Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov boost for Swinson in the TV debates row

Comments

• Options
    never mind the girl guide leader from Bearsden and her screeching like Violet Elizabeth, what about the poll just released in Wales which if followed through at the GE would see the Tories take lovely Labour seats the length of the Principality
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,323
    kinabalu said:

Comments containing Tweets from parody accounts will be deleted.

Great call - but what about those genuinely and sometimes very funny and obviously satirical ones?
    So Byronic actually has a fan?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I don’t remember much about Alan Williams’ performance when Bercow was elected. I do remember the dismal performance of Heath when Martin was shoehorned in in the most blatant stitch up since Richard III appointed his private solicitor as Speaker, er, elected.

I have to say I think that from what I have seen that Clarke is doing a magnificent job in presiding over this debate. A sad thought it is his last act as an MP, but what a fitting way to end.

Perhaps one political career that will not end in failure?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:
    I understand Ms Hunter's point and she is probably correct, yet there is a possibility, although vanishingly small, that Ms Swinson could be PM, whereas Ms Sturgeon is in a different legislature.

Should a journalist be making sweeping assumptions like that? Even so, Ms Swinson should have given the journalist both (verbal) barrels rather than running away like brave Sir Robin.
    It's a fake account.
    How is anyone supposed to know?
    Worrying how many PB’ers are willing to repost a tweet without even taking a second to look. This is a long campaign, guys, and really we can do better than this.
    Sorry - I take things at face value. If I researched and verified everything first I would never get anything done.
    If in the modern world, you take things at face value, politics is very low on the list of things you should be spending your time worrying about.
    I do not worry about politics.
    Then you have time to worry about not spamming crap into this forum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The opprobrium Tory Swinson gets on here is seriously disconcerting. She seems a perfectly nice lady to me, PBers’ loathing for her really is bizarre.

I'd get not liking her, but the disdain and outright hostility seems quite disproportionate.
    And contrived.
  • Options

The opprobrium Tory Swinson gets on here is seriously disconcerting. She seems a perfectly nice lady to me, PBers’ loathing for her really is bizarre.

She's a threat. She has to be neutralised in case she gathers momentum.
    Momentum? Corbyn's job surely?
  • Options

As a Lib Dem activist I'm finding it both interesting and encouraging. Clearly the other parties wouldn't be instructing their keyboard armies to rubbish her if they weren't worried about her.
  • Options
  • Options

If it was that, I’d be relatively reassured. LibDems have always attracted disproportionate flak from the old parties because they are the only real threat to their cosy two-party cartel (aka political stitch up).

But I fear that the fact that she is a younger female politician does have something to do with it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Wales returning to form, LDs down, BXP down but not out - both LDs and Tories best hope this not a trend.

What is interesting about the latest Wales poll is that, whereas the LD to Lab shift reflects the last batch of national polls, the slight Tory dip and the tick up for BXP is new.
    That poll was not promising for the the tories blue collar strategy really.
    I disagree. If that poll is accurate then the Tories are already looking at perhaps gaining a quarter or a third of the seats they need to secure a working majority just from the Welsh gains.

I suspect Johnson would be delighted with that outcome.
    6 weeks is a long time in politics especially when the Tories are starting high, have little left to gain and a lot to lose.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:
    I understand Ms Hunter's point and she is probably correct, yet there is a possibility, although vanishingly small, that Ms Swinson could be PM, whereas Ms Sturgeon is in a different legislature.

Should a journalist be making sweeping assumptions like that? Even so, Ms Swinson should have given the journalist both (verbal) barrels rather than running away like brave Sir Robin.
    It's a fake account.
    It does say in the bio, apologies I should have said.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

ydoethur said:

I don’t remember much about Alan Williams’ performance when Bercow was elected. I do remember the dismal performance of Heath when Martin was shoehorned in in the most blatant stitch up since Richard III appointed his private solicitor as Speaker, er, elected.

