Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mayor Pete’s The One To Beat

Comments

• Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    glw said:

Noo said:

Nigelb said:

Another Brexit dividend...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50044659
    The first figures have emerged demonstrating that Brexit uncertainty has adversely affected UK research.
    They show Britain's annual share of EU research funding has fallen by nearly a third since 2015.
    The analysis by the Royal Society suggests scientists are choosing not to work in Britain, with a 35% drop in those coming to the UK via EU schemes.
    Its president, Venki Ramakrishnan, said scientists did not want to "gamble with their careers" by working in the UK.
    He explained: "They have no sense of whether the UK will be willing and able to maintain its global scientific leadership. UK science has also missed out on around [£440m] a year because of the uncertainty around Brexit....

This is exactly what I was warning about a few weeks ago, and was met with stupid incredulity from a couple of the more cultlike Brexists on here.
    Turns out the effects are worse and sooner than I even guessed.
    UK government funding of science, engineering, and technology research has been going up steadily over the last few years. We may end up with fewer scientists from the EU coming here, but there's no real sign of any wider decline in the sector, quite the opposite in fact.
    Must I go through this again?
    If hiring becomes problematic -- and it is already -- then you damage the efficacy of investment. Simply put, you have to be able to hire to put any money to good use. Money doesn't do research, researchers do. And top researchers bring money with them.
    Now the figures are coming through and look!, I was right.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    edited October 2019
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

On topic:

I'm nicely green on Mayor Pete but a word of caution - when I discussed this some time ago with an American friend of mine he had a) never heard of Mayor Pete; and b) said with some confidence that Warren would get the Dem nomination.

Another note of caution - he's still around 0% in South Carolina polling.
    Because he has 0% support from black voters. Yeah he can do well in Iowa and New Hampshire but without non white support he will tank in South Carolina and Nevada and it will be an uphill battle from there.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    I'm very green on President elect Warren but in line with header I will place a saver on Pete. Can't see it personally but should be opportunities to lay back post Iowa.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

@HYUFD where are you atm btw? Still in NI?

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    On the way to Giant's Causeway
    try Bushmills for lunch or the shack on Portstewart Strand
    I might go to NI for a hol, sounds and looks really good on the interweb.
    :smiley:
    Youd better like Game of Thrones, you cant escape it atm :smile:

hundreds of Us and asian visitors wearing wolf skin capes !
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    Many prefer Portstewart to Portrush. Bushmills definitely has a highlight and you can smell it as you enter ;)

Ballycastle is a nice stopping point and you can see how close Scotland is over the North Channel and then go down the Coast Road.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    Enjoy. If you get a moment around there, head over to Ballykelly and pop into the Droppin Well Memorial at the Ballykelly Church of Ireland.

I won't be as flippant as to say then head down the A1 to see the other end of the Province.
    Thanks will see if I have time
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    Do the Carrick-a-Rede bridge if it is still open at this time of year
    Will have a look
  • Options
    Is Boris Johnson really about to sign the surrender letter?

Isn’t he going to die in a ditch first?

Going forward I’m never going to link to that Sion Simon article but use this one instead.

https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1171157226171621376?s=21
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    Will keep an eye out
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    A most interesting place. Don't though take back the message to Boris that because, back in the age of legends, a couple of giants could build a link between Ireland and Scotland it's practicable to build a bridge today!
    They were geographically challenged. The Causeway emerged around Staffa in the Hebrides and there are no roads in that neck of the woods....

Still, such a route would avoid the Boom! Boom! of Beaufort's Dyke and an estimated million tonnes of exploded ordanance dumped in there.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Going forward I’m never going to link to that Sion Simon article but use this one instead.

Boris will aim to get a Deal done by Saturday, if not he will sabotage extension, including sending 2 letters one staying Parliament has asked for an extension the other he personally opposes an extension.

We know the French will likely veto further extension anyway without a GE or EUref2
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

Boris will aim to get a Deal done by Saturday, if not he will sabotage extension, including sending 2 letters one staying Parliament has asked for an extension the other he personally opposes an extension.

