Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s not forget that Johnson’s precarious parliamentary situa

Comments

• Options

@Philip_Thompson tying himself in knots trying to pretend Boris in fact kept his promise that we’d leave on 31st October is very funny.

I'm not. Johnson was blocked by Parliament quite clearly which is why we need an election.
    But he said we would definitely leave. No ifs or buts.
    And he gave it his best but the numbers aren't there in Parliament which is why we will have an election as soon as the cowards agree to one.
    But he didn’t say he’d try his best. He said he’d rather die in a ditch than extend article 50.

As everything Boris says it was complete bollocks.
    And that's what he'd rather but Parliament had other ideas and Parliament sent a letter to extend Article 50 against his better judgement.

He's not above the law.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

Exactly. Just imagine if - without Benn - Boris had not had the internal leverage to get his new deal agreed by the ERG and was staring No Deal in the face today with no alternative but Revoke... he'd have been destroyed either way.

So the Benn Act actually saved him and the Conservative Party, as the Benn family has been doing for generations. Thanks guys!

My view entirely. Absent the (ill judged) Benn Act he would have had to own the choice for 31 Oct of a WTO Brexit or seeking an extension. Rock. Hard place.

I am hoping that come 31 Jan that IS where Labour put him. Let's out-Dom Dom.
    The main reason for the Benn Act was to stop no deal not destroy the PM. It has worked, no deal was seen as a realistic proposition from the ERG and co in the summer, it is now very unlikely.
    The legalities have worked, the politics less so.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

TOPPING said:

@Philip_Thompson tying himself in knots trying to pretend Boris in fact kept his promise that we’d leave on 31st October is very funny.

I'm not. Johnson was blocked by Parliament quite clearly which is why we need an election.
    So what did the "do or die" pledge mean?
    Well he tried to get this session of Parliament to die to get the mandate from the country, but the cowards hid behind the sofa. They can't keep doing that forever.
    Maybe not but as @Gallowgate notes, there wasn't a codicil to Boris' pledge. Do or die..rather die in a ditch...

Or was it a wholly unwarranted, ignorant, showboating claim that has now been exposed (not that his supporters seem to care) and was said on the spur of the moment without an understanding of its implications?

Was it that?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

Exactly. Just imagine if - without Benn - Boris had not had the internal leverage to get his new deal agreed by the ERG and was staring No Deal in the face today with no alternative but Revoke... he'd have been destroyed either way.

So the Benn Act actually saved him and the Conservative Party, as the Benn family has been doing for generations. Thanks guys!

My view entirely. Absent the (ill judged) Benn Act he would have had to own the choice for 31 Oct of a WTO Brexit or seeking an extension. Rock. Hard place.

That kind of appeals to me. Let 31st Jan roll round and see what he does.

It could mean No Deal, but even that idea is growing on me. We would at least get to see is Project Fear is truly a myth, and if it isn't, we would all learn what happens when a Nation votes for what it wishes without due care and consideration.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

And he gave it his best but the numbers aren't there in Parliament which is why we will have an election as soon as the cowards agree to one.
    But Parliament has given the WAIB a Second Reading - Johnson is now preventing it proceeding further.
    So does Labour want to keep the Tories in Downing Street or not?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Why does that mean an election is needed? A Prime Minister who was not elected leading a government without a majority cannot expect to get a policy that no one voted for through on a deadline that he has chosen without the sanction of the electorate.
    That enough about Leo Varadkar

you get very DUP when you visit Belfast
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

But he didn’t say he’d try his best. He said he’d rather die in a ditch than extend article 50.

Yes. I don’t think people expected him to literally die but the choice of words used did lead to a reasonable expectation that he would resign rather than send the letter.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Well he tried to get this session of Parliament to die to get the mandate from the country, but the cowards hid behind the sofa. They can't keep doing that forever.
    Maybe not but as @Gallowgate notes, there wasn't a codicil to Boris' pledge. Do or die..rather die in a ditch...

Or was it a wholly unwarranted, ignorant, showboating claim that has now been exposed (not that his supporters seem to care) and was said on the spur of the moment without an understanding of its implications?

Was it that?
    Die in a ditch is a metaphor.

