Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tyranny of Low Expectations

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257

https://twitter.com/mutludc/status/1183454809896173568

"We are now standing with our chests bare to face the Turkish knives."

Heartbreaking.

Also an exceptionally well-written statement of their position.
    Shame Trump can't read anything longer than a golf score card.
  • Options

BBC News - SNP formally backs decriminalisation of drugs
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50036173

Drugs policy is reserved to Westminster.
    It is entirely typical of the SNP to have liberal policies on the things they don't control but to have authoritarian policies on the things they do.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,021
    Danny565 said:

https://twitter.com/sommervilletv/status/1183486209995296769

I hope to God they impeach the SOB, but if not then take him down in the worst loss in US presidential history.

Fox News poll the other day had Trump losing to all of Biden, Warren and Sanders by the biggest landslide since the 1980s :D
    IBID/TIPP on Monday gives Warren just a 2% lead over Trump, no higher than the Hillary popular vote lead in 2016
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BBC News reports the Kurds have agreed an alliance with the Syrian Government against the Turks and Syrian government forces are now heading for Northern Syria

Your man Trump is a disaster of untold dimensions
    Did Trump invade Iraq? No he opposed the war.

Did Trump back rebel forces against Assad in Syria? No.

Trump is just doing what the left wanted the USA to do a decade ago and withdrawing US troops from the Middle East
    You are just as bad as Trump but that does not surprise me.

Acting as his apologist is consistent with your attitudes
  • Options

Trump is an abomination to mankind

I despair tonight for so many, especially those in the middle east

Our best friend, of course.

No friend of mine.
  • Options

Can anybody explain why the hong kong protestors smash up the metro stations?

Because they are seen as symbols of the government. Private property is very deliberately not being targeted.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

The main story on the BBC is that US forces are in retreat in the face of advancing Turkish forces.

That would be Turkey, NATO ally.

Allegedly Syria has agreed to assist the Kurds fight off Turkey.

Which I assume means Russia is on board
    This is a complete disaster . Trumps action is one of the worst in recent history , utterly despicable and a shameful betrayal of the Kurds who have been instrumental in defeating ISIS.

GOP: hang your heads in utter shame.
    I’ve been ranting about this for days. It might well be the end of Trump, even as he survives everything else.

He has brought shame on the American military, and dishonored America itself, his patriotic base will hate this.
    They won't , they don't want any more body bags of American servicemen coming from the Middle East and given the British have withdrawn forces from Iraq and Syria we can hardly criticise
    Dear me is there anything Trump could do that you’d disagree with . Your attempts to spin this are now embarrassing.
    HY passed Embarrassment Checkpoint a long way back.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BBC News reports the Kurds have agreed an alliance with the Syrian Government against the Turks and Syrian government forces are now heading for Northern Syria

Did Trump invade Iraq? No, he opposed the war.

Trump is just doing what the left wanted the USA to do a decade ago and withdrawing US troops from the Middle East
    Evening Moscow. How's the weather?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    58% of US voters back Trump's statement 'It is time for America to withdraw from endless wars, many of them tribal' and 'only fight where it is to our benefit' just 20% disagree.

69% of Republicans and even 55% of Democrats and 50% of Independents agree with Trump's statement according to the poll past week.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/us_military/most_agree_with_trump_s_withdrawal_from_endless_wars
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And do you ever stop to even consider if that was a good thing to do in this situation or not? Rather than a political game about who said what when about a general position about intervention?

Obviously matters can be very complicated, and its why I am genuinely curious what policy benefits Trump expected for the United States through his action, and if he is happy with the outcome. Clearly I do not like Trump, but I am trying to be objective and to understand what he hoped to gain from this. If it was a cold, even brutal decision but in a ruthless way a practical benefit to his nation I can understand that, even if I do not approve of that decision. But I would like to understand it, and not see the question avoided because of either like or dislike of the man.

But to think the matter can just be covered by consideration of comments made a decade ago, even though repeated since, as if that absolves any need to reflect any further? Not for the first time I struggle to even comprehend why that is a defence.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Thanks to Cyclefree for an interesting expose - I must admit I was barely aware of the enquiry, even though I'm probably more than averagely interested in news, so the police may well have got away with downplaying it.

On another subject, is there anyone on the right here who might join me in feeling that radical changes to voting access - whether denying votes to people without photo ID or awarding votes to lots of additional foreign residents - is not what we need right now? We've had one of the most divisive periods in British history, with the unwritten Constitution tested to its absolute limits. Wouldn't a bit of stability in the very basic element of democracy - the voting system - be a good idea? We could come back to these proposals in a few years when tempers have cooled.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821
    Anyhoo...it's gone 6am in Tokyo and GBP has begun to rise, going up at about a third of a cent a hour. I'll see if it keeps going until about 2am and if it is, I'll start offloading Euros.

