Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By two to one the voters think the Brexit referendum should no

Comments

• Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    rcs1000 said:

nunuone said:

If the GOP were smart they would try harder to win more African Americans. Just winning a few more % of socially conservative blacks, would give them a durable majority, and enough state legislative control for a constitutional amendment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidshor/status/1188490860536762369

As a general rule, though, supporting neo-Nazis in Charlotteville is not the kind of thing that goes down well with any African Americans, socially conservative or not.

Trump can't pivot to collect socially conservative African Americans, or socially conservative Latinos, because he has chosen the mantle of identity politics for Whites who feel the system is stacked against them.
    Trump didn't make a choice. He has always been a racist. He once was upset he had a black accountant as he only wanted Jews counting his money. He called for the execution of the Central Park 5 after they had been exonerated. He told a black Congresswoman, who was born in the US to parents born in the US, to "go back" to her home country.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Gabs2 said:

If Remainers had accepted the referendum result with good grace

I find categorising the world into the groups of "Remainers" and "Leavers" to be extremely unhelpful.

But let's step back for a moment.

In the immediate aftermath of the election, there was a genuine acceptance of the result. The polling evidence at the time showed 80+% of people believed the result should be implemented.

What happened? Why did that change?

Well, I think there were three major missteps:

Firstly, was Mrs May's "red lines".
    Secondly, there was the election.
    Thirdly, there was the trashing of Mrs May's deal as "not real Brexit".

The first alienated a chunk of the "well we lost, but we're all in this together" bunch. The second lost the Conservatives their majority, and resulted in a more Remain-y parliament. The third appeared to be more about BJ getting into Number Ten than getting Brexit done.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Lol, at the time the Special Forces were raiding ISIS Trump was on the golf course.

https://twitter.com/ImpatientCatX1/status/1188473956308787200?s=19

They probably didn't tell him because he's a fucking liability.
    The tweet would have been: "So excited. My special forces will be executing ISIS bad guy and Nancy Pelosi's friend Bag Daddy. Wanted to be part of raid myself stopped by killjoy nonothing Generals."
    "I am the greatest general ever. I'm a seven star general."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

I find categorising the world into the groups of "Remainers" and "Leavers" to be extremely unhelpful.

In the immediate aftermath of the election, there was a genuine acceptance of the result. The polling evidence at the time showed 80+% of people believed the result should be implemented.

The first alienated a chunk of the "well we lost, but we're all in this together" bunch. The second lost the Conservatives their majority, and resulted in a more Remain-y parliament. The third appeared to be more about BJ getting into Number Ten than getting Brexit done.
    Oh come on. Remainers did not want to accept the result from the get-go. We could have easily countered May's red lines with a clearly backed proposal for soft Brexit. But Remain MPs from the start wanted to overturn it so us pushing for a soft Brexit found we didn't have the numbers. We instead got deliberate sabotage and delaying tactics until there was the opportunity to block it entirely.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    I think the Tories should take the SNP/LD motion and run with it.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

So - as we're just four days away from No Deal - any advice on stockpiling?

I am concentrating on life or death matters such as clean water. 6 weeks supply is prudent IMO.
    Where are you storing it, out of interest? And how much are you reckoning on?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

nunuone said:

If the GOP were smart they would try harder to win more African Americans. Just winning a few more % of socially conservative blacks, would give them a durable majority, and enough state legislative control for a constitutional amendment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidshor/status/1188490860536762369

As a general rule, though, supporting neo-Nazis in Charlotteville is not the kind of thing that goes down well with any African Americans, socially conservative or not.

Trump can't pivot to collect socially conservative African Americans, or socially conservative Latinos, because he has chosen the mantle of identity politics for Whites who feel the system is stacked against them.
    Which is in keeping with mainline Republican policy for the last 40 years.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

I would disagree with the underlying premise of what you have written there. There was no genuine acceptance of the result even by 80%. The politicians had to pretend they accepted it or rightly be accused of being undemocratic. But there were only a very small minority of Remainers who accepted the result and most were quick to attack it as based on lies and claim that people had been misled. The campaign to ignore the result started almost immediately and even those who would not explicitly say they wanted the result overturned made it clear they were not reconciled with leaving.

There are indeed many ways in which the Government (not the Leave campaign as they were not in power) screwed up after the result but the idea that there would not be myriad attempts to block or overturn Brexit is fanciful.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926

I think this poll is dangerous for Boris Johnson ...