We know the French will likely veto further extension anyway without a GE or EUref2
    Then will find himself subject to court actions for frustrating the objectives of the Benn bill.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    HYUFD said:
    I can't help but wonder whether that has changed over the last 39 and a bit months, but I suspect that it wasn't thought worth asking earlier in that period.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    It has come to something in Britain that a Cabinet Minister has to confirm that the PM will comply with the law and this is news worth reporting.
    You'd rather he hadn't answered the question?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    Youd better like Game of Thrones, you cant escape it atm :smile:

hundreds of Us and asian visitors wearing wolf skin capes !
    That is what they always wear in Ballymoney and Armoy. As for Cullybackey.... :D:D
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    A most interesting place. Don't though take back the message to Boris that because, back in the age of legends, a couple of giants could build a link between Ireland and Scotland it's practicable to build a bridge today!
    They were geographically challenged. The Causeway emerged around Staffa in the Hebrides and there are no roads in that neck of the woods....

Still, such a route would avoid the Boom! Boom! of Beaufort's Dyke and an estimated million tonnes of exploded ordanance dumped in there.
    My father spent the summer and autumn of 1945 dumping German ordnance stored in Denmark into the Skagerrak or Kattegat. Stationed IIRC at Aalborg.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Looks like The Clown has caved in: N Ireland to remain in the Single Market. The DUP are going to go mental. Or rather, even more mental.

And Spain probably going to imposes Direct Rule in Catalonia.

Would all these old imperial powers not be better off just letting the remaining bits of empire go? Better being friendly neighbours than grumpy lodgers.

Ah, that lazy imperial suggestion crops up. NI will probably have a majority for reunification soon, but up to now has not wanted to be 'let go'. What, the UK should split itself up even when the bit split off didnt want to be? Not caring what the locals want sounds awfully imperial of you, if trends are right they will leave in good time by their choice, not be 'let go'.
    Indeed, handing over the Falklands to Argentina, Gibraltar to Spain and Northern Ireland to the Republic against the wishes of the population is not a good luck. Indeed as we now see handing over Hong Kong to China against the wishes of the locals has not turned out that great either (though realistically we could not hold off Beijing).

Indeed even in Scotland and Catalonia at least half the population do not want independence
    "COULD NOT HOLD OFF BEIJING"?????

Where's your ambition, man?
    Your typical cowardly bully, he shows perfectly the caliber of the Tories and Westminster in general. Cowardly bullies, oppress the little boys and lick the butts of the big boys.
    No, just realistic.

When we had the full British Empire and India we might have held off China (and it was a Labour government which gave India independence).

Now we can still hold off most nations but no longer the USA, China and probably not Russia either on our own
    What about THE EU?

Given the circs an' all, might be important to know. What's your feeling?
    The EU does not spend enough on defence, it is an economic superpower not a military one and I doubt even Juncker would invade to stop Brexit
    Understand. But we weren't talking about specific reasons for invasion. You reckon we could hold off everyone apart from the USA, China and Russia (probably). What about the EU?
    You could add Turkey, Iran, North Korea and Israel without even thinking
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1184407182290362368

Give them beer, lots of beer, and sandwiches.

Just like the 1970s with the unions.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    It's very good for riding a motorbike extremely fast in my experience. I did the NW200 "triangle" on my MV a few years and encountered a few other like minded lunatics which resulted in a very spirited ride toward Portrush.

Breaking the speed limit (by as great a margin as possible) is an authentic act of revolutionary defiance against the state. It's the duty of every anarchist.
  • Options

Are not the DUP, as Presbyterians or similar, teetotallers? I don't think orange juice or tea are as compelling.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?
    It's very good for riding a motorbike extremely fast in my experience. I did the NW200 "triangle" on my MV a few years and encountered a few other like minded lunatics which resulted in a very spirited ride toward Portrush.

Breaking the speed limit (by as great a margin as possible) is an authentic act of revolutionary defiance against the state. It's the duty of every anarchist.
    Certainly an original CPV...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    TOPPING said:

Logistically difficult???? You do realise we are able to blockade Spain if we wanted to so I can't see how a resupply of Kowloon/HK Island would pose too much of a problem.

Actually, it's interesting. The residual area of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon is around 88 sq km which is still much larger than the Vatican or Monaco and larger even than San Marino (61 sq km).