It was his opinion but we don't have elected dictatorship and his opinion doesn't override Parliament or the law.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Don't we have some similar PB geographers ?

https://twitter.com/KieranPAndrews/status/1187301954810273793

Change at Thurso.
    I'm more put out that she seemingly describes the whole of the South West as "obscure"!!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:

There may yet come a day when BoZo announces he will reverse Brexit.

If he thought it would win him the election he would do it in a heartbeat

Without a doubt. If right now he thought Revoke would deliver him a majority, Revoke would be his policy.
    He should talk to Ken Clarke who suggested that long ago ...
    I hope Ken Clarke is slightly friendlier towards him than Alan Duncan was.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

But Parliament has given the WAIB a Second Reading - Johnson is now preventing it proceeding further.
    Just let them dangle helpless for a few months longer!
  • Options

justin124 said:

Nineteen Labour MPs voted for the Bill. I think their constituents are entitled to wonder.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    philiph said:

I think Johnson would win the Deal / No Deal / Revoke poker game against the other forces of Parliament. If the Benn act hadn't mandated an application for an extension (still not granted) he would have won the battle to leave on 31/10/19.

The fear of No Deal or the consequences (electoral) of revoke would have given him the winning hand holding his shiny new deal card. The battle of WDA amendments would not have been pretty!

Perhaps. But I think it would have led to Johnson seeking an extension if the opposition held their nerve. Let's see what happens for 31 Jan if we get that far.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Yes. I don’t think people expected him to literally die but the choice of words used did lead to a reasonable expectation that he would resign rather than send the letter.
    Parliament sent the letter though.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Change at Thurso.
    I don’t think that “train to Orkney” is so outrageous. Before the Tunnel opened I think rail travel was expected to involve a certain amount of time on a ferry if you were going anywhere outside the GB mainland.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Why does that mean an election is needed? A Prime Minister who was not elected leading a government without a majority cannot expect to get a policy that no one voted for through on a deadline that he has chosen without the sanction of the electorate.
    That would be why he is seeking the sanction of the electorate.

If Parliament doesn't want the PM's policies it should VONC and choose a new PM, or we should go to the polls and let the public sort it out.
    So an election isn't needed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

The main reason for the Benn Act was to stop no deal not destroy the PM. It has worked, no deal was seen as a realistic proposition from the ERG and co in the summer, it is now very unlikely.
    The legalities have worked, the politics less so.
    But remember it could not have passed with the votes of Clarke, Letwin, Stewart, Hammond etc. These are not people who are anti the Conservative party, they are anti no deal.

There is a clear majority in parliament to do everything to stop no deal. The majority actually against the govt is possibly non existant and wafer thin if it does exist.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

DougSeal said:

:D
  • Options

Yes. But I don't think Johnson would, at the death, have had the stomach for No Deal. Therefore absent the Benn Act HE would have sought an extension. That is much much better for Labour.

PS: I'm in my Labour rather than Remainer persona here.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

I am sure Mr Meeks can see that his own eloquent description of the state of affairs is a very precise analysis to lots of people of why an election is needed; exactly so that what happens has 'the sanction of the electorate'.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Change at Thurso.
    I don’t think that “train to Orkney” is so outrageous. Before the Tunnel opened I think rail travel was expected to involve a certain amount of time on a ferry if you were going anywhere outside the GB mainland.
    Scot Rail don't think it outrageous - https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-by-rail/destinations/orkney-shetland

"Trains to Orkney & Shetland"
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Was it that?
    Die in a ditch is a metaphor.

It was his opinion but we don't have elected dictatorship and his opinion doesn't override Parliament or the law.
    Ah I see so he didn't really mean it. In fact, despite his frequent and repeated pledges to leave by October 31st he knew he couldn't make good and it was just a rhetorical device. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Whose letterhead was on Parliament's letter?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2019

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

No Deal is still the default (currently set for 31/10/19) if no other result is implemented. So it is hard to say it has succeeded in doing anything (apart from pointless arguments about who wrote a letter), yet.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes. But I don't think Johnson would, at the death, have had the stomach for No Deal. Therefore absent the Benn Act HE would have sought an extension. That is much much better for Labour.

Labour do not have anything like a majority in parliament. Blocking no deal does. The objective of the Benn act was to stop no deal.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Justin.

