Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Courts should be an emergency backstop to parliament, not

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,795
    Good side the Canaries reserves...
  • Options
    Omnium said:

It’s very hard to get a man to understand something when his argument depends on him not understanding it.

It's hard to get clarity when people are blowing smoke.

Let's not argue though, lets step through the arguments and find out where it is we disagree.

Do you agree that a pure democratic vote is generally thought of in such a way that participation implicitly suggests that you'll agree to be bound by the result?

Do you agree that the Brexit referendum wasn't of this pure type?

I'm assuming that you'll agree, but I'll await your reply.

The only question worth considering is why the referendum was not given direct binding effect. Why do you think that was?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup..
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

Yes of course. The decision, although apparently binary, was anything but. The whole idea of a referendum shaped in the way it was, was daft beyond belief. I didn't see it at the time though, and I don't think others did either.

In some weak sense though we did all (those that voted and those that stayed home) vote to leave. That weak sense and how we hang on to it is exactly what democracy is in the uk. Difficult though it may be i'm pretty keen to hang on to it.

In a weak sense, as in homeopathically weak.
    The result of a vote does not bind the voters to change their mind, nor does it bind the voters to avoid trying actively through the ballot box to reverse it.

If you stop and think about that proposition "we voted so you must agree under all circumstance not to do anything to change that", you are not describing democracy, but the END of democracy.

Fundamentally, democracy is a method. Individual decisions can be followed through, modified or even entirely reversed within that method.
    We voted to decide as to how to proceed on a proposition. By voting we all agreed that we'd abide by our collective decision.
    Obviously you misunderstood badly.

It was only an advisory referendum, so by voting we all agreed that the government wouldn't be bound by the decision.

It's too late to try to go back on what you agreed now!
    @kle4 suggests that the nature of advisory referenda is well known. He may be right, but I hope you and he will forgive me if I'm not convinced.

The idea that we should have a referendum to simply establish a proposition that the government wouldn't be bound by is preposterous. There would simply be no point in such a thing.
    Does Manchester have a mayor?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

Omnium said:

It’s very hard to get a man to understand something when his argument depends on him not understanding it.

Let's not argue though, lets step through the arguments and find out where it is we disagree.

Do you agree that a pure democratic vote is generally thought of in such a way that participation implicitly suggests that you'll agree to be bound by the result?

The only question worth considering is why the referendum was not given direct binding effect. Why do you think that was?
    I don't know.

However you are avoiding my questions above in a very politician like way.

Why do you think that is?

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714

Not exactly. It must be treated very seriously. But if circumstances change or if the original prospectus turns out to be flawed, it can be looked at again.

Parliament overturning referendums has precedent, and recent ones at that.

Genuine question - which one(s)? It certainly isn't a UK wide one (yet). Are you referring to the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum, which had a turnout requirement applied to it BEFORE the vote?

• Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Foxy said:

Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup..
    Don't worry. De Bruyne wins it from here. Watch.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Not exactly. It must be treated very seriously. But if circumstances change or if the original prospectus turns out to be flawed, it can be looked at again.

Parliament overturning referendums has precedent, and recent ones at that.

Genuine question - which one(s)? It certainly isn't a UK wide one (yet). Are you referring to the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum, which had a turnout requirement applied to it BEFORE the vote?

Metro mayors?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138
    Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

Yes of course. The decision, although apparently binary, was anything but. The whole idea of a referendum shaped in the way it was, was daft beyond belief. I didn't see it at the time though, and I don't think others did either.

In some weak sense though we did all (those that voted and those that stayed home) vote to leave. That weak sense and how we hang on to it is exactly what democracy is in the uk. Difficult though it may be i'm pretty keen to hang on to it.

The result of a vote does not bind the voters to change their mind, nor does it bind the voters to avoid trying actively through the ballot box to reverse it.

If you stop and think about that proposition "we voted so you must agree under all circumstance not to do anything to change that", you are not describing democracy, but the END of democracy.

Fundamentally, democracy is a method. Individual decisions can be followed through, modified or even entirely reversed within that method.
    We voted to decide as to how to proceed on a proposition. By voting we all agreed that we'd abide by our collective decision.

It was only an advisory referendum, so by voting we all agreed that the government wouldn't be bound by the decision.

@kle4 suggests that the nature of advisory referenda is well known. He may be right, but I hope you and he will forgive me if I'm not convinced.

The idea that we should have a referendum to simply establish a proposition that the government wouldn't be bound by is preposterous. There would simply be no point in such a thing.
    Of course, you're entitled to your opinion.

But it's no more than a simple fact that the referendum wasn't binding.

One that you assented to by taking part in the referendum. Ignorance of the law is no defence ;-)
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

kyf_100 said:

Noo said:

Straight revoke ... is the diametric opposite of no deal.

