Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Scottish play. Will Wales follow Scotland and abandon Labo

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Noo, although it's doomed, MacBeth has some great lines.

I especially like "Give me mine armour, I'll fight till from my bones my flesh be hack'd".

Reminds me I need to return to the Complete Works. Only got a couple of comedies left, then it's tragedies, I think.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Noo said:

Noo said:

I live here and i can tell, however much malcolmg likes to pretend otherwise, the SNP are nowadays hated by many people in the NE and are going to get panned in Dec. Their incompetence in government, their corruption, their utter uselessness with regard to the whisky and fishing industries will all play against them.

Useless, lazy english journalists never come up here and ask people what WE actually think.

They are probably afraid they'll run into someone like you.
    When all they do is ask shouty, dreary, entitled middle class nats like you.

Christ, are we bored with you lot up here.
    Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

As i say, Christ are we bored with you lot.
    But you don't even seem to know what my "lot" even is.
    Unless you mean you're bored of people who have a higher IQ than a yoghurt.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

(Completely separately, I would rather see Trump re-elected. Because it should be him who has to deal with the economic consequences of tariffs and reigniting the US debt and consumption bubble.)

Are you not mistaking him for someone who would care?
    If someone else takes over, they will be blamed for the economic consequences of Trump's policies. It therefore increases the chance that the problem will be misdiagnosed.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Pastor in a Gospel Megachurch in Louisiana with a largely African American congregation tweets that Democrats should not vote for Buttigieg as he is in a gay marriage

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/11/03/megachurch-pastor-democrats-reject-pete-buttigieg-not-time-gay-president/

https://twitter.com/BishopPMorton/status/1190599704876322816?s=20

The amusing bit, of course, is that Buttigieg is geniunely a Christian, unlike the current incumbent of the White House, and I suspect a personally moral man. Buttigieg has also served his country in Afghanistan, which he did by choice, not by the draft.

The Democrats win when the have young, articulate (perhaps even inexperienced) candidates: Obama, Clinton, JFK, even Carter in 76.

They win when they have candidates who are blank slates onto which voters can project their own hopes.

I think it's clear who that candidate is.

Now, he win and he might not. But there's probably quite a strong intersection between those people who wouldn't vote for a black candidate and those who wouldn't vote for a gay one.
    In the minus column, he's called Buttigieg.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Pastor in a Gospel Megachurch in Louisiana with a largely African American congregation tweets that Democrats should not vote for Buttigieg as he is in a gay marriage

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/11/03/megachurch-pastor-democrats-reject-pete-buttigieg-not-time-gay-president/

The amusing bit, of course, is that Buttigieg is geniunely a Christian, unlike the current incumbent of the White House, and I suspect a personally moral man. Buttigieg has also served his country in Afghanistan, which he did by choice, not by the draft.

The Democrats win when the have young, articulate (perhaps even inexperienced) candidates: Obama, Clinton, JFK, even Carter in 76.

They win when they have candidates who are blank slates onto which voters can project their own hopes.

Now, he win and he might not. But there's probably quite a strong intersection between those people who wouldn't vote for a black candidate and those who wouldn't vote for a gay one.
    Buttigieg's problem will be more the Democratic primary vote and getting left liberal and African American voters to vote for him over Warren and Sanders and Biden respectively, in the general election he would be a good choice I agree but he has to get there first
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Not sure if any of you have heard but it was announced a short time ago on the STV news that Ross Thomson has indicated he will not defend Aberdeen South in view of the smutty allegations against him by the young Glasgow Labour MP Paul Sweeney. Depending on who the new Tory candidate will be, I suspect a better chance of Conservative Hold.

Perhaps the wrong choice of words under the circumstances.
    There is such an easy pun that could be made there.

But I'll leave the mindless homophobic abuse to a Certain Person on the last thread.
  • Options

I especially like "Give me mine armour, I'll fight till from my bones my flesh be hack'd".

Reminds me I need to return to the Complete Works. Only got a couple of comedies left, then it's tragedies, I think.

