Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Views on Brexit, the deal and the negotiations – latest YouGov

124»

Comments

• Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Time to deduct Manchester United 20 points for this as well annulling yesterday's result and awarding the three points to Liverpool.

Is the only way the fans will learn.

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1186367105626714118

The fan has to follow OGS's Man Utd?

Is that not punishment enough?
    There were I think three games this week, Man Ute makes four where it is claimed racist behavior has occurred. What is the answer? It has to be stamped out, individuals must be punished and failures by clubs stewards to deal with it when reported must also be punished.
    CCTV, Lifetime Bans and absolute Zero Tolerance.

I think the fans should be punished more than the stewards.
    If proven guilty I’d bang them up for a long time, the video I’ve watched showed YTFC fans remonstrating with the idiots and asking stewards to eject them. The danger of this is it being gamed by people for advantage. No idea what the answer is
    T
    PS it is very easy indeed to sign up to get seats for the opposition. A few members of my family and I once signed up to Man Utd membership in order to get tickets to a Man Utd v Liverpool League Cup game on my brother's birthday to which it was impossible to get Away seats. Went to Old Trafford wearing a Liverpool football shirt under my jacket - steward saw my shirt and advised me to zip up my jacket and keep it zipped through the game - and not to cheer if we scored, which we didn't we lost 1-0 - we were unique probably in the stand not to cheer when Utd scored.
    I’m a scouser that before going to Spain ended up in Somerset, there is no doubt that there are pockets of racism in Somerset but football has actually been a brilliant eye opener to many people’s views given how many ethnic minority players have played for them. I love the concept of community club and genuine local support. The best example to football is the Mersey side derby when there is no segregation and no problems.
    You must have been away a while then, because the days of the friendly derby are long gone. Poisonous these days, which is a shame. (The lack of segregation back in the day was before all seater stadiums and in an era where derby tickets went on general sale or to voucher holders so it was easy for thousands of Evertonians to be on the Kop and vice versa. )
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

tyson said:

Charles said:
    The behaviour of a fuckwit who has presided over the whole of the Commons being brought into disrepute. The damage this Parliament has done to the standing of our democratic systems will take decades to repair. And Bercow is one of the prime villains.
    You know no-one would even know the name John Bercow if it wasn't for the referendum....
    Simply not true. He has been a fuckwit all his life. People seem to have forgotten he was a nasty little piece of right wing shit when he was in the Monday Club and has always been a self serving little turd ever since.

I happen to think that the vast majority of his rulings over Brexit have been correct. I said the same about his decision today. It is not anything to do with his decision making that makes him a piece of dwarfish sputum, it is the way he always bigs himself up - often by taking advantage of his position to launch personal attacks on people.

His was hardly suited to be an MP. He is certainly utterly unsuited to be Speaker. The sooner he is consigned to history the better.
    I think the term 'speaker' is probably ironic. The best speakers (Thomas/Boothroyd) have been the ones who have said the least; mostly because they have had the respect of the House and haven't needed to say much. Hoyle will be in the same mould.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948

RobD said:

RobD said:

If the consequences weren't so drastic it would be highly amusing for the programme motion to be voted down and the EU refuse an extension. Then we could watch the opposition shit bricks trying to ram it all through

VONC and Revoke might be done in a day :wink:
    I was told that a VONC would take too long in the context of why Letwin's amendment was needed. :p
    Let's see if that's still true on October 31st if we're headed for a No Deal crash-out :smile:
    Which was my point when I was questioning why Letwin was even needed. It didn't go down well.
    The analogy I'd use is if the ship I am on hits an iceberg it's got lifeboats I can escape on and I will certainly use them if it comes to that.

I'd still much rather avoid the iceberg though.
    You should have believed in the boat more, and it would have been fine.
    nico67 said:

The workers rights provisions in the WAIB are pathetic .

Any Labour MP voting for this as a way of guaranteeing rights is deluded .

Anything in particular?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited October 2019
    Hillary Benn's caught up with the point I made earlier on tonight, cannot see Boris Johnson winning this vote.

https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/status/1186373549025615878
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

John Redwood is in a foul mood today in the chamber

Knows he is voting for BINO and consumed by self loathing.
    I am not sure I have ever seen him smile. He seems a singularly humourless man.
    He is one of the few politicians I have met who was utterly unpleasant IRL.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

So...best Brexit case scenario we leave in December time?
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1186382486416306182

The last thing Parliament needs is a route map to dither and long delay. That is not a public service.
    Can the timetable vote tie up the Lords like this? The far left tree branch seems to give the Lords no time to debate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Hillary Benn's caught up with the point I made earlier on tonight, cannot see Boris Johnson winning . this vote.

