Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At the end of the tunnel

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited October 2019
    If we ever leave the EU, then I think we could have another referendum to rejoin the EU.
    Of course should "rejoin" win the referendum then I think that would mean rejoining subject to a confirmatory referendum on whether or not we want to go back in on the specific conditions the EU sets out for us to rejoin at the time.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Gabs2 said:

It'll dawn on them soon enough the proposed arrangement either cuts NI out of most of most of the proposed trade deals OR means future UK trade deals have to be so restricted as to not threaten NI's alignment with the EU. Boris to his ( sort of ) credit at least grasps NI needs to be cut loose. But that's because he doesn't care about anything or anyone.
    Are Scotland or Wales "cut loose" because they have their own laws? The brilliance of the UK is that it allows all four home nations to have slightly different legal setups, as appropriate for their local context.

Plus Northern Ireland will benefit from the tariff reductions from UK FTAs. It puts them in a great position.
    E and W are identical, NI very very very similar to them, and Scotland utterly different in a way that does no one any good (except the Edinburgh legal establishment which was responsible in the first place for the lack of any attempt to integrate the two systems) and I would guess does Scotland a series disfavour in international trade, inward investment etc. I'm not seeing the brilliance.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    tyson said:

isam said:
    I think Mumsnet should have ended their association with Flora. The nasty hydrocarbon that they dye yellow and pour into a tub is unfit to be described as a food, let alone a health food.
    My mother recently apologised for feeding us all margarine as children. Maybe that post is best made on Mumsnet?
    She isn't to be blamed, because their advertising as a health food is so pervasive. If you leave an open tub of flora out in your garage for months on end, it will not change its state one bit. When even spoilage bacteria aren't interested in eating something, it must be reeaaally bad.
    Thanks to your advice I have lost my taste for a sneaky bowl of rice crispies before going to bed....next you'll be telling me that pot noodles are terrible....
    Oh dear! Much as we've never agreed on anything ever, I have no wish to be the stamper out of life's simple pleasures! :smile:

However, swapping Flora (other crappy vegetable spreads are available) for butter (or if you're in Italy a good drenching of olive oil) is probably something we can all get on board with.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,985
    Pulpstar said:

If we ever leave the EU, then I think we could have another referendum to rejoin the EU.
    Of course should "rejoin" win the referendum then I think that would mean rejoining subject to a confirmatory referendum on whether or not we want to go back in on the specific conditions the EU sets out for us to rejoin at the time.

More likely to join automatically if 5 opinion polls on the trot show a lead for it
  • Options

He’s right up there with Steve Baker. Until Boris sends the RAF to bomb Luxembourg (and possibly take the scenic route home to strafe Cork and Waterford), he ain’t gonna sound happy about a deal.
    Maybe Patterson should fuck off and join the Brexit party.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

isam said:
    I think Mumsnet should have ended their association with Flora. The nasty hydrocarbon that they dye yellow and pour into a tub is unfit to be described as a food, let alone a health food.
    My mother recently apologised for feeding us all margarine as children. Maybe that post is best made on Mumsnet?
    She isn't to be blamed, because their advertising as a health food is so pervasive. If you leave an open tub of flora out in your garage for months on end, it will not change its state one bit. When even spoilage bacteria aren't interested in eating something, it must be reeaaally bad.
    Thanks to your advice I have lost my taste for a sneaky bowl of rice crispies before going to bed....next you'll be telling me that pot noodles are terrible....
    A nice pot noodle (beef and tomato natch) followed by pudding of Pop Tarts (chocolate).
    I kid you not...but a smothered, flora margarine, warbuton (white sliced) with a heap of beef and tomato pot noodle sandwiched in between...infused with a healthy dollop of encona extra hot pepper sauce---absolutely delicious after 12 pints, and a few spliffs.....
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

More likely to join automatically if 5 opinion polls on the trot show a lead for it
    If I were the EU I'd want us signed up to Schengen, the Euro, the whole 9 yards if we ever considered rejoining so we can't (Easily) ever leave again.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

It'll dawn on them soon enough the proposed arrangement either cuts NI out of most of most of the proposed trade deals OR means future UK trade deals have to be so restricted as to not threaten NI's alignment with the EU. Boris to his ( sort of ) credit at least grasps NI needs to be cut loose. But that's because he doesn't care about anything or anyone.
    Are Scotland or Wales "cut loose" because they have their own laws? The brilliance of the UK is that it allows all four home nations to have slightly different legal setups, as appropriate for their local context.

