Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A NO in the Scottish #IndyRef is not a certainty and bettin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A NO in the Scottish #IndyRef is not a certainty and betting at 1-7 is crazy

Over the past week there have been a number of reports from the bookies about punters place four and five figure bets on NO in the IndyRef at prices as tight as 1/7.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Only a fool would be certain how we Scots will vote. Other than sharing an island there is very little which is similar between the typical Scot and the typical Englishman. For a simple example, look at the profile between many Scottish constituencies and their English counterparts. Where a typical middle class urban seat in England returns a Tory MP election after election, in Scotland a similar seat returns a Labour MP with a high4/5 figure majority. Just look at East Renfrewshire or Edinburgh SW, Stirling or East Lothian.

The more Westminster politicians and London journalists tell the Scots what is "good for them" the greater chance Scots will vote Yes.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,065
    "Other than sharing an island there is very little which is similar between the typical Scot and the typical Englishman."

Do you mean in term of voting habits only, or more generally?
  • Options
    If you are going to bet on 'yes' then presumably you should bet on the double - a yes and then a tory maj at the next GE?
  • Options
    More generally JJ. We tend to have a different attitude to social issues and much else. We have a totally different health service, education system, legal system, water is still publicly owned, no tuition fees, free care for the elderly. Even the age at which someone can marry without parental consent is different.
  • Options

The more Westminster politicians and London journalists tell the Scots what is "good for them" the greater chance Scots will vote Yes.

With London Labour front of the queue......Cameron is wisely keeping out of this - but 'betting the Union' on London Labour being able to pull it off may be the 'least worst' option - but could easily end in tears.....

But I do love the way Scottish Labour have burnt the lifeboats for their Westminster compatriots by selecting for 2015 already......

Clearly a lot of 'emotional' betting going on......
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Can't be any money for "YES" though - not even from uber nats.
  • Options
    A thread on Scotland and nothing about the f-word. Let me get the week going then...

Falkirk
    Stevie
    Grangemouth
    QT
    Ed
    Yvette
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

Only a fool would be certain how we Scots will vote. Other than sharing an island there is very little which is similar between the typical Scot and the typical Englishman. For a simple example, look at the profile between many Scottish constituencies and their English counterparts. Where a typical middle class urban seat in England returns a Tory MP election after election, in Scotland a similar seat returns a Labour MP with a high4/5 figure majority. Just look at East Renfrewshire or Edinburgh SW, Stirling or East Lothian.

While I think your broad point is corect, I would query your 'urban'. Very few 'typical middle class urban' seats in England return a Tory MP either nowadays. Think Sheffield Hallam, Birmingham Edgbaston, Westminster North, for example.
  • Options
    Carlotta the thing most politicians do not seem to recognise is that for most Scots the Indy Referendum is simply not yet on their wavelength. Yes probably just about everyone knows there is going to be a vote soon. Very few could tell you it will be on 18th September 2014. They are more concerned about voting for Strictly or X-Factor and now of course "I'm a nonentity get me into there" is attracting their attention.

Other than when in the company of fellow Scottish political anoraks of any persuasion, no-one mentions the Indy Ref in conversation. Most people will probably start thinking about it round about 17th September 2014. That is Eck's secret weapon. Disinterest.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2013
    Nothing more to see

George Eaton‏@georgeeaton35m
    Miliband on the Balls "nightmare" email on Daybreak: "It’s fair to say that people send silly emails in offices and this was one of them."

At the next PMQs, someone should hand Ed M a nice Flake 99 to pass over to Ed B - that will solve the problem...
  • Options

More generally JJ. We tend to have a different attitude to social issues and much else.

While a wildly held view there is some debate on how true this is:

John Curtice:

So those who hope that independence would pave the way for Scotland to become a markedly more social democratic country that in addition would wish to be in the European fast lane should perhaps not set their expectations too high. At present at least, what Scotland wants looks too similar to what England wants for us to assume that is what would happen.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/10/two-different-countries-scottish-and-english-attitudes-to-equality-and-europe/

Gerry Hassan:

The truth is a little more nuanced and subtle. Scotland is a distinctive country and political culture on many criteria. We don’t vote Tory in any numbers, have a different attitude to the public sector and abhor the marketisation and privatisation of successive Westminster administrations.

Yet there are also commonalities across the UK which cannot be completely ignored – of shared values, institutions and history. Most of these might be weakened in recent times, but they still exist and matter, witness the debate over ‘the social union’.

http://www.gerryhassan.com/blog/scotland-is-different-and-not-that-different-but-what-does-it-mean/
  • Options
    I agree with Mike on that 1-7. Referendums have a kind of reality distortion field, where a good politician can make turn them into a question on some tangential issue rather than the actual question on the ballot paper. And Salmond is one of the most effective politicians in Europe.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Smart posters will know this is the big story of today.

twitter.com/TimGattITV/status/402339131885236224/photo/1
  • Options

A thread on Scotland and nothing about the f-word. Let me get the week going then...