They would, they could VONC the government.
  • Options

Hillary Benn's caught up with the point I made earlier on tonight, cannot see Boris Johnson winning . this vote.

As much as giving parliament a say has caused trouble for the government (because none of them have been willing to propose something that would get through), it seems pretty rock solid a prediction than any point where parliament could be the decider in something later in the process but currently isn't in the bill, will be subject to a successful amendment.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882

Hillary Benn's caught up with the point I made earlier on tonight, cannot see Boris Johnson winning this vote.

Does it really matter?

We'll have had a general election and a new government by December 2020 anyway.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

To be fair, Chuka picked that up on Saturday. No Deal is only postponed - it hasn't gone away.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Of course, it was daytime. He should have been in his crypt.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

If the consequences weren't so drastic it would be highly amusing for the programme motion to be voted down and the EU refuse an extension. Then we could watch the opposition shit bricks trying to ram it all through

I was told that a VONC would take too long in the context of why Letwin's amendment was needed. :p
    Let's see if that's still true on October 31st if we're headed for a No Deal crash-out :smile:
    Which was my point when I was questioning why Letwin was even needed. It didn't go down well.
    The analogy I'd use is if the ship I am on hits an iceberg it's got lifeboats I can escape on and I will certainly use them if it comes to that.

nico67 said:

Anything in particular?
    Schedule 5 a 1b in the WAIB.

Essentially even if the minister can’t guarantee that rights won’t fall below E.U. standards he can still present the Bill to the House.

Because the level playing field in the WA is gone the insurance has completely disappeared. Any Labour MP voting for this deal should be ashamed .

• Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

nico67 said:

Anything in particular?
    Schedule 5 a 1b in the WAIB.

Essentially even if the minister can’t guarantee that rights won’t fall below E.U. standards he can still present the Bill to the House.

Because the level playing field in the WA is gone the insurance has completely disappeared. Any Labour MP voting for this deal should be ashamed .

That doesn't mean the bill will pass automatically - it's up for Parliament to decide by considering it and voting on it. Putting a limitation on what Parliament can and cannot debate is absurd, and can easily be repealed anyway.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,758

OT Hoorar for Arsenal and United helping do their bit to raise Spurs fans spirits off the floor a little... until tomorrow night anyway.

Yep, helping secure Leicester's third place :smiley:

Perhaps Liverpool's mistake was to play in Spurs kit...
  • Options
    stodge said:

To be fair, Chuka picked that up on Saturday. No Deal is only postponed - it hasn't gone away.
    Not if there's a general election and a majority Lib-Dem government. :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

stodge said:

Not if there's a general election and a majority Lib-Dem government. :D
    Alright GIN, you've had enough.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Completely O/t but this is utterly obscene: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50121708

The costs incurred (let alone the horrific death toll) as a result of the misuse and promotion of these drugs will exceed this every month. An absolute sweet heart deal that will undoubtedly ensure that Trump has no problem funding re-election.

Isn't that just the compensation for those two Ohio counties? Presumably many more will follow.

Incidentally, I am seeing more and more prescription opioid abuse here. Sadly it looks as once more we will copy the USA, 15 years behind.
    Yes I had misread it and assumed it was some sort of global settlement. Charles put me right. I would agree about the risks of opioid abuse here. These things seem to be handed out like sweeties.
    And who does the handing out? Are they not to be held responsible?
    In the USA a lot of the opioids were from Pill Mill pain clinics, where for a $300 10 minute consultation you walk out with a prescription worth 10 times that.

There is a significant secondary market too, where pensioners get legitimate prescriptions, then resell the drugs to addicts.

Increasingly the market has shifted to illegal Chinese synthetic goods and Mexican heroin, sold via a Deliveroo style system. Just as I gamble without ever going in a betting shop, there is no need to find a pusher anymore.