So Hong Kong minus the New Territories could have continued as a microstate in theory but I can't imagine there wouldn't have been huge disruption.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn doesn't think it would be fair to have an election until the Tories have a 20-point lead in the opinion polls. Anything less than that would be unjust given the inherent advantages he possesses in campaigning ability and political ideology.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    This is the big question which will determine GE2019(ish).

I tend to agree with Dan on what SHOULD happen.

But it will be interesting to see the response Farage gets in a campaign... especially if he recruits a few kicked out from the Francois-Paterson wing of the Tories.

And I think there's a significantly greater than zero chance that Boris pulls the plug on a deal if he's not confident of getting it through an MV (leaving him free to campaign in a GE for something harder without pesky remainers holding him back).
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

Are not the DUP, as Presbyterians or similar, teetotallers? I don't think orange juice or tea are as compelling.
    No.

Bit early for a deal for the DUP - take it down to the final hours of October to squeeze out the final crumbs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    The poll was the referendum. Its the only poll that counts...
    ... Counted. That was over three years ago and it's not been 'the easiest ever. There are no 'sunlit uplands'. It's time to ask again.
    Why? Only because remain lost.

The vote was the vote was the vote.

Your argument is sophistry and should (and will) be ignored.

And as i repeat I voted remain.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited October 2019

Remainers extremists/les indecideds going to point and laugh forever as we Leave with a deal no doubt

Like when the Nigerian prince asks you to send 10k via Western Union and you show him what a mug he is by only sending five
  • Options
    Great result for the Lib Dems but where did the other 20% go?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

But it will be interesting to see the response Farage gets in a campaign... especially if he recruits a few kicked out from the Francois-Paterson wing of the Tories.

And I think there's a significantly greater than zero chance that Boris pulls the plug on a deal if he's not confident of getting it through an MV (leaving him free to campaign in a GE for something harder without pesky remainers holding him back).
    The responses are illuminating
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    I bet putting Cummings and Arlene in the same room can lead to fireworks. :D
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?

Though (...appealing to your inner Shimano...) this does mean that a lot of NI roads are really terrible for cycling. Over towards Derry it's genuinely lovely, but the "Lower Bann Cycleway" is one of the worst routes I've ridden in the British Isles.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Boris with a deal is worse for Boris than Boris without a deal.

Without a deal Boris can still promise the world to any and all voters who all have their own unicorn version of Brexit.

With a deal Boris has something that will be far too hard for those wanting a Norway type deal yet far too soft for those wanting a Canada ---- deal.

So once Boris has a deal he's going to be hit from all sides especially as it looks like the deal will be almost identical to the one he criticised last year

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1184396115178852352
  • Options
    stodge said:

TOPPING said:

Logistically difficult???? You do realise we are able to blockade Spain if we wanted to so I can't see how a resupply of Kowloon/HK Island would pose too much of a problem.

Actually, it's interesting. The residual area of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon is around 88 sq km which is still much larger than the Vatican or Monaco and larger even than San Marino (61 sq km).

So Hong Kong minus the New Territories could have continued as a microstate in theory but I can't imagine there wouldn't have been huge disruption.
    The obvious democratic alternative would have been to hold a referendum in Hong Kong on their post-colonial status: Independence or Union with the PRC.

However, that ran the risk of provoking an invasion from China and was contrary to British instincts to make decisions for Hong Kong (progress to allow democratic self-governance was shamefully slow under British colonial rule).

It's possible that with a US security guarantee that Independence would have been viable.

As it is, the PRC have destroyed the one country/two systems compromise and I can't see what saves Hong Kong from a very violent crackdown.
  • Options

I'm presuming DK, but the Standard report isn't illuminating: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/the-londoner-berger-on-course-to-take-finchley-a4262881.html
  • Options
    isam said:

Remainers extremists/les indecideds going to point and laugh forever as we Leave with a deal no doubt

Like when the Nigerian prince asks you to send 10k via Western Union and you show him what a mug he is by only sending five
    Whatever.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Yes until Friday
    where are you now?

My father spent the summer and autumn of 1945 dumping German ordnance stored in Denmark into the Skagerrak or Kattegat. Stationed IIRC at Aalborg.
    They should have towed all this stuff out into the North Atlantic and set it off.

