Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the turnout at the next general election

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

Isn't there a new set of EU financial regulations which come into effect on Jan 1st and are supposed to be 'detrimental' to some prominent people in UK?

No - it’s been debunked multiple times. It’s a myth propagated by people who want to demonise Brexiteers as shady international financiers. I wonder what they are implying/assuming?
    That Brexiteers are shady international financiers, at a guess.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995

Hannan's piece reads quite reasonable to me, except for the fact that Remainer May being in power dragged out the period of shock at Brexit until she was replaced. As soon as we had a Leaver as PM terms were indeed easily enough.

You really mean "as soon as we had a PM prepared to bend any law, sideline Parliament and break up the UK, terms were agreed easily enough"?
    I was busy yesterday, but as I recall from Friday, terms are not agreed...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Whenever I need a laugh I go back and read old Brexit prospectus. This one from Carswells old mate is particularly good.

https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/

Though we will probably Brexit, I think it unlikely to be a grateful demos afterwards. This survey in the Observer is an interesting one. Even amongst Leavers there is a substantial minority who wished the whole business of the referendum had never happened.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/26/opinium-poll-observer-uk-voters-regret-brexit-referendum-conservative-lead-over-labour?__twitter_impression=true
    Hannan's piece reads quite reasonable to me, except for the fact that Remainer May being in power dragged out the period of shock at Brexit until she was replaced. As soon as we had a Leaver as PM terms were indeed easily enough.
    Er... When are you expecting Denmark, Ireland and the Netherlands to follow us out of the EU?
    The piece was written from the future which hasn't happened yet.

I'm not expecting anyone to immediately follow us out but I do think many are watching to see how Brexit goes. Right now, especially due to the self-inflicted dragging us down inflicted by Remainer May and Remainer MPs in Parliament Brexit looks like it might be more hassle than its worth but once we are out and Project Fear is shown to be the BS it always was then a smooth Brexit can fuel Euroscepticism in a good way. People should be in the EU because its what they want not because they're afraid there's no alternative.

I don't expect Ireland to follow us out, and probably not the Netherlands either - but I think Denmark and Sweden certainly might.
  • Options
    Good morning

My thoughts and IMHO

Boris will fail to get a GE tomorrow

The EU will confirm extension to 31st January on tuesday, not least because it was Parliaments request. Also the joint letter from the Lib Dems and SNP to the EU formally asking for this date to hold a GE provides the EU with the reason they have been demanding

The Lib dem - SNP amendment to the FTPA is put forward and according to Sophy Ridge all the opposition parties now support it including the DUP

Labour try to amend it for 16s, but as stated in the media, it is impossible to do so before Christmas, so their amendment falls and the election is confirmed

Between the election Boris features as host of the NATO conference in London

The GE sees gains for the Conservatives, SNP and Lib Dems and labour suffering loses from all sides

The GE may give Boris a majority, but equally it may not giving the Lib Dems a golden opportunity of demanding a referendum in a remain dominated HOC

Labour are in a crisis that sees the end of the Corbyn era

And - I think that will do for now
  • Options

We Remainers have a "Powerful backer"?? No one told me.

I wonder who it is?
    Gary Lineker perhaps?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Foxy said:

You really mean "as soon as we had a PM prepared to bend any law, sideline Parliament and break up the UK, terms were agreed easily enough"?
    I was busy yesterday, but as I recall from Friday, terms are not agreed...
    Yes indeed, but sadly, it seems likely that the Brexiteers will get their way and all of us will have to live with the consequences of their obsession.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Ishmael_Z said:

The wilting flower theory that people won't vote cos it's parky out, is bullshit.

It will definitely make a difference at the margins, but since an election wouldn't happen in winter unless there was an important reason for it then there will be other effects that will increase turnout. I'd expect the latter effects to be stronger than the former.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    nunuone said:

I wonder who it is?
    The establishment.