If there is anybody clever on PB who knows what GBP is going to do over the next 24 hrs, please let me know.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

FPT @Noo

Voting rights

Essentially the right to vote is the highest responsibility any citizen has in a society

It is jealously guarded because it allows an active voice in the future direction of that society. Clearly over time we have rightly understood that the franchise should be extended, from landowners to all adult men to all adults over 18.

The right to vote derives from a commitment to belong to and participate in that society and to give its wellbeing priority over any other. This is based on citizenship AND residency @edmundintokyo - although you may be a UK citizen, if you have been absent for an extended period of time you shouldn’t get to participate in day to day government (although there’s a case that you should be allowed to vote in referendums).

If someone is resident in the UK but has not opted to become a citizen then they implicitly have a higher loyalty to another entity and hence they can’t be “trusted” with setting the direction of the U.K. This is a choice they have - as a US citizen my wife doesn’t have the right to vote despite being here nearly 15 years. This is because in her mind she will always be an American not a Brit.

Hope that helps explain why it matters.

(Edit: of course in the case of the Irish and some other Commonwealth countries the U.K. has extended voting rights to them. That is a choice that Westminster has made in behalf of the demos)

With the current voting system most votes are worthless if that’s not changed this principled view of democracy is bollocks. It’s like telling people that we are taking back control from the EU it’s crap, your vote is worth nothing unless you live in one of a small minority of constituencies. This parading of the right to vote as some wonderful right is just crap, your vote doesn’t matter.
    You vote for a local representative for your community not for a government
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He may have but does he not feel he has any responsibility to sort out the shit he leaves behind? The answer is no,the world will judge him the US are too busy watching sports UT. to give a flying fuck.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821
    Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

FPT @Noo

Voting rights

Essentially the right to vote is the highest responsibility any citizen has in a society

It is jealously guarded because it allows an active voice in the future direction of that society. Clearly over time we have rightly understood that the franchise should be extended, from landowners to all adult men to all adults over 18.

The right to vote derives from a commitment to belong to and participate in that society and to give its wellbeing priority over any other. This is based on citizenship AND residency @edmundintokyo - although you may be a UK citizen, if you have been absent for an extended period of time you shouldn’t get to participate in day to day government (although there’s a case that you should be allowed to vote in referendums).

If someone is resident in the UK but has not opted to become a citizen then they implicitly have a higher loyalty to another entity and hence they can’t be “trusted” with setting the direction of the U.K. This is a choice they have - as a US citizen my wife doesn’t have the right to vote despite being here nearly 15 years. This is because in her mind she will always be an American not a Brit.

(Edit: of course in the case of the Irish and some other Commonwealth countries the U.K. has extended voting rights to them. That is a choice that Westminster has made in behalf of the demos)

With the current voting system most votes are worthless if that’s not changed this principled view of democracy is bollocks. It’s like telling people that we are taking back control from the EU it’s crap, your vote is worth nothing unless you live in one of a small minority of constituencies. This parading of the right to vote as some wonderful right is just crap, your vote doesn’t matter.
    You vote for a local representative for your community not for a government
    Indeed.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

He really is a disaster. All he cares about is his own pocket.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

O/T- today I walked past the birthplace of pbCOM....

Summertown?
    Lonsdale Road, Oxford to be precise. The only street in the country where there's an e-car charging point for every parking bay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

58% of US voters back Trump's statement 'It is time for America to withdraw from endless wars, many of them tribal' and 'only fight where it is to our benefit' just 20% disagree.

69% of Republicans and even 55% of Democrats and 50% of Independents agree with Trump's statement according to the poll past week.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/us_military/most_agree_with_trump_s_withdrawal_from_endless_wars

Not a loaded question, no siree.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited October 2019

https://twitter.com/mutludc/status/1183454809896173568

"We are now standing with our chests bare to face the Turkish knives."

Heartbreaking.

Also an exceptionally well-written statement of their position.
    It is.

I was struck by how his comments echo this of Buttigieg this weekend:
    We, however, are not asking for American soldiers to be in combat. We know that the United States is not the world police. But we do want the United States to acknowledge its important role in achieving a political solution for Syria. We are sure that Washington has sufficient leverage to mediate a sustainable peace between us and Turkey....