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2013-09-21/history-of-weapons-dumped-off-the-coast-of-galloway/

I am sure it is no better in Denmark. The water is shallower there. At least Beaufort's Dyke is a 1,000 feet deep in places.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Wasn't the issue that Lesser HK's water supply depends entirely on Greater HK?
  • Options
    Makes a mockery of tactical voting advice.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

The poll appears to have been commissioned by the Lib Dems so I wonder what the wording was.
  • Options
    I hate to be a spoilsport but Survation constituency polls have been in the past as accurate as an American war film.

Both the Lib Dems and UKIP used Survation at GE2015 and the reality didn't meet the polling expectation.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1184415037768818688

I hope the argument used is that they need the weekend to actually read the document rather than voting for it based on inaccurate executive summaries.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    eek said:

Without a deal Boris can still promise the world to any and all voters who all have their own unicorn version of Brexit.

With a deal Boris has something that will be far too hard for those wanting a Norway type deal yet far too soft for those wanting a Canada ---- deal.

So once Boris has a deal he's going to be hit from all sides especially as it looks like the deal will be almost identical to the one he criticised last year

As long as Boris has a Deal where GB leaves the backstop it will be enough for most Leavers and even some moderate Remainers even if the DUP and diehard Remainers and the Brexit Party and a few ERG are still unhappy
  • Options
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    eek said:

I think you're wrong. Many voters don't care what form Brexit takes. They'll reward whoever gets us out. As was shown by the initial rise of the Brexit Party, their patience has run thin, and I'm sure that if Boris blunders, some of those who currently trust him will change their mind.
  • Options
    That's fantastic news. If any defector deserves to be reelected it's Luciana. I'd assumed people would react negatively to her parachuting in but it seems the opposite. Hopefully serious ground resources can now be directed there.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Even with Yougov the LDs now appear to be clearly slipping back to third place.
  • Options
    This was also a Labour seat from 1997 to 2010, Labour now 3rd
  • Options

stodge said:

TOPPING said:

The obvious democratic alternative would have been to hold a referendum in Hong Kong on their post-colonial status: Independence or Union with the PRC.

However, that ran the risk of provoking an invasion from China and was contrary to British instincts to make decisions for Hong Kong (progress to allow democratic self-governance was shamefully slow under British colonial rule).

It's possible that with a US security guarantee that Independence would have been viable.

As it is, the PRC have destroyed the one country/two systems compromise and I can't see what saves Hong Kong from a very violent crackdown.
    Wasn't there a huge problem with water supply, without Kowloon etc? I can't see destination being anywhere near adequate for that population.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Dadge said:

eek said:

I think you're wrong. Many voters don't care what form Brexit takes. They'll reward whoever gets us out. As was shown by the initial rise of the Brexit Party, their patience has run thin, and I'm sure that if Boris blunders, some of those who currently trust him will change their mind.
    Given the way she fought against a border down the Irish Sea, although obviously her 'friendship' with Arlene made a difference, I wonder if Mrs M will vote against a deal which means one!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    It could be a garbled version of the EU suggesting a repeat of the March 29th extension - an initial short extension to try and keep the pressure on and get the deal completed, followed by a longer extension if that doesn't succeed.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712

Between BXP, Greens and others?
  • Options

stodge said:

TOPPING said:

We are of course midway through the "Fifty Years with no change" period. As to the options you describe, there is no way the PRC would have tolerated any deviation from the return as part of sovereign Chinese territory. And I think the US was and is far too preoccupied with Taiwan's status to be getting involved in a bid to overturn a legal contract elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

stodge said:

TOPPING said:

Wasn't there a huge problem with water supply, without Kowloon etc? I can't see destination being anywhere near adequate for that population.
    Sure, the idea would have been for the whole of Hong Kong, including the New Territories, to have decided their future.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    GIN1138 said:
    What would be the point of the latter?
    Say there's a General Election. A change of government results and they want to renegotiate the WA or put it to referendum. But time runs out. Should they then ask for another extension?
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    So basically if a method of potentially enabling NI to have “consent” can be agreed then the deal is on. Isn’t about money.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

GIN1138 said:
    It could be a garbled version of the EU suggesting a repeat of the March 29th extension - an initial short extension to try and keep the pressure on and get the deal completed, followed by a longer extension if that doesn't succeed.
    UK Leavers: Take Back Control.