I believe you are being naive on the WAIB. It passed the second reading on the votes of 19 labour mps who then played games with the programme motion hoping to amend the deal in committee stage to include a customs union or referendum.

In that act Boris would have no choice but to withdraw the deal and see a GE. Those in no 10 can see through this gaming and have come to the conclusion the deal could not survive the committee stage

Hence the very strong possibility of Boris calling a GE sometime this weekend or before.

He simply does not trust this HOC to pass brexit
  • Options

That kind of appeals to me. Let 31st Jan roll round and see what he does.

It could mean No Deal, but even that idea is growing on me. We would at least get to see is Project Fear is truly a myth, and if it isn't, we would all learn what happens when a Nation votes for what it wishes without due care and consideration.

Yay!

And we stop playing the "Boris Johnson Project" on his terms.
  • Options
    philiph said:

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

No Deal is still the default (currently set for 31/10/19) if no other result is implemented. So it is hard to say it has succeeded in doing anything (apart from pointless arguments about who wrote a letter), yet.
    True but I'd expect the EU to give us an extension. Probably till 30th January but could be shorter.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I think you're right. Short of an election it would have been an impossible choice. By removing his choice, they removed his responsibility.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

What the government is being blocked on is pretty irrelevant. Our system is sort of predicated on the government being able to command a majority of the HoC. If they can't, there are two solutions - VoNC to replace with an alternative administration that can command support, or GE, to see if that changes the parliamentary arithmetic. That Brexit is the crunch issue is pretty much by the by.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

I am sure Mr Meeks can see that his own eloquent description of the state of affairs is a very precise analysis to lots of people of why an election is needed; exactly so that what happens has 'the sanction of the electorate'.

Fake Prime Ministers with no authority can't expect to get elections at their convenience. They should be seeking to construct a majority with the resources at hand, not demanding to pull the handle of the fruit machine.
  • Options
    philiph said:

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

According to Betfair no deal was a 40% chance in 2019 for much of the year, it is now down to 5%. That is wonderful progress for which I am very grateful to Mr Benn and his friends.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Change at Thurso.
    Describing Orkney and the SW as obscure might be more damaging.

'Hello good people of this obscure place, I'd like to ask for your vote in the upcoming election. I promise you I will not trouble you with my presence ever again.'
  • Options
    edited October 2019

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Change at Thurso.
    Scot Rail don't think it outrageous - https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-by-rail/destinations/orkney-shetland

"Trains to Orkney & Shetland"
    Change at Thurso and Scrabster. At some times of year I think you can change at Aberdeen. My objection is describing it, or the South West, as 'obscure'. Not the word which comes to mind when at St Magnus Cathedral or Skara Brae; or Bath abbey come to that.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    TOPPING said:

As for the letter thing I will simply say, which I think will bring both sides together, that I would rather associate, have a drink, and be a fellow traveller with someone who, looking at the events, makes the assessment that Boris sent the letter than someone who thinks he didn't send the letter.

Looking forward to the beer.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

justin124 said:

Justin.

I believe you are being naive on the WAIB. It passed the second reading on the votes of 19 labour mps who then played games with the programme motion hoping to amend the deal in committee stage to include a customs union or referendum.

In that act Boris would have no choice but to withdraw the deal and see a GE. Those in no 10 can see through this gaming and have come to the conclusion the deal could not survive the committee stage

Hence the very strong possibility of Boris calling a GE sometime this weekend or before.

Why shouldn't parliament amend the WAB, they are our elected representatives? If they don't like bits of this deal, or would like to add bits to it, that is their prerogative.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

What the government is being blocked on is pretty irrelevant. Our system is sort of predicated on the government being able to command a majority of the HoC. If they can't, there are two solutions - VoNC to replace with an alternative administration that can command support, or GE, to see if that changes the parliamentary arithmetic. That Brexit is the crunch issue is pretty much by the by.
    Neither the present nor the last government has sought to construct a majority. Both have expected one to emerge on their terms. Rather than give over to a thrashing tantrum, the government should simply try harder.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I think you're right. Short of an election it would have been an impossible choice. By removing his choice, they removed his responsibility.

kinabalu said:

It is unlikely Johnson has much appreciation of what No Deal would really mean in practice. He's not an economist, you know.
  • Options
    I've just been looking back at how MPs voted on the Lisbon treaty referendum bill. Corbyn, McDonnell and Bercow all voted for the referendum, as did all the SNP MPs. Abbott and almost all of the LDs abstained, as did a Tory called John Maples.