Buttigieg on CNN:
    Putting an end to endless war doesn't mean ending American engagement around the world,“
    “Often, it means making sure we do our part to stabilize or help keep the peace, so that full-blown conflicts don't break out. Look at what's happened here. This isn't even a strategy or a policy. It is the president systematically destroying American alliances and American values. And that makes America worse off.“

Meanwhile Trump congratulates himself for being “very smart”.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    It is saddening, what America has become, under Trump. This is not the proud warrior nation, free and brave, which stands by its allies.

Most Americans will be repelled by Trump’s behavior. He will either be impeached or he will lose badly in 2020. His Syria decision was an epochal error.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

The main story on the BBC is that US forces are in retreat in the face of advancing Turkish forces.

This is a complete disaster . Trumps action is one of the worst in recent history , utterly despicable and a shameful betrayal of the Kurds who have been instrumental in defeating ISIS.

I’ve been ranting about this for days. It might well be the end of Trump, even as he survives everything else.

He has brought shame on the American military, and dishonored America itself, his patriotic base will hate this.
    They won't , they don't want any more body bags of American servicemen coming from the Middle East and given the British have withdrawn forces from Iraq and Syria we can hardly criticise
    Dear me is there anything Trump could do that you’d disagree with . Your attempts to spin this are now embarrassing.
    No, who are embarrassing are the hypocritical left who a decade ago attacked Bush for invading the Middle East and are now attacking Trump for withdrawing from the Middle East
  • Options

Because they are seen as symbols of the government. Private property is very deliberately not being targeted.

The article linked by another poster does a good job explaining.

I only asked, because on the surface smashing up the public transportation system so people can't go about their everyday lives isn't normally a great way of getting the whole of society on your side....see XR blocking roads that mean people can't get to hospitals etc.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Charles said:

If someone is resident in the UK but has not opted to become a citizen then they implicitly have a higher loyalty to another entity and hence they can’t be “trusted” with setting the direction of the U.K.

This seems to be where the logic fails: any dual national, on the balance of probabilities, has a higher loyalty to one of their countries. But in any case it is not clear why multiple loyalties means one cannot be trusted, unless we accept that foreigners are bad to begin with. Finally, the critics seem to be correct that it is a policy to skew the electorate for political reasons.
    I hesitated over the word “trusted” because I thought it would be misunderstood as you have

The point is that if you are a citizen and resident you are part of the demos.

If you are a citizen but not resident you forfeit your right to vote for a local representative (but should be able to vote on matters of principle)

If you are resident but not a citizen you are not a member of the demos
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    HYUFD said:

Who doesn’t want to withdraw from ‘endless wars’??? Ludicrous polling.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You are confusing a desire to keep out of wars to walking away leaving a powder keg which has just exploded. There is not one good word for Trump, apart from yourself, on this forum
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

O/T- today I walked past the birthplace of pbCOM....

Summertown?
    Lonsdale Road, Oxford to be precise. The only street in the country where there's an e-car charging point for every parking bay.
    I don't think you could get any change from 1.5 mill on a semi there...it's a lovely road, and lots of nice remain notices in windows still....
  • Options

No friend of mine.

No, he is a revolting man: a corrupt liar and a racist who happily sided with dictators and abandon America’s allies to genocide, but the Tories have decided to hug him close and covet his friendship. It’s a glorious Brexit dividend.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Byronic said:

It is saddening, what America has become, under Trump. This is not the proud warrior nation, free and brave, which stands by its allies.

Most Americans will be repelled by Trump’s behavior. He will either be impeached or he will lose badly in 2020. His Syria decision was an epochal error.

Wrong.

58% of American voters back Trump's position, they are fed up of endless wars and the US always having to take the body bags and pay the defence bills.

We would also be complete hypocrites attacking Trump having withdrawn British forces from Syria and Iraq.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Was there ever a more leading poll question?
  • Options

No friend of mine.

No, he is a revolting man: a corrupt liar and a racist who happily sided with dictators and abandon America’s allies to genocide, but the Tories have decided to hug him close and covet his friendship. It’s a glorious Brexit dividend.

Not all tories
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

I'm surprised it's only 58%...the other 42% cheer on endless wars which costs billions and cause untold misery
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Thanks to Cyclefree for an interesting expose - I must admit I was barely aware of the enquiry, even though I'm probably more than averagely interested in news, so the police may well have got away with downplaying it.

On another subject, is there anyone on the right here who might join me in feeling that radical changes to voting access - whether denying votes to people without photo ID or awarding votes to lots of additional foreign residents - is not what we need right now? We've had one of the most divisive periods in British history, with the unwritten Constitution tested to its absolute limits. Wouldn't a bit of stability in the very basic element of democracy - the voting system - be a good idea? We could come back to these proposals in a few years when tempers have cooled.