Whether it be the courts, MPs, the speaker, the media, the rich etc all want to block Brexit
    "...the rich etc all want to block Brexit"

Arron Banks, James Dyson, Tim Martin, Peter Hargreaves, Jeremy Hosking, Lord Edmiston, Crispin Odey, Lord Bamford, the Barclay brothers, Viscount Rothermere, Jacob Rees-Mogg and many, many others beg to differ.

https://www.businessinsider.com/twenty-one-biggest-donors-to-the-leave-brexit-campaign-2017-5?r=US&IR=T
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

The wilting flower theory that people won't vote cos it's parky out, is bullshit.

It will definitely make a difference at the margins, but since an election wouldn't happen in winter unless there was an important reason for it then there will be other effects that will increase turnout. I'd expect the latter effects to be stronger than the former.
    At least all we snowflakes will be out in force :wink:
  • Options
    nunuone said:

I wonder who it is?
    The establishment.

Whether it be the courts, MPs, the speaker, the media, the rich etc all want to block Brexit
    Are these the same MPs who just voted for Brexit before the dastardly remain leaning PM stalled it? And dont get me started on those lefty remainiac media outlets like the Express, Mail, Sun and Telegraph! Or the rich like Dyson, Banks, Rees Mogg, Martin, why cant they support a proper Brexit!
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Good morning

My thoughts and IMHO

The EU will confirm extension to 31st January on tuesday, not least because it was Parliaments request. Also the joint letter from the Lib Dems and SNP to the EU formally asking for this date to hold a GE provides the EU with the reason they have been demanding

The Lib dem - SNP amendment to the FTPA is put forward and according to Sophy Ridge all the opposition parties now support it including the DUP

Labour try to amend it for 16s, but as stated in the media, it is impossible to do so before Christmas, so their amendment falls and the election is confirmed

The GE sees gains for the Conservatives, SNP and Lib Dems and labour suffering loses from all sides

The GE may give Boris a majority, but equally it may not giving the Lib Dems a golden opportunity of demanding a referendum in a remain dominated HOC

All these thing could come to pass. It's as good a prediction as any but there are so many alternatives.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Good morning

My thoughts and IMHO

Sorry, that wasn't written in quatrains like Nostradamus, so we can't take it seriously.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229

Foxy said:

On a lighter note, Star Wars fans eagerly awaiting the next extravaganza ....

Oooo yes! I will have to see when that one hits the cinemas :)
    Usually just before Christmas, believe it is 19th December this year.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Whenever I need a laugh I go back and read old Brexit prospectus. This one from Carswells old mate is particularly good.

Though we will probably Brexit, I think it unlikely to be a grateful demos afterwards. This survey in the Observer is an interesting one. Even amongst Leavers there is a substantial minority who wished the whole business of the referendum had never happened.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/26/opinium-poll-observer-uk-voters-regret-brexit-referendum-conservative-lead-over-labour?__twitter_impression=true
    Er... When are you expecting Denmark, Ireland and the Netherlands to follow us out of the EU?
    Hannan is a fruitcake
  • Options

Foxy said:

I'm not expecting anyone to immediately follow us out but I do think many are watching to see how Brexit goes. Right now, especially due to the self-inflicted dragging us down inflicted by Remainer May and Remainer MPs in Parliament Brexit looks like it might be more hassle than its worth but once we are out and Project Fear is shown to be the BS it always was then a smooth Brexit can fuel Euroscepticism in a good way. People should be in the EU because its what they want not because they're afraid there's no alternative.

I don't expect Ireland to follow us out, and probably not the Netherlands either - but I think Denmark and Sweden certainly might.
    Pipedreams Philip!
  • Options

Good morning

My thoughts and IMHO

All these thing could come to pass. It's as good a prediction as any but thwere are so many alternatives.
    Indeed, but they are only my musings and others are on offer
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

On a lighter note, Star Wars fans eagerly awaiting the next extravaganza ....

Oooo yes! I will have to see when that one hits the cinemas :)
    Usually just before Christmas, believe it is 19th December this year.
    Yikes! That is a bit close to Xmas.

It is also a THURSDAY!!!!

