one)
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

It does require having a personality....
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Yep. It's as mysterious to me as is antisemitism for example.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Bishop Auckland, Grimsby, Vale of Clwyd, Penistone and Stockbridge, Gower, Wrexham, Weaver Vale, Rother Valley, Darlington, Ashfield etc seats the Tories could gain thanks to Labour voters going Brexit Party
    Workington is very rural. Darlington and Grimsby certainly are not.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

You’re quite right.

Other than Corbyn whose ideas veer from the mad to the disastrous via the merely amusing.
    :wink:

I loved the ban on private planes idea. That will gain lots of support, even if you throw your hands in the air in horror. Most amusing.

It's by far the most interesting election of my life thanks almost entirely to Labour. I mean ... wow ... it's seriously radical stuff. Makes Michael Foot look like a Blairite :smiley:
  • Options

But now I understand Nicola, Nigel and others are demanding they are also included

Farage should be there and any other party standing enough candidates to form a majority ty. Regional parties should be on regional TV simples
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    camel said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Workington is very rural. Darlington and Grimsby certainly are not.
    They are still strong Leave won by the Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections
  • Options

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1191435964662665221?s=20
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Just checked the news for the first time in 3 hours and surprised to see they're still voting in the Speakership election. Can't be long now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You’re quite right.

:wink:

I loved the ban on private planes idea. That will gain lots of support, even if you throw your hands in the air in horror. Most amusing.

It's by far the most interesting election of my life thanks almost entirely to Labour. I mean ... wow ... it's seriously radical stuff. Makes Michael Foot look like a Blairite :smiley:
    Bet it doesn’t apply to him and McCluskey though.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    nichomar said:

Farage should be there and any other party standing enough candidates to form a majority ty. Regional parties should be on regional TV simples
    Nigel isn't running. Neither is Nicola. If anyone takes part it should be Blackford and whomever the senior candidate is for the BXP.
  • Options

So new hospitals, uprate education funding, 20,000 new police, end of austerity with inflation rises plus specific 3.9% rise in the pension, moratorium on fracking, investment in prisons with airport strength screening to keep out drugs, longer sentences, point style immigration system andmore to come in the manifesto

40% of the public in yesterday's poll said brexit is their main concern, 60% in Wales
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just checked the news for the first time in 3 hours and surprised to see they're still voting in the Speakership election. Can't be long now.

Result due in next 15 mins.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

A lot of people have probably visited the Lake District town of Cockermouth which is in the Workington constituency. I visited it on a school field-trip in 1996.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You’re quite right.

Banning private jets the latest nonsense
  • Options

That's an odd way of looking at it. Yes there are other things important for people, but if they were not 'fussed' about Brexit parliament would never have arrived at a complete impasse, because they would have faced less pressure to go into their extremist positions and refuse to compromise in the first place.

People are very much fussed about it, even if other things are also important.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You’re quite right.

Banning private jets the latest nonsense
    That wa done of the ones I was thinking of that’s amusing.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    nichomar said:

Farage should be there and any other party standing enough candidates to form a majority. Regional parties should be on regional TV simples
    I completely agree. Just because something is unlikely doesn't make it impossible - Nicola Sturgeon can't be PM of the UK because the SNP isn't standing in East Ham or anywhere else in England I imagine.

I suppose the flaw would be if a wealthy enough person got £326k and 326 willing volunteers or paid people to stand he or she would be entitled to a space at the leaders' debate but the relationship between democracy and money has always been complicated.

As I always say you can have as much democracy as you want or are willing to pay for.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Nigel isn't running. Neither is Nicola. If anyone takes part it should be Blackford and whomever the senior candidate is for the BXP.
    Ok replace farage with Tice but no need for SNP to be featured in debates where the have no candidates.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993

nichomar said:

Blackford is rather under-rated. Very quick on his feet, and I suspect he’d make mincemeat of Johnson and Corbyn.
  • Options
    Result imminent.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think people are actually bored by it, not fussed.
  • Options
    Bryant 213
    Hoyle 325
  • Options
    Lindsay Hoyle gets exactly 50% of the membership of the House.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Bryant 213
    Hoyle 325

Excellent news!
  • Options
    They're back
  • Options
    And my prediction was correct (see 1st post on this thread)

I should have put a fiver on....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lindsay Hoyle gets exactly 50% of the membership of the House.

Shame.

All the most convincing mandates are 52%.
  • Options

Bryant 213
    Hoyle 325

Convincing win for Hoyle, well done him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1190576786083418114?s=20
    There must be a sweet point for the Conservatives where the 2:1 ratio of Labour/Tory voters going LibDem delivers Labour seats before suffering crushing losses themselves to the LibDems. Anyone done any work on where that point is?
  • Options

And my prediction was correct (see 1st post on this thread)

I should have put a fiver on....

I put a tenner on.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think people are actually bored by it, not fussed.
    Their actions beg to differ, which is why we are in the position we are, with such entrenched positions, which the public support.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bryant 213
    Hoyle 325

Excellent news!

The right decision.
This discussion has been closed.