EU: Here is the date of your next GE.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Wasn't the issue that Lesser HK's water supply depends entirely on Greater HK?
    Details, details. We'll simply ship over enough water to satisfy their needs.
  • Options

Though (...appealing to your inner Shimano...) this does mean that a lot of NI roads are really terrible for cycling. Over towards Derry it's genuinely lovely, but the "Lower Bann Cycleway" is one of the worst routes I've ridden in the British Isles.

Yeah, I’ve done a few races in the 6 counties and the roads are just fucked - though not as bad as Brittany. I won one of those races when the six guys contesting the sprint in front of me crashed themselves out of podium contention and into hospital via a pothole the size of Ian Paisley Sr’s face.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    Say there's a General Election. A change of government results and they want to renegotiate the WA or put it to referendum. But time runs out. Should they then ask for another extension?
    Yes.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

So basically if a method of potentially enabling NI to have “consent” can be agreed then the deal is on. Isn’t about money.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    The only poll anyone should care about right now:

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1184148020348309504
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    GIN1138 said:

[Mindbleach]
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    DavidL said:

Its almost as if, if we could just get Brexit out of the way, there is a moderate centre right agenda that could be good for growth waiting to be picked up and implemented, isn't it?

Continuity Leave?

Do bugger all about the climate crisis, about the changing nature of work, about the rise of AI, about rebalancing income from capital to labour, about the UK's decrepit constitution, about widening inequality and falling social mobility, about the need for a radical reimagining of health and social care, about housing and planning, about the imbalanced economy and the pointlessness of small towns?

Sounds fab. If only someone had thought to try this for the last 40 years...

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like a few MPs are having a nice day out.

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1184359458966818817?s=19

Seems a point less trip, the EU will offer an extension if asked so theres no worries, it's in parliaments hands whether theres a deal to vote down or not.
    There was a Tory MP on Sky this morning, I think Mercer who was asked if we would leave on 31/10. He said he believed Johnson would have the UK out by that date because that’s what he promised and he has to deliver on his promise. Make of that what you will.
    'We will because we must' is what I make of it, that is to say, nonsense.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    Presumably:

1. If Con won with a majority the Boris/EU deal would pass and that would be that.

2. If Labour won a majority there would have to be a long extension followed by another negotiation and a referendum.

3. If Lib-Dems won a majority they'd just revoke and the past three and half years would be written off as dream like Season 9 of Dallas.

4. If no one wins a majority we carry on going round and round in circles. #RinseRepeat
  • Options
    100% incorrect.

It is only having a deadline that is concentrating everyone's minds and forcing people to make compromises.

If Boris lets the date slip then everyone will get back onto their respective high horses insisting on a deal that is 100% to their liking and refusing to compromise again.

Nobody who thinks the date is a bad idea seems to think how to force people to face reality and make compromises without the date set.
  • Options

nico67 said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Interesting but it’s not asking the question on a second vote . Basically it’s asking if the ref result should be honoured . I think Brexit sucks but think the UK needs to leave now in an orderly way with a deal .

If there was a second vote I’d vote Remain though .
    Everyone's Brexit preference is the same: for the rest of the country to come to its senses at last and agree with me.
    Well yes. But it's different with me as I am right.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Interesting but it’s not asking the question on a second vote . Basically it’s asking if the ref result should be honoured . I think Brexit sucks but think the UK needs to leave now in an orderly way with a deal .

If there was a second vote I’d vote Remain though .
    Everyone's Brexit preference is the same: for the rest of the country to come to its senses at last and agree with me.
    Well yes. But it's different with me as I am right.
    Well said, I am right I completely agree.
  • Options
    stodge said:

TOPPING said:

I thought the point was thst much of the infrastructure to support Hong Kong was in the New Territories and there was no guarantee that they woukd be secure post hand back.
  • Options

On this deal.

Every single time PB gets over excited.

So, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Everyone gets over excited and optimistic. The cycle broke me some time ago and now I just sigh when a breakthrough, in any direction, is mooted.