Election day? :)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Hannan is a fruitcake
    Of course. But @Philip_Thompson (for all I disagree with him) is usually more reasoned in his thinking.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

See above - I now think we should be considering the danger of severe weather of "Do not travel unless your journey is essential" levels decimating turnout.
  • Options
    Nicky Morgan hanging in there wanting the deal passed by 6th November and then go for the election on the 12th December

I just do not see how she gets an either or agreement

• Options

It probably wouldn't happen again, but what if it did???

https://twitter.com/SpaJw/status/1188242740301033472?s=20

We'd have a preview of how well the British public would deal with No Deal Armageddon.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Good morning

My thoughts and IMHO

Sorry, that wasn't written in quatrains like Nostradamus, so we can't take it seriously.
    Way above my simple understanding and lack of knowledge of latin
  • Options

I wonder who it is?
    Gary Lineker perhaps?
    Who?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

See above - I now think we should be considering the danger of severe weather of "Do not travel unless your journey is essential" levels decimating turnout.
    Now that really would be funny... election abandoned due to blizzards. 😂
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Hannan is a fruitcake
    Of course. But @Philip_Thompson (for all I disagree with him) is usually more reasoned in his thinking.
    Yes he is but he does get a bit carried away at times.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Charles said:

No - it’s been debunked multiple times. It’s a myth propagated by people who want to demonise Brexiteers as shady international financiers. I wonder what they are implying/assuming?

The tried & tested 'racists' formulation probably works here -

Most Leavers are not shady international financiers.

But almost all shady international financiers are Leavers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    None of whom are on the electoral register and very very few of whom would be able to be added that quickly

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I'm a big Harry Turtledove fan. Could we not adopt his scenario from the World War series and have the Election abandoned due to Lizards?
  • Options

I wonder who it is?
    Gary Lineker perhaps?
    Who?
    He is a very powerful and rich man who the BBC regularly allow on their shows! Apparently lived in Barcelona for a bit so may have been recruited by the EU then to go deep undercover?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited October 2019
    Phil Hammond running scared on Sophy

Going to stand as an Independent
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The 2001 Locals were postponed by Foot and Mouth as I recall.
  • Options
    Sat here at my beach front cafe having Café Cortardo and Churros for Breakfast. Was slightly surreal coming through Alicante airport wondering if that was the last time I'd be able to do so via the EU channel...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

One out of two correct isnt bad.
  • Options

Hope the remain alliance give him a free run.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It would certainly be interesting to hear the local therwilloftherpeople theorists on what happens next when you elect a government on an exclusively urban turnout of 22%.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pipedreams Philip!
    No pipedreams. Quite frankly I couldn't care less whether Sweden [which I think is most likely] or any others follow us out. But I do think that if Sweden and others stay in it should be because they want to and not becase they're afraid of the consequences of leaving - is that an unrealistic pipedream?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Hammond is being given a free run. The LDs are standing aside
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,943
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sending a frail septuagenarian into the freezing cold of of a British December for six weeks? I know Cummings wants to win at all costs but have a heart!
  • Options

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    It’s impossible to add that age group on by December .
    Extending the franchise to 16-17 year olds should be something that the voters have a say in. If you want it, put it in your manifesto and get a majority/coalition that will implement it.
    +1
  • Options
    Hammond wants to amend to a customs union, wants a week in the HOC and two weeks in the HOL and out by the 30th November

A customs union would see Boris pull the deal and without a GE we are out with no deal on the 31st January
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,131
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/27/english-tories-have-lost-the-slightest-reason-to-care-about-the-union

"As ever with Johnson, there are pragmatic reasons for finally letting Scotland go, which resonate with an almost frightening level of personal ambition. The departure for good of all Scottish MPs would make it almost impossible for Labour to entertain any prospect of power in the foreseeable future. This would leave him virtually unopposed as prime minister of England for a generation."
  • Options

So that was 3,765 votes last time.

Compared to the Tories 31,436
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Hannan is a fruitcake
    And he's the most repetitive poster PB has ever experienced since the late Plato discovered her fondness for Trump.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited October 2019
    Chuka just accepted there is no chance of a peoples vote in this HOC and a new HOC is the only way to proceed

He added there is not have time to pass votes for 16s
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Sat here at my beach front cafe having Café Cortardo and Churros for Breakfast. Was slightly surreal coming through Alicante airport wondering if that was the last time I'd be able to do so via the EU channel...

