Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This is bigly yuge

Comments

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

ab195 said:

TOPPING said:

ab195 said:

alex. said:

ab195 said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

The FTPA. Jeez. Everything David Cameron did was utterly, utterly shit. “Ruining the country, I think I’d be quite good at that”.

Theory: David “snitch on the Queen” Cameron was the most catastrophic leader of a major western nation since the Second World War. I am struggling to think of anyone else with a legacy as grim and chaotic.

BORIS!!!!
    Boris inherited a horrible hand, and has tried to play it as best he can. His only major unforced error was the prorogation, and it’s not that important.

I genuinely cannot think of a leader, of a major western nation post-WW2, who has left a worse legacy than Cameron.

The closest I can come is Berlusconi in Italy, but even he wasn’t such a constitutional wrecking ball.

Trump may prove to be worse, but his career isn’t done yet, so we can’t tell. Blair was pretty bad with Iraq, but he didn’t destabilize the entire country.
    BoZo has not made a correct move since gaining office. He has the negative Midas touch, everything he touches turns to shit.
    You were never going to vote for him. We in his 30-40% approve and hope he wins a majority, and then sets about about demolishing everything remainers hold dear. (He won’t but his successor might - it’s time for revolution).
    Just for clarification - what are some examples of these things which “remainers hold dear”?

Corporatism. The religion of GDP growth. The focus on London.
    Ha! Well done. You got us. For a minute I thought you were serious.
    It does sadden me that I’ve had to travel from the day after the referendum, when I thought some form of EEA compromise made sense, to wanting to see your lot in tears. And make no mistake, the impending victory for Remain will be temporary.
    No, it will be permanent. No sane political leader, having seen what the attempt to Brexit has done to the Tory Party and the country, will propose to repeat the experience. Johnson is the fifth consecutive Tory PM who has been broken by it.
    PM Farage will take us out. May take the election after next, but it is where we are headed after the current crop of MPs, the peoples vote and the EU made a comprise deal impossible.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Enemies of the people?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2019

Conservative MPs who have lost the whip would face a dilemma if they are looking for a route back. Were Corbyn to be PM their decision would be easy. However, they can hardly VONC Beckett on the grounds that she is a Marxist threat to national security. But if they have not given up hope of standing again as a Conservative candidate, they would need to find an excuse to VONC a government headed by a non-Corbyn Labour PM, or they would surely find themselves out of the party for good.

The solution is for the caretaker to be Sylvia Hermon, who everyone can support to preserve peace in NI.

She also has the advantage of not being able to snaffle leadership of the Labour Party away from Corbyn if things go too well.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,131
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    Laura has been effectively acting as government PR on this. Unattributed quote criticising the judges and judge positive reporting on can do spirit and attitude.

This is more shameless than Nick Robinson's post election performance in 2010
    She just parrots the government (or, less occasionally, the opposition) line.

She is a lazy non-journalist, who couldn’t find a story in a Beatrix Potter compendium.
  • Options
    On topic: am I the only one who thinks this story might not turn out entirely to Joe Biden's advantage?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Chris said:

alex. said:

An alternative interpretation to the polling. There is a group of people who think we must leave the EU at any cost. There is an equally implacable group who will not countenance leaving. But there is a large group in the middle who just want it over and wish they’d never heard of Brexit.

At the moment a large, even majority, of this latter group are telling pollsters that we should leave as ASAP as they see that as the path most likely to deliver what they want - an end to the current deadlock. But if, there were more extensions, and particularly if somehow, revoke looked possible or did come about then many in this group might switch. Because revoke would remove the dagger over our head and there would be a chance of moving on. Parties would be free to try and reopen the debate again, but they may find it not as politically profitable as they think.

If this is the case, then the Libdem policy of looking to go straight to revoke is several times better than offering referendums etc, which will just prolong the agony.

And of course, many of the people who are now saying "Just get on with it" will be among the first to complain if we get on with it and it goes badly wrong.
    There is no chance of moving on with Revoke. The most Brexity third would be so furious it guarantees the Tories stand on a Leave manifesto for elections to come. It will be as totemic to them as Scottish independence is for the SNP. Sooner or later they would get a majority.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

The main issue with Laura is not her bias.
    It’s that she’s just a bit shit.
    Probably the most ordinary, mediocre journalist ever to get that job.
    Just crap.

That is ridiculous. She is one of the BBC's best journalists. Far better than Peston ever was.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Enemies of the people?

