Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next general election vote shares by party betting

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,038
    nico67 said:

The Benn Bill has actually made the chances for a deal higher .

Because Bozo knows an extension could really hurt his election chances .

Boris has always preferred a Deal but would likely go into opposition rather than extend
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Foxy said:

Con under 20% worth a punt at 18/1 with odds boost. It was a good bet at the Euros and there are several scenarios where that sort of collapse is replicated, including both Deal and No Deal.

Similarly, LD on 30-40% at 20/1 is better value than LD most seats at 16/1, though I did get 500/1 on the latter after the 2017 GE.

How did they do in yesterday's by-elections?
    Two holds and a gain from con one con gain from ind
    Thanks.

So tending to confirm steady progress rather than a surge, it seems.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    tlg86 said:
    Who needs to stand aside to unseat Swinson?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749

Question for the Pb brains trust.

If the Belfast agreement is an impediment to the UK leaving the EU, is not a proposed Northern Ireland only backstop not a future problem for the EU?

If at a later date, Ireland wanted to join Schengen, it couldn’t as the CTA and the NI backstop would allow passport free access to British citizens to enter EU member states?

Possibly. But actually no-one wants a NI only solution, that's why it's a 'backstop". It doesn't solve the general question of what relationship with the EU does the UK want, that is realistic.

Sooner or later the UK will have to address that question, which is highly likely to lead to the UK being rule taking satellite of the European Union. Or just possibly it will cancel Brexit entirely. Either way the NI backstop becomes moot as it's incorporated into the wider relationship.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Noo said:

I’m going to Hartlepool on Sunday. I will report back... 🙄

There will be a lot of anger up there: an anger over Brexit, for sure, but also with a political elite that has, for decades, ignored this anger and sought to impose its own considerations and priorities over an angry populace. They are angry.
    I think we have to be careful how we define "anger". I am angry that we had a referendum on something so important that was run in such a simplistic way and was distorted both during and after the debate, but I am not going to man the barricades. Equally I am angry that Boris Johnson and the right wing entryists have wrecked the Conservative Party, but I am not about to do anything illegal to vent my spleen. People can be "angry", but there is a fundamental difference between being highly annoyed politically and civil unrest.
    I think as always it's a tiny minority who are overexcitable and actively want some kind of violence. And even of those, only a small number would have the bottle to do anything about it. And of those, a small minority would have the wit to do anything effective.

It's like on here. Those who talk up civil war number about 3, and one of those was stupid enough to actually make direct threats ("perhaps my punch in your fat smug, pig-ugly face will persuade you.. perhaps a bomb... we will come for you first"). I assume that person will be ejected from these boards when the moderators wake up. Certainly if they said these things in public they would be arrested and that's maybe the end of their insurrection.

The point is, you need to be angry enough to want violence, brave enough to commit it yourself, and discreet enough to keep your head down and not be noticed, and clever enough to think up something effective. There's almost nobody who fits those criteria.
    +1. The people who come out with this crap hope that it might frighten people into acquiescing to their extremist viewpoint.

That is no better than the extremist who killed Jo Cox
    Don't be an idiot. It is stupid and repulsive, and I say that as someone that loathes Farage. But no better? Really you do need to understand the difference between something stupid and provocative and an actual murder. They are a slightly different order of magnitude
    Remainer pin head dancing exceptionalism never fails to astound.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

There will be a lot of anger up there: an anger over Brexit, for sure, but also with a political elite that has, for decades, ignored this anger and sought to impose its own considerations and priorities over an angry populace. They are angry.
    I think we have to be careful how we define "anger". I am angry that we had a referendum on something so important that was run in such a simplistic way and was distorted both during and after the debate, but I am not going to man the barricades. Equally I am angry that Boris Johnson and the right wing entryists have wrecked the Conservative Party, but I am not about to do anything illegal to vent my spleen. People can be "angry", but there is a fundamental difference between being highly annoyed politically and civil unrest.
    I think as always it's a tiny minority who are overexcitable and actively want some kind of violence. And even of those, only a small number would have the bottle to do anything about it. And of those, a small minority would have the wit to do anything effective.

It's like on here. Those who talk up civil war number about 3, and one of those was stupid enough to actually make direct threats ("perhaps my punch in your fat smug, pig-ugly face will persuade you.. perhaps a bomb... we will come for you first"). I assume that person will be ejected from these boards when the moderators wake up. Certainly if they said these things in public they would be arrested and that's maybe the end of their insurrection.