You mean you want to put off the checking of voters right to vote at polling stations.. That's really democratic.

What you really mean is that you think its a bad idea as it will affect Labour a lot more than other parties.
  • Options
    Bad night for Orban in the Hungarian local elections. Fidedigna have lost control of Budapest and several other major cities for the first time since 2010.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

No, who are embarrassing are the hypocritical left who a decade ago attacked Bush for invading the Middle East and are now attacking Trump for withdrawing from the Middle East
    There's withdrawing... and there's fleeing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And do you ever stop to even consider if that was a good thing to do in this situation or not? Rather than a political game about who said what when about a general position about intervention?

Obviously matters can be very complicated, and its why I am genuinely curious what policy benefits Trump expected for the United States through his action, and if he is happy with the outcome. Clearly I do not like Trump, but I am trying to be objective and to understand what he hoped to gain from this. If it was a cold, even brutal decision but in a ruthless way a practical benefit to his nation I can understand that, even if I do not approve of that decision. But I would like to understand it, and not see the question avoided because of either like or dislike of the man.

But to think the matter can just be covered by consideration of comments made a decade ago, even though repeated since, as if that absolves any need to reflect any further? Not for the first time I struggle to even comprehend why that is a defence.
    Trump was elected to put America first not be the world's policeman and he is doing precisely that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

58% of American voters back Trump's position, they are fed up of endless wars and the US always having to take the body bags and pay the defence bills.

We would also be complete hypocrites attacking Trump having withdrawn British forces from Syria and Iraq.

You really are blinded by the dangerous and absurd Trump. What happened to the moderate remain voting conservative
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.......stop defending the plain stupid ffs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Except they weren’t fighting a war in northern Syria, so much as keeping the peace. US forces have taken a handful of casualties in the years they have been there.

Trump has greenlighted the Turkish invasion of northern Syria, enabled Turkish atrocities against Kurdish civilians, cemented Russian influence in the Eastern Mediterranean, and cast doubt in every alliance the US has.
    All without consulting either the military of State Department beforehand.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

Because if they vote for votes at 16 the whole bill will be canned/voted down by the government and they wont get the election they were voting for in the first place. That's why they dont attach ridiculous amendments to everything in sight, the bills dont get through.
    Any change made in haste like that btw would be very unlikely to be in place or make a difference to 'this' election

And now maybe you see the problem: the Tories' strategy for getting an election on their preferred terms is reliant on their opponents not doing things that harm the Tories' chances ("if the Lib Dems try to ensure more LibDem voters are enfranchised, then there won't be an election at all, mwahaha!!").

I would've thought the last few weeks would've shown that there's no reason on earth why the Tories' opponents would feel obliged to do things that are only in the Tories' interests, but it seems not!
    Can someone explain to me the root of the opposition to votes at 16? It seems a wise move to me, if we are to encourage young people’s interest in politics.
    Because they are kids
    People are adults at 16. Or have I missed something?

"Looked after" children are "looked after" till the age of 18.
    That's because they're children. People are adults at 18.
    Labelling things isn't really a good way of making an argument. There are rights and responsibilities we grant people at 16, and there are those we withhold until 18. If you want to argue that voting should in be in latter group (or the former, for that matter), come up with a reason. Arguing semantics about whether they're children or adults is meaningless.
    And some things are withheld until 21.
    Here in the US, yes, but are there so very many now in the UK? The biggies used to be age of consent for some sexual acts, and minimum age to run for Parliament. Both no longer apply.
    Casinos used to be 21, iirc. I don't know if that's still the case.
    18 according to https://www.begambleaware.org/understanding-gambling/how-is-gambling-regulated/
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He may have but does he not feel he has any responsibility to sort out the shit he leaves behind? The answer is no,the world will judge him the US are too busy watching sports UT. to give a flying fuck.
    It was Bush who invaded Iraq, it was Obama who backed Syrian rebels against Assad not Trump.

It was Russia, Assad and the Kurds who defeated ISIS and Trump is now leaving Syria to them and Turkey (who funded the Free Syrian Army).

It is no longer America's problem in his view
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Well which British boys are you going to send to die in Syria then you ranting hypocrite!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Charles said:

EPG said:

Charles said:

If someone is resident in the UK but has not opted to become a citizen then they implicitly have a higher loyalty to another entity and hence they can’t be “trusted” with setting the direction of the U.K.

