Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » These perceptions of Johnson could be critical in an election

Comments

• Options

BTW Are we still waiting for the 'exciting news' Jacob Rees-Mogg promised us?

He's coming out as a Trans woman
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    Given what I've heard about their sales figures I suspect they will like a few weeks where they can lower production without making the reason too obvious.
  • Options

Or defecting to the LibDems? Everyone else seems to be.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

I don't think emeritus Supreme Court judges are allowed to say "don't take the piss". But I feel that we are concurring.

Sadly, the Einsteins in Number 10 don't seem to have absorbed that lesson, given the noises coming out of it.

Do you think that the case might have gone the other way (or at least not been decided unanimously) if the government had bothered to provide some justification for the long period of prorogation?
    Yes I do. I found that an extraordinary display of arrogance.

It reminded me of a pensions case, actually, called Imperial Tobacco. That was the first case which introduced the implied duty of trust and confidence into pensions law. The employer was asked to give a reason for its actions and it refused point blank. Off the back of that, the judge held that its actions were improper. If they had given any view, they would probably have won the case.
    Agreed.

Claiming that there were simply no legal limits on prorogation was manifestly absurd, and forced the court into crafting some.
  • Options

All the best people, at any rate... :smile:
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120

philiph said:

Just out of Machiavellian interest on the provisions of the Benn Bill.

I understand BJ has to deliver a letter requesting extra time (with penalties to his chances in an election, in his view).

If the extra time is offered he has to accept the offer.

Having done so, and reported to Parliament and accepted the extra time is there any restriction on him sending another letter after acceptance and before 31st October saying:

'Sorry, Old Bean, we have changed our mind and withdraw our acceptance of the extension you offered to us, Love and kisses Boris'

Yes of course there is. The law requires actual compliance.
    And of course, once the offer of an extension is accepted, the UK isn't free to withdraw from it unilaterally. Or at least no freer than Johnson is now to withdraw from the EU unilaterally.
  • Options

You do realise that calling an election now means that it's impossible to leave the EU with a deal on 31 October, right? And so there is no way that the opposition could agree to an election now. And also means it's kind of weird that Johnson is calling for one while also claiming he is trying to leave with a deal on 31 October. I assume you didn't realise any of that, because otherwise your comment would just be dishonest propaganda.

You do realise that this is the 2nd chance of an election that Labour have run from, right?

I assume you didn't realise that otherwise your comment would just be dishonest propaganda.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell votes against Tory recess :!
    Bryant, Hillier and Harman do too.
    Strange way to boost the Manc economy and get the speaker job.

Missing a few drunken Tory MPs for a couple of days is going to make sod all difference to the Manchester economy. No Deal Brexit on the other hand...
    Lucy Powell last night:

"As the Member of Parliament for Manchester Central, I want the Conservative conference to go ahead—not because I want to welcome the Conservatives to our city, but because livelihoods depend on it, and I think that it is an important part of our democracy. "
    The Tory Conference hasn't been cancelled as far as I am aware. It will go ahead minus about 100 MPs on any particular day. Hardly the end of the world as we know it.
    So you wont object it to be sitting during the Labour or LD conference next year, and for the government to slip in contentious bills while their MPs are away?
    If the Government had not unlawfully prorogued Parliament it wouldn't have happened. They compounded that with a disgraceful performance by Bozo and Cox yesterday. Entire blame lies with the Government's actions and behaviour.

As this Government has yet to win a vote on anything it will make sod all difference anyway.

Nobody is pretending this sets any sort of precedent
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    eek said:

Given what I've heard about their sales figures I suspect they will like a few weeks where they can lower production without making the reason too obvious.
    What sales?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

All the best people, at any rate... :smile:
    In these debased days, least bad people is the best that can be said.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Pulpstar said:

It's one of my sincerest hopes that the Lib Dems replace the Labour party as the main left of centre party.