The events in Sinaloa and County Lines here show where the money is.
    Thanks. I was thinking of doctors prescribing opioids here. Is there much of an issue with that? Or are people buying this stuff online?
  • Options

tyson said:

Charles said:
    The behaviour of a fuckwit who has presided over the whole of the Commons being brought into disrepute. The damage this Parliament has done to the standing of our democratic systems will take decades to repair. And Bercow is one of the prime villains.
    You know no-one would even know the name John Bercow if it wasn't for the referendum....
    Simply not true. He has been a fuckwit all his life. People seem to have forgotten he was a nasty little piece of right wing shit when he was in the Monday Club and has always been a self serving little turd ever since.

I happen to think that the vast majority of his rulings over Brexit have been correct. I said the same about his decision today. It is not anything to do with his decision making that makes him a piece of dwarfish sputum, it is the way he always bigs himself up - often by taking advantage of his position to launch personal attacks on people.

His was hardly suited to be an MP. He is certainly utterly unsuited to be Speaker. The sooner he is consigned to history the better.
    He's a bully. And he's a bully with a huge amount of power over people.

Never a good combination...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    stodge said:

Unless you are a zealot..who wants to go through this again......No Deal needs to be taken off the table....

Even I...a remain muncher..I would probably get Brexit done, it it took the spectre of no deal away.....
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Time to deduct Manchester United 20 points for this as well annulling yesterday's result and awarding the three points to Liverpool.

How do you prevent gaming the system.

Spurs might get their fans to pretend to be other clubs fans in order to get the deduct and win the league :smiley:
    He was joking
    and you thought my response was serious...
    I should have clicked after you threw in that whopper about your being Irish
    Well the Irish government wrote to our family and asked if we wanted our passports back.

Does that count?
    And what did your family say?
    [X] has said yes. The rest have not needed to answer as [X]'s decision creates a precedent.

And I don't want to embarrass [X]

I suspect you may be able to guess who it is :smiley:
    :smiley: Thank you.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

How do you prevent gaming the system.

Spurs might get their fans to pretend to be other clubs fans in order to get the deduct and win the league :smiley:
    He was joking
    and you thought my response was serious...
    I should have clicked after you threw in that whopper about your being Irish
    Well the Irish government wrote to our family and asked if we wanted our passports back.

Does that count?
    And what did your family say?
    [X] has said yes. The rest have not needed to answer as [X]'s decision creates a precedent.

And I don't want to embarrass [X]

I suspect you may be able to guess who it is :smiley:
    Don’t Y and Z, A, B and C have minds of their own?
    Thanks to X it’s a free option. So the value optimising approach is not to exercise it.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Good evening all. Good win for Sheff Utd. Arsenal going nowhere.

As for Brexit, this Remainer Parliament will not agree any arrangement that means we leave the EU unless the EU denies an extension at some point. Parliament will continue to find reasons not to vote for a deal and will use any device or tactic it can to thwart or delay Brexit. This Parliament has no intention of honouring the referendum result.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    tyson said:

stodge said:

Unless you are a zealot..who wants to go through this again......No Deal needs to be taken off the table....

Even I...a remain muncher..I would probably get Brexit done, it it took the spectre of no deal away.....
    It seems getting Brexit done is not enough... the FTA needs to be done too.

What a bottomless crock of shite Brexit has turned out to be!
  • Options

tyson said:

stodge said:

It seems getting Brexit done is not enough... the FTA needs to be done too.

What a bottomless crock of shite Brexit has turned out to be!
    You can blame the EU and their sequencing for that.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

I don't think I've seen him smile either - like Anna Soubry, he always seems annoyed. But the prize for me was won by Douglas Hogg, for this exchange when we happened to be standing next to each other:

Me: "I met your new Labour opponent the other day, she seemed nice. I expect you'll have an amicable election."
    Hogg: "I have no idea who she is, but I am sure she is an UTTERLY INSIGNIFICANT WOMAN."

For a man with a safe seat he seemed needlessly worked up.

• Options
    Is that true after the transition is over?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    RobD said:

Yes.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,758
    Am I the only one who gets a whiff of anti-semitism with all the Bercow hate?
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes.
    Interesting, which are the relevant sections? I thought the deal just involved basically pre-clearance of good.
  • Options

I don't think I've seen him smile either - like Anna Soubry, he always seems annoyed. But the prize for me was won by Douglas Hogg, for this exchange when we happened to be standing next to each other:

Me: "I met your new Labour opponent the other day, she seemed nice. I expect you'll have an amicable election."
    Hogg: "I have no idea who she is, but I am sure she is an UTTERLY INSIGNIFICANT WOMAN."