Yawn.

Would you like to list those five things that are NOT dangerous for Boris Johnson in your world?
    Finding a ditch and doing what he said he would.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Way back in the 80's there were rumours that there would be a sugar shortage. My grandmother proceeded to stockpile 30 bags of sugar and, to be fair, so did all her neighbours. Guess what? There was a sugar shortage!
    But not in your grandmother's house, by the sound of it.

You don't have to run faster than the lion, only faster than at least one of the other people who are running away from it.
    Most people had enough sugar (because they'd hoarded it) or knew someone who had. And - to answer Floater's point - they were all proud that they had listened to the rumours and not been caught out!
    So essentially you're asking us to be altruistic, and drink our sugarless tea with an upper lip fortified by the knowledge that if we'd bought an extra couple of bags someone else instead of us would be going without?
    I'm not asking you to do anything.
    Ah, sorry - when I asked for advice on stockpiling and you replied with "Don't?" I thought you were telling me not to stockpile.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    If Boris Johnson's Deal passes it will likely be due to a Tory majority after the next general election and Boris would then likely extend the transition period to December 2022 if negotiations needed to continue on a FTA
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Way back in the 80's there were rumours that there would be a sugar shortage. My grandmother proceeded to stockpile 30 bags of sugar and, to be fair, so did all her neighbours. Guess what? There was a sugar shortage!

You don't have to run faster than the lion, only faster than at least one of the other people who are running away from it.
    Most people had enough sugar (because they'd hoarded it) or knew someone who had. And - to answer Floater's point - they were all proud that they had listened to the rumours and not been caught out!
    So essentially you're asking us to be altruistic, and drink our sugarless tea with an upper lip fortified by the knowledge that if we'd bought an extra couple of bags someone else instead of us would be going without?
    I'm not asking you to do anything. I'm just pointing out that stockpiling is the quickest way to have a shortage of something.
    Done right, it's the quickest way for other people to have a shortage of something.

Prisoner's Dilemma.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, why wouldn't they?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

I'm not asking you to do anything. I'm just pointing out that stockpiling is the quickest way to have a shortage of something.
    Done right, it's the quickest way for other people to have a shortage of something.

Prisoner's Dilemma.
    ?

Surely, done right - that is sufficiently far in advance - it reduces demand if there is a shortage and alleviates the effects on everyone else.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Ah, sorry - when I asked for advice on stockpiling and you replied with "Don't?" I thought you were telling me not to stockpile.
    Now there’s a confusing series of double negatives.

I think actually the advice was ‘do nothing,’ i.e. refrain from stockpiling.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,251
    HYUFD said:

If Boris Johnson's Deal passes it will likely be due to a Tory majority after the next general election and Boris would then likely extend the transition period to December 2022 if negotiations needed to continue on a FTA

The best plan would be to extend the transition to 2090. Let three generations hence sort out the pointless exit.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, why wouldn't they?
    From the discussion this morning, it's because they want an election, but if there is an election they want to be able to say that no one else wanted one. I gather Dominic Cummings has "wargamed" the paradox, but I'm not privy to his conclusions.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The best plan would be to extend the transition to 2090. Let three generations hence sort out the pointless exit.
    Or the other 27 could leave the EU and form their own block, meaning we haven’t left the EU but we’re still in a different organisation.

You may laugh, but...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,788
    Off topic: I am aware that certain PBers have a thing about pizza toppings.

Well, on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares just now on 4seven Gordon was served up a portion of sushi pizza. He spat it out!
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Yes, the advice was what I quoted - "Don't?" (which means "Do not").
  • Options
    Chris said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, why wouldn't they?
    From the discussion this morning, it's because they want an election, but if there is an election they want to be able to say that no one else wanted one. I gather Dominic Cummings has "wargamed" the paradox, but I'm not privy to his conclusions.
    More likely they are chanting "not the briar patch".
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Prisoner's Dilemma.
    ?

Surely, done right - that is sufficiently far in advance - it reduces demand if there is a shortage and alleviates the effects on everyone else.
    Yes - absolutely right, on reflection.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,788
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    When the Leave campaign voted against May's Brexit deal twice, any moral authority to complain about irreconcilable Remainers should really go out the window. Once the people manufacturing the turd were telling somebody else to go sell it, they evacuated the democratic high ground labeled Get Brexit Done (TM). Well TM didn't, so BJ has found it harder.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Probably my fault; the question mark was designed to suggest that this was a suggestion rather than an imperative. I try not to tell other people what to do; I leave that to the politicians!
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Off topic: I am aware that certain PBers have a thing about pizza toppings.