Falkirk
    Stevie
    Grangemouth
    QT
    Ed
    Yvette

I don't see Falkirk getting the typical Scottish voting punter remotely excited. They expect skulduggery between Labour and the unions. The game changer might come IF the Crown Office decides to prosecute someone for something and there is a high profile trial with lots of bloodletting. I just don't see it. It probably wont make much difference to the Labour vote in Falkirk at GE2015. The red rosette wins every time.
  • Options
    Never mind Ed's new hair style, has he lost a lot of weight recently? His face looks leaner and he has lost the geeky look. Much as though it pains me to say so, it suits him.
  • Options

Falkirk
    Stevie
    Grangemouth
    QT
    Ed
    Yvette

I don't see Falkirk getting the typical Scottish voting punter remotely excited. They expect skulduggery between Labour and the unions. The game changer might come IF the Crown Office decides to prosecute someone for something and there is a high profile trial with lots of bloodletting. I just don't see it. It probably wont make much difference to the Labour vote in Falkirk at GE2015. The red rosette wins every time.
    Don't spoil the wind up....
  • Options
    Miliband seems to have another bank tax on the cards - he 's surfaced into the bear pit of Tv am...
  • Options
    Och aye tha noo, my fellow Britons.

F1: not the greatest race in history. Not profitable either. But there are reasons to be cheerful. The next season should be shaken up a lot, and the very next race is one of my favourites:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/america-post-race-analysis.html
  • Options

Other than when in the company of fellow Scottish political anoraks of any persuasion, no-one mentions the Indy Ref in conversation. Most people will probably start thinking about it round about 17th September 2014. That is Eck's secret weapon. Disinterest.

Furthermore the Scots are also uninterested.

• Options

More generally JJ. We tend to have a different attitude to social issues and much else. We have a totally different health service, education system, legal system, water is still publicly owned, no tuition fees, free care for the elderly. Even the age at which someone can marry without parental consent is different.

I would disagree. You were not talking about the system, but people "typical Scot and the typical Englishman". And on that point you're well off mark.

For one thing, what is a typical Scot? A kilt-wearing, bagpipe-playing not-drinking-on-Sundays man from Jura, or the suit-wearing financial services guy born and raised in Edinburgh? Proud Scotsman both.

We have had the same discussion on here in the past about variations within England.

But even when it comes to the systems, we are remarkably similar. Even the Scots law is similar: I can got to Scotland and be fairly aware of what I can and cannot do. We drive on the same side of the road. We share a common language. You go to the toilet and, I hate to tell you, so do the English.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2013

Never mind Ed's new hair style, has he lost a lot of weight recently? His face looks leaner and he has lost the geeky look. Much as though it pains me to say so, it suits him.

Moral: Pick your leader based on their strategic ability and their willingness to do what it takes, not the way they look and sound. If they've got enough of the former, they'll fix the latter with training and surgery.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    TGOHF said:

Miliband seems to have another bank tax on the cards - he 's surfaced into the bear pit of Tv am...

I presume the Co-op would be exempt from this umpteenth bank tax due to all their dodgy debts????

Incidentally great spot from somone on here yesterday (sorry can't remember who for the hat tip) on Ed Balls own website - just to remind everyone:

In that role I was also able to give the Treasury’s support for a new Private Members Bill that led to the creation of the first ever ‘super-mutual’ bringing Britannia Building Society and the Co-op Bank together in the interests of customers, rather than the banking elite.

http://www.edballs.co.uk/blog/?p=1066
  • Options
    tim said:

Ed looks lean compared to the bloated Dave.
    Eight years as leader taking its toll

so that's why he keeps tubby Balls as his Shadow Chancellor?

I couldnt' see the reason until then. Thanks.

Caesar: Let me have men about me that are fat, Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look, He thinks too much; ...

• Options
    Rightmove latest monthly house prices -5% in London, national -2.4%.

Bubble popped already. .
  • Options
    Speaking of weight and Miliband's appearance on Daybreak - has Aled Jones been eating a few too many pies?
  • Options

But even when it comes to the systems, we are remarkably similar. Even the Scots law is similar: I can got to Scotland and be fairly aware of what I can and cannot do. We drive on the same side of the road. We share a common language. You go to the toilet and, I hate to tell you, so do the English.

If that's your attitude, I would avoid getting arrested in Scotland. As Lord Maugham once put it, the legal system there consists of 'those interesting relics of barbarism, tempered by a few importations from Rome, known to the world as Scots law.’ It is an utter backwater.

• Options
    We shouldn't judge a chap by how he looks or how much he weighs. Losing weight isn't always good.

As a chap once wrote: "Impiety has made a feast of thee."
  • Options
    tim said:

Turnip soup diet - solidarity with the workers (all 1 million more of them ).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

So far every live debate I have watched , where they had a vote at the end it has been a resounding YES. Labour are starting to tear themselves apart and it is Labour votes that will win the referendum for YES.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

I agree with Mike on that 1-7. Referendums have a kind of reality distortion field, where a good politician can make turn them into a question on some tangential issue rather than the actual question on the ballot paper. And Salmond is one of the most effective politicians in Europe.