Hilarious. I never understand why people can't just be nice! It's not that hard. We should all be trying to inject a bit of kindness and good cheer into the world, God knows it needs it.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

In a couple of weeks, he loses that power - and then the truth will be allowed to emerge.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

Leaving with the negotiated Deal now the preferred choice for Leave voters with 46% to 37% of Leavers for No Deal

It's almost as if most people know absolutely bugger all about any of it and just latch on to whichever option has the most chat flying around.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Anyone have any suggestion of the best site for Canadian results?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    stodge said:

Yes, but nobody has an answer to how you address that concern without us HAVING NO NEGOTIATING POISTION AGAINST THE EU IN THE TRADE TALKS.....

Legislate on this point - and you must then accept whatever shit the EU flings at you in bad faith.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Foxy said:

I don't see how his religious heritage is an factor here (I wasn't aware of it until you raised it)

I judge him only on his performance in the chair and his behaviour more generally.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Noo said:

Of course, it was daytime. He should have been in his crypt.
    Being a geek I have watched most of the days proceedings..I have seen him make at least 4 interventions all of them asking when the Govr is going to bring forward a FTA
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I suspect it's part of the story. I think it might be more because he used to be a proper right winger and has defected from the true path. But generally speaking if you want to be hated coming from some kind of minority group usually helps.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

ALL existing right will be protected and it would take an act of Parliament to change that. As it always could.

What more do you expect?

Why fear Parliament and the people who elect it taking control?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

I think the term 'speaker' is probably ironic. The best speakers (Thomas/Boothroyd) have been the ones who have said the least; mostly because they have had the respect of the House and haven't needed to say much. Hoyle will be in the same mould.
    The Speaker was the nominated spokesman of the house

The most appropriate comparable role is probably that of vorstandsvorsitzender
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

Much like Boris
  • Options
    Charles said:

TudorRose said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

That would make the House of Commons the Board of Directors of the nation.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I suspect it's part of the story. I think it might be more because he used to be a proper right winger and has defected from the true path. But generally speaking if you want to be hated coming from some kind of minority group usually helps.
    Surely for there to be anti semitism you have to know he is Jewish. Which until OLBs posting I had no idea.

So no. There is no whiff at all.

As for the rightwing stuff. That is a reason to detest him, not a reason to mourn his move away.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, everybody knows that only the left are capable of antisemitism. When the right go on about George Soros and so on it's just "legitimate concerns" about "globalists".
  • Options

What's to stop Parliament passing a future Benn Act to compel the government to request an extension if it was so concerned. This seems to be just like Article 50(3) so all the games we've had now could occur in the future it Parliament is so minded. And if it's not it's moot.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    And are we getting a Canada thread?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes.

I think Bercow is liked or hated for his own actions and nothing to do with his religion, heritage or race.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Good evening all. Good win for Sheff Utd. Arsenal going nowhere.

As for Brexit, this Remainer Parliament will not agree any arrangement that means we leave the EU unless the EU denies an extension at some point. Parliament will continue to find reasons not to vote for a deal and will use any device or tactic it can to thwart or delay Brexit. This Parliament has no intention of honouring the referendum result.

People talk about "this parliament" as if it just emerged from the ether. It was elected after Theresa May said the opposition parties were trying to frustrate Brexit, and specifically said that Labour were threatening to vote against the final agreement. This parliament has a more recent mandate than the 2016 referendum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xr9-CkZZRk
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2019
    Noo said:

Foxy said:

No, everybody knows that only the left are capable of antisemitism. When the right go on about George Soros and so on it's just "legitimate concerns" about "globalists".
    The George Soro stuff definitely is e.g. The regular use of anti-Jewish tropes in memes etc.

Bercow "hatred" no. I have never ever seen anybody raise his Jewish background (I had no idea). It is purely Brexit related, just as the extremists on both sides post unpleasant stuff about insert well known politician be it JRM or Jess Philips.
  • Options

Douglas has a good line in self-depreciation

(He’s insignificant therefore any opponent must be utterly insignificant)

But he’s very deaf and gets his volume wrong a lot
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes. He’s really just a knob.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Charles said:

What a conveniently charitable explanation vs the interpretation of the person who was actually being spoken to, a person who does not follow a policy of being rude about all their opponents like some MPs so not inclined to automatically think ill of them.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Anyone who hasn't looked want to hazard a guess at who the most popular labour politician (note: not famous) is in the YouGov rankings?
  • Options

Charles said:

TudorRose said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

That would make the House of Commons the Board of Directors of the nation.
    The Vorstand is the committee of managing directors - not quite the same as the board
  • Options

Hilarious. I never understand why people can't just be nice! It's not that hard. We should all be trying to inject a bit of kindness and good cheer into the world, God knows it needs it.