The tragedies are where it's at, imo. All the best lines.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

@Byronic FPT

Question: Four draws, from a pack of 78 cards, what is the probability that the same card
    * => p = 0.112400757

Draw 3:
    * as draw 2
    * so p = 0.112400757

Draw is right or wrong. Please ask other people to check it. If you want me to do a better calculation, please pay me.

lol. thanks very much!

I have now received the Fool Card, Upright, in four draw of 3 cards in sequence.

In my maths, which I believe is probably wrong, the chances of this happening are 1 in 140,608, or 0.00000711197%

After the firsterefore the final percentage is somewhere not too far above 0.002%, or about one in 48000.
    I don't believe that the "right way" up bit will be truly random, as the tarot reader will presumably follow the same process every time for returning cards to the deck and shuffling them.

Your analysis of the second draw is spot on - I missed that there were more opportunities to get a same card.
    If the cards are simply collected off the table and added to the pack, held the same way around, then cards are never going to get turned round in the first place.

After the first deal, we are only interested in the three cards on the table - how the rest of the pack is held doesn’t matter.

Either they are picked up the same way - in which case they won’t change direction - or their orientation is somehow randomised (by mixing them about) - in which case the one in eight is the best estimate of getting four deals with the same orientation.
    Every shuffle was notably thorough. It is part of the Tarot reading process. You meditate on your question as you shuffle.

So you do a normal shuffle, then you divide the pack into maybe six piles, turning each pile around (to shuffle orientation as well as sequence). Then you shuffle again, then split and revolve, then shuffle again, then a final split. Etc.

It takes about ten minutes.

Of course the cards could be sticky or something, but that's still a lot of shuffling and spinning. It's surely quite close to proper randomising.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Aha!

Thanks for all the intriguing answers. I am glad the maths is fiendish, as that excuses my inability to work it out. Though I gave it a go.

FWIW - and this is the woowoo, nonsensical subjective bit, so feel free to ignore, the repeated card was a major Arcana card with remarkable relevance to my dilemma.

Just getting it once, and upright (also significant), was enough to make me and my partner go Ooooh, that's the important card.

We then did another spread, and drew the card, and there it was again. Wow. Quite weird.

After the third draw, finding our card AGAIN in the spread, we looked at each other in bewilderment, and not a little agitation.

We then laid the spread again, and there it was again. I nearly hurled the haunted pack out of the window, and into the rain.

I think psychics and tarot cards should be avoided, because even if you believe they read something from you, what they read is surely that you have enough anxiety about your future to consult tarot cards and psychics for reassurance. So the outcome you get from them will never be good.
    There's a great novel about psychics that's well worth a read: Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks
  • Options
    Polls still to catch up with just how much the folk of the NE loathe the EssEnPee.

https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1191025515504832517?s=20
  • Options

I have to warn you, Morris, that the tragedies don't work out that well.
  • Options
    Mr. Noo, I like Merchant of Venice for that too. Also Taming of the Shrew (come hither, crack-hemp/away, you three-inch fool), which has otherwise aged rather poorly.

But I am especially looking forward to Hamlet. Years ago I was a regular player on the now sadly defunct Fatal Dimensions MUD, and someone had created an area there called All The World's A Stage, with a nice little Hamlet section. It'd be good to finally read it.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

I live here and i can tell, however much malcolmg likes to pretend otherwise, the SNP are nowadays hated by many people in the NE and are going to get panned in Dec. Their incompetence in government, their corruption, their utter uselessness with regard to the whisky and fishing industries will all play against them.

Useless, lazy english journalists never come up here and ask people what WE actually think.

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

Well that would exclude Ian Blackford then.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

Thanks for all the intriguing answers. I am glad the maths is fiendish, as that excuses my inability to work it out. Though I gave it a go.

FWIW - and this is the woowoo, nonsensical subjective bit, so feel free to ignore, the repeated card was a major Arcana card with remarkable relevance to my dilemma.

Just getting it once, and upright (also significant), was enough to make me and my partner go Ooooh, that's the important card.

We then did another spread, and drew the card, and there it was again. Wow. Quite weird.

After the third draw, finding our card AGAIN in the spread, we looked at each other in bewilderment, and not a little agitation.

We then laid the spread again, and there it was again. I nearly hurled the haunted pack out of the window, and into the rain.