I didn't know anything about Maples, so looked him up. He was Nadhim Zahawi's predecessor in Stratford-on-Avon. In the expenses scandal it came to light that his primary residence was declared as 89 Pall Mall; the Royal Automobile Club! Don't remember that from the time.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Neither the present nor the last government has sought to construct a majority. Both have expected one to emerge on their terms. Rather than give over to a thrashing tantrum, the government should simply try harder.
    Exactly this.

I just wonder how many people here would agree with a Corbyn premiership on the same numbers trying to do whatever he wanted with the same tactics as Johnson...
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    algarkirk said:

And were that to result in another hung Parliament ?
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

Have you missed the part where Labour is comprised of absolute cowards?

Having established the precedent, they can now never refuse to pass another Benn Act, because there's always the chance Boris would take us over the cliff without one, in which case Labour's Remain base will never forgive them for not stopping him...
  • Options
    148grss said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Why shouldn't parliament amend the WAB, they are our elected representatives? If they don't like bits of this deal, or would like to add bits to it, that is their prerogative.
    The whole mess is down to two PMs deciding only they can interpret the meaning of the leave vote, and believing that their interpretation of the leave vote trumps parliaments simply because they are PM. That is just not our constitution (and rightly so). They should have worked across the house to deliver leave.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Fake Prime Ministers with no authority can't expect to get elections at their convenience. They should be seeking to construct a majority with the resources at hand, not demanding to pull the handle of the fruit machine.
    What is a fake Prime Minister?
  • Options
    kjh said:

TOPPING said:

As for the letter thing I will simply say, which I think will bring both sides together, that I would rather associate, have a drink, and be a fellow traveller with someone who, looking at the events, makes the assessment that Boris sent the letter than someone who thinks he didn't send the letter.

Looking forward to the beer.
    :)
  • Options
    148grss said:

Animal_pb said:

Exactly this.

I just wonder how many people here would agree with a Corbyn premiership on the same numbers trying to do whatever he wanted with the same tactics as Johnson...
    What if there were a referendum won to nationalise everything, then Corbyn got in and tried to do so but parliament blocked it?
  • Options
    148grss said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

It depends on the amendments. Custom union or referendum are not possible in this deal as this is the only deal available and the referendum is impossible in the timeframe

Of course workers rights, environment protections, etc are not a problem to be fair
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

justin124 said:

Justin.

Why would he have to withdraw the bill if he wants to leave?
  • Options

philiph said:

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

According to Betfair no deal was a 40% chance in 2019 for much of the year, it is now down to 5%. That is wonderful progress for which I am very grateful to Mr Benn and his friends.
    Are Betting Markets always right?

(I think no deal is very unlikely too)
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.
    Bits in bold highlighted fyi

“Dear Mr President,

The UK Parliament has passed the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019. Its provisions now require Her Majesty's Government to seek an extension of the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty, currently due to expire at 11.00pm GMT on 31 October 2019, until 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020.

I am writing therefore to inform the European Council that the United Kingdom is seeking a further extension to the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty. The United Kingdom proposes that this period should end at 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020. If the parties are able to ratify before this date, the Government proposes that the period should be terminated early.

Yours sincerely,

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Options
    philiph said:

algarkirk said:

One installed by a minority of MPs, with no mandate for his claimed programme, who has sought to suspend democracy rather than to deal with it and who now demands an election because he is too inept to broker deals that are there to be brokered.
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

Are Betting Markets always right?

(I think no deal is very unlikely too)
    Not at all, but they are a guide that can be referred to. If you are confident they are wrong there is plenty of money to be made with over £3m traded on that particular market.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

It’s like talking to a flat-earther.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Because this deal is the only deal and it was about to be filleted by mps and made void
  • Options

nichomar said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Because this deal is the only deal and it was about to be filleted by mps and made void
    Maybe Boris should have negotiated a deal he knew Parliament would support?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

“Dear Mr President,

The UK Parliament has passed the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019. Its provisions now require Her Majesty's Government to seek an extension of the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty, currently due to expire at 11.00pm GMT on 31 October 2019, until 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020.