"He was deceived by a lie! We all were!"
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

On topic: am I the only one who thinks this story might not turn out entirely to Joe Biden's advantage?

You are not
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    Laura has been effectively acting as government PR on this. Unattributed quote criticising the judges and judge positive reporting on can do spirit and attitude.

She is a lazy non-journalist, who couldn’t find a story in a Beatrix Potter compendium.
    This really is a energetic campaign against her by Labour isn’t it ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1176615713026428928?s=19

Ummm once no deal is off the table why would they need a caretaker PM? #coup

To VONC Boris, and agree someone to serve only for the time necessary to push through a referendum and then, once the people of the UK have made the right choice, to have an election.
  • Options

If they can see a gap through which they can squeeze brexit (or the voter-approved cancellation thereof) they'd be mad not to take it. There's no guarantee the arithmetic will line up to settle it one way or another after a GE.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    edited September 2019
    TGOHF2 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF2 the sequel???
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805

Conservative MPs who have lost the whip would face a dilemma if they are looking for a route back. Were Corbyn to be PM their decision would be easy. However, they can hardly VONC Beckett on the grounds that she is a Marxist threat to national security. But if they have not given up hope of standing again as a Conservative candidate, they would need to find an excuse to VONC a government headed by a non-Corbyn Labour PM, or they would surely find themselves out of the party for good.

The solution is for the caretaker to be Sylvia Hermon, who everyone can support to preserve peace in NI.

She also has the advantage of not being able to snaffle leadership of the Labour Party away from Corbyn if things go too well.
    Ed Miliband...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

To VONC Boris, and agree someone to serve only for the time necessary to push through a referendum and then, once the people of the UK have made the right choice, to have an election.
    No chance that survives long enough for a referendum
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    egg said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

A gaffe by Democrats, when the Republicans tried to impeach President Clinton it only ended up increasing his popularity and while it passed in the House it failed in the Senate much as this effort would

How did it go for Nixon?

They tried to impeach Clinton for a property deal where he lost money and had to settle for a blow job instead.

Trump has done lots of actual crimes. There are differences here.
    Nope. I’m with HY here. Which actual crime you convicting him on? When he releases the transcript and he has committed no crime.

You go into court where you have the evidence to secure a conviction. I’m calling this as democrats sabre rattling with the threat, they don’t have the evidence.
    What actual crimes did Clinton commit ? He was still impeached. No one is talking about removal from office. Remember Nixon resigned not removed.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Then the Sun should tell Farage back the f*ck down and back Boris! If he doesn't listen, he might prevent Brexit from ever happening.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    kle4 said:

How many referendums do we get to make the right choice?
  • Options

Yup.

Probably orchestrated by the shadowy KLOBUCHAR
  • Options

ab195 said:

kyf_100 said:

ab195 said:

You have to think the LibDem “vote for me and I’ll make it all go away ticket by revoking” ticket is going to start to attract a lot of people. As is a Boris “show these bastards who’s boss” ticket. That Labour collapse has to be looking a touch more likely.

On topic, as implied by the thread header, I think the democrats need to be careful they don’t concentrate so much on this angle that they forget to critique his policies and the state of the country. It feels like this could be ok territory for Trump to fight on.

How does revoke make it go away exactly?
    I don’t think it does. But that’s the way they seem to want to present it. “Revoke and forget it all happened”.
    Apologies to everyone fed up with me spamming the thread re Betfair's implied probabilties. But one thing that jumped out at me was how they suggest should article 50 be revoked, there's a roughly 1 in 5 chance the revocation is followed by Brexit before 2022 anyway

(This may be a mistake in my maths or an inconsistency between Betfair markets rather than a reasonable estimate of this conditional probability, though.)
    That doesn’t sound too wild to me. There must be a good chance of any revocation being done in a hurry as an emergency measure against a crash-out, with a wide acceptance that it’ll be followed by an attempt to do it a bit less shit next time.
    Thanks for your assessment, it's the "before 2022" that makes me sceptical - aside from the motivation of how parliament would be prepared to do the really radical thing and revoke, yet still go on to back leave*, would there be enough time for the "next time" to go through all the stages of pre-planning, reinvoking article 50, getting a deal and pushing it through parliament?

* Admittedly there could be a GE in between these two decisions, but it would be very hard arithmetically for the current parliament to revoke even if Johnson ignored the extension law, so we might well be talking about a GE between the next parliament and the one after that...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2019

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, I think she means well and isn't (intentionally) biased, but she's hopelessly out of her depth. She completely misunderstands what the role of a political journalist is supposed to be.