North or south costa Blanca?
  • Options
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Hannan is a fruitcake
    And he's the most repetitive poster PB has ever experienced since the late Plato discovered her fondness for Trump.
    How am I repetitive?

I just take and form my own opinions and argue them from my own principles, without sticking to any partisan line. How is that repetitive?
  • Options

So that was 3,765 votes last time.

Compared to the Tories 31,436
    So Hammond got 31,436 and Bluekip 0? Promising start.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044

Hammond wants to amend to a customs union, wants a week in the HOC and two weeks in the HOL and out by the 30th November

A customs union would see Boris pull the deal and without a GE we are out with no deal on the 31st January

All this obsession with a customs union is utterly bonkers, it would be the worst of all worlds and we would be better in the EU than being used as leverage in their trade deals with others.

The only reason people are pushing it is that it's utterly unacceptable.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    Sandpit said:
    Another example for @TSE to add to his chaos theory:

Man in Washington telephones Ukraine, people die in Syria.
  • Options

I’m in Malta and picked the one week in the year when it’s raining. Boo hiss.
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Hannan is a fruitcake
    How am I repetitive?

I just take and form my own opinions and argue them from my own principles, without sticking to any partisan line. How is that repetitive?
    Well... it is only ONE set of principles. Boris seems to have many :D:D
  • Options

The assumption seems to be that the NATO conference will be an opportunity for Johnson to play the statesman and look Prime Ministerial - and thus be a benefit electorally.

However, I'm not convinced it will get much coverage - with the exception of whatever Trump says. I think it's quite likely that Trump says things that can be broadly categorised as:
    1. Isn't Boris great? He's great!
    2. You NATO bozos need to pay the US more dough to defend you. Putin is great too! Europeans are losers!
    3. The Democrats are liars and traitors! I'll impeach them, see how they like it!

Unless Johnson goes all Love Actually on Trump I don't see how that plays well for him at all. A personal endorsement from Trump, in person, in London, a week before the election? Grade A kryptonite.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2019
    Most 16yr olds don't know their arse from their elbow.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    None of whom are on the electoral register and very very few of whom would be able to be added that quickly

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I'm a big Harry Turtledove fan. Could we not adopt his scenario from the World War series and have the Election abandoned due to Lizards?
    Though
    Sandpit said:

All this obsession with a customs union is utterly bonkers, it would be the worst of all worlds and we would be better in the EU than being used as leverage in their trade deals with others.

The only reason people are pushing it is that it's utterly unacceptable.
    It is still Brexit, and quite viable. If the Tories pull their Deal, it is no ones fault but their own.
  • Options

We allow people with serious dementia to vote.

The best argument against 16 years old voting is simply the cut off line is arbitrary and 16 is no better or worse than 18, so the status quo should remain.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

Also true of most voters
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The Lascaris war rooms are worth a visit and the national museum rather good.
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Hannan is a fruitcake
    How am I repetitive... How is that repetitive?
    Ummmm...
  • Options

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Hannan is a fruitcake
    How am I repetitive?

By repeating those principles hundreds and hundreds of times a week.
  • Options

So even though they know Johnson’s an arse, they won’t give him the elbow?
  • Options

The assumption seems to be that the NATO conference will be an opportunity for Johnson to play the statesman and look Prime Ministerial - and thus be a benefit electorally.

However, I'm not convinced it will get much coverage - with the exception of whatever Trump says. I think it's quite likely that Trump says things that can be broadly categorised as:
    2. You NATO bozos need to pay the US more dough to defend you. Putin is great too! Europeans are losers!
    3. The Democrats are liars and traitors! I'll impeach them, see how they like it!

Unless Johnson goes all Love Actually on Trump I don't see how that plays well for him at all. A personal endorsement from Trump, in person, in London, a week before the election? Grade A kryptonite.
    If it's on the day of the election it will get no TV coverage at all - and be a complete nightmare for the police to have simultaneous major events.