To be fair most MPs are perfectly nice, on all wings of Parliament. I have a host of pleasant encounters to remember, including this embarrassing moment when I was no longer an MP but running a charity stand at the Sinn Fein conference (the charity was trying out being represented at all the NI conferences). After a while I go on autopilot at these things and no longer really look at anyone.

Unknown man: Hello, how are you doing?
    Me: (absent-mindedly) Hello. May I give you a leaflet about our work?
    Woman beside him: Don't you know who this is?
    Me: Er... (Gosh, he does look familiar...oh, no, maybe it's...)
    Woman (furiously): It's Martin McGuinness, you're exhibiting at a Sinn Fein conference and you don't even know...
    Me: (blush) Of course. I'm so sorry!
    McGuinness: Ah, don't worry, man, ye canna remember everyone, I'm always having trouble like that...

Hmm. Slightly different from a former squaddie of my acquaintance who found himself near to McGuinness at some event or other: ‘Get out of my way or I’ll have you shot.’ (This was during the IRA ceasefire of the early nineties.)
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Freggles said:

Anyone who hasn't looked want to hazard a guess at who the most popular labour politician (note: not famous) is in the YouGov rankings?

Stephen Timms?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Foxy said:

Yes.

I think Bercow is liked or hated for his own actions and nothing to do with his religion, heritage or race.
    Only good guy in the cesspit, SNP MP's apart. So 36 out of over 600 decent people , rest a bunch of fannies.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Mr chaos with bacon sandwiches himself?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

What a conveniently charitable explanation vs the interpretation of the person who was actually being spoken to, a person who does not follow a policy of being rude about all their opponents like some MPs.
    I’m fond of Douglas. Known him all my life. Which may colour my views
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

The last thing Parliament needs is a route map to dither and long delay. That is not a public service.
    Disagree, for the sake of good governance there should always be an option to dither and delay unless absolutely unavoidable (continued government funding, incoming meteor impact, panzers rolling through Clacton etc).

Sometimes all the options turn out to be bad, or it's impossible to pass the good ones, and it's better to do nothing than do something disastrous.
    They are testing that to destruction though. When given time they fill it. Boris only got something done when he could not wile away the time as well.
    That was TMay not MPs. There have been a grand total of maybe 6 weeks in this whole thing bottlenecked on parliament, nearly all of it has been waiting for the government to give them something to vote on .
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Yes. He’s really just a knob.
    The Tories don't like it up em
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

What a conveniently charitable explanation vs the interpretation of the person who was actually being spoken to, a person who does not follow a policy of being rude about all their opponents like some MPs.
    Sounds like an abnoxious arrogant pompous snob going by that tale.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Not famous meaning merely not in the Shadow Cabinet or genuinely someone not well known?

Um, I'm drawing a complete blank. I'd assume someone like Starmer as most popular but he's obviously famous, as would be a bizarre outside shot like David Miliband.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Disagree, for the sake of good governance there should always be an option to dither and delay unless absolutely unavoidable (continued government funding, incoming meteor impact, panzers rolling through Clacton etc).

Sometimes all the options turn out to be bad, or it's impossible to pass the good ones, and it's better to do nothing than do something disastrous.
    They are testing that to destruction though. When given time they fill it. Boris only got something done when he could not wile away the time as well.
    That was TMay not MPs. There have been a grand total of maybe 6 weeks in this whole thing bottlenecked on parliament, nearly all of it has been waiting for the government to give them something to vote on .
    If you consider reflexively saying NO! to everything before it's even published not to be bottlenecking then sure.

It's easy to be quick if you don't need to think about what is proposed and are prepared to just immediately denounce it.

Which includes denouncing every single option proposed by MPs in indicative votes too not just the governments proposals.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Foxy said:

Yes. He was an arsehole before you pointed out his religion and he's an arsehole after it.

Being a minority doesn't preclude someone from being a massive ****.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Yes.