The point is, you need to be angry enough to want violence, brave enough to commit it yourself, and discreet enough to keep your head down and not be noticed, and clever enough to think up something effective. There's almost nobody who fits those criteria.
    +1. The people who come out with this crap hope that it might frighten people into acquiescing to their extremist viewpoint.
    Yeah, and this is underscored by the unwillingness of those on the same side to condemn the threats of violence. You can be damned sure that if someone on the /other/ side had posted what was being posted last night, they'd have nothing else to talk about.
    I watched that with some fascination and thought he must of been on the falling down liquid. The moderaters should have stepped in, and one hopes he gets a warning at least, if only in his own best interests.

This is a peaceful Site, JackW's pie factory notwithstanding.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    nichomar said:

Foxy said:

Con under 20% worth a punt at 18/1 with odds boost. It was a good bet at the Euros and there are several scenarios where that sort of collapse is replicated, including both Deal and No Deal.

Similarly, LD on 30-40% at 20/1 is better value than LD most seats at 16/1, though I did get 500/1 on the latter after the 2017 GE.

I note the Conservatives held the thin blue line against the yellow peril in Rutland. Are there any estates for sale in the county ?!? .... :smiley:
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Foxy said:

Thanks.

St Marks, Rushmoor: Liberal Democrat hold, with a 7.2% swing from the Conservatives since May, 8.3% since 2018, 15% since 2016 and 24.3% since 2015.
    Ryhall and Casterton, Rutland: Conservative gain from Independent, swing not meaningful as uncontested last time.
    Bishop's Castle, Shropshire: Liberal Democrat hold, with a 1.8% swing from them to the Conservatives since 2017, but a 10.3% swing to them since both the 2016 by-election and 2013.
    Middleton Cheney, South Northamptonshire: Liberal Democrat gain from Conservative on a swing of 6.3%.
    Finedon, Wellingborough: Conservative hold, swing from Conservative to Independent if particularly meaningful (Independent didn't stand last time) is 14.9% (2016 b-e) and 15.9% (2015) respectively.

Read more: http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/12596/local-council-elections-12th-september#ixzz5zOIkzyc1
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    nichomar said:

Foxy said:

Yes, the Rutland one did have a pretty strong LD and Green vote, split 25% and 20%. Not surprised that Con won there, but for a True Blue place as Brexity as the villages around Stamford, not a very convincing Con gain.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Note that being asked whether you prefer one thing to another is clearly not understood as identical to being asked to make a straight choice between two things.
    What a shame he didn't campaign to leave! I make a little prediction (only for fun) that Boris Johnson's name will have the same type of reaction in another 6 months.
    On those figures Boris would trounce Corbyn, the main question being more if the LDs can overtake Corbyn Labour in voteshare
    On Theresa May's figures she was meant to trounce Corbyn, remember? Theresa May was a much more credible politician than Johnson, both in track record and honesty, and yet the campaign cracked her, in the same way it might with Boris Johnson. He is a walking calamity. A high profile GE will show him for what he is.

The only thing that will mitigate it for him is Corbyn. The electorate are being presented with two plates of shit flavoured gruel. They have select and consume the one that is slightly less repulsive.
    Boris is probably the most charismatic politician and best campaigner in British politics today, as two London Mayoral victories and an EU referendum win prove, May one of the worst, she was a technocrat manager and made gaffes like the Dementia Tax Boris would not.
    Dream on. You clearly have no understanding of what makes the quality of a genuine leader. You are a consumer and propagator of ludicrous propaganda. He was relatively popular at that time, and still is with a gullible few, because he has the ability to be amusing. He has the charisma of a game show host or a clown and nothing more. He is already being shown up for the lightweight that he is. He will go down in history as being even worse as a PM than Gordon Brown. POBWAS
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    algarkirk said:

Question for the Pb brains trust.

If the Belfast agreement is an impediment to the UK leaving the EU, is not a proposed Northern Ireland only backstop not a future problem for the EU?

If at a later date, Ireland wanted to join Schengen, it couldn’t as the CTA and the NI backstop would allow passport free access to British citizens to enter EU member states?