I think psychics and tarot cards should be avoided, because even if you believe they read something from you, what they read is surely that you have enough anxiety about your future to consult tarot cards and psychics for reassurance. So the outcome you get from them will never be good.
    There's a great novel about psychics that's well worth a read: Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks
    The late Princess of Wales was obsessed with consulting psychics.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

(Completely separately, I would rather see Trump re-elected. Because it should be him who has to deal with the economic consequences of tariffs and reigniting the US debt and consumption bubble.)

As a matter of interest, do you apply the same logic to Boris and the consequences of Brexit?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Why the hell are people referring to Carter as 'young?' He was well over fifty! Admittedly that's younger than any Republican president since the war, but it's still five years older than Obama and not ridiculously far off Lyndon B. Johnson.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,974
    edited November 2019

Alistair said:

Noo said:

The idea that Nats are over represented in media coverage of Scotland is hilarious.
    The London media mistake the SNP for "Scotland"and hang on their every word.

The local media know better.

And yet if the people I am working with in Aberdeen are anything to go by there has been a massive increase in support for the SNP. Whatever idiocy they might have been doing is more than offset by the whole Remain movement which has clearly also fed into the Independence movement. As a strong Leave supporter I wish it were not so but the SNP do have a ready pool of new support because of Brexit.
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, reading history often feels like that.

Even the competent kings tend to have tragic ends, either withering to frailty or dying suddenly.
  • Options

Who among political observers needs fictitious tragedies at this moment?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

I hope Con MPs don't vote for Laing such that Hoyle gets eliminated in 3rd place and then Harman beats Laing with Lab vote solid for Harman in run-off vs Laing.

Hoyle is by miles the best option and Con MPs should vote for Hoyle.

Laing would beat Harman in a run-off, Con and DUP MPs would vote for Laing over Harman (though running the Epping campaign with Eleanor as Speaker and Labour and the LDs by convention thus standing down their candidates in Epping Forest leaving a straight fight with the Brexit Party candidate would make things complicated over the next few weeks)
    The question is how many mps are going to be there. Most are on the campaign trail
    Surely Tory MP's will be on a 3 line whip to make sure its Hoyle. If not they are bonkers.
    I think he'll be supported by quite a few in Labour too.
    It will be a shame if he doesn’t get it. Strikes me as a decent man not accustomed to the grandstanding of the previous occupant of the chair.

Harriet would I think continue where Bercow left off so I really hope it’s not her.

Don’t really have an opinion on Laing.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

@Byronic FPT

Question: Four draws, from a pack of 78 cards, what is the probability that the same card
    * => p = 0.112400757

Draw 3:
    * as draw 2
    * so p = 0.112400757

Draw is right or wrong. Please ask other people to check it. If you want me to do a better calculation, please pay me.

lol. thanks very much!

I have now received the Fool Card, Upright, in four draw of 3 cards in sequence.

In my maths, which I believe is probably wrong, the chances of this happening are 1 in 140,608, or 0.00000711197%

After the firsterefore the final percentage is somewhere not too far above 0.002%, or about one in 48000.
    I don't believe that the "right way" up bit will be truly random, as the tarot reader will presumably follow the same process every time for returning cards to the deck and shuffling them.

Your analysis of the second draw is spot on - I missed that there were more opportunities to get a same card.
    If the cards are simply collected off the table and added to the pack, held the same way around, then cards are never going to get turned round in the first place.

After the first deal, we are only interested in the three cards on the table - how the rest of the pack is held doesn’t matter.

Either they are picked up the same way - in which case they won’t change direction - or their orientation is somehow randomised (by mixing them about) - in which case the one in eight is the best estimate of getting four deals with the same orientation.
    Every shuffle was notably thorough. It is part of the Tarot reading process. You meditate on your question as you shuffle.

So you do a normal shuffle, then you divide the pack into maybe six piles, turning each pile around (to shuffle orientation as well as sequence). Then you shuffle again, then split and revolve, then shuffle again, then a final split. Etc.