The contrast between her analysis and Katya Adler's, when they put the two of them on back-to-back, is so obvious.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Not much choice from them but to try unless they gather the courage to revoke. Or if polls post 31 October indicate Boris has much less chance of winning a GE - then a GE will be back on the table.
  • Options

If they can see a gap through which they can squeeze brexit (or the voter-approved cancellation thereof) they'd be mad not to take it. There's no guarantee the arithmetic will line up to settle it one way or another after a GE.
    To then get mind numbingly slaughtered at the next election after a rigged election with a turnout of 40% ?

It’s a plan of sorts I guess..
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF2 the sequel???
    An illegal prorogation.
  • Options
    Good evening friends - some personal news:
    https://twitter.com/AaronBell4NuL/status/1176593835385872384
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

As many as it takes, duh. The remainer playbook has been to resist long enough for people to change their minds. Its worked on me, and they hope on enough others (and to dispirit enough leavers) that they will win this time. A GE at the moment is too risky as the public look like making the wrong choice again.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

To then get mind numbingly slaughtered at the next election after a rigged election with a turnout of 40% ?

It’s a plan of sorts I guess..

The Leave bloc isn't huge, what remainers need to fear is the alliance of the Leave bloc and the "FFS just get it over with" bloc. The solution is to just get it over with.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Not much choice from them but to try unless they gather the courage to revoke. Or if polls post 31 October indicate Boris has much less chance of winning a GE - then a GE will be back on the table.
    What happens after 31/10 when Jezza is still crap and unpopular?
  • Options

Good luck, Lab maj of thirty to overcome.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

At least two more than the number of GEs we get before 31st October.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,897

Just crap.

You still moaning about Laura K?
  • Options
    The comres polling ought to scare the shit out of remain MPs
  • Options

Congratulations!! Would be an excellent seat for you.
  • Options

Better luck this time - much tighter seat this time I see, one of the tightest in the country. Better hope BXP don't stand though.
  • Options

Good luck. Think you'll have a comfortable win. ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Just crap.

You still moaning about Laura K?
    It. Never. Stops.

But there's no obsession.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2019
    RobD said:

Just one more, on a practical, immediately applicable deal, and it's binding and automatic, so if you vote Leave in it it will happen with no further action from Parliament.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,990
    I for one look forward to our brief Gov't of caravan holiday lovers.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Hence the attempt to push through a referendum first if that's the case. Much trickier to get through and hold things together, but if the Tories are still riding high it's the next best option for parliamentary remainers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

:o:D good luck.. a very tight marginal.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited September 2019

Preserve peace? Brexit does not impact on peace here unless people go to violence over it and being frank I've noticed next to no evidence that anyone beyond the usual suspects will attempt to use it. Its not exactly as if the Provos and the UVF are oiling the machine guns. Its a choice to do so, not an inevitability.

The reality is that Brexit in itself is not going to be a cause of violence on the streets. Its an excuse, thats all, not a cause. People will shuttle across that border without fuss no matter.

The entire intelligence reporting being touted by the police concerns policing customs arrangement in areas where they are fuck all liked anyway, so they won't be doing it there in the first place. The police have no intelligence that trouble WILL grow, none and they haven't indicated a firm view that it will either. That sections of republicanism will use it is just a product of the fact they, like all extremists, use any old load of crap as a slight anyway and anyone knows for that last 20 odd years they have existed all along.

This place may be quieter but trouble, paramilitary violence and street disturbances happen on a fairly regular basis with the exact same motivations as per the last 40 odd years.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A Ma Beckett/Ken Clarke-headed govt must be political geeks' version of a Spice Girls reunion tour.
  • Options

Good luck
  • Options
    I can’t possibly give a fuck about Bozo Bunter misleading the Queen.

The Queen shouldn’t be involved. The monarchy is a joke. The biggest welfare scam going: albeit involuntary for the poor sods who are forced to benefit from it.

Boris is a lying clown. That’s enough, without involving a 92 year old lady who was born into this fiasco via genetic lottery.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Hence the attempt to push through a referendum first if that's the case. Much trickier to get through and hold things together, but if the Tories are still riding high it's the next best option for parliamentary remainers.
    Another referendum will likely be boycotted by leave. Certainly one with some shandy deal as the only leave option.