Onr day perhaps.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    North Antrim is an area I can comment on with some borrowed local knowledge.

1) The cheapest way to see the Giant's Causeway if you're driving is to get National Trust membership.
    2) Ballintoy harbour is beautiful and worth a look even if you're not interested in Game Of Thrones. The little shop, however, serves the worst cup of coffee in the nation.
    3) Portstewart is much nicer than Portrush. Have an ice cream. Connoisseurs prefer Roughan's to Morelli's. Or have a cake. There are endless good cafes on the promenade.
    4) As @Alanbrooke suggests, Harry's Shack on Portstewart Strand is great for lunch.
    5) Dunluce Castle is well worth a look if it's dry.
    6) The East Antrim coast, the Glens of Antrim, is one of the finest coastlines to drive along in the whole of the UK.
    7) The Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge is a rite of passage for Northern Irish schoolchildren (adults scoff that it's far easier than it used to be). I have never, however, seen my other half attempt it.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

GIN1138 said:

[Mindbleach]
    Like watching Tony Robinson fuck Steve Bruce in a wig.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1184348458616008704?s=21

I read this the other way around. Midnight Brussels time has not been reached. A deal of some sort will be renegotiated now, I expect.

Whether it will be saleable is another matter.

1. It will involve MASSIVE climb-down by shagger
    2. It will involve MASSIVE hypocrisy by ERG members who back it
    3. Brexiteers in the country will then turn Johnson's language back onto him and the Tories. SURRENDER! TRAITORS!
    The DUP’s reaction will be critical. They are under pressure too. There is no shortage of Northern Irish politicians getting ready to accuse them of betrayal too.

It will be nothing moiney cannot solve. Why send £350 million a week to Brussels when it can be spent on bribing the DUP instead??!!

I don't think that true. While the DUP love the pork barrel, the idea that everyone's principles are for sale is a particularly Tory vice, as we see with the Magic Money Tree promises.

We will see. I suspect that the DUP sign-off will be accompanied by a hell of a lot of cash!

You can bet on it , they are worse than the Lib Dems.
    I didnt know you thought that possible!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:
    Brexit has been golddust for the SNP.

Interesting that Yes to Independence which lost and Remain in the referendum which won were almost identical numbers

Scotland EU Referendum:
    Remain 1,661,191
    Leave 1,018,322

Scotland Indendence Referendum
    Yes 1,617,989
    No 2,001,926

Nearly a million Scots who voted in the independence referendum didn't vote in the EU referendum. Fascinating and major difference, considering people claim Scotland cares so much about EU membership the reality seems to be different. Had those million missing voters voted Remain that would nearly have closed the UK-wide gap.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Tabman said:

GIN1138 said:

[Mindbleach]
    Like watching Tony Robinson fuck Steve Bruce in a wig.
    Its Steve Bruce wearing the wig, right?

• Options

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Seems a point less trip, the EU will offer an extension if asked so theres no worries, it's in parliaments hands whether theres a deal to vote down or not.
    You just haven't got this whole pointless gesture thing, have you?
    Grieve and co have played a much more astute game than Cummings.
    Grieve has had it easy, with 400 MPs quietly (or otherwise) urging him on - and determinedly blocking off any route to the voters.

Whether that plays well long term has yet to be seen. If we still end up with Brexit and a House shorn of its Europhile MPs, some may think Cummings has had the last laugh.....
    Antoinette Sandbach has been overwhelmingly deselected by her consituency in her safe seat of Eddisbury
    Talking of whom:

https://twitter.com/Sandbach/status/1184371828980178944

NB Antoinette Sandbach voted for Theresa May's deal at every opportunity.
    Indeed but not anymore hence her de-selection

It does seem a big price to pay but she is one of several who will see their seats won by anti EU conservatives, unfortunately
    In the looking glass world of Leavers, actually voting for Brexit at every opportunity is evidence that an MP is opposed to Brexit.
    Very true, and very crazy
  • Options

North Antrim is an area I can comment on with some borrowed local knowledge.