@RochdalePioneers Good job

This labour party can not be considered left of centre any more. it's far left with left of centre members
    It's hard to call the Lib Dems centre left though, given what they were prepared to go along with as part of the 2010-15 coalition government. I don't think there is a centre left party in England right now, social democrats need to figure out whether they can sign up to a leftist Labour party or a centrist Liberal Democrat party. I respect people making either choice, but when it comes to voting in a general election I think we need to be smart and think about how best to defeat the Tories and their reactionary Brexit project wherever we live.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

You do realise that calling an election now means that it's impossible to leave the EU with a deal on 31 October, right? And so there is no way that the opposition could agree to an election now. And also means it's kind of weird that Johnson is calling for one while also claiming he is trying to leave with a deal on 31 October. I assume you didn't realise any of that, because otherwise your comment would just be dishonest propaganda.

You do realise that this is the 2nd chance of an election that Labour have run from, right?

I assume you didn't realise that otherwise your comment would just be dishonest propaganda.
    None of the opposition parties are going to do anything that can risk (or in this case cause) a no-deal brexit. It's an elephant trap the size of mars and no-one can miss it.
  • Options

He is announcing that he is actually a Labour party mole. His real name is Jason Smogg from a comprehensive school in Wigan and he was planted in the Tory party with the intention to hollow it out from within and help put Bozo in power to destroy the Conservatives for ever.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Missing a few drunken Tory MPs for a couple of days is going to make sod all difference to the Manchester economy. No Deal Brexit on the other hand...
    Lucy Powell last night:

"As the Member of Parliament for Manchester Central, I want the Conservative conference to go ahead—not because I want to welcome the Conservatives to our city, but because livelihoods depend on it, and I think that it is an important part of our democracy. "
    The Tory Conference hasn't been cancelled as far as I am aware. It will go ahead minus about 100 MPs on any particular day. Hardly the end of the world as we know it.
    So you wont object it to be sitting during the Labour or LD conference next year, and for the government to slip in contentious bills while their MPs are away?
    If the Government had not unlawfully prorogued Parliament it wouldn't have happened. They compounded that with a disgraceful performance by Bozo and Cox yesterday. Entire blame lies with the Government's actions and behaviour.

As this Government has yet to win a vote on anything it will make sod all difference anyway.

So the government does a wrong thing the best course of action is to do another wrong thing?

Yes, it won't make any difference this time around, especially with what is on the order paper, but I am thinking ahead to the next conference season. What better way for a government to get its contentious business through than by tabling it when hundreds of opposition MPs are away?
  • Options
    Chris said:

philiph said:

Just out of Machiavellian interest on the provisions of the Benn Bill.

I understand BJ has to deliver a letter requesting extra time (with penalties to his chances in an election, in his view).

If the extra time is offered he has to accept the offer.

Having done so, and reported to Parliament and accepted the extra time is there any restriction on him sending another letter after acceptance and before 31st October saying:

'Sorry, Old Bean, we have changed our mind and withdraw our acceptance of the extension you offered to us, Love and kisses Boris'

Yes of course there is. The law requires actual compliance.
    And of course, once the offer of an extension is accepted, the UK isn't free to withdraw from it unilaterally. Or at least no freer than Johnson is now to withdraw from the EU unilaterally.
    I thought the UK could leave at any time up to exit day?
  • Options

I'm pleased to see the internal ructions have been sorted out and Luciana Berger confirmed as the Lib Dem candidate for Finchley and Golders Green. While it's a very long shot her and Chuka in Cities of Westminster and London are a better use of #FBPE one off activists than Uxbridge. Pity the party had nothing more winnable to offer her but she's young.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    Roger said:

A really foolish article sponsored by the sometimes interesting John Rentoul. What would he have MPs do? Turn up in Parliament and vote to Leave the EU under the auspices of the pathological liar Boris Johnson of Red Bus/Turkish Border starting at Dover fame when they believe it would be a catastrophy?