Only good guy in the cesspit, SNP MP's apart. So 36 out of over 600 decent people , rest a bunch of fannies.
    Really? All the SNPs are good people? Not one rotter in 35 of them? Forgive me for thinking that seems statistically improbable.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Yes. He was an arsehole before you pointed out his religion and he's an arsehole after it.

Being a minority doesn't preclude someone from being a massive ****.
    Great speaker and will be sorely missed, a ray of sunshine in a cesspit
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Not famous meaning merely not in the Shadow Cabinet or genuinely someone not well known?

Um, I'm drawing a complete blank. I'd assume someone like Starmer as most popular but he's obviously famous, as would be a bizarre outside shot like David Miliband.
    Does not famous there mean the person is not famous? I read it as meaning most popular, not the most famous. Which is why I went with Chaos with Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Yes.

Really? All the SNPs are good people? Not one rotter in 35 of them? Forgive me for thinking that seems statistically improbable.
    Come on, Angus MacNeil is a bit of a fud.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Sorry, I usually post from my phone so the grammar gets a bit wrong.

This is the most *popular* "Labour politician" according to YouGov. They also rank them by fame - he is not the most famous.

The answer is one Ed Balls.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Yes.

Not all great but no rotters, given there are 600 rotters then statistically they must all be angels
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

I've no idea if he's a nice chap or not, but it wasn't a very plausible explanation of that anecdote!

Knowing you are fond of him, and I know you've defended him on the expenses issue before, it wasn't you who made sure the summary of his wikipedia page was relatively kind?

he became one of the most prominent illustrations used by the media to portray the extent of the parliamentary expenses scandal, although it later emerged that Hogg had been encouraged by the House of Commons Fees Office (Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority's precursor) to submit equivalent en bloc expenses "so as to reduce admin"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Hogg
  • Options
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Freggles said:

This is the most *popular* "Labour politician" according to YouGov. They also rank them by fame - he is not the most famous.

Easier to be popular when you're more famous for being on Strictly than for screwing up policies.
  • Options

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Yes.

Come on, Angus MacNeil is a bit of a fud.
    Only if not compared to the Westminster competition, in the round yes but the bar is so low he is almost a good guy against the divvies.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Charles said:

To be fair I've no other unpleasant impression of him - perhaps he was joking or just had an off-day.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

I've no idea if he's a nice chap or not, but it wasn't a very plausible explanation of that anecdote!

Knowing you are fond of him, and I know you've defended him on the expenses issue before, it wasn't you who made sure the summary of his wikipedia page was relatively kind?

he became one of the most prominent illustrations used by the media to portray the extent of the parliamentary expenses scandal, although it later emerged that Hogg had been encouraged by the House of Commons Fees Office (Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority's precursor) to submit equivalent en bloc expenses "so as to reduce admin"

The old , "I was forced to claim for my duck house and myriad other fantasy expenses, paperclips , etc", I really did not stick my great snout deep in the trough and suck the public purse dry
  • Options
    The US Embassy told the British government the suspect in a crash which killed Harry Dunn would be leaving the UK, the foreign secretary has said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50129077
  • Options

The US Embassy told the British government the suspect in a crash which killed Harry Dunn would be leaving the UK, the foreign secretary has said.

unbelievable , did nothing and then did not even let family know and finally tell them via parliament, bunch of useless gits, kowtowing to Washington.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Interesting lack of a citation after that summary.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson is expected to abandon Brexit legislation in Parliament rather than accept a customs union or second referendum, rebel MPs were warned on Monday night.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/21/boris-johnson-could-scrap-brexit-deal-john-bercow-blocks-vote/
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited October 2019
    Foxy said:

Is he jewish? He's my MP and I'd never even thought about religion. Why did it occur to you?
  • Options

Boris Johnson is expected to abandon Brexit legislation in Parliament rather than accept a customs union or second referendum, rebel MPs were warned on Monday night.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/21/boris-johnson-could-scrap-brexit-deal-john-bercow-blocks-vote/

hopefully they call his bluff
  • Options

If you consider reflexively saying NO! to everything before it's even published not to be bottlenecking then sure.

It's easy to be quick if you don't need to think about what is proposed and are prepared to just immediately denounce it.

Which includes denouncing every single option proposed by MPs in indicative votes too not just the governments proposals.