Well, on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares just now on 4seven Gordon was served up a portion of sushi pizza. He spat it out!

Rightly so....
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, why wouldn't they?
    They will.....
    I'd put money on it but hate betting.....
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Probably my fault; the question mark was designed to suggest that this was a suggestion rather than an imperative. I try not to tell other people what to do; I leave that to the politicians!
    Ah, ok - if it was a question, my answer is "Do?" (but probably not this time)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The Liberal Democrats and SNP have a plan for a 9 December election. Will it work?
    The few days difference between 9 December and 12 December could be vital for Remain campaigners.

Stephen Bush"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/10/liberal-democrats-and-snp-have-plan-9-december-election-will-it-work
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"The Liberal Democrats and SNP have a plan for a 9 December election. Will it work?
    The few days difference between 9 December and 12 December could be vital for Remain campaigners.

Stephen Bush"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/10/liberal-democrats-and-snp-have-plan-9-december-election-will-it-work

"And for Remainers, it represents their last realistic hope of stopping Brexit in its tracks."
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm even more in favour of the LD/NP plan than the Tories tbh.

Johnson's deal needs a mandate. The situation (Even though its a bit of everyone's fault) of having to vote for it at gunpoint isn't great. If Macron forces the situation, LD/SNP won't go for the motion anyway so as to avoid a No Deal.

The first referendum has been thoroughly trashed, so I'd see a second as very much second place to a prior General Election.

My guess is this GE timetable is Nicola's idea actually (Who is no remain patsy as so many in parliament seem to be) . And it further makes Labour's objections to Johnson's proposed election look even more preposterous.

It's very good politics, I think in reality the concession needed from Johnson is small - he can run on "Get Brexit done & sunlit Tory uplands" in the GE campaign - SNP get more MPs and so do the Lib Dems in all likelihood.
  • Options
    Of course all depends on Macron.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    edited October 2019
    I had a quartet (plus accumulator) of tiny tips for football (in my pre-race blog). Pleased that three of the match bets came off (Arsenal/Crystal Palace draw, plus wins for Liverpool and Manchester United). Wolves only drew with, rather than beat, Newcastle.

But given I have the footballing knowledge of a potato, that's not bad.

Edited extra bit: added blog note.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

God with us, by Jove.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It is good to know we have taken back control of our destiny by voting Leave and that we have in no way become dependent on the whims of a shallow, petulant populist who is currently serving as President of France.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    edited October 2019
    Mr. Doethur, pro-EU MPs voted to make it so...

Edited extra bit: anyway, I'm off. Forty minutes or so until the sport starts.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Labour had 13 years to introduce proportional representation. For some bizarre reason they didn't do so. (There was no need for a referendum IMO).

I think any major constitutional change should have a referendum.
    I don’t think so. This country has proven its not politically mature enough to deal with referendums.
    Because it gave the wrong answer?
    The referendum itself was not the problem. The aftermath however...
    The aftermath has been the MPs doing their best to defy the leave vote without looking like they are. Boris just got a deal after they said he wouldn't, he tried to pass it and now they won't.

Pity the voters who have given the instruction, not the establishment who won't listen to it.
    Yeah you’re just proving my point.
  • Options
    In hindsight, I increasingly think I was wrong to have backed LEAVE.

Back from Barcelona last night. Wonderful city, lots of grand buildings and WIDE boulevards. The Sagrada Familia cathedral the iconic centrepiece. Also visited a number of other buildings designed by Antoni Gaudi: Casa Batllo, Casa Vicens, Casa Mila, Park Guell, Palau Guell and the Domench Montenar-designed Sant Pau hospital and Palau de la Musica. Other highlights we visited included the Tibidabo Church on a hilltop overlooking the city, the more traditional Gothic Cathedral, the Olympic Stadium, FC Barcelona's Nude Camp stadium, Montjuic Castle, Museum of Catalan Art, Catalonia Plaza, and Torre Agbar (Barcelona's answer to The Gherkin).