Are our MPs just lobby fodder? Should they do as some did over Iraq? Follow a crackpot leadrwho followed an even bigger crackpot leader? It isn't their fault that the Tory government needed a Refrendum to gain a majority? Our system isn't designed for one. Come on Rentoul. Pull your socks up!
    Nonsense. Parliament could have: Voted for the only deal available (TMs); Voted to compel revocation; Voted to compel a new Referendum; Made clear what credible Brexit it wanted instead of TMs; Voted for an election; Voted in a VONC and installed the government it wanted. It is open to criticism because it has done none of these things but only delayed. In doing so it has acted against the mandate it received and its own previous decisions. As the SC reminds us, parliament and not government is the sovereign body. It is accountable for its actions.

• Options

Nice try. The first time they decided not to support an election it was because it would have made no deal much more likely. This time it was because it would have made it almost a certainty. What is the Tory strategy though? Do they want a deal or an election? Because they can't have both.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

So the government does a wrong thing the best course of action is to do another wrong thing?

Yes, it won't make any difference this time around, especially with what is on the order paper, but I am thinking ahead to the next conference season. What better way for a government to get its contentious business through than by tabling it when hundreds of opposition MPs are away?
    I think it's more keep Parliament open so that you can react immediately to whatever trick the person who cannot be trusted tries to pull...
  • Options
    Roger said:

A really foolish article sponsored by the sometimes interesting John Rentoul. What would he have MPs do? Turn up in Parliament and vote to Leave the EU under the auspices of the pathological liar Boris Johnson of Red Bus/Turkish Border starting at Dover fame when they believe it would be a catastrophy?

Are our MPs just lobby fodder? Should they do as some did over Iraq? Follow a crackpot leadrwho followed an even bigger crackpot leader? It isn't their fault that the Tory government needed a Refrendum to gain a majority? Our system isn't designed for one. Come on Rentoul. Pull your socks up!

So why did MPs:

1. Vote for the referendum

And then,

2. Vote for A50

Low-information remainers on here are just falling for the dishonesty of the establishment and political elites who never had any intention of implementing the referendum result if there was any possibility of avoiding doing so.

• Options
    eek said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

I think it's more keep Parliament open so that you can react immediately to whatever trick the person who cannot be trusted tries to pull...
    Given it has similarly long breaks over the weekend I don't find that particularly compelling.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Pulpstar said:

It's one of my sincerest hopes that the Lib Dems replace the Labour party as the main left of centre party.

Not mine. We want to be right cross the centre. Seems to be happening ...
  • Options
    felix said:

OllyT said:

felix said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

And the precedent is now set for future years - Parliament can sit through all party conferences except the Tory one. It'll look really clever if that was to happen.
    Surely even you can see that this is a one off and a direct result of the Tories unlawfully proroguing Parliament. Had the government demonstrated a scintilla of contrition yesterday it could easily have been avoided
    Surely even you can see that a chance for sensible magnaminity on the part of the polarised and petty could have done much to dial down the nonsense. Even Jess Philips tweet goes a little way in the right direction.
    You mean like Bozo and Cox did yesterday? As I said they set the tone yesterday
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    I think the left of the Labour party as it is now probably think she is.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Andy_JS said:

I've joined the Liberal Democrats

Who were you supporting before?
    Blair I think
    Okay, thanks. I find it difficult to remember the party affiliations of everyone on PB.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    The problem is we had a referendum on what is desirable. The public disagreed with what people like Seb and I thought was desirable. Some of us have come to terms with that and some of us have not, and have been seeking to sabotage it ever since.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    spudgfsh said:

None of the opposition parties are going to do anything that can risk (or in this case cause) a no-deal brexit.

They could have permanently removed the chance of no-deal three times. Instead they kept no-deal on the table, and indeed the legal default.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited September 2019

The Survation Scotland split is a perfect storm for the SNP:

- all four Unionist parties (Bxp, SCon, SLab and SLD) clustered in the teens

- the SNP above 40%

Even genius-level Unionist tactical voting is going to be worthless if that pattern holds until polling day. As the BritNats are more at caveman-level, things are looking bleak for Union Jack underpant wearers.