Yes and yes. The GFA/BA is an elaborate fudge designed quite rightly to bring peace. Moving any element of it will cause a further problem unless the further movement is towards a united Ireland, all either in or out of the EU, or a united Ireland and Great Britain (the New Zealand solution to having two big islands close to one another) either all in or all out of EU. Don't hold your breath. Apart from 800 years of tragic history the latter solution is so obvious it hardly needs comment, except that it is presented to us by the happenstance of tectonic plate movements. Where are Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King them you need them? For the moment the issue is not 'Will change cause problems?' but 'Who is holding the baby when the music temporarily stops?'

While the SNP agitate for separation. The joy of joined up thinking (not yours, Politicians and Nationalists)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    If Boris presented Mays deal to the public in a GE I reckon he’d win a comfortable majority
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,456
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

Noo said:

Agreed. The tweet is appalling. But what's @isam 's point - that there are idiots on both sides? Did we not all know that already?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Foxy said:

Thanks.

St Marks, Rushmoor: Liberal Democrat hold, with a 7.2% swing from the Conservatives since May, 8.3% since 2018, 15% since 2016 and 24.3% since 2015.
    Ryhall and Casterton, Rutland: Conservative gain from Independent, swing not meaningful as uncontested last time.
    Bishop's Castle, Shropshire: Liberal Democrat hold, with a 1.8% swing from them to the Conservatives since 2017, but a 10.3% swing to them since both the 2016 by-election and 2013.
    Middleton Cheney, South Northamptonshire: Liberal Democrat gain from Conservative on a swing of 6.3%.
    Finedon, Wellingborough: Conservative hold, swing from Conservative to Independent if particularly meaningful (Independent didn't stand last time) is 14.9% (2016 b-e) and 15.9% (2015) respectively.

Read more: http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/12596/local-council-elections-12th-september#ixzz5zOIkzyc1
    Noted with thanks.
  • Options

Tweet 4 is the key one. Everything turns on those words “... but only if UK produces serious proposals, which it has not yet done”.

Just so, but part of this tweet, 'an element of consultation for Stormont on rule changes could help', also seems to have an inherent problem. Which particular Stormont are they referring to, the one that hasn't sat for 2 years & 9 months?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

tlg86 said:
    Who needs to stand aside to unseat Swinson?
    The naughty answer is:

Nobody
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Boris has always preferred a Deal but would likely go into opposition rather than extend
    The Jeremy Corbyn Purity or Bust approach
  • Options
    isam said:

If Boris presented Mays deal to the public in a GE I reckon he’d win a comfortable majority

He voted against it twice, so an unlikely prospect.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Noo said:

Don't be an idiot. It is stupid and repulsive, and I say that as someone that loathes Farage. But no better? Really you do need to understand the difference between something stupid and provocative and an actual murder. They are a slightly different order of magnitude
    Crosshairs in a picture is not equal to actual murder, no? I assume that was NFs point.

I also remember Farage and co claiming milkshaking was akin to assassination attempts and assault.

"The enemy is weak and strong". They're goddamn snowflake cucks, who are all out to kill you and plotting with the EU to stop Brexit.
  • Options

I watched that with some fascination and thought he must of been on the falling down liquid. The moderaters should have stepped in, and one hopes he gets a warning at least, if only in his own best interests.

I thank my Deputy TOTY for his endorsement of the necessary culling of political dead weight and gastronomic recycling .... :naughty:
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    nichomar said:

Just finished mopping out house as water poured in under bedroom patio doors as it couldn’t escape off terrace quick enough. About five inches in 12 hours and still raining. It is worse in other areas a lot worse and life threatening.

Ah - sorry to hear that - down here near Mojacar we have a raging rambla beu otherwise ok.
  • Options
    JackW said:

nichomar said:

Foxy said:

I note the Conservatives held the thin blue line against the yellow peril in Rutland. Are there any estates for sale in the county ?!? .... :smiley:
    Man of your means would surely just buy the County, Jack. Or are you waiting for prices to drop after the anticipated No Deal chaos?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Note that being asked whether you prefer one thing to another is clearly not understood as identical to being asked to make a straight choice between two things.
    What a shame he didn't campaign to leave! I make a little prediction (only for fun) that Boris Johnson's name will have the same type of reaction in another 6 months.
    On those figures Boris would trounce Corbyn, the main question being more if the LDs can overtake Corbyn Labour in voteshare
    On Theresa May's figures she was meant to trounce Corbyn, remember? Theresa May was a much more credible politician than Johnson, both in track record and honesty, and yet the campaign cracked her, in the same way it might with Boris Johnson. He is a walking calamity. A high profile GE will show him for what he is.