This seems to be where the logic fails: any dual national, on the balance of probabilities, has a higher loyalty to one of their countries. But in any case it is not clear why multiple loyalties means one cannot be trusted, unless we accept that foreigners are bad to begin with. Finally, the critics seem to be correct that it is a policy to skew the electorate for political reasons.
    I hesitated over the word “trusted” because I thought it would be misunderstood as you have

If you are a citizen but not resident you forfeit your right to vote for a local representative (but should be able to vote on matters of principle)

If you are a permanent resident, why shouldn’t you be ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was Bush who invaded Iraq, it was Obama who backed Syrian rebels against Assad not Trump.

It was Russia, Assad and the Kurds who defeated ISIS and Trump is now leaving Syria to them and Turkey (who funded the Free Syrian Army).

Crass and stupid do not cover it and you seem to be his sole cheerleader on here
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

The western Left has taken a strong interest in the Rojava Kurds. Their experiment with a secular, highly decentralised, libertarian eco-socialism and strong commitment to gender equality is exactly what the middle east needs. *Indigenous* models of non theocratic democracy rather than The End of History imposed by Drone strikes. The fact they've stuck firmly to the goal of self governing cantons within a Syrian state rather than independence is an added bonus.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

You really are blinded by the dangerous and absurd Trump. What happened to the moderate remain voting conservative
    Unless we are willing to send British troops to Syria we have no right lecturing Trump
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Well which British boys are you going to send to die in Syria then you ranting hypocrite!!!
    And where has that idiotic comment come from
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Had the US requested the presence of UK special forces to help stabilise northern Syria, we would, and should, probably have acceded to that request. Too late now, of course.

Had Trump said no to Erdogan, there would have been no invasion.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

I'm surprised it's only 58%...the other 42% cheer on endless wars which costs billions and cause untold misery
    Exactly, when are the warmongers on here tonight going to volunteer to send their sons to fight the Turks? In any case the Syrian Army is joining up with the Kurds anyway tonight, leave them to it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

EPG said:

Charles said:

Because you haven’t made the final step of becoming a citizen
  • Options

Bad night for Orban in the Hungarian local elections. Fidedigna have lost control of Budapest and several other major cities for the first time since 2010.

Good night for Law and Justice who have just been re elected in the actual Polish general election
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly, when are the warmongers on here tonight going to volunteer to send their sons to fight the Turks? In any case the Syrian Army is joining up with the Kurds anyway tonight, leave them to it
    A ridiculous argument.

The warmongers are Erdogan, and the president who green-lit his action.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Unless we are willing to send British troops to Syria we have no right lecturing Trump
    Of course we can attack Trump who is dangerous to peace
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

What has this got to do with British anything. Trump has made an obvious and horrendous mistake - against the advice of his military. You don't have to defend everything he does surely.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

EPG said:

Charles said:

Because you haven’t made the final step of becoming a citizen
    That’s not an answer to my question so much as a circular argument.
  • Options

The article linked by another poster does a good job explaining.

I only asked, because on the surface smashing up the public transportation system so people can't go about their everyday lives isn't normally a great way of getting the whole of society on your side....see XR blocking roads that mean people can't get to hospitals etc.

My sense from the people in our HK office is that it’s gone beyond worrying about getting to work. I am going there for a couple of days on my way to Tokyo the week after next. I am looking forward to finding out more and also slightly concerned, too!

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

No we can't, not unless we send British troops to support the Kurds
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

And where has that idiotic comment come from
    Channeling Trump, I think.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

EPG said:

Charles said:

In Spain only as a citizen can you vote at the national level. I suppose that is perceived as being the equivalent of permanent resident. It's certainly not just a British thing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

What has this got to do with British anything. Trump has made an obvious and horrendous mistake - against the advice of his military. You don't have to defend everything he does surely.
    Trump's military advisers have a vested interest in keeping a US presence in the Middle East
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

We would do well to note Trump’s willingness to abandon America’s Kurdish allies to genocide and conclude that as long as he is in the Oval Office the US is not to be trusted.

• Options

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Crass and stupid do not cover it and you seem to be his sole cheerleader on here
    I could not care less, last time I checked PB was not yet a monopoly of views
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Anyone Johnson considers a friend will be defended by HYUFD. It’s part and parcel of supporting Tory FC.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Ok, come with me on this journey. You know how the Tory party does occasionally change position? And you presumably feel that those changes in position are completely justified? As indeed many are. Can you find yourself understanding that it is possible that others are able to change position when justified to do so?