I am writing therefore to inform the European Council that the United Kingdom is seeking a further extension to the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty. The United Kingdom proposes that this period should end at 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020. If the parties are able to ratify before this date, the Government proposes that the period should be terminated early.

Yours sincerely,

Parliament wrote that, not the PM.

Sincerely,
    TOPPING

PS you can see this post was sent by me not TOPPING as it has my 'letterhead' on it to the side, despite the fact I wrote TOPPING. On the letter Parliament wrote and in which they wrote Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland whose letterhead appears to demonstrate who it came from?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

“Dear Mr President,

Yours sincerely,

Sincerely,
    TOPPING

PS you can see this post was sent by me not TOPPING as it has my 'letterhead' on it to the side, despite the fact I wrote TOPPING. On the letter Parliament wrote and in which they wrote Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland whose letterhead appears to demonstrate who it came from?
    Stop it now. Its unbecoming.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

Whose letterhead is on the letter?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

Have you missed the part where Labour is comprised of absolute cowards?

Having established the precedent, they can now never refuse to pass another Benn Act, because there's always the chance Boris would take us over the cliff without one, in which case Labour's Remain base will never forgive them for not stopping him...
    That is not fair. Don't be beastly to our Labour friends. Every one of them on here has accepted that as it stands, Labour are unelectable. So they are in the middle of a crisis whereby they have to reconcile that understanding, with somehow wanting to be in power to save the poor.

Any solution which you or I might suggest, involving the words: "Corbyn" "of" "rid" "get" is pooh-poohed.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Staying in the customs union would be agreed in a heartbeat, a customs union would be more difficult if not impossible.
  • Options

philiph said:

algarkirk said:

One installed by a minority of MPs, with no mandate for his claimed programme, who has sought to suspend democracy rather than to deal with it and who now demands an election because he is too inept to broker deals that are there to be brokered.
    I don't think we can claim that Johnson is a Fake PM, our system does allow this.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

“Dear Mr President,

Yours sincerely,

Sincerely,
    TOPPING

Stop it now. Its unbecoming.
    If you won't stop saying silly things, expect them to be called out.

Parliament wrote a letter and signed it with the PM's title. Parliament wrote the letter, Parliament passed the letter, Parliament put its letterhead on the letter and then it got sent by an Act of Parliament.

But yeah its the PM's letter *rolleyes*

Its like talking with a brick wall, why do I bother?
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    Is there any betting on who in the House of Fools will introduce the next Surrender Act to stop us leaving on the 31st January 2020? I see that Jared O'Mara and Keith Vaz are still in the Commons voting against the government. Can I bet on one of those putting his name to the next Surrender Act? Or as an outsider Lord Bercow of Buckingham?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

“Dear Mr President,

Yours sincerely,

Sincerely,
    TOPPING

"I am writing"

Parliament sure enough made him send it, but he sent it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Just let them dangle helpless for a few months longer!
    It should deliver another 20 or 30 Labour seats to the Tories and the Libdems if that happens.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

You are confusing two things: the wishes of the PM and the good of the country. An election is needed not because it may suit the convenience of Corbyn, Johnson or anyone else but because no other route out has been found. If a majority can be constructed out of this parliament and Boris can't or won't do it then a simple route of VONC + 14 days for Corbyn or someone to construct one exists. They have not used it. So it should be (but won't be) an election. For the convenience of the poor long suffering voter.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

“Dear Mr President,

Yours sincerely,

Sincerely,
    TOPPING

"I am writing"

Parliament wrote "I am writing" not him. Doesn't matter what words you quote from Parliament's letter, they wrote it and passed it in an Act of Parliament - not an Act of the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    edited October 2019

justin124 said:

Justin.

I don't buy it.

I don't believe the Labour rebels are simply or even mainly placed for a CU wrecking amendment, these are people in the main who now do want Brexit done (and thus erred in rejecting May). I don't believe CU has the numbers. Also, on the Ken Clarke side, voting for a CU in an indicative vote is a very different proposition to voting for a CU that actually brings the bill down.