Anything less than evens is a bad bet on this.
  • Options
    *** Betting Post ***

Paddy Power

Conservatives 9/2 Elmet & Rothwell

8.1% majority, incumbancy bonus, pro Conservative demographic change

By comparison:

Con most seats 11/8
    Con overall majority 3/1

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    "Look at the gender gap, insurmountable"

I don't know, perhaps Ed could appear on Top Gear and show that he's one of the lads. He'll do just about anything to be PM.
  • Options
    On the Crystal Methodist Peston has been doing some digging - a COOP politician, his enemies had simply assumed that the FSA would block his appointment to Chairman of the COOP bank and were dumbstruck when it was waved through in March 2010.....another triumph for the Brown/Balls regulatory regime....R4 are replaying his Select Ctte humiliation - what are the COOP bank's assets? "£3bn".... I'll think you'll find its £47bn....
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

Quite like Carola's theory that Dave piled on the pounds comfort eating when he realised he wasn't up to the job.
    Are there any videos left of him four years ago on the net or did the operation to expunge all the evidence of his creeping bloaterdom succeed?

The Dave Diet - Eat all you want just make sure you destroy all the old photos
    Ed has been on what you are left to troll with.

Thin gruel.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Hideaway said one true thing today "Every office sends silly e-mails sometimes" they certainly do...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I've tended to agree with the notion that 2010 was a good election to lose. After 1945 and nearly six years of sacrifice and coalition, the electorate thanked Churchill by turfing him out and bringing in softy Clem.

Perhaps Cameron needs a world crisis in April 2015 or two black swan events.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

Quite like Carola's theory that Dave piled on the pounds comfort eating when he realised he wasn't up to the job.
    Are there any videos left of him four years ago on the net or did the operation to expunge all the evidence of his creeping bloaterdom succeed?

The Dave Diet - Eat all you want just make sure you destroy all the old photos
    lol, tell us again how Theresa May's weight loss was due to her preparing a leadership bid and not her diabetes. You've got poor form on diet matters.
  • Options
    Business bashing Ed:

The Labour leader said that big banks are making “very big profits” and can “afford a bit more to help families.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10456531/Ed-Miliband-Banks-will-use-big-profits-to-fund-extra-childcare.html
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Scotland's jobs market has put on its best performance since before the recession, according to a survey of recruitment agencies.

The Bank of Scotland Report on Jobs for October recorded another sharp rise in the number of people finding both permanent and temporary jobs.

Recruiters largely linked the latest improvement to greater client demand.

The survey suggested demand for permanent staff rose at its sharpest pace since July 2007.

It also found a further sharp deterioration in availability of staff.

Permanent salaries also rose at a strong pace in October, although the rate of growth eased from September's six-year peak.

The survey results provide further evidence of a strengthening Scottish economy.

Official data released last week showed employment in Scotland increased by 16,000 over the three months to September, following a sharp rise in the previous set of figures.

And Scottish retailers reported a "tentative boost" in sales for October, with total sales increasing year-on-year by 2.1%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-24971448
  • Options
    edited November 2013

On the Crystal Methodist Peston has been doing some digging - a COOP politician, his enemies had simply assumed that the FSA would block his appointment to Chairman of the COOP bank and were dumbstruck when it was waved through in March 2010.....another triumph for the Brown/Balls regulatory regime....R4 are replaying his Select Ctte humiliation - what are the COOP bank's assets? "£3bn".... I'll think you'll find its £47bn....

I think Crystal Meth is a reasonable drug for a bank chairman to be taking around 2010. The real regulator failure was before the Lehman Shock, when the FSA allowed City traders to be using the kind of drugs that exacerbated reckless trading instead of the kind that prevented it. There would have been far fewer problems if they'd been doing random drug testing to pick up financial institutions that were using too much cocaine and/or smoking too little weed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited November 2013
    CD13 said:

Perhaps Cameron needs a world crisis in April 2015 or two black swan events.

The Scots might easily provide one.....

"Vote Con for a fair deal for England"
  • Options
    I've been backing Yes for nearly 2 years now for a variety of reasons

1) The campaign proper doesn't start until June 2014, we saw in 2012 what The Olympics and the Diamond Jubilee did for the Unionist cause, the indyref which will happen in the background of the Commonwealth Games, The Anniversary of Bannockburn and the forthcoming Ryder Cup, so who knows what those events will do for the Independence side

2) The polls, generally show a large No lead, you can see how this lead starts to fall slightly, panic, chaos, bedlam and anarchy will reign in the BetterTogether side, and the Yes side will have the big mo.

3) Hoping the Unionist stay together, will be a challenge, remember there's 6 parties involved, The Tories, Lab and the Lib Dems, and their Scottish cousins. Big ask

4) Whilst Darling maybe impressive to some, some will remember him as the Chancellor who presided over the biggest and deepest recession since records began.

5) Everyone focusses upon Salmond, but the Yes side can call upon Nicola Sturgeon, who always impresses, I mean who can no call upon? Iain Gray?