Ubergeekery-wise, I didn't do as much of the Barcelona Metro as I would have liked, as I was with my mum (holiday was her birthday present!), but I did do line L9 from the Airport to Collblanc, L5 from Collblanc to Sant Pau, L3 from Diagonal to Parallel, L7 from Catalonia Plaza to Avenue of Tididabo, and the funicular from Parallel up to Montjuic (near the Olympics). Unfortunately, the funicular up to the Tibidabo Church, the one I really wanted to do, was closed for track and train renewal, so we had to make do with a replacement bus! Views from up there was worth it, though!

Demonstration-wise, didn't see much in the way of Catalan marchers, though we did see some rather good-natured Chilean demonstrators on Thursday afternoon, protesting against their government, who went on a march from Catalonia Plaza later that evening. On Friday night, we were coming back from the beach area but our bus was diverted away from the Plaza, presumably because of Catalan protests in that vicinity, and we had to have dinner at an alternative place. But apart from that the visit was trouble-free, and the city of Barcelona is highly recommended!
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, pro-EU MPs voted to make it so...

Edited extra bit: anyway, I'm off. Forty minutes or so until the sport starts.

Partly, but it is also the responsibility of the Leavers who persistently voted down May’s deal.
  • Options

Are we having another epiphany here, one almost as amazing as your repudiation of The Last Jedi?
  • Options
    Recap of today's Labour selections

Liverpool Wavertree: Paula Baker. Backed by Momentum

Blyth Valley: Susan Dungworth. Local Cllr. Backed by retiring MP

Bassetlaw: Sally Gimson. Camdem Councillor. All locals didn't made the shortlist. NEC wanted Keir Morrison (who is from Ashfield).

Vauxhall: Florance Eshalomi. Currently Assembly Member for Southwark & Lambeth. Not from the left of the party.

Nottingham East: Nadia Whittome. Young left wing anti Brexit campaigner.

Poplar and Limehouse: well, they are running late. It's Tower Hamlets afterall!

In the last few days

Ealing North: James Murray. Currently London Deputy Mayor for Housing

City of Durham: Marie Foy. Gateshead BC Cabinet Member

Enfield North: Feryal Clark. Hackney Cllr. All local leftists were excluded from the shortlist by the NEC panel. There were some protests about it.

Rother Valley: Sophie Wilson. Left wing Sheffield Cllr

Penistone and Stockbridge: Francyne Johnson. Local Cllr

Bury South: Lucy Burke. The CLP Secretary.

Cynon Valley: Bethan Winter. The CLP Vice Chair.

Hull North: Diana Johnson. The triggered sitting MP won the open selection against a local councillor very easily.
  • Options
    Is the election motion being voted on tomorrow? If so, what time?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Sunil no longer Be Leaves.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Sunil no longer Be Leaves.

He admitted he was on the wrong line.

He missed the points.

He passed the signals at dan[that’s enough - Ed.]
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    kinabalu said:
    Tell him he can go if he dishes the dirt on Joe Biden
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Looks like the EU might try and force Corbyns hand .

EU ambassadors meeting tomorrow morning . This could really embarrass him if they agree the 3 month extension .
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    Brexit: EU prepares to grant UK three-month extension.

Exclusive: UK will have option to leave earlier if deal is ratified, leaked draft shows

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/27/brexit-eu-prepares-grant-uk-three-month-extension

The French surrender.
  • Options
    Thüringen projections at 19:24

Linke 28 seats
    AfD 22 seats
    CDU 21 seats
    SDP 7 seats
    Greens 5 seats
    FDP 5 seats
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Looks like Bozo had a word with Macron .

This looks timed to humiliate Corbyn and his tragic attempts to avoid an election.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027

Exclusive: UK will have option to leave earlier if deal is ratified, leaked draft shows

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/27/brexit-eu-prepares-grant-uk-three-month-extension

The French surrender.

Tactical retreat. They'll veto it next time ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596

Bassetlaw: Sally Gimson. Camdem Councillor. All locals didn't made the shortlist. NEC wanted Keir Morrison (who is from Ashfield).

Vauxhall: Florance Eshalomi. Currently Assembly Member for Southwark & Lambeth. Not from the left of the party.

In the last few days

Enfield North: Feryal Clark. Hackney Cllr. All local leftists were excluded from the shortlist by the NEC panel. There were some protests about it.

Hull North: Diana Johnson. The triggered sitting MP won the open selection against a local councillor very easily.

Thanks. V useful.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    It's all lining up nicely for a December 5th/9th/12th general election - Do Or Die!!!! :D
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

If we do get another hung parliament, with a majority of MPs elected on manifesto commitments to either a second referendum or cancelling Brexit outright, I wonder if the PBTories will stick to their recent insistence that that election should decide Brexit once and for all.