I think Boris is throwing his hand when he does have the numbers to get the deal through essentially intact.

The programme motion loss to give proper scrutiny was, frankly, a no brainer.
  • Options

philiph said:

algarkirk said:

I don't recognise that as an established or legitimate description of a Prime Minister.

All PMs are installed by a minority of MPs, if we are taking the point of election to Party leader as the reference point.

We don't have a GNU, which rather implies that no other candidate has a majority of MPs supporting them.

I'll let you enjoy the suspend democracy schtick, although the High Court didn't find against him, so whilst the SC were unanimous there were other opinions available at the time.

He has got closer to brokering a deal as at least the 2nd reading passed, so a questionable point.

When nobody has a clear majority of mandate, an election seems like a reasonable suggestion.

Apart from that, you are spot on.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

You are confusing two things: the wishes of the PM and the good of the country. An election is needed not because it may suit the convenience of Corbyn, Johnson or anyone else but because no other route out has been found. If a majority can be constructed out of this parliament and Boris can't or won't do it then a simple route of VONC + 14 days for Corbyn or someone to construct one exists. They have not used it. So it should be (but won't be) an election. For the convenience of the poor long suffering voter.

I think you're confusing those two things.

It is now quite apparent that there is a majority in this Parliament for Brexit and that could be got through quite smoothly. It is not, however, the one that Boris Johnson is currently pursuing. Rather than reward Boris Johnson for his high-handed ineptness, the current Parliament should persevere to conclude the major task for which it was elected.
  • Options
    148grss said:

philiph said:

algarkirk said:

I don't think we can claim that Johnson is a Fake PM, our system does allow this.
    Agreed, it is up to the HoC to remove him if they so desire.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

“Dear Mr President,

Yours sincerely,

Sincerely,
    TOPPING

"I am writing"

Parliament wrote "I am writing" not him. Doesn't matter what words you quote from Parliament's letter, they wrote it and passed it in an Act of Parliament - not an Act of the Prime Minister.
    They passed an Act of Parliament saying the Prime Minister should send the letter and the letter was sent. By the Prime Minister, because that is what the law said. You are saying that Boris didn't send it which would be fine except for the fact that Boris is also the Prime Minister and he knew that the letter would have to be sent in his name and indeed it was. So he was party to the agreement. Otherwise he could have resigned as Prime Minister and the problem would have been solved. But whoever was Prime Minister was compelled to send the letter and indeed did so.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Some difference of opinion is to be expected, but those results are stark in the extreme.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Good god are those the real numbers ???????????

That poll implies ~30% of the population is homophobic. Shameful :/
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Parliament instructed someone to send the letter. It instructed the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister acceded to that instruction. Ergo he sent the f***ing letter.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

I've never seen such desperate nonsense written about the letter. It was addressed to someone, it had the PMs name and position at the end of it and it had a request in it starting with the word 'I' and was sent. For goodness sake that is a letter.

A signature is irrelevant. I communicate solely by email and attach letters. For the last 7 years I have been involved in a campaign which involves me writing to government departments and ministers. I have never signed a single letter and many I receive are unsigned. It has no relevance.

Others suggesting he didn't send it but someone else did. Probably true, but it was sent with his authority and therefore from him. You have to be an idiot to think that letters you receive from say CEOs of large companies, etc were actually sent by them personally. If it was sent without his authority he should be declaring that an imposter sent it. He hasn't.

This is absolutely desperate pathetic stuff that borders on cult following.

It wasn't sent with his authority, it was sent with the authority of law.

It may have his title and the word I but he didn't write it, MPs did. Just because they put someone else's name in it doesn't make the letter belong to the person whose name they put on it.
    He could have refused to send it. he didn't.
    No he couldn't, that was against the law.
    And when he said earlier that he would refuse to send it he knew that refusing to send it would be against the law.
    He didn't send it. His aides sent Parliament's letter and he sent his own on his own letterheaded paper.
    LOL

If I receive a letter then the letterhead normally says who that letter came from.
    LOL
    Nervous laughter when you know you've lost an argument is always awkward. My sympathies.
    LOL
  • Options

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

It is now quite apparent that there is a majority in this Parliament for Brexit and that could be got through quite smoothly. It is not, however, the one that Boris Johnson is currently pursuing. Rather than reward Boris Johnson for his high-handed ineptness, the current Parliament should persevere to conclude the major task for which it was elected.
    Sure that's quite reasonable if there is an alternative majority in Parliament.