6) There are some Tories who will be doing their utmost to see Scotland leave the Union, so Rump UK can have perpetual Tory rule.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

I've got some Scots in my mongrel mixture, and don't altogether agree. You get that kind of difference in voting habit elsewhere too - people in the East Midlands vote Labour where very similar people in the southwest vote LibDem. Taken as a range of types, people across Britain (I'd personally say across Europe) are much less different than we think.

Mike is clearly right that 1-7 is a bonkers price. But it would be unusual for what appears to be a fairly settled view for the status quo to reverse within a year. I'm old enough to remember the EEC referendum - the press kept printing stories about setbacks for the "stay in" campaign but the public just shrugged and voted at the end much as they'd been planning to all along.

Do any of the referendum polls have the "Might you change your mind?" question? Might be useful in assessing this.

• Options
    That said, there's two big events the yes side can't control

1) The EU's opinion on whether post Independence there will be an automaticity to Scotland's EU membership, this position will probably be determined by events in Madrid.

2) Will rump UK allow a currency union with an Independent Scotland
  • Options
    Wilson, Callaghan, Heath, Brown...all heavy lads
  • Options

If that's your attitude, I would avoid getting arrested in Scotland. As Lord Maugham once put it, the legal system there consists of 'those interesting relics of barbarism, tempered by a few importations from Rome, known to the world as Scots law.’ It is an utter backwater.

In some ways, yes. In terms of right-to-roam and other things, it is more advanced than it's larger neighbour (from my perspective at least).

But the point remains: I can go to Scotland and do things with more certainty that they are legal than I could if I went to (say) the US.On a sidenote, I've always found Japanese laws quite perplexing. As for China...

As a law expert, what is your opinion of the Scots "Not proven" verdict? It's always seemed like an odd one to me as a distinctly non-expert.
  • Options

That might work, but on the other hand English and Welsh voters won't necessarily see the negotiation as zero-sum. If you've got customers in Scotland, or relatives from Scotland, or kids who want to go to university in Scotland, you might be more interested in the government making sure it goes as smoothly as possible than making sure the English end got the most it possibly could out of the negotiation.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24984680

Labour/co-op politics...murkier than murk..
  • Options

*** Betting Post ***

Paddy Power

By comparison:

Con most seats 11/8
    Con overall majority 3/1

Certainly an interesting contest should Labour's poll leads narrow, but right now Electoral Calculus shows this as being a comfortable gain for them with a 64.6% chance of winning. Curiously they are prdicting an alarming collapse in the LibDem vote from 16.3% to just 4.0%.

Taxi!

• Options

3) Hoping the Unionist stay together, will be a challenge, remember there's 6 parties involved, The Tories, Lab and the Lib Dems, and their Scottish cousins. Big ask

Labour can't stick working with toxic Better Together

MANY Labour activists "simply cannot stomach" working alongside the Conservatives in the pro-Union Better Together campaign, the chairman of Scottish Labour has admitted.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/labour-cant-stick-working-with-toxic-better-together.22716960

That wasn't in London Labour's script......
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013
    On topic: Mike is right. Whilst a No is the most likely result, it's not an 87.5% probability, which is what it would need to be for the 1/7 to be value-neutral, let alone a good bet. (And that's without factoring in the downside that you've got to tie up your money for nearly a year). There are always uncertainties in politics, and there's plenty of time for events to intervene or for sentiment to shift.

Does that make the other side of the bet value? Here you've got a good bet if the probability of a Yes is substantially more than 16.7%. Personally I'm not tempted at that price; I think there might be a smidgen of value there, but in my judgement not enough to make this a compelling bet.
  • Options

1) The EU's opinion on whether post Independence there will be an automaticity to Scotland's EU membership, this position will probably be determined by events in Madrid.

Is there any progress on figuring this one out? Southam Observer posted a thing a while back where a Commissioner seemed to be saying an independent Catalonia wouldn't automatically be a member, but IIRC the official position was that there wouldn't be an official position unless a member state asked the Commission for one. Is the UK trying to get to the bottom of this, or are they trying to keep it vague?
  • Options

Business bashing Ed:

The Labour leader said that big banks are making “very big profits” and can “afford a bit more to help families.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10456531/Ed-Miliband-Banks-will-use-big-profits-to-fund-extra-childcare.html

That'll be what, the 15th time labour have spent that money?
  • Options

That said, there's two big events the yes side can't control

2) Will rump UK allow a currency union with an Independent Scotland

Neither of which will be answered until after the vote.......

On the EU my bet would be that Scotland stay in but have no voting rights until all the haggling is done. On currency Union it rather depends on what Westminster's terms are....and who is in power in Westminster and Edinburgh.....
  • Options

Business bashing Ed:

What if they don't make profits (e.g. 2009-2010)?
  • Options

Is there any progress on figuring this one out? Southam Observer posted a thing a while back where a Commissioner seemed to be saying an independent Catalonia wouldn't automatically be a member, but IIRC the official position was that there wouldn't be an official position unless a member state asked the Commission for one. Is the UK trying to get to the bottom of this, or are they trying to keep it vague?
    Not sure, but there's a really Omertà on this.