Plus Northern Ireland will benefit from the tariff reductions from UK FTAs. It puts them in a great position.
    If you are going to pull off your ' I voted Remain, but ' troll rountine you need to be a bit less combative and sound less like an ' Excalibur ' bot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    Pulpstar said:

A rejoin referendum would likely only take place after a government that favoured rejoining had negotiated those conditions.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    Pulpstar said:

That seems reasonable, but only if we have our referendum on the exact terms of leaving first.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:
    In North Dorset a mobile JobCentre would actually be quite popular - it would save people on Universal Credit having to regularly travel 15 miles to the nearest JobCentre for interviews with their Work Coach (which if they miss causes their UC to be stopped).
    Maybe those people should get a job and then they won't need to see their Work Coach?

And if they don't have a job why wouldn't they turn up to see their Work Coach?
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    Oh.. I’m sure he has plenty of political capital with the DUP and the Tory right ahead of *any forthcoming tricky votes*.

Wait, what?

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1182769338421522432?s=20
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

isam said:
    A nice pot noodle (beef and tomato natch) followed by pudding of Pop Tarts (chocolate).
    I kid you not...but a smothered, flora margarine, warbuton (white sliced) with a heap of beef and tomato pot noodle sandwiched in between...infused with a healthy dollop of encona extra hot pepper sauce---absolutely delicious after 12 pints, and a few spliffs.....
    Er no.

Cappuccino with chocolate sprinkles and pineapple pizza for me please..
  • Options
    tyson said:

isam said:
    Pot Noodles aren't terrible, they're just terribly expensive for what they are. Other noodle brands are available.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,390

TGOHF2 said:
    In North Dorset a mobile JobCentre would actually be quite popular - it would save people on Universal Credit having to regularly travel 15 miles to the nearest JobCentre for interviews with their Work Coach (which if they miss causes their UC to be stopped).
    I'm not sure what use a Job Centre plus is nowadays! I've just taken early retirement from teaching and I went into my local Job Centre for help on finding some part time work to suppliment my pension. They didn't want to know. As soon as I said I wasn't registering for job seekers all they could do was tell me the names of 2 temp agencies online. Pathetic! Where's the post cards on boards with jobs written on them?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

tyson said:

isam said:
    Oh dear! Much as we've never agreed on anything ever, I have no wish to be the stamper out of life's simple pleasures! :smile:

However, swapping Flora (other crappy vegetable spreads are available) for butter (or if you're in Italy a good drenching of olive oil) is probably something we can all get on board with.
    As sad as I am now I snack on mixed nuts at night.....your comments on rice crispies seriously have put me off them....

My days of pot noodles and warbuton white sliced processed bread are dim and distant (but happy) memories...
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    This is the crap that will cost Boris - not Brexit.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1182771085403721728?s=21
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:
    Maybe those people should get a job and then they won't need to see their Work Coach?

Because they have a 15 mile trip, no car, no money for a taxi and the local bus route’s been cut? Just a guess.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

That seems reasonable, but only if we have our referendum on the exact terms of leaving first.
    If rejoin won a referendum, why would anyone who voted stay out have a problem with another referendum with rejoin options on? Staying out would have been defeated and so shouldn’t be on this hypothetical ballot paper
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

Because they have a 15 mile trip, no car, no money for a taxi and the local bus route’s been cut? Just a guess.
    So how are they planning on attending job interviews if they can't attend a JobCentre visit?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,978
    TGOHF2 said:

Don't tell me the hard right, red blooded Tory masses are once again going to say they were fooled into thinking a leader was on their side but they were actually a woolly wet liberal in disguise? How do they keep falling for that?
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:
    I'm not sure what use a Job Centre plus is nowadays! I've just taken early retirement from teaching and I went into my local Job Centre for help on finding some part time work to suppliment my pension. They didn't want to know. As soon as I said I wasn't registering for job seekers all they could do was tell me the names of 2 temp agencies online. Pathetic! Where's the post cards on boards with jobs written on them?
    I don't think that's a new thing. 16 years ago when leaving university I went there and was looked at like I was an alien when I said I wanted a job but wasn't signing on for benefits.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

If rejoin won a referendum, why would anyone who voted stay out have a problem with another referendum with rejoin options on? Staying out would have been defeated and so shouldn’t be on this hypothetical ballot paper
    I shouldn't worry, the rejoin decision will be so overwhelming that it won't be contested. We won't want to be Belarus with worse food for long.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

Don't tell me the hard right, red blooded Tory masses are once again going to say they were fooled into thinking a leader was on their side but they were actually a woolly wet liberal in disguise? How do they keep falling for that?
    Boris is a wooly liberal, he never disguised that, but I don't think he's wet.

A dry liberal, nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

I shouldn't worry, the rejoin decision will be so overwhelming that it won't be contested. We won't want to be Belarus with worse food for long.
    Belarus-phobia rearing it’s ugly head 🙄
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Its going to be so disappointing for Remainers when we leave and the sky doesn't fall in and we aren't impoverished and really not that much changes.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Is ‘Never Look Away’ up there with ‘The Lives of Others’?
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

What about the sick and disabled claimants on ESA who have to attend interviews with their Work Coach ?

• Options

kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

Who won’t be getting his Nat King if he doesn’t put some green bullshit in the Queens speech..
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

So how are they planning on attending job interviews if they can't attend a JobCentre visit?
    There may still be jobs available in a town or village somewhat closer (eg within walking or cycling distance) than the nearest Job Centre? Especially after the recent thinning.

I’m generally understanding of physical services being thinned out in the interests of efficiency. But if government is going to insist on personal attendance by people who are without the wherewithal to travel far, it feels a little tight to cut Job Centres.

It’s a real issue in rural areas.

• Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2019
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

I wish these remainers would tone down their language.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

You're Minsk-ing your words there, mate :)
  • Options
    Could someone with knowledge of Brighton Kemptown please assure me that Lloyd Russell-Moyle is going to lose his seat at the next GE, before I put my foot through the telly?
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

What do you suggest we do with all those people with mental health and addiction issues...do you really enjoy wandering our town centres seeing young people in sleeping bags?
  • Options

Could someone with knowledge of Brighton Kemptown please assure me that Lloyd Russell-Moyle is going to lose his seat at the next GE, before I put my foot through the telly?

Order a new telly.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

isam said:
    This is 1990s chain email level junk science

Whether something attracts bacteria isn't an indicator of its nutritional value. You ever left spaghetti out in your garage?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Fuckity fuckity fucking hell.

Wow.

Just wow.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

There may still be jobs available in a town or village somewhat closer (eg within walking or cycling distance) than the nearest Job Centre? Especially after the recent thinning.

I’m generally understanding of physical services being thinned out in the interests of efficiency. But if government is going to insist on personal attendance by people who are without the wherewithal to travel far, it feels a little tight to cut Job Centres.

It’s a real issue in rural areas.

Looking at Google it does seem that there are JobCentre plus in Poole, Skelling, Weymouth and Yeovil, leaving quite large towns such as Dorchester without, let alone a lot of smaller places.