It should start be VONC'ing the current PM if they're not happy with him and then choosing a new PM who can command that majority you think exists. I'm curious from which parties it exists and how you get the numbers given Johnson commands 288 MPs and there's at least 70 "No Brexit" MPs where do you find your alternative majority from.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    edited October 2019

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

You're being silly, Philip. Drop the bone now, please.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:
    Well, durrrr!

The Benn Act asking for an extension to 31st January killed it stone dead.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds about right.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Parliament instructed someone to send the letter. It instructed the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister acceded to that instruction. Ergo he sent the f***ing letter.
    If I put a stamp on a letter and pop it in the post and then Royal Mail takes the letter I stamped and delivers it, did the Royal Mail send the letter?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    Some difference of opinion is to be expected, but those results are stark in the extreme.
    Doubt Nigel Farage will be attending gay pride anytime soon certainly
  • Options

DougSeal said:

LOL
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Wow that is shocking. It means that half the PB Leavers don't believe that homosexual people should be treated just like other people.

That is very unnerving.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

“Dear Mr President,

Yours sincerely,

Sincerely,
    TOPPING

"I am writing"

They passed an Act of Parliament saying the Prime Minister should send the letter and the letter was sent. By the Prime Minister, because that is what the law said. You are saying that Boris didn't send it which would be fine except for the fact that Boris is also the Prime Minister and he knew that the letter would have to be sent in his name and indeed it was. So he was party to the agreement. Otherwise he could have resigned as Prime Minister and the problem would have been solved. But whoever was Prime Minister was compelled to send the letter and indeed did so.
    I think you’re beginning to discover why it was futile arguing about the legitimacy of the May backstop with Philip.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    HYUFD said:
    That's another option knocked out then which leaves;

WA (un-amended in any meaningful way)
    GE

Seems to me to be realistically where we are.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/
  • Options
    PS to any PB Leaver who falls into the category of those who don't believe that homosexual people should be treated just like other people - go fuck yourselves.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Wow that is shocking. It means that half the PB Leavers don't believe that homosexual people should be treated just like other people.

That is very unnerving.
    That assumes PBers reflect the nation. I don’t think they do.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

The proportion who think homosexuality is immoral has fallen from 40% to 13% over 30 years. That is great progress not shameful. Across so many issues we do not take time to recognise the progress we have made and I think that is part of the reason the country is so fractured. We do great things and are one of the best places in the world to live! Yes we need to improve further but not everything is black and white.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Extraordinary difference between Leavers and Remainers.

Very saddening to see such widespread bigotry.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    When does the by-election writ have to be moved for Bassetlaw ? I'm going to be outwith parliamentary representation.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

If I put a stamp on a letter and pop it in the post and then Royal Mail takes the letter I stamped and delivers it, did the Royal Mail send the letter?
    Lie down in a dark room.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Sure that's quite reasonable if there is an alternative majority in Parliament.

It should start be VONC'ing the current PM if they're not happy with him and then choosing a new PM who can command that majority you think exists. I'm curious from which parties it exists and how you get the numbers given Johnson commands 288 MPs and there's at least 70 "No Brexit" MPs where do you find your alternative majority from.
    There is an entirely different way through the morass. Boris Johnson could simply change course. But that thought seems not to have occurred either to you or to him. If he really wants to get Brexit done, he needs to learn to compromise, as befits a Prime Minister whose majority is not so much underwater but far in the bathypelagic zone.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wrote the letter?

Who sent the letter?
    Parliament.

You're being silly, Philip. Drop the bone, or you'll wind up as another Comical Ali.
    I'm not being silly. I think it was you who mentioned receiving an unsigned letter from the Police earlier, how did you know it was from the Police? Did it have the Police's letterhead on it perhaps?

There were 3 letters sent. One was signed by the PM and had his letterhead on it. One was signed by an official. One was an Act of Parliament and had a corresponding letterhead. Which was sent by the PM?
This discussion has been closed.