Then again, there's this

EUROPEAN Union leaders are downplaying an independent Scotland’s right to EU membership to compel it to join the euro, open its borders and pay more towards the European budget, according to a senior German government adviser.

EU treaties are “consistent with automatic succession of both the seceding state and the rump state” but international leaders “have a vested interest in centralisation” and “are biased against secession”, said Professor Dr Roland Vaubel, an adviser to Germany’s economics ministry.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-eu-leaders-secession-bias-1-3144158
  • Options
    Dan says what all the smart posters are thinking today:

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges1m
    Has anyone got a list of how many different things Labour's Banking Levy is supposed to be spent on?
  • Options

That "EU Commissioner" was also a Spanish politician whose views on Catalonia may not be entirely objective. The position of both the EU and the UK is "we don't deal in hypotheticals".....the question will be asked, if at all, in September 2014.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Peston makes 2 A class points regarding Flowers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24984680

"So how on earth did he end up on 29 March 2010 becoming chairman of the Co-operative Bank - a bank with £50bn of assets, £36bn of customer deposits and 4.7m customers?"

"PS I am told Flowers used his platform as Co-op chairman to increase his influence with senior members of the Labour Party. He was on a finance and advisory group set up by the Labour leader, Ed Miliband."
  • Options
    Banks, like any other business, do not have to make a profit.
  • Options

Business bashing Ed:

No, I think this is a new one - though of course what impact a "profits levy" has on bonuses for the "Bankers Bonus Tax" is unexplained.....
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

That might work, but on the other hand English and Welsh voters won't necessarily see the negotiation as zero-sum. If you've got customers in Scotland, or relatives from Scotland, or kids who want to go to university in Scotland, you might be more interested in the government making sure it goes as smoothly as possible than making sure the English end got the most it possibly could out of the negotiation.
    There would be a good discussion around the topic of the incompetent fops in Labour who devised a constitutional nightmare that arrived in the position of an independent Scotland, and the lack of legitimacy that they have to be involved in the settlement terms and conditions. It would be a shame to let them influence the outcome to achieve the opposite of their intention again.

For the record, I would rather No won, I expect Yes to win, and the Northern region should be allowed to do as it wishes.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    "Just remember how two and a half years ago LAB was riding high in the Scottish polls and look set to win back power at the May 2011 Holyrood elections. There was even talk of securing a victory that would mean that they could govern on their own. "

Indeed. Some of us well remember the rhetoric coming from scottish labour and some Blairites at the time. A 2011 win was all but inevitable given the double digit poll leads from SLAB, while those polls were scrutinised for such things as gender gaps showing how vastly unlikely an SNP win was. Which of course led to SLAB doubling down on their negative strategy since it MUST clearly be working. Except of course it wasn't as the SNP landslide then proved.

We then got carnage in SLAB with Labour's london leadership of SLAB 100% sure about one thing. It couldn't have been their fault.

They might have been giving the orders but Iain Gray and SLAB must have carried them out incompetently. Obviously what was needed was a "root and branch reform" of how labour operate in scotland. Just how laughable does little Ed's root and branch reform of scottish labour sound after the ludicrous incompetence and corruption of Falkirk? Exactly. :)

So now they are all set to repeat 2011 even down to bringing back Iain Gray and almost all those behind the 2011 election strategy. But they'll definitely have learned from last time and won't repeat the staggering complacency of Labour in 2011. Won't they?

*chortle*
  • Options

That "EU Commissioner" was also a Spanish politician whose views on Catalonia may not be entirely objective. The position of both the EU and the UK is "we don't deal in hypotheticals".....the question will be asked, if at all, in September 2014.

That was my first assumption when SO posted the story, but after that there was something like (IIRC) a confirmation from the Commission press officer. Your take on the official position sounds right, though.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013

It's a fairly meaningless question. Of course in practice an independent Scotland will end up joining the EU - the question is on what terms. Whatever the lawyers say, there can't be anything 'automatic' about it, because there are all sorts of things which would have to be agreed by negotiation, such as the size of the budget contribution, the number of commissioners, Schengen, a dérogation on joining the Eurozone, etc etc etc.

Quite why Salmond doesn't just say this, rather than blustering on about some God-given automatic right to get everything he wants and nothing he doesn't want, is a mystery. But then, that seems to be his position on everything, as we've seen in the arguments about the currency.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited November 2013
    @Slackbladder

Peston being a complete four letter fellow - the time to have been digging on Flowers was whist he was being touted as Chairman of Co-Op Bank. If Peston had his ear to the ground and was using his 'contacts' surely the doubts would have have been aired earlier. The weaknesses in the Co-Op Bank's governance have not suddenly emerged, they were there in 2001, 2008 and 2013 regardless of Rev Flowers' substance use. The article makes me wonder why was this brushed aside and ignored earlier.

"There's also an important governance issue for the Co-op Group, about whether it is really appropriate for those who rise up through the political side of the co-operative movement to be able to exercise significant influence over its commercial activities.

At the bank, of course, the stable door was closed after the horse was long gone. Flowers was replaced as Co-op Bank chairman by a proper banker, Richard Pym.