When Fox jr. Was job hunting, his nearest Jobcentre was 7 miles away with only a few buses each day. It made signing on very difficult, so an effective way of massaging the figures. There seem to be a lot of NEETS in the same situation.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment/bulletins/youngpeoplenotineducationemploymentortrainingneet/november2018
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,787

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Its going to be so disappointing for Remainers when we leave and the sky doesn't fall in and we aren't impoverished and really not that much changes.
    What happens when all the promises Leavers said would happen when we leave don't happen?
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?
  • Options

Order a new telly.
    Jaysus. He's SO annoying, though.
  • Options

Order a new telly.
    It's Brighton...
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?
    Seems I just landed a Hollywood 3-movie deal......
  • Options

kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

So why would the people who elected him and backed him like those in the Cabinet be surprised and angry?
  • Options

Order a new telly.
    It's Brighton...
    It was a Tory seat 2010-2017, so I assumed it was the bit where people had to work for a living.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762

TGOHF2 said:

Duh! One of your dumbest posts @Philip_Thompson.

1. There are plenty of areas of the country with quite a few people and employers but no JobCentre for 15 miles. E.g the area around Gillingham (Dorset), Wincanton and Shaftesbury.

2. There are plenty of people with mental or other long-term health issues who have little realistic prospect of a job but who the DWP still expect to attend regular meetings with their work coaches, or have their benefits sanctioned.
  • Options

Judging by how things went there in 2017, then I'd assume probably not.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762

Does it not have an off switch?
  • Options

Is it even easy to put a foot through the telly now? It's not like the good old days.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?
    Congrats

• Options
    Floater said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?
    Congrats

Ta.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

1. There are plenty of areas of the country with quite a few people and employers but no JobCentre for 15 miles. E.g the area around Gillingham (Dorset), Wincanton and Shaftesbury.

2. There are plenty of people with mental or other long-term health issues who have little realistic prospect of a job but who the DWP still expect to attend regular meetings with their work coaches, or have their benefits sanctioned.
    If you are in the ' Work related activity group ' of Employment and Support Allowance you've ( a ) been assessed as medically unfit for work ( b ) aren't obliged to look for work yet still have to attend Job Centre Plus interviews with Work Coaches on pain of sanction.
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?

More info required.....

But....very well done all the same on that limited piece you have given us...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is it even easy to put a foot through the telly now? It's not like the good old days.
    Probably not, and god alone knows if it has such a thing as an off switch. It has built in You Tube, though.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,787

TGOHF2 said:

If you are in the ' Work related activity group ' of Employment and Support Allowance you've ( a ) been assessed as medically unfit for work ( b ) aren't obliged to look for work yet still have to attend Job Centre Plus interviews with Work Coaches on pain of sanction.
    And if the bus you're on breaks down and you're late for your appointment, then enjoy 4 weeks of no money, even though it's not your fault.
  • Options
    Well, my considered view is that all makes no sense. Boris seems to have conceded enough to reality to keep the EU talking, but there's still little chance of reaching a deal with them, and zero chance of reaching a deal by do-or-die day. The time to make these concessions was within days of becoming PM; even then he should have been asking for an extension if he was serious about reaching agreement.

So maybe he's not serious about reaching agreement. Certainly that's how it looked a few days ago, with his draft 'proposals' (remember those? The ones which were supposed to be the final offer, take it or leave it, if you quibble we crash out?). That made crude sense as a way of pretending to be serious whilst in reality seeking to shift at least a small portion of the blame to the EU. However, he's torpedoed that as well, by conceding too much. The murmurings from the likes of Owen Patterson show that; Boris is likely to have fallen between the Scylla of blame for no deal and the Charybdis of having betrayed true Brexit - with nothing to show for it except an extension which he could have asked for in the first place if he's finally understood that No Deal is unthinkable but doesn't have any better ideas.

And that's all without even beginning to address the arithmetic of Alastair's article.

And yet the financial markets and many pundits seem to think he's cracked it. It's bizarre.
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?
    Wow!
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

I am in NI now

What on earth are you doing over here? Are the Conservatives opening a new branch?

There used to be a Conservative candidate in North Down IIRC, but that is a world away from Co Antrim.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?
    Giz a tenner
  • Options
    tyson said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?

More info required.....

Who knew there were three films just in the characters on a political website set in the time of Brexit?

Only joking!

It's a sci-fi rom-com trilogy.

One of the special effects companies involved in Guardians of the Galaxies wants to do them.