The main opposition have been reflexively saying no to everything (actually that's not true, they've been having careful considered discussions about the best justification for saying no) but that's normal and traditional, and it's definitely not true of a majority in parliament.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Yes.

This would be the good guy who was formally Committee Secretary of the Immigration and Repatriation Committee of the Monday Club and stood for the National Executive on a policy of assisted repatriation.

Basically his politics were aligned with that of the BNP.

And yet apparently his religion is the reason we are all so hard on him.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

unbelievable , did nothing and then did not even let family know and finally tell them via parliament, bunch of useless gits, kowtowing to Washington.
    Or to you know ... international law. Bloody useless gits observing the Vienna Convention, why didn't they just whip up a mob instead?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Ed Balls is a human being. It comes over in almost everything he does. It is a great shame there are not more like him both in the Labour party and in Parliament as a whole.

He is one Labour MP I would be very glad to see get re-elected if a seat became available.
  • Options

Of course he would, he'd lose the votes to get it through if the first succeeded (as many who back it won't back the bill), and would not dare a referendum if the second succeeded.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Foxy said:

Is he jewish? He's my MP and I'd never even thought about religion. Why did it occur to you?
    Bloody ironic in that foxy never could see it in Labour

• Options

The main opposition have been reflexively saying no to everything (actually that's not true, they've been having careful considered discussions about the best justification for saying no) but that's normal and traditional, and it's definitely not true of a majority in parliament.
    It's true of the main opposition as you said. Plus the third, fourth and fifth largest opposition parties (including the governments confidence and supply "partners"). Grieve and a few other former Tories have said they wouldn't accept any form of Brexit.

So that just leaves current Tories and a few independents basically left.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Or to you know ... international law. Bloody useless gits observing the Vienna Convention, why didn't they just whip up a mob instead?
    Would it have been too much for someone in government to let the family know privately, explain the reasons why, just show some basic human decency and kindness?

There is quite a gap between doing nothing and whipping up a mob. Most people are able to behave in that gap like decent human beings with a bit of empathy for those suffering one of the worst losses that can ever befall parents.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options

Foxy said:

I also had no idea. And I don't think it is particularly relevant.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Would it have been too much for someone in government to let the family know privately, explain the reasons why, just show some basic human decency and kindness?

There is quite a gap between doing nothing and whipping up a mob. Most people are able to behave in that gap like decent human beings with a bit of empathy for those suffering one of the worst losses that can ever befall parents.
    Empathy absolutely. And yes if I was making the decision I'd think best the family hear it directly ... after it's done. I don't see any empathetic reason to say beforehand. Worst case it encourages vigilantism, best case it causes more anguish and frustration to be left impotent while it's done.
  • Options
    RobD said:

New thread

Whatever,
  • Options

It's true of the main opposition as you said. Plus the third, fourth and fifth largest opposition parties (including the governments confidence and supply "partners"). Grieve and a few other former Tories have said they wouldn't accept any form of Brexit.

So that just leaves current Tories and a few independents basically left.
    No, you could almost definitely have passed softer PD + referendum if the government had whipped for it, and you can probably also pass border-in-Irish-sea, as we're about to see. And that's without the government really negotiating with anyone except its own party and the DUP.

It's true that none of the indicative votes passed but generally you don't pass things in the British system on free votes. You pass things by the government working out a coalition (usually as a stable majority but not always) then trading, cajoling, bribing and blackmailing it to a majority vote. Where TMay got stuck was that her internal position was too weak to either take her own party fully with her or look outside her coalition.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

To be fair most MPs are perfectly nice, on all wings of Parliament. I have a host of pleasant encounters to remember, including this embarrassing moment when I was no longer an MP but running a charity stand at the Sinn Fein conference (the charity was trying out being represented at all the NI conferences). After a while I go on autopilot at these things and no longer really look at anyone.

Unknown man: Hello, how are you doing?
    Me: (absent-mindedly) Hello. May I give you a leaflet about our work?
    Woman beside him: Don't you know who this is?
    Me: Er... (Gosh, he does look familiar...oh, no, maybe it's...)
    Woman (furiously): It's Martin McGuinness, you're exhibiting at a Sinn Fein conference and you don't even know...
    Me: (blush) Of course. I'm so sorry!
    McGuinness: Ah, don't worry, man, ye canna remember everyone, I'm always having trouble like that...

Surely he could have found someone to tip you off twenty minutes beforehand with a codeword?
This discussion has been closed.