It won’t solve anything for remainers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Any "confirmatory" referendum as I think the phrasing now is will have derisory turnout, probably the only places with high turnout will be very remain areas like London and Bristol. I doubt the Scots will bother too much either.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

RobD said:

Just one more, on a practical, immediately applicable deal, and it's binding and automatic, so if you vote Leave in it it will happen with no further action from Parliament.
    If the first time voters I know who voted in the referendum to leave are any indication, that won't convince them. They're utterly convinced parliament will never let us leave and there's no point in voting in any referendum or GE ever again. I wonder how many % such people will cost leave, when even a few could be crucial.

And with virtually no one being able to credibly say they like the deal option in that scenario, and endless clips of leavers saying it is terrible (no matter what the deal is)? Deal would be slaughtered in a vote.
  • Options

Congrats, good luck and don't forget to tip the waiters
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There are several aspects of the paragraph 50 test (does the number show baroness Hale has a sense of humour, I wonder) that are highly subjective and which a court will have no proper basis for assessing in anything remotely like law. We are going to have to live with crazy levels of uncertainty until an electorate of 11 decides what is “democratic “. It’s a bloody awful decision not justified by the determination of the government to piss them off.

I don't think that is right. In normal circumstances, no honourable PM would go anywhere near a borderline case, to the extent that there really haven't been any cases in the last 50 years before this one which might have gone to court. Yes, it's true that the judges have left open the possibility of difficult borderline cases, but so what? PMs should just stay unambiguously within the law and within established convention, as they used to. It's not hard.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Another referendum will likely be boycotted by leave. Certainly one with some shandy deal as the only leave option.

There's certainly a chance it will not. I'd like to think I am realistic and think it could get real ugly, and a majority for a party promising leave without a referendum could well win an election held after that, but we've seen many remainers are far more sanguine about that and either think it will all be settled forever, or take the 'just get on with it' message to be in support of remaining, if that ends it, just as some leavers think no deal will 'get on with it' and that will end it too.
  • Options

DavidL said:

There are several aspects of the paragraph 50 test (does the number show baroness Hale has a sense of humour, I wonder) that are highly subjective and which a court will have no proper basis for assessing in anything remotely like law. We are going to have to live with crazy levels of uncertainty until an electorate of 11 decides what is “democratic “. It’s a bloody awful decision not justified by the determination of the government to piss them off.

I don't think that is right. In normal circumstances, no honourable PM would go anywhere near a borderline case, to the extent that there really haven't been any cases in the last 50 years before this one which might have gone to court. Yes, it's true that the judges have left open the possibility of difficult borderline cases, but so what? PMs should just stay unambiguously within the law and within established convention, as they used to. It's not hard.
    Would Major's prorogation have passed the new test ?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Will they boycott a straight no deal vs remain one?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

Yup.

Probably orchestrated by the shadowy KLOBUCHAR
    No one is above the law.

Could it possibly been influenced by the fun had at expense of the English trump today.
  • Options
    Dont forget the referendum boosters are split too. Grieve thinks no deal should be on the ballot
  • Options
    alex. said:

TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Will they boycott a straight no deal vs remain one?
    Parliament will not allow that as a choice. You don't fight so hard to prevent no deal (except in permitting the risk to continue by not voting for a deal) if you are then going to say 'Oh well, if the public say it is ok after all it's ok to risk it'.
  • Options
    Minor point, but if a caretaker/emergency government happens, I really hope they don't try to call it a "government of national unity". People might well think it's the least-worst option from where we are now, but nobody is going to think that it will unify the country. Like with "People's Vote", that attempt at fuzzy and warm branding just confirms that they doth protest too much.
  • Options

Dont forget the referendum boosters are split too. Grieve thinks no deal should be on the ballot

I don't think "No Deal" has the numbers to get on the ballot.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Minor point, but if a caretaker/emergency government happens, I really hope they don't try to call it a "government of national unity". People might well think it's the least-worst option from where we are now, but nobody is going to think that it will unify the country. Like with "People's Vote", that attempt at fuzzy and warm branding just confirms that they doth protest too much.

A Gov't of all the caravans :dizzy:
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Surely the pork barreling over who gets what cabinet appointments etc make it a total impossibility?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Undoubtedly. The abuse of the word 'unity' in recent times has been nothing short of shameless. The term itself is fine, but in this situation let us not pretend it is about national unity, it would be so divorced from reality it just draws parallels with the absurd names of various juntas about the 'Committe to restore democracy and national harmony' or some such bollocks, and it would be unfair on such a government to allow such an easy comparison based on the name.