Crikey....

• Options

Who knew there were three films just in the characters on a political website set in the time of Brexit?

Only joking!

One of the special effects companies involved in Guardians of the Galaxies wants to do them.

Crikey....

Is this your script, or some other role?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Big shift in the Canadian election projection:

Lib 139
    Con 137
    BQ 33
    NDP 24
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/
  • Options
    Hopefully, we can get a deal so the government can stop posturing for BXP votes and start listening to industry about what a final trade agreement should look like.
    https://twitter.com/bbcbusiness/status/1182658033765277698?s=21
  • Options

Only joking!

Crikey....

Is this your script, or some other role?
    My script.
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

Evening, Sean :)
  • Options

Well, my considered view is that all makes no sense. Boris seems to have conceded enough to reality to keep the EU talking, but there's still little chance of reaching a deal with them, and zero chance of reaching a deal by do-or-die day. The time to make these concessions was within days of becoming PM; even then he should have been asking for an extension if he was serious about reaching agreement.

So maybe he's not serious about reaching agreement. Certainly that's how it looked a few days ago, with his draft 'proposals' (remember those? The ones which were supposed to be the final offer, take it or leave it, if you quibble we crash out?). That made crude sense as a way of pretending to be serious whilst in reality seeking to shift at least a small portion of the blame to the EU. However, he's torpedoed that as well, by conceding too much. The murmurings from the likes of Owen Patterson show that; Boris is likely to have fallen between the Scylla of blame for no deal and the Charybdis of having betrayed true Brexit - with nothing to show for it except an extension which he could have asked for in the first place if he's finally understood that No Deal is unthinkable but doesn't have any better ideas.

And that's all without even beginning to address the arithmetic of Alastair's article.

And yet the financial markets and many pundits seem to think he's cracked it. It's bizarre.

When push comes to shove the ERG will take whatever Johnson brings back, won’t they? If they don’t they’re finished and so are their dreams. Johnson is all they have.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019

My script.

Excellent.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lib 139
    Con 137
    BQ 33
    NDP 24
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

Come on Con! I'd love it if they win.
  • Options

The last year has repeatedly seen outbreaks of over optimism regarding the prospect of a deal being approved. We can see this in how so many scenarios still rely on things like 'Surely X won't throw Brexit away now/it would be ridiculous for Y to not back a deal after all they have said' which is just being hopeful and assuming X and Y won't continue to act as they have done for a year.

In fairness the very fact of the situation having moved on a year, of the extension, it does add additional factors that perhaps some people who have resisted up until now will stop doing so, but as Alastair notes it is very tight, even assuming a deal is found.

So until the DUP confirm they are 100% on board, I don't think we can say that the cycle of over optimism has been broken. The DUP bring along all but the most truculent Tories, and at that point there probably are enough Labour MPs to see it over the line even though it is highly unlikely that the posturing 19 will all do so as at that point even short of 10 should be enough

As for whether Boris really is still not serious, if that is so then he has actually done a good job of refuting it - the very fact that some think he must have offered too much to keep talks going means if the talks do collapse without a deal then even if it is his fault, he cannot be accused of not trying.
  • Options

When push comes to shove the ERG will take whatever Johnson brings back, won’t they? If they don’t they’re finished and so are their dreams. Johnson is all they have.

This is the endgame. People can move on to concentrating on post-Brexit and the Trade Agreement which is what ultimately matters, but this stage needs to end.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019

AndyJS said:

Lib 139
    Con 137
    BQ 33
    NDP 24
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

The main change in the projection has been a major switch in seats in Quebec from Liberal to BQ.
  • Options

“Pundits know dick..”
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lib 139
    Con 137
    BQ 33
    NDP 24
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

I thought Trudeau was supposed to be the great liberal hope, is there a particular reason he is facing such a fight to get a mere second term?
  • Options

This is where I've never agreed with you over the date. The date had to be set in stone, in order to get movement.