Yougov today has SNP 35% Tories 21%, LDs 14%, Labour 13%. So SNP down even on 2017 levels.

Notice too even Survation still has the SNP well below 2015 pre Brexit vote levels so it seems the main winners from the Brexit vote in Scotland are now the Scottish Liberal Democrats, up 7% on 2017 with Yougov and not the nationalists
  • Options
    Mr. (Miss?) Kirk, quite.

To govern is to choose. Parliament has decided to avoid making any decisions at all.
  • Options
    Byronic said:
    Sure to be, there's no history of the Right gaslighting their opponents as Fascists.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It reminded me of a pensions case, actually, called Imperial Tobacco. That was the first case which introduced the implied duty of trust and confidence into pensions law. The employer was asked to give a reason for its actions and it refused point blank. Off the back of that, the judge held that its actions were improper. If they had given any view, they would probably have won the case.

When Hanson bought the company explicitly to rape the Imperial pension fund?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Andy_JS said:

Blair I think
    Okay, thanks. I find it difficult to remember the party affiliations of everyone on PB.
    I voted for Corbyn and Brexit...
  • Options
    Aparently the first tranche of 20 More United candidate recommendations is going out next week. Anyone who donates to the crowdfunder gets to vote yeah/nay on each recommendation with a simple 50% + 1 needed for it to carry. We know this ' works ' as they organised it last time. What's interesting is whether they can pull off the massively increased scale they are planning as well as offering candidate funding outside the spending limits period.
  • Options

He is announcing that he is actually a Labour party mole. His real name is Jason Smogg from a comprehensive school in Wigan and he was planted in the Tory party with the intention to hollow it out from within and help put Bozo in power to destroy the Conservatives for ever.
    Nonsense - he was trained in a facsimile of Eton, buried in a giant cavern under the FSB's Lubyanka headquarters.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Gabs2 said:

The problem is we had a referendum on what is desirable. The public disagreed with what people like Seb and I thought was desirable. Some of us have come to terms with that and some of us have not, and have been seeking to sabotage it ever since.
    I think the point is that the consequences of what is deliverable will be seen as massively undesirable by the country, which is perhaps supported the governments efforts to conceal and downplay its assessments of what those consequences will be.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    HYUFD said:
    LibDems take Yardley by 10%. Bye bye Jess.....

Still, with the pay-off for losing your seat you can at least afford a printer.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Pulpstar said:

Why ?

There is absolutely no evidence that the LibDems are at all interested in diminishing poverty, for example.

The LibDems are a party for Toffs with a Conscience.

It is a little better than the party of Toffs without a Conscience, but that is about all.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

AndyJS said:

Andy_JS said:

Blair I think
    Blimey!!!
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited September 2019

Aparently the first tranche of 20 More United candidate recommendations is going out next week. Anyone who donates to the crowdfunder gets to vote yeah/nay on each recommendation with a simple 50% + 1 needed for it to carry. We know this ' works ' as they organised it last time. What's interesting is whether they can pull off the massively increased scale they are planning as well as offering candidate funding outside the spending limits period.

I believe the various pro-EU campaigns are doing something similar, targeting 100 or so key seats. The idea is to encourage tactical voting for the candidate best placed to beat the Tory.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited September 2019
    algarkirk said:

Perhaps he thinks if he asks for both he might get one of them. BTW I still think it is likely he is going for a late deal; and that the chance that ultimately we will remain is now a bit over 50%. I wonder if part of the confected and bogus row over language is cover and excuse for not supporting a Tory deal in October.

Ah yes, it was me and you who thought a Deal was his real plan, wasn't it? You're on your own now, I'm afraid. I'm just seeing too much evidence to the contrary. If he were to win a thumping majority in a Brexit general election, would he then get serious about a Deal? Maybe, but I'm doubting even that.