1) The cheapest way to see the Giant's Causeway if you're driving is to get National Trust membership.
    2) Ballintoy harbour is beautiful and worth a look even if you're not interested in Game Of Thrones. The little shop, however, serves the worst cup of coffee in the nation.
    3) Portstewart is much nicer than Portrush. Have an ice cream. Connoisseurs prefer Roughan's to Morelli's. Or have a cake. There are endless good cafes on the promenade.
    4) As @Alanbrooke suggests, Harry's Shack on Portstewart Strand is great for lunch.
    5) Dunluce Castle is well worth a look if it's dry.
    6) The East Antrim coast, the Glens of Antrim, is one of the finest coastlines to drive along in the whole of the UK.
    7) The Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge is a rite of passage for Northern Irish schoolchildren (adults scoff that it's far easier than it used to be). I have never, however, seen my other half attempt it.

Thanks and will try most of that (probably have not got time to go to the castle though).

Am going with my parents who fortunately are National Trust members
  • Options

stodge said:

TOPPING said:

I thought the point was thst much of the infrastructure to support Hong Kong was in the New Territories and there was no guarantee that they woukd be secure post hand back.
    Plus the Vatican is surrounded by a friendly state that protects and virtually worships it.

Residual Hong Kong would have been surrounded by a hostile state that would have been seeking to gain that territory.

Realpolitik means there was no choice.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

You just haven't got this whole pointless gesture thing, have you?
    Grieve and co have played a much more astute game than Cummings.
    Grieve has had it easy, with 400 MPs quietly (or otherwise) urging him on - and determinedly blocking off any route to the voters.

Whether that plays well long term has yet to be seen. If we still end up with Brexit and a House shorn of its Europhile MPs, some may think Cummings has had the last laugh.....
    Antoinette Sandbach has been overwhelmingly deselected by her consituency in her safe seat of Eddisbury
    Talking of whom:

https://twitter.com/Sandbach/status/1184371828980178944

NB Antoinette Sandbach voted for Theresa May's deal at every opportunity.
    Indeed but not anymore hence her de-selection

It does seem a big price to pay but she is one of several who will see their seats won by anti EU conservatives, unfortunately
    In the looking glass world of Leavers, actually voting for Brexit at every opportunity is evidence that an MP is opposed to Brexit.
    Very true, and very crazy
    It's interesting that, since the referendum, the years of progress at not seeing people who share one characteristic as a homogenous mass has been thrown away, seemingly by the people who argued for less broad brush thinking themselves.
  • Options

100% incorrect.

It is only having a deadline that is concentrating everyone's minds and forcing people to make compromises.

If Boris lets the date slip then everyone will get back onto their respective high horses insisting on a deal that is 100% to their liking and refusing to compromise again.

Nobody who thinks the date is a bad idea seems to think how to force people to face reality and make compromises without the date set.
    I mean, the logic here makes sense; the self imposed deadline puts Johnson up against a wall. He can't No Deal without Parliamentary consent, and he doesn't want to extend, and he doesn't want to break the law. So he has to have a deal to show Parliament asap. The EU know this, so can squeeze him harder than he can squeeze them, especially since many citizens of EU members states don't think the EU should give us shit.
  • Options
    MuninMunin Posts: 7
    Reposting a question from another thread since the discussion has moved on:

A previous post showed just how bad betting markets have been at predicting important political events, like Trump and Brexit.
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/09/10/when-the-betting-markets-got-it-wrong/

Is there any solid evidence on the predictive power of political betting markets?
  • Options
    In response to peaceful environmental protests, we go full on police state:

https://twitter.com/alexjarmitage/status/1184086007379103744
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:
    Brexit has been golddust for the SNP.

Interesting that Yes to Independence which lost and Remain in the referendum which won were almost identical numbers

Scotland EU Referendum:
    Remain 1,661,191
    Leave 1,018,322

Scotland Indendence Referendum
    Yes 1,617,989
    No 2,001,926

Nearly a million Scots who voted in the independence referendum didn't vote in the EU referendum. Fascinating and major difference, considering people claim Scotland cares so much about EU membership the reality seems to be different. Had those million missing voters voted Remain that would nearly have closed the UK-wide gap.
    Interesting, but numbers and actual people are, of course, not the same. How many people have died or otherwise left the Scots electoral registers, in the intervening period, and how many people have joined?
This discussion has been closed.