For a long time the competing demands have been irresistable force meeting immovable object so we've gotten nowhere. Changing the date was the path of least resistance so rather than actually compromising people had no reason to do so and could stay on their high horse and kick the can.

Boris did the only thing that could end the stalemate, he insisted on 31 Oct. Now we're in "the tunnel" seeking a compromise and if one is reachable it will be reached in time for 31 Oct . . . because it has to be.

It is only the pressure of a deadline that sometimes gets people to do what needs to be done - and if the deadline isn't taken seriously then it never gets done.
  • Options

Maybe, but that's not enough without the DUP, whose support is dicey at best, and might not be enough even with them. And that's even assuming that he brings back anything.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Lib 139
    Con 137
    BQ 33
    NDP 24
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

The main change in the projection has been a major switch in seats in Quebec from Liberal to BQ.
    Considering Quebec is one of the two populous swing states that could be of massive significance.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Lib 139
    Con 137
    BQ 33
    NDP 24
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

What a shock.....
  • Options

Maybe, but that's not enough without the DUP, whose support is dicey at best, and might not be enough even with them. And that's even assuming that he brings back anything.
    I think the DUP are on board because they know they'll have no friends if this doesn't go ahead now. Theresa May gave them more political capital than they could have ever dreamt of - and was so inevitably going to be replaced they had no reason to easily budge with her, but they've used their capital up now. If the rumoured deal is right this is a miles better deal for the DUP than May was offering up and their intransigence - and the ERGs - will have paid off.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,878
    TGOHF2 said:

So, just an observation.

The Conservatives' fortunes right now are dependent on the Brexit Party. In any seat where BXP stand, that takes 5%-15% off the Conservative vote. There are a lot of seats where that would mean a loss to Labour or the Lib Dems.

The Brexit Party's chairman is Richard Tice. Richard Tice's girlfriend is Isabel Oakeshott.

Isabel Oakeshott is very big on the military.

Johnson shitting on "the military" like this is red-rag-to-a-bull territory to Oakeshott. She is already tweeting about it. If he wants to stop the Brexit Party from eroding his vote, this is entirely the wrong way to go about it.

There is more I could say but it would be a bit personal so I will refrain.
  • Options

This is where I've never agreed with you over the date. The date had to be set in stone, in order to get movement.

For a long time the competing demands have been irresistable force meeting immovable object so we've gotten nowhere. Changing the date was the path of least resistance so rather than actually compromising people had no reason to do so and could stay on their high horse and kick the can.

Boris did the only thing that could end the stalemate, he insisted on 31 Oct. Now we're in "the tunnel" seeking a compromise and if one is reachable it will be reached in time for 31 Oct . . . because it has to be.

It is only the pressure of a deadline that sometimes gets people to do what needs to be done - and if the deadline isn't taken seriously then it never gets done.

Nothing wrong with a deadline, but staking your entire political credibility on it, when it's not in your control, is mad.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

It seems to be the UK giving the concessions though...
  • Options
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Lib 139
    Con 137
    BQ 33
    NDP 24
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

What a shock.....
    I don't always support the Conservatives . . .

. . . in Australia I support the Liberals.
  • Options

It seems both parties are making compromises. The UK was inevitably likely to concede more, but without the date pressure we wouldn't be in the tunnel today.
  • Options

I thought the Benn Act had prevented a Deal being done! What seems to have happened is that Johnson created a deadline and got so entrenched on it that he has now offered a series of concessions in order to hit the deadline. It’s actually pretty smart - for the ERG hitting the deadline has become the objective, too, so they’ll now agree to pretty much anything.

• Options

Nothing wrong with a deadline, but staking your entire political credibility on it, when it's not in your control, is mad.
    It could just be working and if it does work, it wasn't mad.

Plus if it hadn't worked, which is what I was expecting yesterday morning, and if the voters sided with him at the election as they didn't blame him then it wasn't mad either.
  • Options

tyson said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?

More info required.....

Only joking!

Crikey....