Of course the cards could be sticky or something, but that's still a lot of shuffling and spinning. It's surely quite close to proper randomising.
    You should accept that it is your destiny. Probability = 1.
  • Options

Mr. Noo, I like Merchant of Venice for that too. Also Taming of the Shrew (come hither, crack-hemp/away, you three-inch fool), which has otherwise aged rather poorly.

But I am especially looking forward to Hamlet. Years ago I was a regular player on the now sadly defunct Fatal Dimensions MUD, and someone had created an area there called All The World's A Stage, with a nice little Hamlet section. It'd be good to finally read it.

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

I quite agree. As I've said before, the man is an oaf. Much like you.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Noo said:

The idea that Nats are over represented in media coverage of Scotland is hilarious.

And yet if the people I am working with in Aberdeen are anything to go by there has been a massive increase in support for the SNP. Whatever idiocy they might have been doing is more than offset by the whole Remain movement which has clearly also fed into the Independence movement. As a strong Leave supporter I wish it were not so but the SNP do have a ready pool of new support because of Brexit.
    I think they've become more emboldened and vocal (if that were possible). I'm not sure how many new converts they have actually made - not that I'm denying the possibility.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

wasn't Charles supposed to have tried to contact his grandmother>?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Noo said:

That's why famously Scottish QT audiences are stuffed full of ordinary members of the public who just happen to be SNP MSPs and Councillors while Ruth Davidson never got any air time without being robustly challenged.

Oh... Wait...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

Well, I think we can be fairly sure he never tried to contact Diana.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

By ringing Clarence House?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

It does rather feel like we are in two separate parts of two tragic arcs with Trump and Boris. Trump atop the castle watching suspiciously as Birnam Wood appears to be advancing towards Dunsinane. Meanwhile, Boris is in the Hamlet-feigning-madness stage.
    That's probably better news for the Dems than the opposition in the UK, since Macbeth gets his comeuppance relatively cleanly, whereas in Hamlet basically everyone ends up dead. Or perhaps Jo Swinson is Fortinbras?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Alistair said:

Noo said:

I think they've become more emboldened and vocal (if that were possible). I'm not sure how many new converts they have actually made - not that I'm denying the possibility.
    It will be depressing if we lose Scotland post-Brexit and Rejoin is dead on arrival. Especially when we could have had a softer Brexit if Remainers had just pushed for that instead of an referendum rerun.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

A lot of black Americans wouldn't vote for a gay man, but ofcourse would vote for a black one.

What is more Dems need 90%+ of the black vote to win the WH, so far Boot edge edge is winning 2% in some polls and * in others.
  • Options
    Noo said:

ydoethur said:

It does rather feel like we are in two separate parts of two tragic arcz with Trump and Boris. Trump atop the castle watching suspiciously as Birnam Wood appears to be advancing towards Dunsinane. Meanwhile, Boris is in the Hamlet-feigning-madness stage.
    That's probably better news for the Dems than the opposition in the UK, since Macbeth gets him comeuppance relatively cleanly, in Hamlet basically everyone ends up dead. Or perhaps Jo Swinson is Fortinbras?
    The kingmaker and sole surviving major character was Horatio. If we're looking for people with brief walk-on parts and distant connections to events who went mental before coming back heroes then the correct parallel is Nigel Dodds.

I really hope that isn't a parallel that comes to pass...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924
    Byronic said:

Aha!

We then laid the spread again, and there it was again. I nearly hurled the haunted pack out of the window.

Get somebody not known to you or your partner(?!) to do the deal. I can't rule out the possibility that the common factor (you) may be introducing a non-random element.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Having just come back from sun down drinks I couldn’t stop laughing at the two most arch Brexiteers out here in Spain starting to panic about their future when we leave, they couldn’t even understand that it was their fault. I a diehard remainer had to pacify them by saying they will be long gone by the time we leave transition.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

The only name-calling (and often foul-mouthed) oaf on here is you, my friend.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

A lot of black Americans wouldn't vote for a gay man, but ofcourse would vote for a black one.
    The Dems should have a Warren-Buttigieg ticket. Get Buttigieg nationally known as VP, and have him setup for whichever post-Trump headbanger the Republicans put forward in 2028. Generational change will have helped the homophobia issue by that point.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

And in any case, hes more an idiot than an oaf. Like a majority of SNP Moray councillors....
  • Options

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

[shrugs]
  • Options
    Incidentally, a minor Morley & Outwood (assuming the name hasn't been changed again) update: saw a quartet of Conservative leaflet deliverers and perhaps canvassers when out with the dog.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

[shrugs]
    On that we can agree.
  • Options

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

Neither of you are coming across well out of this exchange.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Byronic said:

Aha!