I have to say I think that from what I have seen that Clarke is doing a magnificent job in presiding over this debate. A sad thought it is his last act as an MP, but what a fitting way to end.

Perhaps one political career that will not end in failure?
    It already has. He never became Tory leader or PM.

There is a case to be made that he was not the right person to hold either role at the time he should have done, in about 1995-98. But when you consider who we have now...
  • Options
    Incidentally, I am amazed that a parody twitter account is a deletion offence while this comment is still up:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2572454/#Comment_2572454
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Charles said:

Is this the third or fourth thread arguing that Swinson should be given prime time billing despite representing a marginally important party with only a few MPs elected last time?

A Tory supporter in favour of skewing the odds against one of their opponents. I'm shocked!
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    HYUFD said:

Broadly, I support the smaller parties being in the TV debates .... although as usual it seems the LibDems want all the other smaller parties to stand down, so it is only them & Tory & Labour.

I don't imagine a TV debate with all of the parties will be very insightful, but there should be some good comedy if the gang's all there.

I don't possess, and never watch, TV.

In 2015 there was one Cameron and Miliband debate, 2 multiparty leader debates and one Cameron, Miliband and Clegg debate.

In 2010 all the debates were Cameron, Brown and Clegg
    The 2015 Cameron Miliband one wasn't a debate, but grilling from Paxman, likewise the final debate was separate question time sessions from the audience. One of the leaders debates was a "challengers debate" and excluded Cameron and Clegg for some reason. Too many different formats.

The 2010 debates were good, a shame the narrative caught on that they "sucked up the energy of the campaign". In those debates we actually did learn quite a bit from each party and they were taken seriously. 2015 was ok and 2017 a complete waste of time.

A head to head between Corbyn and Johnson will make for much better viewing than another 7 way debate. There should probably be a multiparty one too but I imagine it would be skipped by Johnson.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

As a Lib Dem activist I'm finding it both interesting and encouraging. Clearly the other parties wouldn't be instructing their keyboard armies to rubbish her if they weren't worried about her.
    The difficulty is that at present most people see the views of those that they don't agree with on Brexit to be lunacy, or worse. This is mainly because all the parties have totally indefensible positions, but also entirely sensible (in a certain light) positions.

Stick into the mix the Independence argument from the SNP, which again has problems on all sides for in terms of sense, and you get where we are now.

All this boils down to the worrying situation where a true loon... I'd suggest Corbyn, but you can choose your loon-of-the-moment can hide in plain sight.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally, I am amazed that a parody twitter account is a deletion offence while this comment is still up:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2572454/#Comment_2572454

Why delete it? It lets everyone know how unpleasant he is.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

The key thing about the Wales poll - and it is just a hint - is that the Tories might have peaked.

From where else are they going to get extra vote share?

If the only way is down for the Tories then, in terms of the betting at least, we would be wise to try and spot this a tad earlier than most PB’ers (myself included) did in 2017.

It is a very good poll for the Tories -- realistically, the only other two seats in Wales they could ever possibly win are Ynys Mon & Newport East. Ynys Mon does change hands on the poll & I think the Tories can't be far behind Plaid Cymru.

The Tories are never going to win the Valleys seats, they are (probably) never going to win the Welsh speaking heartlands.

I think it would be unwise to argue from this Welsh poll (where the Tories are close to maxed out) that they can't increase extra vote share elsewhere in the UK (e.g. in the West Midlands).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It's a fake account.
    Naughty! :p
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

If it was that, I’d be relatively reassured. LibDems have always attracted disproportionate flak from the old parties because they are the only real threat to their cosy two-party cartel (aka political stitch up).