If not, can you understand that the hypocrisy of the left is irrelevant to understanding or not of what is happening now? is their change of position justified, is Trump's, these questions do not rest solely on positions of a decade ago.

You do not usually use your cool and start calling people warmongers and the like, so you seem rattled. This is about the actions of the US and if that is justified, and if so are they the right actions regardless - not about hypothetical British action, but about the action things going on right now.

If it is justifiable for more reasons than the vague point about withdrawing troops from the ME, I welcome hearing those justifications. But you are resorting to hypotheticals and attaching people on the left a decade ago. Is that the strongest point you have?
  • Options

Latest opinion poll from Spain ahead of next month’s election. Yet another hung Parliament beckons, but note the collapse of the Ciudadanos vote. Just a few months ago C’s was looking like it could become Spain’s second party, but a disastrous lurch to the right has brought it to the verge of extinction. It’s truly extraordinary.
    https://twitter.com/electograph/status/1183466282684948480?s=21

Looks like Catalan nationalists may hold the balance of power which could mean an Independence referendum
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Trump's military advisers have a vested interest in keeping a US presence in the Middle East
    The US has a vested interest in not betraying its allies.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    I’m a male rabbit and I’m not moving...

“The buck stops here.”

• Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

We would do well to note Trump’s willingness to abandon America’s Kurdish allies to genocide and conclude that as long as he is in the Oval Office the US is not to be trusted.

Trump is pursuing an 'America First' agenda much as Brexit was a vote for 'Britain First'.

It was not a vote to be submerged in either the EU or USA
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Latest opinion poll from Spain ahead of next month’s election. Yet another hung Parliament beckons, but note the collapse of the Ciudadanos vote. Just a few months ago C’s was looking like it could become Spain’s second party, but a disastrous lurch to the right has brought it to the verge of extinction. It’s truly extraordinary.

Looks like Catalan nationalists may hold the balance of power which could mean an Independence referendum
    Didn't they hold the balance of power last time too? And their withdrawing of support is why we have an election?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Ok, come with me on this journey. You know how the Tory party does occasionally change position? And you presumably feel that those changes in position are completely justified? As indeed many are. Can you find yourself understanding that it is possible that others are able to change position when justified to do so?

If not, can you understand that the hypocrisy of the left is irrelevant to understanding or not of what is happening now? is their change of position justified, is Trump's, these questions do not rest solely on positions of a decade ago.

You do not usually use your cool and start calling people warmongers and the like, so you seem rattled. This is about the actions of the US and if that is justified, and if so are they the right actions regardless - not about hypothetical British action, but about the action things going on right now.

If it is justifiable for more reasons than the vague point about withdrawing troops from the ME, I welcome hearing those justifications. But you are resorting to hypotheticals and attaching people on the left a decade ago. Is that the strongest point you have?
    Either you support a neocon agenda and US intervention in the Middle East or you don't
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Trump is pursuing an 'America First' agenda much as Brexit was a vote for 'Britain First'.

Your first sentence is meaningless sloganeering. Your second, incomprehensible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Yes, Trump’s strategy is to allow the Turks to massacre Kurdish troops and civilians who at the US’s behest sacrificed so much to play a pivotal role in defeating ISIS, a key US strategic objective. Anyone who trusts Trump’s America is a fool.

• Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Didn't they hold the balance of power last time too? And their withdrawing of support is why we have an election?
    And they will likely hold the balance of power again
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Just reflect on that statement. You are saying we cannot attack Trump without involving our military

You have lost it, sadly
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I could not care less, last time I checked PB was not yet a monopoly of views
    That it is not, and more power to you for your views, but you clearly do care because you are becoming increasingly rancrous about it. Why pretend you don't care when you are getting so emotional about defending the point? Yes, in response to the emotional reactions of others, but you're making cases based on decades old statements from the nebulous 'left' as if that is a killer argument, which is well below your usual logic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not a snowball’s chance in hell of that happening.

• Options

HYUFD said:

No chance of a stable Socialist government then
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Yes, Trump’s strategy is to allow the Turks to massacre Kurdish troops and civilians who at the US’s behest sacrificed so much to play a pivotal role in defeating ISIS, a key US strategic objective. Anyone who trusts Trump’s America is a fool.

Except in reality it isn't given tonight Syrian forces are heading to join the Kurds to fight the Turks after a Deal between the Kurds and Assad.

No real surprise as both oppose Turkey, the Kurds for obvious reasons and Assad due to Turkish support for the Syrian rebels.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

They we British have withdrawn forces from Iraq and Syria we can hardly criticise
    Dear rrassing.
    No, whohdrawing from the Middle East
    O

You do

They are absolutely, either you support a neocon agenda and US intervention in the Middle East or you don't
    So there are no differences between potential interventions in your eyes, or between withdrawing troops already present vs invading a whole new country for instance?