Good stuff.....I honestly cannot think of a rom com sci fi pic....sounds a fertile territory

• Options

I thought the Benn Act had prevented a Deal being done! What seems to have happened is that Johnson created a deadline and got so entrenched on it that he has now offered a series of concessions in order to hit the deadline. It’s actually pretty smart - for the ERG hitting the deadline has become the objective, too, so they’ll now agree to pretty much anything.

So had I.

I think Boris's sheer pigheadedness and charm combined to overcome the Benn Act thankfully.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

So, just an observation.

The Conservatives' fortunes right now are dependent on the Brexit Party. In any seat where BXP stand, that takes 5%-15% off the Conservative vote. There are a lot of seats where that would mean a loss to Labour or the Lib Dems.

The Brexit Party's chairman is Richard Tice. Richard Tice's girlfriend is Isabel Oakeshott.

Johnson shitting on "the military" like this is red-rag-to-a-bull territory to Oakeshott. She is already tweeting about it. If he wants to stop the Brexit Party from eroding his vote, this is entirely the wrong way to go about it.

The Brexit supporting media will not like it either! They could cause BJ huge problems if TBP are advocating a more assertive military policy.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128

TGOHF2 said:

So, just an observation.

Isobel Oakeshott is a shameful source-shopping, double-crossing shit. That she is pissed off about it should ingratiate people to Boris, if anything.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

So, just an observation.

If we leave at the end of the month the BXP will cease to exist in any meaningful form.
  • Options

It seems both parties are making compromises. The UK was inevitably likely to concede more, but without the date pressure we wouldn't be in the tunnel today.
    That is not the impression i have of BJ, the Tories or the Brexit supporting media....
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

So, just an observation.

If we leave at the end of the month the BXP will cease to exist in any meaningful form.
    It will be fun to see Farage try (and fail) to get elected at yet another GE.
  • Options

That is not the impression i have of BJ, the Tories or the Brexit supporting media....
    Boris is a realist. Look at the real Boris and not the caricature.
  • Options

Plus if it hadn't worked, which is what I was expecting yesterday morning, and if the voters sided with him at the election as they didn't blame him then it wasn't mad either.

If it's working, it's because the Benn Act has done what Theresa May tried but failed to do: close off one of the two extreme options, thus forcing those who wanted that extreme to tack to the remaining middle-ground one. I'm sceptical, though, that such support will survive a detailed text.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

So, just an observation.

It will be fun to see Farage try (and fail) to get elected at yet another GE.
    I doubt he'll even bother so long as we've left - why set himself up for humiliation?

Declare it job done and retire to the media/US speaking circuit. Far more money in that and he can actually get roles in that while he'll never be elected to Westminster.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?

More info required.....

Only joking!

Crikey....

Good stuff.....I honestly cannot think of a rom com sci fi pic....sounds a fertile territory

There was Splash, which was sort of sci fi, and fun until it was dumb.... But yes, tricky combo to pull off.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?

More info required.....

Only joking!

Crikey....

Earth Girls are Easy?

https://youtu.be/-RpxHczcT7Q
  • Options

If it's working, it's because the Benn Act has done what Theresa May tried but failed to do: close off one of the two extreme options, thus forcing those who wanted that extreme to tack to the remaining middle-ground one. I'm sceptical, though, that such support will survive a detailed text.
    The Benn Act did no such thing, it just kicked the can. We could still have had an election and gotten a mandate. With Boris well in the lead in the polls and with the polls showing Leavers blamed Parliament and not Boris for any extension we could yet have a much harder exit.

But Boris genuinely wanted it done on time. He was already trying and speaking to Merkel and others before the Benn Act passed.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

So, just an observation.

Farage is a nasicist. He cannot help himself. If it is not the EU, it will be immigration or something else he campaigns against. Indeed, if a deal is agreed he will say it is not really Leaving! Brexit being executed will only embolden him. The Tories are likley to be weaker from this point forward and so a space for Farage is available.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Wow.

Just wow.

U OK hun?

More info required.....

Only joking!

Crikey....

Earth Girls are Easy?

https://youtu.be/-RpxHczcT7Q
    We aim a little higher!
This discussion has been closed.