Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By two to one the voters think the Brexit referendum should no

SystemSystem Posts: 11,726
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By two to one the voters think the Brexit referendum should not have been held

Fascinating finding from @OpiniumResearch 'Brexit referendum should never have been called, say majority of voters'https://t.co/Tgrgm69kyA

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    edited October 2019
    1st like Labour at GE2020
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Danny565 said:

If we do get another hung parliament, with a majority of MPs elected on manifesto commitments to either a second referendum or cancelling Brexit outright, I wonder if the PBTories will stick to their recent insistence that that election should decide Brexit once and for all.

It's a big reason Boris should have gone the harder route of trying the WAIB when he could have. A lot of remainers thought it would get through. Instead he got frit, saw it would be tough, and like May gave in to temptation to get a big majority to do it properly, and while he might succeed where she failed, he's opened the door to remain after it was almost shut in their faces.

• Options
    Thinking it should not have been called strikes me as a very pointless question. I know, as per the header, that the point is to emphasise that it happening means years more stages to go through, but that just seems a more subtle false sell of how stopping things will make everything hunky dory again.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,188
    Fire up the Quattro
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    "We should just have had politicians with the balls to leave without a referendum."

How many of them in your %, TSE?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited October 2019
    Years ago on here I forwarded the idea that Islamic State would eventually eat itself as it spiralled into deeply divisive internal rivalries and an influx of increasingly diverse fighting base.

Its probable rather than possible that Baghdadi got grassed up by someone on the inside. The increased factionalism that may result is both good, in that the organisation may lack a central philosophical force for a while and bad because what was a relatively devolved outfit becomes even more so and harder to address because of it.

Edit. One of his senior deputies bought it as well. Two of them in one place is unusual.
  • Options

But how do they come back from being marmalised in 2019?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950

JCICIPM eh Big John? :D
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

If we do get another hung parliament, with a majority of MPs elected on manifesto commitments to either a second referendum or cancelling Brexit outright, I wonder if the PBTories will stick to their recent insistence that that election should decide Brexit once and for all.

It's a big reason Boris should have gone the harder route of trying the WAIB when he could have. A lot of remainers thought it would get through. Instead he got frit, saw it would be tough, and like May gave in to temptation to get a big majority to do it properly, and while he might succeed where she failed, he's opened the door to remain after it was almost shut in their faces.

Also, if the Tories thought it was hard getting Labour MPs to vote for Brexit deals in this parliament, it will be MUCH harder after the next one. Of all the Lab MPs who were considering voting for a deal, either they will be voted out at the election; or they will have just been re-elected on explicit commitments to a new referendum, therefore will feel they have much more of a 'mandate' to point-blank refuse any Tory Brexit deal.

If there's not a Tory majority in the election, for the first time I'll think Brexit is over.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    This is a potential seam to mine against the government.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Y0kel said:

Years ago on here I forwarded the idea that Islamic State would eventually eat itself as it spiralled into deeply divisive internal rivalries and an influx of increasingly diverse fighting base.

Its probable rather than possible that Baghdadi got grassed up by someone on the inside. The increased factionalism that may result is both good, in that the organisation may lack a central philosophical force for a while and bad because what was a relatively devolved outfit becomes even more so and harder to address because of it.

Edit. One of his senior deputies bought it as well. Two of them in one place is unusual.

I would imagine this was the bone that Turkey offered up doe the Syria attack.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Also, if the Tories thought it was hard getting Labour MPs to vote for Brexit deals in this parliament, it will be MUCH harder after the next one. Of all the Lab MPs who were considering voting for a deal, either they will be voted out at the election; or they will have just been re-elected on explicit commitments to a new referendum, therefore will feel they have much more of a 'mandate' to point-blank refuse any Tory Brexit deal.

If there's not a Tory majority in the election, for the first time I'll think Brexit is over.
    There wont be
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,858
    This type of polling, coupled with consistent polling from YouGov about Brexit being the wrong decision,

Up to a point, Lord Copper.....

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1188425761063165952?s=20
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    timmo said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

There wont be
    Even if there is not, the Tories will always be a Brexit party now. Their membership demands it. They will get a majority sooner or later.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Danny565 said:

And I think you would probably be right.

Quite the rallying cry isn't it.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

If there's not a Tory majority its quite probable that it is over. So why are Remainers not up for an election?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2019
    SunnyJim said:

Danny565 said:

And I think you would probably be right.