It's a big reason Boris should have gone the harder route of trying the WAIB when he could have. A lot of remainers thought it would get through. Instead he got frit, saw it would be tough, and like May gave in to temptation to get a big majority to do it properly, and while he might succeed where she failed, he's opened the door to remain after it was almost shut in their faces.

Also, if the Tories thought it was hard getting Labour MPs to vote for Brexit deals in this parliament, it will be MUCH harder after the next one. Of all the Lab MPs who were considering voting for a deal, either they will be voted out at the election; or they will have just been re-elected on explicit commitments to a new referendum, therefore will feel they have much more of a 'mandate' to point-blank refuse any Tory Brexit deal.

If there's not a Tory majority in the election, for the first time I'll think Brexit is over.
    You're 100% correct.

If there's not a Tory majority its quite probable that it is over. So why are Remainers not up for an election?
    The two most Remainy parties literally announced a plan today for an election even earlier than Johnson’s preferred date.

If that’s not “up for an election”...
  • Options
    Ordinary scene earlier this evening at Poplar and Limehouse Labour selection meeting

At one point the police was called.

https://twitter.com/AdamAllnutt/status/1188494894966431744?s=20
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Turned out differently:
    Left (ex=Communist) 30.6
    AfD (far right) 23.6
    CDU (Tories) 22.1
    SPD (social democrats) 8.3
    Greens 5.0 (may get over the threshold for seats, may not)
    FDP (liberals) 5.0 (ditto)

The Left led the outgoing government and were generally seen as competent and moderate, but their coalition partners suffered badly. The Left leader Kamelow is very popular - 70% approval, including 60% of CDU voters - and the ex-Communists are seen by most voters as "centrists". It's another world...
  • Options

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

If we do get another hung parliament, with a majority of MPs elected on manifesto commitments to either a second referendum or cancelling Brexit outright, I wonder if the PBTories will stick to their recent insistence that that election should decide Brexit once and for all.

It's a big reason Boris should have gone the harder route of trying the WAIB when he could have. A lot of remainers thought it would get through. Instead he got frit, saw it would be tough, and like May gave in to temptation to get a big majority to do it properly, and while he might succeed where she failed, he's opened the door to remain after it was almost shut in their faces.

Also, if the Tories thought it was hard getting Labour MPs to vote for Brexit deals in this parliament, it will be MUCH harder after the next one. Of all the Lab MPs who were considering voting for a deal, either they will be voted out at the election; or they will have just been re-elected on explicit commitments to a new referendum, therefore will feel they have much more of a 'mandate' to point-blank refuse any Tory Brexit deal.

If there's not a Tory majority in the election, for the first time I'll think Brexit is over.
    You're 100% correct.

If there's not a Tory majority its quite probable that it is over. So why are Remainers not up for an election?
    The two most Remainy parties literally announced a plan today for an election even earlier than Johnson’s preferred date.

How about voting for the election on a straight vote and not gameplaying?
  • Options
    At one point the Poplar & Limehouse CLP officials couldn't find the membership list anymore to check people at the entrance.

Anyway, it seems they have started voting now.

Thankfully they have a shortlist of 2. Otherwise they would have finished next week-end to count AV
  • Options

The French surrender.

Eating cheese as they withdraw.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The Lib Dems & SNP have cleverly gamed their refusal to vote with the Tories tommorow, as their alternative election plan makes complete sense.

Labour OTOH ........................................................................
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Update on Thueringen:

Both Green and LibDems made it in. The CDU are contemplating "tolerating" the Left government, to avoid cooperation with the AfD. The Green leader says ruefully that the bad result is partly because the state has no major towns (and the Green vote is heavily urban, ironically) and partly that the Greens stand for change and the state has frankly had enough change for 3 lifetimes after reunification and wants a bit of peace and quiet.

The general rule that being a minor coalition partner is death is proven true once again.

• Options
    edited October 2019

In the last few days

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1188514921937547264

Baby of House alert!! :smiley:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1188519640978329601
  • Options
    Chris said:

The French surrender.