But I fear that the fact that she is a younger female politician does have something to do with it.
    Ian I don’t think it’s is that they can not cope with their duopoly being challenged because they need each other. It has always been the liberal/ lib dem leader who has been at the front of so called satire. From Norman Scott’s dog to shrill shouty Jo it’s their best attack line. Yes all politicians are victims but it is in both their best interests to turn their guns onus.
  • Options

I didn't think parody posts were allowed anymore? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Why delete it? It lets everyone know how unpleasant he is.
    Because accusing somebody of being a paedophile is undoubtedly libellous. Especially since it was clearly motivated by malice and with the deliberate intent to smear in response to a critical (admittedly rather unwise) post.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

May i remind everyone that this is the person who would only abide by a referendum result if it corresponded with her view.
    She should be given the same treatment as all other politicians who treat the public with contempt.
  • Options

I didn't think parody posts were allowed anymore? ;)
    She’s got no chance of gaining momentum. They’re obsessive Corbynistas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    IanB2 said:

The key thing about the Wales poll - and it is just a hint - is that the Tories might have peaked.

If the only way is down for the Tories then, in terms of the betting at least, we would be wise to try and spot this a tad earlier than most PB’ers (myself included) did in 2017.

The Tory gains in that Welsh poll alone would get the Tories close to a majority, let alone with gains in the North, the Midlands and London from Labour too
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    nichomar said:

Rick Wakeman from six wives?

Think so yes. Not my genre by any means but somehow perfect for this.
  • Options
    sirclive said:

IanB2 said:

May i remind everyone that this is the person who would only abide by a referendum result if it corresponded with her view.
    She should be given the same treatment as all other politicians who treat the public with contempt.
    Can you name five politicians in serious positions that haven’t treated the public with contempt?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It's a fake account.
    :+1:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

Rick Wakeman from six wives?

Think so yes. Not my genre by any means but somehow perfect for this.
    Still have it on vinyl absolutely superb music.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    IanB2 said:

It is fact she is crap and economical with the truth. A dogmatic toerag.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

It is OPINION she is crap and economical with the truth. A dogmatic toerag.
    Fact or OPINION?

You thickie
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Fact or OPINION?

You thickie
    Fact for me you cretinous half witted moron. Back under your rock where you belong.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    The Speaker election's a long drawn out process isn't it?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Yet another post from north of the border that adds significant insight and analysis into the debate.
  • Options

No loathing on my part. Just a political critique. Mainly orientated on her playing the gender card over and over again. And I think her star is on the wane.

Also, why is she a “Tory”? Yes, she’s attracted some Conservative defectors. Other than that I can’t think of a single Conservative thing about her.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

sirclive said:

IanB2 said:

Can you name five politicians in serious positions that haven’t treated the public with contempt?
    Boris Johnson
    David Cameron
    George Osborne
    Michael Gove

And to pick a Liberal: John Howard
  • Options
    They are back...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

The Tory gains in that Welsh poll alone would get the Tories close to a majority, let alone with gains in the North, the Midlands and London from Labour too
    Farage has said he will not stand candidates against conservatives signing the pledge as under

Thank you to @BillCashMP for underlining, once more, his #StandUp4Brexit commitment.

✔️ #BackBoris’ deal to #GetBrexitDone

✔️ Back ‘no deal’ if the WA hasn’t been passed by 31st January https://t.co/UWvL7KkKFp
  • Options
    Hoyle is only 16 votes short I think
  • Options
    267 Hoyle
  • Options

Hoyle v Bryant now.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Wonder what the rationale is of people voting for Bryant.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    edited November 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    I wonder if Sir lindsey is getting Tory votes because of his rejection of the votes for EU citzs and for 16/17 year olds last week. Looks like a smart move by him.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

nichomar said:

sirclive said:

IanB2 said:

Boris Johnson
    David Cameron
    George Osborne
    Michael Gove

I think Osborne did with his punishment budget. nobody believed he would ever do it.
  • Options
    Artist said:

They want the speaker to be nakedly neutral?
  • Options
    Artist said:

Probably Labour MPs voting to stop “Tory” Hoyle.

Such is the perverse moronic reasoning of politics these days.
  • Options

Hoyle v Bryant now.
    Looks like Hoyle, but pleased I am on Bryant at 40/1
  • Options
    Artist said:

To force Lindsay Hoyle to stand in a winnable seat for the conservatives
  • Options
    “It could go any way.”