We then laid the spread again, and there it was again. I nearly hurled the haunted pack out of the window.

What on earth are you on about?

PB has been the unfortunate host of many mad posts, but an attempt to reinvigorate Tarot readings into the mainstream is quite special.

Are you planning an Astrology seminar soon? I hope I'll get front seats at the bone-shaking too when that's announced.

• Options

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

And in any case, hes more an idiot than an oaf. Like a majority of SNP Moray councillors....
    Why do you think I give the slightest fuck about Moray councillors, of any stripe? You dreadful little bore.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

Neither of you are coming across well out of this exchange.
    [shrugs]
  • Options

Incidentally, a minor Morley & Outwood (assuming the name hasn't been changed again) update: saw a quartet of Conservative leaflet deliverers and perhaps canvassers when out with the dog.

I allow myself to daydream a little of an election that sees Corbyn lose but Jenkyns lose her seat. Probably unlikely that both will come true, sadly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,360
    Barnesian said:

Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

@Byronic FPT

* => p = 0.112400757

Draw 3:
    * as draw 2
    * so p = 0.112400757

lol. thanks very much!

I don't belied.

You should accept that it is your destiny. Probability = 1.
    And of course we are looking here at probability after the event. There were millions of ways all those cards could have come out, and whichever one played out had the same infinitesimal chance, in advance. Certain outcomes only seem surprisingly unlikely because humans are good at spotting patterns.

It is rather like when people speculate on the supposedly tiny chance of intelligent life having evolved to our current point without any direction. It doesn’t matter how small the chance, because in all the other scenarios there is no-one to ask the question. Once it has happened, the probability equals 100%.

And thats before you start thinking about all the possible locations and points in time.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

PB has been the unfortunate host of many mad posts, but an attempt to reinvigorate Tarot readings into the mainstream is quite special.

Are you planning an Astrology seminar soon? I hope I'll get front seats at the bone-shaking too when that's announced.

You missed the Showaddywaddy thread then?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975
    Looks like poor refereeing to me at Everton. Referees shouldn't change card because of an outcome
  • Options

Omnium said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

You missed the Showaddywaddy thread then?
    I religiously attend all of their threads.
  • Options
    Mr. Twelve, unlikely but not impossible.

I forget what the majority is now, in 2015 it was about a thousand.

The thing is, this is quite an EU-sceptic sort of seat. In 2015 I think UKIP got several thousand votes. I think that makes it unlikely that Jenkyns will lose her seat.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

The Dems should have a Warren-Buttigieg ticket. Get Buttigieg nationally known as VP, and have him setup for whichever post-Trump headbanger the Republicans put forward in 2028. Generational change will have helped the homophobia issue by that point.
    He's utterly unfit to be president, and fortunately has no chance of ever being elected.
  • Options
    Unsure if I put it on PB or my blog, but both today's football tips came off (yesterday was mixed and red overall). Everton drew and Leicester won.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

He's utterly unfit to be president, and fortunately has no chance of ever being elected.
    Gabbard.

(Having just now suggested that Byronic was a bit mad I can see that this suggestion may not go so well for me)

• Options

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Make a comment fine but follow it up with a justification please otherwise it’s meaningless.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,360
    Omnium said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

He should have asked whether he will soon be paying £1000 to Mr Glenn.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Who ?
  • Options

I allow myself to daydream a little of an election that sees Corbyn lose but Jenkyns lose her seat. Probably unlikely that both will come true, sadly.
    Why do you dislike Ms Jenkins so much?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Noo said:

The SNP are still poling below pre Brexit 2015 levels
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Take more than a few sheep lovers to get them out
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Plus if Bobby Kennedy's grandson, Joe P Kennedy III, wins the Massachussets Senate race next year as polls indicate he will be in a good place for 2024 himself