The only thing that will mitigate it for him is Corbyn. The electorate are being presented with two plates of shit flavoured gruel. They have select and consume the one that is slightly less repulsive.
    Boris is probably the most charismatic politician and best campaigner in British politics today, as two London Mayoral victories and an EU referendum win prove, May one of the worst, she was a technocrat manager and made gaffes like the Dementia Tax Boris would not.
    Dream on. You clearly have no understanding of what makes the quality of a genuine leader. You are a consumer and propagator of ludicrous propaganda. He was relatively popular at that time, and still is with a gullible few, because he has the ability to be amusing. He has the charisma of a game show host or a clown and nothing more. He is already being shown up for the lightweight that he is. He will go down in history as being even worse as a PM than Gordon Brown. POBWAS
    Ummm... did we watch the same speech in front of that line of police last week? I never liked Cameron, but I could appreciate that he could string words together without looking like a complete twat. Johnson, on the other hand...
  • Options
    Mr TGOHF , you think a repulsive tweet is the equivalent of a murder too? Oh dear. No wonder leavers have no perspective on the importance of the rule of law.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

Noo said:

Gosh - this is why Pullman's tweet about hanging Boris is so evil.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

Noo said:

Well, it's terrible and is no better than Sarah Palin's 'crosshairs' map (https://gawker.com/5728545/shot-congresswoman-was-in-sarah-palins-crosshairs).
    However it's a long way better than an actual killing, which shouldn't need saying.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

The Jeremy Corbyn Purity or Bust approach
    Weak leadership masquerading as strong. They are led by the nose by the opinions of the dregs of their parties.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Noo said:

Agreed. The tweet is appalling. But what's @isam 's point - that there are idiots on both sides? Did we not all know that already?
    We should but there are plenty on here who think all the nastiness is from the Leave side.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Look, EU, we can fill the gaps on our shelves by trading with the southern hemisphere.

Still don't want to talk?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Foxy said:

Yes, the Rutland one did have a pretty strong LD and Green vote, split 25% and 20%. Not surprised that Con won there, but for a True Blue place as Brexity as the villages around Stamford, not a very convincing Con gain.
    Absolutely. I used to live there years ago. You do not get much more Conservative.
  • Options
    Some light relief now that the dangerous twat has been put out to grass.

https://twitter.com/Theuniondivvie/status/1172427856376254464?s=20
  • Options
    Noo said:

I think the 'punch in your fat smug, pig-ugly face will persuade you' line was directed at me. I'm relaxed about it though. If that poster is who we think it is, then it was just some rather expensive gin talking.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yeah.

I think I asked you previously about the validity of singing 'up to our knees in Fenian blood' but answer came there none. Any updates?
  • Options
    Rutland is a wonderful slice of England. Full of lovely villages and in Oakham and Uppingham they have two splendid small towns.

Well worth a visit.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,654

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

There is obviously a difference between being a leader and a campaigner.

I think HYUFD's statement is out there somewhat, although he did say probably. I do think Boris is a good campaigner (but not a good leader), but that view might change during the election when he is really put on the spot and he is susceptible to gaffs which he might not get away with so easily in the intensity of the campaign.

However probably the best in politics today? How about Farage? He is pretty useful at campaigning and nobody has any idea yet how Swinson will perform either. She has been ok so far and might blossom in a campaign.
  • Options
    Mr Felix, the nastiness is not all from the leave side, just most of it. Leave is a pretty nasty philosophy, based mostly on xenophobia and division. That said there are some perfectly pleasant people who voted leave, who are otherwise really good people, and would be open to compromise. The real nastiness is from the extremists and fanatics, and then there are the converts like HYUFD who call people he does not agree with "Traitors" and other childish and inaccurate and insulting epithets.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    Look, EU, we can fill the gaps on our shelves by trading with the southern hemisphere.

You dont think flying food from the Southern Hemisphere will involve checks? If you increase the volume of stuff flying in you are going to need more staff, which means more cost. If your importing bulk from South America in bulk and don't have checks what is to stop a pallet of cocaine getting through?

I would also question the environmental impact of flying fresh food from the Southern Hemisphere. The carbon footprint will be huge!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Rutland is a wonderful slice of England. Full of lovely villages and in Oakham and Uppingham they have two splendid small towns.

Well worth a visit.

Keep quiet about it please! Half of it's charm is most people don't know about it. It is the Cotswolds without the crowds of Londoners.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

JackW said:

Well worth a visit.