Quite the rallying cry isn't it.
    But it might have a parallel effect on people who want to stop Brexit.

If this election really does boil down to a de-facto second referendum (which, after being a sceptic of that idea for so long, now I reluctantly agree with), then, given the Remain and Leave camps are roughly equal in size, a hung parliament is likely IMO. Yes yes, "split votes" etc., but I'm just not convinced that people who hate Boris and his Brexit policy aren't going to default to the best option of stopping him when it comes down to it (though to be fair, for the same reason, I'd expect the Tories to squeeze what remains of the Brexit Party vote, too).
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    timmo said:

Y0kel said:

Hard to know. At the moment everyone is trying to get on the credit list. Turkish officials claim to have been onboard with this operation. There are stories that Tahrir Al-Sham, what used to be called Al Nusra the Al Qaeda affiliate that underwent a rebrand, was aware Baghdadi was in Idlib and were out to get him. On the other hand, the Kurdish dominated SDF says they were involved and that the Turkish military operation delayed the potential assault on Baghdadi.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293

This type of polling, coupled with consistent polling from YouGov about Brexit being the wrong decision,

Up to a point, Lord Copper.....

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1188425761063165952?s=20

It's possible to believe Brexit is the wrong decision and also think we should do it. People with such views are unlikely to vote for Brexit if given the chance though.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If the WAIB does come back then it’s going to still be difficult to get it over the line .

The DUP given their comments over the weekend are going to support any amendments that in their view protect the Union .

So closer alignment with the EU would help that , and so a Customs Union etc .

The Labour Leavers barring the 6 who voted with the government on the programme motion are going to be under huge pressure to support a CU as that’s the Labour manifesto.

One of the Labour MPs , John Mann is moving to the HOL on Tuesday .

It might just be one vote but the government has little room in terms of votes .

The numbers for the second reading are the max available votes . The only way is down from there .

The FT leak is now a huge problem for Labour MPs who are seeking a way of supporting the government.

The second reading is IMO .

AMINO .

A majority in name only !

It might still scrape over the line but who would put money on it .
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    But other polls show people want Brexit delivered...

In other news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7617677/Rebel-Labour-MPs-mount-secret-WhatsApp-plot-bring-Jeremy-Corbyn.html

Where have I heard that before?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563
    edited October 2019
    "Asked to consider the difficulties the government has had in reaching an agreement, 57% of UK adults surveyed said that they believed it would have been better not to have had a public vote in June 2016."

But isn't that first clause a sign that the finding is probably biased? If the question had been phrased "A democracy means that power comes from the people. The public decided by a referendum whether to remain in the Common Market in 1975. Considering that, should the next generation have decided whether to continue our membership of the EU in 2016?", you might have got an entirely different answer. Equally biased, but in the opposite direction.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

If there's not a Tory majority its quite probable that it is over. So why are Remainers not up for an election?
    Because they are more interested in keeping their jobs, than the abstract principle of EU membership.

(When job losses were abstract, it was one thing. When immintent, another.)
  • Options
    Pop quiz

Who said

(the EU is ) 'a regional arm of the globalisation project. Its unswerving adherence to liberal markets, deregulation and privatisation is to the detriment of working people…

'The EU is a bureaucratic, largely undemocratic organisation with a largely powerless parliament.

'And presently constituted, it cannot and will not serve the people of Europe.'

Clue - not Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Pop quiz

Who said

(the EU is ) 'a regional arm of the globalisation project. Its unswerving adherence to liberal markets, deregulation and privatisation is to the detriment of working people…

'The EU is a bureaucratic, largely undemocratic organisation with a largely powerless parliament.

Probably that Greek guy who did so much to get kids addicted to gambling for real money i video games.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    If Labour tabled a VNOC to be debated on Tuesday , an election could be set for 17th December. Too close to Christmas?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

I think Remainers, of all parties, are up for an election... but not on the rigged terms that the slimy Cummings and his puppet ABDPJohnson want to impose.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

I think Remainers, of all parties, are up for an election... but not on the rigged terms that the slimy Cummings and his puppet ABDPJohnson want to impose.
    How are the terms rigged? The terms are the same as they've always been.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Yawn....
  • Options
    PClipp said:

I don't understand how the terms for an election on 12th are 'rigged' but one for the 9th is not. I really think your partisan hatred is leading you to oversell this. I thought the only difference is 9th means no time for Boris to make a game of trying to get the WAIB through as part of, essentially, early campaigning.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

Aren`t they trying to suppress the vote by means of requiring ID?