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-kennedy-dynasty-ed-markey-senate-race-2020-1460221

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/niallodowd/poll-kennedy-markey-senate-race-shocker
  • Options
    Race starts in about quarter of an hour. Post-race tosh probably up tomorrow. Anyway, let's hope Verstappen wins.
  • Options

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

You ok, hun?
    Has something happened today in the NE to get you all steamed up?
    LOL, his hero has thrown in the towel.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

He is highly talented and has proved himself successful across academics, the private sector and as a public sector executive. Much better than the emotionally stunted current occupant, who wasn't a talented businessman, but played one on TV.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    HYUFD said:

No surprise and given how far the Spanish have gone to block a Catalan independence vote Boris has plenty of leeway to block any indyref2 while he is PM
    Oh yes, you'll be there HY, dragging old ladies out of the polling place before they can cast their ballot. Standing up for democracy, do you call it?
  • Options

Not sure if any of you have heard but it was announced a short time ago on the STV news that Ross Thomson has indicated he will not defend Aberdeen South in view of the smutty allegations against him by the young Glasgow Labour MP Paul Sweeney. Depending on who the new Tory candidate will be, I suspect a better chance of Conservative Hold.

From no hope to Bob Hope. The "smutty allegations" is a cracker though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Why the hell are people referring to Carter as 'young?' He was well over fifty! Admittedly that's younger than any Republican president since the war, but it's still five years older than Obama and not ridiculously far off Lyndon B. Johnson.

Is 52 "well over 50"?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

No surprise and given how far the Spanish have gone to block a Catalan independence vote Boris has plenty of leeway to block any indyref2 while he is PM
    Oh yes, you'll be there HY, dragging old ladies out of the polling place before they can cast their ballot. Standing up for democracy, do you call it?
    I expect most old ladies will still be happy with the Union but yes no authorised second Scottish independence referendum will be allowed by Boris for as long as he is PM as he confirmed today, even if he does not go as far as the Spanish and arrest Nicola Sturgeon
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Is 52 "well over 50"?
    Old as Methuselah
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What rubbish you spout , the two are completely different.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

A belter
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Is 52 "well over 50"?
    Yes!
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

What is more Dems need 90%+ of the black vote to win the WH, so far Boot edge edge is winning 2% in some polls and * in others.
    I think this is the same logic as saying "Evangelicals will never vote for a serial adulterer who's paid for mistresses to have abortions".

Once Buttigieg and Obama are up on stage together, those doubts will fade.

If there's one thing we've learned in the last few years, people vote according to whether they think someone will do something for them.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Buttigieg doesn't bring anything to Warren's ticket. She needs a conservative white heterosexual man from a swing state...

Or Sherrod Brown.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

As long as it upsets the Nats, the reason and explanation are irrelevant. Seeing Ms Sturgeon on TV was a LOL experience, someone incapable of speaking the truth (but common to most other politicians whether elected or not...
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

That is really hard on Ian Blackford.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I expect most old ladies will still be happy with the Union but yes no authorised second Scottish independence referendum will be allowed by Boris for as long as he is PM as he confirmed today, even if he does not go as far as the Spanish and arrest Nicola Sturgeon
    Are the troops massing on the border yet to prevent the vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Noo said:

The SNP are still poling below pre Brexit 2015 levels
    Why don't you just add that to your avatar save you constantly copy and pasting it
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Buttigieg?
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Compared to Trump?
    You must be joking.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Buttigieg doesn't bring anything to Warren's ticket. She needs a conservative white heterosexual man from a swing state...