Keep quiet about it please! Half of it's charm is most people don't know about it. It is the Cotswolds without the crowds of Londoners.
    Whilst it's not quite in Rutland, I always think Stamford is like Oxford or Cambridge but without the horrible students (and tourists).
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    JackW said:

Well worth a visit.

And one particularly splendid small MP.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Noo said:

I think the 'punch in your fat smug, pig-ugly face will persuade you' line was directed at me. I'm relaxed about it though. If that poster is who we think it is, then it was just some rather expensive gin talking.
    It wasn’t him. It was me. It wasn’t gin. It was Rioja.
  • Options
    148grss said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Ummm... did we watch the same speech in front of that line of police last week? I never liked Cameron, but I could appreciate that he could string words together without looking like a complete twat. Johnson, on the other hand...
    I am sure HYUFD thought it was genius. I was reminded of the film "Police Academy". Perhaps Boris had someone under the rostrum distracting him? Good old BJ!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    felix said:

nichomar said:

Just finished mopping out house as water poured in under bedroom patio doors as it couldn’t escape off terrace quick enough. About five inches in 12 hours and still raining. It is worse in other areas a lot worse and life threatening.

Ah - sorry to hear that - down here near Mojacar we have a raging rambla beu otherwise ok.
    AP 7 closed just up the road tunnel flooded many other roads closed. It’s actually stopped now and trying to get some air through the place but it’s only a temporary lull.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Well worth a visit.

Whilst it's not quite in Rutland, I always think Stamford is like Oxford or Cambridge but without the horrible students (and tourists).
    +1
  • Options

Mr Felix, the nastiness is not all from the leave side, just most of it. Leave is a pretty nasty philosophy, based mostly on xenophobia and division. That said there are some perfectly pleasant people who voted leave, who are otherwise really good people, and would be open to compromise. The real nastiness is from the extremists and fanatics, and then there are the converts like HYUFD who call people he does not agree with "Traitors" and other childish and inaccurate and insulting epithets.

I'm unsure there is any evidence to support your assertion that there is more nastiness on one side or the other. Indeed your claim itself is really part of the problem. In my view both Pullman and the person shown upthread should both be prosecuted for incitement to violence along with anyone else who makes such suggestions.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JackW said:

Well worth a visit.

And one particularly splendid small MP.
    You mean the "Miniature for Rutland" or as he is affectionately known on PB - "Hunky Dinky Duncky" ?

Does @AndreaParma_82 still have multiple posters of him and a small shrine (could it be any other size) to the great little man ?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Well worth a visit.

+1
    When Rutland and Stamford was a constituency it must have been a joy to represent. Further I think that Rutland should annex Stamford into the county of Rutland and probably become a principality .... :smiley:
  • Options
    felix said:

I'm unsure there is any evidence to support your assertion that there is more nastiness on one side or the other. Indeed your claim itself is really part of the problem. In my view both Pullman and the person shown upthread should both be prosecuted for incitement to violence along with anyone else who makes such suggestions.
    Fascinating interview with kids author Michael “war horse” Morpurgo in today’s Guardian. He complains, as a Remainer, about being spat at in Sidmouth. Which is quite shocking.

Except there’s a small detail. He was wearing a “bollocks to Brexit” badge.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/13/michael-morpurgo-boy-giant-brexit-refugee-crisis-trump-civil-war?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

What did he honestly expect? He’s wearing a badge which says “bollocks to democracy” and which, to a Leaver, says, explicitly, “bollocks to your vote”. He’s lucky he wasn’t lamped, like the poseurs who wore MAGA baseball caps in downtown Hollywood. We live in polarised times.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Well worth a visit.

+1
    Agree. Stamford just in Lincolnshire, but don't tell anyone how wonderful that whole county is.

• Options
    Heard Fabian Picardo on R4 this morning, dismissing fears encouraged by the out of date Yellowhammer document. I expect similar updates will deal with the other terrible possible consequences it outlines over coming weeks.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1177445/Brexit-news-Gibraltar-no-deal-yellowhammer-documents-fabian-picardo-boris-johnson-eu
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Selebian said:

Sadly, I think isam's point was "let's stop talking about idiots on my side and let's talk about idiots on your side".