If it's during the campaign it will only get mentioned in passing 'This is where Boris was today, he said he looks forward to NATO being strengthened' - before moving on to 'Jeremy says NATO is an imperial construct that should be abolished'
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    ydoethur said:

Haven't you got to go and play with your organ?

Edit: Obviously not, hope you have a fun holiday!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

The Lascaris war rooms are worth a visit and the national museum rather good.
    Indeed yes, I’m planning to do a lot of exploring. But today as I only arrived at 4am I fancied a gentle wander around on my own. Weather seems to be putting paid to this idea.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

I’m on holiday. You can’t take an organ with you, especially not one with an eight foot horn. It doesn’t fit in the seat.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

The joke is, I chose Malta partly in the hope of nice warm weather. And indeed, I was sitting on the balcony in shirtsleeves until it started raining.
  • Options

The best argument against 16 years old voting is simply the cut off line is arbitrary and 16 is no better or worse than 18, so the status quo should remain.
    Cutoffs at 5 years old, or 97, would also be arbitrary. That is probably the worst argument of any kind ever advanced since the invention of speech.
  • Options
    John Ashworth says that once the EU give the extension to the 31st January we will give the matter consideration

The whole interview is an oscar performance of obfuscation

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

I’m on holiday. You can’t take an organ with you, especially not one with an eight foot horn. It doesn’t fit in the seat.
    I did for a while have a practice organ (an old analogue Viscount) on our narrowboat. Sadly I never got to play 565 while going through Harecastle Tunnel.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cutoffs at 5 years old, or 97, would also be arbitrary. That is probably the worst argument of any kind ever advanced since the invention of speech.
    5 or 97 are clearly worse than 16 or 18. 16 is not clearly worse or better than 18.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If it's on the day of the election it will get no TV coverage at all - and be a complete nightmare for the police to have simultaneous major events.

If it's during the campaign it will only get mentioned in passing 'This is where Boris was today, he said he looks forward to NATO being strengthened' - before moving on to 'Jeremy says NATO is an imperial construct that should be abolished'
    So Jezza agreeing with Trumpy?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

We allow people with serious dementia to vote. .
    Paging @Foxy

Is this correct? I thought it was one of the conditions that meant somebody lost their vote in its later stages, although I will admit I don’t know much about it either way. Seems a bit silly if true.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,182
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Isn't there a new set of EU financial regulations which come into effect on Jan 1st and are supposed to be 'detrimental' to some prominent people in UK?

Uncanny! How did you deduce the bloody obvious such a subtle subtext?... :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We allow people with serious dementia to vote. .
    Paging @Foxy

Is this correct? I thought it was one of the conditions that meant somebody lost their vote in its later stages, although I will admit I don’t know much about it either way. Seems a bit silly if true.
    https://www.candi.nhs.uk/news/voting-rights-mental-health-patients
  • Options

John Ashworth says that once the EU give the extension to the 31st January we will give the matter consideration

Your not watching the rugby?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    Jo Swinson just said that Boris didn’t try to get a deal. Imagine how good a PM he would be if he tried...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Severe weather is possible at any time of year. There have been some very severe floods during a few recent summers for example. Granted that it's more likely in winter, but I'm not sure how much more likely the "do not travel" red weather warnings are.

Perhaps that's something to send the Met Office a question about.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

The joke is, I chose Malta partly in the hope of nice warm weather. And indeed, I was sitting on the balcony in shirtsleeves until it started raining.
    Well it’s 18 and hazy here heading for 23/24 so back in jeans
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Your not watching the rugby?
    Yes but with one eye on Sky on my tablet

Now 100% watching the lads
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Well it's hot and sunny where I am, although starting to get colder now as we move toward winter. Only 35C today. ;)
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

5 or 97 are clearly worse than 16 or 18. 16 is not clearly worse or better than 18.
    Speaking as somebody whose job is to work on a daily basis with adolescents, I would flatly disagree. An awful lot of growing up is done between 16 and 18. At sixteen they haven’t learned caution and will try literally anything. At eighteen, they are settling down a bit - although they can still be rather wild they are beginning to learn how to say ‘no.’

