Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s not forget that Johnson’s precarious parliamentary situa

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Pro_Rata said:

Can anyone timeline between now and Jan 31 to include:

(1) The few more days for the EU to confirm expected extension
    (2) Wash up, dissolution, GE (I expect GE will be close to 25 working days from dissolution, much more would be another clear misuse of prerogative powers and probably illegal)
    (3) Queen's Speech for new parliament
    (4) Christmas recess
    (5) The 21 days to pass an international treaty.

Or will we, in January, be trying to guillotine the bill through in 3 days again (albeit having had much longer visibility of the WAIB)?

5) is not an issue, there is a clause in the act that allows a minister to decide if the situation warrants no 21 day period.
    Which is another reason the WAIB is not fit for pupose
    All problems lead back to Article 50 not being fit for purpose.
    Its funny that if a referendum on the Lisbon treaty had been held and rejected, there would be no A50 and I think the only way to leave would be a no deal free for all.
    Boris would just have sent a letter.....
    But he wouldn’t of signed it😀
    Oh I think he might have signed that one!

Dear EU,

We're off! Cheerio.

Love n kisses

Boris

XXX
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Pro_Rata said:

(2) Wash up, dissolution, GE (I expect GE will be close to 25 working days from dissolution, much more would be another clear misuse of prerogative powers and probably illegal)
    (4) Christmas recess

Or will we, in January, be trying to guillotine the bill through in 3 days again (albeit having had much longer visibility of the WAIB)?

5) is not an issue, there is a clause in the act that allows a minister to decide if the situation warrants no 21 day period.
    Its funny that if a referendum on the Lisbon treaty had been held and rejected, there would be no A50 and I think the only way to leave would be a no deal free for all.
    We’d have probably negotiated the future relationship while still a member. All this time wasted thanks to the ridiculous sequencing rules.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Pro_Rata said:

(4) Christmas recess

Dear EU,

We're off! Cheerio.

Love n kisses

Boris

XXX
    Well he may not have been prime minister!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    So are we getting an election or not?
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    a a a
    nichomar said:
    Fascinating figures on capitalism there. Both anti- and pro-capitalists split evenly.
    Any interpretation on that?
  • Options
    Henry_CHenry_C Posts: 73

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Pro_Rata said:

(4) Christmas recess

Dear EU,

We're off! Cheerio.

Love n kisses

Boris

XXX
    Boris wants a deal, insofar as he cares one way or the other. But he hasn't got a clue how to get one. Jacob wants No Deal.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    New thread.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Everything sounds better in French, but especially bullshit.

I had some work colleagues who favoured "Le testes de chien" as a mark of approval
    I could listen to people talking French all day. I can't understand a word of it but it always sounds so sophisticated and eloquent. I imagine they're just talking the same kind of shit Anglophones do, but the illusion of intelligence is very strong.
    I am afraid that familiarity breeds contempt to some extent. I do understand what they are saying which removes the mystique. I assume it is the same for any language.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

I propose everybody STFU about the letter.

- Boris has had to send it
    - It hasn't been the stake through the heart that Remainers hoped.

Boo hoo. Next time try silver bullets.

The stake was in good working order. There was no heart.
  • Options
    RobD said:

We’d have probably negotiated the future relationship while still a member. All this time wasted thanks to the ridiculous sequencing rules.

Does the sequencing thing come from Lisbon? TBH I've never understood where it came from: it was quoted by the EU as though it was Holy Writ, but I never did work out which particular verse of Holy Writ specified that 'Thou shalt not discuss the long-term relationship with a departing member state until after it has left, except as regards the Irish border natch.'

It is certainly the case that it was completely daft, and a major cause of the mess which is in neither our nor the EU27's interests.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    edited October 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

(4) Christmas recess

14 Jan election, hung parliament, takes 10 days to form a weak govt....you can guess the rest.
    Discovery of cold fusion in barn in Barnsley.
    Development of new industries.
    Canonisation of Tony Blair.
    EU dissolved with member countries agreeing to be single constituencies in new United Kingdom of Great Britain and Some other Places.
    Victory in Eurovision song contest.
    David Cameron transitions and then marries the Prince of Wales.

It's all there if you just know how to read the signs.
    Just to say.

I referenced both Pons and Fleischman in my thesis (albeit their more conventional papers).
    I am within spitting distance of the barns of Barnsley.
    I've had some promising results with the fillings of Crispy Pancakes.

It all starts to fall into place.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Banterman said:

People forget Boris is fluent in French

Does his bullshit sound any better in French?
    Much. Conneries (literally c*ntery!)
    Too strong, no?
    Peut-être. Though I expect many here would think it a perfect word to describe ABdePJ :)
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    If the government continues with debating the WAB is there any point at which an amendment could be made where it would be too late for them to withdraw the bill?

I looked up the definition of Committee Stage...

𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘉𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦-𝘣𝘺-𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢 𝘉𝘪𝘭𝘭'𝘴 𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨. 𝘐𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘥𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘢𝘥𝘥𝘦𝘥.

𝘐𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘢𝘴𝘬 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘥𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘣𝘺 𝘢 𝘴𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘯𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘔𝘗𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘗𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘤 𝘉𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘦. 𝘖𝘤𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘣𝘺 𝘢 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘦 𝘏𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦, 𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘶𝘴𝘶𝘢𝘭 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘓𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴.

Am I right in thinking this is the final stage and, in the case of the WAB, would be debated in parliament as a whole?

Would the Committee Stage be the point at which amendments would be tabled and where the bill could still be withdrawn?
This discussion has been closed.