It's a bit like when Trump won -

"Surely he's not really so unhinged?"
    "Surely it's mainly an act?"
    "Surely he will cut a lot of the crap when he's in office?"

But pretty soon the awful truth dawned. WYSIWYG.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Perhaps he thinks if he asks for both he might get one of them. BTW I still think it is likely he is going for a late deal; and that the chance that ultimately we will remain is now a bit over 50%. I wonder if part of the confected and bogus row over language is cover and excuse for not supporting a Tory deal in October.

Ah yes, it was me and you who thought a Deal was his real plan, wasn't it? You're on your own now, I'm afraid. I'm just seeing too much evidence to the contrary. If he were to win a thumping majority in a Brexit general election, would he then get serious about a Deal? Maybe, but I'm doubting even that.

It's a bit like when Trump won -

"Surely he's not really so unhinged?"
    "Surely it's mainly an act?"
    "Surely he will cut a lot of the crap when he's in office?"

But pretty soon the awful truth dawned. WYSIWYG.
    Without wishing to invoke Godwin's Law, similar was said about a certain Austrian Corporal.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    felix said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

And the precedent is now set for future years - Parliament can sit through all party conferences except the Tory one. It'll look really clever if that was to happen.
    Actually, Parliament was open during both the Lib Dem and Labour conferences. Did you not hear Lady Hale say, "Parliament is not prorogued".
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

AndyJS said:

Andy_JS said:

Blair I think
    Genuine question - what changed in the meantime to take you to LD? Corbyn (or your opinion of him) or your opinion on Brexit or both? Or other things?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2019
    felix said:

Perhaps the EU is their single greatest allegiance in life, who knows.

We know perfectly well - that is utter, off-the-wall, green-ink-bonkers nonsense.
    Why? There was no reason for them to vote against on this occasion except utter pettiness. You sadi more or less the same thing yesterday.
    It is fitting revenge for Johnson's Prorogation and making up for lost time. Hopefully the Opposition will again take control of the Order Paper so as to make it difficult for Johnson to appear in Manchester on Wednesday.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

FPT, but actually more relevant to this thread:

Jess Phillips is really rather impressive. See the quote at 13:34:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/26/boris-johnsons-brexit-rhetoric-condemned-as-mps-tell-of-death-threats-politics-live

Also David Gauke is proving to be a star. I met him briefly in 2010 when he was a junior in the Treasury, and I thought then he might go far. What a tragedy that the modern Conservative Party is no longer interested in sensible people like him.

I have never met Jess, but I have met Gauke, and seen him in action at at Q&A of experts during his time at HM Treasury. He remains the most impressive minister I have seen with an industry audience – completely on top of his brief, warm and willing. He is a seriously able man.
    I’ve met both and each in their own way are very impressive.
  • Options

felix said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

Actually, Parliament was open during both the Lib Dem and Labour conferences. Did you not hear Lady Hale say, "Parliament is not prorogued".
    de jure but not de facto.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

A Government unlawfully prorogues Parliament, on the first day back it shows no contrition, insults parliament and on day 2 asks Parliament for a recess for its party conference. They are having a laugh and no it won't set a precedent. I have no sympathy whatsoever for this government given the way it is behaving.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

felix said:

We know perfectly well - that is utter, off-the-wall, green-ink-bonkers nonsense.
    Why? There was no reason for them to vote against on this occasion except utter pettiness. You sadi more or less the same thing yesterday.
    It is fitting revenge for Johnson's Prorogation and making up for lost time. Hopefully the Opposition will again take control of the Order Paper so as to make it difficult for Johnson to appear in Manchester on Wednesday.
    As if Parliament is going to spring into action and finally do something after three years of dithering. It's just political point scoring at this point.
  • Options

OllyT said:

And another historic convention destroyed by remainer MPs.