I really do not understand why you boil everything down to only two options, one good and one bad. I cannot credit how such complex situations can be moralised so simply.

Not even Trump would sugges that, surely, or he would have removed all troops from the ME immediately upon becoming President. And if you say others persuaded him not to for their own purposes all that time, that kind of proves the complexity, because they apparently did persuade him up to now, and if he agreed it was too complex to just withdraw them then, it definitely was not as simple as you've just pretended.

More to the point, will you at least accept that just as you are willing to justify changing your position, as the party changes its position, that 'the left' and others are allowed to hold a different view now to what they said in the past? Because your call of automatic hypocrisy rather suggests you think only you are permitted to change your mind.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That’s a given.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Just reflect on that statement. You are saying we cannot attack Trump without involving our military

You have lost it, sadly
    We cannot no, America has no divine obligation to be the world's policeman
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Except in reality it isn't given tonight Syrian forces are heading to join the Kurds to fight the Turks after a Deal between the Kurds and Assad.

No real surprise as both oppose Turkey, the Kurds for obvious reasons and Assad due to Turkish support for the Syrian rebels

That is a reaction to Trump’s strategy of abandoning the Kurds to massacre.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Beijing owned.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

No real surprise as both oppose Turkey, the Kurds for obvious reasons and Assad due to Turkish support for the Syrian rebels

That is a reaction to Trump’s strategy of abandoning the Kurds to massacre.

Trump's strategy is proved correct as it shows the Kurds do not need to rely solely on US support
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

As an aside, if an ISIS member who had previously been help prisoner by the Kurds commits a terrorist attack on US soil, how popular do you think President Trump's policy will be then?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

They we British have withdrawn forces from Iraq and Syria we can hardly criticise
    Dear rrassing.
    No, whohdrawing from the Middle East ve?
    They are absolutely, either you support a neocon agenda and US intervention in the Middle East or you don't
    So there are no differences between potential interventions in your eyes, or between withdrawing troops already present vs invading a whole new country for instance?

I really do not understand why you boil everything down to only two options, one good and one bad. I cannot credit how such complex situations can be moralised so simply.

Not even Trump would sugges that, surely, or he would have removed all troops from the ME immediately upon becoming President. And if you say others persuaded him not to for their own purposes all that time, that kind of proves the complexity, because they apparently did persuade him up to now, and if he agreed it was too complex to just withdraw them then, it definitely was not as simple as you've just pretended.

More to the point, will you at least accept that just as you are willing to justify changing your position, as the party changes its position, that 'the left' and others are allowed to hold a different view now to what they said in the past? Because your call of automatic hypocrisy rather suggests you think only you are permitted to change your mind.
    Except they haven't got a different view.

The 'Stop the War coalition' is not demanding we invade Syria to support the Kurds against Turkey
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

You have lost it, sadly
    Of course we can attack Trump as many are tonight.

He has acted in an irresponsible and crass manner and many innocents will pay a heavy price for his stupidity
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

As an aside, if an ISIS member who had previously been help prisoner by the Kurds commits a terrorist attack on US soil, how popular do you think President Trump's policy will be then?
    Given Trump's extremely tough immigration policy and ban on migrants and tourists to the US from many Middle Eastern countries that is unlikely
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Charles said:

[...]

Thanks for your earnest and sensible answer. I appreciate it.
    The issue I have with what you're saying is that you are talking about citizenship as a proxy for the concept of loyalty and that loyalty confers rights. I find both these concepts difficult to understand.
    I would not say that I'm loyal to this country, even though I hold a passport and am therefore a citizen. If my country does something wrong -- which it often does -- I will say so. I would never fight for my country per se. I would fight for my freedom and of those around me against any oppressor, foreign or domestic (and no, I'm not saying that the UK is oppressing me, this is hypothetical). If I'm not loyal to my country, what am I loyal to? I'm loyal to liberty and justice. Sorry if that sounds a bit pledge-of-allegiance but that's what gets my heart skipping, not the union fucking jack.

So here's the difficulty. Since I'm fundamentally more loyal to a concept than my country, despite being a citizen, why do I get a vote? Nobody so far has ever said to me I should be denied my right to vote, despite me making no secret of my lack of loyalty to this country. Perhaps someone will oblige me now, but I won't take it seriously because I have a very clear concept of democracy. That your right to vote is not earned, it is an inalienable human right to participate in the common decisions of your community. I do not have a vote because of my gender, I do not have a right to vote because I have placed my hand on my heart and sworn allegiance to the queen, and I do not have a right to vote because anyone has deemed me worthy of it. I have a right to vote because I'm a part of this community.