No, it couldn’t. It will be Hoyle. The vast majority of Laing’s votes will go to him.

Bryant is wasting everyone’s time.
  • Options

Artist said:

Doesn’t work. Bryant is an arch-Blairite.
  • Options
    Oddly, the electorate has dropped by 10 votes in this latest round with two spoiled ballots.

Some MPs aren’t happy.
  • Options

Oddly, the electorate has dropped by 10 votes in this latest round with two spoiled ballots.

Some MPs aren’t happy.

More like dinner is a higher priority.
  • Options

Artist said:

Would you believe it is the opposite
  • Options

“It could go any way.”

No, it couldn’t. It will be Hoyle. The vast majority of Laing’s votes will go to him.

Yes the Laing vote will go en masse to Hoyle.

Well done Eleanor too on a credible performance
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Farage has said he will not stand candidates against conservatives signing the pledge as under

Thank you to @BillCashMP for underlining, once more, his #StandUp4Brexit commitment.

✔️ Back ‘no deal’ if the WA hasn’t been passed by 31st January https://t.co/UWvL7KkKFp
    Isn't that an easy pledge to sign up to?
  • Options

nichomar said:

sirclive said:

IanB2 said:

Boris Johnson
    David Cameron
    George Osborne
    Michael Gove

I’ll give you Osborne but will say Steve Webb David Heath Norman lamb to an extent ashdown and Kennedy Campbell , as for Johnson that is a ludicrous suggstion
  • Options
    Hmmm... Vanilla has stopped working on Chrome, but if I go to incognito mode in Chrome, It works again.

Weird
  • Options

“It could go any way.”

Bryant could very well be another Bercow. Hoyle is a stable candidate for what is likely to be a turbulent couple of years in parliament.

A Lancastrian is the sensible choice.
  • Options

Artist said:

To force Lindsay Hoyle to stand in a winnable seat for the conservatives
    The Brexit Party will stand in Chorley even if he becomes Speaker
  • Options

Hmmm... Vanilla has stopped working on Chrome, but if I go to incognito mode in Chrome, It works again.

Weird

This happened the other day, go into Settings and clear out your cache, and it should work fine.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

I think this is where the truce with Farage is heading but of course no deal WTO is the likely destination
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

It's No Deal on 1st January 2021 anyway even if we leave on Jan 31st as there won't be time to agree any deal and get it ratified within the EU.
  • Options

Some MPs aren’t happy.

More like dinner is a higher priority.
    Maybe it’s Harperson?
  • Options

Weird

Keeps doing the same for me but is ok after I delete the history
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Sorry where does it say farage will not stand candidates in that thread?
  • Options

Weird

I will give that a go and see. Thank you.
  • Options

Weird

Works on Chrome on my Mac.

But Firefox has now stopped working.

I swapped to Firefox some weeks ago because Chrome stopped working!!!
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1191415158331056128?s=20

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1191412011311288320?s=20

I wonder if HYUFD's confidence is just a touch dented today?

Eerily reminiscent of 2017. I could be wrong and everyone decides Johnson is Dionysus reborn whilst Corbyn is Daemon.

Or, as I think most likely, people are starting to focus on what really matters in their lives. Clue: the answers don't begin with B and end in T.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

It's No Deal on 1st January 2021 anyway even if we leave on Jan 31st as there won't be time to agree any deal and get it ratified within the EU.
    Don’t tell them your name pike!
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

And that is the common denominator between ERG and Farage
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Remarkable that two Labour MPs are the final two, despite the Tories being the largest party. Doesn’t say much for their confidence in their own?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Or, as I think most likely, people are starting to focus on what really matters in their lives. Clue: the answers don't begin with B and end in T.

Agreed.