I don't know why it's so hard to condemn threats of violence /irrespective/ of what side they come from. Anyone who can't do that is saying that threats and violence are ok. But we already know that about some people.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

felix said:

Fascinating interview with kids author Michael “war horse” Morpurgo in today’s Guardian. He complains, as a Remainer, about being spat at in Sidmouth. Which is quite shocking.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/13/michael-morpurgo-boy-giant-brexit-refugee-crisis-trump-civil-war?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

What did he honestly expect? He’s wearing a badge which says “bollocks to democracy” and which, to a Leaver, says, explicitly, “bollocks to your vote”. He’s lucky he wasn’t lamped, like the poseurs who wore MAGA baseball caps in downtown Hollywood. We live in polarised times.
    Are we no longer a free country? Can people not express their political views for fear of assault?

Why are you willing to accept that?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

felix said:

You’re condoning spitting at people with different political views? Clearly the Rioja is still coursing through your veins. I’d recommend sleeping it off.
  • Options
    Mr. Byronic, one person wearing a t-shirt with a political slogan isn't justification for another to spit at them.

People get to hold and express views without being subject to such wretched behaviour. That's what democracy means, the freedom to hold different but valid perspectives.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

felix said:

Exactly. He expressed forbidden thoughts via his badge. Deserved everything he got he's lucky he got out alive.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,710
    nichomar said:

felix said:

nichomar said:

AP 7 closed just up the road tunnel flooded many other roads closed. It’s actually stopped now and trying to get some air through the place but it’s only a temporary lull.
    Blimey that looks pretty horrendous on the BBC. Here's hoping it calms down quickly for you @nichomar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-49680383/torrential-rain-has-caused-flooding-in-spain-and-the-balearics
  • Options

Byronic said:

felix said:

You’re condoning spitting at people with different political views? Clearly the Rioja is still coursing through your veins. I’d recommend sleeping it off.
    Not condoning it. Saying he should have expected it. If you wear a badge saying “your vote should be cancelled” then people who voted that way are going to be very very offended. Stop being disingenuous.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

We live in polarised times.

We sure do. You threatened me with violence a few hours ago, and I think what you said falls foul of the malicious communications act. I don't quite understand why you haven't been banned from this place for that.
  • Options
    We should have a thread on Rutland, clearly a small one to match its motto :

"Multum In Parvo" - Much In Little in direct comparison to Boris - Little In Much
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    FF43 said:

snippage...

Sooner or later the UK will have to address that question.....

Surely it is also the EU that might have to address that question? I can easily see a comedy situation twenty years from now, when we on here are discussing the problems of the NI backstop as a problem now the EU wants to become the USE.

"But Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern in 1998 didn't foresee that problem." will become "But Boris Johnson and Michel Barnier in 2019 didn't foresee that problem."

The EU can't accept the NI backstop anymore than we can. If they do, something will have to give sooner or later. As you say, either that involves the UK coming fully back into the EU voluntarily, the UK being some sort of puppet state of the EU, or Ireland leaving the EU.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

I expect most Biden voters were watching the Bucs-Panthers game last night. Probably a good thing for him.

No one can deny the power of the oncoming Warren Wagon. Get on board or get out of the way. My girl Lizzie Warren is going to clean up town.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

Not condoning it. Saying he should have expected it. If you wear a badge saying “your vote should be cancelled” then people who voted that way are going to be very very offended. Stop being disingenuous.
    So he was asking for it?
  • Options

Mr. Byronic, one person wearing a t-shirt with a political slogan isn't justification for another to spit at them.

People get to hold and express views without being subject to such wretched behaviour. That's what democracy means, the freedom to hold different but valid perspectives.

Leavers and righwingers get this shit all the time. Now it’s happening to bien pensant Guardian liberals in Sidmouth, when they are only asking that democracy be cancelled!, and they don’t like it. Spitting is stupid and offensive, wearing a “bollocks to Brexit” badge is the same.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:
    That is unbelievable. Like, I can't comprehend that figure.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

So he was asking for it?
    Absolutely. He wore a deliberately provocative and offensive badge. People were provoked and offended. He was literally asking for it. He wanted to annoy. Otherwise why wear it?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

I read this too. If Byronic and SeanT aren't the same person, Byronic must have been studying his posts for the last ten years because I can't see a fag rolls difference in style and tone (and what happens when they both get rolling drunk late at night) between the two posters.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

Perhaps you should publish an Atlas of safe areas where Remain supporters can go out in public. Maybe with isobars of Leaviness, with a steadily deepening colour marking the descent to Deliverance.