Transitional government perhaps.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

A government of the 48%?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes but referendum itself is barely going to pass if at all, then they'd need consensus on what to offer....
  • Options
    It will be a shame if TissuePrice wins a seat in Parliament - I do try to stand up for them, but I don't know that it is allowed to respect any of our MPs anymore.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,989
    TGOHF2 said:
    The Classical music aficianados are back slapping, only to be chin scratching when the X factor winners prove to be more popular
  • Options
    Dyedwoolies patented anti incumbency penalty will be in play at the coming election
  • Options
    88% want a general election before or just after 31st October.

https://order-order.com/2019/09/24/snap-poll-vast-majority-want-parliament-get-brexit/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes but referendum itself is barely going to pass if at all, then they'd need consensus on what to offer....
    Not consensus. Just a majority of 1 in the Commons on what to offer.

No it is still not an easy path, but if they remain afraid of what a GE might throw up, a majority of 1 becomes easier to find.
  • Options

Good luck
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363

Congrats, Aaron - exciting!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

No it is still not an easy path, but if they remain afraid of what a GE might throw up, a majority of 1 becomes easier to find.
    If referendum passes by (say) 3 votes, it only takes 2 dissenters and there is no agreement on what is put..... referendum will be difficult to get through as a concept anyway
  • Options

Well done, and good luck!

I hope you'll be a worthy successor to Thomas Thicknesse.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I normally vote in everything (Except that time I wasn't able to vote3 in the Police commissioner election because I didn't get a postal in time) but I think I'd boycott a bullshit 'confirmatory' referendum. I'd go for remain if they had the stones to stick "No Deal" on the ballot.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

John Prescott to be Leader of the HOL?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I imagine so.
  • Options

https://order-order.com/2019/09/24/snap-poll-vast-majority-want-parliament-get-brexit/

Con + Lib-Dem + SNP might be able to get us to a general election from the one line motion route?

And.... We're bacl where we were three weeks ago. Here we go again,
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF2 said:
    The Classical music aficianados are back slapping, only to be chin scratching when the X factor winners prove to be more popular
    The sun don’t even have a voodoo poll to back their bias up.

And hulk v spider woman is a better headline.

What will it take for leavers to come to their senses? What is it you really want? Boris tears throat out of young babies to ensure brexit, and here’s a poll supporting him doing it?

There’s more to this world and country than brexit.
  • Options
    I'm trying to imagine Corbyn sitting ba k while Ma Beckett puts Clarke, Gauke and a load of blairites in cabinet
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Con + Lib-Dem + SNP might be able to get us to a general election from the one line motion route?

Not sure about the Lib Dems, but the SNP repeated tonight that they won't back an election until the extension is signed, sealed, delivered.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I imagine so.
    I'm not sure Attlee's would though!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

DavidL said:

And even in borderline cases, the SC said that they would give governments substantial leeway on the justification for an extended prorogation - provided that they offered such justification.
    Which would have the great merit of forcing the government to be open about its reasons.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Undoubtedly. The abuse of the word 'unity' in recent times has been nothing short of shameless. The term itself is fine, but in this situation let us not pretend it is about national unity, it would be so divorced from reality it just draws parallels with the absurd names of various juntas about the 'Committe to restore democracy and national harmony' or some such bollocks, and it would be unfair on such a government to allow such an easy comparison based on the name.

Transitional government perhaps.
    GNU stands for GNU's Not Unity
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I imagine so.
    For what reason ?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Well done Aaron. There was some today at conference footage of a GMB rep saying that there was no way the country could be net zero by 2030 on bbc2 just now.

Conference was, of course, having none of reality. Not when there was virtue to be signalled.
  • Options
    egg said:

isam said:

TGOHF2 said:

What will it take for leavers to come to their senses? What is it you really want? Boris tears throat out of young babies to ensure brexit, and here’s a poll supporting him doing it?

Let the result stand then and get on with the other stuff
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

If referendum passes by (say) 3 votes, it only takes 2 dissenters and there is no agreement on what is put..... referendum will be difficult to get through as a concept anyway
    I agree, but while parliament has stunned us with its ability to agree on nothing except kicking the can down the road, at some point they are going to agree on something, however minutely, so however improbable any of the various options presently look one of them will occur.