Tomatoes And lettuce spoil a good bacon sarnie.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Sorry where does it say farage will not stand candidates in that thread?
    He has already said he will not stand candidates committed to the pledge
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:
    Remarkable that two Labour MPs are the final two, despite the Tories being the largest party. Doesn’t say much for their confidence in their own?
    It’s not remarkable, it is because it is their turn
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:
    Both finalists in 2009 were Conservatives despite Labour’s large majority. Think the general feeling that this time the Speaker should be Labour.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Yet another post from north of the border that adds significant insight and analysis into the debate.
    Short , sharp and to the point, you cannot ask for any better. Can you imagine any good points about her.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:
    Both finalists in 2009 were Conservatives despite Labour’s large majority. Think the general feeling that this time the Speaker should be Labour.
    He was last time.
  • Options
    Although I think Chris Bryant is being a trifle wearying, it's good if Hoyle can pass 300 and have a resounding result.
  • Options

JohnO said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:
    He was last time.
    Bercow has been on quite a journey.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,136
    edited November 2019

Eerily reminiscent of 2017. I could be wrong and everyone decides Johnson is Dionysus reborn whilst Corbyn is Daemon.

The Squeeze is on.

Just as pb.com yet again backs the wrong of horse by saying of course our future PM Swinson must be in the debates.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Short , sharp and to the point, you cannot ask for any better. Can you imagine any good points about her.
    I hope TSE isn’t reading this!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Tomatoes And lettuce spoil a good bacon sarnie.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Fact or OPINION?

You thickie
    Fact for me you cretinous half witted moron. Back under your rock where you belong.
    Whereas you can only dream and aspire to being under a rock of your own? ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350

The (stop) Brexit Party doing some serious damage there. Will that happen in reality? I have my doubts.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:
    Shame Blair didn’t care about such things. We could have been spared nine years of Martin and had Alan Haslehurst instead.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Simple she is not sturgeon Johnson or corbyn you don’t need any more info
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    DavidL said:

The (stop) Brexit Party doing some serious damage there. Will that happen in reality? I have my doubts.
    Since 2016 Leave has repeatedly shot itself in the foot. Why would that stop now?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502
    DavidL said:

Me too. If it isn't clear yet that a vote for TBP makes Brexit less likely in most cases, it will certainly be made abundantly so over the coming weeks.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:
    Shame Blair didn’t care about such things. We could have been spared nine years of Martin and had Alan Haslehurst instead.
    If its Lindsay this will be the first time both sides of the House have been happy with the Speaker since Betty?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    I have a feeling that the right will lament our lack of Proportional Representation after this election.

Serves them right.
  • Options

I have a feeling that the right will lament our lack of Proportional Representation after this election.

Serves them right.

I don't speak for others, but I know that I won't change my view on PR just because I got a result I didn't like.
  • Options

What the Tories lead over both Labour and the LDs increased with ICM today and the Labour lead in Wales slashed from 16% in 2017 to just 1% today with Yougov?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,737

DavidL said:

Me too. If it isn't clear yet that a vote for TBP makes Brexit less likely in most cases, it will certainly be made abundantly so over the coming weeks.
    You're assuming that the 15% or so who are likely to vote TBP are swayed by logic.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

Serves them right.

I don't speak for others, but I know that I won't change my view on PR just because I got a result I didn't like.
    Rubbish. If ‘leave’ parties won more than 50% of the vote combined but the election returned a ‘remain’ parliament you’d be whining from high heaven.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I wonder if what Churchill said of the Americans(*) applies to us on this side of the Atlantic

(*) "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."
  • Options

RobD said:

Serves them right.

Rubbish. If ‘leave’ parties won more than 50% of the vote combined but the election returned a ‘remain’ party you’d be whining from high heaven.
    No, I wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

DavidL said:

Farage said today Cameron only got a majority in 2015 due to UKIP taking Labour votes, in areas like Workington that is still the case

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1190402686828580865?s=20
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    Captain underpants, who has never shown any ability to rise above the partisan vs hoyle. Surely our MPs arent stupid enough to vote for the former.
This discussion has been closed.