Right now No Deal Leavers are advocating a course of action that plays ducks and drakes with critical medical supplies and the worst that someone wearing a Brexit party badge could reasonably expect in inner London is conspicuous eye-rolling. Perhaps the moral panic about public disorder needs to be inverted.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Er, no.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    An offbeat irony about that tweet is that Wales isn't actually represented in the union jack.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

Perhaps you should publish an Atlas of safe areas where Remain supporters can go out in public. Maybe with isobars of Leaviness, with a steadily deepening colour marking the descent to Deliverance.

Right now No Deal Leavers are advocating a course of action that plays ducks and drakes with critical medical supplies and the worst that someone wearing a Brexit party badge could reasonably expect in inner London is conspicuous eye-rolling. Perhaps the moral panic about public disorder needs to be inverted.
    This is nonsense. UKIP MPs were regularly assaulted. Tory activists were spat at in their Manchester conference. This crap has been happening for years but it’s always been directed at the right, so you didn’t notice, or you condoned it.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

So he was asking for it?
    Absolutely. He wore a deliberately provocative and offensive badge. People were provoked and offended. He was literally asking for it. He wanted to annoy. Otherwise why wear it?
    Depends I suppose on whom you give the right of being offended to. Those righteous souls who voted Leave. Anyone else allowed to be offended by someone's expression of their thoughts or personality or character or behaviour or gender?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,027

https://twitter.com/leobarasi/status/1172397804745940996?s=20

Which is why SindyRef2 can’t be a rerun of SindyRef1.....

Unionists scared they will lose so want to rig the question yet again. Always whining about us being subsidy junkies yet absolutely desperate to hang on to us , you could not make it up , what a bunch of crooks.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,805
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Well worth a visit.

Evidently it dodged a bullet -

http://liberalengland.blogspot.com/2011/06/oxford-cambridge-and-stamford.html
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Labour will be in terrible trouble if Johnson manages to get a deal.

With the right wing press lauding it and if the ERG get behind it all of a sudden the NI backstop which will be the same thing but just had its name changed will be the best thing ever .

Labour know if a deal gets through Johnson will see a surge in support, if he gets a deal but it’s voted down a GE will see his mantra as the opposition blocking Brexit more powerful than ever .

The opposition know their best chance is no deal being agreed and an extension .

• Options
    If there was a referendum held tomorrow on Wales becoming an independent country and this was the question, how would you vote? Should Wales be an independent country?
    Yes 24
    No 52
    WNV 6
    DK 14
    Refused 3

And please imagine a scenario where the rest of the UK left the European Union but Wales could remain a member of the European Union if it became an independent country. If a referendum was then held in Wales about becoming an independent country and this was the question, how would you vote? Should Wales be an independent country?
    Yes 33
    No 48
    DK 17
    Refused 3

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/4lav01m6zl/PlaidCymruResults_190910_Independence_W.pdf
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

I'm unsure there is any

This is nonsense. UKIP MPs were regularly assaulted. Tory activists were spat at in their Manchester conference. This crap has been happening for years but it’s always been directed at the right, so you didn’t notice, or you condoned it.
    I seem to remember one ukip mep assualting another! :wink:
  • Options
    Britain may not be as divided as is widely thought, a new review of academic evidence and polling data finds.

While clear divisions have surfaced in parliament in recent weeks, the report says it is less clear that similar divisions are replicated across the many issues facing the country.

The review, carried out by the Policy Institute at King’s College London for Engage Britain, finds that many aspects of attitudes and identity in the UK are converging rather than polarising, such as views on gender equality, same-sex relationships and racial prejudice. It also cites research across 2018 and 2019 that shows a significant consensus on key public policy challenges, such as the way to protect the environment, fund health and social care and lift families out of poverty.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/feelings-not-facts-are-dividing-britain
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Is there a single person in Europe, outside European politics, who could name all of those people? I doubt it. I literally don’t believe there is such a European person. And yet this is our new and entirely unelected European government. Our new overlords.

Brexit in a photo.

• Options
    Mr. Byronic, if a Leaver is being spat upon for a t-shirt expressing that view, it's also unacceptable.

That does not justify spitting on people for holding a contrary political view.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

I'm unsure there is any

There have only ever been three UKIP MPs. Have any of them ever been assaulted?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

With the right wing press lauding it and if the ERG get behind it all of a sudden the NI backstop which will be the same thing but just had its name changed will be the best thing ever .