Maybe that's precisely why some people like it. It certainly works for me!
    If you are comfortable with civil unrest so be it. I would have preferred Cameron to have kept his ridiculous referendum idea to himself, unfortunately he didn't
    Revoking would put us back where we were before Cameron's referendum.
    Anyone threatening violence following a democratically decided election would have to answer to the law.
    Good luck in putting /Establishment class will have conspired to prevent its implementation. You think that has no consequence?
    /blockquote>

And an election won by to support it at a general election.
    Which is why need a change to our electoral system. A Lib Dem majority and revoke would be the end of FPTP. That's sealed it for me, I'm definitely voting Lib Dem. Two birds with one stone.
    A LD majority may revoke er PR
    The LDs are not going to win a majority so this is all irrelevant.
    For now maybe not, in 10 or 15 yeae 2005
    I cannot see the LDs pushing the Tories into third no but they might do that to Labour, indeed a recent poll had an anti Brexit LDs on 30% with Corbyn Labour on just 17% on a Labour Brexit Deal platform with the Tories on 24%.

According to Electoral Calculus that would give LDs 257, Tories 163, Labour 138.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1144630145208246272?s=20

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=24&LAB=17&LIB=30&Brexit=19&Green=2&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    Polls are one thing! Reality another! I Remember Labour on 22% in the GE campaign in 2010. They got 30% or very close. A lot of Labour voters will not vote anything but Labour. I live amungst people who vote Labour in this way. They will never vote Tory and if you lived their life neither would you!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

That would seem to suggest the union is more important to the Lib Dems than the EU.
    Would be interesting to see whether there are unintended consequences of that, such as Lib Dems who are much keener on Europe and more ambivalent about the union breaking towards SNP instead of Tory. There might even be some Tories under that banner too, that would have broken towards the Lib Dems but might be forced to the SNP if the Lib Dems stand down.
    Detailed polling needed I think.
    One obvious potential problem is any clash with London HQ - esp as the mass media tend to emphasise the London message rather than the local party message - the Labour Party in Scotland has fallen foul of that in recent months.

Another is that the LDs may feel they have more to lose than gain from an alliance with the Tories - I should think there is a prima facie market for a pro-union, pro-remain party in Scotland.

Indeed the coalition with the Tories damaged the LDs very badly in Scotland and Ms Swinson has plenty of history from that episode that could be deployed against her if there was a suggestion of an alliance with the Tories.

I would be interested to know more about the legality of such things. It depends how up front the parties are. A formal coupon Unionist alliance is one thing, but quietly dialling down campaigning in specific seats is another. The situation in Aberdeen City Council gives a third possibility - deny up front, but enjoy the benefits de facto.
    I'm certain that a quiet soft-pedalling in certain constituencies happened in 2017. The comments from Kezia Dugdale before the election seemed to indicate that mindset was abound, and the literature distribution was reportedly quite uneven in a few parts of the country (I've heard a few examples but one example is Edinburgh South West, which neighbours a main Labour target and a separate main Lib Dem target apparently had very little unionist activity other than the Tories).
    Lib Dems are just another bunch of Tories, hopefully both of them get their just desserts for trying to rig things. Be especially good if Swinson gets dumped, why they want a carpetbagger running the constituency from Bath is beyond me, the fake would get a nosebleed coming north to Scotland
    Swinson could lose her Westminster seat and come back at Holyrood swiftly.

If I were LD I would have Swinson running for First Minister and leave Chuka to run for PM
    A comedian is born.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

Andy Burnham
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,063
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

That would seem to suggest the union is more important to the Lib Dems than the EU.
    Would be interesting to see whether there are unintended consequences of that, such as Lib Dems who are much keener on Europe and more ambivalent about the union breaking towards SNP instead of Tory. There might even be some Tories under that banner too, that would have broken towards the Lib Dems but might be forced to the SNP if the Lib Dems stand down.
    One obvious potential problem is any clash with London HQ - esp as the mass media tend to emphasise the London message rather than the local party message - the Labour Party in Scotland has fallen foul of that in recent months.

Another is that the LDs may feel they have more to lose than gain from an alliance with the Tories - I should think there is a prima facie market for a pro-union, pro-remain party in Scotland.

Indeed the coalition with the Tories damaged the LDs very badly in Scotland and Ms Swinson has plenty of history from that episode that could be deployed against her if there was a suggestion of an alliance with the Tories.