Apart from getting round all the rules over expenditure, of course.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

There's no way that would be done in time for an election in December. Delay it longer, and perhaps.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    It's to be presumed that 100% of political bettors are very pleased that the referendum took place, because it has offered so many betting opportunities.

For example, does anyone really think there is a 1 in 25 chance of our leaving the EU in four days' time? But we can still bet against it on that basis.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

No.
  • Options

PClipp said:

PClipp said:

No.
    I'm also curious how the rules on expenditure are going to be changed/broken.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,858
    Again? And not so "secret" if its in the Sun:

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1188477328659308545?s=20
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Like they tried to suppress driving by introducing the breathalyzer.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

Pop quiz

Who said

Probably that Greek guy who did so much to get kids addicted to gambling for real money i video games.
    Varoufakis predates lootboxes by quite some distance.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Not for this election
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2019

DEja vu.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Floater said:

Pop quiz

Who said

That sounds like Peter Crouch.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Y0kel said:

timmo said:

Y0kel said:

Hard to know. At the moment everyone is trying to get on the credit list. Turkish officials claim to have been onboard with this operation. There are stories that Tahrir Al-Sham, what used to be called Al Nusra the Al Qaeda affiliate that underwent a rebrand, was aware Baghdadi was in Idlib and were out to get him. On the other hand, the Kurdish dominated SDF says they were involved and that the Turkish military operation delayed the potential assault on Baghdadi.
    The Telegraph is reporting that the Iraqi security services captured one of his wives, a nephew and the wife of a courier and one of those gave the details. This of course could be a cover campaign to cover the real source.
  • Options

It's possible to believe Brexit is the wrong decision and also think we should do it. People with such views are unlikely to vote for Brexit if given the chance though.

That’s me. I think it's a mistake but I think we must do it but I hope we don't - if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

That’s me. I think it's a mistake but I think we must do it but I hope we don't - if that makes any sense.
    I used to think I was indecisive myself. Now I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

If you said that and we had a fair PR electoral system then I'd bite your hand off. It's pretty obvious that the Tory's strategy is to push through their Brexit on 35% of the votes because they couldn't get it ratified in a referendum.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

timmo said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

There wont be
    Even if there is not, the Tories will always be a Brexit party now. Their membership demands it. They will get a majority sooner or later.
    Agreed. Especially while Farage is still around banging his drum.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Interesting question.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

If you said that and we had a fair PR electoral system then I'd bite your hand off. It's pretty obvious that the Tory's strategy is to push through their Brexit on 35% of the votes because they couldn't get it ratified in a referendum.
    If you're not happy with it then what's to stop you from overturning it on 35% of the votes in the future?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Lol, at the time the Special Forces were raiding ISIS Trump was on the golf course.

https://twitter.com/ImpatientCatX1/status/1188473956308787200?s=19
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    edited October 2019

OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

If you're not happy with it then what's to stop you from overturning it on 35% of the votes in the future?
    It takes a shitload more than 35% of the vote to rejoin the EU. They'd have to let us in for starters. Leaving is a cliff edge in more than one sense: you can't fall up a cliff.
  • Options
    Noo said:

OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

It takes a shitload more than 35% of the vote to rejoin the EU. They'd have to let us in for starters. Leaving is a cliff edge in more than one sense: you can't fall up a cliff.
    But you can fly up it on the back of a unicorn. If the unicorn has wings. And if the unicorn isn't ascending so steeply you fall off. And probably under a few other conditions.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

I think that is, in essence, the Liberal Hypocrites election manifesto.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

No to both. More Lib Dem myths.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Lol, at the time the Special Forces were raiding ISIS Trump was on the golf course.

They probably didn't tell him because he's a fucking liability.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Pop quiz

Who said

Ah Dear John. Our future chancellor.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Coolly holing out on the 4th as the Bad Guy "died like a dawg" thousands of miles away in an operation that he personally planned in the minutest detail, carried out to precise perfection by a small group of his loyal and magnificent soldiers.