Eating cheese as they withdraw.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown
  • Options

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

It is a straight vote.
  • Options
    As Mr. Buttigieg increasingly presents himself to Democrats as a younger, moderate alternative to former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., he is struggling badly to compete against one of Mr. Biden’s strengths: deep connections to black voters. Nowhere is that problem greater than in South Carolina, which votes fourth in the Democratic nomination

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/politics/pete-buttigieg-south-carolina.html
  • Options
    If anyone still doesn't believe there's going to be a 3-month extension, they can get 1.07 for No to "No Deal in 2019" on Betfair Exchange.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

It is a straight vote.
    The FTPA 2/3 vote is a straight vote.

A one line bill is an amendable vote. If they back a straight vote and it fails due to Labour cowardice then a bill might be a next best shot, but a straight vote first should be tried.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Labour had 13 years to introduce proportional representation. For some bizarre reason they didn't do so. (There was no need for a referendum IMO).

I don’t think so. This country has proven its not politically mature enough to deal with referendums.
    The aftermath has been the MPs doing their best to defy the leave vote without looking like they are. Boris just got a deal after they said he wouldn't, he tried to pass it and now they won't.

Pity the voters who have given the instruction, not the establishment who won't listen to it.
    Its OK Max Gallowgate if voting for Tory Swinson in order to ensure a hard Johnson BREXIT wins
  • Options
    Chris said:

If anyone still doesn't believe there's going to be a 3-month extension, they can get 1.07 for No to "No Deal in 2019" on Betfair Exchange.

I believe @williamglenn has a big bet on better odds.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited October 2019
    RobD said:

The French surrender.

Tactical retreat. They'll veto it next time ;)
    As expected and they need to publish it tomorrow before the vote

Lets get on with this and the 9th Dec is fine

For me it is time to get a new mandate and whatever that is I will be content other than Corbyn being anywhere near power
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Its OK Max Gallowgate if voting for Tory Swinson in order to ensure a hard Johnson BREXIT wins
    If that’s what happens then so be it.
    If you’re worried maybe Labour should stand aside for the Lib Dems?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

It is a straight vote.

A one line bill is an amendable vote. If they back a straight vote and it fails due to Labour cowardice then a bill might be a next best shot, but a straight vote first should be tried.
    Well yes but you’re accusing them of game playing when Boris’s ‘vote for an election or i’ll withdraw the WAIB’ is exactly that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Exactly. Labour have a hard ceiling because of Corbyn's bigotry and extremism. Swinson could go far higher.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sorry - I meant the other way round, of course. If anyone does believe ...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

Back from Barcelona last night. Wonderful city, lots of grand buildings and WIDE boulevards. The Sagrada Familia cathedral the iconic centrepiece. Also visited a number of other buildings designed by Antoni Gaudi: Casa Batllo, Casa Vicens, Casa Mila, Park Guell, Palau Guell and the Domench Montenar-designed Sant Pau hospital and Palau de la Musica. Other highlights we visited included the Tibidabo Church on a hilltop overlooking the city, the more traditional Gothic Cathedral, the Olympic Stadium, FC Barcelona's Nude Camp stadium, Montjuic Castle, Museum of Catalan Art, Catalonia Plaza, and Torre Agbar (Barcelona's answer to The Gherkin).

Ubergeekery-wise, I didn't do as much of the Barcelona Metro as I would have liked, as I was with my mum (holiday was her birthday present!), but I did do line L9 from the Airport to Collblanc, L5 from Collblanc to Sant Pau, L3 from Diagonal to Parallel, L7 from Catalonia Plaza to Avenue of Tididabo, and the funicular from Parallel up to Montjuic (near the Olympics). Unfortunately, the funicular up to the Tibidabo Church, the one I really wanted to do, was closed for track and train renewal, so we had to make do with a replacement bus! Views from up there was worth it, though!

Demonstration-wise, didn't see much in the way of Catalan marchers, though we did see some rather good-natured Chilean demonstrators on Thursday afternoon, protesting against their government, who went on a march from Catalonia Plaza later that evening. On Friday night, we were coming back from the beach area but our bus was diverted away from the Plaza, presumably because of Catalan protests in that vicinity, and we had to have dinner at an alternative place. But apart from that the visit was trouble-free, and the city of Barcelona is highly recommended!

I think everyone is well aware of your change of heart on Brexit. Not really sure how Barcelona being good is an argument either way.
  • Options

Well yes but you’re accusing them of game playing when Boris’s ‘vote for an election or i’ll withdraw the WAIB’ is exactly that.

Lib Dem, SNP and Tories are playing... minor games with the whole election thing.