Labour know if a deal gets through Johnson will see a surge in support, if he gets a deal but it’s voted down a GE will see his mantra as the opposition blocking Brexit more powerful than ever .

The opposition know their best chance is no deal being agreed and an extension .

Those 'if's are doing a lot of work there.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,933
    Wales is far more integrated into England and Wales than Scotland or Northern Ireland are into the United Kingdom. A real non starter.
  • Options

Mr. Byronic, if a Leaver is being spat upon for a t-shirt expressing that view, it's also unacceptable.

That does not justify spitting on people for holding a contrary political view.

He thinks bombs and punches are legitimate. You have a long way to go to convince him that spitting is wrong.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

https://twitter.com/leobarasi/status/1172397804745940996?s=20

Which is why SindyRef2 can’t be a rerun of SindyRef1.....

Unionists scared they will lose so want to rig the question yet again. Always whining about us being subsidy junkies yet absolutely desperate to hang on to us , you could not make it up , what a bunch of crooks.
    It's hilarious that Unionist that have been on 24/7 repeat that there shouldn't and won't be a second Indy ref are now trying to demand the form of the question for that second Indy ref that shouldn't and won't take place.
  • Options
    Hookem 1 - 0 Woolfe in the heavyweight UKIP MEP championship
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

I'm unsure theresuggestions.

So he was asking for it?
    Depends I suppose on whom you give the right of being offended to. Those righteous souls who voted Leave. Anyone else allowed to be offended by someone's expression of their thoughts or personality or character or behaviour or gender?
    Should you be allowed to wear a Star of David Israeli flag tee shirt around Luton or Tower Hamlets? Yes. You should. It’s a free country.

Could the police guarantee your safety? No. Because it’s a childishly provocative and pointlessly offensive thing to do - like wearing a Bollocks to Brexit badge. Morpurgo is a fool.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Ifs are all we have at the moment . The big curveball would be if the SC uphold the Scottish decision , that could open up a Pandora’s Box of issues for Bozo .
  • Options

nico67 said:

A deal is his obvious play. Falling off a log easy. As we have seen, this sh&t just got real and if he brings a deal back to the house. May's deal rolled in glitter, for example, then every MP who votes against it can be charged with wanting no deal. Which is of course their right, if they are Mark Francois and have been advocating no deal all along. But not if they are Lab MPs who are apparently dedicated to no no deal.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

I'm unsure there is any

MEP. It was a couple of years ago in a part of the EU parliament. Nothing to do with UKIP MP's just to clarify!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712

If there was a referendum held tomorrow on Wales becoming an independent country and this was the question, how would you vote? Should Wales be an independent country?
    Yes 24
    No 52
    WNV 6
    DK 14
    Refused 3

And please imagine a scenario where the rest of the UK left the European Union but Wales could remain a member of the European Union if it became an independent country. If a referendum was then held in Wales about becoming an independent country and this was the question, how would you vote? Should Wales be an independent country?
    Yes 33
    No 48
    DK 17
    Refused 3

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/4lav01m6zl/PlaidCymruResults_190910_Independence_W.pdf

Those are quite impressive figures. Clearly being pro-EU is driving Welsh Nationalism, perhaps because Brexitism is so dominated by English Nationalists.

Though if a seamless border is do-able in Ireland, why not at Hadrian's wall and Offa's dyke?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    Mmmm, it looks like the actual figure is 33% and DNK / refused have been reallocated. Makes a good headline though.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

I'm unsure there is any

Not condoningenuous.
    Perhaps you should publish anconspicuous eye-rolling. Perhaps the moral panic about public disorder needs to be inverted.
    Yes. Carswell. You didn’t notice because, subconsciously, you thought it was fair enough. QED

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/27/ukip-mp-douglas-carswell-surrounded-anti-austerity-protesters-london
  • Options
    Spitting is absolubtely disgustingly vile, I'd rather someone try and thump me if I was in public life.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,183
    edited September 2019
    Noo said:

Byronic said:

We live in polarised times.

We sure do. You threatened me with violence a few hours ago, and I think what you said falls foul of the malicious communications act. I don't quite understand why you haven't been banned from this place for that.
    Apparently it's an arcane PB rule that licence on saying any old outrageous shit when pished applies to all incarnations of certain individuals. The UK constitution has nothing on this place.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hookem 1 - 0 Woolfe in the heavyweight UKIP MEP championship

That is the assualt I was thinking about. Terrible.
This discussion has been closed.