I would be interested to know more about the legality of such things. It depends how up front the parties are. A formal coupon Unionist alliance is one thing, but quietly dialling down campaigning in specific seats is another. The situation in Aberdeen City Council gives a third possibility - deny up front, but enjoy the benefits de facto.
    I'm certain that a quiet soft-pedalling in certain constituencies happened in 2017. The comments from Kezia Dugdale before the election seemed to indicate that mindset was abound, and the literature distribution was reportedly quite uneven in a few parts of the country (I've heard a few examples but one example is Edinburgh South West, which neighbours a main Labour target and a separate main Lib Dem target apparently had very little unionist activity other than the Tories).
    Lib Dems are just another bunch of Tories, hopefully both of them get their just desserts for trying to rig things. Be especially good if Swinson gets dumped, why they want a carpetbagger running the constituency from Bath is beyond me, the fake would get a nosebleed coming north to Scotland

If I were LD I would have Swinson running for First Minister and leave Chuka to run for PM
    What chance do you think there is of her coming to Scotland, zero.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Chris said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

One that you assented to by taking part in the referendum. Ignorance of the law is no defence ;-)
    Boris even said if no better deal than the status quo could be negotiated we should remain!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Chris said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

Indeed, but I'm not challenging the referendum.

I did suggest that I thought that there was a degree of democratic obligation surrounding it, but Mr Meeks pointed out that it was advisory, and thus my argument is at least partially undermined.

• Options
    Chris said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

But seriously, if you're in any doubt that the referendum result was only advisory in legal terms, take a look at the High Court's judgment in November 2016, para 106:
    https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/r-miller-v-secretary-of-state-for-exiting-eu-amended-20161122.pdf
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Who defected??
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

kyf_100 said:

Noo said:

Straight revoke ... is the diametric opposite of no deal.

Maybe that's precisely why some people like it. It certainly works for me!
    If you are comfortable with civil unrest so be it. I would have preferred Cameron to have kept his ridiculous referendum idea to himself, unfortunately he didn't
    Revoking would to the law.
    Good luck in putting /Establishment class will have conspired to prevent its implementation. You think that has no consequence?
    /blockquote>

And an election won by to support it at a general election.
    Which is why need a change to our electoral system. A Lib Dem majority and revoke would be the end of FPTP. That's sealed it for me, I'm definitely voting Lib Dem. Two birds with one stone.
    A LD majority may revoke er PR
    The LDs are not going to win a majority so this is all irrelevant.
    For now maybe not, in 10 or 15 yeae 2005
    I cannot see the LDs pushing the Tories into third no but they might do that to Labour, indeed a recent poll had an anti Brexit LDs on 30% with Corbyn Labour on just 17% on a Labour Brexit Deal platform with the Tories on 24%.

According to Electoral Calculus that would give LDs 257, Tories 163, Labour 138.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/ase
    Polls are one thing! Reality another! I Remember Labour on 22% in the GE campaign in 2010. They got 30% or very close. A lot of Labour voters will not vote anything but Labour. I live amungst people who vote Labour in this way. They will never vote Tory and if you lived their life neither would you!
    In the Euro elections when the LDs got 20%, Labour got just 14%, even lower than the 17% they were on in that poll.

Of course Labour will always be there, especially in the big northern and midlands cities and the poorer parts of London.

However having lost their Scottish heartlands to the SNP and some of their Welsh vote to Plaid, losing their middle class vote in wealthier parts of London and the South to the LDs and losing much of their working class vote to the Brexit Party and even the Tories Labour has no god given right to remain the main alternative to the Tories. In an election or 2 they may not be
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,337
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

But she IS Scottish, Malcolm!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I don't know.

However you are avoiding my questions above in a very politician like way.

Why do you think that is?

Because you’re asking a series of irrelevant questions and avoiding the only relevant one.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

But seriously, if you're in any doubt that the referendum result was only advisory in legal terms, take a look at the High Court's judgment in November 2016, para 106:
    https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/r-miller-v-secretary-of-state-for-exiting-eu-amended-20161122.pdf
    This is well trodden ground. Yes, it was advisory. Yes, political promises were made that the government would enact the decision. They have. It is parliament, sovereign over government, which has not.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

Andy Burnham
    And was there a referendum on whether to have a mayor in Manchester?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Who defected??

A good question. Is it to come, or psyops?
  • Options
    It's 2038. The UK, in accordance with new EU rules, has reintroduced the death penalty. However, those rules allow an opt out for member states, which the UK did not take up but could have if it wanted.

A party wins the 2039 election promising to hold an (advisory) referendum on the reintroduction of the death penalty and asks the question whether to keep it, or repeal it.

Repeal wins 52% to 48%.

The Government shouts, "Only kidding, it was only advisory. We only said it to win more votes." and fails to uphold the referendum. Later, someone is wrongly sent to the gallows.

That's fine then. It was, after all, only advice.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

>:)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

I'm certain that a quiet soft-pedalling in certain constituencies happened in 2017. The comments from Kezia Dugdale before the eist activity other than the Tories).