Fair game in the future for a government to schedule parliament to sit whilst the opposition are having their conference.

Very sad days regardless of your political allegiance.
    The petty-minded mean spirit of Remainers knows no bounds, it would seem.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They won't not in my lifetime

Mind you i do have an inoperable heart condition and could snuff it at anytime!!

Didn't Fergusson say something similar about Man City not overtaking Man Utd? How did that work out?
  • Options

felix said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

And it is undeniable that Johnson deprived Parliament of a vote on a conference recess prior to today...

And quite possible that the opposition would have voted it down, even at the expense of their own conferences.

(Mind you, I still think today's vote, while understandable, slightly petty.)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why ?

There is absolutely no evidence that the LibDems are at all interested in diminishing poverty, for example.

It is a little better than the party of Toffs without a Conscience, but that is about all.
    Indeed the LibDems have shown themselves to be centre rright post 2010.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    justin124 said:

felix said:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1177233856660946945?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1177233856660946945&ref_url=https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/26/boris-johnsons-brexit-rhetoric-condemned-as-mps-tell-of-death-threats-politics-live
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

As if Parliament is going to spring into action and finally do something after three years of dithering. It's just political point scoring at this point.
    But Johnson has brought it on himself and deserves no better.
  • Options
    Party conferences should all be moved to the already ridiculously long holiday periods.

MPs should work for their constituents when they are paid to do so and their parties in their free time.

It would still have been wiser and more magnanimous to have allowed a recess for the tory conference this time around.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't believe that. While it was strongly LD in the past, it was also 60% leave
  • Options
    CatMan said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1177233856660946945?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1177233856660946945&ref_url=https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/26/boris-johnsons-brexit-rhetoric-condemned-as-mps-tell-of-death-threats-politics-live
    He may feel obliged to change his plans if the Opposition threaten legislation he is keen to block.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    edited September 2019

Pulpstar said:

Why ?

Rubbish. The increase in the personal allowance to take the working poor out of tax was an LD policy, as was the Pupil Premium. Both are effective actions to tackle poverty, and not just pie in the sky, they were actually implemented.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    Do you think that the Conservatives have earned any goodwill gestures from their opponents?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why ?

Indeed the LibDems have shown themselves to be centre rright post 2010.
    That's the sound of SLFers falling over.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

A Government unlawfully prorogues Parliament, on the first day back it shows no contrition, insults parliament and on day 2 asks Parliament for a recess for its party conference. They are having a laugh and no it won't set a precedent. I have no sympathy whatsoever for this government given the way it is behaving.
    You forget that the Tories scuppered pairing too. Hoist by their own petard.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Wales: Labour goes from 28 to 15 seats. Tories up to 17.

This in firebrand socialist Welsh Wales.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't believe that. While it was strongly LD in the past, it was also 60% leave
    Until Estelle Morris regained the seat for Labour in 1992 , it had been a Labour/Tory marginal. The Tories were back in second place in 2017.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jess is safe there.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Pulpstar said:

They won't not in my lifetime

Mind you i do have an inoperable heart condition and could snuff it at anytime!!
    We disagree muchly on politics but that was really funny. I know exactly where you are coming from.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    Do you think that the Conservatives have earned any goodwill gestures from their opponents?
    Definitely not!
  • Options

Party conferences should all be moved to the already ridiculously long holiday periods.

MPs should work for their constituents when they are paid to do so and their parties in their free time.

It would still have been wiser and more magnanimous to have allowed a recess for the tory conference this time around.

They should embrace the new technology - and have Boris's speech given to conference by a (now surprisingly life-like) hologram.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    If only HS2 was finished. Then all these tories could nip up and down between London and Manchester in an hour!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Until Estelle Morris regained the seat for Labour in 1992 , it had been a Labour/Tory marginal. The Tories were back in second place in 2017.
    Pretty sure Jess has a rock solid personal vote by now. She is one of Brummage's own.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

I'm afraid they are. The silly petty partisans will end up reaping rather more than they have sown.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Why ?