PS I am told Flowers used his platform as Co-op chairman to increase his influence with senior members of the Labour Party. He was on a finance and advisory group set up by the Labour leader, Ed Miliband."
  • Options

Business bashing Ed:

If the banks are making so much money, how come:

The taxpayer is still losing £billions on the rescue of RBS

Barclays have recently been forced to push through a deeply-discounted rights issue

The Co-op bank ..... enough said.

Northern Rock ....... -- ditto --

And then of course there's HSBC which makes most of its profits overseas and increasingly so.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited November 2013

*** Betting Post ***

Paddy Power

By comparison:

Con most seats 11/8
    Con overall majority 3/1

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_c_e.html#ElmetandRothwell

34.8% chance of a CON win there - this is on the same calculation basis that gives Labour an 81% chance of an outright majority. 9/2 is an implied 18% chance - Head to P Power and hit max.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    The EU won't try to exclude Scotland - they like having new members, and mostly feel that even including Turkey would be pretty cool. A more promising line for the No campaign is to argue that the EU will require Scotland to join the Euro - the rules on that are explicit IIRC; new members join, no ifs and buts, and the EU may not want to knock a hole in that.

Incidentally, the EU-Ukraine talks are struggling - the deal needs to be signed off this month or probably wait until 2015 for technical/political reasons (EU Parliament elections, new Commission etc.). Yanukovich has visited Putin for a confidential meeting (Russia is dead keen he shouldn't sign and has offered Russian goodies if he doesn't) and his MPs have stalled in Parliament on whether to release Julia Tymoshenko, which is an EU red line (rightly IMO - her sentence was an obvious stitchup): in theory they will not meet again in time to approve a release. In reality Yanukovich can make it all happen if he wants to and he may be just playing brinkmanship, but it looked a sure thing and it's become a toss-up. It's quite a significant moment - if Ukraine drifts back towards Russia the long-term power balance changes.
  • Options
    Ed opened his speech by praising the Co-op: “You have always understood that ethics of responsibility, co-operation and stewardship must be at the heart of what we do. That’s one of the reasons why the Co-op Bank has in the last week seen a 25% rise in applications for accounts.” He introduced the Shadow Chancellor, Ed Balls, who was standing alongside him, as “a proud Labour and Co-operative MP”.

The Labour Leader made clear his vision of an economy that rewarded long-termism, patient investment and shared responsibility, and of a financial industry based on Stewardship banking, recognising its responsibility to serve the real economy and to build a long-term, trusted relationship with their customer.
    Later, during questions, Ed Balls said that five years ago building societies and credit unions were regarded as a relic of the past by the City, but that instead the City needed to learn the lessons of the mutual sector.

http://www.party.coop/2012/07/09/ed-miliband-mp-sets-out-his-banking-reform-plans-at-the-co-operative-bank-hq/
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@Slackbladder

Peston being a complete four letter fellow - the time to have been digging on Flowers was whist he was being touted as Chairman of Co-Op Bank. If Peston had his ear to the ground and was using his 'contacts' surely the doubts would have have been aired earlier. The weaknesses in the Co-Op Bank's governance have not suddenly emerged, they were there in 2001, 2008 and 2013 regardless of Rev Flowers' substance use. The article makes me wonder why was this brushed aside and ignored earlier.

"There's also an important governance issue for the Co-op Group, about whether it is really appropriate for those who rise up through the political side of the co-operative movement to be able to exercise significant influence over its commercial activities.

At the bank, of course, the stable door was closed after the horse was long gone. Flowers was replaced as Co-op Bank chairman by a proper banker, Richard Pym.

PS I am told Flowers used his platform as Co-op chairman to increase his influence with senior members of the Labour Party. He was on a finance and advisory group set up by the Labour leader, Ed Miliband."

Sir Desmond Glazebrook would turn in his grave.
  • Options

Business bashing Ed:

If the banks are making so much money, how come:

The taxpayer is still losing £billions on the rescue of RBS

Barclays have recently been forced to push through a deeply-discounted rights issue

The Co-op bank ..... enough said.

Northern Rock ....... -- ditto --

And then of course there's HSBC which makes most of its profits overseas and increasingly so.

Let's be honest - by bigging up the Co op - including making a a speech at their HQ - and by appointing Mr £3Bn vs £47Bn crackhead to a finance advisory group, Ed Miliband has lost all authority to talk about banks and banking - he hasn't a clue.

http://www.party.coop/2012/07/09/ed-miliband-mp-sets-out-his-banking-reform-plans-at-the-co-operative-bank-hq/

"Ed opened his speech by praising the Co-op: “You have always understood that ethics of responsibility, co-operation and stewardship must be at the heart of what we do.

That’s one of the reasons why the Co-op Bank has in the last week seen a 25% rise in applications for accounts.” He introduced the Shadow Chancellor, Ed Balls, who was standing alongside him, as “a proud Labour and Co-operative MP”."

• Options
    edited November 2013

*** Betting Post ***

Paddy Power

By comparison:

Con most seats 11/8
    Con overall majority 3/1

Certainly an interesting contest should Labour's poll leads narrow, but right now Electoral Calculus shows this as being a comfortable gain for them with a 64.6% chance of winning. Curiously they are prdicting an alarming collapse in the LibDem vote from 16.3% to just 4.0%.