If Swinson lost her Scottish Westminster seat in a November general election to the SNP, the next Holyrood election in 2021 would be earlier than the next UK general election in 2024 and she could get a regional list seat at Holyrood even if she did not win a constituency seat
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

This is well trodden ground. Yes, it was advisory. Yes, political promises were made that the government would enact the decision. They have. It is parliament, sovereign over government, which has not.

Indeed. As you say, it's well trodden ground.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Reconsidering Independence? :)
    :p
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Spoke at the LibDem fringe on animal welfare today - it's been an odd quirk that they're the only major party without an AW group or MPs who have seemed especially interested, but this was the launch of such a group and it attracted 40 or so delegates. Good speech by Siobhan Benita, the London mayoral candidate - enthusiastic and didn't pretend to know everything.

The exhibition was a bit bigger than last year but still tiny compared with the Tories and Labour - I'd guess that their polling surge came after most companies had decided where to book, so they should have a real increase next year. Delegates cheerful and busy, older than I remember last year, with a good number of plucky very elderly delegates still pitching in there, as well as a fair number in the 30-50 range, though not many younger ones. Overwhelmingly white and generally middle-class - generally nice atmosphere.

PS Pshaw to the YouGov poll with its fantasy leading question flatly misstating the Labour position.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Reconsidering Independence? :)
    :p
    Never
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Omnium said:

Noo said:

Omnium said:

Andy Burnham
    And was there a referendum on whether to have a mayor in Manchester?
    Yes, in 2012 and 53% of voters rejected it but a mayor was introduced for Greater Manchester after a poll found more support for that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_English_mayoral_referendums
  • Options

Who defected??

Sam Gyimah and Rosie Duffield both heavily rumoured, but no announcement yet.
  • Options

PS Pshaw to the YouGov poll with its fantasy leading question flatly misstating the Labour position.

It is indeed ridiculous to state the Labour position. That would imply they have one.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Advisory my arse. Go ahead and annul the Leave vote and watch British democracy die.

The path of madness is paved with legal nitpicking.
  • Options

Who defected??

Sam G now confirmed.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder if Leave and Remain will have a punch up at the Last Night Of The Proms tonight? :D

If that happened it would be its only redeeming feature.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Advisory my arse. Go ahead and annul the Leave vote and watch British democracy die.

The path of madness is paved with legal nitpicking.

But you forget Byronic. The only votes that count are Remain votes. All others are invalid, because reasons.

Right, I'm off to play The Secret of Monkey Island for a bit. More sensible.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Squeaky bum time at Carrow Road.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1172936192536522752?s=20

No surprise, though he should have gone earlier, now we can get a pro Brexit Tory candidate to replace him
  • Options

Who defected??

Sam G now confirmed.
    A big gain for the Yellows, but one with zero chance of holding his seat at a general election. You could put a donkey up in that seat and if it wore a blue rosette it would win. Heck, even Dominic Cummings would probably just scrape home.
  • Options
    The City of Manchester ( one borough ) had a referendum on whether to have a directly elected mayor run its council services. It was a binding referendum, they voted No and they didn't get a mayor. Andy Burnham is the Mayor of Greater Manchester ( ten boroughs ) and runs strategic services not mentropolitan borough ones. The ' they ignored the Manchester referendum result ' is a common misconception but it's basically untrue. Andy Burnham covers a vastly larger geographic area and has a completely different set of powers than the proposition on the referendum ballot paper.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    algarkirk said:

The government enacted but parliament has not is like a salesperson saying they made the sale but the customer didn't buy. It's up to the executive to find the consensus position that the factions can sign up to. This government failed to get the consensus. They haven't tried particularly hard either.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No surprise, though he should have gone earlier, now we can get a pro Brexit Tory candidate to replace him

That will help him retain his seat.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That will help him retain his seat.
    A Leave-voting seat where the Tories got 60% in 2017, where UKIP came second in 2015, and where the Lib Dems start from third place on barely 10%?

Are you offering odds?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    algarkirk said:

No, no, no, no, no. ( And this matters in this context.) Parliamentary sovereignty does *not* mean that the HoC beats the government . It means that the acts of the Crown in parliament bear everything else, in other words that properly enacted statutes trump everything else
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    11% of Liberal Democrat MPs are black. And people used to say barely a month ago they had no MPs from the ethnic minorities. That's a rapid improvement. How did they do it ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,795
    edited September 2019

11% of Liberal Democrat MPs are black. And people used to say barely a month ago they had no MPs from the ethnic minorities. That's a rapid improvement. How did they do it ?

They were wrong a month ago. Moran is half Palestinian Arab.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Some ways of stating ratios are more useful than others . Do you think it useful to say that Jesus was betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples?
This discussion has been closed.