Or Sherrod Brown.
    I suspect Sherrod Brown is needed more in the Senate than on the ticket. Buttigieg is a young polite church-going Midwesterner from the moderate wing of the party. He is the perfect person to reassure upper middle income suburbanites scared by Warren's radicalism.
  • Options
    Maybe we could restrict ourselves until the 13/12 to information about interesting ground war anecdotes and insightful views on individual constituency outcomes. Personal putrid battles are boring. There are several interesting markets
    Lib dem possible gains
    Scotland
    Lab/con marginals

Any objective views from the front line would be most welcome
  • Options
    Benefits freeze to end in 2020
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    What shape do we think the Tory campaign is going to take? I kept waiting for it to start last time and the only bits of news that broke through were the terrible missteps. When will we be able to form an impression about whether or not things will be different this time?
  • Options

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

Time to go have a lie down in a darkened room, compose yourself.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

Well I didn't see that coming.
    Reagan was too, apparently. https://www.liveabout.com/presidents-and-the-paranormal-reagan-2596719
  • Options
    blueblue said:

What shape do we think the Tory campaign is going to take? I kept waiting for it to start last time and the only bits of news that broke through were the terrible missteps. When will we be able to form an impression about whether or not things will be different this time?

More schools, hospitals and police. I expect there'll be lots of occasions when some left wing activists start heckling Johnson and that along with selacious Arcuri rumours/allegations will be the extent of the negative publicity.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

They aren't and the PP are the Tories sister party after all, just not quite as hardline
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Or Sherrod Brown.
    I suspect Sherrod Brown is needed more in the Senate than on the ticket. Buttigieg is a young polite church-going Midwesterner from the moderate wing of the party. He is the perfect person to reassure upper middle income suburbanites scared by Warren's radicalism.
    The other route she could go is Cory Booker, who would energize the black vote and is also well liked in the suburbs. Another option is Andrew Gillum, who helps with Florida, but isn't as well known as Booker.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

As long as it upsets the Nats, the reason and explanation are irrelevant. Seeing Ms Sturgeon on TV was a LOL experience, someone incapable of speaking the truth (but common to most other politicians whether elected or not...
    Loonies are out in force today. Thomson resignation has unhinged the Tories.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Nat? Errr ok, plank.
    Numpty.

That is really hard on Ian Blackford.
    You're right. I'll roll it back to "I'm not a fan of Blackford but he's not as bad as plank".
  • Options
    Re: the speaker election, YouGov apparently did a poll of 101 MPs recently which showed Hoyle with 50%, followed by Laing on 14% and Bryant on 13%.

In another news, I see Stewart Jackson formerly of this parish has made the final 3 for Conservative candidate for Sevenoaks.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Or Sherrod Brown.
    You make a persuasive case.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

They aren't and the PP are the Tories sister party after all, just not quite as hardline
    Oh Dear stating the Tories are more Fascist than the Fascist PP. You really are a nutter.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

Reagan was too, apparently. https://www.liveabout.com/presidents-and-the-paranormal-reagan-2596719
    Obligatory Ken L. 'You know who else was obsessed with consulting psychics?' line.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Aha!

"This! You couldn't see this!" (Reuben, From Ocean's Twelve)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there?

Or Sherrod Brown.
    My boy Shezzod Browwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Pulpstar said:

blueblue said:

More schools, hospitals and police. I expect there'll be lots of occasions when some left wing activists start heckling Johnson and that along with selacious Arcuri rumours/allegations will be the extent of the negative publicity.
    I only hope that's the worst of it. But they also need to dismantle things like the 2030 carbon-neutral plan in an effective way - there'll probably be half a dozen similar boondoggles that need puncturing. Who are the front men / women / attack dogs other than Boris himself?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Pulpstar said:

blueblue said:

And lots of sweeties, like money for more flowers in parks to help the birds and the bees & assistance for wild otter orphans & money for the hairy-nosed wombat.

Maybe the dog Dilyn (sic) that moved from the Friends of Animals Wales, Rhondda to be adopted by Carrie & Boris in No 10 will be used to highlight a campaign against puppy farms or dangerous inbreedings.

Dilyn seemed a suspicious character at outset. I am sure he has been focus-grouped and will turn up in the campaign, woofing his way into Tory myth-making.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Loonies are out in force today. Thomson resignation has unhinged the Tories.
    Not really. You've been telling us since for ever that he was a loser. Maybe his successor won't be? Yay!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Pulpstar said:

blueblue said:

I only hope that's the worst of it. But they also need to dismantle things like the 2030 carbon-neutral plan in an effective way - there'll probably be half a dozen similar boondoggles that need puncturing. Who are the front men / women / attack dogs other than Boris himself?
    Why would they want to do that?
This discussion has been closed.