Rubbish. The increase in the personal allowance to take the working poor out of tax was an LD policy, as was the Pupil Premium. Both are effective actions to tackle policy, and not just pie in the sky, they were actually implemented.
    To be reducing Income Tax at at a time of supposedly unavoildable austerity was a right wing policy - albeit that a reduction in the standard rate would have been even more so.
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Pretty sure Jess has a rock solid personal vote by now. She is one of Brummage's own.
    I agree.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Jess is safe there.
    My model has it as one of 5 LD gains from LAB, although it is very close and my gut says she'll hold on.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    edited September 2019

Only skimmed the other thread as busy. But a crystal clear rubicon has been crossed IMO.

Johnson was judged to have mislead the Queen and unlawfully given advice which lead to the improper proroguing of parliament. Yes, he had legal opinion that he was ok to do so. But the superior court judged it the other way.

Jo Swinson made a short, calm and prescient point. Even her 5 year old son knows to say sorry when he's done wrong. Why doesn't the PM know to do this?

Later that afternoon she receives a DEATH THREAT against a 5 YEAR OLD CHILD. And still there are people finding a way to rationalise and argue that such behaviour is not the fault of the impotent inadequate idiotic man (because it almost certainly was) who did this. As isam said on the last thread on the subject of people objecting to this: "bollocks"

Something is very very broken in this country. The PM is openly stoking this fire so that more impotent angry cretins feel emboldened and indeed entitled to threaten a 5 year old child. That said cretins have already murdered one MP and would have murdered another had the police not stopped them doesn't seem to phase isam or Cleverly or any of these people happy to have the lives of women and children directly threatend because what they want hasn't happened.

David Starkey yesterday on LBC pointed out that in the past "People" vs "Parliament" led to war. We feel on the edge of that right now, where infants are apparently fair game. These "men" - and I rightly put it in quote marks because men do not threaten children and murder women because of politics - should be ashamed. But aren't, and won't be, because of political tactics by the Prime Minister.

I have a low opinion of Corbyn. But my resentment of Corbyn is nothing compared to my resentment of Johnson. And Cummings. And Banks. And Farage. And Dacre. How we restore basic human decency I do not know. Because isam and friends refuse to recognise that they are indecent.

Thanks for the many mentions. I used the word “Bollocks” deliberately and sarcastically because it is Jo Swinson’s party’s catchphrase in the Brexit debate. I think having dipped their toe into the use of provocative language, it is a bit rich to behave like maiden aunts and talk of decency etc etc

So you found it crass, my point has been made
  • Options
    I remember somebody once said, when they go low, we go high...seems everybody has forgotten that on both sides of the pond.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    Spectacularly missing the point and deliberately at that. Chill out.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2019
    justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Why ?

Rubbish. The increase in the personal allowance to take the working poor out of tax was an LD policy, as was the Pupil Premium. Both are effective actions to tackle policy, and not just pie in the sky, they were actually implemented.
    To be reducing Income Tax at at a time of supposedly unavoildable austerity was a right wing policy - albeit that a reduction in the standard rate would have been even more so.
    Even if that is so, so what? The LibDems didn't have a majority. No doubt the government would have done different things if it had been a purely LibDem affair, but you really can't blame them for having to compromise - that's kinda the idea of coalitions, right? It doesn't mean that they weren't a centre-left party.
  • Options

I can see why the feeble-minded may take this view but eventually Brexit will be over and bringing the country back together will not be helped by these sorts of totally unnecessary and petty point scoring exercises.

• Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Jess is safe there.
    My model has it as one of 5 LD gains from LAB, although it is very close and my gut says she'll hold on.
    The only likely LD gain from Labour is Sheffield Hallam - given that Simon Hughes and Greg Mulholland are not standing again.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    Don’t you think that preventing the Tories having their conference might... ‘rally the troops’ (if such wartime analogies are permitted in these febrile times)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

I think the left of the Labour party as it is now probably think she is.
    So, MPs' salaries now have to go up to include danger money. Isn't Brexshit truly wonderful...?