The base swoon in unison. The legend grows.
  • Options
    Noo said:

OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

52% already voted to leave.

If you're not happy with the form of leave vote for another at the next General Election. Its called taking back control.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Although any future Tory government could remove a customs union amendment etc from the WAIB the optics of going into the election with that there could prove a gift to the Brexit Party.

It would be better for the Tories to pull the bill and go into an election without a deal rather than an amended WAIB.

Labour Remainer MPs must back a CU as a means to wreck the deal . As for Labour Leavers refusing to back the CU and just waving the deal through is likely to mean game over for them .

There are so many moving parts to how things might turn out .
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Incidentally, just got a new review of Sir Edric and the Plague (my SPFBO entry), so if you're wondering whether to buy it or not you should give it a look:
    https://booknest.eu/component/k2/spfbo/1689-sir-edric-and-the-plague-the-hero-of-hornska-3
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Coolly holing out on the 4th as the Bad Guy "died like a dawg" thousands of miles away in an operation that he personally planned in the minutest detail, carried out to precise perfection by a small group of his loyal and magnificent soldiers.

The base swoon in unison. The legend grows.
    He sank one in four shots, while the SEALS did four with one shot....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,592
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Tweet: "Hey ISIS bad guy. LOOK out yer window. SUCKER!"
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

The tweet would have been: "So excited. My special forces will be executing ISIS bad guy and Nancy Pelosi's friend Bag Daddy. Wanted to be part of raid myself stopped by killjoy nonothing Generals."
  • Options

Is this from 2017?
  • Options
    So - as we're just four days away from No Deal - any advice on stockpiling?
  • Options

There is no GE2019
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Yes, don't bother
  • Options

Is this from 2017?
    In the mail today too

I must admit to checking the date :-)
  • Options
    Chris said:

Don't?

Way back in the 80's there were rumours that there would be a sugar shortage. My grandmother proceeded to stockpile 30 bags of sugar and, to be fair, so did all her neighbours. Guess what? There was a sugar shortage!
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I think this poll is dangerous for Boris Johnson ...
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Chris said:

So - as we're just four days away from No Deal

We're not.

Forget it.
  • Options

Floater said:

Pop quiz

Who said

Ah Dear John. Our future chancellor.
    :-)

Lets hope he never gets any real power
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    If the GOP were smart they would try harder to win more African Americans. Just winning a few more % of socially conservative blacks, would give them a durable majority, and enough state legislative control for a constitutional amendment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidshor/status/1188490860536762369
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Alistair said:

So the White House released a staged photograph of Trump overseeing the raid from the situation room, taken a couple of hours later.

This does fit a pattern, as there have been multiple reports over the last couple of years of the DoD keeping Trump out of the loop, or even misleading him to counteract some of his stupidest demands.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour had 13 years to introduce proportional representation. For some bizarre reason they didn't do so. (There was no need for a referendum IMO).
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Way back in the 80's there were rumours that there would be a sugar shortage. My grandmother proceeded to stockpile 30 bags of sugar and, to be fair, so did all her neighbours. Guess what? There was a sugar shortage!
    Had you considered some people would be very pleased with a self induced shortage to point at.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

But not in your grandmother's house, by the sound of it.

You don't have to run faster than the lion, only faster than at least one of the other people who are running away from it.
  • Options

There is no GE2019
    Because Labour are running away as hard and fast as they can - whilst simultaneously claiming to want one.

Almost as impressive as it is farcical.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,706
    Fishing said:

"Asked to consider the difficulties the government has had in reaching an agreement, 57% of UK adults surveyed said that they believed it would have been better not to have had a public vote in June 2016."

But isn't that first clause a sign that the finding is probably biased? If the question had been phrased "A democracy means that power comes from the people. The public decided by a referendum whether to remain in the Common Market in 1975. Considering that, should the next generation have decided whether to continue our membership of the EU in 2016?", you might have got an entirely different answer. Equally biased, but in the opposite direction.

Yes. And also hindsight questions like this are without meaning. I am sure if asked we would row back on the wisdom of the diplomacy which led to the outbreak of WW1, our failing to confront Hitler earlier than we did, permitting the Iraq war, moderate Labour MPs nominating Corbyn in order to be fair to the ultra left and other matters too numerous to mention. So what? You may as well get opinions on counterfactuals like "How would things be now if the pressure for a referendum continued to be resisted by the entire political class, despite public support for one, to this day".