Taxi!

They have Labour majority probability calculated at 81%.... 64.6% to win this seat is by no means a certainty. And hmm If I lose this bet I should probably win more profitable ones - its a v nice hedge for me...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Easterross - Polls show more English voters want Scottish independence than Scots, so the Scots could end up voting NO just to annoy the English
  • Options
    One thing I've learned about political outcomes is that relatively 'open and shut' cases don't necessarily mean people will vote the sensible way. You can muster a million reasons why Labour are a ruinous disease on our country - but they're ahead in the polls. You can muster any number of reasons why Scotland would be at terrible risk from going it alone - but they may still vote for it.

People vote with their hearts not their heads it seems. Stupid gits.

I guess those, like me, who are naturally of a more logical input->output, cause->effect mindset find the peverse decisions of others a bit bewildering. But a successful (in getting elected anyway) politician must feel this innately and message accordingly. Martin Luther King said 'I have a dream' not 'I have plan'!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

*** Betting Post ***

Paddy Power

By comparison:

Con most seats 11/8
    Con overall majority 3/1

34.8% chance of a CON win there - this is on the same calculation basis that gives Labour an 81% chance of an outright majority. 9/2 is an implied 18% chance - Head to P Power and hit max.
    Thanks to a-r for the tip - unfortunately I was too late.

The 6.5 on Con to retain Dewsbury (Labour target number 21) is also a goody.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

The EU won't try to exclude Scotland - they like having new members, and mostly feel that even including Turkey would be pretty cool. A more promising line for the No campaign is to argue that the EU will require Scotland to join the Euro - the rules on that are explicit IIRC; new members join, no ifs and buts, and the EU may not want to knock a hole in that.

There is an if though - or rather, there's an and, which is the same thing as an if, given lazy evaluation:

be_in_the_ERM_for_a_while() AND join_the_euro()

...is functionally identical to:

if be_in_the_ERM_for_a_while():
     join_the_euro()

But I suppose this would be a good thing to create fud about.
  • Options
    tim said:

@RichardNabavi

Can I just say how delighted I am with your campaign to focus on the party leaders ethics in the run up to 2015.

I must have missed your post this morning praising Cam for influencing google and Bing ....

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

@RichardNabavi

Can I just say how delighted I am with your campaign to focus on the party leaders ethics in the run up to 2015.

I must have missed your post this morning praising Cam for influencing google and Bing ....

It's a good thing.
    As opposed to spending the equivalent of the CEOP budget on his Algarve PR gig.
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

@RichardNabavi

It's a good thing.
    As opposed to spending the equivalent of the CEOP budget on his Algarve PR gig.
    Don't worry - the bankers bonus tax will pay for that - and everything else.
  • Options

Given Labour's negotiating history over the EU I think the Conservatives would have plenty of ammunition - "Give away Labour!" If the Scots have voted to leave the party I doubt the English will see any need to be generous. Fair yes. Generous no.

As the Scottish referendum looms, a beautiful friendship risks being replaced by bitter enmity

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100246275/as-the-scottish-referendum-looms-a-beautiful-friendship-risks-being-replaced-by-bitter-emnity/
  • Options

So much like Ireland or New Zealand then?
    Whenever this topic comes up, the line tends to be because of our similarities, the differences are negligible. No one (I hope) would seriously say that the order of difference is the same as that between e.g. Kalahari Bushmen and Sami reindeer herders, but Scotland is certainly as culturally, politically and socially distinct from England as Ireland.

On topic, as Stuart D. has been saying for a while, 1/7 is a ridiculous price for a 2 horse race, particularly when we won't know the going or weights for 8 or 9 months.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    TGOHF said:

Bubble popped already. .

Ha, ha, ha

1,000 hours of BBC handwringing news coverage and 10,000 of poor Tim's post wiped out at a single stroke.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Pulpstar said:

*** Betting Post ***

Paddy Power

By comparison:

Con most seats 11/8
    Con overall majority 3/1

Thanks to a-r for the tip - unfortunately I was too late.

The 6.5 on Con to retain Dewsbury (Labour target number 21) is also a goody.
    Thanks Richard, £13.62 max on that to win £89.83 - Again I expect it to be a loser but various other bets should come in if that doesn't. Quick finger in the air calculation - I think this should be a 3-1 chance or thereabouts.
  • Options

So much like Ireland or New Zealand then?
    Whenever this topic comes up, the line tends to be because of our similarities, the differences are negligible. No one (I hope) would seriously say that the order of difference is the same as that between e.g. Kalahari Bushmen and Sami reindeer herders, but Scotland is certainly as culturally, politically and socially distinct from England as Ireland.

On topic, as Stuart D. has been saying for a while, 1/7 is a ridiculous price for a 2 horse race, particularly when we won't know the going or weights for 8 or 9 months.
    " Scotland is certainly as culturally, politically and socially distinct from England as Ireland."