Personally, I would have said in my experience 21 would be a better age to grant the vote, as a great deal more growing up is done in those years. But unfortunately Wilson allowed that ship to sail fifty years ago.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,166
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

You didn’t go in search of the Maltese organs ?
    https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/Celebrating-Malta-s-historic-pipe-organs.527651
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

It’s a dog whistle for anti-semites - not suggesting people on this site who post it have this intention - but the original source did
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/27/english-tories-have-lost-the-slightest-reason-to-care-about-the-union

"As ever with Johnson, there are pragmatic reasons for finally letting Scotland go, which resonate with an almost frightening level of personal ambition. The departure for good of all Scottish MPs would make it almost impossible for Labour to entertain any prospect of power in the foreseeable future. This would leave him virtually unopposed as prime minister of England for a generation."

Can only be good for us Carnyx
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Jo Swinson just said that Boris didn’t try to get a deal. Imagine how good a PM he would be if he tried...

Imagine how good a person he might have been had he ever tried...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Speaking as somebody whose job is to work on a daily basis with adolescents, I would flatly disagree. An awful lot of growing up is done between 16 and 18. At sixteen they haven’t learned caution and will try literally anything. At eighteen, they are settling down a bit - although they can still be rather wild they are beginning to learn how to say ‘no.’

Personally, I would have said in my experience 21 would be a better age to grant the vote, as a great deal more growing up is done in those years. But unfortunately Wilson allowed that ship to sail fifty years ago.
    And others would disagree and say 16 is better, hence it being the choice in Scotland, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Austria, Brazil, Argentina amongst others.

I can see merits in your answer but also in those who put the case for 16. Ergo neither is clearly worse or better than the other, and the status quo should remain.
  • Options

Foxy said:

A new Hanseatic League always more economic sense than the EU...

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/Celebrating-Malta-s-historic-pipe-organs.527651
    I was lead astray looking for falcons...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

It is overcast in Lanzarote so you are not alone, still very pleasant though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719
    edited October 2019
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's all rubbish. The franchise should only be available to net contributors to the Exchequer.

No representation without net contribution of taxation.

The country has gone to the dogs since we started widening the franchise, we've lost an empire for starters
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

It is overcast in Lanzarote so you are not alone, still very pleasant though.
    Just had a major rumble of thunder.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,225
    nunuone said:

I wonder who it is?
    The establishment.

The media?! This will be the media that's spent forty years poisoning the public's mind against the EU with bollocks stories about straight bananas etc. The courts are just trying to enforce the law, as is their job. The rich are split on Brexit, but on both sides have more clout than the rest of us because they're rich. MPs are split, they are mostly trying to stop a no deal Brexit. The speaker is trying to let MPs have their say, because that is his job. You're being paranoid.
  • Options

nunuone said:

I wonder who it is?
    The establishment.

The media?! This will be the media that's spent forty years poisoning the public's mind against the EU with bollocks stories about straight bananas etc.
    Ridiculous to talk about straight bananas.

Evreryone knows they’re asexual and reproduce by cloning.

Well, the edible sort anyway.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

No, they are not.

(There are plenty of international financiers who are pro-Remain. Like any other sector it is split)
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,225
    Charles said:

Although I am precisely the kind of “Remainiac” Carswell wants hounded out of the country, I don’t think it is reasonable to change the franchise all of a sudden.

I read it as Brexit blockers - in Parliament - not people who don’t like Brexit

People like you may campaign against it but it’s not the same as “blocking” it because (no offence) you don’t have that power
    So you can campaign against it, but as soon as you start becoming effective you are a traitor and need to be chucked out of the country? Got it!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

I was lead astray looking for falcons...
    “You always have such a smooth explanation”....
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

A personal endorsement from Trump, in person, in London, a week before the election? Grade A kryptonite.

I agree with this and would expect Trump to receive a polite request from Boris not to comment on the GE.

In the same way Obama waded in to the referendum campaign backfired so would an endorsement from Trump.
This discussion has been closed.