• Options
    PClipp said:

What are these "rigged terms"? I genuinely don't know.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,706
    AndyJS said:

PClipp said:

What are these "rigged terms"? I genuinely don't know.
    +1

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Noo said:

OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You're 100% correct.

If Remainers had accepted the referendum result with good grace, we could then have elected a 35% government post-Brexit on a Rejoin referendum. When Remain won, Leavers would have had to accepted it. The democratic instinct of the British people would have meant they couldn't have got out again without another 50%+ result, and demographics would have prevented this. This is the beauty of having a clear set of rules that everyone abides by. You might not like the result, but you accept the way we got there and democracy can continue.

But instead Remainers have legitimised changing the rules as you go, using every parliamentart subterfuge possible, and ignoring a referendum result with a parliamentary majority, elected under FPTP. The Lib Dems have even been stupid enough to validate it by saying a GE win means no referendum is needed. This has screwed us pro-Europeans as Tories are inevitably going to be able to do this in reverse within 10 years.

It was a childish, short-sighted and emotional response by an economic demographic not being able to cope with loss.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

You don't have to run faster than the lion, only faster than at least one of the other people who are running away from it.
    Most people had enough sugar (because they'd hoarded it) or knew someone who had. And - to answer Floater's point - they were all proud that they had listened to the rumours and not been caught out!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour had 13 years to introduce proportional representation. For some bizarre reason they didn't do so. (There was no need for a referendum IMO).

I think any major constitutional change should have a referendum.
  • Options

There is no GE2019

April 2020 GE is what is revealed when I rub my ball.

And Brexit done - with a Deal - before then.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

Most people had enough sugar (because they'd hoarded it) or knew someone who had. And - to answer Floater's point - they were all proud that they had listened to the rumours and not been caught out!
    So essentially you're asking us to be altruistic, and drink our sugarless tea with an upper lip fortified by the knowledge that if we'd bought an extra couple of bags someone else instead of us would be going without?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

I don’t think so. This country has proven its not politically mature enough to deal with referendums.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

So essentially you're asking us to be altruistic, and drink our sugarless tea with an upper lip fortified by the knowledge that if we'd bought an extra couple of bags someone else instead of us would be going without?
    I'm not asking you to do anything. I'm just pointing out that stockpiling is the quickest way to have a shortage of something.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

I don’t think so. This country has proven its not politically mature enough to deal with referendums.
    Because it gave the wrong answer?
  • Options
    Chris said:

I am concentrating on life or death matters such as clean water. 6 weeks supply is prudent IMO.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

The referendum itself was not the problem. The aftermath however...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Don't?

I'm not asking you to do anything. I'm just pointing out that stockpiling is the quickest way to have a shortage of something.
    Society soon returns to Hobbes' State of Nature when a shortage of bread, milk, sugar or petrol threatens.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

Ask a silly (ill defined) question, get a silly answer.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

If the GOP were smart they would try harder to win more African Americans. Just winning a few more % of socially conservative blacks, would give them a durable majority, and enough state legislative control for a constitutional amendment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidshor/status/1188490860536762369

As a general rule, though, supporting neo-Nazis in Charlotteville is not the kind of thing that goes down well with any African Americans, socially conservative or not.

Trump can't pivot to collect socially conservative African Americans, or socially conservative Latinos, because he has chosen the mantle of identity politics for Whites who feel the system is stacked against them.
  • Options
  • Options

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

The aftermath has been the MPs doing their best to defy the leave vote without looking like they are. Boris just got a deal after they said he wouldn't, he tried to pass it and now they won't.

Pity the voters who have given the instruction, not the establishment who won't listen to it.
  • Options

I think this poll is dangerous for Boris Johnson ...

Yawn.

Would you like to list those five things that are NOT dangerous for Boris Johnson in your world?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

AndyJS said:

The aftermath has been the MPs doing their best to defy the leave vote without looking like they are. Boris just got a deal after they said he wouldn't, he tried to pass it and now they won't.

Pity the voters who have given the instruction, not the establishment who won't listen to it.
    The voters last instructed politicians in 2017 and it produced a clear mandate to do... er, nothing clear. One may as well say that we should hold politicians to the 2015 election result and re-elect David Cameron.
This discussion has been closed.