And my neighbours, who happen to be Spanish, they are too. I do not know how they would vote if they could vote in a general election, and I do not care. I want them to have their say in exactly the same way that I can move from one county to another and still vote in council elections. Even people from fucking Lincolnshire should be allowed to vote here.
  • Options
    Until now I thought trump would pull off a victory next year, the economy would be bouncing back from a slowdown and overall he would be seen as "not as bad as the Dems say". After the Syria withdrawal I think he's not going to win, the Dems have the perfect stick to beat him with, stabbing the vanquishers of ISIS in the back will have gone down very, very badly with his base.

I think he's done.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

You have lost it, sadly
    Of course we can attack Trump as many are tonight.

He has acted in an irresponsible and crass manner and many innocents will pay a heavy price for his stupidity
    No we can't, unless British servicemen are sent to Syria to support the Kurds we have no right to criticise Trump whatsoever
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

No real surprise as both oppose Turkey, the Kurds for obvious reasons and Assad due to Turkish support for the Syrian rebels.
    That’s a lot of hand waving away the betrayal of an ally, and killings and atrocities which are already happening.
    Northern Syria was a safe haven from both the Syrian regime and from Turkish incursion. By agreeing to allow a full scale invasion, Trump has forced the Kurds to choose between their enemies; it will not be a cost free choice.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No, there was no agreement after the last election, which is why there’s a new one. It’s Spain’s fourth in four years! After this one, I suspect the remaining C’s MPs will abstain on a Sánchez presidency rather than vote against it, along with most of the regional parties. That will confirm PSOE in power, but it will be a fragile grip unless they can do a deal with Podemos.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Until now I thought trump would pull off a victory next year, the economy would be bouncing back from a slowdown and overall he would be seen as "not as bad as the Dems say". After the Syria withdrawal I think he's not going to win, the Dems have the perfect stick to beat him with, stabbing the vanquishers of ISIS in the back will have gone down very, very badly with his base.

I think he's done.

58% of US voters back Trump's policy, including 69% of Republicans

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That’s a given.

Unless things change the GE will merely reshuffle some of both the left and right votes with overall a similar result. Ironically the best route to stability might be a grand coalition. Unless the Ciudadanos rump back Sánchez which could happen if he toughens up on Catalonia.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

Either you support a neocon agenda and US intervention in the Middle East or you don't

Asking for a friend, is Trump hooring out US troops to Saudi Arabia for money part of a neocon agenda and US intervention in the Middle East?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I think he's done.

58% of US voters back Trump's policy, including 69% of Republicans

And when the terrorist attacks by ISIS happen?
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Charles said:

Incidentally, this was the most interestingly cryptic part of your answer.
    I haven't pushed the point in the discussions today, but I'm intrigued as to the distinction between those countries whose passport holders may vote here and those that may not. I'm not sure I understand how anyone can justify the difference, apart from the case of Ireland because of the GFA.
    From my perspective it's all the same. If you're legally resident here, you should have the vote. I think it's quite the challenge to say "here is a list of yesses and here's a list noes and here's why." I'm intrigued to know whether anyone has a good justification for that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.

Yes, Trump’s strategy is to allow the ca is a fool.

That’s a lot of hand waving away the betrayal of an ally, and killings and atrocities which are already happening.
    Northern Syria was a safe haven from both the Syrian regime and from Turkish incursion. By agreeing to allow a full scale invasion, Trump has forced the Kurds to choose between their enemies; it will not be a cost free choice.
    Trump's policy is leave Syria to Assad and the Kurds are now willing to adjust to that, it was western support for rebel groups trying to topple Assad which led to the growth of ISIS in the first place.

Now ISIS is defeated Trump has no further interest in Syria
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Given Trump's extremely tough immigration policy and ban on migrants and tourists to the US from many Middle Eastern countries that is unlikely
    Ummm.

Do you think terrorists typically emigrate to the countries they plan on attacking?
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No, there was no agreement after the last election, which is why there’s a new one. It’s Spain’s fourth in four years! After this one, I suspect the remaining C’s MPs will abstain on a Sánchez presidency rather than vote against it, along with most of the regional parties. That will confirm PSOE in power, but it will be a fragile grip unless they can do a deal with Podemos.

Any chance of going 5 in 5? Clearly they cannot get enough elections in Spain.
This discussion has been closed.