Labour's moving the goalposts to Mars :D !
  • Options

Turned out differently:
    Left (ex=Communist) 30.6
    AfD (far right) 23.6
    CDU (Tories) 22.1
    SPD (social democrats) 8.3
    Greens 5.0 (may get over the threshold for seats, may not)
    FDP (liberals) 5.0 (ditto)

The Left led the outgoing government and were generally seen as competent and moderate, but their coalition partners suffered badly. The Left leader Kamelow is very popular - 70% approval, including 60% of CDU voters - and the ex-Communists are seen by most voters as "centrists". It's another world...
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1188508856202256384?s=20
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

It is a straight vote.

It’s one of those irregular conjugations. I am making a principled offer, you are game-playing, he is denying democracy etc. etc.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Every LD seat is a vote for

Johnson as PM (Hard BREXIT Trump trade Deal with Chlorinated Chicken and US owned /run NHS)

Why would LAB stand aside for a party that is going to side with the Tories after a GE?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    The only way Brexit happens is with a Tory majority government.

The best way to get a Tory majority government is a Dec election.

The only party resisting a Dec election is Labour.

Ergo Labour are the only Remain party. All others have given up.

QED. Algebra.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    FTP.

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1188392480707956736?s=20

5/ There’s a trial starting in January.....

More relevant why did some if thrm react as if December was unacceptable before thinking about alternatives and making a judgement in the first place?
    They'll be queuing at the border if Scotland get's its independance. What a time it would be to be Scottish. They don't need to worry about the nighmare of a Johnson/Cummings government or the looming disaster of years of Brexiting.
    Scotland, as a new state, would not be part of the EU.
    It wouldn't take long for accession to be realised though. They've already aligned with the acquis communautaire so it should be, to coin a phrase, 'the easiest deal in history'.
    But under the treaty defined rules for new accessions they would have to adopt both Schengen and the Euro. So a hard border with England.

Mist in the Cheviots, England cut off.
    It just gets better......

• Options

HYUFD said:

Even Canada got an EU FTA in 7 years, not three generations and we already have closer ties with the EU than they had before that was agreed
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Johnson as PM (Hard BREXIT Trump trade Deal with Chlorinated Chicken and US owned /run NHS)

Why would LAB stand aside for a party that is going to side with the Tories after a GE?
    Why would I vote for a party lead by Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options

Ordinary scene earlier this evening at Poplar and Limehouse Labour selection meeting

At one point the police was called.

https://twitter.com/AdamAllnutt/status/1188494894966431744?s=20

Is that the Labour party of Bangladesh?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

QED. Algebra.

Algebra indeed but in the real world of politics it doesn't follow science
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Why would anyone vote for a party lead by Corbyn
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Is Labour following its members and finally adopting a clear anti Brexit position? I missed it. Better than the fence sitting and flim flam.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

QED. Algebra.

Unsurprising to anyone that knows them, that the Lib Dems put the prospect of gaining a dozen seats or two above their declared number one priority of stopping Brexit.
  • Options

As Mr. Buttigieg increasingly presents himself to Democrats as a younger, moderate alternative to former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., he is struggling badly to compete against one of Mr. Biden’s strengths: deep connections to black voters. Nowhere is that problem greater than in South Carolina, which votes fourth in the Democratic nomination

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/politics/pete-buttigieg-south-carolina.html

Black voters even those in the Democratic primary are highly socially conservative.

I doubt more than a few will vote for him.
  • Options

I think everyone is well aware of your change of heart on Brexit. Not really sure how Barcelona being good is an argument either way.
    Er, I came back from Barcelona last night after a week of only intermittent presence on PB. Thanks for "welcoming" me back anyway.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

2nd Referendum (Remains best chance)

NHS safe from Trump and returned to not for profit

Council Housing Returns giving the young the best chance of an affordable house

Only Anti Austerity Party.

YOU CAN BE CERTAIN THEY WONT GO INTO COALITION WITH Johnson
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Can we get Gypsy Rose Lee to let us know what Corbyn's got in mind?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Looks like Bozo had a word with Macron .

This looks timed to humiliate Corbyn and his tragic attempts to avoid an election.

The libdems election motion will pass.

Labour can go cry.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Thüringen projections at 19:24

Linke 28 seats
    AfD 22 seats
    CDU 21 seats
    SDP 7 seats
    Greens 5 seats
    FDP 5 seats

Good luck getting a majority out that lot.
This discussion has been closed.