And given Remain is paradoxically both surging in confidence yet rightly concerned a GE might not be to their favour under current polling, that gives an advantage to any option that leads to Remain and does not involve a GE.
  • Options
    That Telegraph ComRes has the question do you have a good understanding of the brexit policy of XYZ party

BXP 52% say yes
    LD 51%
    Con 41%
    Lab 29%
  • Options

Well done, and good luck!

I hope you'll be a worthy successor to Thomas Thicknesse.
    Labour since 1919, isn’t it ?
    Good luck the PB candidate, however unsound on Brexit.

• Options
    kle4 said:

And with virtually no one being able to credibly say they like the deal option in that scenario, and endless clips of leavers saying it is terrible (no matter what the deal is)? Deal would be slaughtered in a vote.

If it's clear that Deal would go down hard and there's no No Deal option then they'd probably be better sticking with TMay-Barnier. But I wonder if Corbyn would go for that.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not sure about the Lib Dems, but the SNP repeated tonight that they won't back an election until the extension is signed, sealed, delivered.
    Sigh, another month of time to be wasted before something happens then. Debates on getting legal advice, or finding people in contempt or something to pass the time. See everyone in a month?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

egg said:

isam said:

TGOHF2 said:

Let the result stand then and get on with the other stuff
    Let it stand, but it’s still not for ever. For how long? Remain or leave now and it could be completely the other way round in 8 years as new ways explored and don’t prove better and the electorate changes.

You leavers are becoming obsessed and consumed by brexit, but what will it really bring you? Something of more value than everything being trashed getting there?

And what is honouring the cherished 2016 result anyway, leave with no deal, full clean break, or only with the promised easy deal, sunlit uplands, brexit dividend to spray around?

You are lost.
  • Options
    egg said:

isam said:

TGOHF2 said:

It's hardly just leavers focused on this issue to exclusion of all else. Clearly both sides think it essential to resolve Brexit before anything else, or else remainers would be a lot more phlegmatic about us leaving in the first place.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Congratulations
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,918

Good luck Aaron.
  • Options

Foxy said:

There was recently some discussion about employment changes in individual US states and someone (Foxy ??) wondered what the corresponding UK situation would be.

Well after looking at more than enough ONS data these are the changes in employment and unemployment rates in the three years since the Referendum:

North East, employment +0.2%, unemployment -2.4%
    North West, employment +2.0%, unemployment -0.8%
    Yorkshire, employment +1.5%, unemployment -1.6%
    East Mid, employment +1.0%, unemployment +0.3%
    West Mid, employment +2.9%, unemployment -2.1%
    East, employment +1.1%, unemployment -0.2%
    London, employment +1.0%, unemployment -1.4%
    South East, employment +1.4%, unemployment -0.6%
    South West, employment +3.5%, unemployment -1.9%
    Wales, employment +1.3%, unemployment -0.3%
    Scotland, employment +1.1%, unemployment -0.9%
    Norn Ire, employment +2.3%, unemployment -2.5%

With the overall UK employment rate increasing by 1.6% and unemployment rate decreasing by 1.1%.

Which means that the West Midlands, South West and Northern Ireland have done better than average on both employment and unemployment rates while East Midlands, East, South East, Wales and Scotland have done worse than average on both measures.

This doesn't give any indication as to variations within each region.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/regionallabourmarket/september2019

It was me, but I was more interested in shorter term changes, perhaps quarterly, as a leading indicator of recession and where it is hitting. Inspired by this:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1175986162105815040?s=19
    The problem is that the ONS regional data is a bit erratic and I suspect that the USA will have similar problems.

For what its worth the change in employment rate from the last quarter is:

West Mids +0.7%
    Norn Ire +0.7%
    South West +0.6%
    East Mids +0.5%
    North East +0.4%
    South East +0.4%
    Yorkshire +0.2%
    East -0.0%
    North West -0.3%
    London -0.6%
    Wales -0.8%
    Scotland -1.0%

Not much of a pattern I'm afraid.
    That’s not good for London, sadly.

Presumably you will be happy about that?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I imagine so.
    For what reason ?
    It was clearly designed to circumvent the normal operation of Parliament and the conventional provisions that limited but respected the rights of the Lords. It stymied the normal procedure. Disrespect for convention and the actual effect of the prorogation was at the heart of the SC judgement.
  • Options

More to the point, why Mags Beckett? Harriet or Kenny Clarke would be a better option.
This discussion has been closed.