Nope, don't agree with that. Note I would not say the differences are negligible. They are not negligible; but they are not particularly large, either. IMHO, obviously.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited November 2013

" Scotland is certainly as culturally, politically and socially distinct from England as Ireland."

Nope, don't agree with that. Note I would not say the differences are negligible. They are not negligible; but they are not particularly large, either. IMHO, obviously.

What are the greater Irish differences then? Language and driving on the left were your original definitions of similarity.

• Options

Business bashing Ed:

What if they don't make profits (e.g. 2009-2010)?

Relying on banks to fund the welfare state.......haven't learned a thing, have they?

And, schools are now to become glorified childminders.

• Options
    Regular readers may have been under the impression that house price inflation was so rampant , so out of control, that Estate agents would have been pressurising clients to ramp up asking prices....

It's so out of control that that vested interest group Estate Agents are er.. tempering expectations.

Lol.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thanks Richard, £13.62 max on that to win £89.83 - Again I expect it to be a loser but various other bets should come in if that doesn't. Quick finger in the air calculation - I think this should be a 3-1 chance or thereabouts.

Yeah, on UNS it's not far off being equivalent to Con Most Seats. Of course, any individual seat might have special local factors which might make you think UNS won't apply, but they can't all be special.
  • Options

What are the greater Irish differences then? Language and driving on the left were your original definitions of similarity.
    They were not my definitions, just examples.

Religion is a biggie, if you are talking about social aspects. Ireland (if we are talking about Eire) is very Catholic, and the church appears to play a much greater part in people's lives (especially in the country areas) than it does in Scotland. It also plays a large part in setting the laws in Eire.

However, I have not been to Eire much (although I plan to walk its coast one day), so these might just be tourists' impressions. ;-)
  • Options
    tim said:

Schards said:

TGOHF said:

Bubble popped already. .

Ha, ha, ha

1,000 hours of BBC handwringing news coverage and 10,000 of poor Tim's post wiped out at a single stroke.
    Using an index based on asking prices is silly enough, drawing conclusions from one which also states

"New seller asking prices drop by 2.4% (-£6,181) in line with normal pre-Christmas trend" is a special kind of PB Tory stupid.
    Rightmove state:

"- Bubble-preventing Mortgage Market Review bares teeth as estate agents report few Help to Buy mortgage applications have so far been approved"

I'm amazed no one on PB pointed out that the fact that all Help to Buy mortgages must be on a repayment basis and subject to strick affordibility criteria meant that the hyperbolic 'bubble' talk was ill infomed nonsense.

Oh well
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    tim said:

Post-recession Britain: Exec pay jumps 14% while average wages increase by just 0.7%

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/11/18/post-recession-britain-exec-pay-jumps-14-while-average-wages

Only 20 times the rate?

The upside is that these people pay 47% of what they earn in excess of £150k a year to the exchequer. Average wages will pick up in due course, maybe just in time for 2015.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, on UNS it's not far off being equivalent to Con Most Seats. Of course, any individual seat might have special local factors which might make you think UNS won't apply, but they can't all be special.
    Shock results in Kingswood, Elmet & Dewsbury & Dewsbury see Ed Miliband reduced to 3 seats whilst the conservatives sweep the board in the rest of the country. We ask Pulpstar how he feels about this result.... ;)
  • Options

Religion is a biggie, if you are talking about social aspects. Ireland (if we are talking about Eire) is very Catholic, and the church appears to play a much greater part in people's lives (especially in the country areas) than it does in Scotland. It also plays a large part in setting the laws in Eire.

However, I have not been to Eire much (although I plan to walk its coast one day), so these might just be tourists' impressions. ;-)
    Is the influence of Rome increasing in Scotland but decreasing in Ireland ?

• Options
    tim : "Using an index based on asking prices is silly enough"

5 mins later...

tim : ""House sellers' asking prices have risen at their fastest annual rate since 2007"

No further questions m'lud.

• Options
    Sorry Tim, mea culpa, not used to the new economics:

GDP Growth = Irrelevent
    Falling Unemployment = A bad, inflationary thing
    Falling asking prices = BOOM!!!
  • Options

I'd avoid calling it Eire when you're there.
    If you've visited the Western Isles you should be aware of how much religion is a part of life there, not to mention the historical wreckage left in the West of Scotland. I'd also suggest that religion plays its part in a more communitarian Scottish society, in the collective memory if not living faith.

• Options
    Ed Balls on the Agenda on ITV tonight.

Tory stooge Bradbury with the questions..

• Options
    I don't think the house price thing is neither here nor there - on either side. Most people aren't going to worry till they come to sell their house, and whilst a gently rising undercurrent of rising prices isn't a bad thing for a feelgood factor its necessary but not sufficient and won't shift votes methinks.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

No and yes.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

No idea. Looking at the stats (from Wikipedia at least), Scotland is less Christian than England, which I find surprising. Then again, I've spent a lot of time amongst rural Scots, who give the impression of being fairly religious. For instance one B&B would happily give me (free) drinks on the Saturday and Monday nights, but not allow me to drink on a Sunday.

It may be very different in the cities.
This discussion has been closed.