Who in their right mind aged 40-55 would risk mad people attacking them at work if they have the ability to get an interesting and safer job elsewhere and still be paid £75-80 k/y?

Admittedly it's very good pay for someone aged 25 with a degree and almost no life experience. So they might regard it as OK.
  • Options
    felix said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    Play bitch games and win bitch prizes.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Why ?

Even if that is so, so what? The LibDems didn't have a majority. No doubt the government would have done different things if it was a LibDem government, but you really can't blame them for having to compromise - that's kinda the idea of coalitions, right?
    It may be a reason not to have entered the coalition. A Confidence & Supply arrangement might actually have given them more leverage - despite being unable to push their own policy proposals.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Jess is safe there.
    The only likely LD gain from Labour is Sheffield Hallam - given that Simon Hughes and Greg Mulholland are not standing again.
    Sheffield Hallam is one of the other ones, along with Burnley, Leeds NW and Portsmouth S.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    isam said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    Don’t you think that preventing the Tories having their conference might... ‘rally the troops’ (if such wartime analogies are permitted in these febrile times)
    The Tories might as well just head off leaving a couple of talkers who know their way round parliament well (Bill Cash, Mogg and a couple of others can probably manage it) as they're bound to lose any "surprise" motions anyway.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

felix said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    And so the spiral spins ever downwards.
  • Options

I'm not trying to be funny or score points but you might want to consider logging off for the evening.

Come back refreshed tomorrow.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nonsense - he was trained in a facsimile of Eton, buried in a giant cavern under the FSB's Lubyanka headquarters.
    Now you are getting just a bit too far fetched....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2019
    justin124 said:

It may be a reason not to have entered the coalition. A Confidence & Supply arrangement might actually have given them more leverage - despite being unable to push their own policy proposals.

Yes, but fortunately as a responsible centre-left party they rightly concluded that it was in the interests of the country, and in particular of their voters and constituents, to help form a stable government which could rescue the economy from the crisis which Labour had left behind (Labour were overspending by a staggering 33%, if you remember).

It worked extremely well - quite remarkably, the deficit was brought under control without the mass unemployment which might have been expected. That was exactly looking after the interests of the least well-off, which is where this debate started.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Testy on here today! Reference next week, I think any attempt to seize control of the order paper whilst the Tories are in Manchester would be a politically disastrous move for the opposition parties. We might be a mardy bunch these days but that would really irk the British sense of fair play
  • Options

felix said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

How very petty.
    And so the spiral spins ever downwards.
    The loss of the Conservative party conference is not a matter of national importance.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Jess is safe there.
    Sheffield Hallam is one of the other ones, along with Burnley, Leeds NW and Portsmouth S.
    Portsmouth South is highly unlikely given Labour's shock win from third place in 2017. The new Labour MP is likely to have a significant first term incumbency bonus and will now be widely seen as the obvious anti-Tory option. Mike Hancock was dependent there on Labour tactical votes which will now swing behind the new MP.
    Without Mulholland , it will also be much tougher for the LDs to win back Leeds NW.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Lucy Powell last night:

"As the Member of Parliament for Manchester Central, I want the Conservative conference to go ahead—not because I want to welcome the Conservatives to our city, but because livelihoods depend on it, and I think that it is an important part of our
    democracy. "
    And it is undeniable that Johnson deprived Parliament of a vote on a conference recess prior to today...

And quite possible that the opposition would have voted it down, even at the expense of their own conferences.

(Mind you, I still think today's vote, while understandable, slightly petty.)
    Today's vote was unnecessarily petty. I am surprised all opposition parties agreed to it.
    Why did the 21 expelled Tories sat on their hands ? This would have been a good gesture to their party membership.
This discussion has been closed.